Mario Kart 8 Sells More Than 1.2 Million Units in Opening Weekend

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Immediately becomes one of the Wii U's top sellers

This past weekend was all about Mario Kart 8 for plenty of Wii U gamers, and Nintendo has now released figures that show a particularly impressive performance for the title in its opening weekend — the hype and excitement seems to have paid off.

Nintendo has confirmed that from 29th May (the Japanese release date) to 1st June, Mario Kart 8 has sold more that 1.2 million copies around the world. To put that into some context, that means it's almost — already — the sixth best selling Wii U game to date, as Nintendo's most recent financial results showed The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD in that position with 1.22 million sales since its release last year. The big N has also highlighted that the first seven entries in the series have combined for just over 100 million sales, with massive numbers for Mario Kart DS (23.56 million) and Mario Kart Wii (35.53 million) being joined most recently by Mario Kart 7 (9.62 million). Nintendo's latest results also had the Wii U hardware userbase at 6.17 million units, though in the UK alone the release of Mario Kart 8 has brought a dramatic increase in system sales.

Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime had this to say in the announcement:

The early response to Mario Kart 8 demonstrates that the best days for Wii U are still ahead. This year’s E3 is just days away, and it will be all about the future games for Nintendo platforms. This milestone is a great place to start!

It's certainly a strong start for the kart racer, and Nintendo will no doubt expect to convert more current Wii U owners and others to buy the console for the title in the coming weeks and months.

GloverMist

GloverMist said:

Wow. That, plus the 666% console sales boost in the UK? I think it's safe to say this is gonna do well!

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

It's deserved. I ADORED MK8 at gamestop after playing multiple times. I NEED this, along with a WiiU.

2Sang

2Sang said:

Not surprised it's a huge success, after all it's one of the very few reasons to even own a wii u. Hopefully this is the start to a bunch of good games and no game droughts.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Now they just need those kinds of sales numbers to continue...for the entirety of the Wii U's life.

Corleonis88

Corleonis88 said:

one of every 6 wii us has amrio kart 8? that´s a lot.
I wonder if they counted digital copies

ModestFan93

ModestFan93 said:

Can we get Reggie DLC? To celebrate the news of course!

This is awesome to hear. Hopefully more has yet to come.

Dark-Luigi

Dark-Luigi said:

MK8 is my reason to own a Wii U. I seriously can't stop playing it, it'll never get old. My GOTY makes an amazing success, and will continue to do so. :D

Peach64

Peach64 said:

Now give us the hardware numbers! This was always going to sell well to the current crowd. What we really need is it to boost the install base.

AdanVC

AdanVC said:

An people doubt about MK as a system seller? Pfffff. Absolutely awesome news! And this was just on it's first WEEKEND! I honestly tought it will make the million mark in it's first week but accomplish this in less than that is just amazing.

marko

marko said:

i wonder how many were wii u bundles.
Please be a lot!!!
Wii U needs to reach 9million units in 2014 to meet expectations!

Nintendo Keep those party games coming I have 4 friends coming over for Mario Kart action tonight!!

MinecraftGreek

MinecraftGreek said:

Frankly that number should equal 100% of Wii U owners....especially since they were giving away a free game if you registered it. No brainer.

Technosphile

Technosphile said:

Look I'm happy too, but I'd rather be hearing they sold 1.2 million Wii U's over the weekend.

We knew the game would sell. The console, on the other hand....

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

I think Luigi definitely played his part in this.
Untitled
He's been taking out the competition one by one.
Untitled
But seriously this is fantastic news for me Mario Kart 8 is a game changer if Nintendo can harness this momentum the Wii U might actually make a turn around I mean 1.2 million sales is crazy in such a short space of time wow especially considering the install base before the game launched.

Gen0neD

Gen0neD said:

Other than the lack luster roster and battle mode, i'll give MK 9/10. Awesome. Excellent. Superb. Here's hoping for some E3 dlc announcements for MK. Namely, more characters. Petey Piranha comes to mind and Samus would be cool with a motorcycle that has morph balls for wheels.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Took everyone long enough...now go give Tropical Freeze and 3D World some love. lol

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

Tempted to get Mario Kart because it gets me a copy of the wonderful 101... albeit a digital one (which I have no space for). Hmm
This is an evergreen title so lets hope we get another million by next weekend.

Goginho

Goginho said:

@Jazzer94 bwahahaha XD ohh, I'm dyin' here! That look of anger on his face...when he swept Toadette off the road with that shell. She underestimated the Luigi, the green machine.

daveh30

daveh30 said:

Hopefully we get some release dates coming up at E3, something to maintain and build off this momentum... looking at the release schedule right now, there isn't much there... hopefully they're aren't taking this straight into another drought...

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

1.2mil in 3 days? People, poopiedoodoocacapoopledoopledoggiedooplepoopledoops just got real.

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

I really hope it's the truth regarding E3's focus... Sonic Boom being released in November just made me very concerned about the distribution of Wii U game release dates.

On a lighter note, the Luigi GIFs are hilarious :P

SleepyCrossing

SleepyCrossing said:

I got the MK8 bundle, though I've yet to set it up (been insanely busy). I'm glad the game sold well so far, I just hope it continues to do so- and what we all really want to see, which is the hardware sales! Well I bought the bundle so that's 1 more Wii U sold..

GalacticMario28

GalacticMario28 said:

This is great news, exactly what I was hoping to hear. I'm glad that Reggie emphasized how this is a start. That gives me hope that Nintendo won't just sit back and expect MK8 to do all the work. I really hope this brings a big increase in console sales.

MoonKnight7

MoonKnight7 said:

This is fantastic. A nice little pre-game before E3. It's so nice to get good Nintendo news for once, haha. They have decent momentum now, capitalize on it with E3.

Monkeyofthefunk

Monkeyofthefunk said:

I sold my Wii U last year because of a lack of games but I knew I would always come back for MK8. What a game! I picked up Pikmin 3 as my free game and that's a load of fun too.
Nintendo have always produced great games and consoles and the Wii U is the best out there right now.

Let's hope E3 brings some great games.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

The only thing now is for Nintendo to sustain this level of console sales...
...
...
HAHAHAHAHA this is Nintendo. I hope everyone's prepared for another 3 months with nothing worth playing :)

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

Picked up MK8 (and got Pikmin 3 free) this weekend instead of waiting til the end of June. I am having a blast playing it, but I can tell I've not played Mario Kart since the DS version. Especially when I go online. I don't remember everyone loading up on super heavyweights and just bruising their way on the track.

Pikmin 3 was the greater surprise as I really like it. I just really stink at it and rarely have time with the TV to enjoy it as it should be played. I tried the stylus control and it just doesn't work for me like it did in the Nintendoland version.

MinecraftGreek

MinecraftGreek said:

So at E3 Nintendo says Zelda Wii U coming this fall....Hyrule Warriors coming this Summer....Metroid Trilogy HD coming this fall, Metroid for set for 1st quarter 2015, Yoshi Yarn coming this summer, Zelda OOT:MM HD set in December. Right?

Monkeh

Monkeh said:

I wonder if this takes Eshop purchases into account, since that's where I bought it.

Zed101

Zed101 said:

I pre-purchased MK8, my 9yo is a big fan, I have to give credit this is the best MK since Double Dash IMO, that said I still loathe the game with a vengance, I just cannot get past it not mattering how well I drive I get skanked from 1st down to 6th place 2 seconds from the line after being hit by a barrage of weapons,

Just wish there was a mode where you could disable all the weapons and just race.... SOOOO ANNOYING!!!!

That said completed the 50 and 100cc Grand Prix's before the actual release date!!!

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

I assume this figure includes digital downloads since it is coming from Nintendo themselves. If they had more sales to announce they would. Regardless 1.2 million in a few days is impressive and this will sell for the next 5 years.

Can't wait to see the Direct for E3. I'm hoping Nintendo piggy backs off this momentum and gives those who haven't jumped on the U bandwagon a reason to run out and purchase one.

For those of you looking for some laughs....go check out the 1 star MK8 reviews on Amazon...........at least the US site is filled with nonsense that is rather amusing.

ScorpionMG

ScorpionMG said:

@Gerbwmu i just checked Uk's amazon, not a single one or two star rating, i guess US people are more stupid than i thought
EDIT: No offence to the US people, I just wanted to point out how bad at trolling people have became.

hydeks

hydeks said:

of course this is gonna be a big sale, this, mario 3d world and donkey kong country are the only games worth it on the Wii U :-P

@ScorpionMG thats a pretty ignorant statement, lots of americans like Nintendo, but when you have a choice between 3 consoles and Nintendo releases one good game almost once every 3-4 months, its kinda hard to feel that love for Nintendo we once had.

Sir_JBizzle

Sir_JBizzle said:

Amazing news! Though I'm also curious as to what the new hardware attach rate is... Playing off the earlier article, that number has got to be pretty high, being that 80 some-odd percent of Wii U's sold were MK8 bundles. Then there's the fact that how many were digital vs physical sales? Though I'm leaning towards @gerbwmu theory...

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

It's definitely one of my favorite Mario Karts so far! This and 7...oh man I love MK7. I was a bit disappointed that MK8 didn't bring my favorite MK7 course, Rock Rock Mountain, to the big screen, but it's hard to complain with such a good game! One of the things I loved about 7 was that it brought back my four favorite courses from MK Wii. What are the odds?

Sakura

Sakura said:

6.17 million Wii U units? Sounds like a fair few customers to me, despite not being as high as other consoles. Is that the number of consoles sold by Nintendo to retailers to sell on or the actual number of consoles sold by retailers to customers?

Remisio

Remisio said:

Twitch E3 broadcast Schedule:

Monday 6/9 PT

•9:30am – Xbox E3 2014 Media Briefing
•11:00am – Xbox E3 2014 Media Briefing Post show
•11:30pm – Hotline Miami 2 (Dennaton Games/Devolver Digital)
•12:00pm – EA World Premiere: E3 2014 Preview
•1:00pm – EA Special Event
•2:00pm – EA World Premiere: E3 2014 Post show
•2:30pm – Bethesda (Unannounced title)
•3:00pm – Ubisoft 2014 E3 Media Briefing
•4:00pm – Ubisoft 2014 E3 Media Briefing Post show
•4:30pm – Witcher 3 (CD Projekt RED)
•5:00pm – Dying Light (Techland)
•5:30pm – Final thoughts
•6:00pm – PlayStation E3 2014 Press Conference

Tuesday 6/10 PT:

•9:00am – Nintendo Digital Event
•10:00am – Deep Silver (Unannounced title)
•10:15am – Deep Silver (Unannounced title)
•10:30am – Dragon Age: Inquisition (EA)
•11:00am – Ubisoft (Unannounced title)
•11:20am – The Division (Ubisoft)
•11:40am – Farcry 4 (Ubisoft)
•12:00pm – Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Activision)
•12:20pm – Microsoft Studios (Unannounced title)
•12:40pm – Microsoft Studios (Unannounced title)
•1:00pm – DRIVECLUB (SCEA)
•1:20pm – Evil Within (Bethesda)
•1:40pm – Lords of the Fallen (NAMCO)
•2:00pm – Destiny (Activision/BUNGIE)
•2:20pm – The Order: 1886 (SCEA)
•2:40pm – Nintendo (Unannounced title)
•3:00pm – Evolve Special Tournament (2K)
•4:00pm – Super Smash Bros. Invitational (Nintendo)

Wednesday 6/11 PT:

•10:00am – Alienware
•10:30am – Twitch Time
•11:00am – Sunset Overdrive (Insomniac Games/Microsoft Studios)
•11:20am – Microsoft Studios (Unannounced title)
•11:40am – Killer Instinct: Season Two (Iron Galaxy/Microsoft Studios)
•12:00pm – Square Enix (Unannounced title)
•12:20pm – Warhammer 40k: Eternal Crusade (Square Enix)
•12:40pm – H1Z1 (Sony Online Entertainment)
•1:00pm – EA (Unannounced title)
•1:20pm – Batman: Arkham Knight (Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment)
•1:40pm – Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment)
•2:10pm – Nintendo (Unannounced title)
•2:30pm – Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment (Unannounced title)
•2:50pm – Crytek (Unannounced title)
•3:00pm – SCEA (Unannounced PS4/PS3 title)
•3:15pm – SCEA (Unannounced PS4/PS Vita Digital title)
•3:30pm – Hohokum (Honeyslug, SCE Santa Monica Studio)
•3:45pm – Helldivers (Arrowhead Game Studios/Sony Computer Entertainment)
•4:00pm – Alien Isolation (The Creative Assembly/SEGA)
•4:20pm – Civilization: Beyond Earth (2K)
•4:40pm – Diablo III: Reaper of Souls – Ultimate Evil Edition on PS4 (Blizzard)
•5:00pm – Evolve Special Tournament (2K)

Thursday 6/12 PT:

•10:00am – Tetris w/creator Alexey Pajitnov
•10:15am – Zombies Monsters Robots (Ying Pei Games)
•10:30am – Guinness World Records – certificate presentation
•11:00am – Fable Legends (LionHead/Microsoft Studios)
•11:20am – Microsoft Studios (TBD)
•11:40am – Project Spark (Team Dakota/Microsoft Studios)
•12:00pm – Nintendo (Unannounced title)
•12:20am – Square Enix (Unannounced title)
•12:40pm – PlanetSide 2 PS4 Edition (Sony Online Entertainment)
•1:00pm – 505 Games (TBD) •1:20pm – Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment (Unannounced title)
•1:40pm – Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (Gearbox/2K)
•2:00pm – Ubisoft (Unannounced title)
•2:20pm – The Crew (Ubisoft)
•2:40pm – Nintendo (Unannounced title)
•3:00pm – Tecmo Koei (Unannounced title)
•3:20pm – Disney Infinity 2.0: Marvel Super Heroes (Disney Interactive)
•3:40pm – SEGA Sonic BOOM! (SEGA)
•4:00pm – Evolve Special Tournament (2K)

4 unannounced wiiu titles? Interesting. Just thought I'd put this here.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

@ScorpionMG - Hey now...........actually the older I get the more i believe that statement to be true, but I'd like to think most of us are still reasonable, knowledgeable and rational people.

LunarHalo24

LunarHalo24 said:

Mario Kart has been known to sell systems. It's great that the Wii U is finally picking up! Now we just have to see what else Nintendo has in store for us at E3.

Melkac

Melkac said:

@hydeks Pikmin 3, WWHD, Monster Hunter Ultimate, The Wonderful 101, Lego City Undercover...and that's just exclusives. Do we really have to do this every single freaking time? Ugh.

Ryno

Ryno said:

@Zed101: It's best to learn to accept that Mario Kart is built to knock you back from the lead all the time. If you want a game where you can stay in first place because you are so good then there are plenty of other racers out there.

ScorpionMG

ScorpionMG said:

@Gerbwmu @hydeks I didn't mean for the general public, i wanted to say that the trolls are pretty bad.
Here are some points which made me laugh pretty good
"This game falls far short of that with poor responding controls and almost PS One like load times. The carts & bikes drive like furniture through a tar pit with sluggish at best response times. The drift system has been ruined with a gargantuan annoying hop at the start of the drift that takes away control and offers little gain for speed"

"And the graphics aren't even as good as the sonic racing game also on the wii U. Not to mention that when you you use the upad it still displays split screen during multiplayer... how lazy! Not to mention it runs at 720p instead of 1080p... and not even 60fps!"

"I played Mario kart 1 and loved it. 20 years later 8 comes out and sorry but did I miss something? I remember 1, 64 and double dash. I think the developers forgot how to count because it should be Mario cart 4. Anyway the game is unrealistic and you can play as a gorilla. I'm sorry but I work with gorillas all day and not once have I seen them drive a car. The gorilla can NOT drive. would you feel comfortable with a gorilla driving your car? I did not think so. Soon kids will think gorillas can, and this cannot happen. 0/5 stars a giant failure."

"Crap waste of money same repetitive stuff game is lame and boring maybe fun for little kids but I didn't like it stick to mario kart double dash best one out there in my opinion they over hyped this Garbadge to much"

" Also they don't tell you how to get good at the game, so whenever
you start you are going to get owned. OH and if your Wii u is dusty from not playing it in 1 year, you may want to blow
it off. Anyways i rate this game 1/5, for obvious reasons. But i recommend this game if you are a big fan. so 5/5 for big fans :D"

Mega719

Mega719 said:

I hope Hyrule Warriors gets the same results as they want too that game deserves a lot of praise

jariw

jariw said:

@Monkeyofthefunk Make sure to check out 3D World and Topical Freeze as well! And Lego City: Undercover, if you haven't played it (it's a really great game).

jjmesa16

jjmesa16 said:

The last sentence should be Wii instead of Wii U, as Wii U owners have already converted to Wii U.

It's great to hear Mario Kart 8 is doing so well. Just wait until smash comes out to see crazier figures.

Zed101

Zed101 said:

@Ryno , Yeah I know, just don't have the patience, like I said despite my annoyance, it doesn't stop me from returning to play it again and again,

On line is a massive boost, despite my heavy Nintedo bias I can't help feeling that Mod Nation Racers is still a better game in many ways, although MK is AWESOME it would have been nice to have a track customiser etc... to really indulge the MK fans, just think how good that would have been an MK8 track builder, and a massive online network to indulge creativity with!!! not to mention how much money N could have generated from DLC and Addons!

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

A game crafted with so much love definitely deserves these sales. Also, Nintendo's marketing was very smart. They release this game 11 days before E3! Gamers got a good taste of Mario Kart 8, and now they will be intrigued to see what Nintendo has to offer at E3. It's like jumping of the blue ramp in MooMoo Meadows (release of Mario Kart 8), and the taking another boost with a nearby ramp while gliding (E3).

Dr_Corndog

Dr_Corndog said:

Mario Kart 8 may be the best in the series. This is coming from someone who hasn't really LOVED a Mario Kart since Double Dash.

HappyMaskedGuy

HappyMaskedGuy said:

Great game, me and my brother are absolutely lovin the two player online races. It's like Scotland versus the world on that thing, true underdog stuff. Those Frenchies didn't know what hit em! :p

HappyMaskedGuy

HappyMaskedGuy said:

Also really want to see how many Wii U consoles were sold thanks to MK8's success. Finally, a good financial payoff for Nintendo! Crack open the champagne, darlings!

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Mario Kart 8 deserves to be a system seller. Nintendo has put so much effort into the game, from the graphics to the music to the actual racing. It's a game that will sell for years to come. Mario Kart is the evergreen Nintendo series.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

@cookiex @sakura It's the number shipped, not sold through to customers. Nintendo always report shipped numbers, as do Microsoft. Sony will start doing the same as soon as sales goes below shipped.

I know a lot of people were mad by how long we had to wait for MK8, but I agree with @Funny_Moblin that the timing of this release was pretty smart. They knew they'd get a few positive press releases out of this launch, and then in a week's time, hopefully there will be more positive buzz from some big announcements at E3.

dumedum

dumedum said:

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. Everybody loves Mario Kart. These are incredible numbers for Nintendo.

MAN1AC

MAN1AC said:

I guess that free game went a long way in pushing sales. Hopefully has something lineup up for this month to keep the momentum going.

Remisio

Remisio said:

@ScorpionMG No, problem. But it is kind of weird... "Hey, America! We know you were the ones who tried to expand your territory into ours and everything... But still sorry for burning down the Yellow House! We'll rebuild and paint it for you... But we only have white paint. Sorry Guys!"

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@Peach64

June NPD will be interesting. With Mario Kart 8 having been on the market for a month and with the $400 Xbox One releasing at the start of the month, Sony may find itself back in third place in North America - where it spent the entirety of last gen- especially if a good number of strong PS4 exclusives aren't shown at E3. And I'm not talking indie games.

Emaan

Emaan said:

Very good news~

Hopefully it will continue to be a big seller through the rest of the year.

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

So THAT'S why I keep getting communication errors when playing online. At least it is a good reason!

fluggy

fluggy said:

Stunning game... Love playing it with my son .... and a free game too... We chose Pikmin 3!!! An absolutely charming delight!!! Never played a Pikmin game before. Highly recommend it (unless you've not got Wind Waker yet!!!)

MoonKnight7

MoonKnight7 said:

@fluggy

Nice, I hope you enjoy both games!

Pikmin 3 was the reason why I bought a Wii U in the first place. Every other game has been icing on the cake.

Falkor

Falkor said:

Nintendo knows exactly what they're doing. Build hype with Mario Kart 8, and capitalize on it before it fizzles out with a bunch of exciting stuff at E3. Good strategy.

jasonbra

jasonbra said:

@vamkar K thats amazing. lol

Fantastic numbers. I was thinking in its first weekend around 500k-600k. 1.2 million is great. And apparently theres been a huge rise in sales of hardware as well. If Nintendo shows off Zelda, Metroid, Mario at e3 they might have a really good year.

jariw

jariw said:

@fluggy Don't forget to check out the 2-player local modes (co-op and battle) in Pikmin 3 as well. They are really really fun (using 2 nunchucks)!

kereke12

kereke12 said:

THIS IS SUCH GOOD NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nintendo is back!!! Now I'm interested in seeing what the consoles sells are?

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Haha, that's some traditional Nintendo magic here! Success against all odds, or rather, AGAINST THE DOMINATION!

kensredemption

kensredemption said:

I've never once wavered in my support for Nintendo since the Wii U's launch. I'm euphoric to see things turning around for them. :)

Excep7ional

Excep7ional said:

Looking at those Luigi gifs, dude is seriously a boss.

Luigi >>>> Mario.

I'm glad people are starting to recognize the Wii U now. This just made my choice between a PS4 and Wii U that much harder.

ShockeyRai

ShockeyRai said:

Yep, I got a copy of the game for my birthday today,
I chose New Super Mario Bros. U as my free game. :)

Achoo

Achoo said:

@hydeks Nonsense...Rayman Legends is best on Wii U and defo worth it, Pikmin 3 is probably the best game on the system, Zombi U is underratted and well worth playing, Nintendoland, New Super Luigi U, Wind Waker and I could go on. Loads of great games

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

Smart move releasing Mario Kart 8 so close to E3. The game was never going to "save" the system. All Kart 8 has to do is create that initial spark that later games can build off of. Releasing it so close to E3 allows them to build off the momentum easily.

Luffy

Luffy said:

its SAD!

THE BEST MARIO KART OF ALL TIME WILL BE THE WORST SELLING OF ALL TIME.

from MK 1-7 only 1 has below 6M sales.

there are 6M wii U owners. So this MK will be the worst selling of all time ever. but its the best one. sad

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

Whoop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I myself sadly don't have it yet :( I'm planning on grabbing it next month, so I'll be able to get my free game still! Looks, sounds and is AMAZING! Glad to see that it is doing so well!

Henmii

Henmii said:

Nintendo's first Wii u succes? Wii u's turning point? Hopefully! Good job!

electrolite77

electrolite77 said:

@Luffy

Oh no! Can nobody who buys a Wii U in the future buy it? What about current Wii U owners who haven't got it yet? Silly of Nintendo to restrict it like that!

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

this is great news i hope this continues this year, Come on nintendo E3 alomst here amaze us.

Andremario

Andremario said:

whaaat? Unrandomsam doesn't have ish smartalecky or negative to say? hmph! I say take THAT! Haters! Nintendoes!!

mostro328

mostro328 said:

Im having so much fun anyone else experiencing this

"only one more race" 10 races later "just one more" LoL

Luffy

Luffy said:

@electrolite77 even if all current Wii you owners buy it eventually it's still worst selling of all time.

Also, some new systems will be sold by mk8 for sure. But let's say a mircle happens and mk8 sells 1 million wiiU and games it's still 2nd worst selling mk of all time ever.

It's just sad!

I'm enjoying mine. So I don't care but it's just sad mpre won't get to enjoy this title.

Nintonic

Nintonic said:

I love how it only took 3 days to get it to be the 6th most popular Wii U title. Imagine just what would happen in a month!

Lobster

Lobster said:

@Luffy I wasn't aware they were banning all sales of Wii U consoles effective immediately. I'm glad I already bought mine!

MK8 + Smash + Zelda will sell a ton of Wii Us over the course of the system's lifespan. Not as much as the other two but you don't have to weep over MK8 on its fourth day out when it's selling so incredibly well.

DJSmith99

DJSmith99 said:

I knew something was up when I went to Target to buy the game and found no MK8 copies. There were two bundles left, and I got the game by downloading it. My brother and I love this game. Just need to get my friends to come over and play it.

Rafie

Rafie said:

@Gamer83 You mean in North America, right? WW Sony still outsold MS. I know this is a good time for Nintendo fans to be excited. Heck, I'm right there with them. However, this doesn't mean that the Wii U sales will just sky rocket from this point on. Once Smash hits, it's going to be CRAZY!!!

I'm not in the least bit surprised that MK8 did better than both InFamous and Titanfall during their launch week (MK8 did it in 3 days). This game is deserving of it. Thus far between InFamous and MK8, I don't know which game is better. I guess it depends on what you like. Still, MK8 has proven itself to be in the likes of conversations and debates with Titanfall and InFamous....no doubt.

RoomB31

RoomB31 said:

Will be getting my copy next week, been waiting for the hubby to be back so we can play, I'm so nice for waiting! and we already have a few MK8 dates with friends! so excited!!

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@Rafie

Yeah, I meant NA. Although Sony only barely beat MS worldwide and it took until the last year or just before the last year of the generation.

Anyway, I'm actually more of a PlayStation gamer, and I have inFamous: Second Son and Mario Kart 8 and I have no problem saying the latter is not just a better game, it's a much, much better game. Second Son is a very good game but was also a disappointment in how short it was and how little interactivity there is with the open world. It also felt very barren compared to something like Watch Dogs or GTA, which have living, breathing cities.

Mario Kart 8, on the other hand, is the current best racer of this gen and one of the best racers on the market, period.

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

System seller? Really? Until there is a confirmed number of systems sold, I refuse to believe MK8 is a 'system seller'. Super Mario 3D World. Donkey Knog Country Tropical Freeze. Lego City Undercover. Pikmin 3. X. Even Smash Bros. But Mario Kart? 1.2 million games sold is still failing. If Nintendo hasn't pushed 4 million copies by year's end, I'm expecting another price cut and more discontinuations.
Seriously, that's not even close to 100 million in sales. The Wii U was damned from the get go by influential 3rd party publishers and has never and will never recover.

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

Oh and while European gamers have access to a plethora of great 'free' games to pick from for the Club Nintendo offer, the NA selection is TERRIBLE. Wii Party U is Nintendo brand shovelware and anyone who doesn't have the other 3 either doesn't want them or just got a Wii U. Myself, I own all 3. So don't go throwing the 'but you get a free game' garbage out there. For long term NA Wii U owners, the deal isn't worth, due to the extremely uninspired selection. No Sonic, no MH3 and no Wonderful 101?
No buy, please understand.

Thulfram

Thulfram said:

I just looked at Amazon in the US (where I live) and the reviews are very, very positive. Out of 155 reviewers, 122 rated MK8 as 5 stars (the best). The rest were pretty evenly split: 14 at 4 stars, 7 at 3 stars, 3 at 2 stars, and 9 at one stars. Amazon also has a flag on their page saying that Mario Kart 8 is the #1 best seller in video games!

So it looks like most of the US is buying the game, and there isn't a combo package for Wii U + MK8 yet.

FilmerNgameR

FilmerNgameR said:

Woah! I even haven't got MK8 yet! lol it's nice to see that its selling well in just one weekend can't wait to get it too! :D

HawkeyeWii

HawkeyeWii said:

Fantastic game!! PS4 and Xbox One graphics, eat your heart out.
I'm glad it is selling so well. It is too bad Nintendo couldn't do a one two punch with this game this month and Super Smash Bros. Next month. That would really sell units and keep people satisfied.

GreatPlayer

GreatPlayer said:

@ScorpionMG @NodesforNoids I actually prefer Sonic Transformed to Mario Kart 8, but the free game deal is pretty sweat. I got my free copy of Pikmin 3 and it is an innovative awesome game. I don't know Wii U Party or Windwaker, but just got Pikmin 3 makes me smile. After playing Pikmin 3, I returned back to playing my all-time love Sonic Transformed.

Lobster

Lobster said:

@NodesforNoids is just trolling.

I went for NSMBU for my free game btw because it was the only one I didn't already have (I live in NA). I agree that it sucks the selection is so slim compared to the UK but free is free. It's still a good game I didn't have!

Action51

Action51 said:

@Rafie - You have the right idea. This is good news but let's not loose our heads. MK8 is great, and Smash is looking amazing too.

At the same time, the people trying to throw negative spin around sound like incredible whiners and just make me lol... Huge opening week sales, a free digital game, momentum going into E3... Nooooo! How do I bash Nintendoooo!!!

luckybreak

luckybreak said:

@Zed101 If you hate items (which can be frustrating at times) You can play in the online tournaments that have the rules set to no items. :)

Artwark

Artwark said:

I knew this would do well. Though, I expected it to sell like 5 million but still this is great news for us. Now if E3 shows games that people want, Its gonna do really well.

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

@Zed101 The reason I dislike track editors in games like Mario Kart is it dilutes the different settings and creative track design that can only be built from the ground up. No user interfaced track editor can replicate the wonder of a Mario Kart track. ModNation and LBP Karting have very bland custom tracks as a result. Trackmania comes close, but the settings are still very stale and leave a lot to the imagination. I hope they never include a track editor.

darkricky

darkricky said:

I am very happy
go nintendo go !
and still lacks the other killer application super smash bros !!!!

FineLerv

FineLerv said:

So does this mean we are no longer firing Iwata? Hard to keep up with the Internet...

Jamberry

Jamberry said:

I bought the bundle early on a pre-order deal and plenty of new first party games to help their cause. I don't regret it in the slightest.

I had always been a bit wary of the Wii U, but It was clear that MK8 superhype was going to drive console sales and all of its first party games. Nintendo have taken very much criticism of their advertising methods lately, but they really smashed this one on the head. The 2 games with the £199 to £239 console bundle made me feel like I was a kid that had to get what I wanted, and had to get it now. I did get it now, with an impulsive mentality, but without the usual pang of buyers remorse. Hurrah!

I was worried that by buying the Wii U I would have another tablet-like electrical thing laying around. The Wii U pad is not a tablet computer at all, it is a good quality controller with a touchscreen, with all the processing performed by the console. They should make it very clear that they are not selling a cheap version of an Ipad/Galaxy pad etc. That is what confused me from the initial Nintendo advertising; it becomes obvious only after buying or researching the product extensively.

Shambo

Shambo said:

This is amazing, and I hope it will continue in this direction. Online has always worked so incredibly smooth, with the room filling up in mere seconds, and a couple seconds later, Lakitu is counting down and the air fills with the smell of burning rubber. Not that there's ever been a bad time to get a Wii U (got mine at launch with the amazing Zombi U bundle), but for everyone still hesitant: now is THE time to get one. There's quite some amazing exclusives out already, quite some on the horizon, and with rising sales, expect a lot more to come.

Rafie

Rafie said:

@Gamer83 Well I think it's safe to assume that in YOUR humblest opinion that MK8 is better than InFamous. I wouldn't say "worlds" better. InFamous is still a great game. I have a bias with MK, so I would think any game would be inferior to MK. MK definitely deserves the praise it's getting. Now all I have to do is work on my 3rd star on all of the cups. I have 2 stars in each cup on 150cc. I would be doing great the entire time I'm in a cup until someone hits me with a blue shell or blast past me with a mushroom right at the finish line. LOL It's all good.

@Action51 I certainly don't wanna throw salt in Nintendo's way for this fabulous game. I absolutely adore this game and it deserves every praise it gets. I just didn't want people to think this is doom for everyone else and all hail Nintendo for this savior. I personally think this game just may give the Wii U an edge on NPD numbers over PS4. Not that any of that matters in the least. However, Watch Dogs did exceptionally well with over 4 million sold with probably the PS4 version to sell the best. Still, I want Nintendo to climb to the top. Their games are top quality and always worth the wait. Just like this game is and how Smash U will.

BoobooMama

BoobooMama said:

Holy schnikes! o.o This is well deserved, it's the best Mario Kart I've ever played. I couldn't put it down the entire weekend.