Mario Kart 8 Club Nintendo Promotion Offers a Free Wii U Game

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Choice of 10 in Europe, 4 in North America

After what were undoubtedly constant requests from fans — referenced directly by Satoru Iwata — Nintendo has unleashed new Mario Kart 8 Nintendo Direct broadcasts to reveal more about the upcoming Wii U blockbuster. Though regional variations were generally minor, there were subtle differences such as a free game promotion for those that pick up the racer.

In both Europe and North America you have until 31st July to register your copy of Mario Kart 8 on Club Nintendo, including codes with standard and limited editions, as well as console bundles and copies bought directly from the eShop; in return you'll receive a free download code for a retail title. In Europe you'll have a choice of 10 games, while in North America the list includes four titles; below are the choices that Mario Kart 8 early adopters will have.

Europe

North America

• New Super Mario Bros. U
  • Pikmin 3
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
  • Wii Party U

Combined with upcoming Mario Kart 8 hardware bundles, the offer of a free game could certainly tempt new adopters; for existing Wii U owners, meanwhile, this seems like a good chance to boost that game collection.

Are you planning to pick up Mario Kart 8, and if so which free game will you claim?

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

if i would have an HD TV and some money i would definetly get a WiiU NOW !!

TheWhiteFalcon

TheWhiteFalcon said:

I've been nervous about getting Pikmin 3 because I haven't played a previous title in the series. Probably get it.

outburst

outburst said:

I'm going to get WW physical so I'm torn between pikmin3, w101 and sonic. Hmmnnmm....

MrCanzine

MrCanzine said:

So for $69 or whatever retail price I get Mario kart 8 and one of these games? That's a damn good deal, considering they're real and recent games. After reading the headline I assumed they were offering old VC games, free bubble bobble!

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I will be getting WW, finally. Thankfully it is a very small download.

If I were in Europe, I would be getting MH instead. And I urge people to give The Wonderful 101 a chance, it will be free this time!

ikki5

ikki5 said:

too bad Sonic Lost World is not on the NA promotion, it is the only game I do not already own on those lists. I wonder if i could sell the download code....

Heiki

Heiki said:

This is no good because I'm not interested in Wii Party U and already own the other three, but I guess this is great for those who don't.

@simonsskidor Brazil doesn't have Club Nintendo either, but I have a North American account.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

Does this mean that Wii Party U is finally getting a digital release? I wonder if they'll sell to general public as well (and what the price will be). I'll probably get Pikmin 3 as I'm still holding out hope for a NSMBU+NSMLU eShop bundle deal in the future...

FalconPunch

FalconPunch said:

COME ON, EUROPE! THIS IS UNFAIR! I WANT SOME OF THE GAMES ON THAT LIST, AND I ALREADY HAVE THE ONES IN THE AMERICA LIST! That settles it. I'm moving to Europe.

Ultrasyd

Ultrasyd said:

That's a cool offer ! I watched the US direct, then t=took a look at the European one for this good surprise :)

AlexOlney

AlexOlney said:

Excellent offer, I've been looking for an excuse to get the Wii U version of MH3 to go alongside my 3DS version for a while now.

dizzy_boy

dizzy_boy said:

Getting the download maybe the way to go, especially as I'm taking advantage of the super mario kart VC deal.

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

The NA offer blows compared to the UK one. I already own three of those four games and don't really want Wii Party U. I'd love to download Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate or The Wonderful 101 instead. Oh well. I guess if it's free, there's no harm in getting Wii Party U as a reward for buying a game i was going to buy anyway.

QBertFarnsworth

QBertFarnsworth said:

Any guesses on the file size of MK 8? I'm not sure I can cram both this and a new game on my Wii U hard drive

Yrreiht

Yrreiht said:

Alright, moving to Europe as soon as possible. The promotions NA gets are a joke compared to EU

rjejr

rjejr said:

@ThomasBW84 - Thanks for the offer to clarify. I only buy disc and considering Nitneodos history I'm pretty much shocked and awed that you can buy a game on disc to get a code for a free DL copy of a game like Pikmin 3 or WW HD. Guess I'll be playing WW after all. :-)

Shworange

Shworange said:

That sucks. I have all four of those games already! I guess I'll try to sell the code on eBay.., Although I'd be suspicious of buying codes on the internet from a third party, so it may be hard to sell it.

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

My jaw dropped when they said this news in the direct OoO

If Nintendo wants Mario Kart to boost sales they are definitly not holding back in any way!
Now I can't wait even more to get MK8 (despite I was already at max hype without needing any bonus XD; ).

greeeco

greeeco said:

@gsmaciel No it's either all you have to do is register the game with either the code in the box or instantly if you downloaded it

lckulczak

lckulczak said:

Yes!!! I'll be getting New Super Mario Bros. U plus that $10 in gas money for pre-ordering at Best Buy!

erv

erv said:

This... this is incredible! I'll be getting my wind waker with my karting woohoo!

DreamyViridi

DreamyViridi said:

I've been registered for quite some time but haven't used it in ages. I guess now's a good time to start using Club Nintendo again!

2Sang

2Sang said:

Wow. I might have to pick up MK8 even though I don't own a wii u yet.

elstif

elstif said:

Thanks Nintendo, that´s the kind of promotion that makes your customers happy and it might help move some units too.

Now I have to decide between Sonic and W101 (I own the other ones I´m interested in).
I think the download size is going to decide for me as I´m not planning to get a HDD (I always buy retail) and I want to leave enough internal storage for VCs and Indi titles.

SLiM

SLiM said:

The only one of those titles I don't have is Wii Party U. I knew I should have put off buying Pikmin 3! :-P

kereke12

kereke12 said:

Sucks that we only get 4, but I'm excited and the game choice is The Legend Of Zelda: Wind Waker HD. :D

Marshi

Marshi said:

I stupidly traded in monster hunter and been pining for it ever since. Cant find it at retail at all and was so close to spending a ridiculous amount on ebay for a copy. Now I dont have to! Bloody brilliant nintendo,please advertise this in shops,on tv,everywhere! Buying a wiiu for mario kart 8 alone will be a good investment for people,but marin kart 8 AND a free game? Thats almost impossible to resist im sure.

zeldagaymer93

zeldagaymer93 said:

@TheWhiteFalcon It is a fantastic game! And you don't really need to have played the previous games in the series to have fun with PIkmin 3! It's definitely in my top 3 favorite games on Wii U.

Klunk23

Klunk23 said:

Wish the American selection had Sonic. Well looks like it's time to try Pick in. As I already have Mario and Zelda.

theexxs

theexxs said:

@6ch6ris6 the wii U actually has a component video output, so you don't really need an HDTV to use it, if your SDTV has an component video input, then you can use it with your Wii U, of course this cable it's sold separately.

There's also the fact that the Wii U has it's own screen, so you don't really need a TV, except for the first time you set it up.

Sakura

Sakura said:

Good move! Thanks Nintendo! And thanks to the generous Europeans too. Why is the US offer so stingey in comparison?

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

So this applies to buying Mario Kart 8 physically too?

I wish we Americans could have the option of Sonic, so I'm split between Pikmin 3 and Wii Party U.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

I might even get the game at launch now. I've got my sight set on the limited edition and the free download should offer enough value to make its price look right to me.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

It'll have to be Wii Party U for me, since it's the only one of the four I don't have.

Christoff

Christoff said:

Say what you want about Nintendo but this makes me the consumer very happy!

The only challenge will be deciding whether to play Mario Kart 8 or Wind Waker first.

allav866

allav866 said:

Why does NoA always give players the shorter end of the stick? I'd much rather have Sonic Lost World than Wii Party U.

KamenRiderClive

KamenRiderClive said:

Bah, why's the American list so limited? I already own all of those! TT_TT
Very good idea for a promotion, though. Hope they do it again in the future with an expanded selection.

eleccross

eleccross said:

I want both Monster Hunter and Wonderful 101!!! Why is this deal so unfair for America. We could at least have a few more games but why only 4?! I love nintendo and have never really disagreed with them but the difference in games is kind of stupid.

Longaway

Longaway said:

Sweet! Too bad I already have three out of the four NA offerings. Not going to complain, though. Might be nice having Pikmin 3 or Wii Party U on a hard drive.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

To those North Americans who already have three of the four games... Wii Party U is great fun! Don't hesitate. It's worth the download just for the GamePad-only games, and that's a tiny part of the package. With friends, Name That Face and Do U Know Mii (or whatever it's called) are super-fun, too.

ktribal

ktribal said:

I don't have a WiiU yet, but could I maybe buy the game in advance for the code (anfd the game) and then buy the console later this year?
Would that work? :O

ktribal

ktribal said:

Would that work? :O

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

With this offer, I have two options:

(1) Pay full price for Mario Kart 8 and download Wii Party U or Pikmin 3, though I've already played and finished the latter.
(2) The cheapskate option: Trade in either NSMBU or Wind Waker HD to save myself a few bucks on Mario Kart 8, then download whichever one I traded after registering MK8 at Club Nintendo.

Either way, Mario Kart 8. :)

Judah_83

Judah_83 said:

Its gonna be tuff between windwaker HD and wii party U bc I have friends over all the time stoner so Im leaning towards WPU but then again idk...

kensredemption

kensredemption said:

Crap...we don't have a lot of choices in the US, but even I can't make up my mind. ARGH! What do I choose?!

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

I wanted Wii U Party around but didn't really want to pay for it. Problem solved thanks to this offer. I'm getting Mario Kart 8 for $48 with Best Buy's GCU, plus a $10 gift card, plus another WiiU full retail game? Hot damn.

HeroOfCybertron

HeroOfCybertron said:

So there's no catch, like in other free game promotions where you had to register some other game that came out months ago? It's just that in every other free game promotion I've either had all the free games offered already or registered already the games and systems in the promotion.

Yosher

Yosher said:

The only one of those I don't have yet is Game & Wario, so the choice is easy for me although I still rather have had it boxed. But hey, can't pass up a free game.

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

@FullbringIchigo @theexxs @kereke12
i know i could use my standart definition tv, but i don't want to play such a gorgeus game on such a bad TV. i played my wii on that tv and later got a HDTV and it was wayyyyyyy better on the bigger screen. my current tv only has mono sound. that sucks hard

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

Aw boo I would have liked sonic lost world, oh well I don't have wwHD yet so that's it for me, and I do like that game.

Emblem

Emblem said:

I have most of these games so I may trade a hardcopy and get MK8 cheaper, awesome promotion :) .

sugarshack

sugarshack said:

@TheWhiteFalcon

Don't be. They do a great job of on the learning curve early on to get you comfortable with what needs to be accomplished. It was my first pikmin, wasn't great at it but wasn't awful either. Really fun.

bSMPlays

bSMPlays said:

I can't believe people aren't going crazy about this. I already pre-ordered MK8, but now I'm going to get Pikmin 3 for free!

My only concern is, will this deal be applicable in Canada? It should be as it says North America, but it seems too good to be true. :(

Park_Triolo

Park_Triolo said:

Hmmm... I live in Denmark, but I have a UK Club Nintendo account... should work, or what do you guys think?! I was considering buying Mario Kart 8 on Amazon.co.uk then register it for my free game and then get either Wind Waker or Monster Hunter.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Nice! Now they only need to advertise the promotion on TV, and people will storm the shelves left and right! That's SO worth getting MK8 for!

Monster Hunter for me, nuff said. I'll buy W101 since I demand the retail version!

Ryno

Ryno said:

Wish W101 was an option for NA but I'm cool with getting Pikmin 3. Nice deal!

GooRoo

GooRoo said:

Slim pickings for NA, I already have all of those. :( I wish I could get Monster Hunter.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

Tesco are now offering the MK8 bundle for £199 (25% off). Very good price for the console and 2 top games.

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

Amazing promotion! Decisions, decisions... Mario & Sonic, W101, or finally replacing my boxed Nintendo Land with a digital copy? Own the others already (except Wii Party, but I don't want it.) Plus when you combine that with the Super Mario Kart promotion, I get $10 off MK8 and a free game!

Donutman

Donutman said:

im going to sell my disc copy of Mario, then use that money to buy Mario kart and a digital version of Mario bros. I love you Nintendo. this is what I did when I upgraded my 3ds to the Zelda edition. got digital Link to Past 2.

Specters

Specters said:

Sucks I own all those games for North America, wish we had Sonic Lost World been meaning to pick that up.

Spuratis

Spuratis said:

Now THAT'S a good promotion. I highly suggest Pikmin 3 to those of you considering this offer.

YorkshireNed

YorkshireNed said:

Wow, I'm sold. I've been meaning to get a Wii U for ages but this is the deal breaker. I'm going to overtime until I burst to get me MH3U!

Leonn

Leonn said:

Lame. For us in America anyway. I would have seriously considered it if the Olympic games were allowed for us.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Wow, first I get a 3DS XL right on time with the Pokemon X/Y promotion (after buying Animal Crossing) and now I get to get New Super Mario Bros. U after buying a MK8 + Wii U bundle... I love it when a plan comes together :)

yokokazuo

yokokazuo said:

I would get game and wario or sonic lost world if it was for wii u, I own the games that are available for na(although wii play u is on my Japanese wii u) so I'll probably get an English version of it now. Wanted lost world for the Zelda dlc(downloaded, but I don't have the game yet).

Dauntless

Dauntless said:

What the hell?! Only 4 choices in NA and I already have all those games. Guess the code is going up on eBay.

sevex

sevex said:

This is awesome! I've been holding out on Wind Waker HD, and wasn't totally sure about Mario Kart 8, but now it's an easy decision if I'll get two games for the price of one.

Lastar

Lastar said:

@simonsskidor In Denmark we don't have Club Nintendo either. Do note that physical or digital copies does not come with keys in scandinavia so go grab it from Amazon or something.

outburst

outburst said:

@Miss_Dark
Okay thanks. I've been doing some research and reading reviews and I'm inclined to get pikmin3 among the 3. I never like the W101 demo and the sonic demo anyway. Plus I can get sonic for 30 euros now.
I will get pikmin 3 by then if I won't change my mind getting wind waker in physical disc

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

That is very cool. I have most of those games already, but for Wind Waker and the Sonic games. I'd be inclined to take Wind Waker - assuming we're talking a download code and not a disc!

Finntendo

Finntendo said:

@Park_Triolo

I was wondering the same (I live in Finland with UK CN account) and been registering my points. Of course the only reason for it has been WiiPoints. Even it feels silly nowadays.

Anyways, I think it might work (I've preordered mine from UK, since I buy almost 95% of my games there). If so, there will be some serious thinking between MH3U, W101 aaand Sonic..and yes, Pikmin 3. Even Sonic is cheapest - that's why MH3U is ahead since it is keeping its price better than others (and I already have Party U, NSMBWU, WW and NL.

MH3U even tho I lost interest with MH3 somewhere along the Volcano Quests (The last memory is thos stupid ants poisoning me, while getting the hot stones)

Action51

Action51 said:

Is it odd I don't have any of the 4 North American games being offered?

I must decide Windwaker HD or Pikmin 3.

mike_intellivision

mike_intellivision said:

Not sure why NA only has four games while EU has 10.
Does not matter — I have all 10 games being offered to Europe.
Thinking I might DL WiiPartyU to have easy access to it.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

Just yesterday I was wondering if Nintendo would do a promotion like this, since they've done several "free game" promotions on the 3DS. I even guessed that if they did such a promotion, Wind Waker would probably be one of the choices, and would probably be the game I'd choose. Weird coincidence.

FX102A

FX102A said:

I actually cancelled my special edition from the Nintendo UK shop after I needed to cut back on purchases in May (the extras weren't really worth it IMHO), but I still hope to pick up a standard edition before 31st July.

Nintendo should take lessons from NIS America, their special editions are really something else (or even those who put together the Last Story and Pandora's Tower Special Editions, who doesn't want a Mario Kart steelbook or a collection of famous Track Tracks on a CD?)

Pod

Pod said:

I got excited for a moment there, and then recalled that Scandinavia NEVER is included in these deals.

Probably still getting it though.

t3g

t3g said:

I don't understand why NA gets shafted on these deals considering the Wii U fanbase and market in general is much bigger here than in Europe. I have most of those games and would like to get Nintendoland out of the deal. Why not make them equal in all countries?

This sucks.

SecondServing

SecondServing said:

I'm hoping that this bundle moves at least 1 million units for Wii U but if Nintendo ain't going to market it until the Fall what's the f-ing point?

shigulicious

shigulicious said:

So this isnt just for the console bundle? Seriously, awesome despite only 4 games yo choose from.

FalconPunch

FalconPunch said:

@whodatninja
Well, yeah...
I still wish I could get Game and Wario or Mario and Sonic. I have every game on the US list except for Zelda, and I don't like Zelda.

dkxcalibur

dkxcalibur said:

I've had my eyes on Zelda, Pikmin, and Wii U Party so I'm excited. I already pre-ordered Kart at Target to get a $5 gift card. I'm most likely going to download Zelda but Pikmin is a possibility. I would rather buy Wii U Party and get the free Wiimote+. Nintendo is really working hard to make people happy. This comes after the awesome free Pokemon deal, which I also took advantage of.

I'm not sure I'll have enough room on my HD though after downloading DKCTF.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Nintendo doing whatever they can to keep their fans, but cool anyway. Can't decide between Wind Waker and Pikmin 3. Probably will go with Wind Waker.

ToniK

ToniK said:

It's quite unfair if some parts of Europe (or world for that matter) are excluded. I'm a bit worried about this but if I order a copy from UK to be sure I get the code and use my UK account on Club Nintendo it could work I guess.

SecondServing

SecondServing said:

Once again the Brits get better deals... this happened with the 3DS, now it's happening with the Wii U.

XyVoX

XyVoX said:

This is essentially 2 for 1 on WiiU premium games, think im gonna have to jump on the WiiU boat now and get one perhaps the Mario Kart bundle.

brewsky

brewsky said:

Well then, it looks like I'm getting two free games, since I'm buying two copies of Mario Kart 8, one for my sister's birthday and one for myself. My sister already has all but Pikmin 3 (North America, not Europe, so there is a lack of selection) and she is not interested in that.

Therefore, my two games of choice will be Pikmin 3 and The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD.

AcesHigh73

AcesHigh73 said:

At last, an opportunity to finally grab the Wonderful 101..!!! Well, maybe. I've played through my brothers copy of NSMBU, but still haven't bought it myself. Hmmm... Maybe I should go for that instead and grab the New Super Luigi DLC to go with it? I pretty much have all the others already — the ones I want, that is.

millarrp

millarrp said:

pikmin 3 is the only one on the list I don't have yet so that's the top contender right now. Although I'm tempted to get the digital copy of nsmbu and use the credit from my physical copy towards smash brothers.

123akis

123akis said:

AWESOME!! I'm not sure if I should go with New super mario bros U or the wonderful 101

ZenTurtle

ZenTurtle said:

I suppose Nintendo have realised the obvious - their console is HIDEOUSLY OVERPRICED!

UltraLaserTen

UltraLaserTen said:

If only Nintendo Land was a choice here.
I already have Wind Waker HD so choosing between the other three choices will be difficult for me.

DiscoGentleman

DiscoGentleman said:

I already own all 4 of the NoA selections, but I might sell my physical copy of NSMBU and get a download. But I have the Luigi DLC- does anyone know if Luigi U can be used without a problem on the DL version of NSMBU if I've been using it already on my physical copy of NSMBU?
Should, right?

dok5555555

dok5555555 said:

For those that have played Wii Party U, can you tell me if it's any good for solo play? I know the focus is multiplayer but is it worth it for mostly just solo? Also is it worth it over Zelda WW HD if I've already played and beatin the Gamecube version? (I have the other two games already in North America.)

brewsky

brewsky said:

@ZenTurtle It would be overpriced if they were making a profit, which they are not. Even with the $350 price point, they were still losing money with each console they sold.

brewsky

brewsky said:

@DiscoGentleman DLC is tied to the console, not the disc. You should be fine.

The only problem you run into is that you need some form of the game, either physical or digital to play the DLC. Getting a digital version of NSMBU would work in your case.

jpfan1989

jpfan1989 said:

Well I already have half the games on both of the lists. I wish Sonic Lost World was on the NA list, id go for that.

ZenTurtle

ZenTurtle said:

@brewsky
No, it's still overpriced! The wii u has a 3 core processor- put it this way, £200 laptops usually have a quad- core processor. Along with 2gb ram- again, these same laptops often have 4gb ram. Now, I know that the specifications aren't everything, and that Nintendo have invested a lot of R&D resources into the development of the console. No doubt the games are good, too, but i was merely stating the fact that for what it is, the Wii U really is overpriced for what you get. We all know why it costs so much- that gamepad screen can't be cheap.

brewsky

brewsky said:

@ZenTurtle The GamePad itself is expensive, not just the screen. It's an impressive piece of technology.

Also, you should never buy those cheap laptops. They're pieces of crap that die out on you within a year.

Dezsi

Dezsi said:

@simonsskidor

You should be registered to the UK's Club Nintendo (and have your console set to the UK region — though I'm not sure this is necessary), and you should be able to reap the benefits of the promotional offers. I know I did many a time, and we sure as hell don't have a Club Nintendo where I live. :D

Dizzard

Dizzard said:

I'd probably be between Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD and Wonderful 101.

Having played the original Wind Waker though it not be the best choice....although it is my favourite Zelda game.

I'm not sure I want Mario Kart 8 though, I might take a chance and hope Smash Bros comes with a similar offer.

ZenTurtle

ZenTurtle said:

@brewsky
True about the laptops... An impressive piece of technology, the gamepad may be, but it's really just a gimmick, that's not really used by many high quality games

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

@ikki5 That's what I plan on doing. I have no interest in a digital copy of a retail game so I'm going to sell the code. Will just consider it as getting MK8 at a huge discount.

rjejr

rjejr said:

The club Nnitendo website says it's available in Canada for anyone who's been asking.

I'm kind of surprised it's already on the Club Nintneod front page.

Anybody else wonder why "sign in" is so tiny but "SIGN UP" is so big? I only signed up once 6 years ago but I'm on it every month. Wish i could find a way to be auto signed in.

We're almost certainly getting WW HD in NA, we probably would have gotten it in the EU as well though the Olympic game would have entered the discussion.

Oh, and anybody getting Pikmin 3, dont forget there are also 3 or 4 DLC packs - about $12 total - if you like collecting treasure or killing things - to extend your gameplay. All challenges are available as 2 player, my kids have Plat'd almost all of them together. I really wish there was a 3 player mode but oh well.

Varoennauraa

Varoennauraa said:

@ZenTurtle
Regular last gen controllers typically cost 60-70€ @ launch.
Resistive screen doesn't cost that much more.

Wii U is sold at loss, and it is awesome value to me.

Luna-Harmony

Luna-Harmony said:

wow unreal a game worth £40 or $40 for free that's amazing only nintendo would do that i remember getting my 3DS xl and a free game just like this.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Varoennauraa - "Regular last gen controllers typically cost 60-70€ @ launch.
Resistive screen doesn't cost that much more."

Are you making the case that the Gamepad doesn't add that much cost to the Wii U? I've been saying that for over a year but haven't seen anybody else agree. Everybody else (Mahe is the most vocal but there are many others) says subtract $100 Gamepad and sell the Wii U for $200, completely forgetting you still need a controller in the box, and Pro costs $40, so its a $239 no 2nd screen no selling point Wii U basically a 6 yr old PS3 or 360 vs. $299 Gamepad Wii U. And that $60 savings isn't going to make much difference on a system w/ 1 game.

And yeah, what's really in a Gamepad? It's a Pro w/ a poor resolution screen and a "secret" Nintendo chip, the Wii U does all the heavy lifting - CPU, GPU, memory, storage. There isn't even a WiFi chip.

Sorry for going on.

norwichred

norwichred said:

Does anyone know if this works for the download version? I bought Mario Kart SNES so qualify for the £5 off. If I buy the download version can I still qualify for the free copy of windwaker?

Portal_King

Portal_King said:

@norwichred I believe there is a feature which allows you to link your Club Nintendo account with your NNID, allowing you to redeem stars for downloaded games.

Jampie

Jampie said:

@norwichred According to NoA's Club Nintendo, "You can purchase Mario Kart 8 as packaged game, digital download, or as part of the Mario Kart 8 Wii U Deluxe Set bundle to qualify for the offer." So yes, this offer applies for the digital download version as well.

Varoennauraa

Varoennauraa said:

@rjejr

Yes.I don't think that GamePadless bundle would be meaningfully more affordable. 6" resistive screen doesn't necessarily cost...many dollars a piece, which is one of the nice hidden bonus features in resistive screens.

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

Wow, great news!!! I've got most of the games on the uk list but I could always keep a favourite on the hdd and sell the physical copy?
On the other hand....I could just buy a yoshi wiimote and get the dl party u (I wanted the wiimote pack) or try out the average looking sonic lost world(I have more interest after the dlc).......and I said I was gonna skip ww as I had it on gc but it was damn good and I bet it looks all pretty......I love these kind of choices =)

3Daniel

3Daniel said:

figures i own the NA selection. was hoping game & wario would make the cut. but this is my own fault for day one-ing everything. and to whoever asked about selling the download code you cant as its tied to the console of your club nintendo account.

epicdude12302

epicdude12302 said:

NOOOOOO!!! Why can't Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate be a NA reward! Oh well, I guess I'll just get Pikmin 3!

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

Well, I guess I'll be getting Wii Party U. That's the only one I don't have. EU has a WAY better deal. I think it's because Wii U is selling the least, there.

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

Even though there are only 4 games in NA, they are all games I want. I'm having a hard time deciding. I won't do Wii Party U b/c it's essentially a $10 game that comes with a Wiimote if you buy it at retail. So then it comes down to which game do I care least about having a case for. I think I'll go with Wind Waker...?

DarrelltheJ

DarrelltheJ said:

Say whaaaaaa. Looks like it's finally time for me to get Pikmin 3!
If I didn't have W101 already I'd definitely go for that. So I suggest to everyone else that you get it!

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

Well I'm from America and the only one I don't have is Wii Party U (which I'll gladly download), but for anyone else who doesn't have these games or for those in Europe, this deal is beyond amazing!

Cevan

Cevan said:

Awesome! Definitely going to take advantage of this and get Pikmin 3.

bofis

bofis said:

@ikki5 I'd imagine the download code will have no attachment to your account and could be sold if someone else wanted it. That or you could convert one of your physical purchases to a virtual one for some reason. I was trying to decide between Sonic Lost World and Wii Party U (as I don't have either), but I guess this means the choice has been made for me.

Neko_Rukiafan

Neko_Rukiafan said:

@Baum897 You get rewards for all games downloaded on the Wii U. Club Nintendo doesn't recognize the difference between a promotional download and a standard one, hence why you get ddp points on Wii U download rewards and coins from all download rewards from Club Nintendo. ;)

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

Wow... that is actually incredibly cool of them to do.
The only title I don't have already is Wii U Party, but still, free game for something I was going to buy anyway =)

K-Gamer

K-Gamer said:

Already have all 4 of those games :(

Might sell Wii Party U, then just get it free.

Diddy_kong

Diddy_kong said:

This is a great idea and I applaud Nintendo for doing this. I live in North America and already own the two out of those four games that I care about (Mario and Zelda) but still; for all the people that are going to be buying their Wii U on May 30 specifically because of Mario Kart 8 this is simply outstanding news.

astros75

astros75 said:

Great promotion! I'd recommend Pikmin 3 to anyone who hasn't bought it. I'll be getting Wind Waker for myself :-)

Nintendaholic

Nintendaholic said:

very upsetting. i own all 3 good games and i dont want wii party u at all. i saw monster hunter and got excited but i soon began to cry

KillerGBH

KillerGBH said:

kinda jealous about the europe free games roster, they can choose between 10 games and north america only 4 . kinda sad for someone who own already those four titles lol . wish NA get more free games choices .

conman2012

conman2012 said:

I'd really like to know if this is available in Australia/NZ. I can't see any reference for it on the nintendo AU website or AU club nintendo.

Does anyone have any further information on that?

Muyounosuke

Muyounosuke said:

lol europe has such a wide selection as for NA sadly I already own all 4 of those games, If we were getting the same games I would probably get game and wario or sonic lost world

nf_2

nf_2 said:

It's an awesome idea for newcomers, but WW is the only game I'd get from the NA games... I'll probably just get Wii Party U.

jasonbra

jasonbra said:

Fantastic. Pikmin3 for me. Kind of glad NA only has 4 titles to choose from. I honestly dont know what Id pick if I were in EU.

Epicnessofme99

Epicnessofme99 said:

Wow this is an insanely good deal, unfortunately I already own all the games except Wii Party U, still will be good to have an extra Wii U game though.

ReaperX30

ReaperX30 said:

Well I bought the Wii U to my wife for Mario Kart 8 which is pre-ordered and payed for so this is good news. Don't know which one to get between Pikmin 3 and The Wind Waker HD. I finished Wind Waker on Gamecube when I had it so while I liked it I think I should go with Pikmin 3. Mmmm what to choose.

shaneoh

shaneoh said:

The only one I don't have already is Mario & Sonic, I guess that's what I'm getting, unless I want a duplicate in digital

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

I own all four games on offer for NA. Oh well, I'll still take a digital DL of Windwaker HD to go with all the other Zelda VC classics that will be coming over the years.

JAG1981

JAG1981 said:

Awesome news, but I would have liked the 10 game selection in NA. Good news is of the 4 being offered I so far only have 3 of them.... Mariokart 8 & Pikmin 3 will soon be mine! 1 month to go!

JCnator

JCnator said:

I'm already going to get Mario Kart 8, and then it will net me a free game before July? Great news!

Let's see... I already own both Pikmin 3 and The Wind Waker HD purchased on my Wii U, and Wii U Party doesn't interest me at all since I don't often have friends in my house. Therefore, I'll get New Super Mario Bros. U! Glad I haven't bothered purchasing it before.

NewBlackElit3

NewBlackElit3 said:

Since when did Europe start the better end of he bargain? I would love to get sonic lost world for free.

Blue-Thunder

Blue-Thunder said:

Great offer. Unfortunately I have physical copy's of Pikmin 3, Nintendo Land and NSMBU, I also have Windwaker on Gamecube.

I'll have to think long and hard about which game to download. Hmmm

lamco

lamco said:

Urgh , i have the worst luck!, I really wish i got a wii u sooner , but instead i have to wait for august or october to get one T_T

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

@lamco You'd still be able to take advantage of this deal if you got a Wii U before the end of 30th September as that's when the download code expires (you'd still have to buy a physical copy of Mario Kart 8 before the end of July though to register it before the deadline).

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

UGH WHY MUST YOU MAKE IT SO HARD NINTENDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not sure if I'll get this until after the deadline sooooooooo :( (Unless $60 falls from the sky...)

ReigningSemtex

ReigningSemtex said:

I had already pre ordered so this is great news for me Mario kart 8 and a free game nice one Nintendo. I guess I will get either Pikmin 3 or wonderful 101

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

It is good if you want Mario Kart 8 anyway. Maybe I will get the bundle and just sell the game. (Or more likely tell myself I am going to and then don't bother). Get a game you don't want at all in order to get a cheaper game you do is not that good. (Also need to buy a Sony TV to deal with the input lag situation but at least suitable ones now do exist).

Squid

Squid said:

Seriously? Why does Europe get so many more games to choose from? Good for you guys I guess...

Ugh. I guess my only option is Pikmin 3, but it'd be a waste, I hate Pikmin.

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

I really hate this Club Nintendo dealings that Nintendo keeps on doing.
Why are they not giving this offer for all European customers?

Is it possible for customers from other countries than the usual five big ones to get this offer in any way? I would love to get Pikmin, Monster Hunter, The Wonderful 101 or Zelda Wind Waker with this deal, but seems Nintendo still continues to keep the rest of Europe as second rate fans.

Is it possible for Nordic countries somehow to make a UK or German account? This kind of dealings from Nintendo of Europe really piss me off.

zombiUzombie

zombiUzombie said:

Have all those games, too. Already have Pikmin 3 Downloaded. Might get Wind Waker Downloaded for the heck of it :-)

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Hmm... I own all 4 (North America). Wonder if I've registered them if they'll still give me the digital version. None of them scream "keep me on the console for quick easy access". Hmm...

BSFsontails1012

BSFsontails1012 said:

Lucy Europeans! I really wanted Sonic Lost World and when there is a chance, it's for another country. I don't see why they can't just do all 10 for both countries, oh well. I already have half the America one, I kind of wanted Windwaker or Pikmin 3. I can't wait for MK8, my opinion: BEST MARIO KART EVER! (Even though I haven't even touched it yet:)

Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike said:

NA is getting royally screwed here, the games being offered are among some of the worst choices they could give us, they're so uninteresting that I don't even want them for free. What I wouldn't give to live in Europe so I could get Lost World, Nintendo Land, TW101, or maybe even Game & Wario.

UltraLaserTen

UltraLaserTen said:

@TruenoGT On the eShop, the digital release date for Wii Party U is listed for TBD, and you can see how much space the game'll take up near the bottom of the page. (5156.9 MB by the way)

RawkHawk013

RawkHawk013 said:

Wow that's an awesome offer! Planned on getting Mario Kart 8 anyway, now I could get Wii Party U with it for free. AWESOME. Thanks!

Bakajin

Bakajin said:

Well, not interested in Wii Party U, so that leaves only New Super Mario Bros U for me.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Uberchu I have bought the last 4 (GC/DS/Wii/3DS) and not got anything much out of any of them. I liked the SNES and N64 ones (Especially the N64 one because I was living in a shared house and everybody could play it to some extent). So rationaly thinking about it then it is not a good deal for me. (Unless I get it and then sell Mario Kart and get something I want which current stands at just Donkey Kong Country : Tropical Freeze).

InnerSpirit

InnerSpirit said:

Had Mario Kart 8 on pre order as soon as they announced the t shirt and blue shell bundle. Loving this news will probably give the Wind Waker a HD outing and bring back some classic Gamecube memories (thought I could always dig out my original copy and play something new). Great promotion.

smbeats

smbeats said:

I hope Nintendo does well with this and does it right this time. Wii u is my favorite system I'd rather play this anyday over any of the other consoles...as far as the free game I'm going with wii u party cuz it's the only one I don't have .. I'm in NA

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

I have all the games except for W101 and Wii Party U. At least Wii Party U is an option for America, otherwise I would get bougre all. Would rather prefer W101 since I would have never bought Wii Party U (even IF it was $5 at Gamestop), but NOONE could argue with free.

Gameday

Gameday said:

@TheWhiteFalcon I was the same way but i loved it.
Im abit jealous that we only get 4 but hey its a free game overall. Ill be taking Windwaker HD since i never played through it. I ran through Pikmin 3 , NSMBU , Never Touched Wii Party U but seemed interesting enough also ima big Mario Party Fan since day one so once they make an online installment its over !

Pj1

Pj1 said:

I didn't read the article but I've pre-ordered the game through Nintendo's own site and it includes the blue shell and a nice billet bill t-shirt. I would like to think I might get some thing?

Pj1

Pj1 said:

Oh you gotta buy other stuff too? in order to get a free game?

ChuJelly

ChuJelly said:

Now THIS is an amazing offer! I wasn't planning on buying Mario Kart 8 for a little while, but getting it with a free copy of WW HD is a HUGE plus and just might sell me over to pre-ordering! Too bad NA doesn't get as much selection as Europe, but hey, free is free! Guess Nintendo wants to rack up them sales eh? ;)

camerica1618

camerica1618 said:

Aww. Why does America have such a small selection? I already have all those. Come on Reggie. Get with it.

Gorlokk

Gorlokk said:

Oh wow... I thought it was an awesome deal at first, but Europe's selection is infinitely better... Wonderful 101 should have been available for America, not Wii Party U. And I would've loved to finally get Monster Hunter for Wii U...

Okay, it's still an awesome deal, I suppose I'll just have to get Pikmin 3.

gamr4life

gamr4life said:

Wish we in North America had more than just four choices, but whatever. Pikmin 3 here I come!

ToonLink795

ToonLink795 said:

Ugg I already have the first 3 games on the free game list for North America. I guess I will just have to go with Wii Party U since it was a game I was not planning on getting.

Edit: I need to stop buying almost every good game Nintendo makes in case they do a special free game offer like this again lol.

Yai

Yai said:

What an amazing deal to add to a great game ! I'll probably get Sonic or Wonderful 101.

solcross

solcross said:

I would've definitely bought it if they offered Monster Hunter in NA. These offerings do nothing for me personally because I already have most of them.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

This deal is crazy, so crazy I had to wait till the next day to comment just in case it's a error. A free game with a highly anticipated one, madness.

I'll get Pikmin 3 since the only other game I don't own on the list is Sonic Lost World and that's only in EU. So glad I procrastinated on playing Pikmin 1 and 2 for preparation on buying 3.

Red_XIII

Red_XIII said:

1st, is this in Australia?
2nd, If you are in europe, get Wonderful 101. It is amazing

SahashraLA

SahashraLA said:

Wow, played Wii Party U and absolutely despised it. Too bad I have the other 3. Really though, I'm passing on MK8 anyways. Neither myself nor anyone in my family enjoy racers or any of the Mario Kart titles, so no big loss.
Still, I could have bought MK8, got Sonic for free then traded MK8 for credit towards a game I'd actually play. Or an eShop card.

Dreamz

Dreamz said:

If you live in Europe, you should definitely grab Wonderful101.

As for me, I'm torn between Wii Party U and NSMBU.

arkady77

arkady77 said:

game & wario thanks. wiiparty u is bundled with wiimote so i'll get that sometimes else.

Lord

Lord said:

HEY DON'T FORGET IF YOU BUY THE ESHOP MARIO KART YOU WILL ALSO GET THE SNES VERSION FREE IN THE UK AS WELL AS A FREE AAA TITLE.... AWESOME! (remember Nintendo first party titles take up less hd space)

PaperLucario

PaperLucario said:

Well crap, I already own all 4 of the NA options, so unless I give the code away or with luck sell it, that means I'm getting a 2nd free digital copy, question is which one (My copy of New Super Luigi U is a disc, so maybe not Mario)?

shaneoh

shaneoh said:

@FineLerv

Happy to help. The new Nintendo of Australia facebook page delivers the news a lot faster than their infrequent emails

Dezsi

Dezsi said:

@Kolzig
Yes. You have to link your Nintendo Network ID to a UK Club Nintendo account, for instance. That's not too difficult, I guess (unless it somehow interferes with the games you've already purchased via the eShop, as unlinking may lead to your missing some of your purchase bonus points tied to the Nintendo Network Premium Deluxe Digital Promotion — but I'm not sure about any of this; what is for sure that something is bound to change once you unlink), but it is crucial to do so. The other thing to do, as others have said, is to buy a UK physical copy along with the Club Nintendo game-registration code included with it. Of course, if you set your Wii U to the UK region (and do the unlinking a re-linking if necessary) and buy a digital copy of the game, you will get the download code for your free game.

I haven't really thought this through until now, since my physical copies have always come with the Club Nintendo game-registration codes, so all of them must have been UK imports — I don't live in the UK either.

james_squared

james_squared said:

It's a nice promo, but the selection for Canada is quite poor when compared to the European promo. The only game on that list that I don' t have is Wii Party U and I'm quite uninterested in that. And, even if I was, I think the little stand that comes with the physical version is a useful accessory and, oh yeah, the Wii Remote Plus.

I do find it quite amusing that Nintendo often states how they wish to reward their loyal fans, but this isn't much of a deal for those of us that play Nintendo games quite a bit.

I hope it does help sell some games and, more importantly, consoles for Nintendo as the user base does really need to increase.

kletro

kletro said:

I said I will save money and won't buy any game until ssb4, but this offer...

NickieBoy

NickieBoy said:

@3Daniel every downloadable game I've received from club nintendo gave it to me as a code...I'm pretty sure it isn't tied to the console since I've given them to people before...

3Daniel

3Daniel said:

@NickieBoy i got in trouble with nintendo for trying to give away my pokemon y code when i upgraded to 3dsxl. being this is also a club nintendo promotion im assuming itll have similar rules in place. i already had pokemon x digital on my 3ds and when i transfered it over to the xl i didnt see the need to own y as a digital on the same machine. the person i gav it to wasnt able to download as his 3ds was tied to his own club nintendo. use caution is as my own experience with these nintendo promotions indicated to me that these free codes are not technically ours and therefore we cant giv it away.

this happened like 3 weeks ago.

Gigan

Gigan said:

This bugs me a bit. I bought all four of these games already. Hell, I got Wii U Party just last week. Do they want me to buy their games new? I mean this is great for new customers and people that aren't able to get many games but it's a bit a a kick you know where for those of us that are supporting the system.

Tony_342

Tony_342 said:

@Gigan Exactly. I have all four of those games already. Great job rewarding your biggest fans, Nintendo. The least they could do is give you a bit of eShop money for people who already have all those games registered.

That probably sounds greedy, but it just seems like backwards logic to me. Give free stuff to people who give you less money and nothing to people who give you more.

Still, I'm happy for everyone who doesn't already own all those games, as this is an EXCELLENT deal for them.

rockodoodle

rockodoodle said:

@ktribal you might have to download it to a flashdrive from a friend's Wii u. I got Pokemon through a promotion and the code had to be used within a month or six weeks of the registration.

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

Oooh, too bad I live in the states, Sonic Lost World has been on my list for awhile. I was curious about Pikmin 3 even though I never really played the first two, so I'm between that at Zelda, which I technically already own on GCN, so I'm not sure if it's worth getting again.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Pretty cool! Lets see: I have some of the games on the list and some are uninteresting. But I also see Windwaker HD, wich I didn't get last year because I found the price pretty steep (considering I had already the Gamecube version and I was short on cash because of several game purchases)! I guess that's the one I'll take!

Mr_Video

Mr_Video said:

It's about time we got a good deal like this! It's so rare for Nintendo to do good promotions like these. I just wish NoA would offer a bigger selection like Europe, the only game out of the ones offered is Wii Party U, which isn't really my cup of tea to be honest. Ah well, free is free!

@AshFoxX I'd definitely recommend giving Pikmin 3 a try, it's the best game out on Wii U at the moment in my opinion.

GreatPlayer

GreatPlayer said:

That's pretty cool. I originally wasn't going to buy Mario Kart 8, but now I am going to. Finally, Nintendo did not forsake early adopters of Wii U.

When is the same deal happen for 3DS? I don't want Pokemon's deal but I want other games.

ljinkakidd

ljinkakidd said:

I wish people will quit spectating the Wii U to see what it'll do and just go out and see what it has to offer.

Nin98

Nin98 said:

@6ch6ris6 you really dont need a HDTV, its just to see the games more vividly, you can buy the console, and use the original wii av output cables, and it should work perfectly fine

Vollmernator

Vollmernator said:

New Super Mario Bros U for Me BTW I'm from Canada as well so if it works for people from North America I should be Ok.

JD1000

JD1000 said:

Salutations from South Africa! I purchased this fine game on Friday evening. I was impressed to the point where I did not sleep. I thought Saturday would be just as good, maybe better. Imagine my surprise when I saw that I could download a free game just because I decided to get a game I really wanted. I did not plan on it, nor expected this delightful surprise. This weekend I thus got WW HD and MK8. What a momentous occasion for me. What a momentous occasion for gaming in general. Nintendo, you have my bow.

guyontheladder

guyontheladder said:

Aww, I wanted to get 'game and wario'. at least I can get 'pikmen 3', I've herd very good things about that game.

SahashraLA

SahashraLA said:

No bob1980, you pick. I've seen a friend get his game. It's a screen that looks very similar to the one where you get a Club Nintendo reward game.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

I don't get why we in NA can't have those other 6 games to choose as well, it's not like all of them are released only in Europe. Besides, I already own all four of those, the only game I need is Game and Wario. Why disappoint us again Nintendo?