Feature: Our Hopes and Dreams for E3 2014

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Let's be optimists

With E3 mania well and truly underway, it's time to get some predictions out of our systems. We'll be pulling together a 'realistic' set of expectations before the main event, but in this article three members of our team based in HQ share what they want to see from Nintendo this year. Some of these hopes are realistic, others probably not.

Damien McFerran

Like so many Nintendo fans over the age of 30, the list of franchise revivals I have floating around my head is so terrifying, it often keeps me awake at night. My wish list is bursting with games I'd love to see in HD; Star Fox, F-Zero and Metroid springing instantly to mind. I also think it's high time that Kid Icarus made a return to home hardware, following its incredibly successful 3DS outing.

However, I'd also like to see some exciting new IP revealed at E3 - we all know that Retro Studios is working on something, and Next Level Games has talent to spare. Let loose on an original concept, who knows what these two western studios could come up?

My biggest wish for E3 is that Nintendo finally releases the game which "sells" the Wii U GamePad to the masses. The success of the Wii hinged largely on its revolutionary control interface, and one of the biggest problems Nintendo has had of late is educating gamers of the benefit of second-screen gaming. It's not too late to turn the Wii U around, and I think any potential resurgence will be tied to a single game which has the same mainstream draw that Wii Sports did.

Tom Whitehead

If we're going to allow wacky predictions, then I'm perhaps at a loss. No, I don't want a new Ice Climbers game!

In all seriousness, one of my hopes is for a Super Mario Galaxy HD collection, including both the Wii titles in one reasonably priced retail package; it could be ideal filler for a quiet release month. I hope that a new title from Next Level Games or Retro Studios is shown, too, especially as the former has been all-quiet since Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, I'd love it if that group was working on Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. Strike Team Eliminating the Alien Menace — I want one of those studios to work on it so that it's a western-driven project. Nintendo's internal teams do amazing work, but I'm hopeful of a first- or third-person shooter that gives Nintendo gamers a taste of the genre, but with unique twists so typical of the company. This is one I hope to see not because it's a genre that's a favourite of mine, but because the system's library would benefit from its presence.

As for crazy fantasy? I'd love a relatively short, on-rails Star Fox living up to the tradition of the SNES and N64 titles. If it's a short, arcadey experience it may be eShop-only, and I'll live with that. My other big hope is that the Nintendo Figurine Platform will come with 3-4 budget retail games, by which I mean intriguing experiences at $25 a pop, for example. If the toys are cool and multiple experiences are available, it could be a big deal in the Holiday season.

Oh, and Metroid Prime 4.

Martin Watts

I'm being anything but original, but like many I'm still desperate to see a new F-Zero or Star Fox game on either Wii U or 3DS. Nintendo's recent technical achievements such as Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 are evidence enough that the company could provide these legacy franchises with the visuals and sheen that the Wii couldn't really deliver over the GameCube versions. Plus - and there's absolutely no chance of this happening - the idea of 30-player races in an online version of F-Zero blows my mind.

On the somewhat more realistic side, I'm keen to see more in the way of digital content. In particular, I'd love to see further information on the next Steel Diver: Sub Wars update (if there even is one), or even a Wii U version of the game with expanded features and the capability for more players online. Otherwise, I'd like to see smaller games with fun concepts, just to fill in the gaps between the major titles.

I'd also like to say that The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D should be something that's more on the likely list, yet year after year I - and many others - are left disappointed. Come on, Nintendo, this is the year to deliver!

Those are some of our wishes. Share yours in the comments below.

WinterWarm

WinterWarm said:

I really agree with the part about Nintendo needing more unique shooters.

Also yes, The WiiU GamePad should be brought into the limelight.

WinterWarm

WinterWarm said:

I really agree with the part about Nintendo needing more unique shooters.

Also yes, The WiiU GamePad should be brought into the limelight.

JubilifeRival

JubilifeRival said:

These are my wishes:
Majora's Mask 3D
Fire Emblem (another 3DS game)
Bravely Second info
Omega and Alpha news
Pokken Fighters
Something to boost the Wii U's popularity!

Maybe my hopes are a bit (WAY) too high, but who knows? Maybe this will be Nintendo's year!
Oh yeah...
EARTHBOUND WII U!

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

Every time we all start off calm and hype each other into stupidity. I merely want surprises in the form of Wii U games that aren't platformers.

IxC

IxC said:

In my completely unrealistic dreamworld where dreams are destroyed and hopes are crushed, I would like:

New F-Zero.
New Wave Race.
New 1080.
Metroid Prime 4.
Prey 2. (Resurrected by Nintendo)
Acid Ghost. (I want this game to be real more than I've ever wanted anything in the world ever)
Psi-Ops 2.
Eternal Darkness 2.
Red Steel 3.
Madworld 2.
2D Metroid (For both 3DS and Wii U with crossplay. Play game on Wii U in glorious HD, transfer save file to 3DS for continuing on the go.)
Sonic The Hedgehog 5 (Get it right this time!)
Streets Of Rage 4.
Transparent 3DS XL hardware.
Bomberman for Smash Bros.

2Sang

2Sang said:

Please stop the hype train, I want to get off before I get to pleaseundastandville

My hype for smash bros is so high right now I know I'm gonna be let down.

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

I Want to see:

A.) Sports Games not starring Mario and that are not more than glorified mini-games. Since EA Sports and 2K Sports walked away, Nintendo needs to solve the problem. While I enjoy playing them, not so much for me than it fills a gaping hole in the software library.

B) Metroid, Star Fox, F-Zero, Animal Crossing. The Superstars already had their limelight (well except for Zelda which got a remake), now it is time to bring in the role players to fill out the library.

C) Lesser known properties given experimental eShop games or retail releases. Again fill out the genres holes that the lack of third parties are leaving.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I have plenty of hopes and wishes for Nintendo at E3 2013, but here's just a taste of what I would like to see:
1. WarioWare 3DS
2. Metroid 3DS
3. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
4. Mario Party 10 (that supports NFC)
5. More Wii U games that use the GamePad well.

I also would be pumped for a new Star Fox, but as you can probably tell, my Wii U wishes are really tame. But maybe that means I'll be surprised!

Besides, the biggest of my wishes involve Super Smash Bros.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

@IxC no love for Project Hammer, Disaster 2 or a Geist reboot?

Other than that, your list is pretty much the stuff of my wildest e3 dreams.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

If I could make a wish it would be Red Steel 3 or a new Eternal Darkness. But its not going to happen

Rafie

Rafie said:

I would like to see a new Kid Icarus game for the Wii U! Also more SNES VC and a 64 VC announcement. :)

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

@WinterWarm Dat quadruple post tho. ;)
I'd like to see, again, Baten Kaitos on 3DS... and I can safely say that I've yet to find someone who agrees it'll happen...
You'll all see tomorrow! >:3

IxC

IxC said:

@Nintenjoe64

I forgot about Disaster 2. I did mean to mention that one!

With the power of the Wii U, Disaster could finally be the game it was meant to be on the Wii.

Project HAMMER, I'd like, but it's not a priority.

Legromancer

Legromancer said:

i think we will see at least 3 platformers, announced or new ones. Games fans are hoping for? Maybe Zelda. Myamotos new project is some sort of simulation/strategy game, i think.
The Digital Évent will be like 39 minutes, far from being 1 hour long.
Yes, i am pessimistic.

outburst

outburst said:

I'd like these on Wii U:

-Megaman Prime ala Metroid Prime Wii gameplay (wiimote + nunchuk)

-SMSunshine HD

-Luigi's Mansion HD

-Pretty much every great GC games made by Nintendo in HD

-More Select Wii games since it's hard to find some great Wii games now at reasonable prices. (FE Radiant Dawn, Pikmin 1 & 2, etc)

-N64 VC

-DS VC

-Metroid U

-Zelda U

Mario-Fan

Mario-Fan said:

Im hoping for a Super Mario Galaxy 3, a Wii U Luigi's Mansion, HD games from gamecube on Wii U like Super Mario Sunshine, the origional Luigi's Mansion, Mario Kart Dubble Dash, and Mario Golf World Tour. And maybe some Mario Kart 8 DLC's that ive been hearing about recently, a bunch of Super Smash Bros Wii U/3DS news, im also hoping for maybe one Mario Sports related game for Wii U, and also a lot of info on the TV show and videogame of Sonic Boom.

SleepyCrossing

SleepyCrossing said:

My Wishlist:
-Metroid Prime U
-Majora's Mask 3D
-Animal Crossing U
-S.T.E.A.M. as a shooter on Wii U
-NFC bundles with retail WIi U games
-MK8 DLC

drools
EDIT: oh and ... surprise 3DS game as well as Pokemon ORAS info. And Pokken Fighters maybe?

Dave24

Dave24 said:

Bayonetta 2 with a suprerior port of the original... in august/september. That would've been awesome.

WanderingPB

WanderingPB said:

More games, make more use of the gamepad, more titles to the VC, Gamecube VC, and cross game voice chat.

As for games well im greedy i want them all for the Wii U Starfox, Fzero, mario galaxy, luigis mansion, a new IPs but what i truly want is a new Metroid game for the Wii U that like nintendo land has co-op features as Samus and the gunship for local and online play but still keeping true to the series which is immersive and incredible to explore!

Zeldamaster97

Zeldamaster97 said:

My wishlist:
Majora's mask 3d or HD
New metroid prime
MK8 DLC
Animal crossing Wii U
N64, GameCube, and DreamCast games on Wii u vc

Kroisos

Kroisos said:

@IxC You forgot Beyond Good and Evil 2 And No More Heroes 3, which would of course have a ridiculous subtitle.

dabaumer

dabaumer said:

I don't want to be totally unrealistic...
Zelda U with a small teaser like twilight princess got...fall 2015...bayonetta fall release, X prob early 2015 unless your japan and it's 2014...I think sunshine gets a reboot...then several games like the Mario maker and then one big one that uses the pad well....that's reasonable
I want a metriod or star fox...or Geist

IxC

IxC said:

@SparkOfSpirit

They have around 100 employees. Miyamoto or Iwata said Retro are big enough to be working on 2 games at once.

Plus, not all employees are needed at all stages of development. Tropical Freeze may have only come out 4 months ago. But they wouldn't have needed all the concept artists or writers to be involved at that stage. They'll probably have been working on the next project for over a year now. The full team of programmers and 3D modellers may have only just started working on it at the beginning of this year. But they may have had a few staff from each department working on the new project months before Tropical Freeze was finished.

Any work done on Tropical Freeze in 2014 was probably nothing more than testing and bug fixing. For which, you'd have a few programmers to fix the bugs. Maybe an artist or two if there are any graphical glitches. Most of the staff would have finished their work and been free for months.

It's not unrealistic to expect them to have something to show.

Samwise7

Samwise7 said:

My wishlist is thus:
Epic new massive Fire Emblem for the Wii U
New Metroid adventure for the Wii U
2D Metroid for the 3DS (like A Link Between Worlds did for Zelda)
Super Mario Galaxy 3 for Wii U
New Mega Man for 3DS
2D Kid Icarus new adventure for 3DS or massive sprawling one for the Wii U
New Golden Axe for the Wii U from Sega
New Shining Force for the 3DS from Sega
New Actraiser...OK now I'm just being unrealistic but that would be awesome in Wii U!

darkswabber

darkswabber said:

I want to see a Nintendo exclusive shooter, and RPG (not pokemon or Zelda, more like a RPG were the story depends on the choices you make like fallout and tes) and a few Nintendo exclusive titles of third party franchises, and I mean titles that will stay exclusive for atleast 5 years!!!
and I hope for third party support from from EA, Bethesda and 2K.

Discipledoctor

Discipledoctor said:

Alright, I'm making my final list.

Wii U
-Paper Mario in the style of the first two
-New Star Fox
-Nintendoland 2
-Sudden N64 release along with confirmed of GC...jk, sudden GC release as well

3DS
-Pokemon ORAS info
-Game and Gallery 3 release. Totally illogical but Ninty plz

General
-NFP info
-Cross-buy discounts
-Achievements plz

Gashole

Gashole said:

1. An actual release date for Smash Bros. 3DS., and figurine inclusion for that version, too.
2. Majora's Mask 3D.
3. Castlevania 3, 3DS eShop, in North America. (You just KNOW us 30-plus-year-olds need it!)
4. Steel Diver, Driver, and Flyer: Global War. “It's about all things Steel!” (Kidding.)

Yoshis_VGM

Yoshis_VGM said:

I'm trying very hard to keep my expectations low. What I really want to see from this E3 is Yarn Yoshi. Please Nintendo, it's time to show that game off.

Elsewhere in my little dream world that I'm trying not to get my hopes up for, this small list exists:
-A new Paper Mario on Wii U...a PROPER Paper Mario. Or, alternatively, TTYD HD
-A new Luigi's Mansion on Wii U. And have Next Level Games develop it; they did a fantastic job with Dark Moon
-A proper Wii Sports sequel, perhaps?
-More HD games from the GameCube or the N64

I know that the Tokyo EAD team is working on the next 3D Mario game already. I feel like it's too soon to show it off, but if they DO choose to show it tomorrow, it better NOT be Galaxy 3 and it better NOT be Sunshine 2. In fact, it shouldn't be a sequel at all — it's due time for a completely original 3D Mario game.

James1993

James1993 said:

I have the most unlikeliest wish of all. I wish for Super Mario World 2: Yoshi`s Island to be announced on the Nintendo Wii Virtual Console, Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console, and Nintendo Wii U Virtual console service.

Rafie

Rafie said:

I do have to say that I think Nintendo just may win E3 this year. MS conference was meh...with a bit of excitement towards Crackdown and Scalebound (Platinum games exclusive for XB1). I see Sony doing something right on the level with MS with Project Morpheus. I think Nintendo can actually pull this off. I guess we'll wait and see.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

@IxC I just don't see Metroid Prime 4 being announced. Maybe a 2D Metroid for the 3DS, but a full blown 3D Prime game being out by this holiday (since most games announced at E3 are usually out by then) just seems unlikely to me.

Moose_4

Moose_4 said:

Please just say N64 games on Wii U eShop this week.

I am ready to pay for a lot of games i want to replay!

IxC

IxC said:

@SparkOfSpirit

No chance of it coming out this year at all.

Just like Zelda. They'll show it, but it's a 2015 title at the earliest.

They could show Prime 4. They could have a playable build ready by now. But there would be no chance of a release before 2015.

We'll see what happens. Retro might not even be working on Metroid. Maybe they're doing Starfox or something entirely new. Whatever they're doing, we'd damn well better find out what it is. If E3 ends and we don't know what Retro are working on, I'll be livid.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I want Rodeo the Sky Soldier (Wii or Wii U I am not bothered just want it released).

What I don't want is sequels that don't raise the bar (Like e.g DKCR did).

Nintendo shouldn't do another F-Zero. Sega should do it or nobody should.

Star Fox - Stopped being interested after playing Rogue Leader. Maybe it could work if they did a game with many different play styles.

Definitely not interested in Metroid. (Unless they totally change the formula again).

outburst

outburst said:

@Icarus423
I just got back to console gaming late last year and having recently bought Metroid Prime Trilogy, my first impression playing with wiimote + nunchuk was like "whoah, cool. It really felt like I am Samus with her beam. They should make a Rockman (megaman) game like this one.". :D

she_gamer

she_gamer said:

A solid Paper Mario would be awesome. TTYD is my favourite of all time, and I did enjoy the Wii one... but the 3DS version left something to be desired. So it's been a decade since I've truly been enthralled with a Mario RPG.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

My actual #1 dream? Earthbound.

But if we want to be at least slightly realistic, I'm gonna go ahead and say Luigi's Mansion 3 for Wii U by Next level.

And yes, new IPs. I think it's time to get fresh faces on at least a couple of games.

rjejr

rjejr said:

For a website that's constantly filled w/ comments like - COD sucks, Madden sucks, Battlefield sucks - I sure do see a lot of remakes and sequels on peoples lists. ;-)

It's E3, I want a couple of NEW game announcements. Maybe not entirely new concepts - Watch Dogs is usually referred to as a GTA clone, and Destiny is just Halo w/ a Sphere - but at least they are still new IP. W101 and Puppeteer didnt do well but they were both good games. That's what E3 is for. I feel like Nintendo themselves haven't done anything new at home since Pikmin. Gamecube had some new good stuff like Luigi's Mansion. Wii had Elebits near the beginning, and Zack and Wiki. I'ld say the handheld gets some new stuff. Pokepark was new and different, even if it was Pokemon.

Goginho

Goginho said:

More Mario stuff, Zelda stuff, and Yoshi stuff...Majora's Mask remake I guess (it's bound to happen anyway :P), as well as Luigi's Mansion for Wii U. A 3D Donkey Kong game in the works would be nice, with massive environments to explore, plenty of objects and items to collect, and wacky characters to chose from again - co-op would't hurt a 3D DK game. Definitely Star Fox for Wii U. Oh, and can't forget Wario. Announce a Wario Land game in the works, and right after the show release a fully-coloured port / remake of Virtual Boy's Wario Land for 3DS. Make a new Wario Land game, perhaps one with Waluigi in it too somehow, uniquely integrated into the gameplay and mechanics and what not. Be creative :)

Frapp

Frapp said:

Hopes: something truly unique from Miyamoto; lots of new IPs; an episodic game from Nintendo; returns for any of Raymond Bryce, Captain Falcon, 2D Samus, Doshin the Giant, or Ryota Hayami; Go Vacation for Wii U with online and Miiverse integration; LOTS of Japanese goodness; new Excite-type racer from Monster Games; new Dragon Quest and Crystal Chronicles games for 3DS; some 3DS software that uses 3D in new, interesting ways

Dreams: region-free 3DS update; Nintendo purchasing Capcom; something on the level of the Wii reveal

Fears: Metroid Prime 4

Expectations: Mario-Maker; everything else 2015

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

WHAT I EXPECT
Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney U.S. release date
Legend of Zelda Wii U information... perhaps a short video showing off the game's graphical style
More details on X, perhaps a finalized name
Information on Yarn Yoshi
Information on SSB

WHAT I WISH
Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney U.S. release date
Solid release dates for SSB 3DS and Wii U
Full details on Yarn Yoshi, including a release window
Majora's Mask for Nintendo 3DS
Full details on Legend of Zelda U, including a release window
Full details on X, including a release window
ANY details on SMT x FE
A new Metroid/Star Fox/F-Zero/etc.

LookAtMahFace

LookAtMahFace said:

@Rafie For me, aside from call of duty, forza and the division, ms conference was very entertaining. But yeah, i think that nintendo has chances to win this e3 ;)

gamr4life

gamr4life said:

I'd like for them to announce a F-Zero game for the wii u as well as a new metroid game for the wii u as well.

markybbop

markybbop said:

Luigis mansion hd
zelda u
the new aliens game which xbone and ps4 shouldn't have
2 brand new fps games with much focus on multiplayer
football manager
an exclusive capcom game
mario super striker 2
a new monkey balls game
vanquish 2
bomberman
The division
more rpgs considering the wii had loads like, last stand, pamdoras tower, fire emblem

ZenTurtle

ZenTurtle said:

A remake of ET (Atari version), it was such an under-appreciated game! I would also like a vc release of Mario Party 1. And an English language version of Gorby's Pipeline Plan.

dumedum

dumedum said:

I'm happy with all the indies, I'll be glad with release dates for current Wii U games, 2-3 new big announcements (ala Starfox etc), and a couple of third party exclusives. The latter won't happen, but it's really all I need to love playing on Nintendo consoles... the stuff on the other consoles I have no time for and no interest, except for a game here and there... happily to be replaced with Nintendo's offerings.

dumedum

dumedum said:

@IxC loved your suggestions. A transparent XL will make me change from my regular 3DS. Probably the only thing that will make me change my 3DS.

Rafie

Rafie said:

@LookAtMahFace It was too much CGI going on there. I wanted some gameplay trailers and such. It's all good though. I guess we'll see what happens with Sony tonight. I'm actually more excited for Nintendo because they have a chance to blow us all away. They don't even have to show any gameplay. They can just start announcing titles and they will win. Of course they would have to deliver on that, but hey...win win for everyone! :)

LDXD

LDXD said:

Star tropics 3
Metroid U
Zelda U RPG
F-zero U
Star fox adventures U
Super metroid 2 3ds
Metroid 2 return of samus remastered for Wii u eshop and 3ds
And every nes, snes, n64 and GameCube game on the virtual console by the end of the year
And a completely new IP or 2
This could happen! Right?

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

As long as Nintendo keep making variety, and not all Assassin's Creed clones with either swords or guns like the Xbox presentation was, I'll be happy.

Raptor78

Raptor78 said:

I would like some of the more popular 3DS titles that make good use of the Duel screen making a transition to the wiiU. Not ports exactly but a wiiu specific sequal or a full remake with extra features. Kid Ikarus is a brilliant example because you could either use the gamepad as you did with the bottom screen or use a wiimote nunchuck combo etc.

Shambo

Shambo said:

@IxC That's quite the list, and it's remarkably close to mine. Add No More Heroes 3, Ubisoft turning around with ZombiU 2, Fragile Dreams 2, new Sin and Punishment,... And you sadly KNOW you won't get to see half of it happen.
But news on Project Zero/Fatal Frame is a MUST. Survival horror. Bring it back, I need it!

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

I just want a few surprises. Something that gets me excited for fall and winter. If they release 5 semi major exclusive games by Christmas I'll be happy, and I think that is pretty realistic considering Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, and SSB should all be out before Christmas so 2 surprises?

Ok ------- What I really want ------- A ton of info on SMT v FE and X. Also an announcement of some sort of HD collection of prior Fire Emblem games. An Advanced War Wii U game. And Nintendo slipping back into the sports area with a baseball game not involving Mario. Also about 4 N64 and 4 GC games for VC before the end of the year.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@rjejr yeah but are those yearly remakes with little to no change?
I'm with ya though would love for a completely new IP

SkillToad

SkillToad said:

My dream come true would be a new Paper Mario for Wii U (to make up for Sticker Star in a way), Majora's Mask 3D as many have said, and Metroid Prime IV. Virtual console GC games would be nice too.

LookAtMahFace

LookAtMahFace said:

@Rafie I just want nintendo to show us some new and awesome games for wii u, their last e3 direct was good, but i was a bit disappointed by the fact that they pretty much said which games they would announce for it.

Natsu9k

Natsu9k said:

Yes! F-Zero with 30 online multiplayer! It could not be more obvious in my mind. Who ever doesn't agree just isn't sane! Sry, pre E3 jitterz :)
@IxC
"Bomberman for Smash Bros." Thank You! I thought I was the only one. I almost cried...

2Sang

2Sang said:

@rjejr what you said, yes. I want to see a out-of-nowhere new game or even a revival a la Kid Icarus Uprising. "New" and "Returns" are poor excuses for an otherwise genius company. I'm hoping for no more than 1 rehash game.

2Sang

2Sang said:

The only question that matters right now is will Captain Falcon "punch in" tomorrow or will he be a hidden character?

PokeAl

PokeAl said:

I expect a bunch of kids games, although I'm sure they'll be great as always. Maybe they will surprise me? or more likely they have accepted that their target market is mom's purse on birthdays and at Christmas.

NintendoFTW1999

NintendoFTW1999 said:

@IxC I'm kinda hoping I won't be, but I'm trying to have low expectations. The thing I'm most curious about is the mysterious Mario Maker thing that surfaced recently. I really wonder what it will be (besides an app/game for making Mario levels, presumably.)

KillScottKill

KillScottKill said:

Zelda U - what the Wii U needs more than anything

New Metroid made by Retro - what I realistically want, but may not happen

Nintendo and Capcom teaming on a new Mega Man game - what I want more than anything on Earth, but will never, ever happen

NintendoFTW1999

NintendoFTW1999 said:

I'm really hoping it's not 90% Smash Bros. Like, yeah the game's cool and big, but it's not the ONLY game Nintendo has in the works. (Plus, they make it sound like the Wii U version is the only version worth getting, and I don't own a Wii U and don't plan to in the near future...) I'm hoping for some news on Legend of Zelda and Mario. I have this feeling they're going to do something with Mario Sports of some sort, but I don't know. Call me crazy. Anyway, the only thing I have in the back of my mind that I've been trying to suppress because I don't want to get excited for something that probably won't happen is Nintendo giving details on an Animal Crossing game for the Wii U. That's the only thing I can think of that would make me purchase a Wii U in the near future. However, I'm hoping they don't do what they did with New Leaf, which is tell us about (or tease) a game two years or so before it will be released. (I remember at a recent but not last E3, they had the Animal Crossing logo on screen with a ton of planned 3DS game releases, and then didn't talk about it for MONTHS.) Well, come to think of it, Super Mario Galaxy 3 for almost any console would also make me very happy. Or Super Mario Sunshine 2. Wait, no. They would probably do something that would mess up the game if they made a second Sunshine.

MetalK9

MetalK9 said:

I'm looking forward to a new F-Zero, Metroid and Punch-Out! if any. And make Metroid HARDER! It's a rush playing MPrime 2 in Hard difficulty. I want more power suits. I want to lose my powers again and get even better ones in replacement. I want it to be after Fusion in the Metroid timline. F-Zero... would... be... great! The music we can create now and the graphics. OMG it would be heaven. And don't get me started on the special effects and the mutlyplayer online ideas. Would love to see Little Mac again and seeing a good Little Mac model being used in Smash Bros. would be absolutely great, beating up redik bosses in HD.

xSATANACHISTx

xSATANACHISTx said:

Fantasy predictions: Nintendo acquire Grasshopper Manufacture, Platinum games and Tango and merge them into a super studio headed by Inafune. A new Killer7 game is announced together with a bunch of new IP's and MadWorld 2.

Rockstar is working on a brand new IP for Wii U besed in Carcer city with nods to Manhunt and GTA.

daniruy

daniruy said:

I begin the E3 hype disappointed because I know Nintendo won't give me everything I want (Star Fox, Metroid, online F-Zero, Kid Icarus, a FPS li,e Goldeneye, Mario Galaxy HD and 3). But I keep my mind open.

Now I'm happy just because those indie titles are awesome and Mega Man X3 is finally coming. But there is huge room for more, Nintendo, c'mon!

Dragonxflame323

Dragonxflame323 said:

F-Zero, Star Fox, and Metroid are at the top of my wish list. I would also love to see Strike Team developed by Retro or Next Level Games. Hopefully they can make a good gamepad proposition with it as well.

Booboos35

Booboos35 said:

I really want N64, Gamecube, and DS on VC. As for new games, the only thing I really want is a new 3D Mario game on Wii U.

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

they show more info about Pokken fighters, yoshi yarn and other games that there too many to name now like maybe starfox or f zero. I would love to a hd collection of paper mario thousand year door. But the main game im waiting for is the zelda game which will be amazing. More amazing than microsoft or song can make.

IxC

IxC said:

Sony have just announced Grim Fandango Remastered for PS4.

Sony just beat Microsoft.

Come on Nintendo, you can top Grim Fandango, if you try.

RetroRyan727

RetroRyan727 said:

What I want is a 3DS Player for the Wii U. I want to be able to play DS and 3DS games on my TV. Virtual Console DS games don't cut it because the majority of DS games were made by third party companies.

AugustusOxy

AugustusOxy said:

Marghlargh. I could give three craps about Metroid at this point, sure I want a new game, but I want new IPs and a new starfox.

Andremario

Andremario said:

A final PUBLIC release of GBA on 3ds.Sorry. They are handheld games they belong on a handheld.

Henmii

Henmii said:

What I am hoping for: Metroid, Starfox, Fantastic looking new Zelda, Fantastic looking new Miyamoto franchise.

What I fear we will get: Mario, Mario, Mario, NFC and overpriced downloads.

Hopefully I am wrong. Last E3 Direct was great!

shigulicious

shigulicious said:

A remake of sorts combining all three Metroid Prime games into one story, one game. HD. A freakin flying Samus' ship level. In Steel Case please. I want to put it next to the trilogy.

RoomB31

RoomB31 said:

@IxC
after watching both sony's and microsofts I worry I will be disappointed too, however microsofts was pretty boring! so there's hope!

Pahvi

Pahvi said:

The best hope is something we don't know yet. A new Mario, Zelda, Metroid - ehh, these only cement Nintendo's reputation as a Mario factory. On the other hand, Nintendo has presented new IPs - at least Pushmo and The Wonderful 101 - so they can do it.

Some deluded thoughts:

Watching Platinum Games' XBoxOne exclusive Scalebound reveal video, I was thinking, "Is this a Platinum Games take on Monster Hunter?" but I kind of doubt that would be a working combination.

Then, giving the makers of Xenoblade Chronicles a chance with an open-world Zelda would be a thing... except we wouldn't see the final game until the next console generation at the earliest.

Exciteful 101 - nah.

An indie take on classic shoot'em-ups somehow mixing in the gamepad would be an interesting thing.

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

I'm shooting high, but here's a few new announcement hopes for Nintendo's presser tomorrow. Zelda U, Zelda Majora's Mask 3D, Super Mario Sunshine HD, and Metroid (3DS or WiiU). I'd like to see a new Starfox, F-Zero, or Wave Race game. Oh, and a 3D Donkey Kong game would be amazing.

TheAdza

TheAdza said:

GameCube and Dreamcast Virtual Console
F Zero U
Super Mario Galaxy 3
Mario Kart 8 DLC
Pokemon main series game Wii U.

Nintendo also needs to make some games and new IP in established genres to round out the library like:
A 3rd Person Shooter
A fantasy adventure game that's not Zelda
A classic JRPG style game.

I hope we don't get Mario sports games and more 2D platformers. I've had enough.

Henmii

Henmii said:

According to Ign Benelux (so no need to place a link since its in dutch) there has been a image leaked that shows that the Nintendo event only takes 30 minutes!

I hope this isn't true, because this means they have nothing to show!

Update: It also seems to be on Nintendoeverything.com, but the page doesn't want to load.

Nirosmir

Nirosmir said:

My hopes for E3 from Nintendo: Zelda Wii U, Majora's Mask Remake, Pokken Fighters, more on S.T.E.A.M., New game from Next Level Games, What Retro is working on, What Shigeru is Working on, Star Fox, F-Zero, more Virtual Console games with the inclusion of Gamecube and Nintendo 64 games, DLC for Mario Kart 8, X release date, Bayonneta 2 release date for US, Metroid for 3DS...I guess that's it

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

Any news I don't know about and game releases is on my wish list. As long as it's new and/or make good use of the system's features, they can lay out whatever surprises they have up their sleeves. I like the old E3 surprise.

MostFrantic

MostFrantic said:

i know all the legalities associated with this

but i want an HD goldeneye remake. no loadouts, no rank or level systems. just glossy multiplayer battles, with online capabilities.

remote mines in the basement

I'd also love if they could release more VC games per week. all systems

Purple

Purple said:

I'd love to see, Pokemon Snap U, Wario World 2, Yoshi's Yarn World, Excite Bike, MYSTICAL NINJA U.

what i don't wanna see is some silly craptacular crap. Where are the cool games?

Booboos35

Booboos35 said:

Less than an hour? Really? Well I just went on the Nintendo e3 website and it says the first Treehouse thing is starting at 11:35 PT. 2 and a half hours after the digital event starts. Maybe it could be 2 and a half hours. One can hope anyways.

Nickvp95

Nickvp95 said:

Here's what i'm hoping/dreaming for:

1. Majora's Mask 3D
2. A darker, possibly Majora's Mask themed Zelda for WiiU
3. First Person Metroid on WiiU
4. New IP of some sort
5. An official, hopefully July release date on SSB 3DS

Honestly, If not those, I just want to be kept on my toes. Unexpected surprises are what make an E3 great in my opinion

FordGuy

FordGuy said:

Considering I'd only want a game that I'd play a while and I don't have a Wii U, I'd like to see
1. Another Fire Emblem game that takes place in Awakening's era
2. A high-quality 3rd party racing game. Not a crappy game like Asphalt 3D but a well-done game like NFS The Run or Ridge Racer 3D.
3. Because I'm into 3rd party stuff, maybe, just maybe, a nice Sonic The Hedgehog game?

Henmii

Henmii said:

"Banjo Threeie for Wii U"

Oh, if only....

By the way: Hopefully we also see a new Professor Layton! Level 5 said the series is done, but this can't be the end of our beloved professor?! We'll see!

WindWakerLink

WindWakerLink said:

@IxC "Agreed."

Not to sound like a "debbie-downer but, I'm keeping my expectations low this time around. The real hype and excitement for me is that live smash Bros tournament!!! I can't wait for that!!

FineLerv

FineLerv said:

F-Zero can probably wait a year with Mario Kart out in full force. Let's have Starfox U with large scale online dog fights. I don't really want a short e-shop title, I want them to give the franchise everything they have.

ICHIkatakuri

ICHIkatakuri said:

F(ast)-Zero Rnx Shin en you've been too quiet after promising you show something soon 6 months ago.

WoottWinds

WoottWinds said:

Super Mario RPG 2 for Wii U or 3DS remake/port of the original. That's all. That's all I want. That's all I've ever wanted.

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

All I saw was number 1: Star Fox. Number 2: Star Fox. Number 3: Star Fox. Seriously Nintendo WE ARE SHOUTING HOW BADLY WE WANT IT!!!!

Banker-Style

Banker-Style said:

Nintendo needs real big exclusives,
Metroid needs to return
same as Star Fox and F-Zero
Galaxy 3 needs to happen
New IP
Free DLC for MK 8
Yarn Yoshi
And the new Wii U Zelda needs to be revealed

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

If I don't see Majora's Mask I will be disappointed as usual, but other announcements can make up for that. Zelda U, MK8 DLC, Smash 3DS release date (soon) and confirming Smash Wii U for at least December, Yarn Yoshi, Galaxy 3, some cool NFC game, N64/GCN VC will all go a long way to making me happy. I've never played Star Fox, F-Zero or Metroid in a proper capacity so I can't say I'd be too excited to see them.

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

What I expect:

Nothing.

Its better to be awed when you don't expect the obvious or nothing at all :>

Blue-Thunder

Blue-Thunder said:

I'd like to see some proper game announcements. At the moment after smash and Zelda there is nothing.

I think F Zero has a chance. It's now or never.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

I want Metroid, a couple of big new IPs, Zelda U, Majora's Mask 3D and some little even downloadable games (new Ice Climbers and the like).

A new F-Zero would be nice but I don't think it's gonna happen.

md1986ok

md1986ok said:

What i want:
-a new Wario Land game(!);
-Pikmin for 3ds;
-a Metroid game;
-Zelda Wii U and 3ds;
-Paper Mario Wii U;
-Luigi's Mansion Wii U;
-a new IP!

AltonLove

AltonLove said:

Paper Mario Wii U so badly. I would also love a Metroid Prime 4 and HD ports of the Galaxy duology and Sunshine. Or Galaxy 3, or any new 3D Mario at all. Just no New Super Mario Bros. games. The only horrible thing Nintendo could announce tomorrow is the Nintendo 3DS U. Not a new handheld console that's a horrible concept, but the name that would make me violently vomitous.

Kirk

Kirk said:

I just realized something and I think I'm recalling this correctly: There basically wasn't a single game announced for Wii U at EA's or Ubisoft's E3 conferences AND I don't think a single one of the multi-platform games shown for Xbox One or PS4 at the Microsoft and Sony conferences is coming to Wii U either. Or if there was then maybe there was a dance game or something. To me, that is like "OMG WTF is happening with Wii U?!". I have never in my life seen a Nintendo console, outside of Virtual Boy obviously, that the big developers have just totally and utterly dropped so absolutely. It's saddening how little of a sh*t the big developers give about Wii U and imo it's basically all Nintendo's fault.

Nintendo has a LOT of work to do...

Note: I wish I could make that "LOT" about ten times bigger than every other word in this post to REALLY put the emphasis on it.

Tritonus

Tritonus said:

I seriously hope Next Level Games are working on a Mario Strikers for Wii U... That was really one of the best games on Wii, and had fantastic online competitive and co-op play.

Also, Luigi's Mansion 3 on Wii U would actually be really awesome. Off-tv/gamepad room scanning anyone? It makes perfect sense...

Anyways, hoping for:

New Metroid U
New Zelda U
Mario Strikers for Wii U
Luigis Mansion 3 for Wii U
Fire Emblem for Wii U
Full Pokemon (Online) game for Wii U
Starfox for Wii U

Kirk

Kirk said:

Here's my totally never ever likely to happen ideal scenario (regarding Wii U alone for now)...

Nintendo announces:

• All the Wii U GamePads will come with improved battery by default
  • A permanent Virtual Console price reduction across the board; to maybe say half the price
  • Option to pay for activation of CD/DVD/MP4/AVI and even Blu-Ray (if possible) playback
  • A new Wii U model with much more inbuilt storage (say a 256BG-500GB hard drive)
  • Proper single unified accounts system announced where you can buy one copy of a game and play it across both Wii U and 3DS/2DS where possible and certainly with basically all the VC titles and most of the eShop titles (this would work back and forth with both Wii U and 3DS titles, if possible, so you could actually play most/all your digital 3DS/2DS titles on your Wii U if you choose to)
  • Wii U price cut; to say £150 with 1 digital only game (choice from ALL titles) and £199 with 2 digital only games (choice from ALL titles) and an extra Wiimote. Or £250 for the 256GB/500GB model, one/two digital game(s) and no extra Wiimote, if you consider that with the extra storage this would basically put in line with current PS3/Xbox360 models but there's the extra cost of the GamePad to take into account.
  • More Smash Bros Wii U shown and playable
  • New Yarn Yoshi shown and playable
  • New Zelda shown in at least full ACTUAL GAME ONLY trailer form (like Ocarina or Twilight reveals) and maybe even playable form
  • New Kirby announced/shown/playable
  • New Metroid announced/shown/playable
  • New F-Zero announced/shown/playable
  • New Star Fox announced/shown/playable
  • New Punch-Out!! announced/shown/playable
  • New Fire Emblem announced/shown/playable
  • New full blown 3D HD next-gen console Animal Crossing announced/shown/playable
  • New full blown 3D HD next-gen console Pokemon RPG/MMO announced/shown/playable
  • New full blown 3D HD next-gen console Earthbound announced/shown/playable
  • Maybe one or two surprise game announcements of brand new genuine masterpiece titles destined to become new classic franchises alongside the other classics like Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Metroid etc

Yes, it is for all intents and purposes basically impossible at this stage but I defy anyone to say that wouldn't be one of if not thee best Nintendo E3 "shows" in history and probably even the best E3 show in history period.

Frapp

Frapp said:

@Kirk I think Just Dance 2015 was the only Wii U game, but yes, that's otherwiswe totally true and in any other era it would have the punters banging on Nintendo's proverbial door. However, seeing the absolute soulless dross that the big developers are coming out with, for once I'm not personally bothered that they're ignoring Nintendo again. I've watched 4 conferences and the only things that I found interesting were the Grim Fandango news and the indie games in the Vita sizzle trailer. I predicted a bad E3, but it's even worse than I feared. And Nintendo haven't even shown their wares (or lack thereof) yet.

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

E3 predictions:

Zelda MM aug-oct 2014
Hyrule Warriors oct-nov 2014
Smash Wii U nov 2014 uses NFC
Zelda Wii U 2nd half 2015
Bayonetta this summer
MK8 DLC this summer (I would love Kirby DLC but I doubt they’ll do it)
Mario Maker not being fake :P LBP like game with NES assets? hope not)
Metroid 3DS
other old Nintendo IP renewed
GameCube VC this holiday or early 2015
DS VC this fall
X this holiday/early 2015
Yarn Yoshi 2015
Smash 3DS july-aug later update to include NFC
Miyamoto’s new IP
Several eShop games
a surprise download available right after the show (Mario Maker?)
one older IP turned into eShop game (Starfox?)

Hoping for:
Zelda game where you play as Zelda
Futuristic Zelda game
StarFox/F-Zero/Metroid mashup
cross-buy and cross-play
Pokkén Tournament

Kirk

Kirk said:

@Frapp

Well there were actually quite a few games I personally found quite interesting and compelling across all those conferences but this really is more about what having basically ZERO of those games means in the bigger picture and grand scheme of things than what we might individually think of it on a personal level.

I know you might not care that there's basically no third party games coming to Wii U, outside of some low budget indie titles, but to me this is about as grim a situation as a Nintendo console has ever been in and that just reinforces all the claims that the Wii U basically isn't worth buying or caring about unless you (that's the royal 'you') really are a total Nintendo FAN who honestly believes a console experience can be good enough with only a few first party games and basically nothing else and in all of console history that has NEVER been true thus far.

This whole situation is just VERY VERY depressing imo and right now, unless Nintendo basically does all the stuff I said above and actually gets more than just the most loyal FANS interested in it's system again, I can see almost no way Nintendo can turn this situation around.

FlaygletheBagel

FlaygletheBagel said:

I'm keeping my expectations low. Let's be honest, how much is Nintendo going to cover in a 40 minute Digital event? Probably not much.

-I expect to hear more about the games we already know about (but probably not all of them), like Zelda U, Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, Monolith Soft's X, Yarn Yoshi, Hyrule Warriors, Smash Bros. If they do that and reveal nothing else, I'd honestly be pretty satisfied with it. That's a solid lineup of games.
-I bet Super Mario Sunshine is getting an HD remake, a la Wind Waker.
-Nintendo will talk in great length about the NFC figurines and how they will operate with Super Smash Bros. and one other new crossover game.
-They will give some quick new info on Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.
-Super Smash Bros is likely getting a 3DS bundle.
-We'll see a new Smash character getting unveiled.
-One surprise 3DS reveal is coming. They have to talk about it for 90 minutes, so it's got to be something complicated and in-depth. It can't just be a platformer. My guess is it's Advance Wars 3DS.

Thats all. Even a couple of those things are probably not going to happen. But either way, I'm excited for Nintendo' event and I'll keep on buying their stuff regardless of how much or how little of it there is.

Frapp

Frapp said:

@Kirk
I don't care because I've done my crying. No, I agree with just about everything you said. I don't think Nintendo can turn it around; rather, only manage a few pyrrhic victories whilst plotting their future direction. Unless they miraculously find a new Pokemon, Wii U is doomed to be their worst performing major console.
Gaming, not just Nintendo, is in big trouble. The gaming landscape as we knew it has just about gone, Japanese development is either dead or gone to mobile, and we're reaching the end of the road for the established business model.
It's going to be a very bumpy ride for a while. Better make the most of what we get.

Gravedigga13

Gravedigga13 said:

Dear NintendoSantaJesusSpirit, it's almost half Christmas, and I wish a release date for a Metroid game on the 3ds! Pretty please!!!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Kirk What those 3rd parties are making is depressing in itself. (All I care about is Japanese Arcade and Console games). Unfortunately there is only Nintendo still making them. (Excluding Sega AM2 which seems to have existed in a bubble since the death of the Dreamcast but their stuff is hardly ever ported).

Tritonus

Tritonus said:

Also, these are your wildest hopes and dreams, Nintendolife? Damn, you don't have a lot of faith in Nintendo these days... Kinda sad that it's come to this.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@LDXD - One thing Nitnedo is very good at is 1 game per system*. Mario Kart, SSB, 2D Mario, 3D Mario. I remember how shocked everybody was when SMG2 came out on the Wii. But it just seems like all most people want is another Starfox or Metroid or Wipeout. Sure I want some sequels too, I've been waiting over 10 years for Legend of Dragoon 2 or Skies of Arcadia 2, but they can be announced whenever, for E3 I want new IP. And not even new characters, just new games. Starfox Adventures and Sonic Adventure were both very different from their typical games. I'ld even welcome a new Donkey Kong game if it were 3D. "Pikmin Adventure" could be a 2D 3DS game like Kirby Mass Attack. Or it could be a NFC toy game like Animal Crossing. Pokepark is very different from Pokemon. New and/or different.

• I do think Nitneod cheats a bit w/ its 1 game per system rule by using Mario so much. Strikers, Sluggers, Sports Mix, the Paper and RPG games. Sports Resort is a sort of sequel to Wii Sports. No, they don't have a yearly game like Assassins Creed, CoD or Madden, but Zelda, Mario and Metroid Prime 1, 2, 3 tell me they aren't all about innovation like some people think. Though Tomodachi Life seems ways cool, and not a single Nintendo IP in the game. Old IP games make money to fund the new IP. Thats the way the industry works.
rjejr

rjejr said:

@2Sang - "or even a revival a la Kid Icarus Uprising."

I never played the original Kid Icarus games - just seem too hard and uninteresting to me - and I haven't played Uprising either. But my kids have played Uprising consistently since it launched, and I think its one of the best games Nitnedo has ever done. OK not ever, but the past 10 years maybe. It just has so much packed into it. It's fully voiced acted. The humour is completely over the top. It's breaks the 4th wall. It has online multiplayer. 10 different skill settings, which is on reason my kids have played it so much, keep going back harder and harder. It utilizes AR cards - which are much cheaper than toys. Best 3DS graphics at the time. Better than Wii. Sure it was difficult to control but they packed in on rails shooter, flying, ground battles. Everything. All on a handheld game.

Wii U could really use some type of "revival" of that all-out everything they got and then some magnitude. If I didn't already own a Wii U I would buy one for a sequel, or even a port since I've never actually played it. And cross play w/ the 3DS version like Monster Hunter of course. I'ld rather some some other game completely remade and revisited to that extent though :-)

LDXD

LDXD said:

@rjejr wow man I totally forgot about those two awesome games skies of Arcadia and Legend of Dragoon I would love to hear about a sequel for either one of those
As for a new IP from Nintendo I would love for it to be a huge RPG or even a strategy/RPG something big and include all their characters actually anything new would be welcomed

LDXD

LDXD said:

What I really want is Star Tropics 3. I know it wouldn't be considered new but its been gone for so longit might as well be

2Sang

2Sang said:

@rjejr You really should play it. It's one of the best games I have ever played and my personal favorite so far this decade. The comedic humor, sakurai-level of details and unlockables, and story are seriously breathtaking. I'd say it's probably the greatest experience I have played in a video game since Mother 3 back in 2007.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@2Sang - "You really should play it."

I need an XL first. I was consdieirng 1 next month for my birthday but Oct 3 isn't "summer" so I'll wait to see if there is a bundle for Christmas.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@2Sang - " I want to see a out-of-nowhere new game"

I know it's not a huge AAA title, but I thought Splatoon fit the bill. I'm a father of 2 boys and a lot of my gaming is based on gaming w/ them and Splatoon looks fun, and its about as new and different as they come.

2Sang

2Sang said:

@rjejr I thought it was an okay looking game for kids, just not for me. Project steam I thought was a better original ip to come out of nowhere.