Poll: Did You Pick Up Pokémon X, Pokémon Y or Both?

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

The ultimate choice...

Based on confirmed sales, social networks, the most active threads on our forums and general chit-chat, it seems that lots of 3DS owners are playing Pokémon X & Y. Of course, we write Pokémon X & Y in a way that perhaps doesn't make clear that they're separate releases, and with any new 'mon generation there's always the question — which version should you buy?

Many of you have now made that decision, and early results from the UK charts suggest that X has triumphed to date over Y, though we may see yet how the power is balanced in Japan and North America in the coming days and weeks. Certainly, X seems to be the most prominent of the two right now.

Of course, it's possible that you have both, in which case you've certainly done your part towards more than four million copies being sold in just two days, an impressive launch by any standards.

But it's time for the face-off for you Pokémon fans here on Nintendo Life; which version / versions do you have? Pitch in with your votes in the poll below.

Which version(s) of Pokémon X & Y have you picked up? (665 votes)

Pokémon X

32%

Pokémon Y

32%

Are you mad? I've got both of course!

13%

I haven't got either yet

13%

I won't be buying either of them at all, actually

10%

Please login to vote in this poll.

cbkummer

cbkummer said:

Not interested in Pokemon. I hope those of you who are enjoy them, though!

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Neither, yet, but I expect to get X. My next 3DS game is Fire Emblem, and since Zelda is out next month, I'll probably be getting that before Pokémon, too.

Icarus423

Icarus423 said:

I need to get myself a 3ds or 2ds first, but will surely be picking it up. Most likely Y when I can.

Smitherenez

Smitherenez said:

Not interested. There are many other games on the horizon that are far more interesting to me.

Arcamenel

Arcamenel said:

I picked up Y. My best friend has X so no reason to buy it. Whenever Z comes out I'll play that as my game I restart over and over.

Blast

Blast said:

I got PK X! NOW... GIVE US MIIVERSE FOR THIS GAME!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I didn't get either yet but will pick up X closer to Christmas. I was surprised how many people at a streetpass event on Saturday had bought both.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

Pokémon X. I'll most likely end up picking up Y by the end of the year though, lol

MagicBox

MagicBox said:

I was tempted to get X because I like the color blue, but I decided on Y for two reasons. 1.) Everyone else seems to be getting X, so I'll have an easier time of being able to trade with it. 2.) I always get the "second version" (Blue, Silver, Leaf Green, Soul Silver, etc.) of these games, so I should keep up tradition.

My girlfriend'll get X so we can have both anyway. :)

MegaBlaziken

MegaBlaziken said:

I picked up Y. I LOVE mewtwo Y and Yveltal (and I don't care of mega charizard because I have bulbasaur lol).
O.T: where the f* do you find furfrou? I spent more than half an hour on route 5 and didn't find him

Kit

Kit said:

I don't get the point of getting both editions - it's the same game!!!
(With a few version specifics).

Aquilalex

Aquilalex said:

Like we say in my neighborhood: "Pokemon ya no es chido para rukanroles"--"Pokemon is not more cool for old geezers"--But the youngsters enjoy them!

DefHalan

DefHalan said:

Got X but will be getting Y later. The poll should have had digital and physical version separate too

LeVideoGamer

LeVideoGamer said:

Nothing yet, but I'm getting X eventually. After watching Pokémon Origins, I NEED Mega Charizard X.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I still dont know but I lean towards X.

And I am so tempted to upgrade my 3DS to the Pokémon XL either today or tomorrow!

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

Pokemon X since blue is my favorite color, I purchased a Xerneas blue 3DSXL weeks ago, and it's features the life pokemon which is kind of an inside joke on my end.

I will buy Pokemon Y for my gf as a early christmas present later this month. Her version, also part of the joke.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

I was 19 when Pokémon first hit the scene back in the late 90's. Had no interest then and still have no interest in the series.

Guovssohas

Guovssohas said:

I'm not into Pokemon games personally. But for those who are i hope you really enjoy it :)

tudsworth

tudsworth said:

@Kit For some, it's for collection purposes, others just can't be bothered with the whole "interaction with other people" part of the game and others still use one cartridge as their "main" version, and the other as a cartridge for Nuzlockes and similar challenge runs.

I'm not quite sure which camp I fall in, though I doubt I'm going to start playing Y version any time soon.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

I played and beat Pokemon Red when it first came out all those years ago, and that was enough Pokemon for me. I did buy Black and White but I only made it to the second gym before I got bored of them and traded them in.

You play one Pokemon game you have played them all. The only really difference is the creatures themselves.

SamSan37

SamSan37 said:

Both here.My first time buying two pokemon games at the same time. This is my third entry in the series. I just love buying games for my 3ds. I also have Etrian Odyssey Millenium Girl and Rune Factory 4 that came out this month. Woo games!!!

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

Pokemon X, cooler legendary and nicer cover IMO.

Love the game. I usually settle for one, but I might actually pick up Z (or whatever it'll be called) once it releases.

GloryQuestor

GloryQuestor said:

I've been playing since the very beginning (Pokemon Blue being my first) and have been buying at least one game of every generation since. I really got into Pokemon for what it is: a fun experience of raising your own creatures and training them to be ready for anything. Once in a while, you don't mind familiar, retro experiences (especially when you are a fan of Dragon Quest), but the reason I got Pokemon Y was because we finally get a truly upgraded and modern mainline Pokemon. It took this long to finally get this, and I didn't want to miss out. :)

Uberchu

Uberchu said:

Both. Gotta get both pkmn games or no deal ya know.

Been doing this since D/P (when I became a hardcore fan, I started with crystal but got stuck and never played till sometime after I got emerald for the GBA at some point... got stuck but ended up finding out what I did wrong...)

Shworange

Shworange said:

I bought the X version of the game for my son on Saturday. He beat it yesterday...

thesilverbrick

thesilverbrick said:

While I technically bought both, I'm actually playing Y and my wife is playing X. Made sense, genetically speaking, anyway.

mystman12

mystman12 said:

I bought X. Since this is my first Pokémon game, the only thing that I based my decision on was the looks of the mega evolutions. I'm really enjoying the game so far, and I'm glad I got it when I did. I was this close to not getting it on launch day.

Windy

Windy said:

I got X but was steaming mad about 3 hours into the game when I found that 90% of the game was 2D. After cooling off and playing a bit more last night. I found that I do like the game alot and can deal with the no 3D. I can't help but feel Nintendo pulled a fast one on 3DS owners and we now know why the 2DS was brought out. They can say anything they want but they wont convince me otherwise. Still I'm loving the game it's alot of fun

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

I got my X friday.
I'm taking my sweet time, I've played som'thing like 13 hours and I just left Luminose City for Route 5, LOL!

FarukoSH

FarukoSH said:

Y, mostly because i dont want a Legendary Deer... a Deer doesnt give you a look and say "ill destroy you", oh and that Mega-Mewtwo ? yes, you cant compete with that one

But im pretty sure ill get X someday

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

Y, two reasons:
1) Who can resist that glowing, red Bird / Dragon monster thingy that looks suspiciously like a rathalos on the cover :D
2) I liked the Mega-Charizard Y a lot more...and still went with Squirtle :P

But to be honest, it was once more just a choice of "cover legendary" for me, since i liked Yveltal a bit more.

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

Y for me!
The last reveals before launch almost made me change side, but at the end I prefer a bit more the exclusives of Y (at least for as much as official Nintendo spoilers leaked ^_^; ).

The funny thing is... I knew on this site X would have win and I was expecting this to be a trend everywhere, but instead where I live it seems that Y won all the way XD

mystman12

mystman12 said:

You know, when I first heard the game wouldn't be in 3D, I was pretty shocked, but I'm surprised at how little it actually affected me. I mean, I pretty much play every game in 3D 95% of the time, but I really don't mind this game not having it.

Shadowkiller97

Shadowkiller97 said:

@mystman12 I'm still a bit disappointed. It is strange how they decided what is and what is not 3D. I mean the caves are still 3D but the rest of the overworld is not. And even with the slider cranked up, the effect is pretty subtle... I suspect this is to reduce the noticeablity of it constantly switching.

The game is great... but I would have liked to see some of the environments and towns in 3D. Hope they change this with future games.

AutumnShantel

AutumnShantel said:

Y, because blue is my least favorite color and red is up there. Plus, I like the letter better, too. I used to get both versions at release, but I'm happy with just one now because it's so easy to get a hold of the exclusives these days. I usually get the upgraded version that comes out later, though.

KTT

KTT said:

Pokemon Y. It's like every exlusive pokemon is better. Except Mega Charizard Y - X just looks better. I'm hoping for the "third" version.

Specters

Specters said:

Got X for me and Y for my girlfriend because Toys R Us had a buy one get another %40 off. Too good to pass up.

Knux

Knux said:

I haven't bought either version yet due to lack of money, but I plan to buy at least Y and hopefully also X.

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

Well, the perks of having a gamer girlfriend, you get to have both!
I'm enjoying my Mega Charizard X in my Pokémon Y.

PrincessSugoi

PrincessSugoi said:

X because of Swirlix and Blue. <3 Plus it's a pretty cool letter... though Z is the coolest letter of all. ;)

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

I promised my brother I'd buy him X version, so we got the physical copy on launch day for him(he prefers the cart).

I downloaded Y version off the eShop.

DilMan33

DilMan33 said:

Pokemon Y, and it's my first ever Pokemon game. Never played the series, despite owning Nintendo systems since the NES!

readypembroke

readypembroke said:

I got both JUST for the poster at Gamestop! I am keeping X and selling Y to a classmate (Pokemon fan). He says he will buy a 2DS for the game.

Doma

Doma said:

I'm too busy with other games but i bought Y mainly because my friend was buying a 3ds for it.

Haven't been playing that long but i've already got my first shiny (Skiddo) and that pokerus condition. Luck or way more common now?

Doma

Doma said:

Y is more popular, most of the stores i went to on launch day only had X left on the shelves.

Coldfirex44

Coldfirex44 said:

I have X as it seems more sensible knowing the legendary is the new fairy type. And of course, I also got Aoruma (i think that's what it's called) a.k.a the sail fossil because it seems fir for the game ^^ I already have the X exclusive pokemon Swirlix and I expect everyone who has X also have him/her. AND PLUS CHARIZARD X=EPICNESS

nilcam

nilcam said:

I bought Y and my wife bought X. I gave the poster to a kid who wasn't getting one.

Coldfirex44

Coldfirex44 said:

@Doma Not exactly, As when I went to buy X (knowing that it'll be hard to restock because of the government shutdown) there was only 1 copy of Pokemon X left and I took it. I wonder if they got to restock O.O

mookysam

mookysam said:

I got Y. I have a weird tradition where I get the second game in the pair (Blue, Silver etc).

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I'm waiting to get X for Christmas. I like Xerneas and the mega evolutions for Mewtwo and Charizard look better in X to me.

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

Got X at exactly 12:01 on launch night/saturday morning. Hooray for midnight releases at GameStop. Got a sweet Froakie hat too :) Cannot wait for the pokebank to launch, since I've been saving a Shinx egg for a while to transfer into X... I love Shinx, so it will be awesome to raise one from an egg in X! :D

Suicune

Suicune said:

i got X thinking id be in the minority, thus giving me trade leverage, but nooo

FX29

FX29 said:

Got X simply because it's blue, and the Mega Charizard made the decision even easier.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

I might be more interested in Pokemon if the main series games were released as single games, so neither for me. I'm too indecisive to only get one, and I don't really like the idea of swapping cartridges to play different versions of the same game. I guess I just like to get the whole experience of a game in one package.

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

Team Y all the way! I'm surprised, the games are actually even. That can't be right, can it? It's 31%-32% and I'm pretty sure that my vote boosted Y. I thought that everyone would get X.

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

"Are you mad, I got both!" Damn straight I did!:) @Everyone FYI: For those of you in NA, Toys"R"Us is running an amazing deal right now on all video games(yes, including Pokemon X&Y!). Buy 1 game get, 1 game 40% off until the end of this Saturday. If you're on the fence, now's the time to splurge!

Sqirm64

Sqirm64 said:

I got Y, my brother got X and I like Yvetal(sorry if I mispronounced that) more than Xerneas.

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

X, because Xerneas is the most stylish legendary since Suicune, and I really like it. Oh and it has hooves, I'm really into hooves right now. ;)

You made it sound as if X was winning, but both versions are very even as I write this; good.

The_MARVEL_Mod

The_MARVEL_Mod said:

I got Y because of Charizard, Mewtwo and Yveltal. Didn't have enough money for X at the midnight launch though. I will get it someday though, along with Z.

TySoN_F

TySoN_F said:

Pokemon Y, all of my buddies got X. But I picked Y because of Yvetal and I don't care much for Mega Mustache Charizard. Woulda got both if I didn't have other games I want to pick up in the same month ;D

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

Ultimately went with X, via eShop.
Current team: Greninja, (Mega) Charizard, Pikachu, Roselia, (Mega) Lucario, Mr. Mime.

3Daniel

3Daniel said:

Gamebreaking bug reported with saving in lumiose city. Anyone heard? I downloaded and it didnt effect me on X.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

As they're not being sold here yet, no I haven't gotten either one of them. It is absolute torture seeing this game plastered all over my friends list. :(

Pachterkid

Pachterkid said:

Hope everybody is avoiding the game breaking bug. Just saw it reported on another site. Apparently saving in Lumiose City is the cause of the bug, which corrupts the game save data. Not sure if this bug just affects the physical copy or digital version as well.

Frig Nintendo. I'm not a Pokémon fan, but this is sad news. So many people are out there enjoying this game right now.

HeroOfCybertron

HeroOfCybertron said:

I picked up Pokemon X (my first main series Pokemon game since Blue on the GB) today at Best Buy, I'll start playing tomorrow.

PokeMaster827

PokeMaster827 said:

I bought Pokemon X, mainly because Xerneas is a Fairy type. I already have a lot of the legendaries, so it would be best for me to start catching the new Fairy type Pokemon.

Jahir

Jahir said:

Everyone should be playing Pokémon. Seriously, it's amazing. I haven't had so much fun since Pokémon Silver.

Monsti

Monsti said:

I got X because....whatever. I don't really care for the exclusives so I just took that one because the deer looked nice.

Kit

Kit said:

@tudsworth I think I may have thought of a reason to 'own' both copies... X-ite and Y-ite stones are version specific and are rather cool!

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

i swear if the 3ds had miiverse the community for it would be crazy and filled with screenshots of interesting stuff :o

but i got Y and it definitely feels different playing =S

therick112

therick112 said:

@19Robb92 Why is everyone so convinced we will get a Z? Everyone assumed we would get a Gray after B-W, and they completely changed it up by making direct sequels instead of a third companion game.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

@therick112
It's the most logical line of thought, obviously. They've done a minor continuation of the two main games for each generation except B/W which got full sequels.

Looking back, the chance of us getting Pokemon Z rather than Pkomen X/Y 2 is a lot higher.

Not to mention that a X-, Y- and Z-axis is what you use graphically to show 3D. And it's confirmed that the X & Y naming is based on the X- & Y-axis.

Mr_3DS

Mr_3DS said:

I got Y mostly because the cover is red, lol. Another reason is that my friend got X.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Holy poopsiedoodledoggiepoopledoopoo! It's like a near-perfect third of votes towards owning Pokemon Y, another third to Pokemon X & the remaining third to people who don't, won't or have both games. Wowzers! :O
Watch the profanity please — TBD