Talking Point: What We Expect In Nintendo Direct - 13th February

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Though we hope for so much more

Throughout 2013 Nintendo Direct broadcasts were a monthly affair, with some being small broadcasts focused on specific titles. After the pre-Christmas broadcast that surprised us with games such as NES Remix and more so with Hyrule Warriors, January passed without a further update. That was hardly a surprise due to Nintendo's management being force to reveal and deal with poor financial and sales figures — for a time the focus wasn't on games, but what Nintendo was going to do to revive the Wii U and return to handsome profits.

What those briefings did reveal, among many other things, is that Nintendo sees the 3DS as its major driver of profit this year and will continue to promote and push the Wii U in its current form — in other words, the GamePad is going nowhere. While around two weeks have passed since, those strategic decisions at least make it clear that the Wii U will focus on its GamePad, and that the slim list of confirmed 3DS games for the latter half of 2014 is likely to be beefed up substantially in the next few months.

But what of today's Nintendo Direct? For its part Nintendo has said that it'll focus on "Wii U and Nintendo 3DS games launching by the end of spring". It's standard for Nintendo to focus in on a period in its announcement, though we'd be surprised if at least one surprise isn't thrown in for good measure. As we await the hype and madness of the event, let's outline some of what we feel are relatively realistic expectations.

More Details on Imminent Arrivals

Playing into Nintendo's official description, these are the most obvious and safe bets. We'd expect another extended trailer and some final detail for Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, the next major Wii U title getting increasingly close to stores around the world. Mario Kart 8 will likely be a main attraction, as it's due relatively soon (May) yet we know so little. Based on preview builds and official information we simply know that there'll be an option to post footage to Miiverse with Mario Kart TV, Baby characters, customisable vehicles, new tracks and some usage of the GamePad's touch screen (a map and horn button) and motion control, yet there's much yet to be confirmed. How many tracks will there be? Are there any new single- or multiplayer modes? Will the online setup be similar (including Communities) to Mario Kart 7, or perhaps expanded further? Nintendo has plenty of scope to reveal more.

In terms of the 3DS, we'd anticipate a bit more information on Yoshi's New Island now that it has a Western release date. North America will be hopeful of dates for Professor Layton Vs. Ace Attorney and, quite likely, an upcoming Inazuma Eleven release — Europeans may expect more footage of the former due to a date already being confirmed.

Extended Footage and Release Windows of Previously Confirmed Games

There are a whole raft of titles confirmed for 2014 that are yet to receive release windows; if Nintendo needs a big finale that isn't a surprise, a Super Smash Bros. release window would be ideal. There are plenty of other games that are due updates, and one that some are excitedly predicting, based on some retweeting, is Monolith Soft's X; that would be just fine by us. Bayonetta 2, announced with such excitement way back in September 2012, is also long overdue further footage and, ideally, a release window, while Yarn Yoshi has been almost entirely elusive since its announcement over one year ago. As for Hyrule Warriors, it feels too soon for that to re-enter the hype cycle in any meaningful way, but that depends on how far along Tecmo Koei's development has advanced.

Moving to the 3DS, we'd be surprised if another Nintendo Direct passes by without some mention of Mario Golf: World Tour, which was announced a year ago and expected in Summer 2013, yet has somewhat fallen off the radar. We also wonder whether Kirby: Triple Deluxe has a release window ready for an announcement, as some retailers have started listing it with placeholder dates in May.

New Products and Surprises

This Nintendo Direct will be 40 minutes long, so it's one of the longer broadcasts. It's also the first of 2014, and the equivalent of 2013 was used to blow doors off and build some excitement. Nintendo needs buzz right now, especially so for the Wii U but also, to an extent, for the 3DS. Last year was terrific from a 3DS software standpoint, which it needs to try and emulate, while the easiest way to change the message of gloom around the Wii U isn't through talking strategies and concepts, but with irresistable games.

Nintendo is notoriously tough to predict, and we suspect many will be happy with firm release dates for various exciting titles confirmed for the Wii U. Nevertheless, we hope there'll be at least one segment and sizzle reel dedicated to the eShop platforms, perhaps even with a surprise "available now" download, a trick Nintendo's pulled before.

As for what games we'd all love to see on both systems, that list could go on for an eternity. There's always a chance there won't be any "wow" moments, but then Nintendo's surprised us enough times that we can at least dream. If Satoru Iwata and his teams in North America and Europe have a new, previously unheard-of killer Wii U game announcement, it would help bring a warm glow back to the system. We like to fantasize, in any case, and at the very least would hope that this broadcast will throw in a few curve balls, as was the case in December.

What are your hopes for this Nintendo Direct, realistic and otherwise? Share all in the comments below, and be sure to keep it here where we'll provide live streams with commentary and post-broadcast reaction when it all happens.

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

If they show footage of X and Bayonetta 2 + Announcing a new Harvest Moon game for Wii U and Advance wars for 3DS, I will be the happiest man ALIVE.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

want more games & release dates for the games already announced for the wii u and some release dates for games on my 3DS. I want to know when we're getting Kirby and Mario Golf damnit

audiobrainiac

audiobrainiac said:

Love to see more on X, and a SSB4 release window. And although highly unlikely, i'll hope until it happens but more on a new Wii U Zelda and/or Metroid title.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I have a long list of things I'd love to see but don't expect, though I'm sure there will be at least one big surprise. There just has to be, because they need some spark to get people excited again. NPD numbers come out again today, and I'm sure that's not going to make good news.

I'd be happy if they announced some localisations such as Dragon Quest VII for the West, Shin Megami Tensei IV for Europe etc. I'd be very happy if they announced GBA games for the 3DS VC, and I'd be over the moon if they announced a new Fire Emblem for Wii U or Advanced Wars 3DS.

I really don't care for new footage of stuff we know is coming. I've never been interested in seeing new trailers, and I expect a lot of that today. New footage of X, new footage from Bayonetta 2, and a ton from Donkey Kong and Mario Kart.

I actually think we might see another Gamecube era HD remake announced. They know the Wii U is in trouble, but most games are going to take years between the start of production and release, but knocking out a HD remake in 6 months is the type of short-fix they need to fill out the release schedule.

Maybe they'll even announce Metroid Wii U. We know it's being made. There's no way Reggie would have worn that pin at the VGX if it were not, because at this point he's just a PR guy, with every word from his mouth and every tweet planned to get us excited about a new product.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Focusing just on Nintendo:
1. Final details on Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze to whet the appetite for release
2. Release date for Kirby: Triple Deluxe
3. More details on Yoshi's New Island
4. More details and release date for Mario Kart 8
5. Release date and details for Mario Golf: World Tour
6. A Super Smash Bros. newcomer and release window
7. A couple of surprise new games for both Wii U and 3DS

MixMasterMudkip

MixMasterMudkip said:

I've heard X is confirmed to appear, which is exciting (if it's true.) Also, since it's a 40 minute direct. There should be a whole lot.

allav866

allav866 said:

Even if we don't see anything new, I'd like to see the return of something old--the N64--to come to the Wii U VC.

edhe

edhe said:

Personally, I'd like some information on that 3DS calciobit followup and, maybe, confirmation of a Western release of the new Daigasso Band Brothers game.

On the Wii U front, I think it's about time we saw some more of Bayonetta, Hyrule Warriors and particularly X - in fact, anything that isn't just a Mario universe related game.

zerotheclown

zerotheclown said:

very wishful thinking, but i'd love either a star fox or a metroid announcement. i know, i know... :/

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

I want release dates/window for Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, Kirby: Triple Deluxe, Mario Golf: World Tour and Smash Bros.

Also new footage and an official title for X would be nice. And the reappearance of Yarn Yoshi would be okay too.

I know they'll probably show a new Smash Bros character or two, hopefully one newcomer and a returning veteran.

Other than that, who knows... I'd personally like to see a surprise announcement of a 3DS Metroid sequel to Fusion. It's been too long since Other M, and Retro takes 3 years to make games, so we wont see Prime 4 until 2016 or 2017. Also would love to see what Monolith is cooking on 3DS.

Maybe some surprise 3rd party and indie announcements.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

Ok let's not get overhyped only to be disappointed. My low expectations are:
Star Fox 64 sequel
Eternal Darkness 2
Proper Pilotwings sequel
EA games back starting with sequels to Syndicate Wars, Theme Park, Magic Carpet and Populous
FZero HD Online
Waverace HD Online
1080' HD Online
Geist HD
Metroid Prime Trilogy HD with online coop and deathmatches
Xenoblade HD with online
Bayonetta 1 on eshop at end of broadcast
N64 games on VC with no upgrade cost for Wii versions
Rest of Wii VC available and/or Gamepad controller support for Wii mode
Free ice cream

AdanVC

AdanVC said:

I'm trying to stay as calm as I can... but that retweet from the Director of X's wife is just something to be truly excited about, considering she only retweets when games from his husband are going to be shown! That and a couple of producers at Platinum Games as well, meaning we also gonna see more of Bayonetta 2 and (hopefully) a damn release date. MK8, Smash stuff revealing a new character with an epic reveal trailer like when they revealed Rosalina, an unnanounced game (PLEASE NEW METROID SIDE-SCROLLING METROID FOR 3DS!!) Ahhhh and DKC: Tropical Freeze next week, aiming to be better than Rayman Legends and NSMBU together. And the Year of Yoshi confirmed. I'm starting to feel hope once again, after weeks of dissapointment and bad news with Wii U and sales and stuff. Nintendo needs to bring some big guns right now... Not Zelda U tough, that game is reserved to be their epic megaton for E3. But some appearence confirmation on today's ND would be nice, even a 5 second teaser.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Here's a full list of what I'm hoping to get from this Direct: SMB3 on 3DS.

Bet it will never happen though...

@Nintenjoe64 Good list, very realistic expectations. Much more realistic than mine for sure!

xj220_afiles

xj220_afiles said:

Where is Fire Emblem X Shin Megani ?
I really hope it'll be good. Crossing fingers for a new Fzero (with very low expectaction)

T7L3R

T7L3R said:

Something on this new ''Quality of Life'' thing being announced maybe? Not sure if a Direct would be the place to announce it but maybe a possibility?

Zach

Zach said:

How about an announcement that the entire Wii VC library is now available for Wii U VC? A man can dream...

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Nice to hear it is a longer than usual Direct. Usually they pack a lot of things in a 30 minute one, plus those retweets make it sound tempting too.

tsm7

tsm7 said:

Advance Wars please...even just a vc release would make me happy

T7L3R

T7L3R said:

Also DS VC games on Wii U? Maybe they are going to release one or two after the broadcast?

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

What I want: all the old VC systems re-added with new ones from Sega and Amiga.

What I expect: Super Mario Bros. 3

ghall

ghall said:

I'd love to see some more details and maybe release months (at least) for X and Bayonetta 2. Some news on N64 and/or GameCube on the virtual console would be nice.

As for some pie-in-the-sky dreams, a 2D Metroid for the 3DS, next Zelda coming this year (not likely because of Hyrule Warriors), and the announcement of a 3D Mario game like Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, etc.

BigH88

BigH88 said:

All I want is a new trailer and info of X and Bayo 2 with release dates. Show those two things and this will be the best ND yet.

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

I wouldn't rule out DS games on VC to download after the Direct, not that I'm remotely excited about that.

Superryanworld

Superryanworld said:

After yet another lackluster vc release with nothing on 3ds and a re-release of contra on wii u.I hope this direct will be impressive.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

What I expect -
Bayonetta 1, Luigi's Mansion, Eternal Darkness, Star Fox 64 HD, and XenoBlade HD will all be available in the eshop at the end of the Direct

Release dates for Bayonetta 2, Project "X" and Yarn Yoshi

Announcement of 2 new SSB characters

New projects for Next Level, Platinum and Monolithsoft

Also that Nintendo has bought Capcom and all it's IP's

Is that expecting too much?

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

@Peach64 I hope they start bringing out the HD versions of Gamecube games, though I'll bet the quickest they release them is once a year, if that. They've got to act like they put enough work into them so they can charge near-full price, don't they? ;D

Seriously though, my guess is that Super Mario Sunshine is next. The trigger problem is a bit of a big one (why digital triggers, Nintendo, WHY???) but I think they can work around it somehow.

ChessboardMan

ChessboardMan said:

And the Surprise Mention will be…

Lego Mario!

Joking aside, and wonder if that is actually that impossible. They did publish a Lego game (in some territories), and there was apparently talk of doing more with their IPs… Official Nintendo Lego, with a new Lego game based on it… there's no way such products would not make a fortune by themselves. And I can't think of any Nintendo Lego Like products currently, or recently, available, apart from a few Mario Kart sets? I'm not even sure how Lego like they were?
Still, I'd be stunned if I was right about this.
Though I can think of so many possibilities…

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

@Zach It's really sad when our "dreams" are what we expected from Nintendo at launch well over a year ago now. Nintendo really needs to get their act together. :/

ArcanaXVI

ArcanaXVI said:

I feel like everybody's forgotten about Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem ... not that I expect an update this time around, either, but it'd make my day. I'll take any information on Monolith Soft's X and Bayonetta 2 that I can get, though. (I'm already planning on getting Tropical Freeze and Mario Kart 8; news about them is cool, but my hype quota is already full.)

Evenmoresteven

Evenmoresteven said:

I want a game (besides Mario Kart) that I'm excited for. Even Smash hasn't gotten me that excited. It looks WAY too much like Brawl, and the constant "reveals" of already established characters is really anti-climactic. I'm hoping they can wow me like they did with SM3DW. I think the only game I really excited for in the next few months is Child of Light. I want more than anything to know that Nintendo isn't afraid to take chances again. If there's one main problem with the Wii U, it's that Nintendo has taken things way too safe.

Blackleg_sanji

Blackleg_sanji said:

They will discuss Metroid...
They will give firm release dates for X and Smash Brothers...
Myamoto will reveal his new IP...
They will discuss Zelda...
They will say they are sorry...
They will ask us to "Please Understand"...
5 statements are false...one is true. But which one?

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

@DerpSandwich
My guess would be Mario Sunshine too. I reckon the 6 month production schedule and million sales of WWHD will convince them to make plenty of remakes. I reckon they'll choose them based on ease of porting and how well they performed in the first place.

King47

King47 said:

I hope they do something about the Virtual Console.

@ArcanaXVI Fire Emblem is my favorite franchise and I'm not excited about it yt. It's a crossover with another Super niche franchise. They need to show more from the game than just a list of characters.

dougphisig

dougphisig said:

I'm surprised no one else has guessed, it wouldn't surprise me to see Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire 3DS remake announcement.

ChessboardMan

ChessboardMan said:

@Nintenjoe64 some interesting, and realistic ideas there, apart from the EA ones.
Nope, not happening. Have you not seen what they recently did to Dungeon Keeper? As three of those games are prime targets for going Free-To-Play on iOS… Can't see how they would do that with Magic Carpet though.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

I'm surprised nobody is predicting any of these:
Super Peach U
SM3DW DLC
Wind Waker DLC (think they already ruled it out)
Battalion Wars 3 (please!)

Porky

Porky said:

Perhaps a SMB 3 "Download now" move since we didn't get a 3ds vc today.

Lord

Lord said:

Just heard that a new shining ark will be coming soon! More in tonight's direct!

King47

King47 said:

@Nintenjoe64 They need to be careful wit a Sunshine remake. They can't have many remakes very quickly. Plus, it should be announced once 3DWorld stops selling.

3Daniel

3Daniel said:

I expect something that will be released btwn dk and mk on wii u or ill be furious. Im platformed out and if i had to slog thru another 2dday platformer i rather have kirby on 3ds then the new dk on wii u.

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

@Nintenjoe64 The great thing about it is that since the Gamecube didn't have a big install base there were a lot of really great games that went under the radar. The Wii U has a similar problem, but has the benefit of having a whole new generation of gamers that are more open to anything and are also starving for games. And if the Wii U takes off eventually then these games can get great second chances.

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

I REALLY wanna hear something bout a new Metroid or Conduit. GC virtual console would be nice. And certainly would like to know whats goin on with Yarn Yoshi. But most of these probably wont show up today :/

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

41 minutes is long, but I must keep expectations low.

So they will give us a Mario Golf 3DS release date, and show 40 minutes of footage.

There, now anything else that is said will be a pleasant surprise!

SakuraHaruka

SakuraHaruka said:

I don't expect nothing, because I prefer to watch the news without feeling that something is missing, No Hype!

ICHIkatakuri

ICHIkatakuri said:

I would love "X" to get some more details, I wouldn't mind being told I would have to wait a lot longer, as long as they showed some more to whet my whistle. As far as eshop goes, shinen have been saying they will be showing of fast racing neo soon for the last couple of months so if that's not in there I will eat my gamepad.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

@ChessboardMan I wish Nintendo would buy the Bullfrog IP from EA before they turn them all into shooters and F2P nightmares.

@King47 I hope we'll get Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine DLC for SM3DW. (in my dreams). It will probably be more like a Luigi or Yoshi DLC

Noonch

Noonch said:

Today Nintendo is expected to announce they are being sold to Disney like everything else you loved as a child and Boba Fett will be playable in Mario Kart 8. Also there will be cake.

DjLewe78

DjLewe78 said:

Nintendo WILL have there game face on for this, we all know with educated guesses that mario kart, and smash bros should show up to the party, for sure, bayonetta and x might show up it depends how drunk they get at the pre party, and on the guest list I would have new metroid and project car footage, but they might be to cool to show up, however the guy at the bar said to me, that to make this party go off, we need a DJ by the name of " SOME SORT OF FOOTBALL GAME" he would really make the croud smile, and before anybody says fifa 13, I can tell you he aint on the list anymore x

What ever happens lets just ride the rumour bus "yeeeèeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaa"

Zach777

Zach777 said:

I literally expect Iwata to flap his arms 'Directly' at us thirty five times, apologize twenty eight times, and ask for patience twenty two times, all in forty two minutes. Then he will conclude with a ten second slideshow of DKCTF and MK8 photos. Then bow. Credits.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

I'm not expecting anything exciting. Sakurai tweeted something about Smash so I'm expecting a character that was in Brawl to be "revealed" to still be in Smash Wii U. Or maybe, gasp, another 2D Mario game.

Also, new Nintendo health products as Nintendo apparently thinks that's a more logical move than less DRM and appealing to the hardcore gamer market.

readyletsgo

readyletsgo said:

Off the top of my head....

Most or all of the Wii's VC now on the WiiU eshop with a 25% discount on ALL VC games until Friday night in Europe. Then more VC games to come including gba and DS in the summer.

Announcement of more GameCube remakes.

Loads of details re mk8 and ssb, release date etc.

A new redesign of the 3dsxl, slimmer with a sharper screen and better battery life but that's more of an e3 announcement.

Yarn yoshi
X
Something new like eternal darkness

Exclusive resident evil game like a remake of ReRemake1, 2 and 3.

None of that is going to happen as it will all be about donkey Kong sigh

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

@Zach777 don't aim so darn high, you'll get us all hyped and it will only lead to disappointment. Take MK8 out of the slideshow and you're spot on :)

GamerGleek47

GamerGleek47 said:

I just NEED a release date for Bayonetta 2!! I bought a Wii U for that and Nintendo exclusives :D
A Mario Kart 8 date is long overdue and I still don't fully understand how Mario Kart TV will work. Some footage of Yarn Yoshi and a title would be excellent too!
I also need release dates for Kirby and PL Vs. PW. SO. MUCH. WANT.
Idon't expect a release window for Smash, but I do expect some 3DS footage and a newcomer would be nice :)

TantXL

TantXL said:

I hope they give us a SSB4 release date or at least more information about the game, that's the only thing i really care about right now.

Zach777

Zach777 said:

@Kawaii_Neko

7am Japan time
2pm Pacific time
3pm Mountain time
4pm Central time
5pm Eastern time
6pm-9pm Atlantic Ocean
10pm-12am Europe
1am-6am Everywhere East of Europe, West of Japan
8am Oy oy oy!!!!! Diggerydoo
9am-12pm Time Line Pacific Ocean Hawaii 5-0 sucka.

Or you could read NLife's articles.....

TantXL

TantXL said:

i guess i wasn't fast enough to answer your question before somebody else did.

Splatom

Splatom said:

I know this is way off, but what if they announced a new 3DS model? Or new colours for the original. Ah well, we'll never see an Orange 3DS in the UK. :P

SuperCharlie78

SuperCharlie78 said:

I believe a Bayonetta port between DK and MK8 would be a smart move with a lot of sense, maybe too much for present Nintendo

BassLostie

BassLostie said:

Lots of fans are asking for HD remakes, so I'm hoping for at least one.

On Nintendo Direct from January 2013, Iwata announced the VC for NES and SNES, so I'm thinking he'll announce more VC from other platforms this time.
What we really need, though, is more Wii U games!

DjLewe78

DjLewe78 said:

@Lord
oh yeah, what a knob I got my hopes up and started looking if it started earlier in another country.
Still 3 hours and 44 mins to wait then.

jjmesa16

jjmesa16 said:

I'm not getting my hopes too high because I know I will be disappointed. I expect to see a lot of Donkey Kong, Yoshi and maybe Kirby. I would be surprised to see a huge amount of info on Mario Kart as it doesn't come out until May (probably June based on Nintendo's track record). I'm not sure we'll see any new character for Super Smash Bros., but we might see an old one. I would like to see some more info on upcoming Wii U VC as that area has been lacking in the past couple months. Overall I'm not expecting too much from Nintendo these days.

@readyletsgo A new 3DSXL might be shown off this year but I don't think it will be at E3 since Nintendo didn't even show up last year. They didn't even announce the release date or price for the Wii U at E3.

CamWFC91

CamWFC91 said:

People need to get over this 'Miyamoto's new IP' thing.

He has already come out and said that he was misquoted. It was actually a Pikmin short film series that he wanted to work on...

DjLewe78

DjLewe78 said:

Here's a thought and not mentioned yet, some HARD facts about watchdogs would be nice!

NbaJunkie

NbaJunkie said:

Im expecting Luigis mansion remastered on U..What other surprises could it be for the year of Luigi?..I Hate that they will most likely charge full price for it..Everything else will just be gravy

Superryanworld

Superryanworld said:

@Macarony64 That would be awesome.Id like to think sega considered the option,but with the slow pace of releases&ignoring fan feedback issues vc has had since it's debut I won't hold my breath.

Wodkalime14

Wodkalime14 said:

I hope for new info about yarn yoshi, and a nice surprise will be luigis mansion for wiiu! And off course everything that is new information about wiiu and upcomming games is welcome!!! Wiiu needs en deserves some extra attention!

FX102A

FX102A said:

I'll just reiterate my predictions, hopes and dreams:

1) More footage, info and a name for Monolithsoft's X

2) More new game unveilings for Wii U

3) A tease that new Metroid and Starfox games are in the works but info still to come

4) Announcement of a new exclusivity deal with Platinum Games and that Bayonneta 2 will be followed by Vanquish 2

5) Deal with Sega to release the Valkyria Chronicles Trilogy on Wii U with updated graphics and Gamepad strategic controls

6) An all new tactical / strategic 3rd person shooter for Wii U that allows two teams to operate. Variety of vehicles or two commanders to use the Gamepad to perform realtime tactical and strategic decisions and actions (along with an in depth single player campaign).

rjejr

rjejr said:

@ChessboardMan - Lego Mario works for me. Telltale has to be running out of properties. The only problem is all the toys are made by K'nex.

My actual predction for the next Lego game is Dreamworks Dragons. It has a new movie out in June and another in 2016 and a tv show. Lego Mario has a really nice ring to it though. The could use the Lego City engine on the Mushrom Kingdom adn make an open world Paper Mario type game.

Here's my list from yesterday - alI I ask for is dates, it's a solid list if we can just get some more info and dates, I don't need new game Wii U Music 2.

Feb: DKCTF
Mar: Bayonetta 2
May: MK8
Summer: Yarn Yoshi
Autumn: SSB
Holiday: X

I don't expect Zelda until holiday 2015 - those games take forever.

41 minutes is long enough for a little bit of everything for everybody. I just hope he doesn't have to apologize for any more delays.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

I'd say the wait for Smash Bros. (and, by extension, for mere news related to that game) is killing me, but that'd be putting it mildly. Very mildly.
The wait for Brawl killed me, what with Sonic, Snake, the Wii, the Pokémon Trainer and stuff.
The wait for a portable SSB, on the other hand? It killed me, it resurrected me, it sucked out my internal organs, killed me again and had fun with my corpse.
By the way, the internet connection here in Heaven is, how can I say, um, Godlike.

emiingham

emiingham said:

The 2 things I get my hopes up for every time is a Majora's Mask remake and Digimon Re:Digitize at least coming to the US if not the UK :)

Incarnadine

Incarnadine said:

Prediction: "Due to extreme server issues, we regret to announce that Flipnote Studio 3D has been cancelled. Please understand."-Iwata. If that does happen, (Which I doubt) I will be angrier than can be comprehended.

ogo79

ogo79 said:

taking earthbound off wii u...a man can dream, or keep emailing nintendo to do so.

RetroJosh

RetroJosh said:

I'd like to see more gameplay of some matches in SSB4. Only footage on YT is Mega Man vs Mario. I'd like to see some of the characters abilities shown off.
Unlikely, but I'd like to hear Nintendo talk a bit about Sonic Boom.

Byron-3D

Byron-3D said:

Hope they pull out all the stops for the wii u, I'm really starting to think it was a poor decision to get one and think I'd have been better of picking up a ps3. I doubt Nintendo gave any surprises though it feels like their losing their touch

Vriess

Vriess said:

@Klimbatize
"Whomp 'Em HD for the Wii U eShop. Listen to your fans, Nintendo."

Did I miss something? I've never seen a massive fan outcry for that game...

VolcanoFlames

VolcanoFlames said:

Ugh... I thought this was going to air early. Just went to the internet and was disappointed not to see any news of the sort. Hmph.

ArcanaXVI

ArcanaXVI said:

@King47 Acknowledged--a list of characters says next to nothing, and Shin Megami Tensei is nothing if not a niche franchise. That said, many of us familiar with the core mechanics of Shin Megami Tensei (especially demon fusion, weakness-exploitation systems, and the law-chaos scale) see how well they would blend with Fire Emblem's battle, relationship, and permadeath systems. It's by no means a surefire great game--it'll be a challenge to do both series justice while keeping the game balanced--but it holds great potential, and I for one am dying to hear more.

Klunk23

Klunk23 said:

SMT x Fire Emblem would be really nice. I'm doubtful there will be footage, but it would be fantastic if there was.

Yellowgerbil

Yellowgerbil said:

The Sonic Lost World Zelda DLC, I also hope it is a 3D stage; the Yoshi's stage was cool but slightly boring...

dawnpatch

dawnpatch said:

Mother 3 should just be randomly announced to come state side :D that would be my "wow" moment. But i just really want a window for smash DX images can't hold me lol

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

I already know what games I'm buying regardless of the Nintendo Direct:

Yoshi's New Island - 3DS
Cut The Rope - 3DS
Disney Magical World - 3DS
Kirby: Triple Deluxe - 3DS
Tomodachi Collection - 3DS

&

Kuma Tomo - 3DS (Western Release Date Announced during Nintendo Direct Please for end of Spring!! :D )

I want to hear the end of spring announcement's for the Wii U & 3DS mainly. :D

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

TDS_Computer

TDS_Computer said:

How about a team up with Notch - a Wii U Minecraft bundle! That would sell like hotcakes. Even thougg I am not sure how quickly hotcakes really sell.
With millions of copies of Minecraft sold on the other two consoles, I can imagine a boxed bundle would do quite nice.

mudmask

mudmask said:

Will Iwata have facetime on the west coast? I'm under the impression that he won't? I like hearing from him. I also like it when he does this:
Untitled

TantXL

TantXL said:

More information about Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright, SSB4 and Disneys magical world would be nice.

dumedum

dumedum said:

Nintendo Directs is yet one of these things only Nintendo does or have, like Miiverse, which makes it the coolest videogame company.

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

As long as we get a quick blast of the dulcet tones of Shibata, I'll be happy....

agent321

agent321 said:

Shin en will show the first FAST footage and spring release date, possibly with F-Zero tie in...

They will reveal FTP Steel Diver on Wii U.

Big reveal? Smash Bros Wii U/3DS cross play! Possible Cross Buy promo.

T7L3R

T7L3R said:

Luigi's Mansion HD remake? I mean they did extend the year of Luigi...

JohninMotion

JohninMotion said:

They will "officially" tell us the release dates for all the indie titles they have coming for the Wii U and 3DS. They will give us "official" release dates for the AAA titles coming for the Wii U and 3DS. Nothing new.

If they want to surprise me they will focus mainly on the Wii U and start getting that train in gear instead of tacking it on with 3DS news/games/updates. They will also give us a surprise game such as new IP or a game that hasn't been done before such as Starfox but in a new way that actually takes advantage of the Wii U. Perhaps a Metroid since DK Country is coming to release. How about a nice, long RPG for Wii U. That would be aces. Man would I love that.

I just want to be surprised and happy to own a Wii U.

Unit_DTH

Unit_DTH said:

My expectations: the heart rate monitor for the Wii U gamepad… LOL
Maybe something good that isn't all about Mario!! Info on Miyamoto's new IP?
Honestly who knows. Nintendo has been kicking us all in the balls and it's gonna take some type of miracle for them to fix this mess, I'm hopeful, but reserved in that hope. Heck, I was hopeful for the Retro Studios announcement at E3 2013 and look how that turned out… Bwa wah wahhhh.
Anything not DK or Mario is fine with me.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

@dumedum
They still need to pimp their office out with these Show floor props.

Untitled
Untitled

Nintendo HQ as is looks bland and dull, you'd think they'd get creative and splash the place with color and nintendo themed worlds, props ect ect. They ARE the disney of videogames after all.

But yeah, these directs are great....It makes nintendo feel like an actual game company, continuously putting more effort into what they do and getting more personal and in touch with the fans.

faint

faint said:

@cornishlee ninty stated it broke a mill about three weeks ago including digital. Given the quick turnaround and short development time I'd say you can bet on it. I'm expecting luigis mansion hd at some point in the next six months

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Let's be honest: they NEED to make this one count. I won't get my hopes up, but with a 40-minute lenght, there's definitely a chance they will try.

TantXL

TantXL said:

I'm just wondering, where can i watch this? is it at the eshop or where is it?

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

@TantXL - Usually they stream it right here on NintendoLife (or in pretty much any Nintendo site, including Nintendo.com)

SideScreamer

SideScreamer said:

I just want to hear them announce Nintendo 64 and GBA games are available as I'm watching the Direct.

Ootfan98

Ootfan98 said:

Dreamcast, Saturn, Mega CD, Sega's Arcade back catalogue, Amiga, Gamecube VC, and downloadable Wii games that can be played from Wii U menu.
Also, please can we have unified eshop accounts between 3DS and Wii U (VC Games)

InsertTokenz

InsertTokenz said:

What do I expect from the Nintendo Direct? Nothing.

I'll just let Nintendo show whatever it is they want to show, and if there is something of interest, then I'll get excited. If not, then it's no big deal. They have all of 2014 to surprise me with stuff. :)

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

• Major expansion of the VC: Shared Library (depending on system), new systems
  • At least an official title for "X".
  • Bayonetta 2 date

Other than these wishes, im up for surprises like NES Remix ;)
And after all this debating, analysing of issues and failures etc, i hope that they took it to heart and dont disappoint with this issue.
Lets all hope for a fresh breeze of second wind.

DakotaM47

DakotaM47 said:

Hopefully, Dragon Quest/Denpa Men 3 will be in. DQ is more likely. Super Mario Bros. 3 will be here soon, and most likely a new console on both of the VC.

Superryanworld

Superryanworld said:

@WaveBoy After reading nintendo lifes download polls from the last several months id say Nintendo needs to improve on the whole "being in touch with its fans".Just my thoughts, and if people keep asking for Mario bros 3 and it still has not arrived maybe they hear us but they are not listening imo.

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

@faint
Thanks. I don't know if I'm surprised by those figures or not; it's certainly a hefty percentage of the install base.

smikey

smikey said:

Well if I could just pick something random and crazy i'd ask for lego Nintendo (like lego city set in a nintendo world) imagine lego mario running around breaking poor lego koopas or riding lego yoshi maybe even peaches castle as a super build. and possibly traveling to other worlds like hyrule to play as lego link.
With a great script could be a super exclusive game.
But back in reality would like extended vc consoles especially game cube & n64 to be released by April. (& more than one game a week)

Been wanting mario golf for ages but would love it on Wii u even more.
Release date (or at least release window) for yarn yoshi.
Any new wii u game announcements but hardly expect zelda, f-zero, star fox or metroid before e-3 & then it will likely just be zelda & metroid.

& hopefully they'll confirm the yoshi 3dsxl for uk release because the wife to be loves yoshi & really wants it!

still not long now & we'll all see (and the many will all complain)

rbmoura85

rbmoura85 said:

Can we get a little art concept tease for the next zelda, please?

And also, the reveal of a little more third party support then we know about now.

Superryanworld

Superryanworld said:

@smikey666 If I only owned a wii u I know I would be very unhappy with its current situation..Glad i have a 3ds,360,and ps3 so plenty of good stuff to keep me happy until wiiu gets more software.

JeffreyG

JeffreyG said:

Can anyone please tell Nintendo to stop using Ustream? This is seriously the worst playback I've ever seen...

Evenmoresteven

Evenmoresteven said:

Given the Wii U's situation, I actually think it's kind of crazy of them to not show at least 1 new Wii U game coming. I don't understand the big N sometimes. They can't be that naive when it comes to their audience.

Frapp

Frapp said:

Pleasantly agreeable Direct. Good to see the indie games. Bayonetta 2 continues to look totally awesome.
Was very fearful that Retro might be allowed near Metroid again, but thankfully those worries were allayed for another month. Still no Chibi for Europe :(

Frapp

Frapp said:

Bully for you. You've had your three 1st person games. A return to the series superior 2D roots is WELL overdue.

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

@Evenmoresteven agreed it was another mediocre (and that's being generous) nintendo direct. I want to be wowed and nintendo are not doing that with there Wii U announcements. I mean come one they should have announced a proper Zelda game, a metroid game, ,and a star fox game
These will shift systems, they really only have there fanbase to keep them alive.
Seriously nintendo start widening up the Wii U is failing (as much as it pains me to say it) fix it I don't think you will survive a second year in the console market with these bad figures.

fortius54

fortius54 said:

I don't know what to say about he Direct. Everything they showed looked amazing, but outside of "X", it really wasn't anything we haven't seen before. NES Mix 2 seems like a money grab to me. This was heavy on the 3DS.

I just don't think Nintendo delivered on this one. To be a 40 minute show, I don't think they hit what they were aiming at. Of course, this is just two weeks after the numbers, and it may have been more of a showcase for theshareholders than the consumers. The only bad thing is we have to most likely wait until E3.

They had better knock everyone's socks off at E3 this year. I guess there could be an outside possibility of the licensing announcements at the upcoming Toy Fair. I don't know I would say color me disappointed on this Direct.

michaelshellman

michaelshellman said:

i thought sonic boom was going to be talked about and the next dlc for sonic lost world involving the zelda stage. also i was hopping to here more about hyrule warriors. it would have all tied together but i guess it was time to reveal what the 3ds had to offer,i actually want to get the yoshi game now that i saw more. im confident ill enjoy that game :)

Platypus101

Platypus101 said:

@andrea987 LOVED Endless Ocean! THAT needs an HD release... I know I'm always spouting about NEW games. For the Wii U, but I feel that there are so many possibilities to show off the Wii U and it's graphical power with this series. :)

Platypus101

Platypus101 said:

@TDS_Computer sorry, hot cakes don't do too well these days... Just ask IHOP (International house of Pancakes! They just got all 50 states, how they're international is beyond me) they have closed down quite a few in the past two decades or so... But really? Minecraft? That game is free or cheap, isn't it? Why buy a console when you can borrow your parents iPhone?