Nintendo Direct: Nintendo Shows Off The Peculiarities of Tomodachi Life and Confirms Release Date

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

It looks bonkers and amazing

We've known for a little while that 3DS title Tomodachi Life was being localised, but Nintendo of Europe and Nintendo of America have now released special mini Nintendo Direct broadcasts to not only provide full confirmation, but also to show off the wacky world of this Mii life-sim.

To get the important detail out of the way, this title arrives in both North America and Europe on 6th June, a surprisingly close date and a continuation of Nintendo's recent trend of release date parity between the regions. Already a successful franchise in Japan, Nintendo no doubt hopes that its quirky style and ability to involve the player on a daily basis will translate well in the West.

Below is an excerpt from Nintendo's press release indicating some of what we can expect.

“Tomodachi” is the Japanese word for “friend.” After completely customising all your Mii characters (or simply scanning them into the game via QR Code), you’ll recognise them instantly – from their unique vocal traits and appearances right down to their personality quirks. But you can’t possibly predict what they’ll do next. For the first time ever, Mii characters behave based on the personality traits you select, playing out the drama you set in motion. A pop star might fall in love with your lookalike. Your mum might jump on stage to belt out heavy metal songs. Or you could become famous striking poses down the runway of a fashion show wearing cute and silly outfits. Best of all, you can document these unbelievable moments for posterity and share them all with your friends via the Nintendo 3DS Image Share service.

The plot of Tomodachi Life thickens with the addition of each character. As they deliver one gripping twist and turn after another, you can reward them with gifts and clothes, their favourite foods or special flourishes for their apartments. Together you can further broaden your Tomodachi Life horizons by expanding a wide variety of facilities on the island, solving characters’ problems and helping them with their needs.

You simply must watch the related Nintendo Direct videos to get a sense of what this game is all about. They're a treat, with slight variations depending on the region.

Nintendo of America

Nintendo of Europe

Are you excited about the release of Tomodachi Life in North America and Europe?

AkinaChan

AkinaChan said:

YESSS!!!!!!!!! It'll be interesting to see the cultural differences from the original, but I love this game sooo much and I'm soooo happy it's getting a NA release!!!! I laughed a little too much when they where chanting "all hail the Virtual Boy!" in the trailer :p between this, Mario Golf, Mario Kart, and Smash Bros 3DS, I'll be set for the entire summer <3 ありがとうございます、ニンテンド!!

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Yikes, June 6th?! That's just around the corner to me! I've been interested in this game before, but this looks totally fun. A very likely purchase!

ueI

ueI said:

It's going to be hard to find the time to play this and Disney Magical World, assuming I get them both.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Anyone think Reggie saying 'Tomadachi' over and over in the interview was a reference to him asking too much for a localisation?

HeroOfCybertron

HeroOfCybertron said:

This will be my third life sim for my 3DS I already have Animal Crossing: New Leaf and am picking up Disney's Magical World tomorrow and will pick up Tomodachi Life in June, they're just so much fun.

bahooney

bahooney said:

WHAT?! I had no idea it would be localized so quickly! I just got goosebumps all over my body. Nintendo's taking a huge leap of faith by bringing this title over, I'm so appreciative that they are! Having played the original, we're all in for a spectacular treat.

Webby-sama

Webby-sama said:

This game looks awful and amazing at the same time.
I need to play it. 6 June cannot come fast enough.

Wesbert

Wesbert said:

After watching the trailer I feel a terrible urge to head directly to MiiMaker and recreate the entire Monty Python cast to populate the game with...

Jampie

Jampie said:

Omg. LOL. Definitely will be getting this. I'm so surprised and happy that it's coming so soon!

Emblem

Emblem said:

Not my type of game but i like the mini direct, they should do more of them for future releases.

Barely_Able

Barely_Able said:

If Nintendo decided to be this quirky and self deprecating in more directs or advertisements, I think they could endear the hearts of many gamers. I would have no interest in this had it not been so bizarre. I mean this had Reggie saying my body is ready...

mystman12

mystman12 said:

Well... Now there's no way I'm not buying this. That was probably the most amazing thing I've ever seen!

steamhare

steamhare said:

Pretty awesome.

I like the UK voices more. Too bad I'm stuck with American accents.

siavm

siavm said:

I did not know what to think of this game in the past bug that general made me want this game. Now I want to put people who would not be in funny scenarios into some. Nintendo is killing it with these one game directs.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I only saw the NA Direct, but I loved it. I am not too familiar with NoE's cast.

Webby-sama

Webby-sama said:

@GamerOZO

I did it, and then it just felt like something I would do at a friend or a friend would do at me just to get a reaction. Actually I can see me doing it at a random stranger. I like reactions.

ollietaro

ollietaro said:

What do people think about those voices?

Also, I'm curious as to what streetpass functionality it has (other than importing Miis from the plaza).

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

Oh. My. God.

It's like... The Sims if it was populated by Miis, but with a completely anarchic sense of humor.

And they talk!

This just went from "I'll wait for reviews" to "Must buy on Day 1." Good job, Nintendo.

On another note, I wonder if this is going to become a trend: Nintendo Directs for single games.

dandantheman100

dandantheman100 said:

That was frigging hilarious! Looks like a great game. Could be a big hit. More people need to see this video!

XFsWorld

XFsWorld said:

This looks more funner than Animal Crossing New Leaf, and it's funny! Lol im getting this!

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

"unique experience..."??? There's nothing unique about this game. This is basically Tamagochi meets the Sims.

(At the 8:00 mark of the Direct) He reminds me of GLaDOS, LOL. ;-)

edhe

edhe said:

This game just keeps looking more and more interesting. I'm going to preorder it at the next possible opportunity.

Meuz

Meuz said:

I really love these wacky Japanese life sims that Nintendo make. Will there be online play or just that StreetPass feature that they mentioned? Without it, I don't see it pulling me away from Animal Crossing for too long. We shall see.

dkxcalibur

dkxcalibur said:

I went from almost falling asleep during the Smash direct to laughing while watching the Tomodachi direct. This is why I didn't like the "all Smash" direct. I would rather see multiple projects then just one. I don't usually play similar games (Sims, Animal Crossing) but I found the direct hilarious. If the actual game is similar, I may have to invest my money in this game.

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

Tomodachi Life really wasn't on my gaming radar at all before it was announced for a NA release, but it rises higher and higher on my wishlist every time I see just how silly and surreal it is.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I have zero interest in playing this game, but I will watch every video they make, that was so freakin hilarious, every bit was funny. Well up until Treehouse guy came on at 3:30 then I stopped.

This should be a regular series like Dinosaur Office.

Question - are these voices actually in the game or is that just the trailer? I'm sill surprised whenever 3DS gets a voice acted game - Kid Icarus was hilarious, I wonder if some of the same joke writers helped on this - and it seems like Wii U gets Pikmin and Zelda fake language noise gibberish.

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

ALL HAIL THE VIRTUAL BOY! WE MUST RENAME IS WEBSITE VIRTUAL BOY 4 LIFE NOW, FOR THE GLORY OF THE VIRTUAL BOY!!!

User1988

User1988 said:

I actually burst out laughing at the end of the NA video when Reggie's head came out of the water. I... Must get this game. And it comes out 2 days before my birthday :D

Rei7

Rei7 said:

I love Animal Crossing and I know i'm gonna love this one too!

yokokazuo

yokokazuo said:

That was the strangest video I've seen in awhile, now I am actually interested in this!

Barely_Able

Barely_Able said:

@rjejr Watch the entire video. It goes over how to set the tone of the digital voices. Plus the most hilarious parts are at the end of the video.

navonod18

navonod18 said:

Definitely getting this, but I'm just wondering:
How much "control" do we actually have over the game? Are we just sorta watching our miis interactions with other miis? Or... either way looks interesting

navonod18

navonod18 said:

@Ralizah Idk I hope they do a mix though. Like do a direct for multiple games then have the following directs address each specific game announced.

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

Looks pretty good, like a clean family friendly version of the sims, which interests me. I might get it.
I wonder how much trouble I'll be able to create. :) That idea espcially gets my interest.

AlbertoC

AlbertoC said:

Pretty nice game. I might get it as well, as some people before me have pointed, this is a Nintendo version of the Sims, for the most part.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

AHAHAHAHAHA! Give them a prize, this is GOLD!

But why does Samus look like Michael Jackson with a blonde wig? And just how freakin ready IS REGGIE'S BODY???

I really didn't think too highly of this game, but now I'm getting this BY FAR over SSB3D!

vamkar

vamkar said:

I thought Smash direct was going to be the best thing I've seen this week...

I was wrong.

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

This Direct was hilarious!

Definitely going to get this game when it comes out in NA. It looks fun and funny!

luke88

luke88 said:

(Laughs) That opening segment was the best trailer for a game I've ever seen.

Arcamenel

Arcamenel said:

I'm actually kind of interested in this game. Now this is how you promote a game!

jpfan1989

jpfan1989 said:

What did I just watch? I dont even... I feel like my IQ dropped from this direct. Wait a sec, Is this that Japanese game there was an article about awhile back that had the gay marrage glitch?

JCnator

JCnator said:

As someone who already played the Japanese version of it, I can tell the North American Nintendo Direct did nailed its lively spirit quite well! Though, I'm still surprised they'd also throw a retail version considering the amount of content. Can't see myself getting it for more than 30$ CAD.

kereke12

kereke12 said:

I can not wait, I'm actually excited for this!! :D :D :D I'm more excited for this then Smash bros., but the question is will it have Online mode?

Heiki

Heiki said:

I definitely want this. Looks like the 3DS is having a busy year again, while his older brother is suffering another drought.
I hope Nintendo has great surprises for E3.

Epicnessofme99

Epicnessofme99 said:

I have to admit, after seeing that Nintendo Direct my decision on buying this game completely changed, can't wait to play it.

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

Oh my God this is actually happening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This looks fantastically bizarre and nuts, I must have it! Glad to see Nintendo took the risk to bring this game over and to keep part of the name at that! Tomodachi Life indeed.....June 6th can't come soon enough!!!!!

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

So basically you just create the characters and then sit back and watch? Strange concept for a game, even the sims gave you some sense of control and something to do other than just watch things happen. Seems interesting, but not $39.99 interesting.

Austroid

Austroid said:

That Direct was pure gold! I couldn't stop laughing the whole time! This game just looks like all sorts of crazy, random fun! I could see myself messing around for hours.

I might try and figure out how to get both this and the 3DS Smash Bros. now...

Kafei2006

Kafei2006 said:

Mmmh I find the british accent speech synthesis to sounds better personally. Anyone else thinks the same?

BlueStar101

BlueStar101 said:

Am I the only one worried about this game shipping me with my family? Also, I noticed that having kids was removed. So that helps, but not enough.

lunarkitty

lunarkitty said:

I am so confused but I must have it.

Do you choose what the Miis do, or is it essentially like watching TV ?

Senario

Senario said:

I was skeptical, but I watched the video because it is a guilty pleasure of mine to play the Sims....

...Shut up and take my money. I have not laughed this hard in a while (and not a mocking laugh, just pure endless joy). Were you able to have kids in the Jpn version D:? I want that feature too T_T.

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

"I was like a regular coffee but you made my life creamy."

Day 1 material right there. I'm disappointed to see that this line wasn't included in the U.S. version. I think that it's safe to assume that the European version will have more funnies than the U.S., then?

Nintendo Australia is yet to announce Tomodachi Life though. Should we be worried?

Monsti

Monsti said:

I've been a Nintendo Fan for 23 years now....THIS is the weirdest thing I've ever seen them do. I can't believe this exists. 0o

HappyHappyist

HappyHappyist said:

seems similar to Animal Crossing, but more silly and wacky! i couldn't get into AC, so hopefully this will fill the void. if the actual game is like that, i need to start making more miis on my 3DS!

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Unca_Lz - His Max Headroom counterpart at least has a pulse - reminded me of Celebrity Deathmatch. The real guy probably cried when Wonderbread declared bankruptcy. I'm sure he's a nice enough guy, but I require John Stewart cynicism in my talking heads.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Wh- this is a thing?! Since when?! And what manner of sorcery is this?! The Miis can talk?! Whaaaaaat

Ash_Anne

Ash_Anne said:

I wasn't interested in this game until I watched this direct. This game looks crazy funny.

Action51

Action51 said:

I'm really surprised at the positive reaction. The entire time I watched this video I thought of how awkward and incoherent the presentation was.

Granted, this is not my style of game, and I'm not a bit fan of life sims or Animal Crossing, but this direct bordered on creepy and it didn't tell me much about how you actually go about doing things. What is the actual hour to hour game play like?

5ony

5ony said:

@sillygostly I noticed more differences between the US and UK versions, too (like Mii Reggie saying Iwata was cold blooded like a dinosaur in the US, but not the UK version). I can't tell if they're actual regional differences or perhaps just a consequence of dialogue being randomized.
@Kafei2006 Yeah, the British accents sound a lot better. The US voices are pretty much uncanny valley. Which isn't to say this game doesn't seem really great, because it does!

mullen

mullen said:

I created the following pictures to list all the differences between different versions (NA, EU, JP) that I noticed.
I saw some comments above talking about some differences, but you know, everything in this game is random or customizable, and 10 min can't cover everything, so I don't really consider all of them as different. What in my list are those significantly different from JP version.

Windy

Windy said:

I am getting this. looks like.....I choose life. This game looks like its full of laughs.

Buob

Buob said:

@ollietaro In the Japanese game, a child will become a traveler when they get old enough and will streetpass to other games. Since no one in my area has a Japanese 3DS (or if they do, they don't own this game), I have been unable to confirm what happens after they travel. Of course, I'm hearing reports that NOA/NOE has removed the feature to have kids, but I'd take that as a grain of salt as that's part of the fun.

@navonod18 , @lunarkitty You watch the Miis, feed them, give them rooms and outfits, but they essentially have to make the first move and say something like, "Hey, I wanna be friends with this mii, what do you think?"

@Senario Yes, you can have kids (unless they took it out).

ICHIkatakuri

ICHIkatakuri said:

What is miyamoto mii dressed as Link doing behind that booth chair!? He just says wait then shuffles around in his pants like everyone at Nintendo needs to see that before they can start dating!!!!

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

Now this is (one of many reasons) why i love Nintendo. All hail the Virtual Boy!

Buob

Buob said:

@DestinyMan It's a random event that only lasts one battle; it's not a full fledged RPG game. (I think it's a dream sequence, but I could be remembering it wrong; I've only had it happen once.)

@3MonthBeef Actually, it's very little like The Sim. I hated The Sims, but I really enjoy this game (though it's probably because there's less to micromanage).

Snobunni426

Snobunni426 said:

opens wallet nintendo dammit take all my money! Kirby, tomodachi, persona q, harvest moon. . . what else can you throw at me to open my wallet up!

allav866

allav866 said:

Single-handedly the best Direct yet, but every time Bill says "Mr. Iwata," I keep hearing "Mystery Water."

Chibi-Hobo

Chibi-Hobo said:

Well, this game seems bonkers. I also like how a company which is in the business of fun, is able advertise to me by making sure that its own marketing attempts are themselves fun.

The weirdness of this company never ceases to amaze me. Like how if any other company had a failure on par with the Virtual Boy, it would only be referenced in the future behind closed doors as "Well, let's not do THAT again."

Not Nintendo, though. That thing seems pops up when you least expect it. It's like an ongoing testament to learning from one's mistakes, in order to do even better in the future. "All hail the Virtual Boy!", indeed. Or at least, all give it props. Like it the form of advertising an upcoming game that looks pretty sweet.

Shambo

Shambo said:

...WHOOOAAAAT? Game of All Ages, with the most ready Reggie body ever, love square intrigues from unexpected angles, musical charms, RPG elements, stuff-throwing fights, Animal Crossing,... All in one game! I laughed so much, I NEED this game now, despite having had no interest in it before watching this.