Looks Like You Can Only Install 300 Games And Apps On Your 3DS

Posted by Karen Halloran

Still enough to keep you busy for a while

We've all experienced the irksome problem of running out of storage space on our 3DS consoles, but it would appear that even the most spacious SD card in the world won't help overcome this issue totally — the hardware seems to have a maximum ceiling of 300 applications.

Reddit user Rayquaza3010 received the error message pictured below once he tried to download his 301st app to his Nintendo 3DS.

Although the error message apparently states that the SD card is full and makes no mention of the number of apps installed on the device, Rayquaza3010 said that even after freeing up more space on the SD card, the problem remained regardless when 300 apps are installed — suggesting that there does indeed appear to be a hard limit on the number of installable apps; if you want 301 games and apps installed at once, tough.

Have any Nintendo Life readers experienced the same problem? Are you close to 300 apps yourself and wondering what will happen? Please let us know in the comments.

[via nintendoeverything.com]

Azooooz

Azooooz said:

I don't have any problem with that, since I don't download that much.

Zach777

Zach777 said:

Sitting at 271 downloaded now.... I guess I'm thankful for the huge 3DS drought this year so it won't run out as fast...

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

I don't think I'm that close but I'm over 200 for sure. As disheartening as this sounds I doubt I'll ever get quite that far.

JonathanX

JonathanX said:

"ONLY" 300 apps and games? I think it's a very good amount, if I had the money to buy 300 apps and games I could just buy another SD card. *I have only 3 games from eShop :'(

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Please Nintendo fans, let's not blow this out of proportion. 300 is a HUGE number.... my bet is less than 100 people will ever get to it.

And I say this as someone who owns over 550 games total over the course of my life.... so yeah, it's going to be pretty tough to get to 300 on 1 system.

russellohh

russellohh said:

I'm at 153 apps and games I think. At that point, I'd likely just start uninstalling the older ones.

Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King said:

@JonathanX Nope. As listed:

1. Launch Day 3DS Blue
2. Launch Day 3DS XL Red
3. Pikachu 3DS XL
4. Pokemon X and Y 3DS XL Red
5. Pokemon X and Y 3DS XL Blue

I'm a sucker for Pokemon and hardware plus knew those limited editions would go up in price (The Pika now goes for £300 I think.). Don't have a 2DS yet so probably get one of those for cheap. Then of course, there's US and Japan games to consider (Thank you for region lock Nintendo.). lol.

russellohh

russellohh said:

@XCWarrior I have every free Nintendo Club game of the month for the 3DS. 12 a year, 5 years on the system, that's at least 60 games- without spending a penny. Add in all the games I bought to get that many points, and... I imagine a decent number of people hitting the limit.

Nintendude789

Nintendude789 said:

@KarenHalloran

In case you guys didn't notice, but it said said that in the 3DS instruction manual.

In page 61, (At least in the North American Manual) look at the second paragraph:
"You can save a maximum of 300 Nintendo 3DS titles and Virtual Console titles on an SD Card."

Yes, I did read the manual when I got my 3DS. :)

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

to have 300 apps on your 3ds is ridiculous. try picking up a book sometime and reading.

Yosher

Yosher said:

I'm.. a little confused actually. Does this mean the 3DS itself will accept only 300 apps assigned to it? Or does it mean that you can simply swap out for a different SD card and/or delete another app? I doubt it's the former but, you never know, would seem rather silly. Taking Nintendude789's response into account I guess it's probably not the former.

@Angelic_Lapras_King I have 9 of 'em. :P

Nintendzoey

Nintendzoey said:

I am probably one of the few who prefers handhelds over home consoles (I am usually out of the house most of the time anyway). The 3DS is my main system but I don't think that I am even close to having 300 on there.
I would need a decent size SD card though I guess, mine is only 32GB and it is almost full now (especially with games like Donkey Kong Country Return's file size).

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

IIRC on PSVita is 100 apps. On Wii it was 200 on the SD card channel (I think you could keep downloading but would not display them).

I'm guessing like the Vita app limit it is due to memory in the OS to display the icons. Apparently the 3DS starts to get really sluggish at booting too after 100 (the Wii menu is bad after about 20 of the 48 slots filled)

Edit: It seems PSVita was updated to support 500...

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

@Angelic_Lapras_King: that ain't nothing. I'm sitting at 23 3DS (and 2DS) systems myself :). But anyway, this news kind of sucks but I'm only at 211 items and will likely run out of space before I hit the ceiling. I'll just gat a second sd card by that point to hold less important things.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

I too read this in the manual... Reading is good, kids ;)

Couldn't you just use multiple SD cards?

VIIIAxel

VIIIAxel said:

I can't imagine myself ever getting to 300 downloaded games. I personally prefer to get physical copies whenever possible, and there aren't too many download-only games that interest me at the moment.

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

Well..I'll be honest: anyone who really "needs" to have this many games installed on 1 system at all times has enough other problems that make this one look even more ridiculous :|

300 games...I think that's just a bit more than the number of games I own/owned on all of my systems so far (PS1-3, GBC, GBA, DS, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U and another 40 or so PC games...I wasn't spoiled as a kid, I swear). I honestly can't see ANYONE needing that much uhm.."slots" for games.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Reading the reddit thread deleting anything will let you download more so it is 300 loaded limit.

Apparently the Japanese eShop has about 200 demos which makes it easier to reach this figure.

@C-Olimar You sure could use multiple SD cards

Sparkyboy6

Sparkyboy6 said:

@C-Olimar That is the answer to the problem.
By the way, if you were looking for the rest of your Pikmin squad and Louie, they're right here (but one of them got turned into a Puffmin)! :P

Yosher

Yosher said:

@Angelic_Lapras_King Sure. :)

1. Aqua Blue Launch 3DS.
2. Red 3DS XL.
3. Zelda-themed 3DS.
4. Club Nintendo Mario 3DS. (Which I didn't win sadly, I bought it.)
5. Pikachu-themed 3DS XL.
6. Blue Pokémon X/Y 3DS XL.
7. Red Pokémon X/Y 3DS XL.
8/9. 2 Yoshi 3DS XL systems; one to play on, one to keep in good condition because I'm such a big Yoshi fan, and Yoshi related hardware is rare. :P
Number 10 will probably be a 2DS sytem once they drop in price; I don't think these are worth it all that much.

Also holy crap at 23 3DS systems. XD I thought I had a lot.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Starwolf_UK - "demos"

So they do exist!

Though to be fair even in the US the 3DS gets a lot more demos than Wii U (1 a month being a lot more than 1 the past 6 months, if that many.). I wonder if the Wii U gets demos in japan?

AVahne

AVahne said:

Not a bad starting limit at least.
For me:
A) I have a 2DS to go with my 3DS now.
B) The lack of a true, robust, and modern account system means I refuse to buy much digital content on Nintendo platforms anyway.

So basically I'll never hit the limit anyway.
But for those who actually DO hit the limit, it'll be nice if they up the limit.
The Vita started with a paltry 100 app limit, but was recently upgraded to 500.

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

@Angelic_Lapras_King challenge accepted :P

• standard Cosmo black
  • standard flame red
  • standard midnight purple
  • standard fire emblem limited edition (sealed)
  • standard cobalt blue with luigis mansion (sealed)
  • standard zelda limited edition (sealed)
  • blue/black XL
  • red/black XL
  • yoshi edition XL (sealed)
  • Mickey Mouse limited edition XL (sealed)
  • animal crossing limited edition XL (sealed)
  • year of luigi limited edition XL (Japanese) (sealed)
  • mario and luigi silver limited edition XL (sealed)
  • pikachu limited edition XL (sealed)
  • pokemon x/y red limited edition XL (sealed)
  • pokemon x/y blue limited edition XL (sealed)
  • zelda limited edition XL (sealed)
  • zelda limited editing XL
  • charizard limited edition XL (Japanese) (sealed)
  • red 2DS (sealed)
  • blue 2DS
  • sea green 2DS (sealed)
  • pink/white 2DS (sealed)
thesilverbrick

thesilverbrick said:

Yet another reason for me to stay away from digital games. I buy all games retail whenever possible and I still have 122 games and apps. I'd be well over 200 if I bought my retail games as digital instead.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

@russellohh You have 300 games you didn't pay for... from Club Nintendo? So you did you magically obtain coins, or did you BUY games in order to do surveys to accumulate coins? And you are the exception, most people do not buy every Club Nintendo game of the month every month. I won't say you are the only one... but you are one of 10 or 11 people.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

@bboy2970 WHY do you own so many 3DSs? There are stick covers you could buy for a 3DS instead of just buying all of those. Imagine all of the games you could have bought instead, lol. But I guess if you have money to burn (or credit cads to increase your debt)... I guess go for it.

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

@KnightRider666 are you positive those are all installed on the sd card and not the system itself? For example, I don't think DSiWare counts toward is limit or things like face raider or ar games.

russellohh

russellohh said:

@XCWarrior I said I have 60 games from Club Nintendo, not 300. That's about 6,000 coins. I've registered about 12 systems and several hundred games over the decade or so that Clun Nintendo has been a thing. Every 10 Club Nintendo games you download and take the post-play survey for is another free game, so it works out.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

@KnightRider666 How many are DSiWare? There is a limit of 40 of those in the system memory (rest can stored by not played from SD crd), I wonder if they don't count towards the 300. Also do built-in things like Face Raiders count? (I remember this being a big problem with the Vita 100 limit)

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

@XCWarrior well a lot of them aren't for playing and more for collecting. Buying more games is a fair point but I've already got every game I want so I'm good there.

Hero-of-WiiU

Hero-of-WiiU said:

I really only do download games (like Shovel Knight and Pushmo World) on my Wii U as I have no interest in indies on 3ds. Surprisingly the Wii U has a better selection of indies than 3ds.

2Sang

2Sang said:

I have over 200, so I will not be downloading anything that is a must-have from now on.

2Sang

2Sang said:

On another note, this is yet another way nintendo shoots themselves in the foot. Why would they even bother setting a limit? What's the purpose of doing this?

tj3dsXL

tj3dsXL said:

WAIT. sometimes you just need to WAIT before you start downloading again esp. after a system stransfer,update and or other things. ADD and Perfectionism are both serious mental problems 4 real ya'll.

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

@KightRider666 what about other preinstalled things such as activity log, streetpass mii plaza, mii maker, ds download play, mii maker, and 3DS sound? I don't think those count. And if you already aren't counting those then this is perplexing :O

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

@2Sang Memory allocations for icons. They all load at once so that is the space limit here. Possibly for the data management screen in system settings as much as the system menu (I'll get to that).

@KnightRider666 Considering page 20 of the system settings manual where the 300 limit is mentioned talk abouts the data management screen there are 2 things that don't appear on that screen but would appear on the system menu:
-DSiWare
-Bulit-in stuff (eShop, System settings, face raiders, mii plaza, 3ds sound, ar cards etc; these are can't be deleted and are internal)

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

@russellohh Makes more sense, but still most people don't have that kid of money. I've been platinum all but 1 year... but man some of their club nintendo offerings are very passable... and they repeat as well. But to each their own. But again, if there were tons of people like you, Nintendo would be back swimming in their gold coins again like they were in the Wii/DS days.

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

Okay, subtract those too. But I have a few dsiware games saved to my sd card b/c the internal memory wouldn't allow them to fit on my menu.

russellohh

russellohh said:

@XCWarrior I also memorize unused codes from Gamestop. If no one has registered Fire Emblem for Wii in the last 6 years, YOINK. I only do used games, and games older than a year. There are a few months where I didn't find anything I wanted, but there were enough months where I wanted more than one thing, so it evens out.

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

I'm still not buying the fact that you can only have 300 apps though. If nintendo truly did this, then they are dumber than I imagined...

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

@KnightRider666 System settings manual page 20. It is written right there. Why would Nintendo lie in their own manual. From a memory management perspective in programming it is a very important thing to do (it you could have more icons than memory to load them in you can into nasty segmentation faults and other bugs).

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

That's generally why you don't load everything at once and things like virtual memory were created. It's not really hard to do a little default icon and load/unload them as they scroll near the screen. On the one hand 300 is harder to reach but they've also been pushing the eshop more heavily. When you factor in things like VC and the smaller download only titles it becomes more feasible.

A pretty big rule in programing is to future proof programs and not set hard coded limits on things because you never know what will be standard in the future. I'm sure the next system will have higher limits but as you start transferring things forward it becomes a lot easier to hit limits too. It's not the end of the world but it's kind of odd and rather unnecessary.

duffmmann

duffmmann said:

I'm sure this is the type of thing that could be resolved with an update to remove the 300 game/app limit. Having said that, I probably have somewhere from 75 to 100 games and apps and thats after acquiring them over the past 3 years, including all 20 of the ambassador games. It will take a long time to even reach that limit, and even if I do, I can just swap out the sd card with another sd card, I already have no problem switching out single game carts just to play a single game in the 3DS, why would having to switch sd cards that can hold up to 300 official games and apps be considered a negative thing?

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

300 is a ridiculous number anyway to have on one system I'm not even sure if I have that many games period (probably do but not by much). Currently I have 104 but a lot are demos (45), special movies/trailers (13) and out of service apps (3), so over half I wouldn't count as me owning can't imagine getting to 300.

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

Angelic_Lapras_King lol it's not like that. I like to keep streetpass how it was intended to be (with others) so I don't ever streetpass my own systems.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

It's been 3 years since the launch of the 3DS eShop, I'm amazed the limit has only been discovered now. He'll just have to delete games he's finished now.

ACK

ACK said:

The manual has stated as such since launch. This article should make it clear that it is 300 apps per SD card. Switch out SD cards if you get over 250-ish and you'll be fine. I also believe DSiWare apps are tabulated separately.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

@WiiLovePeace He said he deleted some of the nearly 200 demos. Also the limit was in the system settings manual since and might have even been written in there before the eShop launched but nobody reads manuals :P

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Does that include demos and videos too? I'm nowhere near it, and even if I was, knowing me, once I beat a game, I toss the game out of memory (and keep the save data "if" I feel like it). Interesting.

ClockworkMario

ClockworkMario said:

@bboy2970
Geez, with that many 3DS's you could be literally sitting on them.

I'm not getting anywhere near 300 anytime soon, but a new SD card –> problem solved.

NavySpheal

NavySpheal said:

Is this just a 3DS show off comment section? XD
Oh, and I guess this is another plus for buying physical.

smirg

smirg said:

The programmer side of me says:
Why have, what seems to be, an arbitrary limit of only 300 or a limit at all? Hard-coded limits tend to suck because no matter how big you make them, you tend to always reach them a lot sooner then you expected.

The gamer side of me says:
Holy crap! Some people are actually reaching this limit, on a single gaming system no less? Are they literally buying every single game that's released? How many do they play let alone finish? I don't think I've purchased 300 games over the course of my entire life for all the consoles I've owned combined and that's counting all the crap I used to buy during Steam sales (most of which I've hardly ever played). I certainly understand collectors buying physical copies just for collecting purposes but these are digital purchases.

I'm amazed at how many 3DSs some people here have!

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

I think the 3DS will likely be dead and I pray Nintendo has finally adapted an account based digital purchases system to carry the games over to the next system before I download 300 digital games but I still think the limit is pointless.

Drac_Mazoku

Drac_Mazoku said:

wouhou. 260 games on my 3DS right now (with a 128GB Sd card). Almost there! Can't wait to see when I will have to start purging my system.

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

I know there is a max limit of 240 downloads per Wii SD Card which wasn't quite enough for my 140 WiiWare games, 100 VC games, 30+ WiiWare Demos, and 15+ Wii Channels.

Nintendo should have warned me to not buy so many games. I hate switching SD Cards up to the point that I really consider paying extra to get the NES and SNES games away from the SD Card (they don't fit onto anyway) and onto the Wii U.

Does anyone know about Wii U download limits? If it is limited by number of downloads again, rather than free space on my 3 TerraByte Wii U hard drive, then I might change my buying conditions and only buy games I'm 1000% sure I want and not taking chances.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

I don't think I will ever reach that limit. My 3DSes to date have been, the flame red 3DS, blue 3DS, Purple 3DS, Blue 3DS XL, Blue 3DS XL with Mario Kart 7, Pink/White XL and Pokemon X& Y Red XL. The only ones I got rid of are the flame red & blue 3DSes. The purple 3DS, two Blue XLs and the pink XL are all broken but I still have them. Don't know why though. Although the Mario Kart 7 XL still has my Ambassador games on it so that's why I kept it. Also my son has a 2DS and my daughter has a red XL.

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

@Unca_Lz: Ignorant or not, this is a stupid idea. I may be among the small percentage of people who will have that much stuff, but why limit your download sales to customers? It's a wonder nintendo isn't number one. It's stupid limitations like this that hold them back as a company.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

@KnightRider666 Except you missed my point. You don't know why they did this. You just assumed it was a decision that was made out of the blue. As others have mentioned, this may be a programming reason.

And hold back their sales? As you mentioned, you are in the minority, and this decision will not hurt them that much as a result.

Zemus-DJ

Zemus-DJ said:

I've hit this barrier a year ago, even mentioned it a few times, using a 128GB SDXC card & still have over 400,000 blocks. Dsiware don't count cauae I have what I can in a folder & another 100 locked on the SD. So now I have to delete trash in favor of the good. Sure I could switch out SD cards and re-download and swap if needed but I care not, I'm just more picky in what I download now sadly.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@Unca_Lz well it is almost certainly a programing decision but it's also generally bad practice to do that. Since there's only a few icons on screen at one time there's absolutely no reason to load them all at once. There's also folders and those absolutely shouldn't be loaded until accessed. Since the number is 300 and not 255 it's not an addressing issue, and the system has to have a virtual memory system. Ultimately it just makes it a strange and rather bad thing to do.

Nintendo6400

Nintendo6400 said:

300 hundred games huh? Well I'm only close to like 50 games and I have had my 3ds since launch.

Drac_Mazoku

Drac_Mazoku said:

After reading so many post about how it is in the manual, I feel really stupid now. I guess this is a non-news then. But I still feel kinda excited to reach this limit soon. Maybe it will help me limiting my purchase a little and start selecting which game I want to keep and which game I don't want. 300 games on one device without changing any cart is kinda awesome anyway :)

Rayquaza3010

Rayquaza3010 said:

I'm the one who posted this on Reddit. And I stated that this only refers to the 3DS software you downloaded with the eShop, not the pre-installed software, patches or DSiWare.
It's actually pretty easy to have more than 300 apps on a Japanese 3DS if you download every demo. There are around ~200 availabe and if you link your account with Club Nintendo you receive points for every demo you downloaded. Then some 3D videos, eShop games and retail games and you have more than 300 apps on your SD card. I have deleted some of the demos and now I can download again. Still I'm a little bit sad that my perfect collection is gone.

outburst

outburst said:

Now if you all 3DS suckers who have more than 5 units will also buy at least 5 WiiUs, Nintendo's WiiU sales will be up past 30 million and 3rd parties will be tempted to bring their games to the console. :p :D (I kid)

Dizzard

Dizzard said:

I'm not too worried, I'm probably only sitting at around 20 3DS downloads right now since I get most games physical.

Do demos count? Because if so I'm going to stop downloading demos for sure.

CaviarMeths

CaviarMeths said:

Considering I don't give 2 hoots about apps and wish I could get rid of the ones that come pre-installed on the thing, I don't think this will be a problem for me at all. I'll never have 290-odd games on my 3DS.

Still better than the Vita's 100 app limit though.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

NTELLIGENTMAN

NTELLIGENTMAN said:

@XCWarrior I too own over 550 games after selling around 550 so I doubt I'll ever have that many. I would rather own physical copies of all my games so I can sell them in the future.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

Why would someone want 300 app's on there game system in the first place??

I have an 8 gig sd card. When I'm done playing a game instead of having the app sit on my 3ds I just hit create save & delete the app. That way I can alway's re-download the game later from the 3ds e-shop & not have to worry about loosing any save data in my game at the same time. Problem solved. ;)

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

Drac_Mazoku

Drac_Mazoku said:

@Barbiegurl777 Just so you know, there's an even smaller limit on the number of save you can back-up. You'll quickly reach it (as I did in the past), and will be forced to delete your whole progress in games if you want to delete more games from your SD card. So no, it's not an option.

Spaceboy40

Spaceboy40 said:

So this has happened to me a month ago. I contacted Nintendo and once I was able to articulate the issue they said no fix was coming. It's sad because obviously I am a power downloader who is ready and willing and able to spent more and have been stopped dead in my tracks. This seems to be an artificial limitation based on an expectancy no one could possibly love there 3ds that much. I hope now that this article has some FaceTime maybe Nintendo will look into the issue even of it effects a minority of users.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@KnightRider666 speaking of Sony did you know the vita has a limit too? Don't remember exactly what it was but I don't think it's as much as this
They have good reasons for doing this not just for the hell of it

Spaceboy40

Spaceboy40 said:

Kevlar44

Kevlar44 said:

Wow. First off 300 games is ridiculous, delete some of the useless crap like Demos and Videos and you should be fine, and if you still have the problem i think it's insane that you buy that many games. I'm guessing it's laziness, too lazy to research what will appeal to you, i'm thinking this largely due to the whining on here about swapping SD cards. If you are too lazy to swap an SD card i doubt you're motivated enough to do even a little research. Complaining about having to swap SD cards at that point is the whitest whine if i've ever seen, it's just a ridiculous thing to be upset about. It's truly sad and shocking that people feel so entitled to convenience that they'll complain about having to swap essentially a 300 title game cartridge (or whatever the Wii's limit was), when they own a fricken system that requires you to swap cartridges in order to play many of it's games. Insane.

Drac_Mazoku

Drac_Mazoku said:

@Spaceboy40 Quite frankly, I'm pretty sure it's not something that can be fix easily. I have no proof of that, but I'm sure like many others in the comments that it is more a technical issue with the 3DS than it is a random number they selected because they tought no one would get there. I'm sure you notice how slow the 3DS has become with so many apps when going between games using the home menu. A good few seconds delay before you can finally select the other game and start playing. I guess that if they were allowing 500-600 games on the 3DS, it would just cause tons of problem for the system itself. After all, the 3DS is FAR from being a power beast.

I'll learn to live with the 300 limits. After all, if I managed to reach that limit, and REALLY want more, SD card swapping is always a solution. 2 physical SD card is already way better than a shelf filled with 300+ games.

Rayquaza3010

Rayquaza3010 said:

@Kevlar44 It's not that easy actually. When you remove your SD card and switch it with another, the structure of the 3DS menu and the icons will be changing even after using the old SD card. It seems that the layout is saved on the local memory of the system. I'm not completely sure about this but some games like Pokémon X/Y have a save lock that should prevend from copying the save file for cloning your Pokémon. So maybe after swapping the SD card some of the save files won't work anymore.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

This got me thinking how much stuff I have downloaded on my 3dsxl. Short answer, not even close. Long answer...

32 3ds games (10 are retail games)
15 VC games (13 from ambassador program)
38 demos
6 DSI
17 videos
11 non game apps (Netflix, Pokedex 3d pro, etc)
119 total

I just wonder how much of that is paid games and not other free stuff.

Edit: Cool to know @Rayquaza3010. I have no clue how I missed your post, especially when it's directly before mines :P

technotaylor98

technotaylor98 said:

DIS IZ WHY NINTEND IS THE WERST COMPANIE EVAR ,BEECUZ WE CANT GIT THEE GAEMS WE WaNT. sONEY IZ BEttAR!
LOL :P

Spaceboy40

Spaceboy40 said:

@Drac_Mazoku I agree, I mean it's really not a huge issue. Given the accessibility of free wifi, and cheap sd cards, it's relatively easy to just re-download . I have noticed the slow down aswell. All that said for simplicity sake I wish it wasn't so. It's on my wish list, but by no means am I scorned or would ever consider a hate campaign. Nintendo has bigger fish to fry than this low impacting issue despite it personally hitting me.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@Drac_Mazoku if the issue is what I think it is it probably means they arn't storing and loading data properly in the OS and it could be fixed with a patch. It basically sounds like the data access time grows too large after a point so they just capped the data in memory. That's a crude solution to the problem but one generally frowned up in computer science. What it should be doing is loading only what's visible on screen, plus a few extra in each direction. Then as the screen scrolls you unload data off screen and load new data in the direction it's scrolling.

Guovssohas

Guovssohas said:

Lol, i have never ever been close to havin' 300 games on any console, nor have any of my friends. Actually i have never had even 30 games for any console. So this shouldn't be a problem to me :)

tux_peng

tux_peng said:

My 3DS came with a 4GB SD card, I just upgraded to a 32GB Class 10 card; I can't imaging having 300 downloaded games

Frapp

Frapp said:

The System Settings electronic manual on the PAL 3DS clearly states on section 20 (1: Nintendo 3DS Data Management):
"Note: You can save up to 300 Nintendo 3DS software titles. Add-on content and extra data may exceed 300 titles, but the data management screen can only display up to 300 titles."

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

@Nintendude789 Don't miss the irony that most people that will post after you will also miss your post (along with what you pointed out). Can't let facts get in the way.

WinterWarm

WinterWarm said:

Not really a concern, especially since you can save your data now thanks to the system update.

I mean, think about it, are you really going to be playing, like, 275 games at once? Are there even that many good games on the eShop?!

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Some of you people are real system hoarders. What on earth are you going to do with 7+ 3DS's? Those could have gone to other people. As for the article, it's funny that this should come up now as just yesterday I upgraded to a 32GB SD card from my previous 16 GB one. I don't think I would ever hit 300 individual downloads though.

Koopa_Bro

Koopa_Bro said:

can someone explain why they would even reach the app cap? Do people even play all those games? or is it for digital collection?
i am curious and a supporter of the gaming industries i just dont think i should shell out everything i have to get every title

WindWakerLink

WindWakerLink said:

@Nintendude789 "It does say that! Just like there is a 3,000 picture cap you can take on your SD Card regardless if you have more space."

It's funny how we all are responding to this...like it's so surprising...when it is in the 3DS/3DSXL manual. XD XD

TheBigK

TheBigK said:

I have 75 on my 3DS... and here I thought that was a lot! Apparently not. I don't think I'll ever have to worry about hitting that 300 limit.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

@KnightRider666 Yes, they should spend an amount of time to reprogram something for a handful of people, when they had a reason for its inclusion in the first place

ogo79

ogo79 said:

these days gamers dont really finish all their games anyways. gamers that actually play/beat all thier games, we are becoming a rare species. the poser gamers are the new gamers.

Link506

Link506 said:

I've got good amount of apps, but most are demos that I would gladly delete if necessary. The only reason I have them is... well, what is there to say? They're demos. Parts of a game for free. Why delete them if it isn't needed?

Robo-Knight

Robo-Knight said:

I experienced this problem last year right around the time when Pokemon X & Y came out, I have even presented this problem of mine on the Boards & it was at 331 Games & Apps total including my Cartridge, I should have an Article or some kind of mention about me & this since I encountered this problem first, not him, me! I have over roughly 450 Games on my 3DS XL total including ones that I've had too delete, I wanted to send this response to you in private @galachef55, but as far as I know, there's no way too contact any of Nintendo Lifes Staff. I don't mean too come off as rude, but I actually feel saddened now that I wasn't blogged about this first.Nintendo has even told me that they won't fix the problem because it hasn't affected enough people, at least maybe now this can be fixed. Also, again, it's 331 'Boxes' on your Home Menu total, someone else told me that it's most likely a Firmware Problem. Ever since this has first happened too me, I wanted to be blogged about it first, but congrats too @Rayquaza3010 for getting mentioned first 10 months after I encountered the problem. Once again, I'm sorry for coming off as rude, I actually visit Nintendo Life daily myself & I'm a big fan of this Website. I hope that maybe I can get some sort of mention as well. Also, I have roughly 40,000 Blocks left on my 3DS XL's 32 Gig SD Card & none of them are Demo's, none.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Good for him for finding the limit, now Nintendo can release a new firmware update for a limit of 600 apps/games then.

UnknownNico

UnknownNico said:

This is it.

We're all gonna die.

Seriously,though, who'd have the money to download 300 games on their 3DS?

kereke12

kereke12 said:

Apps, what apps there's no apps on 3DS. I don't have a problem with that cause I don't download that much.

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

Really? I'm at more than 400 downloads in the e-shop. I think I may be close to 500 But considering that about half (or more) of those are DSiWares that are stored on the SD card and not on the homescreen, they must be exempt from the limit. I think you can only have 300 icons on your homescreen. I definitely have over 300 in all on my 64 GB SD card.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

I think Vita had a 100 game/app limit up until a few months ago when an update increased it to 500. So this sounds about right.

8BitSamurai

8BitSamurai said:

I don't know how anybody could defend madness like this. Think of how much money the "rare downloads" program will be losing because of this limit.

Now @ogo79 has to settle for just 3 private islands. I'll have to reach out to the RDP legal team to get this injustice rectified!

Noboty

Noboty said:

That's stupid, putting a cap on how many things someone can install on their console. What do they gain from that?

Windy

Windy said:

Looks like I'm going to have to count my apps and games. I actually have bought way too many I may never get too. If I ever get to this point. I will probably stop buying games until Nintendo allows us to put them on our extra systems.

joey302

joey302 said:

I fear the wii u will have the same issue...I only have 13 windows left! Otherwise I would download a lot more games! Guess I'll have to be more selective. For the record though 360,one,PS3 & 4 don't have this problem....just saying Nintendo

Iggly

Iggly said:

Well derp, I think it's crazy to think someone would have 300 games on their 3DS in the first place. Like honestly, half of the eshop is just shovelware.

Mus1cLov3r

Mus1cLov3r said:

@Tsurii897 Different, maybe, but when I bring my 3DS somewhere(which is every time I leave the house), I feel like I NEED to bring ALL of my games along with it. :o

PS4

PS4 said:

@KnightRider666 PSV used to be 100 now 500. lol and yes it was mentioned in the instruction booklets, I knew about this day 1 I got my 3DS, NL once again slow. (they were slow on the Wii remote too!)
@ReigningSemtex its a cap on how many you can have on your home menu at once, excluding system softwarez, and DSiWare
@joey302 wii u works like 3ds and makes more, but no folders yet.

8BitSamurai

8BitSamurai said:

@Tobias95

What I mean is, say a game like EarthBound. Why should it be $10 on the eShop if it's $140 for a cartridge? In fact, we "rare downloads" people propose that since Iwata has to go through all this work to bring the games directry to you, the prices should be raised above and beyond the cartridge value. I think a fair price would be $500 for EarthBound, but @ogo79 is more fond of the $1000 range.

Tobias95

Tobias95 said:

@8BitSamurai Well, it might be fair since its not released in Europe, but a new from Nintendo usualy costs 100$ in Norway. With a few exceptions. But 500$ is ceartnly not for everyone, myself included. But, by all means, Nintendo could do this with future releases.

mullen

mullen said:

272 apps currently on my JP 3DS. I hope Nintendo can announce a new 3DS model soon so I can buy another one before the number reaches 300.
(Btw, 198 of them are demos... However, I assume since NOJ release more and more demos every week and they provide 5 club coins for each demo, there should be more and more Japanese 3DS players face such issue recently. Maybe NOJ will notice that and try to fix it through a firmware update, and NOA and NOE will benefit from that as well).

galachef55Staff

galachef55 said:

@Nintendude789
Indeed, on the Eurozone English manual's page 47, under the "Precautions for Download Software" heading:
"Up to 40 Nintendo DSiWare titles can be stored in the System Memory and up to 300 download software titles can be stored on an SD Card."

grayadamson

grayadamson said:

Wonder if it's related to the amount of spaces on the Home screen. Would it help to put everything in folders, you reckon?

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

Assuming there's an app limit, it's a number I'm never going to reach anyway, so it doesn't really concern me.

ZenTurtle

ZenTurtle said:

@bboy2970
Why would you keep them sealed?
They're for playing on and you'll never make back as much money as you probably spent on them, even if one or two go up in value in 10 years.

Still, it's your money...

SnappyJon

SnappyJon said:

Only 300, damn it!

Now I only have space left for another 295 downloadable games.

Damn you Nintendo. Damn you to hell!!!

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

Who the hell has 300 apps on their 3DS? Do they do nothing in life but play that machine, or are they just addicted to digital purchases?

Drawdler

Drawdler said:

The picture cap is annoying. I have extra space on my 16GB SD card and im not even close to the 300-app cap, but I'm not allowed to save more pictures from Colors!, Animal Crossing, Pokémon etc. The games tell me there's no more space for pictures. I'm just gonna copy all of them to my PC and delete them from the card.

gregrout

gregrout said:

Ouch, I bought a 128GB flash card, it's good to know there's a limit. This will definitely alter my habit of "buying indie games on a whim". No more impulse buying for me. The 128GB card wasn't cheap, I'd rather fill that card up with AAA titles and stellar indie games. Anyone know if there's a cap on the Wii-U?

thelastgogeta

thelastgogeta said:

I have a Japanese 3DS and also find it very tempting to get all of the free software and demos at once on top of the digital sales, my 32GB SD card isn't enough with the behemoths Bravely Default, Inazuma Eleven 1-2-3 and Senran Kagura Burst to get to 300 but I definitely have well over 100 software spots taken up.

I imagined there was a cap and don't really think 300 spaces is a problem, but I hope the cap gets removed or rather increased to the point where it is near impossible to be full all the same.

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

@gregrout
@sleepinglion

Wii U Menu > Electronic Manual (Home Button) > Page 4, §5:
"Only 300 icons can be displayed on the Wii U Menu".

A limit of 300 games on Wii U! I for sure have to set new priorities now. I wanted to upgrade all my Wii VC games, but now FORGET IT!

So I guess that means rethinking on what to buy, and definately not getting The Letter!

Linkypoo

Linkypoo said:

@bezerker99 Because gaming means it's impossible to read.
Games like Zelda are basically books anyway. -.-'
And yeah, I read at least 30 minutes a day.