Feature: 10 Nintendo DS Games We Want To See On The Wii U Virtual Console

Posted by Damien McFerran

Dual-screen desires

Nintendo has just lifted the lid on its plans to bring DS games to the Wii U Virtual Console, which means that owners of that particular machine will soon be able to enjoy a library of classic releases from one of the company's most popular formats. The DS has played host to some truly stunning pieces of software since its inception a decade ago, and below we've listed 10 of the games we ideally want to see come to the Wii U. So make yourself comfortable, locate some snacks and cross your fingers and toes — let's hope we see all of these on our GamePad in the fullness of time.

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin

While we continue to hold out hope that one day Advance Wars will make its way to the Wii U in the form of an entirely new outing, this excellent DS sequel will be more than enough to keep us happy for the time being. Days of Ruin — which was known as Advance Wars: Dark Conflict in Europe — is notable for its tonal shift from the breezy nature of Advance Wars: Dual Strike. While the turn-based gameplay and resource management aspects remain in place, the game's setting is grim and foreboding — as should be the case when you're involved in a fight for your very survival. This change didn't go down well with everyone — especially those who found the colourful setting of previous instalments as the perfect tonic for bleak and serious western strategy titles — but few would deny that this is the better game of the two.

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia

The third and final Castlevania title on the DS, Order of Ecclesia takes the "Metroidvania" concept to the next level, allowing you to traverse and explore several different locations instead of being stuck in a single castle — something which was experimented with in the prequel, Portrait of Ruin. Superb visuals, excellent music and hours of challenge make this one of the best instalments in the entire Castlevania lineage. While we're at it, we'd gladly take Wii U Virtual Console versions of Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin, too. We're greedy like that.

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

Dragon Quest may have taken longer to gain popularity in the west than Final Fantasy, but when it did catch on, it did so in style. This critically-acclaimed DS adventure features robust multiplayer functionality and a few major enhancements on the core Dragon Quest gameplay — for example, battles no longer occur randomly and can be avoided if you so wish. Hours of RPG action await, and everything is wrapped up in some sumptuous presentation. On a platform that is blessed with more than its fair share of quality role-playing epics, Dragon Quest IX stands out as a true classic, and one that we cannot wait to experience again on the Wii U Virtual Console.

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars

It just goes to show how popular the DS was that Rockstar chose to bring its controversial Grand Theft Auto series to the system - has there ever been a better example of a title being totally at odds with the target demographic of a games console? While Chinatown Wars was predictably ignored by the millions of younger DS owners, it nevertheless provided top-notch entertainment to mature players. Since ported to the PSP and iOS, the game has aged surprisingly well and would be ripe for rediscovery and reassessment on the Wii U.

Mario Kart DS

With Mario Kart 7 already available on the 3DS and Mario Kart 8 on its way to the Wii U, some might argue that there's little need for this DS prequel to get a new lease of life. However, just as many will counter with the opinion that Mario Kart DS is one of the best entries in the entire series, and the hours the countless the Nintendo Life team has collectively ploughed into the game would appear to support this. The first title in the franchise to offer online play, Mario Kart DS is still incredibly playable even by today's standards, and well worth another look.

Pokémon Black & White 2

Nintendo turned a few heads in 2012 when it decided to release this Pokémon sequel on the DS rather than the recently-released 3DS, but the strategy was a sound one — there were many more DS consoles in the wild at that point, and the backwards compatibility element of the 3DS meant that owners of that console didn't have to miss out. Arguably the last great DS title, Black & White 2 was a fitting swansong for the dual-screen handheld and we're sure it would sell like hotcakes if released on the Wii U Virtual Console — especially with the launch of Pokémon X & Y still fresh in everyone's memory. Let's just hope Nintendo doesn't keep us waiting — lest we forget, there's still no sign of the original Pokémon on the 3DS Virtual Console.

The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

For whatever reason, the DS Zelda entries have been somewhat overlooked in recent years, which is a shame because they're fantastic games. Both make stellar use of the DS touch-screen and offer truly riveting adventures, making them two of the most enjoyable releases on the console. As such, these titles are ideal candidates for reappraisal on the Wii U Virtual Console, and hopefully Nintendo will fast-track (no pun intended) the launch of this second title so we don't have to wait too long to experience it all over again on our trusty GamePads.

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon

Fire Emblem: Awakening has pushed the beloved Intelligent Systems franchise to the forefront of many people's minds, which should mean that this excellent DS title has a good chance of making it to the Wii U Virtual Console in the not-too-distant future. A remake of the very first Fire Emblem title on the Famicom — originally released in 1990 — Shadow Dragon isn't perhaps quite as polished as other instalments, but it's still a classic slice of strategy RPG action and one which could potentially pave the way quite nicely for a fully-fledged Wii U entry (please, Nintendo).

Meteos

It's always surprised us that Meteos never really caught on as a puzzle franchise; created by industry legends Tetsuya Mizuguchi and Masahiro Sakurai, the original DS game was a revelation, showing how the touch-screen could drastically change the scope of a puzzler. The Disney-themed sequel was welcome, but didn't really take the concept as far as it could have done, while successive titles appeared on systems without touch-screens — which kind of missed the point of the game's "slide and flick" premise. Sora and Q Entertainment's ground-breaking game sorely deserves a revival, and what better way could there be than bringing the original to the attention of a whole new generation?

New Super Mario Bros.

One of the games which established the DS as a serious gamer's platform, New Super Mario Bros. was a real breath of fresh air when it hit retail way back in 2006. Nintendo EAD Group No. 4 returned to the roots of the Super Mario franchise, successfully fusing old-school sensibilities with modern twists, such as the iconic Mega Mushroom which makes the Mario or Luigi grow as tall as the screen, and the Mini Mushroom which has the opposite effect. With over 30 million copies sold worldwide since release, it wouldn't do any harm to add a few more downloads to that total by releasing the game on the Wii U — this is almost certain to make an appearance.

Which of those games would you want to see on the Wii U Virtual Console? Be sure to vote in the poll below, and if we haven't listed a DS classic that you want, make sure you let us know by leaving a comment.

Which of our choices would you like to see the most on the Wii U Virtual Console? (874 votes)

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon

12%

Meteos

New Super Mario Bros.

None of the above

11%

Please login to vote in this poll.

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

Chinatown Wars! And on the subject of Pokemon, I'd personally love to see HeartGold and SoulSilver find their way to the eShop.

Inkling

Inkling said:

Mario Kart DS for me (if it has multiplayer)
If it has no multiplayer, New Super Mario Bros :P

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon is the only one I am bothered about. (The formula isn't broken like the new one). It is also very expensive.

I think Dragon Quest V is better than IX (Or IV or VI for that matter).

I would rebuy the Warioware DS games even though I have the carts (Especially DIY I think would be better for creating stuff). Warioware Twisted even at full price I would buy straight away. (I know it is GBA).

Probably the same with the Megaman ZX games. (I have the carts also but it is not comfortable stretching to use the L button for dash and using the dpad at the same time.)

Radiant Historia is good I dunno whether I would get it again though.

Contra IV I would probably get again for convenience.

EOTW

EOTW said:

I don't understand this decision from Nintendo. I mean, it's awesome and all, but why the DS? I can still easily go down to the store and pick up many- if not all- of the games on this list, then play them on my 3DS. So why not an older system?

Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh said:

I wouldn't put much hope on Pokémon games on Virtual Console. None of the Game Boy games made it to the 3DS. Nintendo seems to be reluctant in selling us what would be a single-player only experience of Pokémon without the possibility to connect to friends. What I would like them to do at least on 3DS is to do like SEGA and make wireless conectivity do the job of the Link cable.

BigH88

BigH88 said:

I might be in the minority but this was not the VC I wanted to hear. It's like Nintendo hears the opposite of what fans say. "We want Gamecube VC titles!" Then Nintendo says "Nah, you want DS VC titles."

muchB1663R

muchB1663R said:

Well, since i have already purchased them for my DS. i don't think i will be buying ANY of them.

DrakeStaff

Drake said:

"But few would deny that this is the better game of the two."

No way, Dual Strike is way better!

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Oh, please not Pokémon VC begging again... people just don't get that the entire gameplay of Pokémon is worthless without multiplayer features (which would be impossible with VC frameworks due to compability issues with WiiU/3DS tchnology). At least GameFreak seems to be aware of that, which iswhy they'll (hopefully) never do.

Savino

Savino said:

@IRNBRU115 Yeah.... But no! I really dont wanna a Metroid Remake anytime soon! I love metroid, best franchise from Nntendo in my opinion, but we have two new hardware... Asking one new game isnt that much... Ppl should stop those remakes right now... Nintendo is leading this terrible trend!

SavoirFaire

SavoirFaire said:

Is the 3ds Xl not compatible with Ds games or something? Maybe people sold off their games or systems, but I still have mine (some on this list) and it just seems like an odd selling point to go back into what isn't really the distant past. Id be more interested in actual n64 support for VC.

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

There are so many games that could use it. My 5 would be Chinatown Wars, Meteos, Okamiden, Elite Beat Agents and The World Ends With You

NbaJunkie

NbaJunkie said:

Gamecube...Keep the reSt. I dont want Nintendo dedicating resources on this.When they could bring over experiences that will set the VC's apart. These decisions boggle the mind.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Pretty much all of them!

It's not exactly my #1 choice, but I believe one of the DS Pokémon games on the Wii U would be big news indeed, as the first time you'd be able to play a full-fledged Pokémon game on a home console.

Yamitora1

Yamitora1 said:

Its kind of a slap in the face that B2W2 only was out for a year before XY came out...and now they've shut down almost every B2W2 online functionality.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Where is Picross DS? That was the first one I thought of, as the card can be very expensive these days.

Zero_Revolution

Zero_Revolution said:

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin, or even Dual Strike, I haven't played either and would really like to. NSMB would make there be 3 of those games available on Wii U, 4 if you count backwards compatibility...

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

I'd rather see advance wars DS, it has the traditional COs, and is just in general a much better game, broken stealth fighter aside. Days of ruin is just a bunch of shades of brown, and no where near as good as DS.

she_gamer

she_gamer said:

@NbaJunkie I agree. I can still play DS games on my 3DS just fine. Meanwhile my all time favourites on Gamecube collect dust, as I'd rather not hunt down another TV to hook up my old Wii or Gamecube console.

LoBo

LoBo said:

If the past VC games are anything to go by , we will see one DS game added per week , its bound to be a long drawn out process

AdanVC

AdanVC said:

I was one of those people that lost the DS era almost completely. I just had the original DS model on 2004 for a few months when it was released and the only game I had was Wario Ware: Touched and I was truly obssesed with that game, so much fun (and because of that is my personal choice to see it on VC on Wii U!). After that I have to sell it because of family issues and I never had the chance to buy one again so I'm very glad DS games are coming for VC. I'm looking forward to play all of them! I didn't even know there was an Advance Wars game for DS! I though the one on GBA was the only one. So cool.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I voted for Spirit Tracks since I haven't played either of the two Zelda DS games and it appears like a rather unique game in the Zelda series. Meteos and Metroid Prime: Hunters would also be cool. WarioWare Touched and Tetris DS would be nice to have even though I already have the carts. This could potentially help more people to play rare DS games, and I remember a NL feature two years ago that argued as such. It was for 3DS, but the point still remains.

whodatninja

whodatninja said:

The only Gamecube game i'd buy for Wii U is Eternal Darkness. I never played that one. Maybe MK Double Dash as well as it's my favorite in the series!

King47

King47 said:

We should be able to play 3ds games on the wii u. All they need is have them communicate with each other.

ICHIkatakuri

ICHIkatakuri said:

I want the wii u to be the place i can play most of the castlevania classics so any DS ones are going to be instant purchases.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

I'm indecisive on this.

However, I think we should only get DQIX, MKDS and Pokèmon B&W2 if they have some kind of online friend connectivity.

Also, while I enjoy EBA, i'd much rather have Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan. :P

Senario

Senario said:

Disagree, I don't feel that days of ruin was better than dual strike. It was largely uninteresting with an unfamiliar cast with bland and dark themes in overabundance.

LoBo

LoBo said:

@GamerOZO

Ripped this from wikipedia

Mario Kart DS
The game is the fifth installment in the Mario Kart series of video games, and the first to be playable via the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection online service.

SilverArrow

SilverArrow said:

If they bring GCN, how would they deal with the analog L and R? They can't use the ZL and ZR because of the Z on the GCN controller making use for them.

Nushio

Nushio said:

I'd rather get a brand new game than a DS port, but I'd love to play Trauma Center on the WiiU.

LostHeaven

LostHeaven said:

Advance Wars Days of Ruin was really good, I expected worst at the time. It would be great to have a traditional "Wars" game (instead of the "Battalion" series which never captivated me much) on a Nintendo home console again!

ACK

ACK said:

Retro Game Challenge and Konami Arcade Classics, come on guys!

I need arcade Contra on every device. And maybe if we can dupe everyone into buying RGC... I won't even say it.

OliverAdam

OliverAdam said:

E3 2012 Wii U Announcement - "10 GBA and N64 games we want to see on the VC"

Did it come true? Did it come true? This is bs to keep you loyal.

mudmask

mudmask said:

My one question, and maybe this hasn't been made clear yet - but will it be gamepad only play? I would love to have the top screen play on my TV while having the gamepad work as the touch screen.

gsmaciel

gsmaciel said:

Whoa, these are awesome games and there are TONS of other great ones not listed. I'm getting more and more excited about this. Just hope they actually release the best games and the price is reasonable.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@DimetriWarrior most GC games didn't need the analogue feature, and a lot of games that did use it would work just fine if pressing the triggers would result in a full press. You'd be able to do the vast majority of GC games that way.

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

Definitely Days of Ruin :D
That was the very first game, that came to my mind, when I saw about the DS VC on Wii U (this looks so ridiculous xD)
I can only imagine how glorious the artworks look on my TV :3

Jinketsu

Jinketsu said:

Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin and Golden Sun: Dark Dawn would be on my top 10 list, for sure.

ACK

ACK said:

Here's my list from the forums (minus Retro Game Challenge and Konami Arcade Classics, mentioned earlier). Some rare, many not listed here.
Radiant Historia,
Bleach: Blade of Fates, Dark Souls
DQ V and IX
Monster Tale
Okamiden

dsparil

dsparil said:

I mostly want to see Last Window since that never came out in the US. Other Europe/Japan only releases would be great too.

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

Animal Crossing: Wild World (no waggle remote for me/wii mode), Retro Game Challenge 1 & 2, The World Ends with You, New Super Mario Bros., Touch Generations: Card Games, Final Fantasy III & IV, and Dragon Quest V and IX all would be nice.

ACK

ACK said:

And Order of Ecclesia is one of the worst Castlevanias. Mindlessly easy and repetitve to the extreme with dull, lackadaisical level design. I'm so confused today.

Spanjard

Spanjard said:

Gta china town wars? That game was so bad I couldn't force myself to play it longer than 5 minutes.

darklinkinfinite

darklinkinfinite said:

Considering how Nintendo's handled the virtual console recently I'd say we'd be lucky if we even got 10 DS games on the virtual console, much less 10 games we really want.

mystman12

mystman12 said:

Wario Ware D.I.Y. would definitely be an awesome game! Especially with a Miiverse community, people could help each other out and share their games.

R-Moss

R-Moss said:

Dual Strike is a better game than Days of Ruin. Only who didn't play both of them could chose the worst one.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

@IRNBRU115 Completed that this week despite buying it several years ago XD
Never got a chance to try the multiplayer though. TBH I thought they could have done a lot more with the narrative considering they created such awesome characters for it.
@lckulczak I'm pretty sure it would look ugly as sin on a television due to the stretching they would need to do.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

Put 999 ghost trick and the Phoenix Wright collection on their! All fantastic games which would be lovely to play on the gamepad and wouldn't lose anything in translation. The first two deserve every chance they can get to find a wider audience!

ACK

ACK said:

@Gunblade_Hero Ha Ha! Come on, that level design is atrocious. There is no arguing that point. I can't think of one reason I'd play Order over Aria, Circle or even Dawn. Unless I want to constantly replay mind-numbingly similar levels over and over.

Believe me, I wanted to like it and I did for a short while. Played it extensively and discovered it was sort of a pile (considering it's lineage). So disappointing.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

@Nushio There is a Wii remake of the DS entry and the Wii had its own unique entry. Co-op is hilarious with the right person!

Nushio

Nushio said:

@AJ I know, I have all Trauma Center games. I'd prefer using the gamepad to operate than the sometimes clumsy Wiimote controls.

Sherman

Sherman said:

Are you gonna be able to buy digital DS games for Wii U but not for 3DS? Or am I missing something? Or can I buy a game (let's say a NES game like Super Mario Bros.) on the 3DS eShop and play it on my Wii U as well and they plan to do this with DS games in the future?

WYLD-WOO

WYLD-WOO said:

Nintendo needs to be clever and take all the expensive second-hand games up for sale on sites like ebay and get them on the VC. There are some second-hand shops including GAME that are making serious margins on used DS titles. A good start would be Fire Emblem / Mario Kart / Mario Bros / Castlevania games / Phoenix Wright / Megaman ZX . The more rare and expensive DS titles the better. I spent at least a £100 on old DS game on ebay last year alone.

Technosphile

Technosphile said:

None of this matters if it isn't TV top screen, Gamepad touchscreen. It's a terrible idea otherwise.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

I have all of those except Pokemon, and I'm not interested on it.

These are the DS games I want:

Super Princess Peach
DK: Jungle Climber
Miles Edgeworth
999

Expa0

Expa0 said:

The first two choices would be at the top of my list also.

I'd also like to see Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey, Pokemon Black/White 1, Etrian Odyssey III, Pokemon Platinum and Devil Survivor 2.

I probably wouldn't buy them since as I understood you can't play them in the tv screen, but these games and Days of Ruin & Order of Ecclesia are what make the DS for me.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

@Damo Advance Wars: Dual Strike was so much better than Days of Ruin, Advance wars is all about the zany characters not angst and depression.

baba_944

baba_944 said:

I want the following:

1: "Super Princess Peach"
2: "Mario Kart DS"
3: "Tetris DS"
4: "Yoshi Island DS"
5: "Sonic Rush"
6: "Sonic Rush Adventure"
7: "Super Mario 64 DS"
8: "Mario Vs. Donkey Kong 2" (They have that out in UK for the "NINTENDO 3DS")
9: "Mario Vs. Donkey Kong: Mini Land Mayhem"
10: "New Super Mario Bros."

meltendo

meltendo said:

I'm starting to think Nintendo DOESN'T want to release their big titles on the VC so they can re-release them as full-priced games in the future. Why release Star Fox 64 on the VC when they can sell it as a $39 3DS cart. I love how we got Urban Champions on the 3DS...yet none of the SNES or bigger NES games in 3D. The listed DS games are great but I think Nintendo has less popular titles in mind for the DS release. ...and then in the other corner, we have Sony liberally putting games from the past year for free to PSN members.

Austroid

Austroid said:

Am I the only one not in any way excited for this?

Why a DS VC Nintendo? Do I really want to play a fully polyonal game like Prime Hunters or Mario 64 DS on a widescreen TV? That'd sure be a flickery mess of pixels. :|

coolvw93

coolvw93 said:

Nine hours, Nine persons, Nine doors. A few of the pokemon games would be great, but highly doubtful unfortunately, since we havent seen any gba or gameboy pokemon games show up yet. Though putting Dragon Quest on there would be great.

ANGRYBALDMAN666

ANGRYBALDMAN666 said:

I say forget about get these out on the Wii U and get updated remakes out on the 3DS but not just 3D better graphics

ogo79

ogo79 said:

this would give me the chance to keep my 3 castlevania ds games sealed and play them on my wii u instead.
just as i suspected

rdenton85

rdenton85 said:

I've owned Meteos ever since it's day of release and it was the game I was waiting for before buying my DS. It is a superb game and I remember how obsessed the original Nintendo Official Mag was with it :D

Oh and Kirby Power Paintbrush (Canvas Curse) and Sonic Rush would be fine games to have.

hcfwesker

hcfwesker said:

I don't see how many are getting so excited for this when we get 1 NES game a week, 1 SNES game maybe a month, and still nothing from N64 or the promised GC & GBA VC games. How do you think it's gonna work out with DS games on VC? They need to fix the current state of VC and releases , but instead opt out to add more hopes for WiiU owners ... they might as well announce PS4 and XBONE games on the WiiU VC while they're at it :D

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Meteos! Get on it, Majesco! It's not like you don't need the money!

Seriously, they could charge $15 and it would still be a better price than if I bought it used online. Why did I ever sell that game? :(

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

@ACK Opinions are like belly buttons - everybody has one. Order of Ecclesia is a fine Castlevania, at least in my opinion - and I'm the one who complied the list!

Not really that confusing, no?

Nintendude789

Nintendude789 said:

Still a stupid move from Nintendo. But I would like to see Super Monkey Ball: Touch and Roll, Mario vs DK series, and the Mario and Sonic games.

Kirbybrawl

Kirbybrawl said:

I doubt any pokemon games will come since they never came out on 3ds vc. Nintendo might as well reprint gen 4 because The prices are just crazy and theres many fakes

smikey

smikey said:

I doubt they'd put mario 64 3ds version on they will more likely just put the n64 version on eshop when it finally gets n64 on the eshop.

I think the first ds game to hit vc will no doubt be brain training and similar games.
One of my favourite ds games is Ninja Town But I own that and lot of ds games anyway & I've played it to death many times.
I also love dragon quest rocket slime that I had to import from usa since it never got a pal release (that i'm aware of)
in general I think the more vc the better but I would have had handheld gameboy up to ds on 3ds and nes - game cube on wii u ( but i expect they may eventually put some wii games on the e-shop at least if not a dedicated vc.
I also assume all sega consoles master system - dream cast to end up on vc eventually

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

Do not want to deal with MKDS' snakers again. Plus likely Nintendo will neuter the multiplayer features (especially online play) like they've done with GB, GBC & GBA VC titles so far.

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

Metroid Prime Hunters may actually be better with a larger touch screen to work with along with the ability to map movements to both analog sticks.

electrolite77

electrolite77 said:

@R-Moss

Days of Ruin is far better. The stories a bit shonky but it isn't ruined by turning the dhole game into a race to use massively overpowered CO abilities. Advance Wars is all about balance and Dual Strike suffers on that score

ToniK

ToniK said:

@dsparil Oh god, Last Window was awesome. Maybe even better than Hotel Dusk: Room 215. Also 999 but I could just buy it for 3DS to play.

electrolite77

electrolite77 said:

Picross 3D
Wario Ware Touched
Planet Puzzle League
Mario and Luigi Partners in Time
All the Trauma Centre games

CaptOlimar30

CaptOlimar30 said:

Most comments have nailed most of the games I'd like to see on the WiiU: 999, The World Ends With You and Okamiden would all be awesome in full screen console play. But no one has suggested the best franchise ever: Professor Layton would be awesome if only to see those beautiful anime cutscenes upscaled.

On a side note, I'm surprised to see Spirit Tracks suggested as opposed to Phantom Hourglass since I figured most people highly prefer PH.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@electrolite77 I generally don't find DS to be that unbalanced when you're not doing tag battles. I think the biggest problem for me is the whole game is just brown, brown, brown, and then more brown. I probably would have liked it more if it kept the same cartoon style, with the same COs(they could have adjusted the powers to work exactly like the new system did). Everything in that game just felt so depressing and there wasn't a touch a color.

soma

soma said:

I'd prefer to have a DS VC in the 3DS, not in the Wii U. We need more N64 and Snes games before that!

Aozz101x

Aozz101x said:

No Animal Crossing: Wild World???
oh well ill vote for Mario Kart DS or New Super Mario Bros
even tho 3ds can play ds gamei still happy see this to come soon meaning my brother and i can play games if they put multplayer support for it

Agent721

Agent721 said:

Spirit tracks for sure & Chinatown wars. But I highly doubt we'll ever see another Rockstar game anytime soon on the Wii U. Which is too bad, as a Bully sequel is planned. The Wii version wad pretty good.

ACK

ACK said:

@Damo They're like kittens, everyone is always giving them away... Eh?

Yeah, Order of Ecclesia is fine, I guess. But I will never forgive that level design. I was thinking about it while shoveling the 8 inches (of snow) off my terribly long driveway... And I'd argue that Robot Ninja Haggleman 3 from RGC was a more well-designed, memorable 'Metroidvania'-style game. Haven't played either in quite some time, but RGC was my go-to portable game for several years and I must see every nook and cranny of every (true) Castlevania game. (I'd say I'm fairly rote on both.)

Not that I'm bothered that other people like Order, I just bristle when it's mentioned as one of the best in the series. Besides, what fun are these lists without some lively dissent, huh?

Anyway, it's a good list, as always. Just doing my thing, spicing the dish up a tad.

EDIT: For what it's worth, I'm shocked that people are so accepting of Order's regurgitated level designs. Seriously, enemy palette swaps are one thing, but entire level palette swaps... Like, are you kidding me? To me, those are revolting design ethics.

tripunktoj

tripunktoj said:

Those are great games (except for GTA), specially Pokémon, Spirit Tracks and Mario Kart but there are too much RPGs in the list and many games I also liked from DS missed this list, Metroid Prime Hunters, Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2, Princess Peach, Star Fox, Kirby Canvas Curse, Picross 3D, Professor Layton, Contra 4, Henry Hatsworth, Sonic Colors just to name a few of them

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

How would the Zelda games work? I mean, the TV (being the top screen) would be kinda boring.
I can see how some games would work out ok, but some I don't think would feel quite right.

tsm7

tsm7 said:

I'd hold my breath on Pokemon. There has never been a virtual console release for any of them.
I'm fairly concerned about how these will be priced.

ZesuBen

ZesuBen said:

@ferrers405

Yes. EBA. All the time forever. A chance for a revival without Nintendo's toxic commercials destroying the game's potential audience.

AugustusOxy

AugustusOxy said:

None. I'm not a big fan of re-buying DS games.

I'd much rather just have an app that allows me to play my 3DS on my tv via the Wii-u-- thus meaning I could play my old DS games as well.

This is not what I want... at all.

LordFamicom

LordFamicom said:

I would want Heartgold and Soulsilver with function with the Pokewalker if players of the original still own the Pokewalker as well as the DS Zelda games that allows use of the buttons on the Gamepad instead of using the touch screen. Maybe even some Kingdom Hearts games!

darkswabber

darkswabber said:

I hope to see some good old proffesor layton as VC.
And I don't expect any pokemon games (rather then spin-offs) appearing as VC. Otherwise they would have released one long ago on the 3ds VC. anyone thinks the same?

Yosher

Yosher said:

I just have to go with Mario Kart of the above selection. But of course it should come as no surprise that my personal preference goes to Yoshi's Island DS. That way, I'll have all Yoshi's Island games available on my 3DS system, counting the GBA Ambassador version of the original game.

BAGBOY

BAGBOY said:

Really? Shadow dragon? That shallow piece of crap that got me wondering what the hell happened to the awesomeness of the gba titles? You have the other advance wars masterpiece: dual strike or even pokemon conquest if you want a good strategy game, but shadow dragon, the game that betrayed the premise of the franchise by literally entering the gaiden chapters by killing off several of your units whereas in the gba titles it was SUPER MEGA HYPER DUPER IMPORTANT to keep 'em alive so your survival score didn't drop to the ground? THAT SHADOW DRAGON?

kereke12

kereke12 said:

I want to see ALL DS GAMES on Wii U, because I wasn't able to play some DS games because of money issues. But I'm hoping that Nintendo does this on the 3DS.

Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh said:

Last year Iwata promised us N64 and GBA on Wii U VC. This year he promisses us DS, which is fine and dandy, but still no word on N64 and GBA.
Also, on 3DS you can play the original DS carts so I don't see the appeal of having it there. Physical for life, baby! You're better off that way, so many great DS games that will not make the cut for Wii U and you can buy cheap for your handheld. GBA, on another hand should really be available on 3DS eShop. With Wii U cross-buy, Iwata.

zool

zool said:

That's NOT what I bought my Wii u for. These are games built for handheld console's and should stay there.
If Nintendo want to release old games on the Wii u they should look to the N64 and GameCube. After giving them a makeover.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I'm still wondering if Nintendo are even going to be able to release 3rd party DS games at first or if it'll just be first-party stuff only. I want RPGs, MKDS, both Zelda games & any rare DS games that would be hard to find today. Wouldn't mind this as an opportunity to bring over games that stayed in Japan either.

umegames

umegames said:

i need mario & luigi partners in time, that game is hard to find and even harder to get for a good price. prime hunters and mario64x4 would be nice too. oohhhh and lets not forget kirby canvus curse!

taffy

taffy said:

Which of these games would I like to see on my Wii U... NONE OF THEM!!! Which ones would I like to see on my 3DS... Any and all of them!

FX29

FX29 said:

I'd rather have the Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon sequel since it's far superior.
I want the DS Mega Man games, Castlevania, Okamiden, etc. However why isn't this also included for the 3DS? I know it's backwards compatible but I would prefer if both systems received similar content.

DakotaM47

DakotaM47 said:

Never played the DS Zelda's since I didn't even know a thing about Zelda until I played the original on my uncle's NES in 2010.

Frapp

Frapp said:

@Samurai_Goroh "I really like Satoru Iwata, but he needs to start delivering stuff before making more hollow promises."

Yes, today was the first time I lost faith in his leadership. I like the guy a lot, and I love the third pillar approach again, but his overall stewardship has not been up to scratch recently and the broken promises are starting to really jar. I'd like to see him remain as president, but with a new CEO in place (someone from outside the company preferably).

JustinH

JustinH said:

Honestly, how is The World Ends With You not on this list?

The game I really wanted ported over is WarioWare DIY, which was brilliant. But only if they added a bunch of features to take advantage of Miiverse sharing. So yeah, maybe just a sequel then?

ningeek185

ningeek185 said:

Okay, so why aren't a lot of people getting psyched for Pokemon Black 2/White 2 for the Wii U VC? C'mon people, it's freakin' Wii U meets VC!

Also, I think I figured out how the dual screens are going to operate on the Wii U. The top screen would be shown on the TV, and the touch screen would be on the gamepad. Although it's a no brainer, it's still a good little confirmation.

ejamer

ejamer said:

Some of the suggestions people are making don't make sense to me. They are excellent games... but having the split screen between TV/gamepad would hinder gameplay. For example, Contra 4 would be really tough to play on Wii U because the game is designed to account for the gap between screens on a handheld.

That said, I'm still excited about this news. More games certainly isn't a bad thing and there are plenty of DS games that would work well.

FilmerNgameR

FilmerNgameR said:

Oh and also both the Sonic Rush games or maybe even better convince SEGA to make a new Sonic Rush game for 3DS.

mozzy1

mozzy1 said:

Dual strike was a much better game than days of ruin. Hoping for a new installment in dual strike style on 3ds

MussakkuLaden

MussakkuLaden said:

I certainly welcome DS games if the price isn't too high (no more than 15 euro in the case of a really good game, otherwise I'd buy used copies of the originals). But for the time being, I'd be satisfied if Nintendo finally brought GBA games! And other platforms, of course... The Wii U VC surely brought some improvements with it, and with Earthbound at least one great new game, but all in all it's way inferior to the Wii VC at the same time.

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

@R-Moss
Days of Ruin has a superior plot and online multiplayer. Dual Strike had superior single-player gameplay. So it really just depends on which you personally prefer.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

If the bottom screen goes to the gamepad and the top screen goes to the TV, wouldn't the games have a terrible resolution? Seems like they'd have to up the resolution to keep them from becoming horribly fuzzy.

Of course that wouldn't be the case for games like Spirit Tracks where most of the action is on the bottom screen, but still...seems like they'd have to up each game's resolution.

Anyway, if I want to play DS games, I can get most of them pretty cheap these days, and I'd rather have them for my 3DS anyhow. All of the games on this list I either all ready have or I'm not interested in.

Still, I can't say I understand the demand for strategy games like Fire Emblem...I've played Sacred Stones and Awakening and they're okay...

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

Contra 4, Henry Hatsworth, and Giana Sisters DS. I'm kind of surprised none of them are up there especially since the first was never released in EU.

Cinaclov

Cinaclov said:

If they give it analogue control, Mario 64 DS would be amazing. If it's joined by a couple of other decent DS games by the time Mario Kart comes out I might well be tempted to pick up the console.

Not that I'll have any time to actually play it, especially around the time MK is released, but nonetheless...

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Giygas_95 As long as you use an integer scaling factor then it ends up fine. (Without it then you end up with it fuzzy or have to use one of those cheap filters on it).

The Vita having exactly double the resolution of the PSP was a very good thing to do.

boynerdrambling

boynerdrambling said:

So down for DS games on my wii u. Never got to play Sprit Tracks, Days of Ruin, Elite beats, shadow dragon and loads more.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

"but few would deny that this is the better game of the two."
Actually, I think the opposite may be true. While I'm not sure which I prefer myself, the Metacritic critic and user scores for Dual Strikes were both higher than those of Days of Ruin.

Honestly, I'm not all that interested in DS games on the Wii U. Few DS games I want are particularly expensive or rare (very few are higher than their original prices), and I'd rather play them on a DS or 3DS than on the Gamepad. On top of that, Nintendo's pricing on DS VC games could be fairly high. I wouldn't be surprised if they were listed at $15, which is higher than most hard copy DS games. I'd rather see GBA, N64, and/or Gamecube games come to the eshop than DS games.

umegames

umegames said:

@CrimsonMoonMist oh yeah that would be nice too.off topic but i really wish the advance series would get re-released too. Not sure if the issue is because THQ published the series.

Kuksenkov

Kuksenkov said:

Are third party games a possibility? (Who knows)

But i'd still pay the $15 for Luminous Arc, I need to get my hands on that game.

genoboost

genoboost said:

Have to leave a comment just because you mentioned Meteos! That is probably my favorite DS title to this day. Also glad to see AW:DoR on the list too (though I would have went with AW:DS myself).

Also hope third parties can get their games up there too, there were so many underrated third party games (Monster Story, Lunar Knights, etc etc) that could find a great new life as digital downloads.

BinaryFragger

BinaryFragger said:

@Samurai_Goroh

That's my biggest worry about this announcement. How long will it take for the DS Virtual Console to be active? And when (if?) it is finally active, will Nintendo release 2 or 3 good games then release nothing for 6 months?
The 3DS Virtual Console has been very disappointing with its constant droughts... this is Nintendo's chance to start fixing things.

Marioracer

Marioracer said:

What no Custom Robo Arena that game should defienitly be on this list.
Well in my opinion.
What do You guys think

BornToSmash

BornToSmash said:

I'd rather they translated Shadow Dragon's sequel. It was another remake on DS, but only in Japan (to my knowledge).

BJWanlund

BJWanlund said:

I am in abject disagreement about Days of Ruin being good OR being considered an Advance Wars game. I will absolutely disagree with that choice and I would actually suggest something like Tetris DS take its place. Or even translate Fire Emblem: Shin Monsho no Nazo and bring it over here. I'd take even a newly localized Fire Emblem game over Days of Ruin any day of the week.

R_Champ

R_Champ said:

I'd love to have some great niche titles like SMT: Strange Journey, Rune Factory 3, and Solatorobo (and lots more). From that list Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, and Spirit tracks look great. DQ IX would also be awesome if they included some sort of online or gamepad multiplayer...(though sadly unlikely).

BJWanlund

BJWanlund said:

@Drake Amen. Dual Strike, at least for this hardened Advance Wars fan who really didn't like the direction that other game took the series (and pretty much buried it), was actually better in every way. I'd really, really, really like to forget that piece of garbage ever existed, and I sincerely hope Nintendo does as well.

BJWanlund

BJWanlund said:

@Nirvana Maybe those are still coming! I don't think Nintendo is THAT stupid. I think that leak several months ago about the remastered N64 titles is in fact real and is in fact coming sooner than we think. I'm much more surprised we haven't had a new Nintendo Direct in 2014 yet, personally.

okamiki

okamiki said:

Ds VC on wii u? Yeah right, maybe next ninty gen...

We dont even get n64 and gba games!!! There are weeks we dont even get one single snes or nes vc game, gbc games are almost invisible...

Its free to dream but dont believe this, I wont until they really annonce something.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@okamiki To be fair they never said how long (They said TG16 was coming to 3DS VC when it released and it has taken until Christmas for Japan to get just 2 two games). The fact that has actually happened gives me a little bit more faith in what they say.

Expertbr

Expertbr said:

It'd be great on Wii U:

• Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure
  • Monster Tale
  • Trauma Center: Under the Knife
  • Super Mario 64 DS (mini-games)
  • Ninja Gaiden
  • Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
  • Viva Piñata
  • Nintendogs
  • Big Bang Mini
StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

No digital downloads for me please. I want a device that plays physical DS/3DS cards, much like the Game Boy Player for Game Cube.

ACK

ACK said:

What initially convinced me that Dual Strike is the better game was the realization that despite Days of Ruin accomplishing basically everything I asked for (change of tone/mood/setting, better balance, map sharing, online multi, less nonsense, etc.), it couldn't keep me engaged and generally left me wondering why I wasn't play AW: DS instead... Regardless of my preference for the more evolved format and design.

It pretty much immediately hit me that I missed all those previous quirks I took for granted. The outrageous, unbalanced COs. The bright, highly distinguishable pixels. The unique, again unbalanced troops. The sense of progression. The goofy nonsense... Not playing online (that's being facetious, mostly).

I do love that Days of Ruin soundtrack, though.

And I suppose I should admit that I generally prefer to tear up the War Room and shred my friends in local multi - you know, that's Advance Wars to me. (Fire Emblem is for the story mode. I sorta need that distinction to differentiate the two. Advance Wars is for backpacking and camping with some buds. Fire Emblem is for kickin' it at a cabin. If anyone knows what I mean...)

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

I want them to add a game I am so fond of. I don't have it anymore, so I hope they add Dragon Quest IV. The memories...

dublae

dublae said:

Nintendo 3DS games should be made available on the 3DS. GameCube games need to be on Wii U. I want to play Super Mario Sunshine

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

@unrandomsam Ah...Thanks for the info. :) Then let's hope they do use an integer scaling factor.

Well since DS games are coming to Wii U...maybe Gamecube games will come to 3DS. One can dream. Luigi's Mansion and Mario Sunshine on 3DS would be da bomb.

fmfsony

fmfsony said:

I really don't see the point.
Most wiiu users own a 3DS or a DS.
Most games can be bought for dirt cheap!
So why buy them again to play on the wii tablet?
I might as well buy them or play them on the original media and I'll be able to take them with me anywhere.

Bass260

Bass260 said:

I know it's already been said but....

YES! We need Elite Beat Agents (and Ouedan!) on every Nintendo system.

I'm interested to find out the pricing scheme they use for DS titles.

antipop621

antipop621 said:

Henry Hatsworth was a really sweet game. Everyone should play it.

I would love it if Atlus pushes to get their DS games on this service.
They have many interesting (also rare and expensive) games I'd love to try like My World My Way, Izuna and Luminous Arc 2.

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

I'd like to see...

The World Ends with You
Super Mario 64 DS
Sonic Rush (& sequels)
Both WarioWare DS games
Rhythm Heaven
Elite Beat Agents (Never got to play it)
The Professor Layton DS games
Pac N' Roll (I actually like this game)
The Pokemon DS games (unlikely, but I'm optimistic)

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Anybody else favor the DS over the 3DS? I don't recal the 3DS getting 2 mega man games, contra, 3 MetroidVania's ect ect.

Mega man ZX Advent would be at the top of the list, followed by Kirby Canvas, PacPix, Contra 4, Legendary Starfy, Super Princess Peach, the list goes on and on. But to be honest, i'd rather get retail copies and play them on my DS Lite. :P

ACK

ACK said:

@WaveBoy It's a lost era, man. Those beautifully chunky sprites and the eloquent game design philosophy they inspired are largely extinct in favor of HD and excess. (And occasionally chunky polygons - as in, the few 3D releases.)

It's a bit tragic that 2D games have been so ignored on 3DS (retail) considering it's seemingly the most attractive market for such a product. Publishers abandoned that style with the DS, rather than even make an attempt.

element187

element187 said:

Only 13% of you want Fire Emblem on VC? For shame, for shame.

Bring over those Shin Megami Tensei titles and I'll buy them

Gorlokk

Gorlokk said:

Even though Order of Ecclesia was my least favorite of the DS Castlevania games, I picked it because I still love all 3 of the CV games on DS.

Games I'd like to see would be
Etrian Odyssey I, II, and III
Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey
Solatorobo
Golden Sun Dark Dawn
and that's prboably my top choices.

michaelshellman

michaelshellman said:

as long as its not a side scrolling game id be happy to see some of the best games for the ds come to the wii u virtual shop but only the good ones,lets not give the least power gaming experience on the wii u lets give the best most powerful gaming experience on the wii u especially if its going to be a throw back experience.

Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike said:

There's a reason why we haven't seen Pokemon games on VC yet. VC games are usually designed as standalone games, but Pokemon games are very much dependent on communication. One of the major components of the gameplay is being able to trade and battle with other players. And until Pokemon Bank was created, it would've been impossible to do because if you owned multiple games on the same console, you couldn't trade between them. And that's even assuming you could trade with other games, which on the Wii U would require internet, and I don't think they'll go for that. They don't even want to make new console games on the Wii U because you can't get that local, portable connection between gamers, so they probably won't do it for Wii U (maybe 3DS though). And BW2 is probably the worst choice for a starting VC console, at least do BW1 first. But I'd rather have Platinum and HGSS over anything 5th gen.

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

How about a western release of Mistwalker's ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat for this new DS section of the Wii U eShop!

Bassman_Q

Bassman_Q said:

I think Radiant Historia and Okamiden should be on that list, too; they're both very high on my list of favorites on DS. I'm also surprised to see Shadow Dragon on here; it's an okay game as it is until you realize it's lacking all the charm, presentation, and personality that made all the other FE games so great. In short, Shadow Dragon is the worst FE entry to date imo.

KingGanny

KingGanny said:

Honestly? The only DQ game I have played, and also own, is DQ IX. I agree with this. I would buy it on e shop even though I own it on the DS...probably. I do thoroughly enjoy the game. Enough for me to want to go back in the series. To the ones that were released on the DS. Not sure how many were, but I know several were.

I would probably get Spirit Tracks too. The others I would need to check out first though..

Boxmonkey

Boxmonkey said:

N64 games still aren't on the vc after 15 months so I don't hold out much hope of this happening any time soon.

Manaphy2007

Manaphy2007 said:

i wanna see every atlus games that have been on the ds for wii u vc (they should also add ds to 3ds vc as it makes more sense)

seronja

seronja said:

i would love to see zelda phantom hourglass, because i never played it, also all fire emblem, advance wars, kirby & metroid games should be available. but i'm really scared that these games would be too expensive like every other VC game on the Wii U

617Sqn

617Sqn said:

Ds games on wii u sounds great, there was some real gems, I would love air traffic chaos, maybe a R4 emulator as well! (joking)

willsargent

willsargent said:

You want to pay £10 a pop when you can buy these second hand on amazon for a fiver?

Are you guys for real?

Macarony64

Macarony64 said:

Very weak selection specialty when they could have chose the best versions of those games cuz dual strike is way better than day of ruin.
I would love to see almost all the dogs and tactics games the DS have those where the best on the system.

AcesHigh73

AcesHigh73 said:

For me, five words say it all:
THE WORLD ENDS WITH YOU

Still, another two can't hurt:
CHRONO TRIGGER

tom_q

tom_q said:

I know Dragon Quest IX gets a lot of praise but I still do not think it is enough. It engulfed me entirely and even grinding felt joyous, any opportunity for more people to be able to experience this would be a very good thing.

Anneke

Anneke said:

How to choose? So many good games for the DS I haven't had a chance to play.
Advance wars, Fire emblem, Okamiden (I'm missing this one in the list), Pokemon. All these titles would do great on WiiU.

BertoFlyingFox

BertoFlyingFox said:

I'd like to see Radiant Historia, Okamiden, Chinatown Wars, both LoZ DS games (phantom hourglass, spirit tracks), the SMT games, and Fire Emblem.

chiefeagle02

chiefeagle02 said:

Dragon Quest IX would be an awesome choice, especially if the Virtual Console allows for local multiplayer with [3]DS systems. The reason I played the game as long as I did after the main story was over was because of the multiplayer.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

@element187
That may be true, but lets be realistic here...Do you honestly think the 3DS will get the same variety in sprite based platformers and overall diversity when pared with the DS? I highly doubt we will see a new tradionalVania or Meroidvania,mega man 'anything' or 2D Contra.. The DS Was simply put groundbreaking with it's unique touch screen/stylus based controls and it's wonderful library of oldschool inspired titles that felt like 'lost' sprite basede N64 titles that we never got back in the mid to late 90's.....It was home to so many experimental titles(was was the wii) and 3rd party devs.

The stereoscopic 3D effect and hand held VC are the 3DS's strong suits, but i'm not too fond of it's overall current line up. I'm just not the biggest fan of the majority of traditionally controlled 3D videogames. Luigi's Mansion 2 wasn't even that great imo....I grew bored of it's weak sauce challenge and tedious nature. Still completed it, but i don't agree with the pile of 9's it's received across the interwebz. It's wrapped up in high production values, has a lot of charm, spooktacular visuals but it just wasn't that fun imo. Just one ex!

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

@ACK
. I consider most of those wonderful sprite based 2D DS titles to be lost N64 games, a console that was riddled with nothing but 3D games that turned it's back on classic gaming....Many of us had to turn to the PS1 to get that next 16 bit to 32 bit Sprite based transition. It would of been outanding if the N64 offered both Sprites and 3D games, but it gravitated towards to new born baby 3D graphics and spewed out a couple of sidescrollers > Paper Mario and the awkard looking Mischief makers.

Mega Man ZX Advent, Contra 4, Kirby Super Star Ultra, Shante Dsi, all 3 MetroidVania's, Super Princess Peach, Legendary Starfy ect ect.

These days, more horse power, equals more dev and more developers, which in the end equals less risk taking and experimental ideas. More flashy sequals for the masses. This new generation of gamers(a lot of them) just won't settle for sprites. Outside of Nintendo, I really despise where the industry is headed...

R-Moss

R-Moss said:

@electrolite77 Some Days of Ruin COs are overpower too. And worst, they got FIELD EFFECTS.

The lack of War Room and a far easy campaign are also cons.

Vriess

Vriess said:

How about we make a top 10 most wanted list of VC games that STILL need to be transferred from the Wii to the Wii U!?!?!?!!!

Ok...if I do need to pick a DS title, than it would be Okamiden.

Shambo

Shambo said:

Ghost Trick, Contact, Big Bang Mini,... The list of hidden gems that probably won't make it is endless. Probably not going to happen too, but how would anyone like a Game Boy Player-esque hardware add-on, that actually plays DS cartridges?
Anyway, anything Advance Wars would do just fine, but I still hope they'll bring an entirely new one. With Advance Wars turn-based tactical gameplay, and when engaging, Battalion Wars' combat. Or something like that. Anything would do just fine, really.

jeb_leeds

jeb_leeds said:

Definitely Croc deserves a release on the new system, also the Tony Hawk games as well!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@willsargent The 3DS XL (I think the normal as well) makes old DS games look smudged. And if you need to use the L button the DPAD is not in a very good place. There is the DSi XL but there is still the hassle of swapping cartridges. (Some of them I like to play for 10 mins at a time that is all). Constantly swapping carts (And even trying to find them when you have a room just with only games dumped into it).

Weedy

Weedy said:

Okamiden for me please. The game had quite a small pr and I never got to buy/play it.
Also, Lost Magic anyone?!

Shambo

Shambo said:

@Weedy Both games you mentioned are great for Virtual Console on Wii U. I just hope they'll dive deeper in the pile of great games for DS, then just the obvious ones. To reach these gems, and also Aliens Infestation and such. And especially games that weren't available in all regions.

bahooney

bahooney said:

Personally the updated, enhanced port Super Mario 64 DS would be a day-one purchase for me. Loved the heck out of that game. Soooo much was added to it.

Ahh... the days of Nintendo old when they added so much girth to their re-releases...

billychaos

billychaos said:

Phantasy Star 0
Any of the Advance Wars games

Not games but I would hope the emulation will support download play just like a physical DS would. Additionally, any game that supported online play (mario kart, metroid, phantasy star..), should utilize the Nintendo Network and allow you to play with those on your friend list. This could mean adding a Miiverse feature that would allow you to associate game specific friend codes with your Nintendo Network ID.

mamp

mamp said:

I chose order of Ecclesia because it's the only game on that list that I haven't owned

ReigningSemtex

ReigningSemtex said:

@BigH88 yep totally get you it is a slightly odd choice but I think now they are just trying to do anything to make the gamepad seem more important.

DJSmith99

DJSmith99 said:

This is cool but we also want N64 and Gamecube games on the Virtual Console.People have wanted them for quite some time. Nintendo needs to deliver.

Slayer

Slayer said:

Days of Ruin. I just hope there's cross platform multiplayer. I wanna see the CoD DS games. MW3 and Black Ops mainly.

Intrepid

Intrepid said:

I would really like to see Advance Wars, Trauma Center Under the Knife 2, Ace Attorney, Okamiden, and Golden Sun the most on WiiU VC.

I just realized: This may be a new way for Capcom to release Ace Attorney Investigations 2, as it's to late for a retail release, and there's no sign of 3DS getting DS VC games. Not saying Capcom would do it, but it opens up a new possibility to release the game w/o a retail release.

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

I really want to see LoZ: Spirit Tracks, because its a game I never finished, and as a big Zelda fan, that upsets me...and I need to change it. :P

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Lots of RPGs on the list, I see. If you're into RPGs and puzzle games, the DS is your system. Otherwise the games library is pretty lacking, mostly consisting of casual c***, games that go overboard with touch-screen control (Star Fox Command, Kirby Mass Attack, etc.), or ports of superior console versions. The GBA (and arguable even the 3DS this early on) has a much more diverse quality library.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@BulbasaurusRex The genres I am bothered about are much better represented on the DS than 3DS so far. (run n gun / vertical shmup / megaman x).

DS
Contra 4
Commando : Steel Disaster
Metal Slug 7
Megaman ZX
Megaman ZX2
Mega Man Zero Collection
Ketsui death label
Bangoi O Spirits
Nanostray 2

3DS
Nothing really. (Certainly not at the same quality).

sevex

sevex said:

No idea why anyone would choose Spirit Tracks over Phantom Hourglass.

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

Polarium please.
I spent HOURS on that game, I can't believe it hasn't had a sequel yet, it was so addictive

FrostFlare

FrostFlare said:

Personally, I don't like the prospect of Nintendo DS games on the Wii U Virtual Console. DS games can still be played on the 3DS, so unless Nintendo gets us a brand-new handheld, I can't approve. Honestly, I would like to see GameCube titles instead, because they are no longer playable.