Don't Worry, Nintendo Hasn't Forgotten About The Virtual Console

Posted by Damien McFerran

Lack of attention at E3 2014 doesn't mean the service is being ignored

While Nintendo's E3 was a successful one, many fans were concerned by the worrying lack of Virtual Console-related news. While expectations with some gamers were probably a little too high — the prior announcement of the GameCube controller adapter for the Wii U led to speculation that GameCube games would be confirmed during the event — the lack of exposure given by Nintendo to its retro-gaming portal was nevertheless notable.

However, Nintendo of America boss Reggie Fils-Aime insists that this doesn't mean that the company is losing interest in the Virtual Console. Speaking to Kotaku, he said:

Our commitment to virtual console is exceptionally strong. We just launched some of the Game Boy Advance games. Those are doing exceptionally well in our market. We've announced the intention to have a DS library of games in the Wii U eShop. We're looking forward to that, so the pipeline is there. I do think what many of your readers don't recognize is there is significant work to take a game that was launched on a previous platform and make it compatible on the current platform, whether we're talking Wii U or 3DS, but we're committed to Virtual Console. I'm fortunate that the Americas are the strongest region in terms of driving Virtual Console sales, so for us it's a vibrant piece of the business.

Were you holding out for some big Virtual Console news during E3, or are you happy with the level of commitment Nintendo has shown towards the service at present? You know what to do — post a comment and let the world know what you think.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

Still waiting for dragon quest IX ds, on VC! I would buy F-Zero and Pikmin 2 on VC too.

outburst

outburst said:

Wow Americas have better sales on VC games? No wonder NA have most of the games I wanted to be released on EU.

River3636

River3636 said:

I was totally hoping for gamecube games to be announced. I know ds is coming. The virtual console library is expanding, but is still not up to its potential.

Poki

Poki said:

How much work can it really be to get a SNES or GBA game working on a new platform? Free emulators do it almost as well.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I'd love to see Gamecube games announced, but I realise they have far bigger priorities and I'm glad they focused on those. Let's face it, not many people will buy a Wii U to play VC games. What does frustrate me is the lack of NES and SNES games being released. They have the emulator up and running, there would be so little effort to put out all the games.

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

Confirms what I always have said, releasing Virtual Console games takes much more work than pressing a button and uploading an old game. My question is, why do they waste that effort on many of the less than stellar games when they have such a huge library of high quality first party games that fans are begging for?

electrolite77

electrolite77 said:

Yeah Reggie, so much effort to get N64 games (which the Wii had at launch) working on the entirely backwards-compatible Wii U.

Don't patronise us.

Emblem

Emblem said:

We get 1-2 games a week every week without fail so people can't complain about that. The things people seem to complain about is the lack of N64 games and less throwaway releases like the sports games.

Totally forgot about DS games incoming, if they have features better then the originals and the price is right I may pick some up dispite owning a 3DS.

xj220_afiles

xj220_afiles said:

Seriously, i really like VC but they are so slow ! They should just bring back the whole library available on wii to wii u and continue from this point.

BooJoh

BooJoh said:

@ShadJV Trying to figure out how Nintendo makes these choices is pointless. Just look at the 3D Classics we got compared to the 3D Classics demo reel they showed at E3. People would've bought up stuff like SMB3, SMW, Castlevania, etc like candy, instead we get freaking 3D Classics Urban Champion?

GanonDorf

GanonDorf said:

I understand that it's a lot of work to release new VC games, but I cannot understand why not all Wii VC games aren't released for Wii U yet. They've already done most work there. I want N64 VC releases with HD upscaling option!!!

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

I'm curious, do they port every VC game individually, or do they have an emulator for, say, SNES games in general that they can just use to play any SNES ROM on the Wii U?

GanonDorf

GanonDorf said:

I suppose they have one emulator for each platform, but that still requires much testing, creating digital manuals in different languages etc.

tysonfury

tysonfury said:

Any/all of the Square SNES RPGs would keep me happy for now, they've been out in Japan for a year

BooJoh

BooJoh said:

@Moshugan I'm guessing they have a base emulator, but they tweak it for each game if anything needs fixing and include it in each game seperately. Otherwise why are NES ROMs taking up 30+MB each on my system?

Mahe

Mahe said:

Even with GBA games, Wii U Virtual Console is simply too sparse and quiet.

readyletsgo

readyletsgo said:

Thats a flat out lie Reggie and we all know it. Come on, it does not take time to get a VC game working on the Wii U, of course it takes time to play through to make sure its all working, but I feel, maybe, hire some more staff for the VC maybe? I have heard you have a very small staff amount in the US, here in Europe and in Japan, that seems to be the problem, as far as I can make out at least. The drip feeding of VC games is shocking, and the calibre of games is dumpster truck bad.

Get the Finger out NoE, NoJ and EoA. You are loosing money hand over fist with the state of the VC on the WIi U. All the games that are on the Wii's VC should be on the Wii U as of last summer by now.

If you do not want to put up Gamecube games on there, then just come out and say it and HD/remaster the best Gamecube games and let us know. Charge us €40 for each one, then its done and we will all stop asking for Gamecube games on the Wii U, just like PS2 games are on the PS3 'VC' as of 7 years ago.

hiptanaka

hiptanaka said:

@Peach64 It's also a publishing rights issue, I think. Nintendo published games would probably be easy to put on Virtual Console. But the third parties probably have to be convinced, which is probably hard if your game is to be released back to back with Super Mario World or something like that.

Blue-Thunder

Blue-Thunder said:

I'd like to see them sort out the FX chip issue with the SNES emu. Then they could release Stunt race FX. I won't hold my breath. :-)

I think Nintendo's next home console will have GCN & N64 support because for some reason they're going to skip this generation.

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

Gamecube, N64 and wii HD redux games please. ASAP.
Adding Sega Saturn later including JAP games such as radiant Silvergun and rerelease ikaruga, which would be AMAZING in HD

AG_Awesome

AG_Awesome said:

I was hoping for some 3ds VC news. Finally adding GBA games would be a nice start. I also wanted gbc/super game boy color options for GB games and button remapping.

baba_944

baba_944 said:

Actually, what he says really is true. IT takes so much time to create and test a game for the newest emulator. Even the newest emulators can't run most games bug-free. So be patient.

MAB

MAB said:

When they release Gamecube games I will enjoy reading the angry posts of NL users needing to go and buy a HDD ;)

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

As much as I love the VC and retro gaming, the amount of media backlash Big N would've gotten at E3 for spending time on "old" games with the VC would've been ridiculous. I'm glad they touted the new stuff.

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

That being said... an HD version of Skies of Arcadia would probably cause me to use up all my vacation time. A man can dream.

NinjaWaddleDee

NinjaWaddleDee said:

My most wanted games:

Gamecube - Star Fox Assault, F-Zero GX, Pikmin 1 and 2, Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door. I own all of the other popular cube games. :p

DS - SUper Mario 64 DS, Pokemon series, Mario Kart, Square Enix RPGs.

SahashraLA

SahashraLA said:

I still think it's hilarious that people genuinely think that getting a Wii VC game to run on the Gamepad is as easy as grabbing an emulator off the Internet and dropping ROM files into it. HILARIOUS.
Not sure if anyone has ever looked at those emulators, but for one, aside from a handful of DS ones and some GBA ones, 90% of emulators support one console of handheld. And even then, the bug testing takes years. Heck, the 'best' ones have debug and reversion histories of nearly a decade. It took over 4 years to develop and distribute the first RetroN.
Should Nintendo have a small, young team specifically for VC games? I don't think the market would improve that dramatically if they did. Should Nintendo add more platforms? Again, I just don't see people buying a system, even if the VC library were extensive. Would either of those things hurt Nintendo? Of course not. But whether we like it or not, the VC isn't a priority and won't be until both 3DS and Wii U have righted their ship. 3DS is doing well in terms of total systems sold (compared to the PSP vs DS battle, the Vita vs 3DS never really happened). But for Wii U, Nintendo's focus is new games and selling systems. PSP's top selling games? All digital. Why? They don't make PSP retail titles anymore. None of those sales are selling more PSP's though. Sure, VC titles are a nice distraction, but if putting out a couple GC or N64 games means Zelda U quality games face the same delays Pikmin 3 and Game and Wario (among the countless indie, 2nd and 3rd party games) faced, I'm fine with dealing with indies and clearing my backlog between the the truly substantial releases Nintendo does have.
I mean, I would just DIE to have such diverse options as Halo, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Crysis, Far Cry, Doom, Wolfenstein, Dishonoured and Metro.
Or Tomb Raider, The Last of Us, Uncharted, Infamous, Sunset Overdrive, Arkham Knight, Lords of Shadow 2 and Max Payne.
Or EA's rousing NHL, NFL, FIFA, Need for Speed, NCAA, MMA, and whatever legitimate company they decided to run into the ground this year.
And then, on top of that, have all my friends' vocabularies consist of profanity, sexual and racial slurs oh and they'd probably be 12-15 years old. As that appears to be 'modern' gaming's adherent mental age. God forbid an adult gamer could play the same game as a five year old and not only not be ridiculed for his or her choice but to appreciate the timelessness of said product, able in their matured state of being to take away an entirely different experience.
The day gaming began to attempt to qualify a system's quantity of software as it's claim to legitimacy was the day gaming lost it's right to legitimacy.

LDXD

LDXD said:

Better choice of nes/SNES games more of the classics less of the junk
N64, GameCube, DS games

Morph

Morph said:

Moan moan moan, can't people just be happy with what they've got. We've just had the biggest game expo of the year with some great game announcements yet some on here and probably elsewhere too just love a good moan.

If you want n64 gamea so much, here's an idea, go and buy an n64

electrolite77

electrolite77 said:

It's funny to see the excuses. It takes time, you need patience. No, they need to hire more staff. But as Nintendo see the VC as something only long term fans are interested in, they don't see it as worth a bit of investment in return for users cash (though of course they will take that cash, multiple times for the same ROM in fact). Some of them fans are so happy about being gouged they'll even dutifully defend the company....

JakeShapiroAdmin

JakeShapiro said:

I can't imagine N64 emulation is THAT difficult since Wii could do it. Not to mention all the great NES/SNES games that have been released on VC in Japan and Europe but not here in NA.

baba_944

baba_944 said:

@JakeShapiro Yeah, but the Wii emulation couldn't handle Star Fox or Super Mario World 2 due to the lack of prowess of the Wii.

EDIR: Sorry if that was off topic of your comment.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@Morph I don't want to have a n64 hooked up to my TV along with all my other stuff I rather just have that choice through the Wii u much easier
As far as being happy what with we got, as far as v-console games we got nothing
Especially the "good games" I'm tempted to just get all them on my PC but I rather not do that seriously I rather give Nintendo my money for classic games you would think they would want that wouldn't you?

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Third party support largely drying up in the west is not helping here. Square Enix, what do I need to give for you to care about the west, also Konami what do I need to do for you to release Hudson content? Nintendo does not have a lot else to release without going into uncharted territory like Zapper games (I know many emulators have on-screen crosshairs but I think that makes the games too easy as the original releases lacked these).

As for NES and SNES. The additional frame of delay on the gamepad is irritating (post a screenshot on Miiverse, the gamepad one is a frame behind the TV one...that is before accounting for the 1 frame transmission delay so really it is 2 frames behind the action) as it has no reason to exist.

Regarding N64. They were all translated into German meaning Europe will be stuck with sub-par 50Hz versions (heres an interesting thing, the Zelda Bonus discs could be played in German but only ran at 60Hz) and stuttering image.

@baba_944 I think Super-FX chip is a legal matter at this point in time as Nintendo were not the creators. The chip patent should expire soon and Argonaut died a while back (but maybe someone bought rights).

FragRed

FragRed said:

Oh this is getting ridiculous. You say "significant work to take a game that was launched on a previous platform and make it compatible on the current platform, whether we're talking Wii U or 3DS" but yet there are emulators on the internet which seem to have little problem running SNES and NES games.

I have said it before many times, they managed to get them out on the Wii in the bucket loads, across a much larger number of platforms. So what is the difference with the Wii U that makes it so much harder to emulate onto?

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

After that big tease in the presentation, I was certainly expecting Mother 3. Alas, no such luck.

I basically want them to announce that game already, plus N64 and Gamecube VCs. And the original SNES Donkey Kong Country triogy, of course, but that is not gonna happen.

Link506

Link506 said:

"I do think what many of your readers don't recognize is there is significant work to take a game that was launched on a previous platform and make it compatible on the current platform, whether we're talking Wii U or 3DS"
Well that I never knew. I thought it I would be very easy because it's not like they have to make a whole new game. They don't even need to rename the game, they need to take the old one and slap it onto the new system. But maybe it's more than that...

Link506

Link506 said:

eltomo

eltomo said:

I love all retro gaming news, the only one we got from E3 was Grim Fandango HD. I 'm pumped for, but it would be nice to hear about n64 titles, I'd rather that than gamecube speculation.

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

The Wii VC is already so huge, there really aren't many games I would want to come out. I just wish they could streamline it so I don't have to hop into Wii mode in order to access my giant VC library.
My #1 VC request:Zero Mission.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@baba_944 bsnes is perfect. (If it can be done by an amateur then Nintendo should be able to do it with all the extra information they have). The GBA emulator is very good. The rest should be at least as good as that. (No awful mandated filters for example).

Alucard83

Alucard83 said:

I think Nintendo is going to make a movement to a new system in a few years. Maybe thinking is it worth for all the license to re re release all? We don't know what happends behind closed doors. So that's my thinking when some stuff will not move forward.

MAN1AC

MAN1AC said:

They're struggling to get games on shelves right now so I'm not expecting a bunch of VC games this gen from Nintendo.

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

It looks like Gamecube is a long way off if at all. My only requests from the current consoles being used are:
Mario Kart Super Circuit
Mario Kart DS
Fire Emblem (GBA)
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon (DS)

Another point about Gamecube, they could maybe have a system update around the release of Smash Wii U that enables Gamecube discs to be played on the Wii U hence VC becomes less important.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

At least going by the test DS one that is going to be absolute rubbish like the SNES and NES ones.

Japan has most of the first party SNES stuff already. (And releases games in decent size chunks).

FragRed

FragRed said:

@Alucard83 Nintendo did say they are to be announcing new hardware in a couple of years, so maybe that is the case. But this isn't something that just started happening. And don't tell me Sega wouldn't want their games on VC for Master System and Mega Drive, think of all that money they could make.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

After development, digital manuals in each language, age ratings submission, licensing, copyright paperwork, testing, etc I'm sure it is a lot more effort/cost for each game than most people think. Furthermore, emulation for N64 is a real bear as anyone who's dabbled in it can attest. At the end of the day, I doubt VC is a big money maker for Nintendo, so it's more of a goodwill gesture to longtime fans. I'd like to see more games as much as everyone, but you think about all the projects Nintendo is working on... I imagine they are spread pretty thin these days and making less money besides with higher dev costs and decreased sales. Now I'm depressed.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

I think Nintendo is trying to develop the eShop so that moving forward, all consoles/handhelds can access and play all games from the same eShop. If they do it correctly then when "next console" launches all games will be available day 1

whodatninja

whodatninja said:

America huh? It's probably because US does not have to worry about getting bogged down PAL versions. (Which i still refuse to buy)

But it's good Nintendo haven't forgotten about Virtual Console, a big reason why I bought a Wii.

ZenTurtle

ZenTurtle said:

It's simple emulation. We know the 3ds runs ds games (emulating with the carts as the rom) and gba games. Why not snes, n64 or even gc games? And the wii u runs the lot. Why not? Why not? Why not? Why not? Why not? Why not? Why not? Why not? Why not? Why not? Why not? Why not? Why not? Why not? Why not? Why not? Why not? Why not? Why not? Why not? Why not?

snoox

snoox said:

To my surprise I do not like or play any VC games I cudnt even get into Earthbound. I was always asking for GBA games but now that they have sum I feel no desire to buy them. They shud just port all the GameCube games I mean obviously the Wii U can handle it

ScorpionMG

ScorpionMG said:

people don't realise that it needs time to test the whole game to work on the tv & gamepad without framerate drops. Yet i don't realise why they bring sports games from snes/nes? i mean, they all suck.

XyVoX

XyVoX said:

Where's the N64 i have to say that's very strange after all this time.

Kujibiki

Kujibiki said:

Oh Nintendo, you're so nice, paying attention to the VC!
Does that mean that you will finally stop porting garbage nobody wants to play like Donkey Kong Jr. 3? Does that mean that you will finally bring us some decent games on the 3DS VC?
It probably doesn't...

iphys

iphys said:

I know Nintendo wants to put their focus on the Wii U, but I really don't think anyone is going to buy a Wii U to play GBA and DS games they could play on a much cheaper DS Lite. Handheld VC should be for 3DS to maintain its portability. If they want to get people to buy a Wii U, GameCube VC would be much more exciting.

Nintendo_Ninja

Nintendo_Ninja said:

Just keep putting a steady stream of games to the Eshop every month and I'll be happy. I'd buy tons of GameCube and DS games though.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

hm... though I want to fully believe him but... i don't. They stated last year that they know the VC service was poor and that they'd improve it and well... after a year, it is still basically the same. yeah sure we got some GBA games but it is still the drip release of games that are essentially improved Roms. Like the VC is pretty much a glorified emulator and it honestly cannot be that hard to make a new Miiverse community nor make it that hard for the save states and such as it would be literally copy paste... If even that. Like you didn't see this guy of treatment to the VC on the Wii but for some reason, the Wii u gets it. I don't know, i am not fully convinced in his statement.

audiobrainiac

audiobrainiac said:

Listen UP world, here's what I think! ;) Thier level of commitment has been great. I'm with everyone in wishing there was snes and gba on 3DS. THAT would improve MY quality of life ;) I also hope at some point they finally tie all purchases to Network ID's, 'cause if I ever lose/break my 3DS, hundreds of dollars lost.

odd69

odd69 said:

I would love to see Nintendo release a steady stream of content on VC. Those DS games on WiiU would be nice, DS has a large selection. It would keep me at the console on a regular basis instead of investing in the psn.

piggie_pie

piggie_pie said:

My two most favored GameCube games

• Paper Mario
  • Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
    Bring these to the VC and my life will be complete... Oh and what odd69 said!
unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I don't even like the way DS runs on the 3DS for some games (Like Metal Slug 7).

GBA on the Wii U / Gameboy / GBC / Game Gear seem to be done pretty well.

All the rest don't seem to be. (Neo Geo on the original Wii was ok until you switched to MVS difficulty). TG16 on the original Wii was great for a few games (Bomberman '94 and Rondo of Blood) but the rest had that awful filter.

Greninja

Greninja said:

It's crap right now. Needs N64 and more NES games for me. And cross buy between wii u and 3ds.

Noonch

Noonch said:

Since the GBA games are starting to flow I want to see Nintendo work with Konami to get Ninja Five-O released for VC. I missed it the first time, it can't be worth the Ebay pricex.

blythemanc

blythemanc said:

@Moshugan To my knowledge, every game is a separate project and entity. But it's hard to imagine they don't have a custom framework in the background running the game, just like an emulator, so who knows, maybe it is an emulator and is packaged with a ROM with a few custom tweaks to make sure it runs right, who knows.

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

@odd69 There is a steady stream of VC games released (vast majority of the time is 1-2 per week) as "steady" means constant. It's just that the quantity is too little.

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

There was also a lack of 3DS announcements at E3, I think there will be a 3DS, system update, and VC focused Direct in either late June or early July.

Vhyper1985

Vhyper1985 said:

Sounds like Reggie kinda sidestepped the question to be honest, yes expectations were high with the gamecube adapter announced but N64 support was "coming soon" at launch let alone years after.. that & Nintendo keep hinting at Gamecube support but we've still not had any concrete info on it.

Personally I'd like to see the Sega, NeoGeo & Turbografx stuff return as well, heck Japan have PC Engine support in place already. Having these setup on the WiiU over here would mean we could get more VC titles instead of the small trickle we are getting right now...

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

I understand that it must be work emulating a game to work legally on a system compared to the other method that 3/4 of us knows but not allowed to discuss. Combine with the legal side such as copyrights, publishing, etc., I can see why it would take time.

With that said, I wish they can focus more on N64 games. Out of all the Nintendo consoles, the N64 is the only one I owned/played the least games to. Mischief Makers and Mystical Ninja starring Goemon would be nice especially when they have Goemon for the snes and (sign) gameboy VC.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Glad to hear that the GBA games are selling well.

Regarding Virtual Console I always see demands of faster, more, more, more but do you realize that it's simple time/quality/cost issue? Nintendo knows how well or poorly these sell. You could put more people on a team to knock these out faster, sure, but Nintendo has to PAY these people, right? As costly as these games seem, Nintendo is interested in profit (especially now that they have been bleeding so much money) and it's pretty simple mathematics. There are only so many Wii Us and there is only a small fraction of people that want to buy old games. They need to make a return or the whole virtual console thing just fails and goes away.

You want it fast and inexpensive and high quality. What you might not realize is that most projects are only going to compete if the focus is on two of those 3.

As a side note, I do wish companies and governments and organizations would become more transparent. People are losing touch with the value of products and services. The value is hidden behind ad-supported media, cheap products used to draw people into a store, all-you-can-consume for a subscription price, subsidies, taxes, using people's data to sell behind the scenes. Nothing is nearly as cheap to make as you think it is. It's just you don't understand HOW you are paying for things.

JRAACHS

JRAACHS said:

@Poki you must realize how much coding work it took to create the environment for GBA, NES, SNES, GC & DS emulators on PC. It took several years to get the environment set up, and of course waiting for the average PC to be able to smoothly run them. Now think about coding a game written for a different gaming OS and trying to make it work on a brand new gaming OS, and you can see that Nintendo has done marvelously, because these VC titles run flawlessly with no screen tearing. Even though they have access to all the tools and the heart of every gaming OS they've made, the ability to make it work without error, having save states, mappable control schemes, and even include the original manual PDF, I congratulate them, and wish them luck on the DS nightmare, because to this day, even on the worlds best PC, DS emulators still have issues.

LDXD

LDXD said:

For nes I'd like to see classics like star tropics 1&2, crystalis, battle of Olympus, faxanadu also all the final fantasy and dragon warrior games, wizards & warriors 1-3, gauntlet, immortal and probably a bunch more
SNES Actraiser 1-2, all the FF games, soul blazer, dragoon, super Mario RPG, wonders from Ys, illusion of Gaia, shadow run, Lufia, star ocean, and chrono trigger
I knows there's more but this is a start
Come to think of it maybe some of these games are already available on Wii VC I haven't looked as I don't have a Wii anymore but can you purchase Wii vc games from the Wii u going to Wii mode ? I haven't tried to do this

Jahir

Jahir said:

I'm loving the VC so far. Between big games, eShop games and VC I always have something good to play.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

The Wii U has been out for 19 months and the Virtual Console for the Wii still has a far better collection of games to choose from. That's insanity, come on Nintendo - get to work!!!

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

@LDXD You can still purchase anything available on the Wii shop in the Wii Mode of the Wii U. But you have to go into the Wii Mode when you want to play them and you are restricted to the Wii controls (No Gamepad, No Pro Controller). For me, it generally it too much of a hassle since I normally play on the Gamepad.

(I know you can play on the Gamepad in Wii mode, but that still requires a second controller. Plus you have to figure out how to comfortably set the Gamepad up and deal with the small screen from a distance. There is also the requirement to actually have the TV hooked up or tuned to the Wii U input to start Wii mode which amazingly I find myself in the situation of a lot.)

Kirk

Kirk said:

It hasn't forgotten about it but it apparently doesn't have a clue how to actually make the best out of it.

JJtheTexan

JJtheTexan said:

Talk is cheap. Nintendo is sitting on a gold mine and they're going after it by using a pickaxe instead of an industrial drill. I've said it many times — Nintendo's mistreatment and neglect of Virtual Console is inexcusable and the most-easily remedied problem with the Wii U and 3DS.

JJtheTexan

JJtheTexan said:

MAB

MAB said:

You could say the downfall of Wii U VC started when SEGA systems weren't announced... It just all collapsed from then on ;)

JarredBuzzo

JarredBuzzo said:

They should put out more VC games more frequently. Typically I chide people for saying they should rip-off Sony's ideas, but the public has spoken and it needs to happen. Make them cross-buy and give us subscriptions.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

People are getting really demanding. As I said before, too many VC releases per week will inevitably confuse WiiU owners who didn't play them before. They wouldn't know what could be their thing, and at the same time would be overwhelmed by excessive release flooding.

@readyletsgo Well, good thing you seem to know just how much time it takes. M2 could benefit from your insight... /sarcasm

bonham2

bonham2 said:

This is the problem. Why would this take so long to do? If it's so hard to do, how did they pump out so many games for Wii each and every week? They obviously don't have the same commitment they once had to the VC. It's a real shame. They should have people working on this and only this. In addition, these games should be working on both Nintendo systems and all future Nintendo systems. At this rate, they'll have a pathetically small library by the time the next system comes out, at which point they'll just sell us Super Mario Bros all over again.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding of what emulators are and what it takes to get them working. The statement that it takes a lot of work is half true. On major disadvantage that unofficial emulators have is that they are trying to reverse engineer a system with little to no documentation. Nintendo on the other hand has intimate knowledge of the system, exact technical specifications, and years of programing experience on each system. That's where most of the bugs in unofficial emulators come from, they're guessing at how a system works but they don't know for sure.

I saw it implied in some comments that it's somehow harder to build an emulator for one OS than another. That's simply not true. An emulator is software that reads raw binary data which is machine code, and translates that code into the machine code of another system. So yes they only work on one OS at a time, but that's true of all programs. Every compiler only knows how to output native machine code for whatever OS it's designed for. That's why for example there's a different c++ compiler for windows, mac, linux, IOS etc.

Once a core emulator is coded the bulk of the work is done. Each game needs to be tested for their own quirks and it's own specific emulator tweaked to fix it. However, they're not programing emulators from scratch every time.

So it does take some work, but not as much as some people seem to believe, and it's also true that nintendo isn't really taking the VC as seriously as they could. Most nes and snes games work on a core emulator with no tweaks. If they really wanted to they could certainly put out a lot more games than they currently are.

biglittlejake

biglittlejake said:

I still don't think I will wait. I want to play Ocarina of Time, Majoras Mask and others that require me getting a classic controller. Though they have released some good ones on the Eshop it could be years before the 64 is on the eshop.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@Darknyht thanks for the information yeah does seem like a hassle they really should find a way so we don't have to go into Wii mode

MAB

MAB said:

@bonham2 Come on now mate, you and I both know how much you like paying for Urban Champion & Spelunker everytime Nintendo releases a new system ;)

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

@baba_944 They could run Star Fox and Yoshi's Island just fine. The reason that they didn't was a licensing issue. The Super FX chip used in both games is owned by Argonaut.

bonham2

bonham2 said:

@MAB I have never purchased those games. But you know what...I MIGHT actually consider a game like Spelunker if I could play it on both consoles and download it on both my Wii Us and be guaranteed to keep it on my next console for free.

Ps4all

Ps4all said:

This is ridiculous. Two bit android app makers can make emulators for these games. I don't believe the extremely talented engineers at Nintendo are having trouble with emulation. It's about money, they want to release games slowly to make sure they sell. Oh, and I totally bought Tecmo bowl on 3ds and ice hockey on wii u. I would love to see Nintendo release a deluge of VC games.

mercurio2054

mercurio2054 said:

@JRAACHS IT'S like you say... different OS and Architecture.
and one more time like you say.... they took a long time to get a good working emulator.

Melkac

Melkac said:

You know what they should release? Release both Mother 3 and Fire Emblem 12 (Heroes of Light and Shadow) on the VC. They both have fantastic fan translations, just hire their translators and boom. One million downloads.

bluecat

bluecat said:

They are going to put DS games on the Wii U? Wouldn't those be more suited to the 3DS? :/

BertoFlyingFox

BertoFlyingFox said:

I've been happy with their VC releases but eventually I would like to see it progress into N64 and GC games playable on WiiU with the usual Miiverse integration and the suspend feature.

Still hoping to see Aria of Sorrow on the VC, would love to play that Castlevania again.

Cyberbotv2

Cyberbotv2 said:

A lot of complaining going on here. But this is business, when there is a bigger user base, there will be more VC games.

Haz

Haz said:

I would be fine if I had to continue going into Wii Mode to play some of my VC games if I could at least use the Gamepad as a controller. It's nice that we can now use its display, but I'd rather not have to prop it up and use my classic controller in order to play in bed or while lying on the couch.

Andremario

Andremario said:

Hopefully this means there's light at the end of the tunnel for possible GBA/SNES on 3ds but i'm not holding my breath.

super08mario

super08mario said:

@Haz You think it will be possible to play wii vc games on the game pad? It has all the same buttons......we can hope for it.....would it also be impossible to extend the range of the gamepad?

GamecubeComplex

GamecubeComplex said:

@baba_944 I always heard it was because it used the Super FX Chip, and some other company had the rights to it. If it was because of that, they would have released those two games by now (and I don't mean GBA Yoshi).

MinecraftGreek

MinecraftGreek said:

Still hoping for a broader range and more consistent releases of quality VC titles.

Would love to see Gamecube and Wii titles make the cut too.

MinecraftGreek

MinecraftGreek said:

Would love to see Gamecube and Wii titles make the cut too.

Yellowtails

Yellowtails said:

I do hope they can put n64 (along with the n64 games we haven't already got for that system) and gamecube games on VC. I do want gamecube games more though since they haven't been on the VC previously. I do prefer to play gamecube games on an actual gamecube, but I would like the option to buy them digitally to see how it is like if I get a Wii U.

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

If Nintendo wants us to believe they haven't forgotten the Virtual Console, I'd highly suggest supporting the Virtual Console. You can't let Capcom do all the sales and specials heavy lifting. One release per week without even cracking into the N64 and GC libraries? Tsk tsk.

electrolite77

electrolite77 said:

Bored of hearing weak, patronising and disingenuous platitudes. Bored of hearing apologists swallow them whole and regurgitated them. Wii U VC is far worse than on the Wii when that machine was 20 months old. No more excuses Nintendo. None of them ring true.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

"Our commitment to virtual console is exceptionally strong."

Meanwhile on the 3DS VC releases in Europe this week: Nothing
With over 10 confirmed titles coming to the VC in the future one wonders why we still have weeks where we get nothing (or just NES games).

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

Genesis? Master System? Arcade? Turbografx? Amiga? Sega CD? 32X? N64? Saturn? Dreamcast? Gamecube?

There's a lot waiting in the wings.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

I think he's full of it.

1. If it's such a process to port, then why does Japan have so many more VC titles? If anything, it should be at the same level of production as North America then.

2. If North America is the best buyer for Virtual Console, then why do they keep giving us the games well after Europe and Japan? By his logic, North America should at the least be getting them around the same time as Europe and Japan.

Like I said, pretty sure he's full of it.

World

World said:

Well, I think what he says is at least SORT OF true. I'm no programmer, but people who say "dude, I could play all these games on my PC for FREEEE" miss the point where the PC runs on much more flexible software? Maybe it's not that hard, but I imagine it's not as simple as pushing a button on the ol' Retro Game Printer.

But then I also really don't think they're THAT committed, because I don't believe the Virtual Console makes any money outside of the Mario games and those few troopers who buy every single game.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@World has nothing to do with the different OS's, an emulator just translates one machine language into another. Machine instructions are very simple, they're things like add, multiply, shift, store(put some number of bytes in a memory location), load(retreive some number of bytes from a memory location), jump(change address).

I forget what a modern cpu core has but the nes for example has like 140 possible instructions(a lot are copies, basically different ways to add and such). It's basically exactly like building an emulator on the pc. Interestingly depending on the external libraries used if you just got a wiiU compiler and ran it on pc emulator code the bulk of it would work(assuming a wiiU compiler compiles c++ code). For the technical yes the whole program would fail to compile, but you wouldn't have to change most of the code.

Shadraw

Shadraw said:

I have been up and down about the VC. I like what they have done with it so far and I am excited for DS games to come. I am typically unhappy about the inconsistancy that is shown with it. Game releases don't really seem to follow any predictable pattern. There may be a fair amount released for a few weeks and then nothing for a while. I was a little disappointed about the lack of mention at E3 but so many other good things were revealed and shown that it's hard to be mad over it. At least me be mad.

ecco6t9

ecco6t9 said:

Until GBA or Neo Geo Pocket games are announced for the 3DS I will be disappointed in every Nintendo Direct.

ZenTurtle

ZenTurtle said:

@blythemanc
It's an emulator. That's it. If each one is a separate project, we'd have games with vastly different features. Instead, most vc games are very similar, and it really is just laziness and the restriction of supply to push up demand of these overpriced releases.

ZenTurtle

ZenTurtle said:

@Yorumi
I think it's an adapted version of c++, more in tune with java or c#, and without c++'s weird and annoying bits.
Nintendo is playing us for fools over vc's workload, as I have been saying for ages especially over vc's not so very competitive pricing

paburrows

paburrows said:

I'm happy with the release schedule so far, there's far too many great games for me to play through that I hardly have the time or money to get all that's being released as it is.

paburrows

paburrows said:

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@ZenTurtle it'd be interesting to know what it really is. If they do increase the abstraction to make it more like java or c# you essentially lose everything that makes c++ great, and it's begs the question why not just use c# or java. The point of c++ is to allow for such close control over the hardware you achieve a code execution speed much better than more abstract languages like c#.

Granted it has to be modified in some way, they're not implementing a full compiler for any specific language.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

I've definitely noticed an increase in quality output for Wii U Virtual Console ever since the new fiscal year began in April.

As long as they keep the pace they've set recently, I'll be happy.

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

Just get those N64 and GameCube games out there. Heck maybe even some hard to find Wii games could make the cut.

Grimlock_King

Grimlock_King said:

Virtual console needs Sega Genesis and Turbo Grafx 16 games like they had on the wii shop but better. We will most likely see Gamecube games before we ever see N64 software on Wii U.

ogo79

ogo79 said:

oooh here we go
community gif time activate!
Untitled
keep them crybabies in check reggie. :)

maceng

maceng said:

At Nintendo:

A while ago you said that customer's feedback meant nothing to your decisions regarding the direction of the company. I hope that you changed your tune, specially after the, as you said, great support for the VC in the Americas (I know, I bought 4 games so far, and wanting to buy more as long as they are tailored for the 3DS and not the WiiU).
Having said that, why just don't take the top 20-25 games for every self-respect company (like IGN, Nintendo Life, and son), make a pool of about 30 games and start from there? Do the same for GBA, GBColor, GameCube and N64. There, you have like a 100 games ripped for selling to the Nintendo faithful and for any self-respected gamer out there.

Iggly

Iggly said:

How about they make an update where they make the Gamepad work as a classic controller for the Wii Mode and call it a day? It would solve everyone's troubles(Though not for me since they don't sell any Nintendo Points Cards at my place anymore).

maceng

maceng said:

Question for all of you: Can I access the Wii SHop directly from the Wii U interface, without having to access the Wii mode?

Windy

Windy said:

Yeah they pretty much have forgotten VC oh and 3d classics as well. Who knows what they are doing its like free money rolls eyes I don't buy for a second that VC games need to be re-programmed.

SuperMalleo

SuperMalleo said:

People are still mad that N64 games haven't arrived yet? I guess no one knows what the word patience is.

TerrapinJess

TerrapinJess said:

@Dreamz YES!! Thankfully someone else feels the same way. EU has it on 3DS too. That's where I want it now as I can, despite not wanting to, fire up Wii mode and play it there.

8BitSamurai

8BitSamurai said:

Untitled
Although on the Wii U, it would be more correct to say that it never was alive in the first place.

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

The only reason why America has the most sales is because they're sucking the money out of us. No one is going to see my #157 comment, but Nintendo is has fewer 1st Virtual Console games here than anywhere else in the world. EU gets Devil World, Japan gets everything, and we get nothing but the 3rd party games that are somehow also getting in PAL even though they never originally had it. (we never got Devil World nor Fire Emblem, yet we still don't get it)

TheWPCTraveler

TheWPCTraveler said:

The problem with Nintendo here is that there are so many titles on these systems that they could remake, and suck more money out of rather than put them out on the VC and make less.

They release games they won't even bother to remake/ make sequels to. For the worthy games...

Yellowtails

Yellowtails said:

@Mitsuko_Chan Nintendo 64 games should have been on the Wii U's VC from the start since they were on the Wii's VC at the beginning. Even if they had to be reprogrammed, they could have put at least one N64 game on the eshop within one year of the eshop being open.

World

World said:

@Yorumi All right! Thanks for explaining!

And I do really LIKE the idea of the Virtual Console, but I can also see why Nintendo doesn't put that much effort into it.

Joeyboots80

Joeyboots80 said:

I hope they bring Turbografx-16 (Pc Engine) and NeoGeo games to the Wii-U VC. Step up the VC releases Nintendo!

GhotiH

GhotiH said:

Reggie: It takes so much work to copy and paste a game! I mean, freeware emulators do it just fine, but heaven forbid we take the same effort to get all the games out there now! We really don't want your money!

Look, I know emulators have glitches, and that's fine. If a game has an issue, people can report it on Miiverse and Nintendo can patch it. But since 95% of these games will run perfectly, why aren't they all out? Why isn't every game that was on Wii VC not already on this? Why isn't even the N64 available yet? I was really hoping for the current lineup to be at least as good as what the Wii had in a similar span of time. Heck, by this time, I was hoping for Saturn, Dreamcast, and Gamecube Virtual Console.

And why not include GB and GBC games on Wii U? Why are they only on 3DS? Outside of N64 onwards, I think all games should be on both platforms. N64 and up would have control issues on the 3DS if they even could get them running at all, so I can understand that, but why no SNES on 3DS? Why no Genesis? WHY NO GBA?

Nintendo, why?