Nintendo Download: 3rd April (North America)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Rusty's the real deal, GBA on Wii U, Batman and more

It's that time once again, North America, when you can see what download delights are available on your Nintendo systems. There are two new titles on the Wii U, three GBA games on the home console, Rusty's free-to-play baseball, discounts and more. Let's get to it.

Missed the European Download Update? No need to run around the room in panic, the details are right here.

Wii U eShop

Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - Deluxe Edition (Warner Bros. Interactive, $19.99) — This actually arrived on the Wii U eShop in North America on 2nd April, and is an enhanced HD port of the 3DS original, a 2.5D action game that borrows elements from the 3D games and serves up a story that follows on from Batman: Arkham Origins. We weren't particularly impressed in our review of the 3DS version, but will 'be Batman' again in this updated release.

Evofish (Moving Player, $TBC) — A budget party game that originated on iOS and Android, this title aims to provide a fun experience for up to five players, utilising the GamePad and its additional screen for extra effect. Despite honourable intentions we found this to be a shallow experience, and it failed to earn a recommendation in our Evofish review.

Wii U Virtual Console

Advance Wars (Nintendo, $7.99) — While those that joined the world of portable gaming relatively recently may have enjoyed two entries in this series on the DS, this GBA original now arrives on the Wii U to give all newcomers a chance. It's turn-based strategic war action, and this is the beginning of the "Advance" part of the franchise with a loyal following no doubt hoping to see more entries in future. We gave this a hearty recommendation in our Advance Wars review.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (Nintendo, $7.99) — A series most recently graced with the brilliant Mario & Luigi: Dream Team on 3DS, Superstar Saga is the début of AlphaDream's quirky, humorous and engrossing RPG series. With turn-based rhythmic combat and an imaginative recreation of the Bros.' world and characters, this is rightly considered by many to be a classic — we'll get stuck into a playthrough.

Metroid Fusion (Nintendo, $7.99) — With the DS receiving Metroid Prime: Hunters, that makes this the last 2D portable Metroid that we've enjoyed (update: oops, that'd actually be Metroid: Zero Mission). Relatively linear in design and with a focus on storytelling, this is also one of the most tense, panic-inducing entries in the series, while throwing in the standard combat and elements of exploration and upgrades. SA-X remains one of the most intimidating enemies in the series, and we were big fans in our review of the 3DS Ambassador version — we'll have no complaints about playing through this again.

Wii U eShop Promotion

From 9am Pacific time on 3rd April until 10th April, if you own or buy Dr. Mario you can get $5 off the standard price of Dr. Luigi.

3DS eShop

Rusty's Real Deal Baseball (Nintendo, free-to-play) — This is Nintendo's next step into the free-to-play market, just in time to join the start of the real Baseball season. An initial mini-game will be accessible for free right from the off, and then an assortment of extras covering different aspects from the sport will need to be bought separately; the twist is that you can haggle with Rusty the dog, and give him in-game items, to lower the cost of minigames. We'll take our spot on the plate and give this a swing for our review.

Mystery Case Files: Ravenhearst (Tulip Games, $5.99) — This hidden-object game was released at retail in Europe in 2013, which is a port of a DS title which is a port of a PC release. That aside, while the genre is popular this title isn't top of its class, doing a competent job with some flaws dragging particular areas down; you can check out our Mystery Case Files: Ravenhearst review if you want to know more.

Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove (Tulip Games, $5.99) — We anticipate this'll be similar to the Ravenhearst entry, albeit with a new setting and plot. We'll search for the truth in our upcoming review.

3DS Retail Download

Super Monkey Ball 3D (Sega, $19.99) — The 3DS launch title from way back in March 2011 is finally available for download; we were fans at the time in our Super Monkey Ball 3D review.

Not listed in Nintendo of America's update but announced earlier this week, Two Tribes has permanently reduced its Classics range to $1.99.

So those are your choices this week, North America, and we'd suggest there are some enticing downloads included. Let us know what you plan to pick up in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (446 votes)

Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - Deluxe Edition (Wii U eShop)

Evofish (Wii U eShop)

Advance Wars (Wii U Virtual Console)

20%

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (Wii U Virtual Console)

18%

Metroid Fusion (Wii U Virtual Console)

16%

Rusty's Real Deal Baseball (3DS eShop)

25%

Mystery Case Files: Ravenhearst (3DS eShop)

Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove (3DS eShop)

Super Monkey Ball 3D (3DS retail download)

I'll take advantage of the Dr. Mario / Dr. Luigi promotion

Nothing for me this week

16%

Please login to vote in this poll.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

AWWW YEAH!!, GBA games, here I come!

Interesting Wii U promotion too, it is pretty much get Dr. Mario for free if you buy Dr. Luigi. (thought you need to buy Dr. Mario first)

There needs to be an option for "all the GBA games" because I am getting them all.... how can I pick between getting just one.....!

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Rusty's Real Deal Baseall for me because I need some baseball on my 3DS. I hope it's good.

I'll probably get Advance Wars down the road, but need to play through Link to the Past still which I got on Club Nintendo awhile back.

King47

King47 said:

Advance Wars!!!! I love this game and IS.
I'm also getting Metroid Fusion, and I'll see what other games they offer.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

I'll be getting Rusty and the GBA Downloads. Ha, sounds like a cheesy name to a musical group.

Kroisos

Kroisos said:

I probably the only person not getting any of the GBA games, because I still have all the carts and my DS Heavy. Otherwise I'd be all over them.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Not gonna actually buy anything from him, but I'll download Rusty just to see how entertaining/creepy he is to haggle with.

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

I'll be picking up Mario & Luigi for sure, and probably Metroid Fusion just to be able to play it on the big screen.

I actually really dug the Batman Blackgate 3DS game from what I played of it so I may pick up the HD remake.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

@bezerker99

Lol. :D

I already have Super Monkey Ball 3DS in cartridge bought it when the 3ds came out one of my first 3ds games. :D It's in my 3DS right now lol. Not bothering to re-buy it when I already have it as for the rest just getting Rusty's Real Deal Baseball this week.

Looking forward to next week:

Disney Magical World - 3DS
Gardening Mama 2 - 3DS

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

Captain_Gonru

Captain_Gonru said:

@ikki5 I totally missed the line about the promo, so thanks for mentioning it. Now THAT is what I'm getting first.
But after that, I'm grabbing Advance Wars, in part for the Club Nintendo survey. It's a chance to plead for a Wii U entry for the series.

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

I put batman since I downloaded it on Tuesday but I am getting Advance Wars first out of the rest. Since I can't hook up my Gamecube to my new tv I am going to get the other GBA games I have. I have some and a GBA that is a square folded up with the back light built in. GBA SP maybe? I got used to playing those games on my GBA Player on gamecube though. CAN'T wait for Castlevania to get there.

Beau_Skunk

Beau_Skunk said:

No 3DS Virtual Console update this week? Ugh... We'll never get Bubble Bobble, Final Fantasy, Tetris Attack, and such at this rate... (Which have been out in Japan for months...)

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

This week. This week! Makes up for some crummy selections in past weeks this year.

GBA for me!

Phantom_R

Phantom_R said:

I lost my Superstar Saga ages ago, and I never had a chance to get into Advance Wars... I'll probably try those out on the giant screen as soon as I get a chance next week!

mystman12

mystman12 said:

I'll probably download Rusty's Real Deal just for some Club Nintendo points, but who knows? Maybe I'll end up enjoying it.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

Patiently waiting for eShop to update so I can download Advance Wars......and by patiently I mean staring at the clock, pacing, arguing with the physics of time and generally being angry that my clocks move at the rate they are suppose to.

Gen0neD

Gen0neD said:

Gonna check out Rusty. The price is too high for Monkey Ball, it's the weakest MB entry by far and I'm a big fan. Wait for a price drop potential buyers.

ekreig

ekreig said:

Omigosh, I miss Superstar Saga so much. Hopefully I'll have a Wii U by the end of the year. :)

This is shaping up to be a mighty fine month for the eShop. I think I'll start with the Edge price drop.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

I gotta say I was initially excited when Arkham Origins Blackgate was announced for the 3DS, mainly because it reminded me of sidescrolling classic The Adventures of Batman & Robin on the SNES. Reviews were lukewarm enough that I never gave it a shot. Who knows, maybe I'll give this enhanced version a go - the price point is attractive enough.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

@WiiULoveGBA

I wouldn't really say this week alone makes up for it.... but this month sure does :D

I hope the GBA goodness continues into the month of May!

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Oh, yeah! To the Wii U! Death to productivity!

What a strong selection of GBA games to debut with! Very nice. Kinda wish Dr. Mario was cheaper if you already bought Dr. Luigi. :P

efaulk84

efaulk84 said:

When we get Warioware Inc. I hope that you can still unlock Dr. Wario, and the other unlockible games

8bitforever

8bitforever said:

Honestly, this isn't a great selection. There should be like 10 GBA games initially, and with Nintendo's broken account system why bother. If the account system was better then I would buy.

ReshiramZekrom

ReshiramZekrom said:

Mystery Case Files: Ravenhearst is a port of a port?

Is Tulip Games trying to pull a Sega? (Sonic Adventure on XBLA/PSN is believed to be a port of the PC version, which is a port of the GCN version, which is a port of the original)

sonic_brawler95

sonic_brawler95 said:

M&L and Rusty for me. Tempted to play Metroid Fusion on the big screen, but I might just stick with the Ambassador version.

NbaJunkie

NbaJunkie said:

Nothing for me since my game pad was sent to get fixed. And it's impossible to navigate the eshop without it! Seriously patch that Nintendo.. .

ikki5

ikki5 said:

@8bitforever

Lol, there is always one of you. complains that the GBA titles are not enough... we have a great launch lineup for it. Maybe you should look at it. Though I do agree that the account system does need some work.

@Mr_Trill281

and for you, Mario 3 is coming out on the 17th..... this is common knowledge now.

manu0

manu0 said:

Would be great if someone could report how low Rusty's prices can get :)

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

Lots of good releases this week! Gonna have to get more eShop cards, especially with that Dr. Luigi discount! :O

mike_intellivision

mike_intellivision said:

I love how the price has not been set for EvoFish yet.
(I am probably the only person who actually wants that game since it reminds me of Shark! Shark! for Intellvision).

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

No 3DS VC. I was really hoping for Devil World or Blaster Master this week. I'll give Rusty a look though.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

@ThomasBW84

did... you guys forget about Metroid Zero Mission?

"With the DS receiving Metroid Prime: Hunters, that makes this the last 2D portable Metroid that we've enjoyed. "

Zero Mission came after Fusion

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

I wonder if these will ever come to Club Nintendo and how much they will cost us in coins. I'm just getting Advance Wars more out of curiosity ththen anything. Great games but don't have the time for them honestly.

SonataAndante

SonataAndante said:

I'm still disappointed by the lack of GB/GBC VC releases on the 3DS, and while I won't be picking anything up besides trying out Rusty, this is a nice selection. All 3 of the GBA titles are fantastic.

Guitardude7

Guitardude7 said:

Why hasn't the eShop updated yet? It's 11:05 here in America where I am. When will it go live?

rjejr

rjejr said:

@aaronsullivan - "What a strong selection of GBA games to debut with!"

That's petty much what I was thinking, I thought those games came out one a week, guess I need to go back and reread the date list. Buying Advance Wars first, then Maro & Luigi after I get my DDP $5 and I finish Super Mario RPG which I printed out the reward for but haven't even redeemed yet (I'm still deciding between Wii U and old wiped Wii in the boys room where they are playing Paper Mario, SMG 1 + 2 and SSBB.)

Good week to start off April w/ VC before the "indies" start coming. I am SO glad barren wasteland March is over. All the MK8 news makes me think Nintendo was waiting for March to be over as well. :-)

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Guitardude7 - It always updates at noon. Give or take but it's noon.

Forgive my east coast arrogance, noon ET, 9AM PT. Their HQ is in WA state s I think they like to start the day at 9AM. Seems logical anyway, its only a guess.

NINTENBOY

NINTENBOY said:

Now THIS is a good amount of games added to the Eshop! It should be like this every week.

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

I wonder what the chances are of Nintendo releasing some of the GBA pokemon games for Wii U...

DoomTurtle

DoomTurtle said:

With Captain America: The Winter Soldier releasing in North America this weekend, I was hoping Zen pinball would have a sale on its Marvel tables, or at the very least, the Captain America table.

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

OR how about if you already own Dr. Luigi you get Dr. Mario free?
Fairness.
Looking forward to the GBA titles, though. A lot!

sevex

sevex said:

I just recently replayed Mario & Luigi and Metroid Fusion. Guess I'll wait for Aria of Sorrow.

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

Broke for now...so just some Rusty for me, I'll keep an eye on some GBA games, probably Advance Wars, already have Metroid on my 3DS and I'm not really a fan of the Mario and Luigi series.

Cyberbotv2

Cyberbotv2 said:

New fiscal year with the dawn of April 1st. I'll be getting Batman, Dr Mario and luigi, Superstars, Metroid, Advance Wars. Excellent, excellent week. Anyone complaining needs to find a new hobby.

GooRoo

GooRoo said:

Nice to see Rusty in the lead as of this post. :) Not-so-patiently awaiting its arrival on the eShop as we speak...

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Eh, its gonna have to wait...low on money. lol
But I'm definitely getting Superstarr Saga and Advance Wars at some point.

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

The real game I am waiting for now is Golden Sun and Super Mario Bros 3 later this month, but I will probably get Advance Wars or Metroid: Fusion at some point. Batman looks ok too, but out of the budget reach for now.

paburrows

paburrows said:

I'm having a hard time deciding between Advance Wars and Metroid, both are sooo great! But that's a great problem to have!

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

FINALLY....!!!! Just four minutes until a decent Metroid title returns to a Nintendo home console!!!!

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

Probably gonna get all 3 GBA games eventually. Just one at a time. I can't choose which one to start with though, probably M&L.

paburrows

paburrows said:

So I'm curious do these Advance titles have 1 or 3 save files? I'm hoping 3 so that may sons can have their own and not have to use mine.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

It's updated!! Time for GBA Awesome for Wii U Only!!! (except for the Ambassadors)

paburrows

paburrows said:

ThomasBW84 - Since Advance Wars has been reviewed already can you tell me how many save files are on the Advance games?

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

I dont see why with the rusty game you cant just repeatedly push haggle until its basically free?

8bitforever

8bitforever said:

@ikki5 3 games isn't a great lineup. I love Metroid Fusion but three games isn't anything to celebrate and based on Nintendo's VC history you'll get about two titles every month. Still doesn't matter when your WiiU breaks your games are gone, good luck with that.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

@8bitforever um... have you seen the game lineup for this month? There are 8 fantastic GBA games this month, that may not be all as we are also getting Mario 3 on the 17th so there could be more than just GBA games this month. Also, if my Wii U breaks, it isn't that hard to send it in for repair. If it does get replaced, they'll switch it all over. The same applies to the 3DS.

Jampie

Jampie said:

@8bitforever, what? Only 3 GBA games? Are you kidding? There are more than 3 coming out this month... Just 3 are coming out today.

EDIT: Sure, Nintendo's account system is not ideal, but I'm pretty sure people have said before that if you contact Nintendo, you should be able to get your system repaired/game transferred when sent to Nintendo, games back or refunded, etc. Yes, it is a hassle, but it doesn't mean your games are gone for good.

BinaryFragger

BinaryFragger said:

Will check out Rusty's Real Deal Baseball. It's been years since I've played a baseball video game (not a big fan of the sport) but the game looks interesting.

pariah164

pariah164 said:

I am angry as hell that 3DS owners can't get in on that GBA goodness. Want my Superstar Saga!

MohammedHarati

MohammedHarati said:

when are they gonna release kingdom hearts , metal gear solid 3D , Ace combat & dead or alive on 3ds eShop too .

iphys

iphys said:

@Marioman64 Because they set a limit on how low you can haggle. I've heard you basically won't get the games any cheaper than half price, and the games might not even be worth that much, so it might be just a lot of wasted effort.

Mrclaycoat

Mrclaycoat said:

@ikki5 Yeah I just feel like the price is crazy high. I mean it's on par with SNES games? As good as Metroid fusion is, you can't compare it to Super Metroid as one example. The overpricing of Virtual Console games added to the very slim selection of choices are clear examples of why it's failing.

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

I bought Super Monkey Ball 3D when the 3DS launched. It was good but nowhere near the price of $40 so now at $20 its a good time to buy it if your into the series. Probably the only Super Monkey Ball game where going to get for a loooooong time.

alex167

alex167 said:

Since i got GBA games there's nothing interesting this week on e-shop for me. I think really "NEW" Wii U games are needed.

cheapogamer4life

cheapogamer4life said:

Rusty BB for sure. I was gonna get the Cubic game that was on sale until I found that I already had it for PC/mobile. I don't know, still may get it anyway if I can't find anything else on sale that I like.

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

Picking up Metroid Fusion, for sure. Can't wait to see how the GBA games look on a bigger screen, may just play solely on my gamepad.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Well I would pick up some of the GBA games especially Fusion, but I am not giving Nintendo a dime until they release SMB3 on the VC.

BaffleBlend

BaffleBlend said:

I can't pretend to be excited about the releases this week. I already own the GBA games, and Rusty's Ripoff Shop just plain pisses me off by being there. A bunch of little minigames that probably exist thousands of ways in Adobe Flash for more than the cost of DSiWare each... who would buy those?! That said, I'll probably download it anyway for the one free game and the fact that I have a massive SD card...

epicdude12302

epicdude12302 said:

I found a typo. Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate: Deluxe Edition released on April 1st in North America, not April 2nd.

dkxcalibur

dkxcalibur said:

With Rusty being free at first, I can't see why you wouldn't at least give it a try. I will say that the trailer for the game did not look interesting to me. I always loved the Advanced Wars games so I will most likely pick it up at some point.

Ralek85

Ralek85 said:

Rusty's Real Deal Baseball since it's free ... but really they could have brought the GBA games to 3DS as well, at least I could be a tiny bit excited then with this update. But alas business as usual.

R_Champ

R_Champ said:

@WiiULoveGBA

LOL, I had a similar reaction. SOOOO many times I was like, "Tennis?! TENNIS!?11" It almost feels strange to have so many good games released at once.

Pod

Pod said:

Rusty's Real Deal Baseball is one of the most interesting experiments I've seen in a while, and to me it proves that Nintendo is right up there with the innovators in monetization on the smart phone market.

For the first time I'm looking forward to spending money in a free-to-play game!

Ren

Ren said:

ok, let me get this straight: a WiiU version of a 3ds version of a WiiU batman game? one of which wasn't that great to begin with? yeesh.

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

I'm part of that 3% who are interested in Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate... I'm not buying GBA games until I know that I could play them on my 3DS without paying again if they do come out on the 3DS VC. I heard some bad things about Rusty's Baseball, so I will wait for the review and probably wait for a sale.

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

M2 did a fantastic job on the GBA games!! They look better to me than the SNES ports on e-shop, plus you get more options/settings for them. Nintendo should let them handle all the SNES/GBA ports!!!

DiscoGentleman

DiscoGentleman said:

Blok Drop U is on sale for a dollar. And there's a big update on the way- save states, stage select, touched-up graphics.

letsplay

letsplay said:

Some of these "budget" games are sold on other systems for $1.99 but sometimes when they come to the 3ds it's $20. blah

3dcaleb

3dcaleb said:

@Beau_Skunk
wow i didnt know japan had bubble bobble already. thats one of my favorite games of all time. i hope we get it soon. do u know which version it is?

MikeLove

MikeLove said:

I caved and purchased Advance Wars as it pushed me to the 500pt level for $5 in eShop credit.

Looks and runs very smooth! The emulation is perfect!

MikeLove

MikeLove said:

@Dreamcaster-X

Ya, the VC titles Nintendo has put out have suffered from slowdown in several places, but the M2 produced titles (GBA and 3D Genesis so far) have been amazingly well done and run perfectly.

JarredBuzzo

JarredBuzzo said:

@TeeJay ditto, seems creepy.

I got Advance Wars and it runs really well on Wii U, I'll try Mario and Luigi later. I'm surprised how good Advance Wars looks on my TV.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

I have been playing these GBA games to death today. lol

So glad these are not on 3DS! GBA on the big screen is so awesome! Those saying it would look like crap because of resolution were so wrong.

ecco6t9

ecco6t9 said:

If the commentary and opinions on message boards and the internet are true, the by putting GBA games on the Wii U first has divided 3DS and Wii U owners.

Ryo_Hazuki-san

Ryo_Hazuki-san said:

the baseball game is hands down one of the best most unique games since the snes days Great job nintendo!

komodo182

komodo182 said:

Advance Wars, Superstar Saga, Dr. Mario, Dr. Luigi, Rush and Blok Drop for me this week

Beau_Skunk

Beau_Skunk said:

@3dcaleb @nesvc
Nice to see I'm not the only one eagerly anticipating "Bubble Bobble." It's the NES/Famicom version, which was still a good version. It's been out in Japan sense October, so it's amazing it's not out yet... It probably won't come out, until after "Final Fantasy 1" comes to 3DS's VC, because I hear Square/Enix owns Tato the company that made "Bubble Bobble" originally, and they'd probably want to release a more popular game first.

"Donkey Kong Land" was also released in Japan recently, so don't expect that one for another few months either... Especially, with all the GBA releases this month, and Megaman Gameboy releases next month. I'm never going to get Bubble Bobble! :(

Cevan

Cevan said:

Just Rusty's Real Deal Baseball this week for me. Next week, though, I'll be sure to pick up Super Mario Bros. 3 once it finally arrives.

3dcaleb

3dcaleb said:

@Beau_Skunk
cool i love that version. i've been trying to get ahold of a copy of bubble bobble double shot but its hard to find one for under $20. the bubble bobble revolutions version looks like it sucks so i'm not going to get that one. i have the GBA version and its pretty fun but ive played thru it a bunch of times so im ready for something new. soon i hope.

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

@iphys I mean it's gonna get to the point where there's a faq on how to get the lowest prices for everything, and everyone who doesn't follow that guide will pay more money. feels kinda wrong

Depeche

Depeche said:

Not sure I understand the WIi getting GBA games, I would think the 3ds would be better suited for this, hopefully they will port them over to the 3ds. For Rusty''s baseball, I think they should have made it a real baseball league where you buy a team and then buy and trade players. Just a thought - or just charge me $20 for a full game of regular baseball. Not sure the reason why they won't put a normal baseball game out I am sure there is a market for it. I get this an experiment.

Juma009

Juma009 said:

Ok so for me its, Mario and Luigi(never played it) Fusion (a classic) and Advance Wars (amazing game) Nintendo will take my money this week.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I'm pretty late to the party but I downloaded Rusty's Real Deal Baseball this week! I can't argue with getting to try it out for free.