Feature: The Biggest Wii U Games of 2013 - Autumn / Fall Edition

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

The games are coming

At the start of the year we listed what we considered to be ten of the biggest Wii U games of 2013, and as the year has progressed we issued updates for Spring and Summer. As each progressive list shows, game releases and a fair batch of Nintendo Direct surprises can certainly change that outlook, and change is again in the air with this Autumn / Fall update.

For one thing, some games come off the list as they've arrived on the system in the past few months — or in one case is out in Europe and almost out in North America — or are definitely coming in 2014; the games to drop out for either reason are Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends, Disney Infinity, Mario Kart 8 and Bayonetta 2.

With the Holiday season so vital to the Wii U, it's no surprise that there are a good number of no-brainers in this update, especially now more games have solid release dates or windows. We've selected a lot of the expected names, but have left room for two eShop titles to join the retail blockbusters, one exclusive and another for which the Wii U release will be the only home console version.

So below — in no particular order — are ten major releases that we think represent some of the best of what's coming in the remainder of 2013.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD — 20th September (download-only in NA) / 4th October (NA and Europe)

Now only a little over a month away, this HD version of the GameCube title will not only bring sharp visuals, but various tweaks and new features — these will include a Hero mode, some first-person perspective options, adjusted mechanics and some interesting Miiverse integration. It's also a release that's clearly got high-level backing from Nintendo, with a special edition and limited edition console bundle both accompanying the basic copies; it could be an attractive option for fans of the original and those diving in for the first time.

Super Mario 3D World — 22nd November (NA) / November (EU)

The E3 reveal for this title showed that Nintendo's keen to further explore the style of 3DS title Super Mario 3D Land, but with new ideas and multiplayer coming to the fore. Its announcement prompted initial disappointment that it wasn't simply Super Mario Galaxy 3, yet a number of Nintendo Life staffers that had the opportunity to go hands on after E3 were rather impressed and, perhaps most importantly, had fun. It'll be interesting to take on the full title in November, and we'll see whether this one's charm can win over those yet to be persuaded of its merits.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze — 6th December (NA) / December (EU)

We'll be honest, before E3 some of our team said "I hope Retro's announcement isn't another DK platformer". That's not a slight on Donkey Kong Country Returns, which is arguably one of the most accomplished and glorious 2D platformers to grace the genre, but a reflection that some Nintendo fans hoped the beloved Texas studio was working on Metroid or something entirely different. Yet here it is, and we shouldn't forget how special that Wii title was; this sequel impressed quite a few of us with its E3 demo, as it's gorgeous, buttery smooth and has some impressive use of a dynamic camera. This could be a sublime 2D platformer.

Sonic Lost World — 18th October (EU) / 22nd October (NA)

In years past Sonic's reputation took a pounding, with any 3D game in the franchise prompting shudders from loyal fans, but recent years have been kind — Sonic Colours and Sonic Generations are two games that restored some faith. This latest entry is exclusive to Nintendo systems (there'll be a 3DS version) and carries element of Colours across, but most importantly is creating positive vibes in those that play it, with smooth speed and tight controls being matched by some interesting cylindrical level designs. We were certainly impressed in our Sonic Lost World first impressions, and this should be on everyone's radar.

Wii Fit U — Holiday 2013 (NA and EU)

Nintendo recently confirmed that this is still set for a Holiday release, which is pleasing against the context that so little of it has been shown. Since fairly early demo builds had us simulating the Luge and firing water cannons, little else has been shown. If this recreates the success of its Wii original Nintendo's accountants would be very happy, and assuming it's ready it could be a strong candidate for a hardware bundle

Wii Party U — 25th October (NA and EU)

Continuing the tradition of mini-game collections that were all the rage on Wii, this title looks let to make good use of the GamePad — some mini-games are played exclusively on the controller — and offer some family fun. This could be a hit in the festive season due to its modest price and bundled Wii Remote Plus controller, a combination that worked wonders (albeit with a standard Wii Remote) for Wii Play

Watch_Dogs — 19th November (NA) / 21st November (EU)

This was arguably the stand-out third-party reveal at E3 2012, and little since then has detracted from that initial buzz. It's a bold new IP, with hacking, real-time in-game multiplayer elements and player freedom being key parts of the overall package. Ubisoft clearly intends for this to become one of its primary franchises, and it has the potential to be just that.

Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag — 29th October (NA) / 1st November (EU)

Assassin's Creed III was the first title in the franchise to come to a Nintendo console, which may have had some scratching their heads at the plot — though the same could be said for those familiar with the series. It's perhaps surprising that a numbered release comes just a year later, and its Pirates in the Caribbean setting did prompt early chuckles, but footage so far is certainly promising. It's another big budget release that's incorporating plenty of freedom and sea battles, so we'll be keeping our eye on it.

Shovel Knight — Targeting September 2013 (NA and EU)

Kickstarter has its critics, and in some cases concerns are more than legitimate, but its also a platform that can deliver promising games from talented small developers. Yacht Club Games is a collective of former WayForward staffers, and its crowdfunding campaign was a major success. More importantly, many of those that have played this title have been rather impressed, with its retro-styled action platforming undoubtedly pleasing to see. With plenty of extras courtesy of the funding campaign's stretch goals, this could be a hot release on the Wii U (and 3DS) eShop.

Scram Kitty And His Buddy On Rails — Q4 2013

UK developer Dakko Dakko is bringing this title exclusively to the Wii U eShop, and Nintendo has certainly taken some opportunities to show it off. In our interview with Dakko Dakko's Rhodri Broadbent — he worked on Star Fox Command during his tenure at Dylan Cuthbert's Q-Games in Japan — this was described as "at heart, a more-or-less equal mix of shooter and platformer", with plenty of "wall-riding" thrown in. It looks like a lot of fun, basically.

So those are ten games that we think represent some of the best of what's still to come in 2013, with the exceptions that we highlighted at the beginning. There are some huge Nintendo projects — and one from Monolith Soft, of course — set for 2014, while a host of eShop games haven't quite tied down releases periods yet, with plenty expected in Q1 2014.

As always we want to know what you think are the most exciting games coming to the Wii U this year. You can vote for your favourite from this list in the poll below and sound off in the comments section

What's your most anticipated Wii U game of 2013? (646 votes)

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD

Wii Party U

Watch_Dogs

10%

Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag

Shovel Knight

Scram Kitty And His Buddy On Rails

My choice isn't on the list

Please login to vote in this poll.

Sonicfan11589

Sonicfan11589 said:

Only a few on the list that i'm hyped for (Zelda WW HD, Super Mario 3D World), Sonic Lost World) And I should be getting Shovel Knight for free since i pledged to its company's kickstarter.

Blaze

Blaze said:

Wind Waker HD is really the only game that interests me on that list. Then again, I bought my Wii U entirely for X. (If only that was releasing soon. :( ) Oh, and broken link in SM3DW description btw. :3

Yoshi3DS

Yoshi3DS said:

very hard vote for me with Donkey Kong, 3D World and Watch Dogs being my favourites. Had to go for Wind Waker HD since I've never played the original and its very highly rated

Warruz

Warruz said:

Well im getting everything on this list except scram kitty and Wii party.

bennyt

bennyt said:

Wow, the next couple of months running up to Xmas are looking terrific!
Tough choice as they all look fantastic especially SM3DW & Sonic Lost Worlds. But it has to be LoZ WW for me ^-^ never experienced/played the original before & it looks absolutely stunning so i can't wait.

Looking forward to that lil' figure too with the limited edition version.

♪ Wake me up when September ends♪

DRLAdmin

DRL said:

To all the people voting for DKC:Tropical Freeze, we're now best bros. :)

tommykittycat

tommykittycat said:

Tough choice but I voted for Wind Waker HD because I missed out on the original. I'm really looking forward to it along with Sonic Lost World, Super Mario 3d World, and DKC!

MeWario

MeWario said:

Such a hard decision! I think if I could have any game handed to me right now to play, it would have to be DKC. I tear into it so bad!

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is my most anticipated game this year, followed by Super Mario 3D World and Sonic Lost World, so I'm definitely getting those. Others I'm thinking about are Wind Waker HD, Wii Party U, and Shovel Knight.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

What a depressing list!
I guess it will have to be Zelda.
Problem is, Zelda is the only game on that list that I know I will buy! Watch_Dogs is interesting, but I'm sure the Wii U port will be poor, and Sonic looks like it's actually trying something new, but I never really liked Sonic games...
I may buy Mario because that is what Nintendo fans are supposed to do. And it looks OK.

X and FE X SMT can't come soon enough!

Minny

Minny said:

I didn't realize games like Batman: Arkham Origins or Call of Duty: Ghosts were not considered "big games."

cookiex

cookiex said:

I voted for DKC with Mario 3D World close second. I'm excited for Watch Dogs too, but I want to see reviews and hear how it stacks up compared to the other versions.

Azikira

Azikira said:

Shovel Knight is the best thing to happen to gaming in years.
The Mighty 9 is going to be the best thing that happens in 2015.

ClockworkMario

ClockworkMario said:

Watch_Dawgs for me, everything I've seen about it so far has been astounding. I hope the final product won't disappoint. On top of that I'll get: Wind Waker HD, and Splinter Cell. SM3DW and AssCreed IV are still big maybes.

On to the nitpicking: Nintendo consoles actually have had Assassin's Creed games before; two games on DS

FritzFrapp

FritzFrapp said:

I'm interested in all of them except Watch Dogs and Assassins Creed. Really hope that Shovel Knight gets good sales numbers.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

When I get my Wii U, I will be getting DKC: TF, Super Mario 3D World, Wii U Party and maybe Wind Waker HD. I'm getting Sonic Lost World for the 3DS.

strongest_link

strongest_link said:

Shouldn't Wonderful 101 be on the list of games that were dropped since the last article? Also, looking forward to all the first party titles immensely (except Fit and Party) and definitely think Lost World and Shovel Knight will be worth paying attention to. I hope both get demos to help me decide.

Expa0

Expa0 said:

I might get the Sonic game just so I have at least something to do on wii u before smash.

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

No Rayman Legends yet a few unreleased games like Watch Dogs etc?
At least everyone disappointed with NSMBU should get it. It is magnificent.

ghall

ghall said:

I put Watch_Dogs since I've been looking forward to that one for a while, and it's basically the reason I decided to get a Wii U, which was before my other 2 picks Super Mario 3DS World and Windwaker HD were even announced. I might pick up AC4 if I have enough money though.

Relias

Relias said:

Windwaker HD..never had the original.. hoping it's as much of a classic as I was told it was..

Ootfan98

Ootfan98 said:

Why is Wind Waker priced at £49.99 on eShop?
I hope this changes. Rayman was only £36.99

Melkaticox

Melkaticox said:

Exclusives: Sonic Lost World, just because it's a completely brand new game. WWHD is a remake (of a great game I haven't played yet...but still a remake), Super Mario 3D World is pretty much Super Mario 3D Land with multiplayer, and Tropical Freeze is...a big disappointment, I WANT MY METROID PRIME 4!!

Third party titles: Watch_Dogs, obviously.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

My avatar should make it pretty obvious. :)

Tropical Freeze all the way! I must say I'm interested in every one of those titles, except for Watch_Dogs.

Yosher

Yosher said:

Easily Super Mario 3D World for me. But also looking forward to Wind Waker and Watch Dogs, and DK as well. And possibly Sonic.

Also, Who's Kitty On Rails? Never heard of.

anders190

anders190 said:

I will be getting Zelda: Wind Waker HD, Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and maybe Sonic: Lost Worlds. I will buy Assassins Creed 4 and Watch Dogs too but on the PC instead. The Assassins Creed-games have always been awesome with AMD Eyefinity and it's too good to pass up on for me. :)

shredmeister

shredmeister said:

I voted for SM3DL, but DK and Sonic will be day 1 purchases for me as well. I'm not sure if I'll be getting Windwaker anytime soon. Already beat the one on GameCube.

aesupreme1

aesupreme1 said:

I chose Super Mario 3D World, but if The Wonderful 101 was on the list, it would be that. I have the limited edition of Wind Waker pre-ordered, but since I played through it to 100% on the Gamecube, it falls to third place for me.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

Buying everything up there on disc, and a definitely maybe for stuff on digital download. It will be a glorious end of 2013.

LeVideoGamer

LeVideoGamer said:

I never played Super Mario 3D Land, so I'm really looking forward to 3D World. I still haven't completed Sonic Colours or Donkey Kong Country Returns, so while I will buy Sonic Lost World and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze in 2013, they will have to wait. Wind Waker HD looks great, and I'll support the two indie games as well. I'll buy Watch Dogs for the PS4 in 2014, but I'm done with Assassin's Creed after completing both the first game and the third game in the series and came away from both of them feeling pretty disappointed. I have no intention of supporting either Wii Fit U or Wii Party U.

Also need to get Rayman Legends, Mario & Sonic at the 2014 Sochi Olympic Winter Games, The Wonderful 101, Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut, New Super Luigi U, Nintendo Land, Mighty Switch Force! 2, Pier Solar HD, Two Brothers and 90's Arcade Racer this year. After taking so long to release in the UK, I'm unsure if I want to support Scribblenauts Unlimited, and I simply can't justify spending £40 on Lego City Undercover.

turnmebackwards

turnmebackwards said:

Looking forward to these two the most - Super Mario 3D World / Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

Was looking forward to Watch Dogs until it was full of DLC material before the games even released.

Silent

Silent said:

@C-Olimar Buy what you like, not what others do. At the end of the day, its you who's going to regret your purchase.

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

@ghall let's hope we get the full watch dogs experience, it was my pick ahead of Mario world and sonic but Im so nervous about the port we'll get !?!

Emblem

Emblem said:

I'll be getting all the 1st party titles except DK. As for the third party games, i want to see how AC4 and Watch Dogs stack up to the other platform releases, i won't be buying them if they are significantly inferior versions.

Also you missed out Batman & Scribblenauts Unmasked, both are big releases.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Only Donkey Kong Country I am bothered about (Not worth me getting the console until there is much more I want - with the eshop stuff is not going to become unavailable so there is no rush).

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

I'm more excited for Pikmin 3 than these. I still haven't got a chance to pick it up, and probably won't until Christmas with the huge backlog of games I have bought right now.

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

All great games, but I'm not really interested in them for various reasons ^^;

Except for Sonic, always been a fan of the hedgehog and so glad his games are finally getting better again.

Funnily I'm kinda relieved to not be interested in many WiiU releases since how many awesome titles for 3DS I can't wait to play this autumn ^_^

ShikabaneHime13

ShikabaneHime13 said:

Already put my deposit down at GameStop for my WindWaker bundle. So far, the only games that really catch my attention on the WiiU are Bayonetta 2 ans Smash Bros. but SM3DW might possibly sway me....

ghall

ghall said:

@ULTRA-64 I imagine it will be comparable to the PS3/360 versions with some extra tablet controls. Though after Splinter Cell who knows.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I am getting everything there except ACIV, Wii Fit U, and depending on reviews, Watch_Dogs, Shovel Knight and Sonic. Wii Party U had me at the free black wiimote plus, which would be my 4th wiimote.

In the poll I voted for Mario. DKC and WW are in the next places on my hype meter. It was a great idea to swap the release dates, now Mario will make it to Black Friday.

kereke12

kereke12 said:

Miiverse, and Flipnote 3D still waiting for Flipnote, and of course ZELDA for Wii U and 3DS

Jorzha

Jorzha said:

I'm looking forward to wind waker HD and the new mario game. Glad some good wii u games are finally coming out.

MathRaph

MathRaph said:

I gave my vote to Mario 3D World, but actually I'm very happy with this line up, with 3 really great looking platformers (including rayman), my favorite Zelda game with nice additions, some interesting indie games (really looking for Scram kitty) and some blockbusters if I'm in the mood (I would have added Batman Arkham Origins to this list though)

mystman12

mystman12 said:

I voted for DKC:TF. I've been playing through the original games with my brother, and I fell in love with them, especially the music. Having David Wise back is going to be amazing too! Now, I just need to finish DCK2, DKC3, and DKCR before Tropical Freeze comes out!

VolcanoFlamesNL

VolcanoFlamesNL said:

I'm buying SM3DW, Sonic Lost World, DKRTF, WWHD, Wii Party U and keeping an eye on Watchdogs and Shovel Knight. Don't care much about Wii Fit U.

Rafie

Rafie said:

I'm definitely getting all of the 1st party titles Day 1. I can't wait for them.

Cohort

Cohort said:

Zelda, Watchdogs and probably for the first time since Sonic Adventure have I been looking forward to a Sonic game..

Ootfan98

Ootfan98 said:

@Hyperstar96

I didn't say they were the same. I was just using that as an example of a new game. Pik Min 3 was £39.99.

My point is why is it such a high price for a game (albeit an excellent game, I loved on the GC) that is not new. It looks fantastic but 50 sobs is too high

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

There is an incredible amount of games coming out for the Wii U this holiday season that I want to play. So many that I am tempted to finally buy a Wii U before the end of the year. I certainly wouldn't regret the purchase with this many quality titles being released.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I'm looking forward to: SM3DW, DKC: TF, Sonic Lost World, LoZ: WWHD, Shovel Knight & Scram Kitty. My #1 being SM3DW :D

Royalblues

Royalblues said:

DK has the most hype. Everything else... yeah. Maybe on other consoles. Oh, and Shovel Knight looks cool as well.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

@Silent That comment confused me a little at first, but you obviously mean I shouldn't be pressured into buying Mario! I thought at first you meant I would regret buying Zelda! (NEVER!!!)

I think I might like 3D World. It is incredibly disappointing (of all the 3D MArio games to get a sequel, I would not have chosen 3D Land! And I loved 3D Land). However, it loosks like it would be fun in multiplayer, and I often get shafted with kids to entertain. It does look like good fun still, even if it treads the same ground. (I'm willing to bet Cat Mario is the only new power up).

If Watch_Dogs and Sonic Lost World diappoint then I'll likely get it, but I don't think I'd regret it. I need SOMETHING to play on my Wii U after Zelda!

Captain_Gonru

Captain_Gonru said:

@ClockworkMario I saw that too. I assume that, since this was only about Wii U, the author had "home consoles" on the brain, and forgot about those. Though, I don't know how many people were even aware of them.

LetsGoRetro

LetsGoRetro said:

How are Shovel Knight & Scram Kitty above Batman & COD: Ghosts? Fine, I get it, everyone hates COD, but the first 2 Batman Arkham titles were phenomenal.

Shining-Void

Shining-Void said:

I can't wait for sonic lost world to come out! That game looks just amazing. Less speed more platforming. Something previous 3d sonic games lacked if you ask me. I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes the best one ever. ( minus sonic 2)

Kaabiitorori

Kaabiitorori said:

Well, I've got The Wind Waker HD already pre-ordered (Ganondorf's figure edition, to be more specific), so that will be my first most anticipated Wii U title. Although the list goes on with Sonic Lost World, DK Tropical Freeze and Mario 3D World. I could say Watch Dogs is another game I'm so looking forward to play, but I gotta decide whether it'll land on my Wii U or PS3.

This is going to be a tremendously huge quarter ahead in gaming, boys! =)

Cohort

Cohort said:

Sonic Lost World could be a surprise hit, I haven't been this excited about a new Sonic game since Sonic Adventure was released.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

It's like choosing your favorite child! If I HAD to choose, I'd say Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze... DKC Returns on Wii was one of my favorite games of the 7th generation, and this new one will not disappoint.

With that said, I'm almost equally hyped for Windwaker HD, Sonic Lost World, Mario 3D World, Watch Dogs and Assassin's Creed 4, and 3 others not listed- Rayman Legends, Wonderful 101 (neither are out in NA yet), and Batman Arkham Origins. Have people forgotten how good Arkham City was? Seriously, Scram Kitty gets a place in the top ten but not Arkham Origins? I hate politics, and eShop affirmative action.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Melkaticox
Dude, DKC Tropical Freeze may be a lot of things, but disappointment is NOT one of them! Every game can't be a Metroid game. What happens after a Metroid is released... then what? Retro made not one, not two, but THREE Metroid games across the span of TWO generations of consoles. DKC Returns was one of THE finest gems on the Wii- so good I even bought the 3DS port and played it all over again. It's time to move on, let Retro make some new memories with a new franchise trilogy.

I want a new Metroid too, but that doesn't mean I'm going to discriminate against one of the finest games of all time simply because it wasn't the game I had convinced myself it would be. Accept this truth: Retro is not making a Metroid game. We'll get one for sure, but if it IS from Retro it's going to be released near the mid-to-end of the Wii U's lifespan, say 2016. But don't count on it. It'll probably be developed by someone new.

You want a ruby, but we're being given a sapphire. Stop complaining the gem isn't a ruby and wake up to the fact we're being given a perfectly good sapphire! No, it's not the gem you had your heart set on but it's still a perfectly fine precious gemstone, and just as valuable.

Senario

Senario said:

@JaxonH True, also I understand how metroid is popular in the west being an FPS game kinda. But the truth of the matter is that it doesn't sell well overall, Donkey Kong on the other hand sells really well and I think that is what they need right now. Just because Retro isn't working on one right now doesn't mean they won't work on any future Metroid games.

Falchion

Falchion said:

Sonic Lost World! It will b my first sonic game and will satisfy my 3d platformer craving. It looks better than mario, easily!

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Rafie
And right you are- they're ALL worthy titles for sure. How do you feel about the 3rd party games- Splinter Cell Blacklist, Rayman Legends, Wonderful 101 (2nd party game), Batman Arkham Origins, Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed 4, Call of Duty Ghosts and Deus Ex Human Revolution?

I gotta be honest here, Splinter Cell Blacklist is PHENOMENAL, and will probably end up being the finest 3rd party game on the Wii U this year. But I'm just as excited for Rayman Legends which comes out in 2 days, and even more so for Wonderful 101 which comes out in 2 weeks. Also, if Arkham Origins is even HALF as good as Arkham City, it's gonna be amazing. And from what I've heard Deus Ex Human Revolution is seriously top-tier gameage. And Watch Dogs, AC 4 and CoD Ghosts, all worthy buys imo. I like all types of games.

123akis

123akis said:

i had to vote donkey kong country tropical freeze... the Wii version was AMAZING! when nintendo announced this game for Wii U i was SOO HAPPY! before they announced it i was thinking for a few months... "woulden't be great to have a donkey kong country game on Wii U"

My second most anticipated game is zelda the wind waker hd, then watch dogs, then super mario 3d world and so on...

Daggo

Daggo said:

Only able to choose one, uh? : P

I voted Super Mario 3D World, but besides I really want Wii Party U, first one was great; "Snakes and Ladders" mode was a ton of fun!

triforcepower73

triforcepower73 said:

One month till Wind Waker HD!! I have it fully preordered and I can pick it up early the day it comes out(Friday) since I'm homeschooled!

DarrelltheJ

DarrelltheJ said:

It's a good thing I just got a job and that my friend is buying 3D World for all of us to play. I've got like 2 games per month to get for the rest of the year now.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

For me, Donkey Kong and Mario are the only ones I can imagine buying. I'm not interested in a HD port for full price, no matter how much I love Wind Waker. I can already play it. I'd love to be wrong about Sonic, but they're just never top tier quality games. Wii Fit and Wii Party, never been interested in those series, that hasn't changed. What might have changed is the audience for them on the Wii doesn't care for them anymore. Calling stuff like Shovel Knight and Scram Kitty big games is stretching it too. Not because they're indie, because my favourite game of last year was an indie game, but they just don't look that good. None of the indie stuff on Wii U is anywhere stuff available on other platforms. Nintendo need to be trying to get stuff like A Tale of Two Sons, Fez, Limbo, or Braid.

gamr4life

gamr4life said:

I have been trying to get my hands on a wii u for several months now, and this list has made me even more desperate! I'd go with Wind Waker HD, followed closely by SM3DW, Mario Kart 8, and SSB4 even though the last two aren't on this list.

archlord

archlord said:

Although I voted for WW, I'm excited for nearly all the games on the list and I'm going to try my hardest to buy all of them.

Nictendo64

Nictendo64 said:

I'm excited about all of them. I'm glad the new Mario is going 3D and letting Peach be a playable character.

Rafie

Rafie said:

@JaxonH Well Jaxon here's the thing. Most of the 3rd party will probably be better on the Wii U, but since I'm one of those gamers who has been spoiled with achievement/trophies, I opted to go with the past generation (well current for now) instead of the Wii U. I love going for virtual incentives. I know it's petty, but hey! LOL I like all type of games myself, except for sports. I just recently got into RPG.

Man I'm so darn happy I preordered most of these games out the gate fully paid for. I have 3 kids and a wife to support and it's not easy keeping up these days with games. I have to start saving for Christmas. I always start in September. :D

Znerd

Znerd said:

For me Super Mario 3D world and Sonic lost world, and here's why. For Sonic lost world it looks to be the best looking Sonic game in a long time, plus it is kinda our mario galaxy 3. Super Mario 3D worlr boy thats a long one might explain it in the forums.

Znerd

Znerd said:

Unit_DTH

Unit_DTH said:

How come CoD:Ghosts isn't on the list? Since you listed Ubi's efforts and a select couple of indie titles, why not list Ghosts as an option, or for that matter why not Skylanders Swap Force? Just wondering.

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

I'll be picking up Mario 3D World, Sonic Lost World, DKC:TF, and Wind Waker HD for sure. Oh and Shovel Knight as well. I'd love to pick up Watch Dogs, but i dont have enough $ for all of them, so i'll likely pick it up early 2014 so long as it gets good reviews and recommendations from people who've played it (and so long as the WiiU version comes with everything the others do).

zeldafoursword

zeldafoursword said:

super mario 3d world! :D im really looking forward to this game! i loved new super mario bros on my wii u and i cant wait to get it preordered! second in my list would be wind waker and then sonic :)

Ailingforale

Ailingforale said:

@Azikira Totally agree with you on Shovel Knights. That and Watchdogs are my two top choices from this list.

I'm just glad I can get my SK on my 3DS since I'm not allowed to use my TV much with my newborn around.

Rezalack

Rezalack said:

@jayclayx I only voted Zelda because I've never played it before, I get what you're saying though. I'm surprised that it's higher than DK.. I almost voted for that.

the_beaver

the_beaver said:

I'll get Zelda eventually, when I find it cheap, as I played it before and doesn't include many new stuff. My preference there is DKCTF cause I know that for sure will be outstanding, like every game Retro makes. Also I haven't got Pikmin yet, and it's a must for these new months. But I'm really interested in how will finish being Mario, Sonic, Watchdogs, and Shovel Knight as well; they all look good, but who knows. Also Assassins Creed looks interesting, I could give it a try someday, but not for now.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Went w/ SM3DW. For those like me who were disappointed at the E3 unveil, the trailer in the eShop under Editors Picks and Pax Prime 2013 was about half solo and it looks closer to Galaxy in that mode. I'm hopeful it plays differently so I can play it both ways.

And for everyone who kept asking me why I believed Iwata when he kept saying no price cut this year, this holiday line up is why. I thought they might give it a shot this holiday and drop in the spring with Mario Kart 8.

brucelebnd

brucelebnd said:

not a single JRPG. maybe it will be like the wii and we'll get one a year if we're lucky.

Wonderful 101, Assassin's Creed 4, Rayman and Sonic are must have for me. the strictly 1st party stuff can wait a bit because everybody else will buy it and I feel like I should support good 3rd party titles

Royalblues

Royalblues said:

I hope (and doubt) they'll make the overworld in WW less boring. Everything else in that game was amaxing.
Needless to say, I won't purchase it. No need to, when I have it on GC ready and willing to be played.

LindsayPez

LindsayPez said:

I'm one of the only jerks who really hated Wind Waker. I love Zelda but that's one that I hate. :/ I'm looking forward to Super Mario 3D World and Wii Fit U. I'm having a baby in less than a month and looking forward to Wii Fit U helping me get back into shape!

Locke_Highwind

Locke_Highwind said:

Honestly i have to chose wii party u.

I love all the games up there.. And im gonna buying almost all (except wiifit u). But im excited about that party game :)

AdanVC

AdanVC said:

Both WW HD and Super Mario 3D World! But I have to choose only one to vote so I choose SM3DW because I'm so excited to see the new worlds and levels.

smashbrolink

smashbrolink said:

Wind Waker, for sure.
I owned the original and I'm eager to see how the new one stacks up against its source material, especially considering the changes to it that have taken place.

QuickSilver88

QuickSilver88 said:

Feels strange to not be voting for a Nintendo game on this list but I have been wanting WD for too long now and just hope Ubi integrates the gamepad in cool ways as I feel they will....they are on a roll with the very solid SC BL and Rayman both coming off great on WiiU. The WiiU party controller bundle is a great idea as I don't have a wiimote+ (just the original add on that makes the controller huge) so to get that and the game for $50 is great.....Zelda going to be my first full game digital purchase as the 2 weeks early I can't resist plus get $5 back with DDP

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

The three games at the top look brilliant. They'd make great additions to my currently-nonexistent Wii U library! :D

zeldagaymer93

zeldagaymer93 said:

Wind Waker, 3D World, and Watch Dogs are in my top 3 this fall! :D I am also really excited that Wii Party U is coming with Wiimote+ and is only $50! That is such a great value. But it also makes me wonder if it's truly that good of a game if they have to bundle a Wiimote with it.

taps

taps said:

Wonderful 101 isn't on the list because it's already out in Europe & Japan. I believe North America is where the majority of console video game companies make most of their money. I realize this site is kinda euro-centric but I doubt the majority of your traffic doesn't come from North America. Seems a bit dense, Europe has only sold like 5 Wii U's anyway.

ToniK

ToniK said:

@brandonbwii
I've pre-ordered it some time ago and I'm really looking forward to it. I voted for Watch_Dogs since I'm really excited about it but will wait for some reviews first. Also, I will get WW and probably 3D World too but those are a given :)

RQuinain

RQuinain said:

It's between Watch Dogs and Wind Waker for me. Watch Dogs because I'm just completely excited to play it no matter what. Wind Waker because it's something I've wanted to play for a very long time, and despite owning a Wii, I never got around to getting a memory card and a copy of Wind Waker itself, and thus I never played it. It's between experiencing something completely new and exciting, or finally being able to experience an unplayed gem in a familiar franchise...

NbaJunkie

NbaJunkie said:

I pre ordered WW already because Im believing the hype. But the game Im truly excited about is SM3DW.The family loves these games 3d land is the kids favorite.Im asking santa for DK.And Im buying the misses WiifitU Because Insanity wore out its welcome.Anyone have any ideas on how much wiifit u will cost?

oOo-Sega-oOo

oOo-Sega-oOo said:

Is Two Brothers and Pier Solar still on release schedule for this fall? Those are two games that I'm anticipating the most.

seronja

seronja said:

my most anticipated game of 2013 for wii u was wonderful - 101, but my most anticipated on this list has to be zelda WW HD ( never had a chance to play the original WW so this will be my first time playing it :D )

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@taps Wonderful 101 was left out because it's extremely close to release in NA (two weeks) and it would have been an entry irrelevant to two big regions. I did say that some games were left out due to release dates :)

Pod

Pod said:

I'm rounding up all the puzzle pieces and getting gold medals on time in DKC Returns these days, after initially beating it two years ago.

This game is so incredibly fun and gorgeous that I can't help but be the most enthusiastic for its sequel.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Rafie
I hear ya with the trophies. I have a Vita and I love it when it says I earned a trophy for doing "X" or accomplishing "Y". It's one thing I wish Nintendo would implement. I'm sure they will, one day. At least a lot of the games have similar achievement systems built into them, like Splinter Cell Blacklist has the ShadowNet Challenges built in. Same idea as trophies, but rewards of in-game cash. I do like trophies but I don't think I'd give up the gamepad features for them. That's just me though.

After buying Pikmin 3, Splinter Cell: Blacklist and NSLU physical release, I pre ordered Rayman Legends, Wonderful 101, Windwaker HD Limited Edition, Sonic Lost World, Batman Arkham Origins, Assassin's Creed 4, Watch Dogs, Call of Duty Ghosts, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Mario 3D World, DKC Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, and Smash Bros 4. I'm still waiting for Monolith Soft's X and SMT x Fire Emblem to open up for pre orders though.

Also, after buying Mario & Luigi Dream Team on 3DS, I went ahead and pre ordered Sonic Lost World, Pokémon X, Pokémon Y, Smash Bros 4, and Mario Golf: World Tour. On Vita I pre ordered The Walking Dead, Killzone Mercenaries, and I'm waiting on Final Fantasy X HD and Borderlands 2 to open to pre order. For PS4 I got Killzone Shadowfall, Infamous Second Son, Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy 15. Still waiting on Metal Gear Solid 5, The Witcher 3, Beyond Good & Evil 2 and Mirror's Edge 2 to open for pre order.

All paid off in advance, and I'm pretty much set for the next 9 months. Then next E3 I'll do it all again.

Finntendo

Finntendo said:

I agree, Arkham Origins should be there. The first two were kickdonkey games.

I voted for WW, but in general II'll probably act like Philip J. Fry: "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!"

Now that Rayman is on it's way, I know I'll be ordering Arkham Origins next (perhaps with Blackgate) since at least it's the game we both will play (after asking my husband does he want to play it on PC or on Wii U). WW yes, but not with that price. Seriosly? Old game and they ask full price for it? 39.90 at least.... but I think DKC TF will also be pre-ordered.. and eventually most of those games :P

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

You should just tell us to vote which ones we'll be looking forward to... I must have 7 out of those 10 on the list! I can't decide which one I wanted more but I selected Watch_Dogs, purely because I've already got that pre-ordered but not the others... I'm going to be broke this year :(

Ultrasyd

Ultrasyd said:

Really looking forward to Zelda Wind Waker HD, but I already know the game. So I'm more excited to discover Watch_Dogs and Assassin's Creed IV. For some reason, I wasn't fond of AC III when I first played it, maybe because I had just finished Mass Effect 3, and I was comparing UBI's game to ME.
But now I'm on AC III and I think it's pretty well made. So I'm confident for the next Ubi's games : )
Many games to buy soon !!!

Goginho

Goginho said:

lol so sad to see Assassin's Creed as one of the least anticipated games.
Oh well, I just need Wind Waker, 3D World and Tropical Freeze :)

Surprising to see WW HD as one of the two most (currently) anticipated games, along side Mario ..considering it IS a simple remake. I expeceted Mario and DK to take first two spots repectively, with WW being close third.

Finntendo

Finntendo said:

^But WW is so kickdonkey game that of course it's anticipated!

I actually bought ACIII because a) it was cheap b) I want to experience those funny bugs that Internet is full (of AC games) because I live mostly in bug-free gaming world - just because Nintendo games are usually bugfree :P
please watch the profanity — TBD

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

I've been missing my Wii Fit, so that's top of the list - be a full year without it by the time this is available.

All the Nintendo software is on my to-buy list. Of the third party stuff, only Scram Kitty is tweaking my interest. If it's anything like the Q Game stuff I've played in the past it should be ace!

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

Wind Waker HD, all the way. I never got to play it when it was on GameCube, so this will be an all-new experience for me. Can't wait!

MAB

MAB said:

Well, with the $600AU I will save not buying a PSOne I can get every 1st & 3rd party game that is released for WiiU ;)

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@Finntendo I think the view was that with the online component completely absent compared to other platforms, that weakened Arkham Origins on Wii U. It also seemed worthwhile adding a couple of high-profile eShop games this time around, too.

ejamer

ejamer said:

Wii U has a solid Fall lineup! I'm personally looking forward to the following retail games: Rayman Legends, Zelda Wind Waker HD, and Super Mario 3D World. One per month is all (maybe more) than my time/money budget can afford... and that's ignoring 3DS releases and all digital content.

MAB

MAB said:

@mch yeah, also factor in having to buy games, online subscriptions and extra stuff with the PSOne and yer looking at $800AU+... The holiday season isn't looking good for MicroSony in MadAussieLand ;)

Souflee

Souflee said:

Picking up Lost world day one, also buying WindWaker, Watch Dogs, Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong and AC IV, that plus hats coming to 3DS its gonna be a lot of money, Pokemon and Lost World are first choice, then both zeldas wii u and 3DS, strangely enough Mario 3D World comes last maybe out of my low expectations and feeling that the game is "rushed" it will end up surprising me

ArcanaXVI

ArcanaXVI said:

Wind Waker HD for me, but Shovel Knight comes in a close second. Seems it's going to be released soon, too!

LDXD

LDXD said:

I can't decide I'm stuck between wwhd, tropical freeze, and shovel knight

Pachterkid

Pachterkid said:

So let’s see: We have a port of a 10 year old game which looks no better than its Game Cube original (only much brighter), a Mario game that people already hate because it’s not Galaxy 3, a DKC game that people are also annoyed about because they think Retro should be making another Metroid game, a 3D Sonic game that I’m sure Sega will find a way to screw up, two Ubisoft games that will likely have freeing issues if they’re anything like AC III and Blacklist, and then a bunch of casual crap and eShop games. Yup, it’s going to be a great fall for the Wii U!!

I have a Wii U to play Mario games, and I’m certainly looking forward to the first three titles on that list. For any gaming experience that doesn’t involve jumping on an enemy’s head, I turn to Sony. Nintendo’s first-party stuff is usually outstanding, but as a 26 year old gamer I need more than the few titles they can dish out a year.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@Rafie you just recently got into RPGs? Man you have know idea what you've been missing/ missed. I love pretty much all types of games but RPGs are at the top of that list

MAB

MAB said:

Yeah, the WiiU will also have the definitive versions of all the 3rd party titles so there is no point in even getting a PSOne until another 4 or 5 years down the track when they're bargain binned for epic failure ;)

daveh30

daveh30 said:

I voted SM3DW, just because its new. It narrowly edges out Wind Waker, just because I've played and finished WW before.

Chrisfly798

Chrisfly798 said:

I actually think its Sonic Lost World. It gives sonic fans a whole new look of gameplay. Its definitely worth buying. Plus, its the first 3D sonic game on a handheld system not 2D like sonic generations. I'm definitely getting it on 3DS. Who else is getting it on 3DS? BTW MAKE SURE U VOTE FOR SONIC LOST WORLD!

Rafie

Rafie said:

@JaxonH Man you are rolling in the dough! Hahaha I'm working trying to support my habit. The only thing that's paid for is my PS4, Batman on both the PS3 and Vita, WWHD, DKC, and GTA5. Oh and Killzone for PS4. You are certainly on top of things. Gaming has been gracious to ya.

I also agree as well about Nintendo implementing a virtual incentive like trophies/achievements. Had that been the case, I would have bought most of my games on the Wii U. I promise! It's really that reason alone why I get my 3rd party games else where. I know some see it as a dumb reason and nag and say that it's people like me is the reason why Nintendo isn't doing well with 3rd party. I really just can't help myself and I like to be as honest as I can.

I have to say that I'm a bit jealous! LOL You have all of these games paid for and I'm still working at getting most of them off of preorder. Oh I did forget to mention that MK8 and Smash is paid for. My Gamestop doesn't have definitive dates, but they were able to take preorders. I had to do that at least. :D

Rafie

Rafie said:

@LDXD LOL Well let me be perfectly honest here. I hope I don't get flamed for this. I actually believed in my heart of hearts that RPG's were the most boring out of all of the genres. I couldn't get into them at all. I couldn't get into the parts where I have to wait for someone to attack me, then I attack them and back and forth. However, my wife is an RPG player and explained to me that it's more than that. My wife became a great strategist individual in real life situations because she played so many RPG's in the past. I decided to give it a try...again. First with Dragon Age, then with Ni No Kuni (loved it and beautiful game), now Dragon's Dogma will be next. I'm looking forward to playing Shin and Fire Emblem when I can dedicate the time to play them. I will pick up the next X game for Wii U though. I'm a fan of RPG's now, but I'm still quite a newbie at them.

Nintendo needs to secure more JRPG's. Sony is the only console that has more JRPG's than anyone can count. I don't expect MS to ever have them. Especially since their console doesn't bode well in Japan.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@Rafie haha nobody's gonna flame you bro lol
But seriously that's how I know I will eventually get a ps4 and is why I love my ps3 and no no kuni was great loved it
BTW have you ever played dark/demon souls? It gets a bad name for supposedly being to difficult but its not as hard as people make it to be, I've been playing games for around 29 years and the souls series is one of the most rewarding gaming experiences I've had its definitely old school but I say give it a try and some time the gameplay is like no other
Oh and I'm getting that X game for sure just got fire emblem for 3ds just haven't had time to play it yet I just started to finally play dragons crown lol
I like all different types of games but for some reason RPGs are one genre I don't get bored of ever

pukka-pie

pukka-pie said:

Hopefully the Wii U will start to gather momentum now, some great games around the corner but hardly a glut. I've gotta say Assassins Creed IV sounds like a shameless Sid Meier's Pirates rip off.

Shambo

Shambo said:

I can't vote for just one, my wallet will vote for almost all of them and even some not on the list...

Rafie

Rafie said:

@LDXD Well you know how some people are. Haha

I haven't played Demon/Dark Souls. I heard that game is utterly unforgiving and YOU WILL DIE!! LOL Still, I'm going to try it now. I downloaded it on the PS Plus a few months ago. So I guess I'm prepared for death in this game. :) I've been gaming since '86 and I enjoyed most games, just not RPG's. I'm not a sports guy either. Although boxing is my thing and I did play a few NBA Jams, NBA Streets, Mario Baseballs and such. I guess I like over the top sports games. Haha I also played a ton of wrestling games, so that counts, right? :p

No worries though, I enjoy RPG as a late bloomer in the game. You seriously gotta hit me up on the Wii U and PS3. My Wii U ID is Rafie82 and my PS3 is Rafie27 (hopefully Sony let's me change that with the PS4).

LuigiIsAwesome

LuigiIsAwesome said:

I'm getting Wii Party U, Wii Fit U, Super Mario3D World, Sonic Lost World, and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze! I pre-ordered all of them!! :D

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

Too many awesome games to choose just one. I'm hoping to have at least 3-4 (if not 6-7) of the retail games on the list by year's end, and maybe 2-3 that aren't on the list (Deus Ex, CoD Ghosts, Batman, and/or Adventure Time), plus as many of the upcoming eshop indie games I can get. It's going to be a good, and expensive, next 4 months.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Rafie
You're not doing so bad yourself it seems! And yeah, I forgot I'd ordered Arkham Origins Blackgate on Vita. I'll also pick it up on 3DS after price drops just for my collection. Think that game looks as good as the home console version.

I worked ALOT of overtime to get the funds for all those games. There's just no way I could pass up on any of them lol. I couldn't imagine myself allowing a single one of those games to release, and not be playing it...

Hey, it's your money, and no one should be telling you how to spend it. You worked for it, you earned it, you spend it how you see fit, right? Idk, for me, ever since I played Arkham City and Darksiders 2 on Wii U (and more recently Splinter Cell Blacklist), I don't think I could ever go back to using one screen again, if given the choice.

It was an easy sell on Wii U for a game like Watch Dogs, which seems made to be used with the gamepad, but others like Assassin's Creed 4 were a tougher sell for me, especially since the PS4 version has the Aveline's Content. In the end though, I decided there were going to be PLENTY of PS4 games that don't come to Wii U, so I at least wanted to support the few that do. Besides, the gamepad integration is nice, after all.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@Rafie I always tell people the souls games are nes hard so if you grew up playing nes games its not that difficult actually some nes games make souls look like a cake walk if you ask me some advice though get a good shield that is your life, I can't tell you how many hrs I've put into demon souls and didn't realize how important the stability stat on shields were, and don't get discouraged in the beginning from the tutorial or the first area you will go to undead burg because the game opens up after that and gets pretty awesome just be patient
And next time I'm on Wii u I will add you for sure bro mine is LivingDeath and on ps3 I think its LivingDeath9 but not sure I have to check that one I mostly played online games on my 360 that I don't have anymore :( man I miss borderlands 2

Finntendo

Finntendo said:

@ThomasBW84

That's a very good point (yet it's stupid to treat Wii U version that way - I mean leaving online option off. .. not that I'd use it anyways, but still. That was one thing I asked my husband about. Does he want to play online. He said no that he wants Wii U version)

Parasky

Parasky said:

I'm probably going to get Tropical Freeze, especially if it has classic controller support.

All the other ones, especially the 3D Mario game, I could care less about.

capitalism

capitalism said:

Mario 3D World for me!!! Can't wait to play some multiplayer in a 3D mario for the first time ever!!!!

Wildfire

Wildfire said:

I'll probably get the majority of this games but my most anticipated is without any doubt Sonic Lost World!

Kirk

Kirk said:

I really want to see more of Super Mario 3D World, along with most of those other games too to be honest...

Emaan

Emaan said:

I'm more excited for Pokemon X and Y than anything else, but I'm also really looking forward to Super Mario 3D World, despite its initial negative reaction from fans. Mario is Mario, and I know it'll be a game worth my while.

RawkHawk013

RawkHawk013 said:

As for me, man pretty much all of these games pique my interest! So exciting to have all of these games coming out this year!

Senario

Senario said:

@Rafie Well to be fair even though PS3 has a lot of JRPGs I can honestly admit that the Wii had the highest quality ones. The Last Story was amazing, Xenoblade was pretty dang good too. There weren't many titles on PS3 in the way of JRPGs that I found particularly good, with the one exception being Ni no Kuni (was on 3DS in Japan originally). And I think that one is good in part due to Ghibli Studios magic.

WitchSugoi

WitchSugoi said:

I'm a Sonic fangirl so Lost World is obviously at the top of the list and will be bought the same day I get a WiiU. SM3DW would be next followed by Wonderful 101 and WiiFit U. Always down for a good DK entry and I also never played the original Wind Waker so those are on my radar. Thanks for bringing Shovel Knight to my attention because I'm definitely going to have to check that out.

Rafie

Rafie said:

@JaxonH Man you are so right on that. There is way too many games there for us not to play. I'd be a fool to pass them up.

You make a good point about some 3rd party games not showing up on the Wii U, so the ones that do...we need to support. Especially since some of them will be the definitive versions on the U. I take it Splinter Cell, Batman Origins, Watch Dogs will probably be better on the Wii U. I don't see where all the hate comes from with the gamepad. I absolutely love it.

I guess we'll be set for the next few months. GTA5 is about to take up my time though. LOL I hope I'm done with it (probably not) by the time WWHD and Batman drop. Here's to us gamers! :D

Rafie

Rafie said:

@LDXD Oh wow you're a multiplatform console holder yourself. LOL I would've added you as well on the 360. Well it's all good. I will add you tonight as soon as I log into both consoles. I've been at work these past 12 hours and need the rest. :p

Oh and I see you're also ready for Dark Souls 2. MORE DEATH!! I wonder why the Dark Soul series isn't on Wii U. That would be super awesome. I know Demon Souls was a PS3 exclusive, but the title after that was multi plat.

Rafie

Rafie said:

@Senario I don't know man. I only recently got into RPG's, but I have a great amount of Japanese friends (there's a community of them here in South Florida) and they all basically said the PS3 has the most and better RPG's overall. I'm not arguing what you're saying. I'm just letting you know what they said. Outside of the 3DS, the PS3 is the favored console according to them and they all made a claim about the JRPGs. I can't name any specific because they were all in Japanese and never got localized here, but they showed me and wow it was a lot. LOL

They also loved Xenoblade and others. While we were talking, one of them was playing Fire Emblem and he claims that is his favorite. LOL Very cool people to be around and kind too.

andreoni79

andreoni79 said:

All I want is Donkey Kong Country TF!!!
Mario can wait (you know, it's not Galaxy 3...)
Zelda is too expensive and my Gamecube version still look gorgeous!