Mercedes DLC Confirmed for Mario Kart 8 in the West

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

High-end wheels

In late May we brought you the surprise news that free Mercedes-themed DLC is coming to Mario Kart 8 in Japan, the latest title to follow that path through a licensing agreement — we saw Nintendo do this with the Callaway brand in Mario Golf: World Tour. At the time Nintendo wouldn't comment on a potential Western arrival, yet it's now confirmed that it's coming.

In posts on Facebook and Twitter from Nintendo of America and Europe, the company has announced that the "GLA-class kart" — based on the Mercedes Benz GLA-class SUV — will arrive as DLC "this summer", while using the same images (above and below) as were shown off for the Japanese announcement. It's not explicitly stated that it'll be free content, as it is in Japan, though we'd be a little surprised if it arrives with a price tag.

As add-on content it is unlikely to harm anyone that doesn't approve, and shows Nintendo trying to maximise profits through licensing agreements. Purists, of course, may be unhappy at the prospect of Mario rocking a Mercedes kart in Mario Kart 8.

Now that it's confirmed for the West, what do you think? Would you like to see more — probably free — licensed karts like this, or more expansive paid-DLC that adds to the modes and core game content? Let us know.

audiobrainiac

audiobrainiac said:

Why not an Italian Ferrari, instead of a German Benz??? Makes no sense. Ferrari red would suit Mario well :)

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

The day this arrives will be the day I no longer own Mario Kart 8. (Get a download code for Tropical Freeze instead). Leaving me with only Lost World left as a hard copy (Which I will also get rid of as soon as I can keeping the DLC presuming it works like I think it does).

Mega719

Mega719 said:

I actually been looking forward to this. Strange how the west gets it much later than Japan it should arrive on the same day

Kilroy

Kilroy said:

Mario Kart has been about fantasy racing. Seeing a real-life advertisement in the form of a boring-looking vehicle is kind of disgusting.

Sparx

Sparx said:

I want a gif of luigi death stare in that car....get on it internet!

Kilroy

Kilroy said:

I wouldn't have a problem with this at all if Mercedes designed it to look like it actually BELONGS in the MK universe. As it is, it looks tacky and uninteresting.

noctowl

noctowl said:

@unrandomsam we both know that's a lie.

@Mega719 I wish I knew why people were against it. It's like they are just grumps.
"Free? Optional? This is an outrage!"

Awesome, was hoping we would get it.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Mega719 I don't like advertising. (Or Mario Kart 8 which makes the decision easier but I am lazy by nature so without this I probably just wouldn't have bothered).
Please just leave it at that — the preamble was unnecessary. Thanks! — TBD

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

We'll see what happens, there are so many variables of which we will find out before the summer is over, THEN I will be able to judge this

SavoirFaire

SavoirFaire said:

@Kilroy that is how I feel (your second post). If they "cartooned" it up a bit, I wouldn't care. It sticks out like a sore thumb otherwise, and clashes with the asthetics of the game. However I am not going to picket NOA over it, I just won't use it.

outburst

outburst said:

While I don't care if it will be playable online, I still hope it won't be for the sake of those who don't want seeing it online publicly. I can understand the purists not wanting it on a Mario Kart game.

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

KodyDawg

KodyDawg said:

I still think it's a bit weird-looking in a Mario game, but I'll probably end up getting it nonetheless. Let's hope it's free.

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

Yay! I don't care what it is, any added content to this gem of a game is welcome to me! ...and as much as I like Mario's world to be separate from the real world, I'm really not going to let this bother me. I mean, it's like one time DLC...I don't think it's really that bad.

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

People get upset about this? It doesn't look that different to some of the other karts in the game.

NavySpheal

NavySpheal said:

Sounds great, Luigi would be ridin' dirty in that.

Sucks to be you, @unrandomsam. I knew some Nintendo fans were against DLC, but you sell your game for free DLC you don't even have to download? That's overboard, even if it looks "too realistic".

World

World said:

Well, I don't know about it looking realistic. I think it looks adorable!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@noctowl Its no lie.

@NavySpheal Its actually better for me in the case because I don't even like Mario Kart 8 but whereas before it would just sit in a drawer now it will be sold and I will get something I do want with the money. (Which usually I am far too lazy to do).

dinosauryoshi

dinosauryoshi said:

I'll get it but can't see myself using it often. Still I don't mind Nintendo doing this now and again as long as it doesn't take over, and I doubt it will. What we really need though is more characters and a few arenas please. Go on Ninty, you know you want to.

Zyph

Zyph said:

I don't understand this people in the comments.
Even though this kart (car?) doesn't really suit Mario Kart does not mean it doesn't "suit" the game. Your reasoning is because there are already real car simulator games out there and it doesn't fit in the game.You can still get the quirkiness and craziness of Mario Kart just as the other karts available in the game. When was the last time you saw a Mercedes being hit by turtle shells? It's also FREE so why the hate?

shigulicious

shigulicious said:

I'm looking forward to smashing that Benz off Rainbow Road on my Yoshi bike. Now give us a few more tracks please.

DreamyViridi

DreamyViridi said:

Don't understand the hate for this. It's OK to not like it by all means; but it's free, it's optional and it doesn't even look that bad. Anyway, bring on the Mario Kart DLC.

Cresartist

Cresartist said:

Unfortunately, you guys seem to be a bit late to these news, by about a month or two. I wish this article could be an update to the news, such as an actual date...

However, I'm so hyped for this DLC. Now excuse me as I fantasize Luigi giving off the Death Stare as he drives in the Mercedes blasting dubstep with the bass at the highest level.

Yosher

Yosher said:

Fun as this DLC may be, what about other DLC? Characters, tracks, extra modes? Options/stats menu? C'mon, guys. I'll keep using the Yoshi Bike anyway, and occasionally the Pipe Frame, Mach 8 or Sports Coupe when I feel like driving a kart. I'll get the DLC and play a round with it, but after that I probably won't touch this thing again. This might get me to get a Benz though! ...eventually, once they're cheap enough. And if they're no gas guzzlers.

bouncer0304

bouncer0304 said:

It may look a little odd but as long as they a) don't charge for it and b) doesn't have stats which makes it stupidly overpowered then i don't mind it. It's harmless fun and optional so if you don't want it, don't download it- simple!

Emaan

Emaan said:

To the people like "I won't play this game anymore when this comes out!" Bye. Don't let free DLC that doesn't affect you in the slightest hit you on your way out.:*

Cresartist

Cresartist said:

@AVahne @GrumbleVolcano Several other websites said it. I do not exactly remember where I heard it from, though.

@Emaan Nintendo already has your money anyway! :p

@Yosher Unless you have a car nut in your family who enjoys playing Mario Kart 8.
Me? I have several.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I have no issue with this, as long as it can't be used online so I don't ever have to see that in my game. Looks so out of place. Never thought we'd see advertising show up in Mario Kart of all games.

Cresartist

Cresartist said:

Why is everyone complaining about one tiny optional product placement? At least it's not as horribly in-your-face as
Untitled
(Yes, this actually exists.)

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

Why do people have a problem with this when we have karts like this in the game already......
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
I'm fine with this I might even use it occasionally there is no rule against these types of cars being in Mario Kart.

Shambo

Shambo said:

@sketchturner No use trying to understand what makes no sense whatsoever. Even if someone really doesn't like it, no one forces them to actually use it in the game... And I want to put those wheels under all of my 'karts'!

Mega_Umbreon

Mega_Umbreon said:

@Jazzer94 My thoughts exactly. The Mercedes actually looks like the sleekest kart/car in the game, which I like, and looks better than the Coupe. Though a bright red coat of paint would have made it even better.

DoomTurtle

DoomTurtle said:

I wonder how this kart will work on the selection screen. Can it have other tires put on, or is it stuck with these? And can these tires be used with other karts? And lastly, will this also include it's own glider?

Yosher

Yosher said:

@Cresartist As a matter of fact, I do have a family member who's really really into cars, and really enjoys Mario Kart 8 as well (despite never being that big a Mario Kart fan before, he even bought a Wii U just for this game). I don't see how that's relevant to what I said, though. :P

Cresartist

Cresartist said:

@DoomTurtle This is most likely a set of parts that are meant to be together, but you can do what you want with.

Can't wait to put Monster Truck tires on a Mercedes.

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

I'll get it, it does look wierd but I like the quirky look of it somehow!
My view on this is that if Nintendo are looking for more revenue, let Mercedes pump in the cash, NOT customers. There are far worse ways to squeeze cash out of a game than sponsorship of free karts. If this was paid I'd have a problem but it's free, you don't HAVE to get it to if don't want. it won't effect the price you paid or you gaming experience.

jpfan1989

jpfan1989 said:

@Jazzer94 those are some sexy vehicles you have there!

Personally I am all for this dlc. Its not the kart that matters its the enjoyment you get from the game. Heck I will drive around in a tiny pink dinglehopper if it moves fast enough.

Oren

Oren said:

Looks alright to me. Like a poster said above, it will hardly look as realistic with monster truck or sponge tires on it. Sure it's product placement but it's entirely optional. You can't turn your head in modern society without something being advertised to you. Don't like it - Don't use it.

What's more important about this is that it proves Mk8 has the ability to add DLC... I'm not generally a fan of DLC but I can make an exception in this case. More characters please!

IcyWolfosKelsos

IcyWolfosKelsos said:

If it is a paid DLC for the Mercedes cars, I would have rather had it be new courses or characters instead, not really worth it.
But if it is free (highly doubtful, but I can have some wishful thinking) - I find that's pretty comical and will probably download it for giggles.

tux_peng

tux_peng said:

I hope they release some of the old battle tracks as DLC
and more retro courses

I dont really care about more characters

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

My only problem with this kind of thing would be if it was paid DLC and it gave an advantage to people.

It would be a bit rubbish if the only DLC we ever got for free was this. I hope we get some real world track DLC. Mario Kart in the Nurburgring or Brands Hatch would be sweet!

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@Cresartist: Maybe if you did your research, you'd know that Pepsi Invaders wasn't even a commercial product but rather a gift to a select few Coke employees. Here, read up on it.

As for this DLC...it doesn't bother me, and at least it shows they're coded to accept DLC at all. Step in the right direction, IMO.

Oren

Oren said:

@SanderEvers Don't get me wrong. There are plenty of characters. I should have been more specific - More characters that I want please! (Diddy Kong, E.Gadd)

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Never thought I'd see the day where people would complain about free DLC. lol

Cresartist

Cresartist said:

@Stuffgamer1 Oh. ._.

There still are games released to the public only for the purpose of product placement. Games based on McDonalds such as McKids, for starters.

Sparx

Sparx said:

@Oren Spooky DLC this october, get the good doc, as well as King Boo(forget if he was in the game or not), Dry Bones versions of characters, and tracks based on Luigi's Mansion and other spooky areas/levels! Nintendo get on that!

Swiket

Swiket said:

Reminds me of the Team Fortress 2 hats. People keep saying "You can just ignore them!" but it doesn't change the fact that it clashes horribly with the art style.

Untitled

Galenmereth

Galenmereth said:

I don't like non-Nintendo product placement in my Nintendo games, TYVM. I really really hope I don't see this online if I don't download it; it ruins the feel of the game, simply put. I don't care if other people enjoy it, but I'll actually get annoyed if it's forced on me. I hope those who like this can respect that.

kuribo4

kuribo4 said:

@Mega719 They think it doesn't fit in the game, when there are already tons of things that don't fit. In other words...this fits.

Oren

Oren said:

@Sparx Themed DLC like that is actually a pretty cool idea. Even if it's only one extra character and a track. It would be a good excuse to further market the game once those times of the year hit too.

Nintendo should just hire me for their marketing...

kuribo4

kuribo4 said:

Am I the only one that thinks that this is funny but that a character like Waluigi should not be in the same game as Rosalina?

kuribo4

kuribo4 said:

@sinalefa I tried to complete a coup with him but I couldn't. xD
Thank God Miyamoto cancelled the Wapeach they were going to make for Mario Tennis.
Waluigi isn't cute/funny or anything. Just ugly.

ToneDeath

ToneDeath said:

Also included with the Mercedes DLC pack: Geoff Keighley's Mii and two brand new courses; Dew Dew Mountain and Doritos Canyon.

KromCompany

KromCompany said:

It looks so out of place, but that is kind of the novelty of it.
I don't really agree with the real car in Mario Kart, but at the same time I think it is cool. I might just use the tires from it, but you could catch me driving the whole thing once in a while.

My NNId is KromCo

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

I like this, but I'll like it even better if it's free. And I'll take any MK8 DLC as long as it adds more to Battle mode, maybe finally give us arenas...

8BitSamurai

8BitSamurai said:

It's not as bad as Danica Patrick in Sonic Racing, but wow, that looks so out of place and clashes with the style terribly.

Mqblank

Mqblank said:

@MrGawain German cars are safer, more comfortable and have more boot space for shells and banana peels.

Best comment on page.

LordFamicom

LordFamicom said:

Why is everyone complaining? Sure it's out of place in a Mario Kart game but it's free DLC. I'm completely happy with that.

Tsusasi

Tsusasi said:

This saddens me. The wonderful thing about playing Nintendo games is the incredible worlds they create. Even the advertising in the games is for fictional businesses in the Nintendo universe. To introduce this sort of in-game advertising/product placement takes Nintendo to a place I hoped they wouldn't go. No fun at all.

But worse still is knowing that this is just the beginning... that if this is successful, then Nintendo's games may suddenly be filled with ridiculous product placement and advertising. That they've held out this long is one of the reasons I respect Nintendo in this generation of consoles.

Mqblank

Mqblank said:

@unrandomsam So you've got a game you do not like and were going to keep it in a drawer but now that a free piece of dlc is coming out for it, you are going to sell it. Makes perfect sense.................

Mqblank

Mqblank said:

@Xiao_Pai "Never thought I'd see the day where people would complain about free DLC. lol"
Are you kidding, this is the internet. People would complain if they listed the lottery numbers but didn't get their winnings on a large novelty cheque!

Oren

Oren said:

@Mqblank I'd complain about that. Novelty cheques are awesome (also, English spelling of cheque for the win).

umegames

umegames said:

people can stop being mad about this, this "kart" will be used for a few weeks by people, but people will go back to using winning karts and bikes. i highly doubt the stats will be good on this car

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

It weird how Wario's car is a Cadillac Eldorado and everyone (the haters that is) don't bat a eye yet they complain about this. I guess Nintendo need to change the name and remove the logo to fit the universe.

Any who, I'm just happy we are getting free dlc that remains the same as the eastern counterpart.

Edit: found a image of a Cadillac Eldorado FYI
Untitled

ikki5

ikki5 said:

@unrandomsam Then you might as well hide yourself in a hole and never come out because there is advertising everywhere. Don't watch TV, don't listen to the radio, Don't go out and drive your car, Don't go grocery shopping. There is advertising everywhere and saying you don't want to play a game because of an optional DLC that is free is just sad.

taffy

taffy said:

I want to play Mario Kart as The Stig..... Some say that he is immune to blue shells!

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

@Swiket You wouldn't be saying any of this if the Mercedes logo wasn't there and if it had been in the game from the get go.

Mqblank

Mqblank said:

@Daisaku36 I would sell mine but I'm waiting for that one special game I really hate so I can complain about it on here and threaten (to no one in particular) to sell it.

Honestly though, who here would complain if it was announced that we WEREN'T getting this dlc. I imagine a lot of the people that are complaing we are getting it...

Tsusasi

Tsusasi said:

I can't speak for anyone else, but it's not so much about the dlc and as it is what it represents and what may come. I don't want it, so I won't down load it. That's fine. But if they see success in this, this sort of thing may become more common place, more involuntary (and update to a game that also includes new ads for real world product in - let's say - Mario Kart. The update patches something, but ads McDonalds logos on everything), and more high-profile (and entire first-party game baring some ridiculous brand-extension or branding). That's what I'm annoyed about.

Kogorn733

Kogorn733 said:

I don't really see this as much different from when certain game designers/publishers have included content completely unrelated to the game, but perhaps relevant for the platform, in the game. That's basically "advertising/product placement" right there.

Some instances I can think of at the top of my head

Mario/Zelda costumes in Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Samus/Peach/Zelda costumes in the upcoming Bayonetta 2

Kratos in Mortal Kombat 9

Spawn in Soul Calibur 2

Zelda and Yoshi levels in Sonic Lost World

If people aren't really bothered by these, I don't see how including a product/feature related to something NOT part of the video game industry can get people so riled up. Would one's experience playing Fallout, for example, really be any different if the Nuka Cola bottle caps were actually Coca Cola bottle caps?

My personal feeling is that these things don't bother me as long as they're optional. I would feel differently, however, if some more relevant bundle required accepting product placement. I.e., I'd be pretty pissed if a DLC package containing 4 new characters all contained code that would change all the signage to McDonalds signs or something.

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

Sure yeah ok
Meanwhile the rest of us can say how we love the fact that Mario Kart is getting some loving and Nintendo are getting some publicity!
I'd be willing to buy DLC that enhanced the game, such as Bobomb Blast in battle and a new cup, new racers, new carts etc. As long as it kept everything fair and those who used such characters were not more enhanced than those who didn't then I'd definitely be up for it! Maybe even Super Luigi Kart? Similar to how Super Luigi Bros brought in practically a whole new game, so can Super Luigi Kart :) Just a shame it's not year of Luigi anymore...
...
... Super Peach Kart anyone?

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

It looks a bit weird and there's no way I'd pay for it, but I don't have a problem with it really. I do wish it would conform to the other vehicles and have the character badge on the bonnet at least, though!

KingofSaiyans

KingofSaiyans said:

I'm all for this DLC. I don't understand why people would complain about something that is OPTIONAL but oh well. Just waiting on the release date...

allav866

allav866 said:

I've always wanted to race around in a Mercedes-Benz, but they're so expensive, and I'd never be able to afford it. With this, I can finally realize my dream.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@ikki5 Billboards are about the limit of what I see (And there are basically none directly around where I live). There are no ad's on Netflix or Spotify Premium. Or BBC Radio. (Or BBC TV for that matter but I rarely watch it). If I buy something it is because I have actively looked for it and decided I want it. I buy food from local shops not chain stores. (More expensive but its not really that much more and at least the meat looks like meat). Europe seems to do well without it as well. (Its an eyesore as much as anything else).

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

Those who are complaining about this should definitely look at Guitar Hero World Tour and then they'll realise this is nothing.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@ScorpionMG - "it might even be December.."

Well it is in Australia. I think. Maybe.

Though I'm really more concerned w/ a SSB date, not only is it THE game for Wii U for the holidays (Captain Toad looks like a fun little casual app diversion, not a system seller) but they are also selling amiibo toys, a Gamecube adapter, and Gamecube branded Wii U controllers. That's an entire section in a retail store devoted to Wii U - and all that stuff will get shoved into a corner somewhere, if that, if SSB gets delayed until after Dec 24. Wii U can't afford that. It just can't.

Oren

Oren said:

@rjejr I'd be extremely surprised if we didn't get a concrete date of the start of December relatively soon. There is no way they will delay it. At this point a slightly imperfect SSB is better for Nintendo to release that sweet FA at Xmas. I'm confident it'll be 100% done. Looked pretty close at e3. If not, well.... I guess there's always the option to patch......

Swiket

Swiket said:

@Jazzer94 Yes I would lol. Even without the logo, it looks like they just photoshopped the car onto Mario. And whether or not it's DLC doesn't really change my opinion on it.

Wreck-It Ralph doesn't have anything to do with Sega, but it looked cartoony enough to fit the art style of that Sega racing game. Danica Patrick is a different story though...

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

I think it will be amusing to troll people online in this kart, judging from the reaction here. XD

@rjejr Correct, summer begins in December in Australia. Not that Nintendo would ever notice, just the other week we had a "summer sale" advertised on the Wii U eShop.

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

Hoooooly crud, the negativity here. "I'm not gonna play this game just because of this DLC!" Really? Pfft. As for me, I'm game!

ikki5

ikki5 said:

@unrandomsam Bah ha ha, I honestly don't believe half the stuff you said there. I doubt you just shop as small stores, even if you did, there is still advertising in those stores. Unless you yourself run the store, 99% of stores will have some kind of ads in them and if they don't, they will have them at some point. Yeah, netflix and that doesn't have ads, so yeah, I get you can claim that you don't watch TV ads because I am the same way. However over all, you claim that you don't do stuff that has ads well, I highly doubt that the BBC is the ONLY radio station you listen to as well as the fact that you use the internet which is chuck full of ads. Even this site has ads and yet you are here. So don't go give that crap about ads and how you refuse to do things that have ads.

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

Other cars I'd like to see, if only for the fact it would really annoy some people:
-any late 70s/early 80s AMC Eagle or Pacer, with rust.
-Limo from Cannonball Run w/chimp
-Adam West version Batmobile
-Austin "Danger" Powers Jaguar E-type Union Jack model
and
-The scooter from Dumb and Dumber
(seriously, lighten up if optional, free DLC of an actual car upsets you that much... maybe set the controller down for a bit and try a funny movie, like Spaceballs)

dereq

dereq said:

It seems kind of funny that a car so expensive would choose to advertise in a video game. The percentage of players that would want and/or afford a real Mercedes is prolly staggeringly low. That said, is there anything that the Negative Nancies on here won't complain about?

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

I don't get what the big deal is. The Mercedes will probably have zero base stats like the standard cart and standard wheels combo. Though if Nintendo gave it souped up stats, I would be POed. I believe we have found a new target for battle mode: anyone driving around in a Mercedes will get pummeled with items!

ToniK

ToniK said:

I also want Coca-cola and LG ads. If I can pay for them, even better!

jakysnakydx

jakysnakydx said:

The dumbest decision Nintendo could ever make with Mario Kart 8 is not including additional tracks as DLC. The game already has just as many courses as every other rendition of Mario Kart (excluding super circuit but those are far easier to make) so at this point, anyone against DLC can shove it right back down their throat. You got what you paid for now the rest of us who want more can get it. I'd be content with remakes of courses from previous titles. Banshee boardwalk!

Mqblank

Mqblank said:

I hate this blatant piece of free advertising dlc and hate Nintendo for allowing it. So, I'm off to turn on my ad-free Xbox dashboard and play Doritos Crash Course and buy some more levels. So there....

xerneas

xerneas said:

Oh come on guys, even though it's advertising kinda, it's definitely meant in a humorous way. It's not like MK8 target demo are people who buy cars yet anyway lol. You don't have to download it if you hate it. I think it's pretty funny and stylewise it's not too far from Wario's karts in some titles...

KryptoKrunch

KryptoKrunch said:

lol I love how upset some folks get over optional DLC. I'll be using this with Pink Gold Peach or Baby Daisy.

Pinkman

Pinkman said:

Everybody complained when Nintendo wasn't advertising, now they're cashing in on one of their biggest franchises with one of the biggest car manufacturers people are still complaining. The car looks perfect next to the already included sports coupe. Come on people its not like they took a mclaren straight out of forza5 and just plonked it in the game because that would have just been silly.

Pinkman

Pinkman said:

@andreoni79 Thats not a real car its animated, so unless your going to Toon town with Roger and Jessica the only way you could drive it is in mario kart 8. Seriously get over it people its product placement, right now its a good thing for nintendo while the wii u gathers ground. Its not like microsoft and sony who constantly give us unfinished games then throw day1 dlc at us along with adverts on every page of there home screen dashboard.

AltonLove

AltonLove said:

I think this is hilarious. Certainly not a reason to sell the game. I switch up karts regularly for variety, so I won't be using this often, if at all besides for novel appeal and humor.

akaDv8R

akaDv8R said:

@unrandomsam I really cannot understand people such as yourself. This is going to be FREE DLC. No body is holding a gun to your head, you either choose to download it or not. So, due to the fact that the first DLC for MK8 contains a Mercedes, you are going to stop playing, what is probably the best game on Wii U at the moment. your thinking/actions have no logic what-so-ever.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Laughs at all the sad people who are pissed about this

Tears start to flow through the laughter

Laughing turns to sobbing

I wish I had this game...or even a Wii U...

KeyMastar

KeyMastar said:

Oh hey, a boring looking car added solely for product placement. Ugh. I don't care if it is free, I don't like product placement shoved in my face.

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

@StarDust4Ever well, they already have flame trails and folding wheels so a delorean is a no brainer. What would a flux capacitor item do? Send the other racers back in time? :P

Memeboy3

Memeboy3 said:

@KeyMastar Boo Hoo....
I'm sorry, but.... Welcome to Nintendo
The very same company that has a CEO that fought against Iwata and sent a woman to another dimension before E3 2014, Complete with a robot replica!

justinluey

justinluey said:

Almost 200 comments, and no one has been able to articulate why they are against this.

This is free and totally optional; sounds like the perfect scenario for DLC.

Tsusasi

Tsusasi said:

@Pinkman Two completely different things. Marketing and evangelizing their system and pushing proper messaging so people understand the Wii U/Gamepad concept or even know what the Wii U is, is far and away different from throwing some unrelated, game world altering, and possibly gameplay altering (still don't know what the stats will look like for this 'kart') ridiculous dlc for a quick buck that has absolutely nothing to do with their franchise. That's not advertising, it's piss-poor brand extension invading a gaming world where Mercedes doesn't exist. What it represents is sad and obnoxious.

And it has nothing to do with Nintendo advertising the system or it's games. Putting Mario in a Mercedes is not going to sell systems, nor is it going to sell a Mercedes. I have no idea what they are thinking… (well, obviously Nintendo's thinking with it's short-term wallet).

yvanjean

yvanjean said:

Nintendo is just like Sony & Microsoft, They're a corporation that must please share holders. People on the comment thread should stop glorifying Nintendo and understand that they must run a business.