Feature: Nintendo Games Our Readers Would Love to See in 2014

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Some eclectic choices

With 2014 swinging into gear, we can anticipate a number of fresh game announcements and arrivals from Nintendo, as was the case in 2013. A little while ago we shared some Nintendo games we'd love to see in 2014, attempting to produce some concrete concepts and names that we feel would be welcome announcements. Whether any of them are even close to what's actually coming is yet to be seen, yet we asked the Nintendo Life community to share its hopes for the year through the comments and by email. We received plenty of suggestions, so have compiled eight that add some extra flavour and variety to the previous list. Why eight? We've ruled out a number of franchises that are already confirmed, in some form, for 2014, and have generally gone for examples that received multiple suggestions.

As many ideas were simply given as game names, or due to a wide range of viewpoints on the same title, this time around we're going for a more generic approach. No custom names or banners, but an indication of the franchises and games that were regularly mentioned by you, the readers. Unless otherwise stated, these ideas are for new games in these franchises.

So, without further ado, here are some more games that we'd love to see, announced and / or released, in 2014.

The Wave Race franchise has skipped a whole generation of Nintendo hardware and has never actually been on a handheld device, but releases such as Aqua Moto Racing 3D — despite some flaws — do show that the genre is a nice fit for the 3DS. As a franchise perhaps low on the food chain within Nintendo we've been so bold as to suggest it could be a candidate for a more affordable eShop-only release, but naturally a retail revival isn't out of the question. With Mario Kart 7 long established and settling down in its slippers, perhaps a new Wave Race — with online multiplayer, naturally — would add some freshness and diversity for 3DS-owning racing fans.

Would you buy a new Wave Race for 3DS? (766 votes)

Yeah, Definitely!

28%

Maybe, I'd need to know more first

34%

Nah, not interested

38%

Please login to vote in this poll.

So OK, we're cheating here, but this was suggested quite a few times, and it would be wrong to complete two of these features without raising this issue. To date the Wii U Virtual Console only supports NES and Super NES games, with Game Boy Advance confirmed last year but absent to date. Suggested alternatives include the Nintendo 64, Saturn, Dreamcast and GameCube, with the first in that list being one of many systems — including platforms from other companies — on the Wii service. Naturally the two Sega entries would require a major partnership, while the GameCube is up in the air. Can Nintendo easily run GameCube files on Wii U? Are the lack of analogue triggers an issue? We'll have to wait and see on all of these, but it's nice to dream.

Which new system would you most like to be added to the Wii U Virtual Console? (895 votes)

Nintendo 64

19%

Sega Saturn

Sega Dreamcast

12%

GameCube

52%

I can't decide

I'm not bothered about any of them

Please login to vote in this poll.

This was probably one of the first franchises mentioned following the publication of the previous list, unsurprising as it only narrowly missed out. With Intelligent Systems successfully delivering — with Fire Emblem: Awakening — worldwide success on a previously underachieving franchise, it's not beyond possibility that it'll seek similar 3DS success with a new Advance Wars project. It's turn-based strategy at its finest, with Dual Strike and Days of Ruin being excellent DS titles. It seems like a no-brainer for Nintendo's current portable, and the developers are keen.

Would you buy a new Advance Wars for 3DS? (800 votes)

Yeah, Definitely!

45%

Maybe, I'd need to know more first

34%

Nah, not interested

21%

Please login to vote in this poll.

As we already know, Game Freak — best known for Pokémon — isn't averse to working on entirely different projects, with HarmoKnight arriving worldwide as a download title. A return of Drill Dozer as a download title seems attractive, especially as there's an untapped audience that may not have experienced the Game Boy Advance original — it didn't arrive in Europe at all. The basic platforming mechanics and the use of a drill weapon were used to excellent effect, and this sort of game would sit nicely on the eShop alongside titles such as Shantae and the Pirate's Curse and SteamWorld Dig; the 3DS store is a great location for these kinds of releases.

Would you buy a new Drill Dozer for 3DS? (732 votes)

Yeah, Definitely!

24%

Maybe, I'd need to know more first

43%

Nah, not interested

33%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Rather like with Wave Race on 3DS, we're potentially going to incur some wrath for implying this should arrive on the Wii U eShop. The thinking is similar, as Wii title Excite Truck arrived worldwide but sequel Excitebots: Trick Racing skipped Europe. If Nintendo and Monster Games decide to team up on a new title, a smaller and less expensive download may be an initial test of the marketplace. It's different from a typical Mario Kart game, in any case, and a 2014 announcement for a 2015 release (retail or download) would certainly help boost the volume of fun racing games on the home console — the usual online multiplayer goodies would be required, of course.

Would you buy a new Excite Truck for Wii U? (740 votes)

Yeah, Definitely!

25%

Maybe, I'd need to know more first

32%

Nah, not interested

43%

Please login to vote in this poll.

This one seems to be based on some semblance of reality, as a brief snippet of footage and subsequent trademark filings were combined with some nudging and winking from senior 'mon staff in 2013. It's highly likely that some sort of Pokémon project is in the works for the Wii U, and a spin-off fighting game also seems feasible. Time will tell, but it wouldn't surprise us if some Pokémon hype is thrown towards the home console this year.

Would you buy Pokken Fighters for Wii U? (817 votes)

Yeah, Definitely!

50%

Maybe, I'd need to know more first

29%

Nah, not interested

20%

Please login to vote in this poll.

This one had a few mentions from retro gamers with fond memories of the two original NES games. These took place with a top-down gameplay style that drew immediate comparisons to The Legend of Zelda, yet it had a completely different style and charm, making an iconic hero out of Mike Jones. It was full of colour and intriguing environments, though this would surely have to go down as a long-shot — a new entry would likely need to be a decent-sized adventure, and the brand is unlikely to carry much clout beyond dedicated fans. Still, stranger things have happened.

Would you buy a new StarTropics for Wii U? (693 votes)

Yeah, Definitely!

23%

Maybe, I'd need to know more first

42%

Nah, not interested

34%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Of course this was going to be included. Nintendo kept fans waiting for far too long before serving up the Super NES EarthBound on the Wii U Virtual Console, and the fact that it's nestled itself in the upper reaches of the eShop charts may have caught Nintendo's attention. Fan-produced 3D models like these do little to dispel the hopes and dreams of fans, so this one is likely to be in the "unlikely but not impossible" category. If a new HD EarthBound is announced for the Wii U, the internet may melt down.

Would you buy a new EarthBound for Wii U? (806 votes)

Yeah, Definitely!

68%

Maybe, I'd need to know more first

22%

Nah, not interested

10%

Please login to vote in this poll.

So those were some ideas from the community. Feel free to pick your favourite and debate their merits — as entries themselves or alternatively our interpretation of the suggestions — in the comments below.

Which is your favourite entry from this Nintendo wish-list? (828 votes)

Wave Race (3DS eShop)

Games for additional Wii U Virtual Console platforms (Wii U eShop)

28%

Advance Wars (3DS)

14%

Drill Dozer (3DS eShop)

Excite Truck (Wii U eShop)

Pokken Fighters (Wii U)

19%

StarTropics (Wii U)

EarthBound (Wii U)

21%

I don't like any of them

Please login to vote in this poll.

RCMADIAX

RCMADIAX said:

I'm throwing stacks at the screen for Wave Race but Nintendo's not taking 'em.

robertman2

robertman2 said:

Mother 3 english release. Everything else can wait!!! Or an ultra-gritty Duck Hunt reboot.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

EARTH FREAKING BOUND!

Never gonna happen, but I'd be happy beyond words if it did.

arronishere

arronishere said:

None of these intrest me that much apart from Earthbound Wii U but I doubt it would be done by 2014.

Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh said:

I want an Excite Truck on Wii U, but with the full scale of a retail game, is that much to ask?

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Nice article, but, but... STAR FOX! That's what I want more than anything.

And a full fledged Balloon Fight game with more than one area/level

Heck I'd take an Ice Climbers sequel if they made it a bit more diverse and tightened up the controls.

For what its worth, I voted Earthbound, But Advance Wars is a close second.

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

Pokemon fighters with the metsu hadokens and shoryurepps everywhere.

And they should add Lt.Surge as a playable characther, because he looks like Guile.

moomoo

moomoo said:

I feel like all of the continuations of series that are on this list have run their course. I don't see much need for a new Advance Wars or Wave Race from a perspective of new ideas. The only cool idea on here would be a Pokémon fighting game.

As for Earthbound, it's pretty much the worst JRPG I've played when it comes to game mechanics, so it can die in a fire. :p

The fact that we don't have a wider variety of VC games really irks me.

Doobie

Doobie said:

It was so hard to pick between Dreamcast virtual console games or Gamecube virtual console games haha. I want both!!

ueI

ueI said:

Virtual Console is such an obvious choice that I forgot to choose it in the last poll.

Falchion

Falchion said:

I love startropics! That got me really excited! I have only played the first one and its the only nes game where i defeated the final boss. So much fun. It is like quirky legend of zelda... Maybe i will go buy the second one now

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

If Pokemon Fighters doesn't have Gardevoir I'd be much less interested.

But the game would have to have more than a concept and a patent for me to be upset if Gardevoir isn't in the game.

Untitled

FlyingKickPunch

FlyingKickPunch said:

StarTropics! I'd love to go back to Coralcola and explore some more dungeons and kill bad guys with baseballs and yo-yos.
Mikey FTW!

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

What I want to see released in 2014????
FE vs SMT, "X", Eternal Darkness VC, Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn VC or Eshop, A new Baseball and Basketball game, N64 THQ Wrestling games on VC, and StarFox

DRLAdmin

DRL said:

StarTropics for Wii U. Keep talking about it. Hopefully Nintendo will take notice and get something in motion soon. I'd be the happiest guy on the planet.

mattcam84

mattcam84 said:

"The Wave Race franchise has skipped a whole generation of Nintendo hardware and has never actually been on a handheld device..." Actually Wave Race began life as a Game Boy game, and even became a "Players Choice". Wave Race 64 was the sequel.

Hunter-D

Hunter-D said:

The VC service needs a real kick up the derriere. There are SOOOO many great classics that should be available that aren't available. Instead we just keep getting Urban champion.

Also, I really would like new games such as Advance Wars (think we'll see it announced this year though), Excite! (whatever) Wave Race, 1080, F-Zero etc.

SecondServing

SecondServing said:

Man, if they announced a new Earthbound for Wii U or even 3ds, I'd blow my load and then some due to extreme happiness!

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

While I'm sure they would make for interesting games, none of the proposed games would tickle me like WarioWare 3DS or Mario Party 10 would. I voted for more Virtual Console platforms and GameCube in particular.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Anyone else think we'll see Wave Race Resort, taking place around Wuhu Island?

rbmoura85

rbmoura85 said:

Wow...lets hope wiiu's 2014 releases are better them this wishlist, otherwise this console is really screwed, and i will star calling it my little zelda u player :/

ICHIkatakuri

ICHIkatakuri said:

For Wii u they (Nintendo) need to get all their racing franchises out on Wii u, with online vs modes. F-zero, 1080, wave race, excitetruck/bike all could be easy to make as unlike Nintendo thinks, they don't need new hooks or ideas to make them valid just new courses and online modes.

NintendoROCKET

NintendoROCKET said:

1. Gamecube games on Wii U VC
2. GBA games on 3DS VC(non-ambassadors can download)
3. SNES games on 3DS VC
4. Super Mario Galaxy 3D
5. Super Mario Sunshine Remake/SMS 2 for 3DS
6. The Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
7. Mario Party 10(that actually plays like the old Mario Parties!!)

gregrout

gregrout said:

I would most definitely buy Advanced Wars in a heartbeat. Some of the other titles seem alright.

Senario

Senario said:

Advance wars please! More along the lines of the original series of games and not days of ruin too. I liked dual strike.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

I am hoping for just a better virtual console in general... the one we have now is a piece of S***

DIE4GOD

DIE4GOD said:

This is only Nintendo fan voting, I like to see non Nintendo fan vote too

komodo182

komodo182 said:

I just put three credit cards on my laptop, but nintendo isn't charging them for earthbound wii u.....

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

Such a hard choice to pick one. :( I settled for advance wars because I can't pick...

zool

zool said:

N64 and Gamecube games enhanced for the Wii u would be a good idea. As was Zelda WIND Waker.

But NOT at a cost of £49.99 as the Wind Waker was.

Old games with enhanced graphics would fill gaps between new releases, but let's not pretend they are new games and deserve a new game price tag.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

For me both Dreamcast / Gamecube is fairly readily available most of it is 60fps. Saturn on the other hand lots of the stuff is astronomically expensive. The region free mod is a nightmare to do. The NTSC ones have a different pinout for the RGB.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@zool Depends on the Game. Tales of Symphonia remake seems to be getting lapped up at £60 for the collectors edition. (I had it on the Gamecube and didn't find it that great - I really did like Tales of Phantasia).

zool

zool said:

@unrandomsam maybe, but what N64 or GameCube game on the Wii u would sell for £60 in vast quantities.

Maybe two games on one disk at full price would be attractive to buyers. Don't forget most of us have already paid full price for these old games.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

Oh man, Excitetruck/Excitebots sequel would be tops for me. For the 50% who aren't interested, WHERE IS YOUR SOUL?

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I had to give priority to Dreamcast games on VC. Can't we even have some of the titles that appeared on PS360?

But Pokken Fighters and Excitetruck sequel are my second and third place. Amazed that Starfox and F Zero did not make the list.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

I can't believe so many people voted no to Drill Dozer. I don't know this community anymore! :Runs away crying:

maneauleau

maneauleau said:

I would have like an advanced wars for Wii U with the gamepad it would have been nice I think. They could do some nice RTS or Tactical RPG with the gamepad don't you think?

lorenzo99

lorenzo99 said:

More Virtual Console titles full stop instead of drip feeding the 'one a week' syndrome. I would love a new Starfox, F Zero and Wave race on Wii U if you're listening Nintendo please.

MeWario

MeWario said:

N64 games please :( Wave Race on 3DS Eshop would be neat :) heck all these suggestions sound neat!

Link41x

Link41x said:

Umm....Wave Race started on Game Boy, so it wouldn't be the first time it appeared on a handheld :P A correction is needed :)

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I would like a full version of the mother trilogy. Uncensored or messed with in any way. Maybe with some improvements but after that I don't think it should be messed with by releasing sequels.

freaksloan

freaksloan said:

I want Super Mario Kart, Mario Kart 64, Mario Kart: Super Circuit and Mario Kart: Double Dash!! on my Wii U.

SkywardCrowbar

SkywardCrowbar said:

If we could get Wave Race I would be SOOOOOO happy! Wave Race 64 was one of my first games. Along with Super Mario 64 and Goldeneye 007, that game made me a gamer.

FritzFrapp

FritzFrapp said:

JEEZ! Have I wandered into the EA forums by mistake? No wonder Nintendo are struggling when its own fans are so unbelievably apathetic.

Not interested in a new Excite Truck?! Not interested in a new Advance Wars?!! Not interested in a new Drill Dozer?!!! Not interested in a new WAVE RACE?!!!
It's like some sick sort of nightmare.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@zool Fire Emblem : Path of Radiance -

I personally would for a version of the Megaman X Collection with a reasonable amount of effort put in to it.

SkywardCrowbar

SkywardCrowbar said:

@ Frapp: I want all of those! So many franchises to draw from, I want to see ALL of them on 3DS and Wii U.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Frapp None of the options are something completely new. (If they make a new Advance Wars I think they will try and do what they did to Fire Emblem and I am not interested in that). It is getting worse and worse as well. Last new things were Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing. (Properly resourced ones). That was ages ago.

lorenzo99

lorenzo99 said:

I second that! We need these titles on Wii U too! It's been too long without Wave Race! Advance Wars on Wii U would be perfect! F Zero, Starfox, Excite Bike all welcome on Wii U!

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

excite truck for 3DS would be cool. the 3D would look insane !

advance wars for 3DS would be my favourtie pick

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

I know it's not on this list above but I would love to see Kuma Tomo - 3DS over here in the US. :)

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

El_Scorpio

El_Scorpio said:

I would like to see Metroid 2.5D and Xenosaga Chronicles-like RPG, both for 3DS. That means no random encounters, no turn-based fights and vast open world. And my personal wish that never comes true - Shenmue.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

Super Mario Bros. 3 maybe? Nah, not the way they're going. Can't be bothered to keep up with the other regions...

whodatninja

whodatninja said:

But... I already got Earthbound. It's already on the Wii U? I dont quite know what they're getting at. How about Mother 1 and 3 instead!

I would love more VC titles. And a new Star Fox and Metroid entry. Maybe a open world Pokemon console game!

A definitive version of Chrono Trigger (the DS one) on the Wii U would also be acceptable!!!

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

I'm going to say it again Blast Corps for the Wii U. If you don't know what it is look it up. I'd buy it in a New York Minute!

Zero_Revolution

Zero_Revolution said:

GCN games on Virtual Console would be awesome, I know I missed a few great games on there. It'd probably be cheaper than purchasing the games for my actual GCN, and Wii U Gamepad support, so yeah, I'd definitely get some of those.

Skyfox2000

Skyfox2000 said:

I Would Like to Have Dreamcast and Gamcube Games I would love to Play Sonic Adventure 1&2 and Phantasy Star Online in HD. And For Gamecube I would love to go back and play MGS Twin Snakes and Luigi's Mansion That Would Make me Really HAPPY.

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

Startropics and Earthbound! I think both of these games would be good fits on 3DS actually. But of course they would move some Wii Us as well. And Nintendo is very foolish if they don't release a real pokemon game for Wii U to move some consoles.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

Only Advanced Wars 3DS would be a definite buy for me. I love Earthbound, but if there's none of the original people still around, it would only be Earthbound in name, so who knows how good it would turn out?

I know it's only a bit of fun, but I just find it hard to get excited by a name. If a team made a great game a couple of years ago, it would be enough to get me excited, but not really 'What if some random people inside Nintendo tried making an Earthbound game?'.

8bitforever

8bitforever said:

How about an account system where I don't have to pay twice to play Zelda on my 3DS and WiiU! I just bought a PS3 and found out that a lot of my games were playable on the PS3, and I don't have to pay twice! This ripped it for me, no more digital purchases on eshop until their account system is in place. This is why Nintendo is headed down the crapper! And a the DLC I am not getting! I just traded almost all of my WiiU games for PS3 versions so I could at least get the DLC stuff. Tired of paying for lesser versions. 2014 needs to be the year Nintendo gets their head out of their butts and gets this stuff fixed or they won't last past 2014.

Doma

Doma said:

Gimme my new (3DS only) Advance Wars, damn it!

@Senario More like the originals, as in AW2 please. The RPG elements and overpowered features of Dual Strike were not good..

zool

zool said:

@unrandomsam maybe there is a small market for a box set, disk, poster, artwork or booklet as a limited edition for some games and Nintendo could charge £60 plus for them.

But to release an old game with just the graphics enhanced to HD and then reboxed as though it were a new game and sold for £50 is really 'a rip off'. More than a rip off, it shows that Nintendo are getting desperate. Not many people are buying Wii'u's, so even less will buy the WindWaker, so to recoupe money Nintendo charge the people who would buy it more.

Sinister

Sinister said:

Wave Race or Advanced Wars would be instant buys for me.
Pokémon Fighters is interesting but all the others i pretty much do not care about.

FritzFrapp

FritzFrapp said:

@Doma "Are people THIS desperate to play old games on their failed console? It's only gonna stay dead that way, i hope you realize...."

The article clearly refers to new games in each franchise.
Time for a visit to Specsavers.

darklinkinfinite

darklinkinfinite said:

I would love for Nintendo to find a faster way to port VC games to the Wii U and make is sustainable so that we don't go through this crap again with Nintendo's next system. I've already given up on the Wii U's VC ever being as great as the Wii's and if they wipe the slate clean and start over with a new console...

BigDaddysPizza

BigDaddysPizza said:

I wish Advance Wars could come back, but somebody would have to claim them and make the game. Apparently Intellegent Studios cannot make it own their own, so it's very unlikely Advance Wars 3DS will be made. But I would buy it in a heartbeat.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

Fire Emblem: Awakening was my first Strategy RPG, and so if Advance Wars is anything like it I'm all for it.

rmeyer

rmeyer said:

New Metroid Prime for Wii U, new 3ds classic Metroid game with new ideas kinda like Zelda a link between worlds

ningeek185

ningeek185 said:

Although I'm all for Pokken Fighters, I'd love to see some new bang for the buck on the Wii U VC. We need GameCube! The GCN is the most underrated Nintendo console, in my opinion.

SockoMario

SockoMario said:

@Doma
>Are people THIS desperate to play old games on their failed console? It's only gonna stay dead that way, i hope you realize....

Yes. You're 100% right! The Wii U has only been out for a year, and we should already be calling it a "failed" or "dead console" already! The PS3 didn't start selling well until 2010, and nobody called it a "failed" or "dead console" before 2010.

Your logic baffles me. ;)

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

Personally, my vote is thrown in for an ExciteBots sequel on Wii U rather than Excitetrucks.

I'd rather much have WaveRace on Wii U than on 3DS. Seems like a game that would work better for a home console, especially for showing off tech.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

@SockoMario The PS3 has sold over twice the number of consoles as the Wii U had after a year. I'm not saying it's dead, far from it, but really comparing it to the 'poor selling PS3' just makes things look even worse.

lorenzo99

lorenzo99 said:

Wave race on Wii U would be a no brainer! Just wish they would release one and F Zero! GX was amazing!

Williaint

Williaint said:

I'm totally with the Advance Wars crowd. I think they have started focussing too much on expanding the powers, making it less strategy. I don't want to see every character have three sets of special attacks.
I'd like to see a new 'Earthbound/Mother' on Wii U, but, I agree with Peach64: If they put Earthbound out to one of their smaller studios, it's probably going to end up pretty crummy...
I'd rather see a new Excitebike 64. Not truck, not bot, not a remake either ( no more HD or 3D, or HD3D remakes ) A brand new — possibly online, as that IS the fad these days-- game.
I'd like to see more virtual console titles, from any of the listed consoles. There are a lot of people fond of the N64 generation, Personally there are a lot of SNES games I'd love to see on there. it does seem redundant having to pay for the same game twice; especially if it's one you have on your Wii.
@Doma Although you are a bit negative, I'm surprised how Many chose VC...
@TheTreePerson Even better than a GC is a Wii. You could probably get one for cheaper, too (As long as you don't get the Mini, which doesn't have GC powers).

rmeyer

rmeyer said:

@lorenzo99 if they make a new f-zero they seriously need to take tips from Blizzards rock and roll racing. The upgrading should be the funnest part

Senario

Senario said:

@Doma Your opinion not fact. Again, I enjoyed Dual strike as it was the last advance wars game that made the series...well...advance. Things that are broken aren't exactly bad as other games like path of exile or Dota 2 show. If everything is OP nothing is.

Laxiom

Laxiom said:

Release the flood gates on VC, anything and everything owned by Nintendo should be available to DL.. Bundled flash sales would be great too. I can't be the only one that would happily purchase popular series in bulk.

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

I know having more Virtual Console games and platforms would be great, but if there were a new Earthbound game I'd flip out. Then I'd flip out again. Then I'd gather all my friends around for a group "fuzzy pickles" photo. And after that, I'd proceed to purchase, download and play a new HD Earthbound.

ArcanaXVI

ArcanaXVI said:

Drill Dozer is an amazing game and criminally underplayed. Seeing it come back for another round would be a dream come true.

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

Not a huge fan of any of these, really, except EarthBound, which will never happen. Extra VC support is needed, but should be obvious already, and playing old games isn't really what i want the most on Wii U going forward.

TheRealThanos

TheRealThanos said:

What the f... ? Where are Star Fox and F-Zero? People really have no taste at all. Also, Wave Race on 3DS? Why have a sub-GameCube version when you could have a HD updated version with extras on the Wii U?
Drill Dozer? Never heard of it and from what I've seen from the video, it is hardly a big loss; very repetitive and samey. Completely ridiculous that this showed up in the list instead of Star Fox and F-Zero...
@mystman12 Are you serious? A game with a Pink Blob on a star shaped disc flying at speeds not even half that of F-Zero instead of a crazy, fun, over the top arcade racer? Excite Truck would be very nice on Wii U if they would also incorporate Excite Bots and upgraded the game. It would easily fit into a 1.5 - 2GB download. Why there are so many against it, I don't know. Either they haven't played it or don't like arcade type games.
HD Eartbound? Yes please!
Also ridiculous: so many votes for a Pokémon fighting game, yegh! There have GOT to be more kids on here than I thought. Go away and play your Pokémon Stadium, XD or Colosseum games... And Advance Wars scored even less overall? Impossible...
Liking the rest of the list though, except for no opinion on Star Tropics since I've never played that. Also love how so many people keep saying "Advanced" Wars, maybe it's the same people that continuously refer to Michael Pachter as "Patcher"... And there's even an easy way to remember how it should be spelled since the series got a new life on the Gameboy Advance. Although I guess there's an equal amount of people that are still calling that handheld a Gameboy Advanced as well... ;)
@Spoony_Tech Blast Corps? Hell yeah!
But let's save people that don't know about it the trouble of looking it up:
@Doma what else would the virtual console be for other than playing games from previous consoles?
@unrandomsam "what they did to Fire Emblem"? I assume you mean Fire Emblem Awakening on 3DS? I have it, and also have all the Cube and Wii games and I love all of them, so I wonder what seems to disturb you about the 3DS version...
@Williaint besides my own preferences I wouldn't mind some Excite Bike either, so thumbs up to that...

thexmaverick

thexmaverick said:

I would like to see a new Star Tropics game that would br like a Uncharted game..this would be interesting lol

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

Virtual Console and a StarTropics that is nothing like Tomb Raider/Uncharted style of scripted movie-games.

mystman12

mystman12 said:

@TheRealThanos Well, okay, I guess both should of been on the list, but let me tell you about Kirby Air Ride. It features three modes. The first one, Air Ride, is, well really boring. I barely ever play it. The second one, Top Ride, is a fun little game with friends in quick bursts. Then you have the third mode, City Trial, which is basically the best multiplayer game of all time. You and the other players all start out in a large city to explore, where you have to find power ups and better stars, but at the same time you also fight each other to try and steal power ups, or if your angry at them (Like they took your favorite star) you can even blow up their. The game also has events, like meteors or one where a huge pillar appears, and breaking causes a ton of items to pop out. After the time limit is up, all the players compete in stadium event, which can be anything from a race to a battle to a competition to see how high each player can jump up. The game has just the right amount of randomized elements, that it never gets old, but at the same time doesn't feel like it's all just based on luck. I've been playing this game regularly with my siblings for at least 6 years, and I still love it! Then you have excite trucks, which is just another racing game, with some fun twists. I'm not saying that it would be a bad game, but there are already a lot of racing games, and while Kirby Air Ride is categorized as a racing game, City Trial isn't. Whenever I say I want a sequel to KAR, I want a sequel that focuses on City Trial. So let me rephrase my original comment: Seriously, you didn't put a sequel to Kirby Air Ride that focuses on City Trial on the list? sigh

Edit: Oh, and in City Trial, the main power up are patches, which permanently makes something better on your star. So, if you manage to pick up a lot of Top Speeds, you can go manage to go much faster than F-Zero.

thanos316

thanos316 said:

metroid. new zelda, and not a remake. xenoblades 2. a new super mario galaxy. i guess it takes the stock or share holders to lose money for nintendo to try something different. nintendo users has been asking for new games. nintendo users been asking for big games early in the life cycle. nintendo users been asking for gamecube back ward compatability right out the box. i guesss it takes some bad news for nintendo to change a lil. im not asking for a big change, just listen to your base and you can tell a lot.

thanos316

thanos316 said:

am i the only person that dont want remakes..they are a lot of good games on this list but none i want to play again. nintendo is sitting on some gold mines and don't want to let them out. if they bring out a new metroid it would be amazing. i think it would rival halo, or gears of war.. correct me if im wrong.

Doma

Doma said:

@TheRealThanos I was talking about the results of the last poll, 'pick a favourite' (more people voting VC than new games). Should've explained myself better.

millarrp

millarrp said:

There are so many games/series I would like to see get a wii u-pdate, especially the virtual console... Even something like a Duck Hunt remake as a eStore offering I would buy without giving a 2nd thought (which I'm surprised they didn't do on the Wii when they introduced the Wii Zapper)

tripunktoj

tripunktoj said:

As I said the last time, Im not a fan of downloading (instead of buying at retail) new entries in classic Nintendo series, and Id rather wait a year or so to get it free as a club.nintendo reward if I were interested in one.

For me, the best of the list is Earthbound. I don't really like the Wars series, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of getting a new game if it were a REALLY well done game, which happened to me with Fire Emblem for 3DS.

I have never played Saturn and Dreamcast games (except Sonic games) so Id be really interested in those systems for VC... N64, GBA and NGC? No thanks, I have the real consoles to play those games as it was intended.

Oh, I almost forgot, but I hope Pokken Fighters is the codename for a proper Pokémon Stadium 3, compatible with X & Y and ideally with every other DS game.

thanos316

thanos316 said:

@TheRealThanos.. im the real and only thanos here. but i like your argument, i cant believe people are voting for all these games. i would give anything to see another starfox, a new starfox i may add on the wii u.

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

Wave Race needs to be on Wii U as a full retail title, ditto Excite Truck (such a fun game, try it!!)
The rest Im not too fussed about, the Pokémon fighter especially can sod off!

Williaint

Williaint said:

Yes, we ("Any Fans of Nintendo") all want F-Zero, Star Fox 64 3, Mario Galaxy, and 2 new Legend of Zelda's which are also ON 3DS and Metroid Prime 4.
When and if the next "fully 3D" Mario game comes out, It's name better be : "SUPER MARIO UNIVERSE"
@ TheRealThanos
My favourite feature in ExciteBike 64 was creating my own tracks. Despite Wii U's "lack of power", some awesome tracks and custom bikes could be created, and quite easily with the G-Pad. Even better, would be the ability to cloud the bikes/tracks online.
Alternatively, F-Zero: "Tentative Existence" could also use those same features, primarily the custom vehicle mode.

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

advance wars sounds good i have not seen a new game in a long time and earthbound i would buy that game in the first day it comes out.

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

Gamecube VC now please. First release, Smash Bros Melee to tide us over till the new game. Also, Pokemon Colosseum on Wii U and Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire on 3DS VC.

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

A new EarthBound would be awesome, and I'd buy it on day 1.

It's likely never going to happen, though.

TheRealThanos

TheRealThanos said:

@mystman12 Okay, fair enough. I never played it more than once and at that time I was completely into Wave Race, 1080 and F-Zero, so that is where my verdict came from. Might have been a bit harsh on it then...
@Doma Well, thanks anyway for clearing that up. It was kind of puzzling...
@thanos316 #136 Really? Well my friend, that totally depends upon a couple of things: first of all your real name, second your age, and third "on here" being NLife since you joined this site way before I did. Other than that: I was Thanos LONG before the internet even existed and I'm 43 years old. Guess that settles that. The only reason that I started putting "TheReal" in front of it is because of stupid online forums and my Xbox Live account already containing way to many Thanosses. And I wasn't about to start calling myself "thanos3627". And you could at least give one of the most interesting characters of the Marvel Universe some credit by writing his name with a capital T... ;)
@andrea987 Interesting choice. Come to think of it, I certainly wouldn't mind a third game. I really enjoyed the first two, and with the improved capabilities of the Wii U it could be a really nice game. Diving equipment like cameras and such could also be displayed on the GamePad...

WaxxyOne

WaxxyOne said:

I think Nintendo needs to change their strategy with virtual console on the Wii U. On the Wii, they were selling systems like hotcakes on the motion controls and Wii Sports alone, so they could afford to release a few VC games a week with really only one or two good ones a month. The Wii U is failing, and unleashing a large amount of great games from their back catalog can only make the system more attractive to prospective buyers. Leverage that library, Nintendo!

TheRealThanos

TheRealThanos said:

@thanos316 But only on NLife then: since I got some years on you, you should be the alternate one... ;)
But seriously: no big deal man, let's just say we both have good taste in avatar names...

Birthday_Boy

Birthday_Boy said:

More fighting games need to come to Wii U. I'm sad we don't get Soulcalibur, Dead or Alive, or any of Capcom's Fighters. Even an HD remake would be good.
Pokken Fighters would be very interesting, because if there's one genre that really needs a new mainstream one in the genre, it's fighting games.

Vriess

Vriess said:

I'm not even screaming for the GC titles yet. Just give us ALL the VC games that were released since the launch of the Wii in 2006 and release more of the older titles and a lot quicker. I love the classics!

Wave Rave 64 on the 3DS would be sweet :)

King_Boo

King_Boo said:

I'd love a new Excite game, but it shouldn't be limited to trucks. Throw in ATVs, bikes, and anything else really.

LightSuitGuy

LightSuitGuy said:

Neither of the Metroid games, F-Zero, or Star Fox made the list? :/

I for one truly want Prime 4. Or at least another entry done by Retro Studios.

A new F-Zero should at least be a Wii U eShop title. Online multiplayer is the biggest must.

Star Fox just needs a new entry that helps expand the series beyond on-rail shooting; like what Assault did.

Mikau94

Mikau94 said:

Metroid, StarFox, Pokemon HD, F-Zero, Fire Emblem U and Megaman to name a few.

efaulk84

efaulk84 said:

Dear Nintendo please go back to three Virtual Console releases a week. Also please bring GBA games to those who were not ambassadors.

Nomad

Nomad said:

I'd love to see some SEGA Saturn games on the VC, particularly the Panzer Dragoon games. I'd also like to see a new Kid Icarus game. I know we just recently got Uprising on 3DS but the one before that was what, about twenty years ago? I really don't want to have to wait that long for a new entry. Hopefully the Big N hasn't forgotten Pit even though I think a lot of gamers have. Every time I see a most wanted list it's always Metroid, Starfox and F Zero. Where's the Kid Icarus love?

pnutz

pnutz said:

There's plenty of IPs that I would love to see, but I'm thinking that Ninty has just gotten around to pulling their heads out of their butts and realizing that they can't completely fall back on the plumber when things are going as rough as they are now. So I'm not expecting much beyond DK:TF, MK8, SSB and dynasty Hyrule in 2014, maybe one or two other modest releases.

But since this is what I want, I hope they double down on the U and do new sprawling 2D metroid, earthbound, startropics, and fzeros. At least as a tease for 2015.

Bryon15

Bryon15 said:

I'd just like to point out that it is already possible to play gamecube games on Wii U. Hackers have done it. The homebrew app is called devolution. For games that require the analog shoulder trigger, there's a $20 adapter you can buy that let's you use your old GC controller. So there's really no reason nintendo can't put gamecube games on virtual console. If the hackers can do it, so can they.

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

@Bryon15 I have one of those adapters (I like to use Gamecube controllers with N64 titles in Wii mode's VC) and they really do work. Totally worth it. The Wavebird works just fine with it as well.

hiddenstampede

hiddenstampede said:

Would desire to see ANY official appearance of Friend Collection in English. Betting that it will never be localized, sigh. I guess, I'll stick with DS version. Which it's within their language and region free. Keep saving money for japanese 3ds. (Or perhaps PS4 for the latest, coming Nobunaga's Ambition ^ __^)

Honestly, Nobunaga's Ambition would fit perfectly for Wii-U, due to most gameplay on overview of the land. <( ^^) Come on Tecmo-Koei, give wii-u a chance!

hiddenstampede

hiddenstampede said:

Mother 3, continuing the project (Wii-u version) in 3d...! I'll be first in line, right on front of the factory. 8D I believe Advance Wars should come to wii-u version. (As well to 3ds, ofc.) I can think some potential ideas.

Pikachupwnage

Pikachupwnage said:

My Wishlist for new games this year that aren't extremely far fetched(I think Metroid is coming but it won't be this year. Same with Zelda)

3DS

Advance wars
Majoras Mask 3D
Tomodachi collection (localization)
Fossil fighters(Localization)
Warioware(Digital)
New original Gamefreak game(Digital)
Monolith Soft's unannounced 3DS game.

Combined with Kirby, Smash, Chibi-Robo, Mario Golf and Yoshi that are already confirmed this would be a solid year

Wii U

Super Mario Sunshine HD
Pokken Fighters
Miyamoto's New IP
Star Fox
Paper Mario

With Smash, Hyrule Warriors DK, Mario kart, and possibly X, Yoshi, and SMT X FE this would be a rock solid year.

Sampras

Sampras said:

Sooo many great fighting games and arcade classics on Dreamcast! Virtual console has huge untapped potential.

pnutz

pnutz said:

Oh, and a proper Battalion Wars 3. With more of a feel of the older Battlefiled games and asynchronous general controls on the pad/4 player local coop. Oh baby.

Windy

Windy said:

Phantasy Star Online Burst for 3ds and Phantasy Star online 2 for Wii-U

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

Wii can run GCN BC, and Wii Mode exists. That's how easy it is to run GCN games on Wii U.

I'm not particularly wishing for any of these games, but the Pokemon one and Eartbound would definitely be on my list, if they were to happen.

Findonovan95

Findonovan95 said:

I wouldn't mind a new "Mario Strikers - Charged Football" game. I really liked that game for the Wii. I also dream of the day they get Banjo-Kazooie back from Microsoft. Although I'm pretty sure the latter will never happen.

Morph

Morph said:

Why not do an excite truck/bike crossover with waverace, i could see plenty of potential there, maybe even thow in pilotwings as well and it could be like triathlon, but done in a different way to the sega racing transformed games

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

Very much need a Virtual console which has Gamecube, Dreamcast and Sega Saturn platforms.

Anguspuss

Anguspuss said:

if wind walker took 6 months for its hd transformation. Surley sm galaxy etc could cheaply & easily bee upgraded & released on the eshop

Anneke

Anneke said:

Advance wars is one of the best franchises there is! Advance wars WiiU! WiiU could use some turn based strategy games.

Also what would be great is a way to play ds games on the WiiU! I would definitely get that!

MrMario02

MrMario02 said:

Guys, Shigesato Itoi Confirmed that he would never make another earthbound for as long has he lives so.....

James1993

James1993 said:

@Nomad
There must always be love for the Kid Icarus series!
Nintendo always mostly focus on their biggest franchises.
I have never played Kid Icarus or Kid Icarus: Uprising though.

IxnayontheCK

IxnayontheCK said:

@James1993 um, maybe a month or so ago? I lose track but someone posted the link in the comments section one day and I got my hopes way up. Google it and you should be able to find it.

hiddenstampede

hiddenstampede said:

@Pikachupwnage
Thanks. I'm glad there's a chance. I guess, the president of NOA is alright in my list after all. People need to know the Friend Collection series!

I just recall, how awful that IGN misrepresented the game of the DS version.

michaelshellman

michaelshellman said:

cant decide weather n64 or dreamcast games would be better.....i never owned a dreamcast so it would be neat to try there top 10 titles i never played before. then again i would love remastered n 64 games with online play like pokemon stadium or star craft. also hybrid heaven or Jet Force Gemini with upgraded improvements in controls,graphic and gameplay would be freaken awesome!

micPL

micPL said:

I vote on Earthbound on Wii U, but new Excite Truck or Endless Ocean 3 would be great too ! And one more question - where is my Fatal Frame on Wii U Nintendo ?

redoschi

redoschi said:

I want N64 and/or Gamecube games on my Wii U!

And a brand new Advance Wars would also be GREAT!

Game-Over

Game-Over said:

Slightly puzzeld why more people would want to see N64 games on the Wii U Virtual console then Dreamcast. The Nintendo N64 was a decent system and being that it's already on Wii it's the more likely to be added but i think the addition of Dreamast and Gamecube games would be a step up and would bring more attention to the Wii U.

Game-Over

Game-Over said:

The Wii U virtual console needs to be improved , even the old Wii has a better catalogue of games, more systems and more publishers. The new Virtual Console just seems to be going over old ground which is fine being that it is retro but some upgrades need to be added. I was expecting a general improvement all round with the Virtual Arcade, Wii Ware and so on, i'd like to see games like Street Fighter Arcade, Final Fight Arcade and Marvel vs Capcom being released along with the SNES versions. Hopefully this will happen somewhere down the line.

MaverickHunterX

MaverickHunterX said:

What I want to see on the WiiU in 2014?
Though HIGHLY unlikely, I'd like to see "X", Yarn Yoshi and Fire Emblem X SMT get released this year. But one could dream.

And maybe, just maybe during some ND this year we'll actually see a trailer for Zelda U, or Nintendo could let Platinum Games have a crack at Metroid. Why? One word. Vanquish.

Vanquish's gameplay + Metroid-style exploration = WIN.

SuprisedStar

SuprisedStar said:

@Williaint I HAVE a Wii, and I say GC is 106% BETTER (my opinon of course). I HATE the motion controls, everytime it's some new gimmick, like that other guy said on another article, every new console has SOME NEW FRICKIN' GIMMICK! The DS was the last good one.
PS. Not to mention GC games have that quality and challenge which makes a game good, and the controller is amazing. Thank you for your time.

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

@CanisWolfred @Chriiis Hey, guys, I'm on your side, at least.
Drill Dozer needs more love. That game was awesome, and I never did own a copy. Having it as a 3DS eShop title would be positively perfect.
I don't quite get what the majority means by selecting "Maybe, I'd need to know more first," since it's a re-release. There's not much that you can't already learn about it. (Hint: it's good)

KiroX777

KiroX777 said:

What i would love is for Nintendo to take the Ouya/PSMobile Dev ect. and allow their consoles to have more freedom. The same reason the galaxy android phones are so popular is the ability to download apps made by the community, instead of restricted to 1st party only with few selected 3rd parties here and there. The 3ds and wiiu or rather the ULTRA Nintendo and Ultra NDS! ^.^ Should have an excellent app/game maker built in as one of the main functions of the machines. in 2014, unity should be a norm. IMHO.. Just saying.

baba_944

baba_944 said:

Come on guys, it's all about "Mario Is Missing 2" and "Mario Paint U". In all seriousness (except "Mario Paint U") I don't want a "Super Mario Galaxy 3" as the next 3D Mario game.I feel the games has run its course. Now we need a new 3D Mario game.

Nico07

Nico07 said:

@mystman12 Excite Truck would be a great addition to the Nintendo eShop, even if they simply re-released the original in full 1080p 60fps. I would pick it up. Needless to say there are many games I would prefer otherwise such as the "not going to happen" Earthbound U. But hopefully Nintendo has several unannounced projects for 3DS and Wii U coming to market soon that we will find out about soon.

GamecubeComplex

GamecubeComplex said:

I just don't like the fact that mostly all of these are eShop titles. I like having physical copies of my games.