Resident Evil Revelations 2 Confirmed By Capcom, Skipping Nintendo Systems

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Horrifying news

Not too long ago we brought you the news of leaked assets for Resident Evil Revelations 2, which naturally raised the issue over whether it would arrive on Nintendo hardware. It looks, sadly, like old retail listings excluding Wii U and 3DS were correct.

The title was officially confirmed at a pre-Tokyo Game Show event for Sony (Update, not TGS as previously, and incorrectly, stated) with Capcom initially reticent to reveal platforms but later confirming PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, Xbox One and PC; barring a u-turn the sequel will skip Nintendo hardware.

While third-party hesitancy to support Nintendo hardware can be justifiable, this seems like a rather surprising decision. It's reportedly the same development team producing this new entry, which logically suggests that there's sufficient experience working on Wii U and 3DS — Resident Evil Revelations made its début on the portable while its HD re-release was included on Wii U. The exclusion of the 3DS this time is perhaps expected — with the sub-series moving onto home consoles — but the absence of a Wii U version is disappointing, adding to frustration that the HD remaster of the original is also skipping the console.

Capcom has shown strong support for Nintendo's Virtual Console platforms, along with the notable example of Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, though this revelation is sure to frustrate some fans.

Are you disappointed that Nintendo's systems have been left out of this Resident Evil Revelations 2 announcement? Let us know, while a live-action concept trailer is below — the new entry will feature different characters and a new story-arc from the original, and will arrive in 2015.

[via uk.ign.com]

Peach64

Peach64 said:

Disappointing but not a surprise anymore. Wii U and Vita are in the same boat now, great pieces of hardware but just not selling enough to make them viable platforms for publishers.

Shadowflash

Shadowflash said:

I like how when devs do this to Nintendo, the majority never bats an eye; but everyone was clamoring and up in arms when Bayonetta 2 was a Wii U exclusive.

LegatoSkyheart

LegatoSkyheart said:

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

This is not suprising at all especially after the GCN Resident Evil HD remaster not coming to Nintendo platforms was confirmed some time ago.

erv

erv said:

All I want from capcom is monster hunter. Preferably 4 ultimate, on my wii U.

You can keep your evil residents if that's what it takes.

Sugar_Crunch_BD

Sugar_Crunch_BD said:

Personally, i'm having a great time with Capcom at the moment. I'm playing Pheonix Wright dual destinies and SSF4 3DE on my 3DS. I won't miss a resident evil to be honest. Although the gamepad has proven to be good for survival horror.

Artwark

Artwark said:

@Peach64 But that is the problem. If you don't have powerful hardware but have cheap products, people will buy it. If you have powerful hardware which is expensive, people will buy it. It all comes down as to which you would prefer and Nintendo chose the cheap way and so even if this one game won't show up, Wii U will still sell. And why not, it did outsell PS4 in Japan alone.....right?

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

I could barely understand the REmake remastered decision, this one makes literally no sense.

Zyph

Zyph said:

Disappointed but 2015 is still pretty far so Nintendo themselves might announce something down the line or maybe on a Direct.

2Sang

2Sang said:

Capcom, the donald trump of video games. How do they stay in business with their dumb choices?

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

I don't knwo what to think about Capcom anymore. No Street Fighter IV on Wii U, no nothing...

Thecoolmana777

Thecoolmana777 said:

Absolutely livid! Brought it on 3DS (the system it originated on!) and Wii U, and now they say that it won't come to any nintendo system!!!

RacerX

RacerX said:

A non issue for me. Resident Evil was dead to me long ago. (pun intended)
There are far better horror/survival horror franchises out there nowadays.

Volmun

Volmun said:

oh thanks Capcom.. just ignore the ppl who got the Orignal (and then got the WiiU Ver) ... Sigh il get it on PS4 then...

GreatPlayer

GreatPlayer said:

Capcom is learning from Ubisoft... (they are learning from each other anyway. Remember Resident Evil 4?)

liavcol

liavcol said:

I wish them GREAT loses with this title! This is just don't right! I bought the original for my 3DS a week after it came out on a full price of 40$ and I'm sure alot more did. I just can't get the reasoning behind this dumb decision...

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

And nothing of value was lost. Have fun milking another spinoff Capcom. Eventually every franchise you have will run dry.

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

The only setup I can think of that would be positive for Nintendo fans is maybe a "new 3DS" release. Why would they announce for a console that doesn't even have a release window outside of Japan?

Remisio

Remisio said:

@liavcol Now I realize those 40+$ were a complete waste of my money. It was a fun game, and I really enjoyed it. I was hoping it'd turn out like FF:CC did for SE as in a Nintendo exclusive spin off franchise. But Naaah, they released it on consoles with more content. Which still didn't anger me much really... But this is dumb. Capcom appears to have a tendency to not really care about fans. I won't really be surprised when MH5 is announced PS4 exclusive or whatever. It just means it's another franchise I stop caring about.

Phoenix Wright becomes iOS exclusive.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

That live action trailer was whack, anyway I'm not surprised but it is a pity that a game sub series that began life on 3DS won't continue on it but it seems they are going for a grander approach this time. Wii U not getting it doesn't surprise me in the slightest

@Artwark PS4 has sold 10 million been out a year less than Wii U as well, while Wii U has sold 7 million.

Magikarp3

Magikarp3 said:

well the positive here is that it's coming on a new engine I guess. Also the heck was that trailer about? o.0

Here's hoping the gameplay is more like Revelations than RE5-6.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

isnt this kinda ironic after the announcement fo the new 3ds for fps games so this should be perfect for it yet nothing xD

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

oh yeah what is it about companies now a days with there stupid decisions latetly? like assassins creed having 2 games this year both exclusive to their own console leaving some gamers out of it, nintendo and its new 3ds announcement, youtube doing more lame layout updates... just popular companies making bad decisions now add capcom to the list..

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

I don't mind this skipping Wii U but it does seem harsh on the 3DS owners who pretty much made this game possible. Imagine the outpouring of internet hatred if RE7 turns out to be a Wii U exclusive. It would probably be good for the series like RE4 was :)

schizor

schizor said:

This is stupid. I loved the first revelations on the 3ds. I still want to play the second revelations but now might get it cracked for pc in pure spite of this terrible decision. :-/

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

This is exactly the reason why Nintendo needs new leadership on top. Why isn't this abandonment from 3rd parties being addressed by Iwata? Instead its ignored, like the treatment we get from Ubi, EA & Activision. Using the Wii U install base excuse means nothing as it sells better than the Xbone and the 3DS has over 40 million, What a bunch of crap.

TreonsRealm

TreonsRealm said:

I have long been a supporter of Capcom having bought EVERY Nintendo based Resident Evil but I am done with them after this BS (RE: Revelations 2 and RE: Remake HD skipping Wii U). It's especially stupid when you consider that RE: Revelations sold best on 3DS (also the main reason it sold worst on Wii U since most Wii U owners already owned it on 3DS and that version was actually better). Let's also remember that it wasn't Capcom that made the game which is probably why it was actually good (TOSE made RE: Revelations and I doubt they're working on the new one).

The numbers don't lie, for the current generation the Wii U is second place worldwide and first place in Japan by a wide margin (over a million more systems sold than PS4) so Capcom ignoring the system is just plain stupid when you consider the Resident Evil fanbase on Nintendo consoles due to previous "exclusives". These types of decisions are exactly why the company is sinking and why the people who made them a major third party have all bailed on them (Shinji Mikami, Hideki Kamiya, Keji Inafune). At this point, I am enjoying watching the company crash and burn and can't wait for other companies to come in and pick off the remains and actually do something right with their franchises. I look forward to Nintendo buying the Mega Man IP for next to nothing and reviving the franchise (Hell, they'll probably hire Keji Inafune & Comcept to do it).

Stu13

Stu13 said:

I'd love to say that I'm protesting this by not getting the rest of the Gargoyle's Quest series when it comes to NA, but I'm still totally getting those games. Because my principles are often overriden by action platformers.

BigH88

BigH88 said:

Ok now this one bothers me. Not that it's not coming to Wii U but skipping the 3ds is bull. I hope this one flops hard.

BigH88

BigH88 said:

@Volmun Well if you must buy it, buy used cause since you know it's not coming to Nintendo systems quality is going to suck. Or wait for a massive price drop. Which both will probably happen.

FragRed

FragRed said:

Okay, I'm not a fan of the new Resident Evil games, they're nothing compared to the original. However, not releasing this on a console with 45 million install base, and growing by the day is just absolutely stupid. I even hear it sold well on the Wii U which has only a 6 million install base.

So where's the logic?

I really hope I wake up one day soon to the news Capcom has been outright purchased by Nintendo. Nintendo needs third party support. They also need more first & second party developers to bulk out their game libraries for the current and future consoles.

BigH88

BigH88 said:

@2Sang Oh they're struggling financially. Hopefully in 5 years Nintendo buys and owns the Mega Man and Monster Hunter IP.

Reverandjames

Reverandjames said:

I pre-ordered and bought Resident evil Revelations for 3DS when it first came out and got the circle pad pro with it. I Spent my hard earned cash in January 2012 when money is tight, but I didn't care because I loved Capcom and I loved Resident Evil. I Played the story to completion and played a lot of the excellent multiplayer. So how do Capcom think it's fair to shaft someone like me? They obviously feel that someone like me doesn't deserve a sequel to one of my favourite games of 2012. Good job I own a PS4, PS3 and Xbox 360, but guess what? I won't be buying the game this time around. I am going to completely boycott this game because I don't feel that Capcom deserves my money. I'm finding myself less and less inclined to buy games from these companies anymore.

MajinSoul

MajinSoul said:

I finished RE:R on WiiU last saturday and it was a pretty decent game. The gamepad was utilized pretty well, too. To me this just proves that Capcom gives 0 fu**s about their fans. They're only in for the money. They abandoned the Vita when the 3DS started to shine and now they're doing the same with the WiiU and PS4/XO.

@Shadowflash The difference is that Bayonetta 2 was declined by both, Sony AND Microsoft, and it wouldn't even exist without Nintendo's funding. RE:R on the other hand wouldn't have been ported to PS3/360 if the 3DS version hadn't sold extremely well.

Ventilator

Ventilator said:

@Peach64 : Wii U and VITA is in the same boat, but VITA is dead.
Wii U is doing much better, and is available everywhere in stores. VITA and games is not sold in any stores anymore in my country.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

Karma will get them all. Nintendo used to bully 3rd parties and now everyone bullies them. Karma in action.

Now we are seeing multiple publishers (who pretty owe their existence to Nintendo), continually stabbing Nintendo and its fans in the back. They'll not last too long doing that, especially if Nintendo leave the hardware business. The worst thing that could happen to those 3rd parties is having to compete with Nintendo releasing games on the same systems as them.

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

That just sucks. This series of Resident Evil belongs to 3DS, especially now with the new Super 3DS coming out, this would've been great on 3DS just like the original first game was.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@Reverandjames

Yup, I completely understand this view point because as much as I want to play it, I'm doing the same thing in regards to Rise of the Tomb Raider. I have an X1 and think it's a great console and I don't blame MS for trying to get exclusives or timed-exclusives but for SquareEnix to shaft the fanbase that bought more copies of the TR reboot on both PS3 and then PS4? That's bullcrap. Here, Revelations started and sold best on 3DS, so there is literally no justification for Nintendo gamers to miss out.

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

This upsets me greatly and 3ds owners. I liked the first one since this was the first resident evil I've played. I know Nintendo is picking up the slack from this year and next year with it's WiiU games they can't blossom by themselves. The third parties is gonna have ta learn to forgive and forget. The Wiiu install base is growing, forget about meeting sales figures, gain some new fans, stop with the excuses and the half-butt ports and rewards will follow. Until then we're gonna be stuck seeing more stuff like this for the next year....... or next console gen. (sigh)

rylo151

rylo151 said:

is nintendo even trying to help get any 3rd party games at all or do they just not give a crap? all you hear is games missing wii u but nintendo just stays silent and does nothing about it...

Artwark

Artwark said:

@Jazzer94 Isn't that good news? Nintendo just lost by 3 and you didn't mention Xbox One. So Its still left behind, big deal. :P We get games, they get our cash. B - )

PokeMario

PokeMario said:

Despite owning other platforms, I won't be buying this and I won't be buying the Resident Evil Remake either. A lot of Resident Evil's success has come from Nintendo platforms. Resident Evil for Gamecube, Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil Zero, and Resident Evil Revelations are my four favorites from the series, and they were on NIntendo platforms. Resident Evil Revelations was best on the 3DS and the combined sales of the PC, Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii U versions weren't that much higher than the 3DS version alone. The Wii U version may have done worse than other versions, but it had a much smaller install base compared to the others and did considerably well based on that, not to mention that a lot of Wii U owners may have already played the original on the 3DS. As for the Resident Evil Remake, that was originally remade for the Gamecube and was a success. The fact that both of these games are skipping Nintendo platforms but will be on all others besides the Vita is complete and utter bullcrap. I refuse to buy either of them.

DracioKoi

DracioKoi said:

Not cool, Capcom, not cool. It's not even like the game did horrible in terms of sales that would justify your reason for ditching Nintendo consoles.
Sigh, you were my favourite gaming company. I don't know what to think of you now :(

Lasermaster123

Lasermaster123 said:

@Remisio
If MH5 would be on PS4, I wouldn't know what to do...
But that is doubtful considering MH sells mostly in Japan and what is the most popular system in Japan? 3DS! So I am not worried much about Monster Hunter going to the PS unless Sony gives them a ton load of money which I doubt will happen looking at their current financial condition.

Nintendo, just buy the super awesome Capcom properties if it ever goes bankrupt which is not unlikely looking at the path Capcom is choosing.

Plus all this behaviour from 3rd parties is getting really annoying. They are releasing it on past gen but do not care enough to release it on the vastly superior Wii U? It can easily get the X360 or PS3 version of the game with some slight tweaks!

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

Capcom can go do one, I'm done wih them been a loyal nintendo//capcom fan for years. I bought resi revelations day of release and the mercenaries on 3DS. I even bought the mercenaries downloadable so I could have it on the go when ever I felt like a blast.
So dissapointed there is no 3DS release.

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

Well it was nice of them for those sales but they got to make money from consoles that sell!, we saw them trying to sue to earn a few bucks...but that's their lost.

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

What angers me more is the inclusion of xbox one, the install base is 2 million less than wii u!!!

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

As to be expected really ;)
Developers just dont get that the WiiU isnt the black sheep of the current gen afterall.
I just wonder where most devs are currently making their money though, as the two "next gen" systems are pretty much game free and they refuse to release games on nintendo systems.

This paranoia the devs have is rather puzzling though, as developing for the WiiU is exceptionally cheaper and, frankly said, there is demand for games on the WiiU.
But instead, most of them invest in much much more costly, fewer games on "next gen" systems in the hopes of targeting a wider audience...
And to be honest, its funny to see that people are still talking about the WiiUs earliest releases, while most "next gen" titles are already succumbed into oblivion.

But whatever. The Resident Evil series isnt the high profile IP it once was. Its a mere shadow of its past.
It probably will fall flat on its behind because it has to compete with the numerous other shooters on these platforms, while it would get a free pass on WiiU.

Capcoms actions reek of desperation. They are doing everything to earn money, but sadly, i think omitting the WiiU at this point, isnt really the wisest choice you can make anymore. The install base argument isnt withstanding anymore, the target audience argument is double edged considering the series overall image and the shooter competition is fierce on said systems.

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

I have nothing but explicit and vulgar words for Capcom. Your about to be lumped in with EA for video game companies I hate!

You've even pissed off the Doctor!

Untitled

Vincent294

Vincent294 said:

I'll still buy it, but count me out on any DLC. That will be my backlash for skipping the new 3DS.

redd214

redd214 said:

Shouldn't we just start not publishing the "xyz third party game is skipping nintendo systems" articles. Its mildly depressing and not a huge suprise anymore. Its actually nore suprising when a third paety game does come. Expecting third party support on the wii u is just delusional at this point. Im not saying its right or wrong but expecting it is just a suckers game outside of your Just Dance, Lego games etc. You want major third lo party games, suck it up and get another console

MoonKnight7

MoonKnight7 said:

@LegatoSkyheart

"I just can't see the justification. I was pretty sure that all of Capcom's Offerings on WiiU have sold decently."

The Wii U version of Revelations had pitiful sales. If we were going to get anything, it would have been on the 3DS. Since it seems there won't be a handheld version, I can see why the Nintendo is missing out. It's still disappointing of course, as the first one on 3DS was fantastic.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

Pretty disappointing... Loved the 1st on 3DS. If they're skipping based on lackluster Wii U sales of the original, I would assume they (amazingly) don't realize that most Wii U owners already bought/played on the 3DS. Even if sales for Wii U sucked, they should realize there IS an audience for a NEW game. Don't know if I'll get this for another platform or not, but if they don't do a "U turn", probably for Windows.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@MoonKnight7 Well, i bet any WiiU owner is also a 3DS owner and thus, probably already had the 3DS version of the game.
Seeing that both versions are identical, minus the added DLC stuff, i doubt that many people double dipped aat this point.

That might have been the biggest problem here, not the WiiU on its own.

NintendoFan64

NintendoFan64 said:

Hey, uh, third party developers? Maybe the Wii U would sell better IF YOU ACTUALLY MADE GAMES ON IT!!!!

Legromancer

Legromancer said:

maybe THE worst news of the year, Nintedo-ralted that is, for me.
This is a major blow to me.

eaglebob345

eaglebob345 said:

This comes TWO DAYS AFTER I BUY RE: REVELATIONS on Wii U AND HAVE OWNED IT ON 3DS FOR TWO YEARS! I swear, some of these third parties will bend over backwards to burn their own fans.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@NintendoFan64 Nah, they wont sell, they know it, by not having games released :P
In all honesty, THIS is the exact problem. All they did was release ports of already existing games and concluded "well, tehy wont sell"
Duh, of course they wont, only the most hardcore collectors buy multiple copys of games, if they are the exact same thing or in some WiiU cases, even are inferior, not by the consoles limitations, but by the developers intend.

RedRocBoy

RedRocBoy said:

This really pisses me off. I'm a big Resi fan, I bought the game on 3DS and Wii U. Really loved it , I don't think Capcom will be getting any more of my money. I wanted to support them on the Wii U but I guess Nintendo gamers dont matter.

3Daniel

3Daniel said:

I wonder what went into this decision tho.
It sold the best on the 3ds.

it reviewed the best on the 3ds.

I for one loved the episodic structure of the title and the 3d effect and feel that Revelations is best suited as a portable title. Unless they overhaul the structure and do away with all of Revelation's unique features they shouldn't call it Revelations 2. Perhaps we'll see this as a "new" title someday.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@Jazzer94 What are you refering to specifically ? :P
Theres a lot of things i cant prove in my last statements.
But that said, so cant the developers, in terms of excuses like "theres no demand" etc.
You can only judge demand, if the article, or something compareable, is already on the market.

You cant say there is no demand for grapefruit flavoured hot cocoa on the market, for the simple reason that it doesnt exist.
And the other way around: Remember that bubble tea craze ? I bet my left arm that before it was released, no person on the planet ever said "man, i wish there was tea with bathing perals in it right now"

It boild down to "release it or not". The Devs are the ones that should create such a demand, they are the ones in charge of making THAT game nobody knew that they needed it so much.

Thats how killer franchises came to life. Look at Monster Hunter. Did you ever felt the need that you needed a game solely consisting of boss battles with a VERY restrictive combat system, punishing difficulty and 90% of grinding ? On paper, the series concept sounds ridiculously bad, while its actually one of the most beloved franchises around.

Reverandjames

Reverandjames said:

@Gamer83 Exactly. I would understand to a certain extent if the 3DS version sold badly, but it didn't. That game felt right at home on a handheld, possibly this is the reason for the underwhelming sales on PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii U, and they then try and justify this by not releasing the game on ANY Nintendo platform. I really don't understand Capcom sometimes.

Punished_Boss_84

Punished_Boss_84 said:

I can't say I'm surprised, but if HD ports/REmakes are skimming pass Nintendo platforms then this company has messed up third party relations (if they exist).

BensonUii

BensonUii said:

Let's be honest, this game won't sell well on the Wii U. Please understand. I'd like them to bring Street Fighter V though. But Ono said on Twitter that it won't come on the Wii U so yeah, "are you freaking kidding me ???" :D

Reverandjames

Reverandjames said:

It won't sell well on any console except 3DS in my opinion. I doubt a lot of people will buy both Resi 1 remake and RE:R 2

eaglebob345

eaglebob345 said:

@Einherjar That's exactly how I felt about RE: R and MH3U, but I bought the Wii U versions recently because I thought it would help.

@Jazzer94 Sure there is no hard evidence that the sales of RE: R to 6+ million Wii U owners and 40+ million 3DS owners overlapped, but that doesn't mean that @Einherjar can't give an educated guess based off of the evidence given. Heck, according to VGChartz, It flopped on the Wii U and the 360 and sold the best on the 3DS (with half of the PS3's or 360's installed base). I can say with some certainty (as I was in that position until two days ago) that quite a few 3DS owners who also own a Wii U didn't get RE: R a second time. However, what's the 360's excuse? And why is it on the 360 and One with those kinds of sales?

Vincent294

Vincent294 said:

@Reverandjames That's exactly why I feel burned by Capcom, but I'll be sure to get this anyways. The new 3DS was perfect, and if they announce it for that, I'll endure quite a delay for a port.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

After the 3DS version outsold all other versions combined?!?

Capcom, ladies and gentlemen.

BF-Medic

BF-Medic said:

Nintendo need to make sure more 3rd.party titles are released on the Wii U.
All the big titles like this, that also get releases on PS3/X360, should make it's way to the Wii U!
I own both versions of this game, bought the Wii U version partly because I thought that would help getting more games on it....

eaglebob345

eaglebob345 said:

@Punished_Boss You do realize that the 3DS version sold the most, right? I know it's VG Chartz, but that does not mean it is wrong. Adding the VG Chartz numbers with the sales we know that got digitally (even though there is not a released number), and I am sure they passed the 1 million mark with just the 3DS and Wii U. So this "it won't sell" stuff needs to stop. REVELATIONS ALREADY SOLD BEST ON THE 3DS!

RedRocBoy

RedRocBoy said:

@BF-Medic Exactly. One of the main reasons I solely buy 3rd party games on Wii U. I want to support these devs. I thought they had a pretty good relationship. Guess besides MH it's a no go.

Shambo

Shambo said:

I'm starting to believe there's two companies called Capcom, since I see that name in both the better and the worse news, about that company make either the best or worst decisions. With amazingly good and terribly bad games.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@Punished_Boss Most of their profit from the first one came from Nintendo systems (3DS and WiiU combined), so theres that.
When solely judging by hardware sales alone, Nintendo is above microsoft on all ends. So wheres teh explaination for a One release, but no WiiU one ?

Capcom uses their own MT Frameworks engine, which is scaleable to ALL plattforms. They even used it back in the old cell phone days. Its one of the best engines when it comes to compatibillity, so theres also no excuse,

The biggest problem here is not the omission of nintendo systems in general, but the fact, that its evidentual, that the predecessor did best on nintendo systems and nowhere else. This lack of sense is the kicker here.

JosieC84

JosieC84 said:

I don't care! Haven't played a Resident Evil Game since RE:4. and I didn't like RE 5. It's more action based than survival horror. Other systems get this rubbish game, we get Project Zero/Fatal Frame 5...we hope

Ani-Ki

Ani-Ki said:

Thanks to the Nintendo 3DS Resident Evil Revelations becomes a great game. To skip Nintendo makes no sense!

BertoFlyingFox

BertoFlyingFox said:

I felt Revelations was perfect for handheld. Honestly, if it were at least announced for Vita I'd be happy. Switching to home consoles and missing WiiU is just extra sucky for me.

Reverandjames

Reverandjames said:

@JosieC84 You should play it, it's a great game and certainly less action packed than RE5. It plays very similarly to RE4 and is very claustrophobic as you are on a ship. Definitely one of the best Resi titles of the past 10 years.

LUIGITORNADO

LUIGITORNADO said:

Us Nintendo fans just don't buy violent games. We, my friends, are an abnormality, a different demographic than the other Wii U owners.

Punished_Boss_84

Punished_Boss_84 said:

@Einherjar @eaglebob345
I realise the 3DS version sold best (although more factors than just "sold best" apply here), but that doesn't change what i said. Capcom know what they're doing.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/02/capcom_resident_evil_revelations_3ds_sales_could_have_been_better "Given the large development costs we had on the 3DS version, we would have liked to have even a little more sales than we did in the end. But that doesn't mean we saw it as a failure by any means. (NL) Reading between the lines, we can assume that the 3DS version didn't sell well enough to recoup the cost of development, hence the need for this home console edition to balance the books."

But I'll play along. 3DS version eventually (2+ yrs) went on to sell (at best) a million. Judging by Capcom's comment it was barely enough to cover development costs? Add in Marketing costs? R&D costs? Manufacturing costs? Etc etc and did it do well?. On the subject on doing better than its HD brethren, less costs are involved in HD porting process rather than the actual development (so the profit would be different). But it took only a few months for the HD brethren to reach 1.1 million in comparison to 3DS's long term effort. Both were needed to balance each other out.

In case this is TLDR: Sold best isn't the whole the story, theres more to it than that. HD brothers have less costs involved. The reason its not on Nintendo systems is simply because Capcom know where the money is and they know where to focus it.

KikReask

KikReask said:

It doesn't seem fair in the slightest bit yeah considering it was originally a 3DS title (I haven't even bought the HD version yet) but at the very least it isn't next gen exclusive so I can still get it for the 360 or PS3. At the very least those two consoles are cheap these days if you still want this game.

Don't expect anymore Capcom games on Nintendo platforms, Capcom clearly doesn't like seeing how Nintendo is treating Mega Man these days with all that pointless love and affection. :P

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

Wow that sucks, I really liked Revelations on 3DS. The 3DS needs more game like that. Oh well, once I get a Xbox One, I'll be sure to pick this up.

Arngrim

Arngrim said:

I could understand the remake of the first one, but this? It's beyound stupid. :S
If this keeps going all we're gonna have is first party titles once every 5 months and then some crappy VC or indie games in between each big release.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@Punished_Boss Lets just stop here, if we continue, will will end up in discussion limbo :D Yes-No-Yes-No yadda yadda.

The only thing i have to add is: Capcom is the last company that knows what its doing, trust me ;)
It has its reasons why their funders left them for dead and they almost went bankrupt.
Capcoms CEOs have no clue how to run a consumer centered business, not at all.
It also wouldnt be the first major estimation error on their part. Remember the reason why MML3 was cancelled ? Because capcom predicted (and was certian) that the 3DS wont sell at all.
They canned MegaMan Universe, because "MegaMan wont sell anymore"
Look at reactions to Mighty Nr.9, Gunvolt and Mega in Smash.
They made Dead Rising 3 more gritty, because "it sells better this way"...and later needed to add a major DLC overhaul to add the goof back into it.

Capcom is known for their utter lack of good judgment, foresight and, frankly, common sense.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

I personally don't care much, since I don't like horror games, but this is definitely a slap in the face to fans who bought the original on the 3DS and made the installment a success. The 3DS version of Revelations sold more copies than the PS3 and 360 versions combined (according to VGChartz), so they can't even use sales as an excuse.

Caryslan

Caryslan said:

The real funny thing(and something I'm rooting for) is that this blunder means Koei Tecmo can buy out Capcom and their IPs(although, they can give Nintendo Mega Man)

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@Caryslan Highly unlikely, since Koei isnt really the most financially healthy company around. Much like Atlus, they lived from a rather small but dedicated fanbase.
If anything, it would be nintendo themself who would buy both of them ;)

Caryslan

Caryslan said:

@Einherjar I don't want any of the big three to buy a major third-party developer for one simple reason, it could start an arms race where hardware compaines snap up third-parties, especially the smaller or weaker ones.

For example, if Nintendo buys Capcom, then what's to stop Sony from buying Square Enix and cutting Nintendo off from Dragon Quest, Bravely Default, and Final Fantasy?

If Nintendo takes a bold move like buying Capcom, then I fear the other two will become more aggressive and start buying up all but the biggest third-parties.

The thing is Sony and Microsoft are not going to shrug their shoulders and do nothing if they suddenly lose major third-party games on their platforms. They will get more aggressive and this could backfire on Nintendo.

I would rather see Capcom go to either another big third-party developer like Bandai Namco or have it's leadership replaced with new blood.

TooManyToasters

TooManyToasters said:

This should be a new meme:

BAYONETTA 2 AND DEVIL'S THIRD EXCLUSIVE TO WII U...

CAPCOM JELLY, RESIDENT EVIL REVELATIONS 2 A NO SHOW.

tysonfury

tysonfury said:

I don't get it. Wii U is outselling XBone by thousands a week according to the controversial site vgchartz - and from a variety of sources its install base is currently 7m to XBones 5m and P24s 10m..

The argument that Wii U is not selling DOES NOT WASH

There must be another reason why so many 3rd parties are shying away, it must be something Nintendo themselves are doing or not doing...

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@Caryslan Youre perfectly right. But the problem is, these 3rd party studios are getting suffocated by powerhouses like EA, Ubi etc.
They have the financial backup to blow out game after game after game, even on the more costly systems.
This way, most of the "mainstream audience" gets saturated and wont be on the lookout for nishe titles, therefore, ignoring a probably expansive title for a smaller dev.
At this point, its quantity over quality. Or have you ever wondered why people constantly cry for more WiiU games, when we already have quite a healthy library of exceptionally good games to start ?
And these studios simply cant keep up with that.
That one of the big devs, or even the bigger big 3 will buy them is, more or less, inevitable.

Yosher

Yosher said:

DAMNIT. DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT.

Resident Evil Revelations was easily one of my most played games on both the 3DS and Wii U, and I've enjoyed playing them a lot. I really really wanted this one to come to either 3DS or Wii U.... Capcom is truly pushing me away from their products more and more. Keep it up, fellas, and I won't be buying any of your products at all anymore whatsoever.

XFsWorld

XFsWorld said:

I'm not surprised that it's not coming to WiiU, but I am surprised it's not coming to 3DS.

kereke12

kereke12 said:

@ajcismo Well said, We need new leadership. This outright ridiculous. But yet some of us Nintendo diehard are to naive to notice that at this point Nintendo is in big trouble. But I forgot "Please Understand". I simply don't understand why Nintendo diehards just sit there & say "That's Ok I'll just get it on my PS4, Or I'll just delete my game and save space for other-things." ←This right here is the problem.....Right here — Right Here.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Capcom knows how to destroy franchise, knowing Resident Evil whenever it become good on a Nintendo system they'll eventually ruin it with the sequel. These goofballs had being on life support now and they still refused to support platforms that could help them garnished some sort of profit. Just look at Shovel Knight, that is an NES Capcom style action platform game and it sells like doorbusters on both 3DS and Wii U, just look at the first Resident Evil Revelations, that game sells a ton of units, same for the Wii U version, now Capcom just want to ignore that?

I won't be surprise if these goofballs didn't make it to Gen 9 cuz every time this crappy company make a decision, it's usually to pissed off the fans. Also Breath of Fire 6 for mobile? Please just end your existence already Capcom, you guys had been going downhill since Mikami and Inafune left. Also you can keep this crap of a game away from the 3DS & Wii U, my money had already being saved for Fatal Frame V anyways and yes it's made by the same company (Tecmo Koei) you are trying to sued.

Diddy_kong

Diddy_kong said:

This is not a surprise, people. Like Thomas said in an article about a week ago: the Wii U works great in conjunction with a second console. That's pretty much the only way you're ever going to get all your bases covered these days.

If this game really means that much to you then go out there and buy a PS3 or 360; they're dirt cheap now, plus it'd open the door up to lots more third-party games as well. Or if you already have a PS4 or X1 then why are you complaining?

B_BIackNinja_N

B_BIackNinja_N said:

This isn't surpassing, just really disappointing. If they don't plan on making a WiiU version the last they can do is make a 3DS version. The game originally came out first on the 3DS at least keep the sequel on it. It's not like there isn't a market for those games on the 3DS.

zeldazero

zeldazero said:

This is why Nintendo should have bought Capcom out when they had the chance, so whatever happened to Capcom trying to sell out??

DiscoGentleman

DiscoGentleman said:

Sucks, man. Really, sucks. Resident Evil has been going down the tubes for a long while, though, so I'm not too upset. I am upset that the remaster of the REmake is not coming to Wii U, because that is my favorite RE game, hands down.
Gah... It could've been so good with the GamePad...

I guess I'll eventually buy Revalations 2 in like 5 years when I get around to buying a PS4. Things'll be cheap by then.

kensredemption

kensredemption said:

I'm sick of publishers and developers spewing that crap about the Wii U not having enough of an install base. It trumps the XBO user base by two million worldwide, but apparently that's not enough for these money-grubbing people. Ugh, that's it. I wash my hands of third-party developers.

Legromancer

Legromancer said:

so...we (3Ds owners) made this sub series a success but we (3DS owners) don't get the sequel...
although the audience is clearly on 3DS because...IT SOLD THE MOST THERE!
Betrayalton, royal Betrayalton Capcom.
Even games that ARE successful on Nintendo platforms don't get the sequel.
Will this situation ever change?

CaPPa

CaPPa said:

Revelations sold the most on 3DS.

I think part of what made the game good was the fact that it was designed for the 3DS. They likely had to confine the environments more due to less power, which made for some tense claustrophobic gameplay. The switch to more powerful systems could result in larger environments and lead back to the 3rd person shooter influence that has made the RE games rather mediocre in recent years.

So I won't be buying Revelations 2, in fact the only Crapcom game I can see me buying in the future is MH4U.

3Daniel

3Daniel said:

If the title isn't being built from the ground up for the 3ds like the first was I don't mind it skipping the handheld altogether. Part of the charm of the 3ds title was that it IS a portable Resident Evil. If it maintains the same structure and is not just a "plot continuation" then I get the criticism. Many devs have stated the similarity in xbox and ps hardware so I'd rather just have the glorious Revelations on the 3ds than a watered down port of a sequel that wasn't planned for the system from the get go. Now if they announced Revelations 2 for the 3ds or new3ds and it retained its gloriously cheesey chapter and recaps I'd day 1 it. If not, I'll just spend my money on MH4U.

edit @caPPa agree!

Amin_and_Azizah

Amin_and_Azizah said:

Personally for me this is great news because I bought the first game on the Wii U, I played that game and I did not find that game that good anyway. If I was to give that game the score I would give it a 7 out of 10 that's not bad but its not great either, so Capcom can take this game and shove it. As for the Wii U third party support, I actually want the system to get strong third party support and I'm not happy about what the third parties are doing but if the Wii U doesn't receive strong third party support then it is not a big loss because Nintendo don't even need third party support!!

Dandalfa00

Dandalfa00 said:

Rude. Rude. A million times rude. Nintendo helped keep Resident Evil afloat and is the platform for the amazing success that is Monster Hunter. Also, it's a giant middle finger to all of us that bought Revelations day one (despite the misprint), loved the game, and now can't play it's sequel.

Shy_Guy

Shy_Guy said:

I'm not surprised by this,but still angry that RE Remake is not coming to Wii U. It would of been fun to play it on the gamepad,Capcom is dead to me...

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

I can understand it not coming to 3DS if it's a larger game than the first one, but coming to the Xbox 360 and skipping the Wii U? The Wii U version of the original hardly did any worse than the Xbox 360 version, on a console with a much lower userbase....and now that there's been more Wii U sales with Mario Kart 8 and (soon) Super Smash Bros, you'd think that there's d be an even bigger market for the next one.

I'll buy this on PS3 or PS4, I hope the Xbox 360 version absolutely bombs again and teaches Capcom a lesson about kicking it's Nintendo fanbase in the teeth. (sorry if that sounds harsh)

Excep7ional

Excep7ional said:

I'm still going to get it. I loved the first one, so I hope this one will be just as good. I follow games, regardless of what system they are on, if it's something I like, I'll get it.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Well, thanks a lot, Capcom! Your appreciation of Nintendo fans is most appreciated! /sarcasm /redundance

Mega719

Mega719 said:

Whatever we have Fatal Frame V which would be much better than this crap don't expect it to be a survival horror

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

The reasoning is because of Xbox One and PS4. If this game was only coming to last gen, we might have seen it happen. The same thing goes for remake. They don't know how to put the 8th gen version onto Wii U. Activision had this exact problem with CoD Ghosts. If Wii U doesn't get the 8th gen version like it's supposed to, they might as well not even bother, because the game is already technically gimped at that point,

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

So let me guess this straight,Capcom is not releasing resident evil revelations 2 on any nintendo platform?Really Capcom?The Wiiu version of this if you made it would have sold terribly, i know but the 3DS version is where the money is that you freaking idiots!Oh my god what's your reason for that,is not powerful enough? Then make it for the new 3ds is that so hard?And come on the install base of the 3DS is bigger when you released the first one!Come on if you made it would have sold well and you know it Capcom.Oh wait is third party they hate the wiiu and the 3DS for some reason, which they know damn well it will sell good with the 3DS install base.If you think i'm buying it for my Xbox One and PC hell no screw you,i don't care anymore i'm not even kidding.This makes me not want to buy Monster Hunter 4,cause i don't want to support you anymore Capcom,that's how much i hate you, god not a good way to start Labor Day.

orangetack

orangetack said:

Why not 3DS? I mean, RE:Revelations sold well on 3DS, didn't it? Oh well. Capcom just won't be getting my money.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@Peach64 yes but isn't this coming to the X1? Which is also not selling that well and the wii u has a bigger install base and what about the 3ds? What's the excuse for skipping that?
This is foolish of Capcom and is one of the many reasons why they are failing as a company

TromboneGamer

TromboneGamer said:

This is absolutely hilarious. I'm sure there are some super intricate economics being assessed here, but it still hurts.

whodatninja

whodatninja said:

LOL Capcom. They have nothing to offer third parties nowadays besides endless Resi and Street Fighter updates! (though i lost interest in Resi after 4 so i have little add to the discussion i suppose)

flummerfelt

flummerfelt said:

Lol I am amazed... Even Capcom is pulling away from Nintendo now... Looks like I will be boycotting their games for the foreseeable future... Shame, I was looking forward to monster hunter 4.

sdcazares1980

sdcazares1980 said:

If this were a true next-gen game (Xbox One, PS4, and PC only), then I can understand the justification for not being on the Wii U, but c'mon developers, are we still in the 7th gen?

piojito_O

piojito_O said:

WHAT NONSENSE!

//whenever third parties skip us, I'd like to think there must be some good reasoning behind it ;
''yeah, it will likely go unnoticed by the "average" Nintendo consumer'' - "maybe it is more trouble to port/downscale/ than it's worth" [ ? ]

-yet they're releasing the sequel for Ps3 & 360

And those Revelations sales for the 3ds, show that they still have a strong following.
-so what's the excuse this time? /apparently they don't value their loyal supporters here..

Sometimes it seems like they only do it to spite the company.

• -
    I will wait until I see it dirt cheap and used, if I ever do buy. -.-;
Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

@sdcazares1980 I honestly thought a year ago that 360 and PS3 versions of current gen games would have been mostly gone by now yet here we are with most XB1 and PS4 games coming out for those systems (I thought Microsoft would have wanted XB1 to outsell Wii U...)

invictus4000

invictus4000 said:

WOW Crapcom...just WOW. Just when I thought you couldn't possible be any lower...you go and do something like this. And after the huge success of the first one on 3DS. Idiots...

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

I really hope this game fails now Crapcom, this is a huge disservice to those who brought the series off the ground. I could buy it for PC, but really I don't care anymore, they're probably gonn screw up anyway.

NImH

NImH said:

Now this really hits a nerve... I'm pissed. The Nintendo 3DS version is the reason that there was such an outcry for a multi platform release for crying out loud!
Ugh. That's a blow.

R_Champ

R_Champ said:

@2Sang

Hehehe, that's a good analogy. I feel either Capcom will eventually fail...or they'll just end up a laughingstock with a cheap rug for a wig keeping them afloat (Monster Hunter) like Trump.

And it's funny. They made RE 6 Xbox/PS3 only, and people hated it. They made RE Revelations exclusive to 3DS and people loved it. So what do they do? They move the one that's successful on a Nintendo system to the other two without any nod to the original...Capcom, YOU'RE FIRED!

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Let Capcom know how we feel about this.

RE Revelations 3DS sold around 800k without digital. Highest selling of any platform. Wii U sold 100k, granted many more would have bought it if 800,000 Nintendo gamers hadn't already scooped it up on 3DS. Even so, it STILL outsold the PC and sold half what the Xbox version did.

It's an outrage. Western AAA I understand, those games don't sell. But this is one game that does. That HAS. Let em know what we think about that boys... Let em know...

ghasfarost

ghasfarost said:

@Reverandjames completely agrees with you. I started to become a Resident Evil fan with my Game Cube. Even if I know RE had other origins than Nintendo systems, I just don't feel comfortable playing them on my PS3 or Xbox 360. Somewhat didn't feel right about RE5 and RE6...

GhotiH

GhotiH said:

A great reason here as to why Nintendo should buy Capcom. Capcom is too stupid to run things themselves. Revelations was the first game I played on my launch day 3DS that I liked and wasn't a remake. Shame that the sequel won't also be on 3DS.

Ryu_Niiyama

Ryu_Niiyama said:

Didn't this game sell well on Nintendo systems previously? I don't understand big business sometimes.

tovare

tovare said:

no problem, this will just be a rehash. if the gameplay and story was strong enough, it would have made it to 3ds at least. The sales cycle of xbox,pc and ps is very short, publishers need to pump out games at a rapid rate because the sales are gone in a couple of months when the hype is dead. Nintendo can charge full retail years after release, although it is nice to see the occational discount and the 20-30 year old VC titles are much cheaper than the original inflation-adjusted RRP and often epresents amazing value for money :-)

turnmebackwards

turnmebackwards said:

Loved the days of Resident Evil on the Gamecube shame those days won't continue with more Resident Evil on Nintendo systems like the Wii U sad days ahead.

whanvee

whanvee said:

Guess I'm buying this used for the 360 when it goes down under 10 bucks. Won't have to worry about buying it day one on wii u, which is what I do with most of my games. Sorry Capcom no money from me for you, not that you care anyways.

Rockmirth

Rockmirth said:

I never understand why they cant just put it on wii u when they release it for ps3 and 360.

mamp

mamp said:

Don't really care since I decided I'm going muti-plat this gen, sucks for those who can't though :/

Caryslan

Caryslan said:

Ok, one thing I don't get is this. If the game is being made for the PS3, Xbox 360, and the next-gen consoles, then that means it would be larger and more ambitious then the first game that came out on the 3DS and was ported to other consoles.

Think about this, you are all crying foul over a game that might not even be possible on the 3DS. This is not the first game to move from a handheld to a home console or from a home console to a handheld.

Capcom sees potential in the series and they want to expand it on more powerful hardware. What is the issue with that? I could understand the anger over not getting a Wii U version, but think about this. If a 3DS version did exist, it would either be a watered down port, or would drag down the console versions to make it fair.

So, your choices are either a watered down port of a game, or a version that because of its much weaker hardware will hold back the console versions, especially the ones on the PS4 and Xbox 360.

Capcom wants to expand this series to the consoles with a proper console entry. What is the issue with that? I'm not a fan of Capcom, but it sound like people would rather see Revelations 2 held back then see what potential it could have by being built on hardware that's more powerful then the 3DS.

I think a Wii U port should exist, but a 3DS version would hold back what is clearly something built for home consoles.

mike_intv

mike_intv said:

The worst thing is that the general gaming media won't even ask why this is not on Nintendo platforms. For example, IGN did not even mention that the game was ports tot the WiiU (listing only PS3 and X360) in the background of the story.

BEASTMODE

BEASTMODE said:

Nintendo needs to buy capcom and make all of their games exclusive to nintendo platforms, also new megaman game would be nice to see if that is possible.

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

ok, first of all I think its full of crap they decided to skip Nintendo.....even 3DS. Second, since this trailer is showing zombies i wonder if there will be ACTUAL zombies in this one. It IS disappointing that its skipping Wii U but we saw this coming people. I guess ill get it for PS4 then

Mus1cLov3r

Mus1cLov3r said:

They won't be getting my money for this game, them..... (>.<) I really wanted to play it.

MoonKnight7

MoonKnight7 said:

@Einherjar

"Well, i bet any WiiU owner is also a 3DS owner and thus, probably already had the 3DS version of the game"

That may be somewhat true. But if a game doesn't even sell 100k (vgchartz) it's really hard to justify a sequel. No business person would agree it"s the right decision regardless of what it was on beforehand. To be quite frank, I really don't think the 3DS double dipping effected it's sales that much, and if it did, how many more sales do you think it would have gotten? We know mature games haven't been selling well, so maybe 150-200k (we certainly can't assume that the 3DS sales would transfer sales for sale)? Is that enough sales to go through the extra work that the Wii U naturally brings?

DaemonSword

DaemonSword said:

"Capcom turns heel on Nintendo, tells fans to go to hell." I'm instantly transported to wrestling of the 80's-90's, where heel turns meant something, minus the fact this is a real life heel turn. You go to hell, Capcom!!

ddbangsy

ddbangsy said:

You are certainly pushing yourself away from a lot of fans, Capcom. RE has a big following on Nintendo platforms. You've just lost yourself a customer.

SuperMalleo

SuperMalleo said:

claps hands Bravo Crapcom! You have absolutely made fools out of yourselves. Disappointing the fans of Resident Evil and especially Megaman really made you feel like king of the world, didn't it? You guys must be real proud right now.

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

They are making one for Xbone but not Wii U? Talk about a slap in the freaking face.

wolvesboy

wolvesboy said:

It seems us Wii U owners are taking it up the ass once again and as for Nintendo buying Capcom I hope they don't

Sinister

Sinister said:

Shame it is skipping the 3DS. Kind of a strange choice considering the first on 3DS pretty much saved RE.

Salamihawk

Salamihawk said:

All of these big games coming out soon that are skipping the Wii U are coming to PC, so no big deal for me. I still won't buy them at full price. Steam Summer/Xmas Sales FTW :D

dumedum

dumedum said:

Looks like a missed opportunity. This could have been developed for the awesome new 3DS with that second stick and extra buttons etc.

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

Yep, let's just forget that the superior version of the original was the 3DS version!!! Well, the Wii U version was loads better than the versions on the other consoles too (The touch screen helps), but that game was best on Handheld.. It looked fantastic and played great!!

mh1989

mh1989 said:

Freakin sellouts talk about a hit and run on nintendo , oh well guess it's the last capcom game i ever get since i only have a 3DS