Nintendo Confirms amiibo Launch Range of 12 Figurines

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

$12.99 each in North America

Following today's somewhat extraordinary Japanese Nintendo 3DS Direct, in which new hardware was revealed. Nintendo of American and Nintendo Europe have released separate information, with the focus on previously confirmed products; in the case of North America we finally have more concrete details on amiibo.

The initial launch line-up of amiibo figurines will have 12 characters — Mario, Peach, Link, Samus, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Pikachu, Kirby, Fox, Marth, Villager and Wii Fit Trainer. These are naturally targeted at Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, though the previously confirmed range of other games will support the figures. Though no pricing has been given for Europe, Nintendo of America has confirmed that the figurines will be $12.99 each in the region, and are available to pre-order from major retailers. The press releases state that more figures will come in future, of course, though there may be lingering disappointment that Nintendo hasn't been able to boost the initial line-up — shown at E3 — for launch.

Further details will no doubt come soon, but what do you think of these details and the pricing? Let us know in the comments below.

jenkje

jenkje said:

Preordered! Mario Kart DLC's, new 3DS, Amiibo.
Nintendo is back. BIG TIME!

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Just as I expected; in-between $10 and $15. Not bad.

People who thought they would be anything below $10 were greatly mistaken.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

I will wait for Gold Mario so I can use him in MK8 with my other gold parts like a badass

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

It's not that different from the price of skylanders. I will definitely be getting some but definitely not all of them.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

No Captain Falcon yet. amiibo most likely has nothing to do with the MK8's F-Zero vehicle and probable November track then.

Xaldin

Xaldin said:

I really hope there's going to be a Shulk amiibo.
It would also be nice if they released cheaper bundles, like a pack of 3 amiibos for $29.99

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

Good enough if it'll be similar in Europe, I guess. Now it's waiting for the characters, I want.

FlaygletheBagel

FlaygletheBagel said:

That's a good price, but... gosh, I want so many of them!

I guess Samus, Link, and Mario will have to do for now. I'll probably only preorder Mario though, since 1) I think he'll have the most compatibility between games, and 2) he's one of my go-to fighters in Smash.

mystman12

mystman12 said:

I really want a Greninja Amiibo! I hope it doesn't take them to long to release one.

Lizuka

Lizuka said:

Well, call me when they put out Palutena, Bowser, Pit, Lucina, Pittoo, Jigglypuff, and Rosalina I guess. Other than maybe Marth I can't really see myself getting any of these.

thesilverbrick

thesilverbrick said:

Assuming the roster has 48 characters like the leak says, that's $624 to collect the whole set. Crap. My wallet is pre-emptively sobbing...

DKS04Saturn

DKS04Saturn said:

Unless they release a male version of the wii fit trainer I'm not interested on any from this set :/

BensonUii

BensonUii said:

Oh crap 13$ = 13€ in Europe. My wallet isn't ready especially we have a baby girl incoming. :) I'd get Mario, Link, DK and Samus first.

allav866

allav866 said:

$155.88 to buy 12 amiibo figures?! And judging from the leak of the Character Select screen (which, at this point, is legit), there could be 53 characters total (48 if the empty space on the screen is there for show). So that means that getting an amiibo figure for each character will cost $688.47!

MohammedHarati

MohammedHarati said:

It's been a long time since the 3DS had spotlight on , great day for the 3ds owners , & i'm quite happy with the announcements .

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

sighs They're probably going to sell them for $20 each in Australia. Heck, $15 is too much IMHO.

Nintendo would be smart to release a complete set of Amiibo figures if they want to tempt this 20-something guy into buying them. :P

KFlow325

KFlow325 said:

I LOVE 3DS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHGHGHGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHGHGHGGHGHGHGHGHGHGH!!!

Ganondorf Punch

BertoFlyingFox

BertoFlyingFox said:

Not too bad considering they'll work across multiple games. If 2-4 hour indie games are releasing at $15, I dont see $13 for an actual figure that works across multiple games as fleecing customers.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I'll be getting Donkey Kong, Kirby, Mario, Peach, and Yoshi at least. But I still want to know how these things will be used in the other games besides Smash, especially Mario Kart 8.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

My initial purchase is gonna consist of Donkey Kong, Link, and Kirby. Shoud get some others as the months roll by.

I wish they'd release an amiibo-exclusive 3D collect-a-thon game along with the figurines, though. Maybe next year?

Kirk

Kirk said:

To be fair, it's a very pretty set of figures there, that I imagine a lot of collectors will be very happy to display on their shelves.

I won't be buying these figures (I'm not a collector and paying $13 to unlock a new character or a few moves or whatever just isn't an attractive value proposition to me) but I can see them selling very well if they're handled right.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

The price itself is not bad, the toys look beautiful and even the packaging is attractive.

The part that I don't like is how much money I will spend on these.

Klunk23

Klunk23 said:

13 is more than the 10 I was hoping for, but whatever. I'll definitely be getting the Marth figure. looks like they improved it a bit since the prototype.

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Samus for sure; too Metroid-obsessed to avoid. Link seems like a good sculpt, so probably him and maybe Marth.

rjejr

rjejr said:

$12.99 is higher than most of the Disney and Skylanderd figures, but collectors wont care.

The big question is will Nintendo let retsilers discount them? We have about 40 Skylanders but always buy the B1G1 50% off sales.

King47

King47 said:

That's fair pricing, but I'll get inveterate when ike gets his figurine.

blaze8937

blaze8937 said:

Well there goes about $170 dollars...damn Nintendo you are seriously my wallets worst enemy XP

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

I can already see the europe price be 15€...
Definitely gonna buy only the few I can't resist to ^_^;

Octane

Octane said:

@BensonUii ''Oh crap 13$ = 13€ in Europe.'' I now exactly what you mean.. It's as if they don't care to adjust the prices and just slap a €-sign on the dollar prices..

ikki5

ikki5 said:

little on the pricy side... Glad i am only getting Marth and Link

mastermp2

mastermp2 said:

I'll go with Nintendo's triforce (Samus, Link and Mario) + Fire Emblem characters and Zero Suit Samus

twadezelda3dsxl

twadezelda3dsxl said:

According to Google $12.99 is £7.83, but as we know the US gets things a lot cheaper so adjusting for that it will probably cost us Brits about £12.99 which converts to $21.55.

Icarus423

Icarus423 said:

I really wanted to go for Mario and Bowser to start. I guess I'll have to wait on King Koopa. I can see myself going into debt cause of these...

2Sang

2Sang said:

I was thinking 9.99, but this isn't too bad. Mildly disappointing but still reasonable.

RoomB31

RoomB31 said:

@Phantom_R
probably more expensive than it costs for a $15 graphic t. Everything is cheaper to make than it is to buy, call it commerce.

Darkness3131

Darkness3131 said:

SIgh. I'll get them all eventually, but right now I can't really afford them. I'll have to endure the wait.

invictus4000

invictus4000 said:

Cool news...but man that price is a little steep...especially considering that they plan on people buying multiple figurines. I'll probably get a few though.

ElkinFencer10

ElkinFencer10 said:

Price seems a little bit steep, and I agree with the suggestions of a 3 pack for $30, but $13 isn't unreasonable. I'll probably buy them over time. Not important enough for me to pre-order, though.

Phle

Phle said:

I need Link. Probably Pikachu. Not so sure about the rest. I would have gotten Zelda.

BigH88

BigH88 said:

Personally I don't get why we have so many complaints about the price. Was expecting 15 bucks per. Anyways put me down for Samus, Link and Fox.

Raycon

Raycon said:

Wonder if Nintendo will bother to get permission from Capcom to make a Mega Man Amiibo.

Shouldn't be too hard considering they still aren't doing anything with him anyway.

Ryno

Ryno said:

Unless these actually serve a useful purpose for me, I'm not interested.

Littletiger

Littletiger said:

if there $12.99 i hope they don't charge more than £8 each(but going from the DLC pricing i bet they charge £11.99)

Ralek85

Ralek85 said:

Well, I guess now I know why they look so cheap :-(
Still, maybe actual function will drive me to get one or the other, I doubt it though.
Anyways, I hope this turn into a success for Nintendo, they deserve it!

WanderingPB

WanderingPB said:

YIKES MY WALLET!!!! I hope they do a direct before to fully explain the Amiibos worth because i need to justify my purchase aside from those figures looking pretty awesome…but they did give a great price on MK8 DLC so i really cant complain…my poor poor wallet

jakysnakydx

jakysnakydx said:

Yeah that's more tan I was willing to spend. I'd have been all about $7.99. That was my 'yes I will bu every single one of these' price... now I might get... like 2

SavoirFaire

SavoirFaire said:

As nice as these are, they really need some kind of sandbox game to put them in. From a figure collecting standpoint I'll get 6 right off (however as was mentioned before, I will likely take a sale-wait attitude at first), but for games, they need something to play them in. This is my fear of this concept: it bombs because Nintendo is using it as high priced DLC, and you don't have much to "do" with the characters.

Nintendo would do well to make sports games that are heavily amiibo focused. EA has a death grip on sports franchises. It would be great to make, say, a mushroom kingdom baseball team, or an American football team with bowser, DK, etc as your defensive line, using stock characters and your amiibos. I'm really amazed Nintendo hasn't got a game for the amiibo's to play in yet, it just seems to obvious.

As for price, if there were 5 uses for each figure on arrival, I could see the higher price. At one (that we know of) it seems really steep.

justinluey

justinluey said:

I know Internet commenting attracts negativity, but you guys are ridiculous. Nintendo said from the beginning these would be priced "similarly" to other products in the market.

This is the suggested retail price, and it's the same as Disney Infinity and less than Skylanders. They look fantastic and they have the potential to work with many games across two platforms.

You can also except to see sales and other promotions. So if you're patient, you'll be able to buy them for less than $10.00

PrincessSugoi

PrincessSugoi said:

I need Peach, Wii Trainer, Samus, and Pikachu so if I preorder any it'll be those. I wish I could have them all, they'd look so nice on my bookshelf.

Sentinator

Sentinator said:

Calling it now. The Wii Fit Trainer will have some over powered technique to attempt to get you to buy her.

SuperMikey

SuperMikey said:

I still need to know what they do in other games before I jump on board. Also, how many games they'll be compatible with. I don't really care much for the figurine part of it as I do for the DLC that each of them offers.

NintendoMan94

NintendoMan94 said:

A lot of people seemingly unaware that Amiibo is a new platform that will crossover lots of first-party Nintendo software - it's not just for Smash. We'll also see Amiibo support in Mario Kart 8 along with other titles released in the future. This means that we won't necessarily get all the characters from the Smash roster.

VIIIAxel

VIIIAxel said:

I might get the Yoshi for Mario Kart, but aside from that, none of the figures from this set interest me. Can't wait to see the Shulk figure!

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

I'm with @justinluey on this one. The price is actually pretty expected and reasonable in my opinion. I think we just live in a world of complainers.

JohniePizzapies

JohniePizzapies said:

@Phantom_R companies typically sell goods for more than the manufacturing price. Plus you have to consider research and development, advertising and logistics costs.

umegames

umegames said:

Think I'll start with Mario and Donkey Kong, then work my way up. Megaman is essential!!

Luna-Harmony

Luna-Harmony said:

What but us in the UK and EU ??? left till last again.
Only shop to has them listed here but they are a bad shop and don't ship but keep your money.

Crimzonlogic

Crimzonlogic said:

I'm disappointed because I thought Pit would be in the first bunch. He's the one I want most. (And he might be the only one I buy, to be honest)

The regular (Not new) 3ds is still getting a peripheral to use these, right?

FernandoMachado

FernandoMachado said:

I need to wait and see how will they work across multiple games. Also, I need to see if having a "Smash Mario" counts as having a fully fledged "Mario" on other games or they'll release multiple Marios.

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

@FernandoMachado Both. Smash Mario works with other games, but they might still release, say, a Mario Party 10 Mario. The MP10 Mario would apparently work with other games, including Smash. Basically, you get to choose your favorite.

Anyways, I recommend getting the Mario amiibo as that one will have the most functionality, and the most bang for your buck.

FernandoMachado

FernandoMachado said:

@IceClimbers one of the Nintendo guys said the Smash Mario would have a big portion of usable data for Smash and a smaller portion for "other games". I assume a smaller portion equals smaller or limited functionality...

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

I can't see these costing more than £10 in the UK; I'd be happier with £8.99.

Of this set I'd say Donkey Kong, Link, Samus, Wii Fit Trainer and maybe Peach.

WoottWinds

WoottWinds said:

No hesitation on my end, pre-ordered these and the Mario Kart 8 DLC right as they went available. Will do the same with the new 3DS as well! Go Nintendo gooooo!!!

MeWario

MeWario said:

Dammit! No Wario yet :( and instead we get Wii Trainer!? Oh well, Starfox for me then :)

TheLobster

TheLobster said:

Day one I am getting Kirby and Pikachu for Smash. This has been my plan since they were announced. My best friend and I used to play all the time together and I was always Kirby, and she was always Pikachu. So I decided right away that I would get those two. Then she died unexpectedly a month ago and now that Pikachu means even more.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

12's a good number for a launch, assuming they crank out a new one every other month or so.12.99's a bit out of my range, though. But I'm sure if you're patient, you could get one for 33% off within a few months, or maybe get some B2G1F deals in the Fall.

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

Bye-bye Skylanders, hello amiibo! I'm thinking of Yoshi as being one of my first characters. ;)

By the way, who else thinks that this will be the initial roster of characters in the new games, with all the rest being unlockable? :)

R_Champ

R_Champ said:

Ehhhh, that's a little spendy IMO, but if I do buy any it will only be a few so it wouldn't be too expensive. I'd love a Peach, Ike, and Shulk. Oh, and maybe Marth and Pikachu so I can throw them into a fire :D

InnerSpirit

InnerSpirit said:

The figure line up you've all been waiting for is here... Wait??? is that a Wii Fit Trainer??? And no Zelda figure. Weird Choice. Apart from the trainer I'll pick up most of those.

Daisaku36

Daisaku36 said:

Preordered Samus, Link, and Fox. I seriously think this is a pretty good deal given they're playable on multiple games.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

$13 is the right price. Just hurts a little but not enough to keep me from buying too many of them. :P

I'm utterly helpless against most of these. Can't wait to see how they are going to be used in all those games.

Action51

Action51 said:

Just a touch too pricey if they don't start giving us more functions beyond a Smash Bros. teachable A.I. buddy...

On the plus side, I really like how these look, particularly my favorite ape Donkey Kong and Peach's looks better then expected.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

I guess I'll preorder my favorite character Kirby and 2 random Amiibos and hope for a holiday sale to get more.

Anthracks

Anthracks said:

Donkey Kong, Mario, Yoshi, and Link are all day one buys. Maybe Kirby and Star Fox and Samus if I'm feeling careless when I place an order, but definitely those four to start!

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

I just got paid today so I am definitely putting my money down on Pikachu and Fox as soon as I can!

DeltaPeng

DeltaPeng said:

Glad that they're competitively priced with skylanders and disney infinity characters (and not more expensive). Still a bit pricy though, especially if trying to collect them all, so I'll probably focus mainly on getting the ones I like that look good or that provide decent in-game functionality.

Drawdler

Drawdler said:

@sillygostly Exactly ;_; I'll just be waiting for the Aus pricing here... EB Games placeholder price is $30, and I doubt they will be, but if they end up that expensive I won't touch any except those of my all-time favourites like Pit and Greninja.

I'm not really interested in any of the launch characters, but I've been considering quitting Skylanders, and if I do these'll just fill the void. :P

JimLad

JimLad said:

I wish they'd stop using Fox's 'square head' design from SF Command, it's really weird looking.

Daisaku36

Daisaku36 said:

@Action51
"They really should be working on a giant "anything goes" Nintendo Kingdom game or something..."
That's kind of what I was hoping. I once made fun of the idea, but it does seem pretty cool now that I think more about it. These prices aren't any higher than Disney Infinity, a bit higher than Skylanders, though. And they'll probably be lame AI buddies at first, with Nintendo giving us an actual reason to buy a bunch of them later on. But such is life.

luckybreak

luckybreak said:

You guys this is a FAIR PRICE:
argument:
Have you ever seen the prices of anime figurines (aka Nendoroids?) they are crazy expensive, about $40 each.

I saw the Amiibos in person and have to say they are beautifully made, and very high quality. I am comfortable paying $13. Probably will get about 3 to start out with. If you guys are the type to have to buy all of them well sorry but thats how they get you! Its not about spending $200 to buy all of them its about getting your favorite character(s)

Nico07

Nico07 said:

@rjejr I've preordered each from Best Buy with my 20% off Gamer's club unlocked account. Not as good as a B1G1 at 50% off each, but enough of a discount to not pass up. Also as it is a preorder if they do offer B1G1 later, I can reorder at the cheaper price. The best would be if Best Buy offered B1G1 because the 20% off stacks with other offers. Though most retailers, Best Buy included typically won't match B1G1 offers for price match.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Nico07 - I'ld take 20% off, $10.49 looks alot better than $12.99. And everyone keeps talking about how great these will be b/c they work in more than 1 game like Disney and Skylanders, but has anybody actually seen them working in any game other than SSB? I know they've bene mentioned, but I'm talking about actual gameplay footage.

This E3 video is over 5 minutes long but ONLY contains SSB footage.

Nico07

Nico07 said:

@rjejr When I first saw Link in the Mario Kart 8 DLC preview pictures I thought amiibo, but then found out otherwise. If Nintendo wants to push amiibo, they should come out and explain the benefits of amiibo in other games at some point soon.

Ryu_Niiyama

Ryu_Niiyama said:

@rjejr Disney Infinity 2.0 figures are $14.99 (which hurts because I was going to get those) and Skylanders ranges from $9.99 to $15.99. I'd say Nintendo hit a middle ground.

piojito_O

piojito_O said:

So much for collecting them all, unless they have sales - nty x.x

They look smaller than the disney ones o-o?
Guess I'll have to see them for myself -to confirm that the tag is justified.

I mostly want - Link -Pit -Marth -Ike -(M) Robin -Rosalina

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Ryu_Niiyama - All the DI figures are $14.99? Dam, glad my kids aren't collecting those. I still need the Tinkerbell though.

Just checked on Amazon and all the figures have a MSRP of $12.99 and $13.99 on TRU. The new 2.0 ones are $14.99 seemingly everywhere though. Guess Nintendo choose wisely.