Wii U Virtual Console Launch Lineup Is Revealed

Posted by Damien McFerran

Eight titles available at launch

Nintendo has revealed via its Wii U Facebook account the launch lineup for the Wii U Virtual Console.

The initial batch of games will be:

The Virtual Console sizzle reel which was released recently — and is shown below — also features Wrecking Crew, Yoshi's Cookie and Super Metroid, so you can expect to see those titles on the service in the not-too-distant future. Super Metroid is already confirmed as part of the Famicom Virtual Console Trial campaign, and will be available for a discount price shortly.

After rumours that the classic gaming service could go live earlier this week, it seems that we'll have to wait a few more days. At least we now know which titles will be available.

Are you pleased with the selection of games, or were you hoping for more? Post a comment to let us know what you think.

Which Wii U Virtual Console launch title will you be downloading first? (476 votes)

Punch-Out!! (NES)

Balloon Fight (NES)

Kirby's Adventure (NES)

Donkey Kong Jr. (NES)

Ice Climber (NES)

Excitebike (NES)

Super Mario World (SNES)

61%

F-Zero (SNES)

I won't be downloading any of them

29%

Please login to vote in this poll.

[via facebook.com]

Vehemont

Vehemont said:

Cool, can't wait until they announce Donkey Country 1-3, so I can play them on the Gamepad!

Lin1876

Lin1876 said:

@Vehemont Don't count on it. They were removed from the Wii VC recently, presumably because of the Rare connection.

goldbricks23

goldbricks23 said:

I was expecting more than this- considering four of the games were already available with the past few months. But I'll be downloading Super Mario World hopefully.

HawkeyeWii

HawkeyeWii said:

So are we going to have to wait like 3-4+ years for the majority of the good games to get on there like when they originally released them on Wii?

Evergreen

Evergreen said:

What's the point of not just releasing all the games at once? Why force people to wait?? There should be a vast library of games to choose from RIGHT NOW.

Pikachupwnage

Pikachupwnage said:

This Is pretty bad....no N64 or GBA, half the games already were 30 cents and DKJR, and Ice climbers are pretty mediocre. Excitebike is hardly something to excited about(HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA).

Only super mario world is really anything that great here. But there isn't a single game that is new to VC here.

Crouteru

Crouteru said:

Not to sound cynical, but I really can't be bothered to wait for all these games to be released again. Is gamepad play really that special? Why not finish releasing some of the big titles not included on the old Virtual Console?

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

@Crouteru: I played Balloon Fight and Punch-Out!! on the gamepad last night, the screen is a perfect size for playing NES games, that's for sure. Creating restore points in these tough games will be a welcome addition for newcomers, too.

skjia

skjia said:

They said from the get go it was only gonna start with nes and snes, with gba and n64 coming later. Yeah it'd be nice to get more but I don't think people get that they're actually working on these games to make them run as closely to the original as possible, unlike any other emulator where you have to optimize it yourself.
Plus if they were putting all their resources into the vc then new Wii U games would take even longer to come out.
If this is the worse thing in your life, then you've got a pretty good life lol.

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

@Evergreen: It's funny, because one reason they don't release them all at once in order to keep the service "evergreen". ie it keeps people interested, meaning more money for them.

Second reason is that they simply can't create emulators for every single game in such a short amount of time (they don't use the same emulator for all NES games, as such)

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

I'm disappointed that Link to the Past and Donkey Kong Country aren't in there, but at least Super Mario World is. In reality, this is only 4 games anyway, since the other 4 are already available. Hopefully they add more quickly.

Kirbybrawl

Kirbybrawl said:

This list blows. They should have launched better games like mario world 2 or mario rpg.

Kirbic

Kirbic said:

I'm not getting NES, SNES(Maybe Earthbound, actually) or N64 games on the Wii U's virtual console. The Wii Mode already has the games from those I wanted and I don't care enough about Gamepad support for a VC title to pay for it.

Once Gamecube or Game Boy Advance games turn up, or more that skipped the Wii like Earthbound, then I'll give Nintendo money.

miiandmario

miiandmario said:

Really happy about this, honestly the only wii u is pretty lacking in the eshop and this will might change that. I will definitely get Super Mario World and Kirbys adventure (cause its 30 cents) day one

C7_

C7_ said:

Only four games that they haven't already released...?
I could forgive this if they were adding online support built into the overlay (Sega's had it figured out on the 360 for years now; Online leaderboards and multiplayer for Sonic 2), but they're just slapping ports they already own into the WiiU template they already possess. How is this even progress? I expected way more than this, and they aren't even going to release all the games in their advertisement!
No way I'm paying that much to be able to play on the Gamepad, which I still think is a feature that it should've come OUT with with Wii VC.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

I just can't believe they release the same games. The VC could be amazing but Nintendo screws it again.

Holy crap.

Hyperstar96

Hyperstar96 said:

cricket noises

... Wow. That's not even close to being good.

I love Super Mario World and all, but I already have three different versions of it.

ueI

ueI said:

Well they're all games we can already get on the wii vc, but at least they're something.

MEGAMAN_D

MEGAMAN_D said:

I REALLY, REALLY HOPE THAT AT SOME POINT IN THE NEAR FUTURE SEGA SATURN GAMES HIT VIRTUAL CONSOLE.

MAKE IT HAPPEN NINTY !

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

Oh yes, release all the good games at once so that no one will buy any later. Great logic! :O

hiptanaka

hiptanaka said:

Not very strong lineup, but SMW is awesome, of course. Hopefully they will roll out at a couple a week after this.

KAHN

KAHN said:

this launch list is pathetic. i can understand why new consoles have bad launch titles, but these systems already came out decades ago. they know which games sold the best, they know which ones are the best. some of those games were released during the Famicom campaign, so that should be the perfect opportunity to put other games on the list, but they're still releasing them. i dont even know why. here's what they SHOULD have done;

1.) make a new list; a BETTER one, one with better games than ice climber and one with games that weren't released during the famicom campaign.

2.) this list should contain at least some games that are NOT available on the WiiShop VC Service(including but not limited to games that hav been taken off WiiShop VC service). this way people won't be able to download them on WiiShop VC service and there is a guarantee people haven't bought it yet.

3.) now people who do have the famicom campaign games have a wider variety of games to choose from. the people who didn't buy the campaign games can wait until they're put up later eventually, just like the ambassador program. or you can just make them suck it up since they had the opportunity to buy it for 30 cents. your choice, Nintendo.

I hate you because I love you, Nintendo.

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

The optimist side of me says it'll only get better. But my first reaction was somebody beat that lineup with an Ugly Stick and kicked it a few times with some Ugly Boots.

Vehemont

Vehemont said:

(Whilst no one is looking) Quickly changes his answers to Sonic 1-3 & Knuckles though the Sega Genesis (Megadrive) has not been confirmed yet. (Then goes to cry in a corner for not realizing the DKC games have been taken of the Wii VC, but hopes for the future and that they may yet be re-released to see the light of day on the superior Wii U VC as he HATES to use the Wii Mode on the Wii U!)

dizzy_boy

dizzy_boy said:

I'm really struggling to see the potential in the WiiU VC. As far as I can see it, there isn't going to be much expansion on what is already on the Wii VC.
Nintendo really needs to get as much 3rd party support as possible, I don't think that there is much left with what games Nintendo can dish, out other than their snes fx chip games.

Megajack

Megajack said:

I agree with SkywardLink98.

I wanted them to just release all the Wii VC games... oh well.

Mizzah_Tee

Mizzah_Tee said:

@Evergreen
Because each game needs to be coded for off screen play as well as Miiverse features with each needing their own communities. Can you say system overload. Everyone would be back on here crying that Nintendo Network is down and/ or super slow. This stuff aint magic. It requires resources and man hours...

AbeVigoda

AbeVigoda said:

Even with a back catalogue going back 25+ years, Nintendo yet again drops a massive turd with the Wii-U VC launch. Simply atrocious.

gsnap

gsnap said:

Hmm. My reaction to this will depend on how it goes from this point on. If we get this same numbers of games, like, every two weeks, then I don't see any reason to complain. But if they go too slowly, then it will be a problem.

GamecubeMan

GamecubeMan said:

The lack of GCN VC is noticable. u,u
Im not saying its going to happen but still...... pretty disappointing.

Mizzah_Tee

Mizzah_Tee said:

I must say that with a jump off like this... Don't expect Gamecube games while Obama is still in office... LOL!

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

And this is why I think VC is so overrated. No one is ever pleased by it...

KAHN

KAHN said:

@LzQuacker
we can be pleased by it. put us behind the controller, we'll put good games on this list. Ole' Buddy @Gavin_Rozze was kind enough to give us the list of Wii VC to put things in perspective.

hcfwesker

hcfwesker said:

Who the heck was expecting GameCube VC games on day 1 lol. Seeing that all of these are part of the 30 cent promotion or 3DS ambassador program games besides Super Mario World, it's the one to get.

cheetahman91

cheetahman91 said:

Decent list, but I already have those games, and I have no interest in Gamepad play. Hopefully the games are released at a decent rate (at least one a week would be nice) and we see more than what's already on the Wii VC (Earthbound's a good start).

Gameday

Gameday said:

Same ole same ole , like i said put out something different for a change.. Love the games but its nothing that hasnt been out on Wii.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Most of these I already have on the Wii U via VC trial campaign or on 3DS via ambassador program or both as is the case with Balloon Fight. Only one I'd be remotely interested in is SMW, but I'm sure the lineup will get better.

KAHN

KAHN said:

i'll just end up buying off of the WiiShop VC. playing on the gamepad has no significance to me and the wii VC has these and more. nothing we haven't already seen there.

ledreppe

ledreppe said:

Already got Punch Out and F-Zero from the Famicom 30th Anniversary VC. The rest of the titles don't get me excited and I already have the Super Famicom cart for Super Mario World. Besides, I'll be too busy with LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins on 3DS for the next week or so.

Zach777

Zach777 said:

Announcements from Nintendo result in one of two responses:

1) Supreme pleasure because of the excellent system support and surprises. Ex: Nintendo Direct last week.

2) Utter displeasure because fans who support Nintendo feel like they just got epically pooped on. Ex: The Wii U and any announcement about it.

Maybe stick with portables, Nintendo?

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

WOW!! Of all the AAA games in their vast library, they launch with ONE!!! I knew they were gonna do this crap again!! Front load all the blah NES titles and spread out the SNES hits over several years. Oh Nintendo I love you but c'mon this is a pathetic launch lineup for this service that should have launched day one. Guys in basements can port ROMS with added features in just days. This just reeks of pure laziness.

Rensch

Rensch said:

So they are going to release all those games all over again? Come on, man. Just put up the whole thing from the old Wii and voila!

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

I hope they release at least 4 titles a week to be able to fill the Wii U VC with everything the Wii had and more.

Tertis

Tertis said:

Take some notes, people. If Nintendo isn't putting the effort into making the VC launch stellar, they're putting effort into more important things, like improving the OS, attracting new developers to the platform and launching new 1st party software.
tl;dr They have their priorities in order.

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

@LzQuacker Nobody is ever pleased because the rate at which they release games is just abysmal. It took years for some of their best titles to come out on Wii's VC, now they want people to wait just as long again to have them on Wii U with the exra functionality tagged on?? That's just insane and insulting to your fan base.

Mr_G

Mr_G said:

Wow even the launch of the Wii U virtual console is lame!
Will it be a year before we see anything good?

evildevil97

evildevil97 said:

I voted for Balloon Fight because that was the first VC game I downloaded, when it was available for 30 cents.

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

@Tertis You're kidding right??? I love Nintendo, God knows I do but when people defend them every time they screw up with the fan base it drives me nuts. This is a pathetic launch lineup. There's no tip toeing around it. They dropped the ball AGAIN!! Half these games are part of the 0.30 promotion. How can you defend that????

placidcasual

placidcasual said:

It saddens me that people can be disapointed by any list containing the best 2D platformer ever made. People need to calm down...

Lets face it -its week one of the vc on wii-u there'll likely be new stuff each week and, as on the wii, a staggered release schedule is the best way to ensure that people take a punt on more lesser-known classics.

Personally I know a lot of the early stuff I'll have already as ambassador games on 3ds or on my wii or original cart anyway so I'm not expecting it to be amazing straight away but hey-soon enough I'll probably be playing advance wars on the gamepad. What a nice reassuring happy thought eh?

JuleyJules

JuleyJules said:

I agree that the lineup could have been larger but these are not as simple as putting the games on the wii virtual console. I've read that people want ALL the games on day one and they too would complain that the weeks after launch there were no new games. I hope we get the update tomorrow and VC on Thursday but who knows. Hopefully they release a few games each week to keep us happy! We did see other games in pictures on Monday. I did see something about more maintenance on Thursday. I really hope that means update is before and maintenance is to add VC.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

Well of course fans can't be pleased. You have some that are demanding that ALL VC games be released day one....so that none are released later ;)

Tertis

Tertis said:

There's this thing, if you haven't noticed already, called the Wii Shop Channel, which lets you play your VC games without the need to wait for the Wii U VC release!

Tsuchiya

Tsuchiya said:

The bottom of the barrel is long gone.
It's more of a used up bog roll nowadays.

AbeVigoda

AbeVigoda said:

I'm looking forward to the second batch of Wii-VC releases. Hopefully they put up some good games like Tetris, Urban Champion, Wrecking Crew and NES Golf.

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

People AREN'T demanding ALL the games be released on day one!!! People were expecting after all this time that a better launch lineup could have been put together. That's all!! This is a terrible selection of games to launch with, there's just no bones about it. It's a pretty good slap in the face to your fans. People do no want to have to wait years like they did with the old VC. That's a valid concern. The old Wii VC was abysmal with the pace at which good games came out.

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

Tertis has a very good point, a VC already exists that can be accessed on the Wii U especially when they're adding the option to direct boot that section of the console. Seriously ask yourselves...is the Miiverse integration really THAT important that you couldn't just pick up the Wii VC titles?

Quite frankly, considering the number of problems with the console they have to fix already, the VC has very little importance in comparison.

May have been a better idea not to put VC on the console at all since A) they're not going to please everyone (even the ones that say they would be) and B) the VC makes very little profit for them in the first place (especially if they have to remake each game). If anything the VC is a loss leader.

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

I pretty much expected this.
People act all surprised when they won't get everything at once and right from the start. But yeah, as a long time Wii owner I'd very much like seeing the whole library available right away, plus some new games not previously on the VC.
At least the VC backlog can be accessed trough Wii Mode.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

Hoping it to be like it was in the first few years was basically a pipe dream. But I wish it didn't have to be one. I miss three games a week. :/

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

@LzQuacker Well that is extreme. I think Ninty could have skipped alot of criticism had they thrown at least 1 or 2 more top tier SNES titles in there.

Dr_42o

Dr_42o said:

Hey, it's not just gamepad play you are getting.. Don't forget each VC game has a separate Miiverse community!

Hunter-D

Hunter-D said:

Well I skipped the Wii VC service entirely so this time around its all to me. I hope the EU titles are better, so far from that list all I want is Super Mario World.

My most wanted VC game is ALTTP as I only played a bit and never returned to it. 3DS or Wii U either way I want it.

Steveovig

Steveovig said:

Typical NOA BS. This company will never learn. As hard as it is to believe but we actually want to play games on Nintendo consoles/handhelds. We didn't buy them for decoration.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Nothing new...and just re-releasing them on the Wii U despite they're already are on the system in Wii Mode. Seems kinda pointless...I'll just wait for EarthBound.

Yosher

Yosher said:

Yeah.. not downloading anything on this list. Sorry Nintendo. Everything I would have considered, I already have on the Wii. So... no dice.

HeatBombastic

HeatBombastic said:

@Pikachupwnage Nintendo isn't trying to wow anyone by releasing all non-Sony&Microsoft system's games all at once. They spread out these games through the consoles lifespan, to expand interest.

MeddlingIdiotStaff

MeddlingIdiot said:

As much as I would love to see the entire library on the Wii U VC, I know that Nintendo have to update the manual for each game individually, which obviously takes time. It should of been a bigger launch line up but they're probably just being cautious to begin with.

Steveovig

Steveovig said:

Cautious? That's the word you choose to use to describe VC decisions that NOA makes, lol!

brooks83

brooks83 said:

Ouch. Has Nintendo completely lost their minds? The Wii had a better VC lineup on launch day!

MeddlingIdiotStaff

MeddlingIdiot said:

@Steveovig I mean with all the Wii U system problems thus far, they probably don't want to upload a mass amount of games just in case there are teething problems with the new VC.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

@Dr_42o yes! Because that's exactly the most important thing, oh wait. Plus, it could be added later.

Plus, the same freakin' NES games? Really?? Not even one N64 game? Not even another great snes game? You know, it's not like there were few...

It was expected but still painful. They're doing the same s*** with the 3DS. Very few games get released, third party games are almost non-existent, no GBA games and just a couple of GBC ones. What the heck are they thinking? It's ridiculous. Every launch as of lately is pathetic. Just look at WiiU's situation or 3DS' two years ago. They know how to make great games, nothing else. It shows.

Steveovig

Steveovig said:

Who in the heck wants to play Excitebike or Ice Climbers, who doesn't already own it?

SMW

SMW said:

Super Mario World is awesome, and not just because it shares my real initials! I''ll stick to my SNES, though.

I'm slightly interested in DK Jr. and Ice Climber, but not totally sold.

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

Simply awful......so disapointed with Nintendo lately. They are doing great things with the 3ds right now, but I don't have one, I pumped my hard earned cash into the Wii u on release day and feel so let down since. I belive in the console. But will never ever buy a Nintendo console within a year of release again......NO SUPPORT!!!!

Airola

Airola said:

Yeah, this is absolutely disappointing.

That's basically 4 games:
Donkey Kong Jr.
Excitebike
Ice Climber
Super Mario World

I will upgrade my Super Mario World for 1,50e, that's for sure, but those other three games are something I would only buy if they were 1-2 euros.

The only way this would be worse, is that Super Mario World would be replaced by Urban Champion.

Not only are the four other games available already on the Wii U eShop, but you can actually buy ALL of them already on your Wii U via Wii Mode's Shopping Channel. I guess most of those who have the Wii U had Wiis too so most of us have been able to buy these games already. Why would I excited for Excitebike being on launch when there is way more interesting 3D version already available on 3DS?

I am really easy going with Nintendo and understand even their more foolish actions, but this one seems to be a lost opportunity. I've been thinking that the drought of games doesn't matter much because the VC for the Wii U will arrive soon and it should alone sell the system, but with a VC launch like this Nintendo is just making people even more uninterested.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

Not hearing a word about Sega's systems, Neo Geo, Turbografx, or any third party games aside from Mega Man 1 worry me more than just having NES and SNES games.

Yogsoggoth

Yogsoggoth said:

Wow, I'm a pretty big Nintendo fan, but this is abysmal. How can anyone defend this when the Wii launched with a bigger and better selection? As someone pointed out, all these games can be purchased on the Wii VC so this launch makes even less sense. Why isn't there a single new title? What's the supposed sense in spreading releases out when I can say, "screw it," and switch over to the Wii VC and download? The only reason this is happening is because Nintendo is trying to do the least amount of work possible. They are trying to see how little they can give us and get away with it. Anyone that tries to defend "this" needs to reevaluate their "inner fanboy." This is beyond pathetic and another sign that Nintendo doesn't get it.

BrightBeing

BrightBeing said:

My first reaction was much like everyone elses. "WTF NINTENDO???". But my inner optimist says that VC releases may be frequent. If new games are released frequently in groups, this won't be so bad. But I agree with everyone who thinks this launch selection makes Nintendo look bad.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

What is going on in this thread? So, it's just a few games so far. The eShop is actually at a nice place right now. Each title gets attention. Same with MiiVerse. As a new game is released people pay attention. Would seriously be robbing many games of deserved attention if they were all out right now.

Building momentum with a continual stream of stories is necessary to keep interest in the Wii U and what is happening with it. It's also important to have repetitive information about releases to raise awareness of the eShop for Wii U owners that aren't core gamers like us. This is simple stuff.

Also, it takes TIME to get this stuff going. It's not a simple press a key and now you have a release. This is quite obvious when you see people screaming bloody murder over PAL speeds and other nitpicks. Nintendo has to get each one of these exactly right.

It seems like some people here would only be happy if the games came all at once or with ten times the number of titles. Well, that would take ten times as long or cost ten times as much. So which are you willing to do? Wait 10 times longer or pay 10 times as much?

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

@Deathgaze Except Nintendo OWNS the license. It said so in the copyright information

@aaronsullivan: As you said, it is a simple matter of everyone screaming bloody murder over something. Typical reaction to news they don't wanna hear...

brooks83

brooks83 said:

@aaronsullivan - I invested 6 years being patient waiting for games to trickle out on the Wii VC. I'm not gonna do that again. If Nintendo doesn't have a game I want to play available, I will find another way to play it.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Er, wait a sec...looks at VC launch lineup, then remembers EarthBound's release date
...Yeah something tells me they're going to yet again re-release all of the VC games SLOOOOOWWWWLLLLY. Have fun with that guys. :p

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

@brooks83 But why release them all as soon as possible? Either way, we'll see the situation the Wii had. None of the suggestions here will ever change that

SunnyShores

SunnyShores said:

super mario world!! i haven't played it since i was a kid.
cannot wait. i've never actually played ice climbers so i'll probably get that as well.
still coming out this week right?

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

In comparison Wii had a way better VC launch. With Mega Drive, Turbografx and N64 games right from day one!!

I guess if there was just one exclusive game (that's not out on Wii VC already), like Starfox or Mario Paint there wouldn't be that many complaints.

Personally speaking I'm underwhelmed as I have all of these Wii U VC launch games on Wii VC already, every single one of them!

At least we have Earthbound and Game Boy Advance games coming so that's something to look forward to.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

@Gavin_Rozee: That original Wii launch list makes this list look even worse (which I didn't even think was possible). I think that if the Wii launch list became the Wii U launch list, there wouldn't be nearly as many complaints.

Well, this is overall depressing for me - I'm only updating Super Mario World, because that's the only one I can update (not counting Kirby's Adventure - did that last week). What really sucks is that this is going to be all slow with the releases while I'm unemployed, and when I finally get a job (IF that actually happens...), the release rate is going to skyrocket. Oh well. That's life.

Yogsoggoth

Yogsoggoth said:

@Lz I would be fine with a VC launch with only 8 games if they were titles that weren't already released. The big problem is that Nintendo couldn't be bothered to launch with anything special. They couldn't be bothered to launch with their big guns. Seriously, who wants Ice Climber or Donkey Kong Jr? I'm really curious to know who thought this was an acceptable way to launch a new service.

SunnyShores

SunnyShores said:

Give the Wii U some time.
they should have more. i agree. but they don't and so patience is not only a virtue but a necessity at this point. it'll get better with time. hopefully.

Jaco

Jaco said:

@Gavin_Rozee Wow it really does put things in perspective, WiiU should have a lot more available for the system, its not like these games haven't been available before. If anything, most if not all the games from the Wii virtual console should be available by this time. If it was back when the system launched I'd be a little more forgiving

Nirosmir

Nirosmir said:

Nintendo 64 games would be great to begin with, Super Smash Bros. 64, Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time, Mario Tennis. Excitebike? F-Zero? i mean come on, sure they are good games but i already own those on my 3DS, all of them to be exact.

brooks83

brooks83 said:

I wouldn't want every game available at once, but this is a pretty weak launch. I think even having Mega Man available would have helped.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

The problem was that the Wii's VC started out great for the first few years than fell apart. The Wii-U's starting off so weak inspires no confidence at all- especially with less systems and third party support.

They need to stop with the trickling and get third parties together to bring back the old VC ASAP. But they probably won't- Nintendo hasn't done anything with VC releases in recent years to inspire the confidence some of you think they deserve.

Oscarsome

Oscarsome said:

That's it? Some of these games have already been offered for 30 cents. Or most of these, actually, so where are the new titles? This is crazy. What is going on with Nintendo!!

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

@LzQuacker It's not so much about releasing them all as it is that they still have way more they could release than was already available.

Now not only do they have a ton of games that we didn't get the first time around that they can release but also the entire library from the Wii VC. With the VC releases being as slow as molasses already, it's looking like some people are going to have to wait a LONG time to get to play some of their favorites with the Gamepad and other features. Then they also have new releases GBA, N64(which didn't have much already), and maybe even Gamecube that they'll need to keep up with.

It probably would have been impossible to get the whole library ready in that short a time(with Miiverse, etc.), but only 8 releases? Not to mention that we already have access to half of them...

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

@Steveovig: I know, right? The only reason I have Excitebike and Ice Climbers is because I managed to get my 3DS before the eShop launched on there! I mean, they're somewhat decent once in a while, but nothing spectacular.

UpdateNightmare

UpdateNightmare said:

They should really just release those for free. Those games are so old now, might as well do everyone a fan service.
See it as way to get people who never use the eShop to open it up and test it.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

They could've like...done something more with them if they're going to re-release these games again...I dunno, modify them for HDTVs. Online multiplayer. (yeah that won't work well for some of these games, just giving out examples. xD)

Steveovig

Steveovig said:

Yea, I thought it'd be cool if a game like F-Zero had online play. Sell it for a little more, take some more time to put it in there, and I think people would like it. It would take some effort but not nearly as much as a new game would so it should be easier to do.

Mulder1617

Mulder1617 said:

What a lame list! I wish they would just release all of the games they showed on the video. Its bad enough they made us think it was going to launch today. Then they pull the rug out from under us and give us crappy VC games. Sheesh Nintendo!

timp29

timp29 said:

This is great news. I just hope they flood some content into the VC initially before they reduce it to their standard trickle.

Chomposaur

Chomposaur said:

the ammont of anger i have for nintendo on how they have handeled the Wii/Wii U VC , i dont want to get banned again lol ... so ill put it lightly

All i have to say is that im very disappointed with the wii U VC line up ... i mean how meny more times can us nintendo fans buy the same copy of super mario bros .. :-/ atleast one new game that hasent appeared on the Wii/3DS VC and i would have been satisfied

bahooney

bahooney said:

I wish EarthBound was getting released on launch day... now THAT would've been a real kicker to launch the service!

Anyway, bleh. Super Mario World with Game Pad support and Miiverse integration is a surefire purchase from me. As for the rest, these are games I wouldn't even bother pirating.

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

Hope they put plenty of N64 & NGC titles up on WiiU VC, aswell as the NES/SNES titles.
Also Want a lot more NES/SNES titles that arn't on Wii VC.

If Not, it seems Nintendo listen to Miiverse,so plenty of Miiverse post telling Nintendo what we want should do the trick with any luck...
even if it does take a while.

brooks83

brooks83 said:

If these games had online play like SSFII Genesis on the Wii VC I would be completely ok with this lineup

Purple

Purple said:

@Gavin_Rozee Wow... i cant believe this is what took them 6 months! theres no reason they couldn't have 20 games ready... something to tie fans over i mean theres no games. this is laughable.. pathetic

brooks83

brooks83 said:

Well, it would at least spark some interest and excitement for the future potential of the VC. At this point I have none whatsoever.

hydeks

hydeks said:

That's it? Wow, VERY disappointing, Nintendo. Yet again, Nintendo fans make a big deal about something to just end up being disappointed :(

xDarkLink

xDarkLink said:

@Lin1876 That's all bullpoopy, Nintendo holds all the rights to the Donkey Kong Franchise.
Rare doesn't own poopiedoodles from that game, they just developed it for Nintendo.

Myonlyflaw

Myonlyflaw said:

I can't understand why Nintendo has wrecked the whole Wii U experience. The SNES came with one of the greatest games of all time and set a standard that lasts even till today. My Will U came with an hour download, horrible load times, transfer problems, few games, and no VC. I know some of this is may get fixed this week but it seems like crumbs when I thought I was getting a cake.

dragon_rider

dragon_rider said:

@skjia They still use emulators, but are encoded as part of the game, so it's a combination of a ROM and emulator. Nevertheless, it has to be optimized and coded as much as possible to achieve near-perfection.

brooks83

brooks83 said:

This would be like iTunes trickling out classic albums a handful at a time. Do you want money or not, Nintendo?

JayRydah

JayRydah said:

Wow honestly when I 1st started reading the list I kept scrolling down thinkin to myself this cant be it cuz 4 of those games were released n I got em all so im disappointed but nothing to cry over . hopefully it gets better.wii u must succeed! !!

Mickey

Mickey said:

HOW DARE NINTENDO NOT RELEASE MY FAVORITES! I HAVE A RIGHT TO PLAY THESE GAMES ON THE WII U GAMEPAD, AND NINTENDO IS JUST INSULTING ME BY NOT ALLOWING ME TO PLAY MY FAVORITE GAMES ON THE WII U GAMEPAD. I GUESS I'LL JUST HAVE TO SETTLE ON PLAYING THEM ON WII MODE... ICK. WAIT! I ALSO HATE THAT NINTENDO IS RELEASING THESE WITHOUT GIVING THEM TO ME FOR FREE! I MEAN, I BOUGHT THEM ON THE WII AND I TRANSFERED IT OVER TO MY WII U AND I COULD PLAY IT RIGHT NOW BUT I HAVE A RIGHT TO PLAY MY WII VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAMES ON MY WII U FOR FREE, WITH THE ADDED FEATURES. SCREW YOU NINTENDO, OR SHOULD I SAY NINTENDOOMED! Super Mario Sunshine 2.

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

@brooks83 I think that would've given me hope, too(another of your posts further up about online). It would be a little more worthwhile if we could play games like, say, Super Mario Kart, online.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

That's a pretty poor lineup for a launch. I mean don't most of us own those games on the Wii, if we wanted them? They could have given us a few new ones we didn't see on Wii.

Judging by the poll, they aren't going to be seeing a lot of sales from these.

Electricmastro

Electricmastro said:

At this point, the only eyecatching one is Super Mario World. If you've downloaded it before, you can redownload it again for $1.99 or somethin', right?

Kellx78

Kellx78 said:

i'm sure most of us were hoping for a better launch lineup, but im sure nintendo wants to make a few $ from some of the lamer games before they start releasing the awesomeness of zelda and earthbound

brooks83

brooks83 said:

@Kellx - Or they could make money from Earthbound NOW and please the fans at the same time. Sounds like a win win to me.

Gen0neD

Gen0neD said:

Wow. This list is crap on a stick. I'll give this list a 1/10. Awful. No sale.

Electricmastro

Electricmastro said:

Someone give me a definitive answer for what i'm about to ask, why isn't it hard for me to choose a choice? My only choices are either Super Mario World or Not Downloading These. Do I have poor taste? Am I too picky? Am I just not interested? WHY?!?

SonataAndante

SonataAndante said:

That's... that's it? No really, that's it? I don't understand. Why the small list? The NES and SNES have hundreds of titles, they could have just dumped a bunch of the currently available Wii VC titles on day 1 and taken, I don't know, a month or 2 to catch up to the Wii VC entirely. From that point forward they could actually take their time releasing things NOT on the Wii VC.

The notion is being floated around that each game is being looked at separately and having special stuff coded for it and so on. I don't buy that for one reason. We're supposed to be able to upgrade our Wii VC games to Wii U VC games right? Do you mean to tell me that I won't, for example, be able to upgrade my copy of Ninja Gaiden 2 to the Wii U VC on day 1 and that I'll have to wait until they put it on the eShop? That doesn't make any sense. And if I CAN upgrade on day 1, then Ninja Gaiden 2 works on the Wii U VC platform and there's no reason for it to not be in the eShop for people to purchase on day 1.

The Wii U VC is supposed to be an expansion on the service we have on the Wii, not a repeat of the same old song and dance we went through for 6 years already.

SunnyShores

SunnyShores said:

man would it be nice for some gamecube releases. i lose my mind. think they'll come eventually?

iphys

iphys said:

Super Mario World is the only game that redeems this list, but I don't plan on purchasing it.

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

I must say the actual new releases for the Wii U VC specifically is fairly underwhelming. Even the Wii had a much stronger lineup when the VC service started on it. I'll still be upgrading all my previous purchases though, but it would have been nice to see more titles making it to the service than that.

Oh, and don't forget Gamecube in the future, Ninty. Even though I have all the greats from the system for the most part, having everything in one spot would be great.

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

"...However the original Wii Virtual Console lineup was prepared over a long period of time, so we cannot offer the entire lineup at the time the Wii U Virtual Console service starts. Please understand the situation" - Satoru Iwata (January 23rd 2013)

ccanfield1

ccanfield1 said:

Super Mario World is the only game, not in the Trial Campaign, that I haven't already purchased and am excited for.

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

@Lunapplebloom @SunnyShores They still have to get through everything they have so far as well, and they barely got any N64 games out. On top of that, GBA is announced while Gamecube is not so, if we do end up getting Gamecube games, we'll probably have like 5 or so once Wii U's life is over if they can't pick up the pace this time.

@Whirlpool I don't think anyone cares about getting the entire lineup so much as they are confused as to why, after all this time, there are only 8 games in the launch, four of which we already have, too.

Gregor

Gregor said:

@Evergreen it takes time emulating things over on the Wii U. They are trying to optimize the games to work with the game pad. Don't be an impatient brat. Besides if you want to play your VC games on the Wii U get your self a classic controller, plug it in your Wii remote, and move the games over to your Wii u via SD card. I am tired of the whining and complaining when people are simply too lazy to think to do that! They put the Wii menu emulator in there for a reason morons!

klautrec

klautrec said:

Since we all got the best games already for 30 cents, I'm getting NSMW only. I'm waiting for DKC trilogy, I hope they release it again. love those games.

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

@Chriiis I know, just reiterating it in hopes of Ninty seeing the demand. Squeaky wheel gets the oil after all. And you have a good point, though hopefully if they are secretly working on Gamecube games, they release them in a more timely manner.

SonataAndante

SonataAndante said:

"it takes time emulating things over on the Wii U. They are trying to optimize the games to work with the game pad."

Does it? Does it really? It's not like the emulation on the Wii was awful. As far as I heard it was perfectly fine. So why try to reinvent the wheel? If I'm sorely missing something here, someone please tell me, but here's what I think about it. The emulation on the Wii was fine right? The big deal about Wii U VC is the addition of extra features such as suspend points and remappable controls and off screen play. One might think Nintendo is just refining and adding features to already perfectly serviceable NES and SNES emulators used on the Wii VC. It's not like they have to reprogram all those shiny new features into every single NES and SNES game. And if they honestly do, that sounds wildly inefficient. Pick out any competent NES emulator on a PC and it'll almost certainly play any NES game you throw at it.

As for the gamepad optimization stuff, it just mirrors what's shown on the TV screen. Is there honestly any optimization left to do since they've already released some VC games?

I'm not trying to sound impatient or whatever, I'm just confused. They've already done a LOT of work on the VC the past 7 years or so. The emulators they use clearly work well, so why does it seem like they're starting from square one here?

Ryno

Ryno said:

The amount of games at the VC launch doesn't bother me. I do find the list pretty lame though.

MAN1AC

MAN1AC said:

@MeddlingIdiot
It doesn't take 6 months to add gamepad compatibility and a Miiverse for these games. There's absolutely no excuse for this launch lineup.

@SirQuincealot
Because Nintendo is sitting on a gold mine and just letting it go to waste. There are people that are actually willing to pay for these games instead of downloading them illegally and Nintendo still can't get this right. The Wii U's library is minimal at the moment so they could at least offer some legit VC options to choose from

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

@Lin1876 I didn't know they removed the ability to purchase them... Good thing I already own them or I would be kicking myself right now! I guess this means we most likely won't see a Donkey Kong 64 remake either.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

@SonataAndante @MANIAC911 Wii U is a different system, different OS, different architecture. There's no point emulating the Wii emulator, they really do need to start from scratch. It takes as much time and effort as any other port, and it doesn't happen at the click of a finger, considering how much other things Nintendo programmers have at a much higher priority than VC.
Nintendo are currently programming various console updates and many first party games, VC isn't as high on their list of priorities as yours.

luminalace

luminalace said:

I agree with people who are complaining that's it's a pretty poor list. Not even one 3rd party title! Anyway I will stick pick up SMW because that's a no brainer.

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

@Lunapplebloom Yeah, I know too, just trying not to get my hopes up about it; If they can pick up the pace I might feel better but that doesn't like it's going to happen judging by their current pace with VC. :(

SonataAndante

SonataAndante said:

Even assuming they did need to start from scratch for the emulators, they're clearly done. They made them, they function. We've been getting VC titles to testify to that. They don't need separate emulators for each and every game. Most games should run fine on the one emulator they coded for that console. I would perfectly understand needing special emulators for the occasional game that functions differently or had some sort of on-board chip that set it apart from other games though.

Also it'd be inaccurate to say they have better things to do than mess with the VC. You don't think a huge company like Nintendo has separate, dedicated teams for each major facet? It's not like they would have one group of programmers that juggle everything.

MAN1AC

MAN1AC said:

@MadAdam81
I understand that its a different OS, but that still isn't a legit excuse. Not when VC was ready at launch for the Wii.
If you have a Wii U right now there's a VERY good chance that you had a Wii as well and already had access these games through VC or their monthly promotion.
This is just lazy.

EvisceratorX

EvisceratorX said:

Well, I don't find this lineup to be very robust OR appealing, but I'm very glad that they've at least finally gotten up the VC. I just don't see the logic in them releasing these games when they're ALREADY AVAILABLE on the Wii U. Sure it may be in Wii mode, but I expected them to release new VC games...

Metal_Slugger

Metal_Slugger said:

I think it stinks we can't pay for only what we want now. Its back to ten dollar minimum purchases of points or whatever their lame currency is.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I'd rather just play all of the Wii VC versions of these games instead although being able to play Super Mario World on the gamepad would be pretty cool.

bonesy91

bonesy91 said:

Wow.... What a horrible start.... Nintendo this sloiw release thing needs to stop. It wasn't cute with the Wii either.

nik1470

nik1470 said:

I will be purchasing the greatest game ever made... Super Mario World. Because you can never have too much money, or two many copies of Super Mario World =D

mch

mch said:

My NES-game needs will then soon be covered. I am looking forward and hope for N64, GC and some hot SNES titels!

ccanfield1

ccanfield1 said:

I do hope they add a cross-play/cross-buy feature between Wii U and 3DS Virtual Console games.

mch

mch said:

Even though it's not the time for holding back with releasing titles I could imagine that Nintendo doesn't just "put it all out there". Instead they might announce a schedule for continuously arriving titles for the virtual console to keep people frequently checking on the VC!?

Peach64

Peach64 said:

That's a really pathetic list. You just know they've done this so they can leak out 'big' VC titles to make up for the fact there's no actual games coming until August.

They don't need to be spending any time on these. The work goes into the emulator, not the roms. You get the emulator working, all the games work. That comment from Iwata is laughable too. They didn't have as much time to prepare the Wii U VC as the Wii one? Surely once the Wii was out, they knew they'd have this feature in the next console. They've had far MORE time to plan this one that the Wii version.

timp29

timp29 said:

@MANIAC911 Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that VC was ready upon launch of the Wii

EDIT: I just looked into it and wow, virtual console was available from launch on the Wii with something like 12 titles available. You're right, this is a pretty lacklustre effort by Nintendo in this regard...

-bows head in shame- :p

Eien1239

Eien1239 said:

Are they even using an emulator? Would it have been a better idea to make the Virtual Console an Eshop like program? that allows you to pay/download and play straight from the program.

sym1

sym1 said:

I honestly thought they were going to release starwing to get people excited for the service. Lamest list ever!!
Nintendo HQ; Wii u is not doing very well,
Don't worry I know how to fix it.....I've got the perfect list of vc games.
Nintendo fan; crys, how many times can I defend you!!

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

And i really thought, that the VC could pacify people...it could...but not like that. Sure, Super Mario World is one of the best of its kind, but it alone cant represent the service. All the other arcade classics are either not that good in the first place or didnt age that way. You cannot pacify someone yearning for games with Ice Climbers. Earthbound could have done it, Zelda 3 would have helped as a distraction.
Well see how long that list stays like this, or if we finally get weekly updates full of games...we could use them...

ecco6t9

ecco6t9 said:

Mainly I do not trust them to not pull a "Zelda this week, nothing next week, nothing next week, Castlevania 3 for 3DS,Bomberman (NES) for Wii U,nothing,nothing..."

There are no excuses for not having 1 or 2 Virtual Console games every week on both the 3DS and Wii U.

FOURSIDE_BOY

FOURSIDE_BOY said:

It's pathetic, just pathetic nintendo, all of those games are on both wii and 3ds (except for the snes ones, only available on wii), and it is lame that you had to resort to kirby's adventure, since the game is available in 2 better formats: as a 3d version on the 3ds and as part of the kirby's dream collection on wii. The only 2 games acceptable are super mario world and f-zero, there is no excuse for a link to the past, super metroid and the likes not to be available at launch; I adore you nintendo, but even love doesn't blind me, this is just pathetic....

allav866

allav866 said:

I bought Super Mario 64 for 200 coins on club Nintendo so I could have it basically for free, then pay to upgrade it, so that's pretty much the only VC game I look forward to, although it'll probably be a good while for N64 to reach the Wii U's VC service. Aside from that, I will probably get Super Metroid, and maybe even Super Mario World, but Nintendo's gonna have to add better titles if they expect to get any of my money.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

Cue the Sobfest... oh nevermind, I see it's already begun. >_>

I'll wait and see what they have planned next. If they release the Wii's games at a rapid pace along with previously unreleased games, then i'll be really satisfied.

gojiguy

gojiguy said:

2 consoles, 8 games. By the time we are drip fed the entire VC back catalogue, the next Wii U will be out.

andreoni79

andreoni79 said:

"Hey, why don't we give them Fire Emblem Path of Radiance and Luigi's Mansion? We'd sell tons of them thanks to the 3ds..."
"Naah, just give them what they already have..."

datamonkey

datamonkey said:

I must say this is uninspiring.

Looks like we are going to have to wait years (again) for old rehashed games that we can already get on the Wii.

This is why Nintendo needed to have sorted their online system out years ago, that way we would already have these games on the Wii U VC.

It feels like history is repeating itself here. Is this process going to happen every time Nintendo release a new console?

dolabla

dolabla said:

Wow! This is ridiculous. Come on Nintendo, get your act together. It's no wonder the Wii U isn't doing good. You've had several months to build up and put out a better lineup than this. I mean, this is a slap in the face.

CowardlyHero

CowardlyHero said:

While none of the games on that list interest me, I'm quite happy that there are 8 titles. Think about it if they release 6-8 titles a week it would only take a year to have every Wii VC title. Releasing that amount of titles every week seems unlikely and what happens with the 3rd party games, have they got to submit their titles again?

FOURSIDE_BOY

FOURSIDE_BOY said:

@andreoni79 That's the main problem with the wii u eshop, they are re-releasing games that were on the wii eshop as brand new instead of doing exactly that, release gamecube and gba games that would simply explode the sales the first month. Like you said, imagine they released these 8 titles at launch instead of the poor excuse they listed: fire emblem 7, 8 and 9, mother 2 and 3, luigi's mansion, tloz wind waker and eternal darkness. LITERALLY, NINTENDO WOULD BE SWIMMING IN PILES OF MONEY!, but nope, let's just release a bunch of nes games and 2 snes games, that will be a pile of money....

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Why are we seeing NES versions of classic arcade games like Donkey Kong Jr.? I just don't get that...

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

I'm confused. Isn't the Wii Virtual Console already available in the Wii U eShop? Why bother releasing them again, or are there Wii U specific features being added like the restore points in the 3DS VC?

MAB

MAB said:

The NES & SNES don't really have any good games to begin with so all you will get is the same tired ones that were on the Wii over & over again... This list needs some Megadrive/Genesis love to keep the masses interested ;) that would be the problem solver.

_MorbidFaith

_MorbidFaith said:

The list is lackluster sure but you guys act like It's a fast and easy job to code the games for the Wii u. Just be happy we got the damn thing already.

Jese_1

Jese_1 said:

Alright, let me bring a little happiness to this post.

As someone who never owned a Wii, this list suits me just fine. Plus, this is this week's batch of downloads. There very well might be another decent lot next week. I don't think we can really judge the situation until we've seen how Nintendo plans to release the Wii's back catalogue.

If they released the entire catalogue now, those who are new to the service wouldn't be able to get everything all in one go and would likely miss out on a lot of the good games. With Nintendo's current financial situation, I imagine that the GBA and N64 games aren't that far around the corner either.

LonDonE

LonDonE said:

@Vehemont why is there no option to stretch the screen, and change aspect ratio? i hate all black borders, i dont see why we cant change the settings an stretch the screen! why is it on emulators made by bedroom hackers there are much more better options, an the worlds best software company nintendo cant even make the screen stretched so its fits all of the screen, just look at the wii games when played on wii u, why couldn't they make the wii u re-render it in 1080p, and add anti aliasing, since wii games are notorious for having jaggies galore, if bedroom hackers were able to make project dolphin on pc which re-renders the games in hd,an adds anti aliasing, which makes wii games look stunning, then why has nintendo only given us a bare bones option? its the same with the virtual console, the damn thing is not even full screen, LMAO nintendo gamers need to demand more, wii-u cant even run them in full screen! oh nintendo how you fail us, why are they so behind??????

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

Since I have a lot of these on the Wii VC already and/or the WiiU VC, the only one I'd be willing to spend money on again to have on the WiiU is Super Mario World. The others can stay where they are!

simonchawkins

simonchawkins said:

I'm a little disappointed with this line up to be honest. I own a 3DS and already have these games. how about some gamecube games??????

rdenton85

rdenton85 said:

So are the European versions PAL or NTSC? I already own plenty of these games on the Wii and will be quite happy to transfer them over when I eventually buy a Wii-U but I doubt I'd buy them again, unless certain titles are 60hz.

RetrogamerFan

RetrogamerFan said:

A bit of double counting going on here, 4 of the titles were already confirmed as Famicom Anniversary releases.
Of the other 4 two were on the 3DS ambassador scheme, then i have Mario World on Wii's VC and Excitebike as a 3D Classic.
Slightly annoyed that Ice Climbers is on Wii-U e-shop before the 3DS e-shop as 3DS ambassaors are still waiting for the updated version... :(

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

Not the best line-up to get things started, but I'm glad the VC is coming sooner instead of later. I'll probably re-download Super Mario World, because playing on the GamePad is awesome and I'm also curious to play it using my Pro Controller. Been playing Kirby's Adventure using that and it's surprisingly comfortable.

With that being said, bring on the N64 games. Considering that I'll be able to configure the controller to exactly my own play style, I can't wait to play Star Fox 64 again. I hated playing that classic with the Classic Controller, it didn't feel right at all and I kept messing up left and right.

banacheck

banacheck said:

Yes Donkey Kong Jr.

I think with there 1st party support this where Nintendo really does well VC, it'll just need time to build-up a library. I just cannot believe they didn't plan ahead with the Wii U, after seeing the PS3 launch with no games. But as a lot have been doing they've put it down to only the price point.

TheAdza

TheAdza said:

Disappointing that's for sure. Not going to be buying anything until there is something that hasn't been on there before. Like for instance, Earthbound. Also, there hasn't been any talks about Sega games appearing. They were a good supporter of the Wii VC, but they stopped supporting the 3DS pretty quickly. So little chance of seeing some Saturn and Dreamcast VC let alone MS and MD games. And of course, still no Gamecube games announced. Very underwhelming. If Earthbound was coming at the start, nearly all could be forgiven, but without it, it's a boring rehash of old tired games, save perhaps SMW.

MeddlingIdiotStaff

MeddlingIdiot said:

@MANIAC911 But it takes time to update the control scheme in each manual individually. It's also been hinted that they'll be introducing a system where you only have to buy VC on Wii U or 3DS, rather than buying the same game twice, which may take time to implement.

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

Prof_Elvin_Gadd said:

Wow, new record for comments NL? :D

I'll be upgrading Super Mario World and picking up Ice Climbers! I already have all the other ones I would otherwise get.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

@dragon_rider Perhaps I should of been more descriptive. I meant that I would rather just play in Wii Mode over paying an extra dollar for gamepad support. I already knew about Wii Mode and I certainly would take advantage of it.

stuffedmushroom

stuffedmushroom said:

I already own 1-2 versions of these games. I see absolutely no incentive here to buy a Wii U, and their approach to their new system really does not inspire me to want to own one. I think the PS4 will be the only next gen system I'll purchase at this point. As a hardcore Nintendo fan for many years, I'm very disappointed with this new system. Feels like a money grab to me, and I'm not buying into it. You really lost some fans, Nintendo. :(

AbeVigoda

AbeVigoda said:

Nintendo releasing Ice Climber and Excitebike on the Wii-U VC debut is like Netflix launching their service with a couple silent Charlie Chaplin comedy shorts and the original King Kong

CliffordB

CliffordB said:

@AbeVigoda

Lol, so, so true, I completely agree, I feel Nintendo have really messed up big time and it's a massive missed opportunity IMO.

I think the VC on the Wii U should have been dedicated to the N64 & GameCube, titles older than this have just been played/seen far to often now that they are becoming stale.

BlackSpy

BlackSpy said:

Super Mario World never gets old for me, it'll make up for not having NSMBU, which is $60.

ICEknight

ICEknight said:

@MeddlingIdiot "It's also been hinted that they'll be introducing a system where you only have to buy VC on Wii U or 3DS, rather than buying the same game twice"

What, where, etc.

MeddlingIdiotStaff

MeddlingIdiot said:

Emily Rogers said it on her Twitter account a couple of days ago, apparently she's quite credible...

delt75

delt75 said:

I wish I didn't have most of these games already on my Wii or 3DS. I'd like to see them dig a little deeper into their past and put games like Pro Wrestling, RC Pro Am, Donkey Kong 3, or any other 3rd party game that isn't already available. The Wii Virtual Console started off so good, but it just fizzled out. Nintendo's past library is one of the strongest selling points, and they really should push it more. Not just one or two new games every few weeks. Flood the market, and make me pick up my Wii U again.

Pod

Pod said:

I hope they go through with the scheme that Wii Virtual Console titles that you've transferred from your old system can be upgraded to the new, Wii U tailored versions for just $1 a piece.

Or maybe that was something I dreamt.

Pachterkid

Pachterkid said:

I love Super Mario World and it is probably my all-time favourite game in the Mario series, but how many times does Nintendo expect us to buy it? I bought it years ago when it was ported to the GBA, and then I snapped it up again when it was released on the Wii Virtual Console because playing it on a TV screen trumps the GBA screen. Why on Earth would I buy it again? Just so I can play it on the gamepad? I don't think so.

Kirbic

Kirbic said:

@RetrogamerFan Ambassador should be able to get it updated now. I've got the updated Balloon Fight and Ice Climber sitting on my 3DS. I live in europe, though. Not sure if it's the same around the world if you live elsewhere.

Sun

Sun said:

Disappointing list, most titles are old NES games so often reused. Where are the SNES and N64 great games?

Oh yes, I will download Super Mario World once again as it is the best 2D Mario ever.

Racity

Racity said:

@SkywardLink98

Seriously. Nintendo should just transfert the whole WII VC to the Wii U VC and then slowly add new games that we have never seen before on any VC.
That way everyone is happy.

TravisTouchdown

TravisTouchdown said:

I hope if Earthbound proves successful that Nintendo would do what Capcom did with Megaman 9 & 10 and go back and make Earthbound 64. They've already got the story and characters down with Mother 3, so why not give us the 64 version we all waited for until it got canceled? Should be easy to remake the game in outdated tech.