Gallery: A Closer Look At 13 amiibo Toys

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Prepare your wallets

Nintendo's lining up multiple blockbuster releases for the Holiday season, but the most important will likely be its range of NFC toys — amiibo. Marketing these figures, successfully implementing them in games and securing plenty of shelf space with the biggest retailers represent three major challenges for Nintendo, though with the range likely to be a pivotal part of the Wii U's appeal we'd expect the company to pull out all of the stops — they'll come to 3DS in 2015, too.

One aspect of the figures already seems to have been nailed down with success, and that's the visual appeal that they have. There are members of the Nintendo Life team that have never played Skylanders or Disney Infinity yet are keen to buy a variety of toys for little reason other than nostalgia, but also because they look cool. They'll be plastic and cost $10-$15, probably, but they certainly look like high quality molds; the demonstration figurines that have been doing the rounds are undoubtedly eye-catching.

Nintendo has an ambitious plan to release an amiibo toy for every member of the Super Smash Bros. cast, which means there'll be well over 30 available at launch. Branded with the Smash logo, their potential use in games such as Mario Kart 8 and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker should also be interesting to see. Overall, it's an intriguing prospect and a product that could be hugely important for Nintendo's business in this Holiday season and beyond.

The E3 range of toys was on display recently at HYPER JAPAN in London, and was one of the nicest setups we've seen yet. Though they've featured elsewhere — including a post-E3 press event at London — the well-lit and spacious display at Earls Court was perfect for showing them off. We took the opportunity to grab some close-up snaps of each figurine, and they're too good to not share.

Check them out below, and at the end is a neat video feature from E3 produced by our colleagues at FamilyGamer TV, which goes into some more detail.

So, which ones do you want the most?

King47

King47 said:

I don't like the way marth looks, I hope it looks better by the time it officially gets out
Ike better look good.

AlexOlneyStaff

AlexOlney said:

Now these are the sort of figures I'd be interested in buying - they all look utterly gorgeous, particularly the Fox and Samus ones.

MAB

MAB said:

My wallet prefers food, alcohol, games & bills thanks ;)

HylianSane

HylianSane said:

Link, Zelda, and Samus are the only ones I'm interested in at the moment.. Considering I likely will not use the feature in Smash, these will be more or less collectibles.

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

Dear lords of good fortune, save my poor wallet.

I'm not lying...I actually want 2 of each. 1 to keep mint and 1 to use as I please.

Volmun

Volmun said:

@King47 ik what you meen he looks alot toonyer i asume its just as its a erly bild — I mostly want Samus (both Zero and Normal) Kirby Dedede Fox Megaman Sonic and Pack-Man lol allot of my Childhood heros il also probably get Luigi just because he is awsome 8P oh and Wario if he is in.

outburst

outburst said:

I will get The 4 pillars of Nintendo:
Mario, DK, Samus and Link. (Sorry Pokemon)

The Adorables: Luigi, Toon Link, DiddyK and Yoshi

The Girls: Peach, Zelda, ZSSamus and Wii Fit Trainer

The 3rd parties: Sonic, Megaman, Pacman and ... Rayman? :p

The Badasses: Fox, Captain Falcon, Little Mac and Bowser :D

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

I'll get them all but keep them boxed! I'll get a second Link to use him. Might get a second Mario too but that's yet to be seen. But first of all I'll get a loan :(

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@HylianSane Lol, Those are the only ones I want as well. Good taste.

I just want to know the exact pricing and if I really need these. In other words are they really going to make that big of a difference in a non dedicated game for them.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

I want Mario, Link, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Pikachu and Kirby. They will definitely get used in my house since I have three kids. Probably keep the Link and Zelda ones mint though since my kids aren't big fans of those guys.

Link506

Link506 said:

I'll take a link, Mario, yoshi and maybe a samus.

@Rye_Niiyama I was thinking the exact same thing. I'm probably lying to myself, saying that I will get just the 4 listed above. I mean, I've already have like 30 skylanders, if you include my dad 's and sister's.

GloverMist

GloverMist said:

I really want to get all of them as soon as possible, even if I don't have a Wii U yet (so I'd have no use for them) and I don't have enough money! Honestly, these look awesome!

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Of the ones revealed so far: I'd want Mario, Donkey Kong, Pit, Kirby, Peach, and Yoshi. Eventually I'll want Diddy Kong, King Dedede, Bowser, Wario, and maybe Little Mac when they get revealed. I'll be tempted to get as many as I can afford, though, as they all look good.

There's something wrong with the Kirby figure's eye, though.

maneauleau

maneauleau said:

I can see kids breaking the fragile figurines the ones with the extra stand pretty quickly

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Somebody must pay for scratching Kirby's eye.

I love the Samus model. The pose is surprising and looks great. My kids love the Nintendo characters so there are only a couple I can see skipping (trainer, marth, villager).

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I've read that these figures also have a distinct touch to them as well. Kirby feels soft while Samus has a slick frame. Kirby also feels surprisingly weighty.

maxcriden

maxcriden said:

@ThomasBW84, can I ask for where you'd heard they will be probably less than $10 apiece? I thought I had read somewhere they looked to be $15+ each? Thanks!

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

I recall Reggie saying they'd be in the same ballpark as Skylanders figures, aren't they around the $8-10 mark? Or maybe I've got my exchange rates mess ed up.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I'm still very interested in how they will do the Mii amiibo. Nintendo actually made a prototype amiibo of Miyamoto's Mii to experiment with the concept.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

Forgot about Fox and Pit. I want them too. Oh my wallet is going to be hurting since there's a bunch of games I want too.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Also, this article says all 30 figures will be available from launch, but I'm pretty sure Nintendo stated there would only be a select few at Smash Bros. Wii U's release.

OneeUpp

OneeUpp said:

This is a must have. I'm. Ready. My. Wallet. Is. Ready!! I'm wondering what characters will come in the future. :)

Ralek85

Ralek85 said:

I'm sure this will be huge for Nintendo, but personally, I don't see any visual appeal here. Maybe I'm spoiled by many years of great (albeit a lot more expensive) merchandise, but these look really cheap. Fox looks alright, probably my 'favourite' out of the bunch, Marth on the other hand looks horribly, nothing I would wanna have out for presentation.
Depending on their final price and actual functionality, it's probably going to be ok. I won't buy any of those (so far shown) for aesthetic purposes though, seems a waste of space and money to me. Maybe someday, there will be some kind of premium line ... Nintendo should do a cooperation with Sideshow, now that would be something :-D

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

I've still got problems to figure how a lot of these will work with other games.
Link DLC sounds strange for a Zelda game. So does Samus DLC for a Metroid game. :|

Frank90

Frank90 said:

I'll buy everyone! Fist Samus, ZSSamus, Fox and anything related to Fire Emblem.

Hero-of-WiiU

Hero-of-WiiU said:

These really only come off as collectibles. If its only for CPU then I won't be using the feuture much. I'll take Link and Samus out of all of them.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Kirby, Donkey Kong and Link will all have a guaranteed place in my first batch of amiibo.

If they eventually release Ness or Lucas, I'm gonna lose it.

Dogpigfish

Dogpigfish said:

It's a great idea, but I won't buy one until it does something in a game. The smash bros idea doesn't justify a purchase. I want to see some true integration before jumping on the band wagon. Hopefully we'll know more soon, but my bet is the true playable integration will be announced at next year's E3.

KeithTheGeek

KeithTheGeek said:

@CaviarMeths I think the lighting when they showcased them at E3 was significantly better, and some toys don't look particularly great when viewed up close. Poor Kirby, for example, had some of his eye scratched off.

I'm not really planning on using amiibo much if at all, but I'd like to pick one or two of them up in the future. Unfortunately, the couple I'm interested in (King Dedede and Charizard) don't seem to be in this first wave of figures.

I think it would be cool if they offered special variant figures on club nintendo in the future. They wouldn't function differently or anything like that, just have an alternate mold. Like a Dr. Mario amiibo, or maybe a Masked King Dedede figure.

eaglebob345

eaglebob345 said:

If these come out for Pokemon (just events and a few others, I don't think they will have 700+, unless they sell them on their online store :) ) I would love for them to supplement mystery gifts with the figurines for X, Y, and beyond.

As for the ones pictured, Link, Samus, Pit, and Zelda and are the ones I want. I would like Pokemon ones, but not Pikachu. Maybe the starters and legendaries?

dkxcalibur

dkxcalibur said:

The Fox McCloud figure looks great; the Marth, not so much. I actually think they all look good except for Marth.

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

Marth, then Lucina, Robin and Ike when they come out. I do see the quality of the Marth one isn't as great but hoping Ike is the best quality.

Sportsfan1712

Sportsfan1712 said:

I will get Captain Falcon and Fox, along with all the third party ones first. I think third party will go up in price sooner than any other amiibo.

millarrp

millarrp said:

I will probably get Mario and Link right off the start, but will probably end up getting more in the new year

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

Samus looks soooo cool. i will probably get the villager, because he is just hillarious. or maybe i get non of these. depends on price and what i can do with them

rjejr

rjejr said:

@ThomasBW84 - The first game they were all $7.99. Then came the giants for $14.99. Then the $12.99 lightcore and $15.99 swappables. Since these seem rather static, and the stands are BORE-ing, I think $9.99 is appropriate and the most they could charge. Though it is hard to judge the height via photos but they look small.

The only one I really want is Captain Toad. The guy is ready made for a toy and they work w/ his game. Where's Captain Toad?

fortius54

fortius54 said:

The figures are nice and all, but I am interested in game integration. It is easy to see how these will play out with Smash Brothers, but how is it going to play out in Mario Kart 8 or Toad. I think that will go a long way in determining how successful this will be.

meltendo

meltendo said:

I saw them last weekend at the San Diego Comic Con...I was very impressed by their sizes. I expected them to be smaller like the toys you get from bubble toy machines. I hope the final versions are close to the prototypes that they had on display.

Anguspuss

Anguspuss said:

seriously im shocked after having & getting rid of the cheapo pokemon rumble ones.(tech great figures naff)

these look amazing. I just hope they dont go down skylander path with 500 varients of one bloody charecter

Kamalisk

Kamalisk said:

I predict, stores selling out of them, except Wii Fit Trainer. There will be walls and walls of her left :P

Ayronom

Ayronom said:

I'm not intrested in these kinds of NFC things. And since they're 15 each, I think that's a bit high

Mr_Rawky

Mr_Rawky said:

I'm not interested in any of these. Plus I don't think they actually look that good a quality. Especially Mario's fireball. Just looks like a jelly sweet.

andrea987

andrea987 said:

Wow, that Fire Mario is looking good indeed. And I just can't help but smile looking at the Kirby one.

Shambo

Shambo said:

They mostly look top quality figurines in my opinion, so I guess I'm broke.

Yurikun

Yurikun said:

I am planning on getting Link, Zelda, Samus and Wii Fit Trainer to start with. Maybe Peach and Rosalina later on.

popty77

popty77 said:

I'll probably get mario,villager,yoshi,and link to start....then maybe kirby or donkey kong

BertoFlyingFox

BertoFlyingFox said:

Link, DK, Samus, and Fox for me. Those would go good with my other statues and the like. I would also grab Sheik and Ike amiibo if that ever happens.

MoonKnight7

MoonKnight7 said:

@rjejr

"Since these seem rather static, and the stands are BORE-ing..."

Do you mean the bases they are on? Cause I can understand that to a degree given that they're black, though the SSB gold emblem is a nice touch. But static? I dunno about that. You're right with some of them, ie Kirby, Pikachu and the Animal Crossing Villager, but plenty of the others have complex movements going on, like DK for example.

Dreamsleep

Dreamsleep said:

Yeah, of course the Fire Emblem one, which is my favorite game, doesn't look good. Oh well. Samus looks cool as all hell!

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

These are GORGEOUS! Do we actually have confirmation that these will be less than $10? Because I think that's actually unrealistic with how detailed these are.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

Hope that Marth isn't final. Out of this first batch I'm tempted by Pit the most although Fox's looks pretty fantastic it has to be said. I'd definitely be interested in Lucina's though.

Crimzonlogic

Crimzonlogic said:

I'll get two Pits; One to keep boxed and one to put on my bookshelf and maybe use if the features are interesting. Same goes for Palutena if her amiibo figure is as good as his.
I also want one of Samus.

Chouzetsu

Chouzetsu said:

Look at how detailed they are! Definitely getting at least one when I get a Wii U.

Incognito_D

Incognito_D said:

they definitely look cool, but I'm still not clear about their purpose in relation to games.

Lasermaster123

Lasermaster123 said:

I will take Ike, Robin, Isaac (when he is revealed - hopefully), Luigi and Samus. Can't afford all so just my favourites.

Pillowpants

Pillowpants said:

They all look great, except for Marth somehow, he seems a bit different. Or perhaps it's the picture quality?

I'll probably end up getting all of them, but the first ones I'll get are Samus, Yoshi and Link.

Benjelo

Benjelo said:

I was thinking of getting marth and kirby but marth's quality is pretty bad compared to the others and kirby has a crack in his eye lol ( I'm sure they will fix that eventually). I'm more concerned on what they will do for me in game. I don't want to buy them if they are just figurines.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

I'd really like a quality Marth figure... But that Marth is dang ugly lol. Probably none for me unless Nintendo steps it up in the quality department. You'll definitely miss my 5-10 dollars Nintendo!

Danny429

Danny429 said:

@AJWolfTill if that is what marths final will look like, then I wouldn't expect much from lucina. I agree with you tho that fox look great.

iphys

iphys said:

Pit looks awesome, Yoshi is so cute, and I'd love a Little Mac, but I honestly feel like these things are a waste of money, so I doubt I will buy any of them.

jjmesa16

jjmesa16 said:

$10 seems pretty good. Disney Infinity characters are $13 MSRP, although you can usually find them online or at Toys R' Us for around $7-10. I really like the craftsmanship on the the Disney Infinity characters. Each character is heavy/durable and each set of characters has there own unique base. So I hope the amiibo character have the same build quality. It certainly looks like they do.

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

Link, Samus, and Zelda. Of course, I'm most excited for Lucina, Rosalina, and Palutena, but they're coming later, I guess.

ryanator008

ryanator008 said:

I can just imagine all the adolescent boys buying Wii Fit Trainer because they think she's hot.

justinluey

justinluey said:

Where did the $10 price come from? I wouldn't expect them to be less than $15.00 USD.

I'll probably end up buying them all. I'll wait for a sale or clearance for Marth and the Wii Fit Trainer, but the rest will be instabuys.

Diddy_kong

Diddy_kong said:

I admit that I am not too excited about these things, however, my girlfriend is going to absolutely love them, so I know what I'm getting her for Christmas :)

Kirk

Kirk said:

I really like the look of these in general other than the transparent plastic pole required to hold some of them in their more dramatic poses.

Jayvir

Jayvir said:

They all look amazing. The collector in me just wants to build a shelf and display them. I don't even care about their in-game functionality

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

As a figure collector that has high quality anime figures I have to say the quality of these is below average. Kind of expected, as they are being sold as a NFC device and not for the figure itself.

erv

erv said:

Samus and link, just to see what the future holds for their next installments.

Maybe one for mario kart just to be cross compatible early:)

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

@justinluey The word going around the internet is Iwata or Reggie (Dunno, I didn't hear it myself) is that they'll be in the price range of Skylanders figures.

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

All very lovely but i don't like the poses that require support beams (like Link's).

Luna-Harmony

Luna-Harmony said:

These looks great i hope we can pre-order soon. Don't buy from shopto as they don't ship your games and keep the money time after time.
I hope game or amazon get them in soon for pre-order's.

Yosher

Yosher said:

I am DEFINITELY gonna get the Yoshi one, and I'll even get a spare one to keep in mint condition (because why not?). Aside from that, I do want to try and get them all, but if I won't be able to do that I'll at least collect all the Mario related ones, then I'll go for the Zelda ones, then all the Pokémon ones, and perhaps the Kirby ones, probably stopping at that point.

Fandabidozi

Fandabidozi said:

I'm gonna stick to anything Animal Crossing related I hope.
That Pit one is gorgeous tho....argh. Must. Resist.
@Benjelo
Benjelo, I want an amiibo of your avatar :)

Sugar_Crunch_BD

Sugar_Crunch_BD said:

I saw these at hyper japan and boy are they detailed :D

Not going to buy any though, at least not smash. The utility of them just doesn't interest me, kinda like the street pass for streetfighter 4

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

I've already preordered a DK one...arcade Donkey Kong was the first Nintendo game I ever played and represents everything I love about gaming. The others? Pretty sure I'll pick up most/all of them at some point. :p

SavoirFaire

SavoirFaire said:

I will likely pick up a great deal of these, but I am worried that we haven't heard more of their interactions. Seems like sky landers and infinity have a game to play their figures in. Amiibos are just ancillary to other games. Most kids are going to get a Kirby figure and, from what we know now, likely be a bit disappointed in what it does.

Hopefully we get a direct and some kind of sandbox game when the big amiibo launch occurs. I am still holding out hope for sports titles starring amiibos.

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

That zelda is one mine and greninja,little mac and Ike.If i have money left to buy these amiibos.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@MoonKnight7 - "static"

By static I meant they are just statues. For SkKylanders price comparison purposes they have several that light up when you put them on the portal - the effect is pretty cool in a couple - and of course the swappable ones the top half comes off and you can switch them around so 8 characters can become 64 w/ each having it's own on screen name. These just are.

The Skylander element and game specific bases are also better looking :-)

VolcanoFlamesNL

VolcanoFlamesNL said:

Look great. Except that Marth one. Looks so..... 'undetailed'.
Why does my fav character have a smudge in his left eye?

AlbertoC

AlbertoC said:

I want a Zelda one. Perhaps a Yoshi and a Palutena, too. Not because they're used for Smash, but because they're amazingly well done and might look nice just in display on any desk (well, obviously I don't know about their durability, but they do look pretty detailed in these preview pictures).

Remisio

Remisio said:

All of them shall be mine!!! Marth looks kind of weird though... And that scratch in Kirby's Eye stands out to me... It means I'll have to take care not to let people touch and scratch them around the house... Or just keep them in the package but then they can't be used... But then they remain in good condition...

I could buy two of each... It'll only be around 700-800+$ total!

xerneas

xerneas said:

Why des Marth look kinda bad? D: Then again Samus and Fox are hella cool. I want Robin!!!

Specters

Specters said:

definitely getting kirby, link, and mario. need me some luigi though! where is the weeg?

smikey

smikey said:

I'm definitely buying them all (& every amiibo ever (released)
of the ones shown above I'd get yoshi first, of all the smash cast I want pac man most.
but regardless of how many release in the first batch I expect to be buying at least 1 of each as one big bulk order. (as soon as I decide where to order them from. ( definitely won't be game uk)

Drawdler

Drawdler said:

Is it just me, or does Wii Fit Trainer look kind of crosseyed?

Out of these 13, I just particularly want Pit. Fox also looks especially cool here, but I don't care about Fox himself enough to actually get his amiibo.
I really want the Palutena, Robin and Greninja amiibo as well. 'Cause I really like those characters. (Well, not Robin so much because I don't particularly care for FE, but I'm reeeaaaallllllllllyy excited to use Robin in Smash. :)) I'm considering getting/would like others, but Robin, Greninja, Pit and Palutena are the only definite buys for me.

thehoppypoppy

thehoppypoppy said:

Meh, I'll pass. Since I don't play with friends at home much, I don't see this enhancing my gameplay experience. I'm happy for the people who are excited though.

Plus I have to eat, pay bills, etc...

Inkling

Inkling said:

Saw them at Hyper Japan, and I've got to say they look brilliant. Much better in person. I gotta catch 'em all.

Amateur

Amateur said:

We better get Robin soon, and hope that the eyes doesn't bothers me like Marth.

JAG1981

JAG1981 said:

For anyone who is a collector (like me) and wants one to use and one to keep mint in package keep in mind theses use similar technology that Infinity and Skylanders use. In both cases the chip in the character is detectable thru the packaging so you should be able to use them without opening them. Also there will more than likely be a way to reset the character to 0 if you ever wanted to. Hope this thru package reading works on these, then I only need one set of them

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

They always screw up the eye paint on these figurines! Just look at Kirby. The other month I saw a bowser toy with only one eye painted on. They need pay their Chinese manufacturers more fairly.

ChuJelly

ChuJelly said:

Love how they look! I'll definitely be tempted to get a bunch of them, and the way some of these figures look I'll probably be tempted to buy more than just my Smash character regulars. I'm honestly more excited to have a budget way to get all these cool Nintendo characters and franchises in figure form and in my room than I am for amiibo itself, probably! But who knows, the feature may be even cooler than I realize. :D
Hope we'll get to see the other characters in the coming weeks! It'd be nice to see how the figures are treating the newcomers and the other characters. :)

Nico07

Nico07 said:

@thehoppypoppy You don't have to play with friends as you can compete against them alone, perhaps even use them online even. I'm still waiting to see which ones are used and how they will enhance Mario Kart 8. Still I will plan on picking up a dozen or so of them.

Nico07

Nico07 said:

@ChuJelly That was my first thought as well. Sure a few like Marth don't look as refined as they could perhaps look. But, compared to the detail of ahm.. Skylanders, these figures look amazing. Granted these are probably some of the best of those available, even though the Kirby shown has a smeared eye. Still they all look pretty amazing.

DBPirate

DBPirate said:

I know I definitely won't be getting all (potentially 50) of them but these look pretty cool. I'll probably get Villager and some other newcomers.

RaphaBoss

RaphaBoss said:

I'd want the sword users, Link and Marth. But Samus looks awesome with that metallic paint on her suit.

SylveonLover

SylveonLover said:

Can't wait to see the Lucina and Robin amiibo. I just hope they don't look as cheap as Marth does.

Monsti

Monsti said:

Zelda, Samus and Fox look amazing. Pit, too. Since I have all kinds of smaller Zelda stuff I'll probably opt for Fox since it's sooooo much harder to get something from that franchise.

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

From that list I'd choose: Mario, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Pikachu, Kirby, Fox and Villager; the reason being that I'd only like one character from each franchise in amiibo form, and I've already ear-marked Toon Link as my representative for The Legend of Zelda. I did want Marth, but since Lucina and Robin were revealed I may change my mind. :)

JannieW

JannieW said:

I'll take of course Link, Zelda, Yoshi, Donkey Kong and Fox Mcloud. It would be wonderful if Zelda and Link will be used in the brand new Zelda U. There are endless ways to use them in the game.

Pixel-Perfect

Pixel-Perfect said:

Marth's really does look bad, doesn't it? I think my first one will be Peach! Anyways, I'm really excited for these figures, the fact that they interact with games is just a bonus.

Iggly

Iggly said:

It's kind of hard to choose what I'd want. But if they'll include alternate costumes, then sign me up with the female villager. :P

nostalgianinja

nostalgianinja said:

@KeithTheGeek I'd also like them to be sub-licenced to others so that the technology brings back third-parties. I'd love to see Sega branch out on this quite a bit (Hey, even with Sonic already as an Amiibo, the possibility is there for other IP figurines to come around.) Heck, there's unlimited possibilities with this coming up in the near future.

Seeing as they'd sell for around R200 I'm quite interested, mind you, it's quite a good investment for an avid gamer who would be using it cross-platform.

TrezzMVM

TrezzMVM said:

I'd do what ever game characters ive started collecting of their games, which at this point would defiantly be mostly mario, idk if i'd get the other mario chacters, but i do plan toget all of pit icrass games and fox's, so maybe them eventually!!!

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

If I could sell a kidney, I'd be glad to use the revenue for this.

What I meant is I want each and every one of these babies.

MoonKnight7

MoonKnight7 said:

@rjejr

Haha, hello there friend.

I totally see what you're getting at. Those stands definitely look more artistic since it applies to the characters. I guess Nintendo was going for uniformity. Not saying it's the better option, I'm just saying that must have been the thought behind it.