Super Mario Bros. 3 Is Warping To North American Virtual Consoles On April 17th

Posted by Damien McFerran

Nintendo of America confirms GBA Virtual Console lineup, too

It's been a long time coming, but Super Mario Bros. 3 finally has a release date for the North American Wii U and 3DS Virtual Console services.

Nintendo of America has confirmed that the classic NES game will launch on April 17th, priced at $4.99. Regarded by many Mario fans as one of the best entries in the whole series, Mario's third major outing on 8-bit hardware sold like cakes that are exceedingly hot when it launched more than 20 years ago. It's so good in fact that we probably don't need to review it — you'll just buy it regardless — but we will anyway, because we're dutiful like that.

As well as delivering this joyous news, Nintendo of America also revealed its release lineup for Game Boy Advance titles on the Wii U Virtual Console. As expected, the games are the same as those being released in Europe.

April 3rd

April 10th

April 17th

April 24th

So there you are — Nintendo's first GBA offerings for the Wii U Virtual Console, and a NES classic to enjoy. April is going to be quite a month for retro gamers — are you happy with the lineup?

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Sounds good to me; I'll consider getting WarioWare for Wii U VC just for Miiverse support alone, especially since it falls on my birthday. Mario & Luigi is also a possibility at some point. I'll get Super Mario Bros. 3 on 3DS VC eventually.

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

Golden Sun for 8, so nice, I would not have to pay 30ish for a new one then but I want GBA on 3DS and since I can't transfer it to 3DS or to the next handheld, I must pass. Its the only one there I want.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

Whats with the US prices for GBA games being so different to the UK prices they even have two pricing levels.

MikeLove

MikeLove said:

$7.99?! With tax, it's closer to $10 for me!

Good call Nintendo! If they were 4.99 I likely would have bought a few. For $10? Likely none.

majinx07

majinx07 said:

I'll finally get to try the Kirby & The Amazing Mirror game for the first time along with some other games on that list.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

@Damo I'm just wondering why its not priced the same as a SNES game at £5.49 that to me is reasonable but going almost a quid more I don't really understand how they price these.

Darthziggy

Darthziggy said:

Totally not excited for the $8 price tag, and also the fact that I have half of these on my 3DS from the Ambassador Program already. That said, I'll probably get both versions of Mario 3 (Wii U at the $1 discount, too).

Also, SNES Yoshi's Island >>>>> GBA version. Ugh.

SpaceKappa

SpaceKappa said:

I can't seem to find an answer anywhere, but does ANYONE have any idea why NES games are so dark on Wii U? SNES games look GORGEOUS running on the Wii U's Virtual Console, but NES games look awful. The screen just seems to turn really dark and it makes the games look really bad. I'd love to play more NES games on Wii U if they looked as good as SNES games, but man, they look OOOGLAY.

ReshiramZekrom

ReshiramZekrom said:

Also, it seems to me that they're releasing Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island instead of the original because they can't figure out how to emulate the Super FX 2.

rjejr

rjejr said:

So glad to see SMB3, I don't want it but now all the comments about it can go away.

I was happy to see that $4.99 price in the article as I thought that would be the price for all the VC games. $7.99 might be too much for me for 10 year old handheld games, though credit to Nintnedo's for actually picking games that reviewed well rather than the lame stuff we sometimes get on VC. I don't want any of the $6.99 ones.

On 2nd thought, I'll pay $8 for Superstar Saga and Golden Sun, RPGs are almost always worth the money.

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

History being made here, folks: Nintendo of America actually does something on Virtual Console in the same time frame as Nintendo of Europe.

outburst

outburst said:

@MAB except it's cheaper on the Wii U VC through Nintendo Network Premium. And can you play it on the gamepad controls on wii mode? I don't really know since I'm going all Wii U VC.

Edit: miiverse integration?

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I could not care less for the umpteenth rerelease of SMB3 either, but at least whiners will find something else to whine about.

The pricing for these GBA games is roughly the same for their SNES games, which makes sense. Of those I would get M&L and Golden Sun.

2Sang

2Sang said:

WONDERFUL! FINALLY, no more please undastand just good games. How hard was that nintnendo?

MagicBox

MagicBox said:

I'm sorry if this point has been beaten to death already, but has any Nintendo branch (America, Europe, Japan) stated exactly why they chose the Game Boy Advance over, say, the Nintendo 64? More importantly, have they said anything about why these aren't coming to the 3DS? I prefer to keep my handheld games on handhelds and console games on consoles.

Don't get me wrong, I'm super excited for this news (and I happen to think that $7-$8 is fair). I'm just genuinely baffled.

Diddy_kong

Diddy_kong said:

April 24 then. So glad that I held off on Yoshi's Subpar Island. $8 for the 1995 masterpiece or $44.99 for that 'New' piece of trash? Pretty easy decision.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

I'm happy about SMB3 if just to shut everybody up finally! :) Waiting to see how the GBA games look/perform (are they dim like 3DS, is there screen tearing/jerkiness like GBA Player?) before committing.

wicked636

wicked636 said:

Great.I plan on getting a Wii U tonight or in 2 weeks depending on cash.But iv ben wanting to play golen sun again for years i dont remember what happened to mine on gba but i never got another one.Advance wars was one i always wanted to try but never did.And mario and luigi i want to kick myself in the butt when i think about this myslef but i seen it in walmart for 20 bucks years ago and didnt buy it....My time on gba was spent mainly on pokeman.

justinluey

justinluey said:

This is a decent launch for Gameboy Advance games on the "Virtual Console", the line-up is good and the price is acceptable.

It will be interesting to see how these games look on the Gamepad, and if Nintendo adds any extra features.

If Nintendo is smart, they will eventually release these games on the 3DS, and allow people to "buy once, play anywhere". Then they would have a hit on their hands.

wicked636

wicked636 said:

@Pichubby I dont think anyone else answered this so i thought i would but i dont remeber much about it al i remember is i think its a turn based rpg.And it must have ben good for me to remember it from like 15 hears ago.id say look up gameplay on youtube and see what u think.There was another one on ggba and a third on ds.The ds one u can et on amazon for about 11 if u get onto these games.Sorry kinda ot off track there and couldnt give u a good answer.But hope u like it

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

SMB3 is released on my birthday, no less. cowinkidink? I think not! I'm also surprised on how cheap the GBA games are, I thought they'd be a bit more expensive.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

IT'S ABOUT FRIGGIN' TIME!

I'm also happy that I can download Superstar Saga in about a week too! I might even get Yoshi's Island just to see how it looks on the big screen.

ueI

ueI said:

I hope we get more GBA ports in addition to Yoshi's Island. I know we likely WON'T for games that are already on the VC. But it's a shame; most ports offer improvements over the originals.

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

I'm super excited we are getting Golden Sun so early, but why the hell are we not getting Golden Sun: The Lost Age so we have the whole story together?

@PrincessEevee9 Also, that freakin' soundtrack...o.o

Shworange

Shworange said:

Some great games coming out. While it's cool to be able to play them on my WiiU, I'd really like to play them on my 3DS as well.

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

Metroid Fusion will be worth it just to hear that soundtrack through proper speakers.

ericwithcheese2

ericwithcheese2 said:

I wonder if the reason these GBA games are coming out on Wii U instead of the 3DS is because half of those games were part of the 3DS Ambassador Program? Nintendo said they had no plans to release those GBA Ambassador games on 3DS for the general public as they were perks to appease those high paying early adaptors.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

As a 3DS Ambassador (I know there aren't many of us, but we are a high percentage of those who buy VC games) this lineup is very poor, cause, you know, we own half of the games.

I look forward to SMB3 and Advance Wars, so that's better than nothing.

Gold

Gold said:

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!! Also, I'm gonna get Golden Sun, Kirby&tAM, and obviously Super Mario Bros. 3.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

Bye Bye Ambassador status, half of our games can be bought on Wii U! Oh well, at least I still have them on my 3DS.

LUIGITORNADO

LUIGITORNADO said:

@MagicBox

They haven't. A guess would be they want to see how handheld games perform in sales on a home console, but that still doesn't mean we shouldn't be getting N64 games.

I bet our first N64 game will be MK64 a couple of weeks before MK8.

Lasermaster123

Lasermaster123 said:

Finally!!!

Although I have already played almost all of them. Glad to see that they are re-introducing amazing games like Advance Wars and Golden Sun. I hope that this inclusion can lead to new Advance Wars and Golden Sun games :D

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

Good thing there's so much hitting the eshop in April. It'll soften the fact that there are virtually no retail releases that month. O'm looking forward to replaying Super Mario Bros 3, Golden Sun, Metroid Fusion, Mario & Luigi, and Yoshi's Island. Also NES Remix 2 looks way better than the first one. May have to pick that one up as well.

Cevan

Cevan said:

At long last! I've been saving my last $5 on the eShop in anticipation of this, so it's nice to finally have a release date for it.

ericwithcheese2

ericwithcheese2 said:

@Knuckles You still have your ambassador status. These games probably will never come out for 3DS Virtual Console, so that still makes some worth in the ambassador program.

noctowl

noctowl said:

8 dollars seems like a fair price. I doubt you could find these games cheaper. The cheapest on amazon for metroid is 15.

@Chriiis why would they release both Golden Sun games on the same day? It would make more sense to release the sequel later on.

BigH88

BigH88 said:

A bit high on price but I've heard so much about advance wars that I have to check it out. Don't know anything about it other than it's a video game. :)

ikki5

ikki5 said:

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga ($7.99)
Metroid Fusion ($7.99)
F-Zero: Maximum Velocity ($6.99)
Golden Sun ($7.99)
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island ($7.99)

this just made my day :D

@ericflapjack
honeslty, the fact that those in the ambassador program had these for a LONG time and they still get them for free, I'd call that worth of having it and they should release them for sale to non ambassador 3DS's

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

@noctowl ...because, knowing them, who knows when the heck it will arrive(likely will take years). If they were able to confirm it to be later this year or something, that'd be one thing.

I bet plenty of people could also be swayed into picking them up if they were able to get the whole story in one go.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Finally! But...but...I still don't understand why we can't get the GBA games on the 3DS virtual console!

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Mrclaycoat

Mrclaycoat said:

I feel that $7.99 seems pretty steep for GBA games, no matter how great they may be. I feel that $4.99 would be more appropriate.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Yeah like was said the price point is kinda weird! Seems they're picking and choosing by popularity. With that said only the first weeks offerings and Golden Sun look interesting to me. Still with these priced so high imo what will ds prices be??

noctowl

noctowl said:

@Chriiis I see what you mean. But sadly nintendo confirming something doesn't hold a lot of weight either. Wasn't we suppose to get Mario 3 before the end of the year last year? But I never got to play golden sun 2, so I hope it does come out quickly.

Rafie

Rafie said:

Well well well NoA, you did something right. Oh wait...prices! Hmmm....well that'll be a complaint for another day. Glad to see the GBA stuff starting to roll out now.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@Unca_Lz That's probably too high but i can see that.

Still can't believe they're doing ds games considering you can walk into any Gamestop and pick up a copy pretty cheap! The only thing this might be good for is games like 999 and or TWEWY of which are priced pretty high still. That's even if they ever see the light of day as digital releases.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I might consider Golden Sun as well. Three already makes more money than the usual eShop card amount I get. Too bad money doesn't grow on trees.

noctowl

noctowl said:

People keep complaining about the price. Please show me where you can get these games cheaper. I found metroid for 15. Golden sun for 12. Adding in the convenience of not needing a gba, the batteries and all that 8 bucks is a steal. Besides, they charge 5 bucks for NES games(which I'll agree is overpriced) so did you really expect to get gba games for 5 as well?

allav866

allav866 said:

To be honest, I knew Nintendo would release SMB3 before NES Remix 2 came out, but this better be the start of NoA paying more attention to the Virtual Console.
Back to the GBA games, I'm still hoping for a 3DS release of these, but for now I will get Metroid Fusion. I just beat Metroid Prime 100% with the Fusion suit in the Trilogy, but I've never 100% completed Metroid Fusion. Aside from that, I may pick up Golden Sun. I never beat that one.
Also, with Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga, I used to play it on the GBA Player with my brother controlling Luigi's actions with a second GameCube controller, even for whenever Luigi was in front when not in battle. Please tell me I'm not the only one who's done this! It adds a lot to the game, and makes it feel like you're two brothers going on an adventure!

Shy_Guy

Shy_Guy said:

It's about time NoA,I'm just wondering why it took them so long to bring it here,since they lied to us that it was coming in 2013...

ToonLink795

ToonLink795 said:

Nice Game Boy Advance list here Nintendo now add these other great games which i own. Sword of Mana, Golden sun 2, Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories, Tales of Phantasia, Sonic Advance 1,2,3 Final Fantasy IV.

MikeLove

MikeLove said:

@noctowl

They are 10+ year old handheld games. It's ridiculous that they cost about 80% of what you would pay for the physical cartridge on the second hand market today, something which could then be resold again if you so desired.

Plus, all these games are easily obtained for free and played using 'other' methods, which we can't speak about here obviously. For $5-6 I would consider buying them, but at this price I'm fine with taking a pass.

noctowl

noctowl said:

@JohnRedcorn if a 1-2 dollar difference is stopping you from all the convenience of a digital copy then that's totally your call. But it's certainly not ridiculous. They've made a killing selling NES games for 5. It would be absurd for them to charge 5 for a GBA game.

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

Dang... I promised myself I wouldn't be tempted buy GBA games on WiiU since I still own a Micro and play it. But Amazing Mirror and Fusion on the TV... I just can't help but want to buy these again (even though I still own Fusion on GBA). What's wrong with me. Nintendo-addiction?

MikeLove

MikeLove said:

@noctowl

I have a feeling if they were $11.99 you would still be making the same argument.

For about the price of a GBA VC game, I could instead download a brand new Wii-U eShop indie game with better graphics, sound, and online features.
Nintendo thinking they can charge the same price for an archaic, decade old game from a handheld system is just greedy.

They would sell a lot more games if they were $6 each instead of $9.

Squid

Squid said:

Alright will people stop whining now? :P

But it's a good list. Though the only ones I might get are Golden Sun, Superstar Saga, and Advance Wars.

ShadowFox254

ShadowFox254 said:

I'll take Golden Sun. I've already have the rest, and $7.99 is a bit much. $5.99 would have been better.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

@JohnRedcorn
Metroid Fusion currently starts at $15 on Amazon. Golden Sun starts at $7.50. Yoshi's Island starts at $12. Advance Wars starts at $13. Mario & Luigi starts at about $11. $8 for a digital copy isn't a bad deal on any of them, especially considering the new features that will be included.

"I could instead download a brand new Wii-U eShop indie game with better graphics, sound, and online features."
When it's on sale. Few of those games start at lower than $10, with many selling for $15. Besides, better graphics and sound don't make a better game. Some of these GBA games are among the best.

rosebud

rosebud said:

I am fine with the lineup, but I just wish it would have been on 3DS as well.

JCnator

JCnator said:

That April lineup doesn't have any subpar game on it, which is great to hear. Getting all of them would cost slightly more than a premium Wii U retail game.

MikeLove

MikeLove said:

@TrueWiiMaster

You are comparing the fluctuating price of a physical cartridge (which could be found at yard sales, thrift stores, and other online places for $5-10 any given day) to a download with no collectible value or possibility for resale.

I knew someone would bring up 'gameplay', but that's not the point. The point was that something that is ten years old (and easily obtained online and played using other methods) and technologically inferior is selling for roughly the same price as a brand new HD game with more bells and whistles and online play. That ain't right.

MoonKnight7

MoonKnight7 said:

@TeeJay

Personally, I believe that it's a marketing campaign. It's supposed to add another element to boost sales on the Wii U. Hopefully the 3DS ones aren't too far away, as it clearly makes more sense on that platform, but you never know with Nintendo.

millarrp

millarrp said:

Well it looks like I will need to stock up on eStore credits in April. SMB3 plus several GBA titles....

TonyBoySP

TonyBoySP said:

And the extra e-reader levels from Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3??? Those will really be new things for many gamers... Instead of the classic NES version.... =(

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Anyone else worried this will be a one-month-long GBA dump of great games, and then.... not much else? Seems like they're putting a whole lotta good eggs in one basket. Reminds me of the Virtual Console Arcade roll-out. Lots of games all at once! And then.... well, not much else. Still: A good way to keep people happy before M(K8)ay.

neohopeSTF

neohopeSTF said:

Advance Wars and Golden Sun are the main GBA games I want, I all ready have most of them from the ambassador program and I have a cart of Mario and Luigi anyway. FINALLY though SMB3 in US only took a year of NES sports games before NA deserved it I guess.

Luigifan141

Luigifan141 said:

I kinda wish we got Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 instead so we can have stuff like (built-in) eReader levels, saves, and Mario Bros., but the original NES version is good, too.

anthonypokemon

anthonypokemon said:

Its about dang time that smb3 i coming out i just beat the wii version today unaware of this great news and i thought it was luck or something

brewsky

brewsky said:

Are we seriously complaining about prices? These are good prices! $8 for Superstar Saga? $7 for Kirby? Or are we all a bunch of penny pinchers that don't appreciate the value of a game?

FlaygletheBagel

FlaygletheBagel said:

I'll be buying most, if not all of these. Gotta show my support of the Virtual Console. Maybe if these sell exceptionally well it'll inspire Nintendo to put more effort into the VC.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

This put a smile on my face for 2 reasons. One, advance wars is the first to arrive and I never played that game before. Two, for 3 years in a row Nintendo releases good news/games on and around my birthday (17th), so yay.

Pichuka97

Pichuka97 said:

@SpaceKappa I don't understand either. I just prefeer buying my NES games on the 3DS because of that. It doesn't even look as sharp and is quieter than SNES games running on the Wii U. That, I really don't understand.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

@JohnRedcorn
Then you'll have to wait until you find the games you're looking for at a yard sale, thrift store, etc. The digital copies are cheaper than their used cartridges on Amazon, more convenient to obtain and play than cartridges, and have features the originals lack. If you'd prefer to save a few dollars by searching for cheaper copies without modern features, feel free.

These games are not easier to obtain on cartridge than on the eshop. You can either search for them in person, pay more for them online, or steal them (which isn't a legal option).

You'd have a point if not for the fact that these GBA games went for almost quadruple their digital price when they came out, and were well worth it. Their quality hasn't declined, even if they've gotten older. Besides, you're not paying for the technology of the game, but the game itself. And again, many eshop games sell for $15, almost double the price of these GBA games.

allav866

allav866 said:

(last night, in a previous topic:)
"Considering NoA's attitude toward the Virtual Console, not only do I think that we'll get this later than Europe, but that we won't see GBA games hit the system until May, or even later. I try to maintain a positive attitude, especially on NL, where there's a stunning amount of negativity toward Nintendo, but please understand my frustration isn't with Nintendo itself, but it's North American branch, where Reggie continues to troll us by keeping the 'Release SMB3' button hidden in the back of his desk drawer."
Reggie knew I was onto his scheme, and did all he could to prove me wrong on almost all accounts. I still think he's a troll.

Melkac

Melkac said:

@Darthziggy I agree. The GBA version doesn't even show the proper coloring of hidden red coins! They look like normal coins, yellow.
Nintendo y u do dis.

Melkac

Melkac said:

Also...wooh, Mario 3.
Not sure why so many people were demanding the game.

MikeLove

MikeLove said:

@TrueWiiMaster

You can buy 3D versions of Sega Genesis games, with added features and some of the best emulation I've seen (they run flawlessly and at full speed) on the 3DS for $2 + tax less than you can a bare bones GBA release on the Wii-U.

Sega is pricing it right, while Nintendo continues to remain out of touch with consumers.

SchamMan89

SchamMan89 said:

I never played Superstar Saga, but I've heard nothing but good things. I'm excited to play it.

I liked Advance Wars Dual Strike, so I'll pick up Advance Wars.

And even though I've played through them, I'll get Super Mario Bros 3 and Golden Sun.

Great month, Nintendo. Let's keep releases at THIS level...

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@noctowl Releasing both on the same day (With a tiny discount for getting both) cannot be a bad strategy. (I bought both Oracle games because of that otherwise I would have probably bought one or none).

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@JaredJ What makes the GBA version better than the All Stars one ? (Other than it has a lower resolution which is definitely worse - even more so when it is blown up to TV size).

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Different subject, but how come NL hasn't put out an article mentioning Donkey Kong Land is coming to the Japanese VC next week? Did I miss it? I would think that would be big news because of Nintendo removing the SNES Donkey Kong Country trilogy on the Wii VC.

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

w00t! Another $1 or so download for me, since I own it on the Wii. I have been wanting to replay SMB3 recently, so it's good I waited.

Alpha2797

Alpha2797 said:

$8 is a great price for GBA games. I was expecting them for $10. I'm glad that $2 was reduced from what I had originally thought these games were going to be released for.

Note: This is my personal opinion

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

@MAB
And yet nintendo fans continue to go cuckoo for mario puffs the moment it gets released again and again, as if they've never experienced it before. Oh look! NOW i can play it on the Wii U's VC, it's going to give new life on this classic and freshen up the entire experience! not. ;)

This game in VC form has already been available on the Wii Shop for like 5 years, there's nothing to get excited about, unless you're a blind raging fan boy that kneels before nintendo and thinks everything they do is GOLD, including these regurgitated offerings. lol Amazing classic no doubt, but i've already expereinced it again and AGAIN. have it on cart and on the Wii's VC, no need to quadro dip.

When are they going to release new VC games?.....The Wii U's VC is a bomb, with Earthbound being the only new release. What a joke.
The Wii generation was so much more exciting. booo

Also, not too crazy over how GBA games look on the 3DS's screens...You either get a tiny 1:1 screen or a blown up ugly one, that and GBA games look dimmer and less colorful VS playing them on a DS lite, which imo is the only way to fly. ;)

WiiChuck103

WiiChuck103 said:

about time SMB3 comes
by the way, OMG KIRBY AND THE AMAZING MIRROR METROID FUSION SUPERSTAR SAGA AND YOSHIS ISLAND!!!!

KoopaTrooper

KoopaTrooper said:

Hopefully this time it actually will get released. Would still like to know what the hold up was just to have a idea of what is going through Nintendo's head.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

@JohnRedcorn
According to your own argument, those games should be cheaper because they're older. Your whole argument depends on the idea that older games are worth less, and some of those Genesis games are twice the age of the oldest of these GBA games.

MikeLove

MikeLove said:

@TrueWiiMaster

It's about the value. GBA VC are barebone releases that cost more than older console games that have significant upgrades (3D, new play options, screen filters, etc).

You can buy Resident Evil 1-3 for $5.99 each on PSN and play them on both your PS3 AND a Vita for that price. Yet you still think $7.99 for a GBA game is fair? Come on. If Nintendo did a 'buy 2 get 1 free' promo I would take the leap, but $7.99 each is too much. I cringe when I think what they could possibly charge for an N64 or GameCube game if they end up releasing those on VC one day. $15-20 I bet....

Rect_Pola

Rect_Pola said:

Hmm... GBA is coming to both systems... Nintendo Network accounts apply to both systems...
I don't know if this was declared at any time (I figure there would have been more of stir if they had) but now would be a good time to set up buying a game for the account and accessing it through either system. Sony does it to inject interest in Vita. This could for help Nintendo the other way around. "Like that on your 3DS? You can play it on Wii U too!"

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

Wow, the amount of comments in here! You'd think Nintendo announced Starfox on Wii U, or something actually exciting!

MikeLove

MikeLove said:

@wombatkidd

Mmmmm...your words only make me stronger!!! Even though you spelled 'John' wrong :(

p.s. remember when you compared a 6 inch touch screen to the L&R buttons on an SNES controller? That was classic!!

timtimdaunholy

timtimdaunholy said:

I prayed and it was answered haven't played warioware and fusion since a cross country trip as a kid, back when these were new

timtimdaunholy

timtimdaunholy said:

faint

faint said:

@JohnRedcorn what your saying is if it can be stolen then why buy it. If that's how you feel then why even comment here unless you only purpose is to dissuade others and create unrest.

faint

faint said:

@JaredJ yup early April not much press for that one on any system tho. I assume due to its download only nature

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Well, Idk about anyone else, but I'm buying every last one of those games except for WarioWare Inc: Mega Microgame$.

I own all of these games on my 3DS from the Ambassador Program, with the exception of three: Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga, Advance Wars and Golden Sun. And, of course, Super Mario Bros 3. But I'll be buying that game on both my Wii U and 3DS.

Nintendo, well done. Now, as for that Mario Kart 8 Limited Edition every other region is getting...

faint

faint said:

@LittleIrves pro tip the gba has a lot I mean a lot of first party us and uk titles more than the snes did. I personally can't wait for both gba fire emblems. Oh and namco confirmed jumping on the gba train so we have that so far as well

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Knuckles

Key word there, can be BOUGHT. We got them for free, and 3 years before anyone else did. I mean, did people expect Nintendo to never release those games on VC just so Ambassadors could have games others don't for the rest of their lives? And now that we know the prices, we can safely say we got about $125-150 worth of games, for free, when Nintendo didn't even have to give us anything. So ya, I'm happy. And I'm even more happy these games are coming to Wii U now. Hope they bring the rest of the Ambassador Program games, too, particularly Fire Emblem Sacred Stones, Zelda Minish Cap and Mario Kart Super Circuit.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Mmmm...The only GBA game among those that I want but don't already have on my 3DS is Superstar Saga. I may get it...or I may wait until the 3DS gets a proper GBA VC. I've heard Golden Sun is good though, so that's a possible one for me also. I do have Maximum Velocity on my 3DS, but I'd love to see it on a big screen so I may get that one too. As for SMB3, I'll get it on Wii U for the $1 price and especially 3DS because I've been wanting to play the original on my 3DS for ages. I'd still like to know what happened to "Super Mario Bros. 3 will release on both the Wii U and 3DS Virtual Console before the end of 2013" though.

MikeLove

MikeLove said:

@faint

I want to buy them, but at $7.99 it's too much, as several other people have stated as well. $5.99 for PSOne games on PS3/Vita but $7.99 for a GBA game on Wii-U? Come on....

enderboy221

enderboy221 said:

Great, they are coming out earlier than I expected! Can't wait to try out Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga! BTW I want to try out advance wars, but don't know if it's good. Can anyone recommend it to me?

ogo79

ogo79 said:

okay, i dont wanna hear anyone cry for the next 2 weeks now.
i know thats asking gamers these days a lot.

Scon

Scon said:

This is a fake. This is a mere joke. I don't trust Nintendo in this item.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

@JohnRedcorn
Nintendo places a higher value on their games than Sony. While most PS1 games are $6, some (I guess the "more valuable" ones?) are $10, the same price Nintendo thinks all of its N64 games are worth (they were $10 on the Wii VC). In other words, Nintendo considers all of its games valuable, and for good reason. They have made many of the best games ever made, after all.

I do agree about cross-buy, though. I'd buy many more VC games if they could be played on both my 3DS and Wii U. As it is, I'm never going to buy a VC game twice just to play it on each system. I probably won't be getting any of these GBA games without a sale either, not because they're too expensive, but because they're too expensive for games I already have.

I expect that Gamecube games, if they ever come to the VC, will be no more than $15.

2Sang

2Sang said:

Personally I'm happy with this news, but that doesn't mean Johnredcorn doesn't have a point. He's willing to admit that those prices are too high. I actually think the prices should be $6 for gba games and $3-4 for NES games depending on if they have save files or not.
Please watch the insults — TBD

Mario-Kirby

Mario-Kirby said:

Since I only have a 3DS, nothing matters to me except that WE FINALLY HAVE A SMB3 RELEASE DATE!!!

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

April 3rd cannot come soon enough.
Scratch that, April can't come soon enough!
Pier Solar finally hits the Wii U eShop tomorrow!!

allav866

allav866 said:

@2Sang I'm okay with the price for NES games most of the time, but then I see games like Urban Champion that are available for the same price as Super Mario Bros. 1-3, and it makes me wonder why Nintendo varies the price for GameBoy games, but not NES. It did for Super Nintendo, but only for EarthBound.

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

As much as I loved the Game Boy Player back in the day I would much rather have these on the 3DS (I am an ambassador). Also the GB, GBC & GBA games I played on the GB Player also had the ability to be played on my GBA. Paying ONCE for a game and choosing to play t on either your console or handheld as you saw fit?! What a novel idea Nintendo!

Action51

Action51 said:

@JohnRedcorn said: "I want to buy them, but at $7.99 it's too much"

I hear ya man, I want to buy a new Nissan GT-R, but they want like $100,000 for the 2015.

What am I supposed to do? It's not like I have a choice to NOT buy something if I don't feel it's a good value. Oh well...better whine about it online because that's productive.

TradeMark

TradeMark said:

Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga, Advance Wars, and Golden Sun, the three GBA games I want most, released all in the first month of the GBA VC!!! An excellent launch for the VC if I say so myself. :)

Definitely getting Superstar Saga and Advance Wars at launch. I also hope the second GS game, The Lost Age, is released soon after the first one.

WitchSugoi

WitchSugoi said:

OH THANK GOD SOMETHING PEOPLE CAN FINALLY SHUT UP ABOUT

NintendoLife better hope the integrated account system never happens or this site will be a deadzone ;)

brooks83

brooks83 said:

@Hortencio -

Nintendo is doing what they want, and the Wii U is selling very poorly. Telling someone who is upset about the $8 price for a GBA game to "make more money" is just laughable.

I have over 100 VC/Wiiware games downloaded on my Wii, so I think I have given Nintendo enough money to state my opinion here. I am happy GBA games are coming to the Wii U, but as far as the VC goes, it's always two steps forward, one step back. It doesn't appear there is an option to make the GBA games brighter, they really look too dark. Not to mention the lack of multiplayer is really a bummer. They could have a dedicated server to host all VC games to play online. Or they could do splitscreen on the TV to emulate two GBAs like Sega did with Game Gear games in the past. Had they done something like that, I probably would be set to get a Wii U now, but Nintendo always does the bare minimum. Their atrocious handling of the VC is what's made me hesitant to buy a Wii U. And like others have pointed out, what's with the NES games on Wii U, Nintendo? They looked fine on the Wii.

Nintendo is sitting on a goldmine of classic games, why is it that they are screwing up the VC so bad? Oh my bad, they gave us customizable controls this time around...

Zodiak13

Zodiak13 said:

My GBA sits next to me with many other handhelds. My collection is fully in tact, so I just can't see buying any of these on the WiiU. I have SMB3 on Wii VC I think so I will get that on the cheap. Feel these game are better suited on the 3DS eshop, but oh well. Complaining gets me nowhere though so I guess its good they released them on something at least. Oh, and thank the lord SMB3 is coming, the DL update on Thursday is a haven for "WHERE IS SMB3???" comments. Wont miss those.

MikeLove

MikeLove said:

@Action51

"I hear ya man"

Glad we can agree on this. The price is a bit much compared to the digital pricing that Sega, Sony, and others charge for their games, especially when those other companies are providing extra features and added value.

Hopefully Nintendo will get it together soon!

Mask0Gears

Mask0Gears said:

Nice. I'll probably pick Golden Sun or Yoshi's Island when they come out. I'll pass on SMB3 (I already have it), and I just finished Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga. :D

xj0462

xj0462 said:

finally smb3 gets an american release date!!!!
so if gba games are coming to wii u, does that mean they will eventually come to 3DS?

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

@brooks83
Yeah, the GBA games do in fact look darker, not only that but you're either dealing with a smaller 1:1 picture or a blown up fugly image to fit the screen. If you own a regular 3DS, you can unlock the 6th brightness by using your charger/adapter which should help make these GBA games look a litte brighter which also enhances color vibrancy. Still.....I'd much rather play GB carts on a DS Lite....it's the only way to fly imo. Won't be bothering with the 3DS's GBA VC.

FlaccidBear

FlaccidBear said:

You guys do realize that they are testing the market for these franchises, right? If you want new entries into a franchise, support the GBA game

DragonbornRito

DragonbornRito said:

Mario & Luigi, Advance Wars, Golden Sun! These games are easily worth $8. They're basically SNES quality games with slightly lower resolution. Albeit, the ones I have on the 3DS Ambassador program will likely not being getting purchase.

Also, SMB3!

ChuJelly

ChuJelly said:

Whoa! This is only the first batch of GBA games, and they're already releasing three of the games I was hoping to see! Will definitely pick up Superstar Saga, Golden Sun, and Advance Wars at some point, as I haven't played any of them. I'm still kind of disappointed that there's still no 3DS versions/cross buy though. I'll probably have to buy one of them alone first just to see how they fare on the TV/Gamepad screen. Hopefully, they'll be worth it...

Action51

Action51 said:

@JohnRedcorn Amen to that!

I can't understand why Nintendo charges so much for these games when Sony charges less. I can't wait for Twitch plays Jak and Daxter II or Crash Bandicoot Kart Racing. Huge demand for those I hear.

@Senario Sarcasm? Certainly not!!?

Aren't you concerned about being forced to buy these video games?...we don't have a choice NOT to buy them, right? Aren't you mad at Nintendo for ...stuff. I mean how dare they release stuff at a price point that people who dislike everything Nintendo does think is too high!

Action51

Action51 said:

@PrincessSugoi +100 up

"OH THANK GOD SOMETHING PEOPLE CAN FINALLY SHUT UP ABOUT

NintendoLife better hope the integrated account system never happens or this site will be a deadzone"

Wow, that was so much more succinctly put then I could have done, and with just a touch of snark and sarcasm. Sometimes I wonder where these weird and very specific demands originate from, and why they resonate so strongly and persistently.

brooks83

brooks83 said:

@Action51

Probably about as many people that want to see Twitch plays of Urban Champion and NES Golf.

Action51

Action51 said:

@brooks83 you came late to the sarcasm-fest. :)

"BTW, Jak II and Crash Kart Racing are great games, but I'm sure you can't acknowledge that since they aren't on a Nintendo console"

Haha, well I guess it might sound that way sometimes because they are my favorite of all time. I picked Jak II because it's supposed to be the worst of an otherwise decent series, and Crash Racing or whatever it was called was pretty bad...that being said, I love lots of games that appear on PC and other consoles. I never owned an N64 untill AFTER it was off the market because I had so many great PS1 games. Some of my all time favorite games were on Genesis, PS1, and PC.

Icarus423

Icarus423 said:

I'm excited. I'll be buying Advance Wars since I've never played and want to get into it.

Dreamz

Dreamz said:

I'm much more excited for the Metroid Fusion and F-Zero releases. In my personal opinion SMB3 is quite possibly the most overrated video game of all time - it's my least favorite Mario game on the NES.
I do agree that the price point for the GBA releases was a bit meh. Only $1 less than SNES games? I think they should have been the same price as NES games.

Hortencio

Hortencio said:

Oh, Brooks83, you must be poorer than ol' Redcorn if you're comin' with that weakness! To reiterate, no one's making you re-buy these games a million times and I promise you Nintendo is not listening to your helpful hints on how to ship units. Enjoy what's there or find a new hobby to engage in (and later critique).
Good to see you're keeping up with Nintendo sites though, they love fence-sitting fans like you who "have given Nintendo enough money" (and therefore should be revered as more important). You have a 100+ VC games and you're still complaining? Go play, you'll live longer!