Feature: Bandai Namco Characters We'd Love to See in Super Smash Bros. on Wii U and 3DS

Posted by Marc Zablotny

Transcending Nintendo history and the Smash Bros. world

The development of Super Smash Bros. Brawl apparently took its toll on series creator Masahiro Sakurai, though you'd have never of guessed from his perpetually fresh-faced appearance and calm demeanour. Since Brawl's release, Kirby's creator has been rather outspoken on the stressful amount of work and time a game as vast and intricately detailed as Super Smash Bros. demands. After hearing about long hours, debates reaching the "brink of death" concerning the roster and bouts of RSI, it is both astounding and admirable that Sakurai-san remains as enthusiastic about the series as he does.

With each new Smash Bros., fan expectations increase sevenfold. There's no doubt that Sakurai-san is once again under an enormous amount of pressure to deliver, but thankfully the burden of creating the next title (well, technically the next two titles) — Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U — does not lie solely with him and his team. In a pleasantly unexpected turn, Nintendo enlisted the help of Bandai Namco to aid in development and, hopefully, provide a fresh perspective on a tried and tested formula.

Since the development partnership was made known, Smash Bros. fans the world over have been wondering if a face from the Bandai Namco vaults will be joining Mario, Sonic and Mega Man on the battlefield. Sakurai-san has made it clear that the chances of such a thing occurring are rather slim, but reassuringly did not outright deny it. As a result we've picked out a number of Bandai Namco characters we'd love to see in the next Super Smash Bros. and mused on just how likely it is that they'll have a shot at rubbing shoulders (or connecting fists) with Nintendo's finest.

Loathed by garish ghosts but loved by the living, Bandai Namco's mascot is the most obvious candidate for the coveted spot on the Smash Bros. roster. Would there be anything more satisfying than seeing Mario, Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man together on the Battlefield stage? The iconic representatives of four video game company powerhouses, officially united for the first time in history for the sole purpose of beating each other to a pulp. It's so darn poetic it hurts.

But what merit does Pac-Man have as a fighter? Even in his updated appearance which grants him limbs and an unnerving facial expression, he doesn't have much at his disposal to make him interesting to play as. Such a predicament was faced by the developers of Street Fighter x Tekken a couple of years ago. Their solution? The only logical answer — A Mokujin Mech.

Pac-Man didn't fight directly, rather, he strapped himself up to a bulky mech which resembled veteran Tekken fighter Mokujin. Frankly, the idea was genius and hilarious to behold, but can we realistically expect it to be replicated in the new Super Smash Bros.? We're not so sure. Though Nintendo has proved in the past that it can be extremely creative with movesets, without a reappearance of something akin to the Mokujin Mech, we just can't see Pac-Man shaping up to be an effective combatant.

Tired of pesky subterranean dragons ruining your Pogonias? Fed up with goggle-wearing monsters inexplicably blessed with the power of intangibility creating sinkholes in your garden? Fear not, for Dig Dug is on the case. Armed with his trusty spear...pump...thing and enlisting the help of those aforementioned classic monsters (King Dedede style), Dig Dug could be a force to be reckoned with on the battlefield.

Perhaps he could even tag-team with his son, Mr Driller (pictured above?) After all, Smash Bros. is no stranger to double trouble. The Ice Climbers, Pop and Nana, have been causing a ruckus together since Melee and Super Mario Galaxy's Rosalina will have a trusty Luma by her side during battle in the new game. It would be interesting to see father and son together in battle, combining features of the gameplay of the Dig Dug and Mr Driller games to create a truly unique and bizarre moveset. Though, are the duo relevant enough to gain favour over Pac-Man?

Introduced in the lesser-known SoulCalibur: Broken Destiny for PSP and only appearing as DLC in SoulCalibur V, Dampierre is by no means an iconic Soul series character, but he's is genuinely one of the most creative and entertaining fighters to grace the series. His amusing battle cries and wacky fighting style would be more than at home in a Super Smash Bros. game, and we'd love the chance to see that absolutely magnificent moustache back in action.

After Link appeared as a guest character in the Nintendo Gamecube version of SoulCalibur II, the chance of a potential Namco representative being from the Soul series is probably more likely than you think. As much as we'd love it to be Dampierre, it's safe to say a more famous face will have a better chance at making the cut.

Customisation is apparently going to play a role in the new Super Smash Bros. Though Sakurai-san has been rather tight-lipped on the specific details so far, we do know that it may have something to do with character's moves. Forgive us for letting our imaginations run a little wild, but what if this means we will see the introduction of customisable movesets? When it comes to something like that, there's only one Bandai Namco character that comes to mind...

Enter Combot — specifically Tekken Tag Tournament 2's version of the character. Instead of being a Mokujin-style "mimic character" as it was before, in TTT2 players were able to purchase and teach Combot a combination of different character's moves. Combot was essentially a D.I.Y fighter and you could mould him to compliment your own fighting style.

It goes without saying that there's huge potential for this to work well in the next Super Smash Bros. You could build your own Combot with Captain Falcon's Falcon Kick, Little Mac's brutal jabs and heck, even Mario's fireballs if you wanted. If customisable movesets is indeed featured in the next Smash Bros., then a lack of Combot would be a wasted opportunity.

Sporting a flamboyant outfit and a not so subtle...bulge...the King of All Cosmos is easily one of Bandai Namco's more 'out there' characters. What else do you expect from a series about rolling a sticky ball around, collecting up living and non-living things, in order to rebuild the universe?

The King's potential as a fighter is a little marred from his gigantic size, but we're certain Nintendo could use a bit of artistic license and downsize him for a brawl if it really wanted. His moves? Well we're sure we'd see some Katamaris or black hole-creating tennis serves in there somewhere. He's a great choice for a Bandai Namco rep but the Katamari series' lack of presence on Nintendo consoles means everyone's favourite cosmic King would be very low on the priority list.

Klonoa and his spirit pal, Huepow, made their début in the fantastic *Klonoa: Door to Phantomile *on the original Playstation. His ability to float by flapping his floppy ears and use "Wind Bullets" to attack and inflate enemies set him up to be a potentially versatile combatant.

In a surprise move, Door to Phantomile was remade for the Nintendo Wii. It saw a fairly low key release in western waters, but had its fair share of controversy when Bandai Namco attempted to drastically redesign the title character to appear more modern and 'edgy'. Fortunately, fan reaction was so negative that the character's original design was only subtly altered.

Klonoa's strong presence on Nintendo platforms (there's a number of GBA spin-offs out there too), coupled with the fact he and Huepow would fit in beautifully on the Smash Bros. roster — both in terms of gameplay and aesthetics — make him a very strong candidate.

The sword-wielding protagonist of Tales of Symphonia often takes a high spot on fan's lists of 3rd party characters that should appear in Super Smash Bros. It's not hard to see why; Lloyd Irving exudes coolness and would be a worthy adversary to the likes of Link and Marth. It's not just the fans who are hopeful for his appearance either; in an interview with Tales series fansite Kingdom of Tales, Tales of Symphonia director and producer Yoshito Higuchi expressed his desire to see the character in Smash Bros. If it worked for Hideo Kojima, could it work for him? Like Klonoa, Lloyd has a strong presence on Nintendo consoles, also appearing as a playable character in the Wii-only SoulCalibur Legends, and he also has a lot of potential in terms of his moveset.

That's our list of Bandai Namco characters we'd like to see in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U. Do you agree with these choices? Which characters would you like to see? Let us know in the poll and comments below.

Which of these Bandai Namco characters which you most love to see in Super Smash Bros.? (505 votes)

Pac-Man

28%

Dig Dug and Mr Driller

Dampierre

Combot

The King of All Cosmos

Klonoa and Huepow

13%

Lloyd Irving

26%

Ooh, I can't decide

None of them!

16%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Related Games

dadajo

dadajo said:

Though I would love to see one of the other ones, Pacman is most likely and makes the most sense.

TimLatshawAdmin

TimLatshaw said:

My opinion is mine alone and does not represent the co-writers or company of Nintendo Life, but Klonoa totally needs all the love you guys.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

Pac-man in the hopes that he would grab a power pellet, watch all the other combatants turn blue and then devour them......

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

If they're going to use a non-Nintendo character, my belief is that said character has to have at least been in a good, non-ported game on a Nintendo console. Pac-Man and Lloyd fit that list, but characters like Dampierre don't, and therefore don't belong in Smash Bros anymore than Master Chief or Sackboy would.

I dont want any of those characters to be honest. Sonic and Mega Man are enough 3rd party, and at least those characters have meaningful history in gaming and on Nintendo consoles. Only Pac-Man does as a Namco character, so if they have to include a Namco character, it should be Pac-Man.

But there are so many better Nintendo characters (and other 3rd party characters to be honest) that i'd much rather see in the game than Pac-Man.

Rezalack

Rezalack said:

I chose none of them. There are other much more deserving characters that have been more prevalent on Nintendo consoles over the years. Just not too recently, unfortunately.

...If I was forced to choose, I'd choose Klonoa. Simply because he's had the best game out of all the ones mentioned. I haven't had a chance to play Tales of Symphonia though. Lloyd might be cool, too.

zeldazero

zeldazero said:

Personally I think if anything they should think about removing people from the roster. There are plenty of characters already that get little use. The first Smash is still my favorite...But I still want Mega Man :)

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

I know PacMan is the obvious choice if this will happen, but I would be so so happy to have Klonoa in smash ^o^

He is so unknown as character and still his games are such awesome platformers, smash is definitly the kind of advertise he need!

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

I understand main characters but to have random characters like Combot, but it would be awesome to have a character that plays as a different character each time.

MAN1AC

MAN1AC said:

Lloyd would be pretty cool. I won't be losing an sleep if the rest of them don't end up in the game though.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Nope. BamCo left Nintendo as a platform after messing up royally while blaming them for their own mistakes. I'd rather see them stay away until they made international WiiU releases of Tales of Graces/Symphonia, screw them otherwise.

Yosher

Yosher said:

Pac-Man, most definitely. Just for his iconic status. Mario, Sonic, Megaman and Pac-Man all in the same game? Count me in!

Klonoa is a close runner-up. I'd count Lloyd too, but since the Tales of Symphonia remake is skipping NIntendo systems, Lloyd can go take a hike for all I care.

mystman12

mystman12 said:

NO! NO PAC-MAN! He wouldn't even be able to fight without some sort of mech or whatever, which would just be stupid.

Shworange

Shworange said:

Pac man's ultimate smash has to be him turning into a giant retro pac man, mightily chomping everything in his way. Anything else would be highly disappointing.

Alucard83

Alucard83 said:

How about from Dragon Ball Z games? They are also from Bandai right? So voila better choice for Goku. A big seller than any other above characters. If Nintendo is smart...

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Pac-Man seems the only one to be likely in the games. Tough to say what Sakurai will do, lol

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

I'm a Pac-Man supporter but my hopes went down when Sakurai said that third party characters will be kept to a minimum and he said that Namco developing the game doesn't mean there will be a Namco rep. I think this game's two third party characters are Sonic and Mega Man.

nomeacuerdo

nomeacuerdo said:

Pacman would fit really nice, giving him a moveset similar to Kirby. Even the final smash could turn everybody in blue ghosts!

But being realistic, Pacman would be an assist throphy, at most.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Pac-Man, if nothing else but to see him, Mario, Sonic, and Mega Man fight it out. Admit it; wouldn't that be awesome? Pac-Man could even have a final smash that would involve him turning into a giant retro version of himself and chomp every opponent in sight.

ueI

ueI said:

I am tempted to vote Klonoa even though I have never even played that game.

Captain_Balko

Captain_Balko said:

Ugh, I don't want to see any of them. Let's stick with Nintendo characters and only the most relevant 3rd Party characters, thanks. I didn't agree with Snake's inclusion in Brawl, and I hope he stays out of Smash 4. These Namco characters are even more irrelevant than Snake. Ugh.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@Kaze_Memaryu lets start with Sophie in smash bros. and then port symphonia hd and graces f to wiiU.

It annoyed me so much they they screwed wii owners with graces. I bought a used ps3 just for that game.

allav866

allav866 said:

I say Lloyd Irving. Pac-Man doesn't seem to do well unless he's a pixeled yellow circle with a mouth that goes through a maze, and even with that, he has little potential for a moveset. Tales of Symphonia wasn't just an iconic entry to the Tales series, but to the Nintendo GameCube's library of games as well. Not only that, but he's got plenty of attacks to cherry-pick into a moveset. If Lloyd is a playable character, though, Nintendo has to do everything in their power to cast Scott Menville as his voice. I couldn't stand Lloyd's voice in Dawn of the New World.
Klonoa earns the runner-up spot as my second choice, and I've never played a Klonoa game.

SakuraHaruka

SakuraHaruka said:

Super Smash Bros is primarily with "famous" video game characters who won their place, even for many of us do not like the idea, and we must remember that Smash bros is primarily a game of Nintendo; That Third parties have joined is a well received bonus, but not abuse that bonus with elements than just spoil the original idea of the game, Sakurai mentioned, we all want to see many of our favorite characters, but you have to take into account that there is a limit and it is not easy, but we must respect the main idea, the characters are all star game (although we do not like)

allav866

allav866 said:

@Alucard83

Sigh... Let me explain something for you.
Bandai Namco does indeed make games based on DragonBall Z, but did not make DBZ itself. DBZ is created by Toei Animation, which is in no way helping with development of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/Nintendo 3DS. As a result, Goku can not be considered a viable entry into the character roster. This goes for all characters from any cartoon/anime that has had video game adaptions produced by Bandai Namco.
If you really want Goku in a Smash game, play Super Smash Flash 2. it's fan-made and incomplete, but it's pretty darn good nonetheless.

ChessboardMan

ChessboardMan said:

Gundam rx-78-2 please…

What do you mean, you're concentrating on the Namco side, not the Bandai side?

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

Pac-Man or Lloyd are pretty plausible contestants here honestly. And both would fit in very well.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

I'd be okay with any of these characters except Pac-Man, not that I'd prefer any of them (I'd be okay with Lloyd).

And I'm wearing a Pac-Man shirt in real life right now, with the retro one.

I don't know why you would choose the Game and Watch of Namco when they have a plentiful and diverse array of well developed and well designed RPG characters to choose from. Or some of the more interesting fighters in Tekken, or Soul Calibur.

GalacticMario28

GalacticMario28 said:

I do think it would be cool to see Pac-Man duke it out with Mario, Sonic, and Megaman, but I can't say I'm a big enough fan of Pac-Man to be excited about his potential inclusion in the game.
I'd love to see Klonoa and Hewpoe, as I feel they could do with some more recognition in the West, but I can't really see how they could fight. Klonoa's only ability, to my knowledge anyway, is to fire wind bullets. But I've only played the first game in the series, so maybe he gets more abilities in the other games.

Nintendo6400

Nintendo6400 said:

honestly pacman is the only other viable third-party character I can consider joining the smash crew. Although I don't really think I want Pacman in the game.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

Only The King of All Cosmos and even then I don't really want him in the game.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Pac-man is the only one, really. He is the first video game character to break into mainstream recognition (Space Invaders and Pong don't have characters). I just don't see how he'd fit and fight, but maybe something clever could be constructed for him. I've also never liked the less-abstract designs over the years so I wouldn't know how to handle it. I'd welcome him though.

I voted for dig dug though. lol.

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

While I would love Lloyd to make it into the game, realistically its gonna be Pac-Man. The combat system in the Tales games is somewhat similar to Smash, so he'll make a good fit in Smash if given the chance. But with Tales of Symphonia HD Collection being PS3 exclusive, that lowers his chances a lot.

CharleSketch

CharleSketch said:

It really baffles me how adamant people are about wanting Pac-man in Smash Bros. That said, of all the suggestions I've heard, him showing up in the Mokujin mech would be the best. It looks funny enough and kinda includes a Tekken character too. Anything other than that would be pretty boring, honestly. When comparing to Mr. Game & Watch, another simple character from a similar time period, at least he had more variety in its games that allowed them to give him an interesting moveset, without taking away from him as an icon. Who knows what Pac-man does in his games other than eating pellets? Just how many people have played Pac-man games other than the original and the Championship edition? (Which is the same, just flashier). The Mokujin mech would allow him to have a unique moveset that wouldn't take away from either him or Mokujin himself, and would feature both of them in Smash.

SecondServing

SecondServing said:

Namco characters are grimey! I want Bayonetta, Wonder Red, and Shulk! Ugh! I wouldn't mind Pac-Man though!

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

I voted for Taizo Hori, Dig Dug's name in other games the character is in. Though, I would rather have another Capcom character, like Zero, or X, who should handle like the difference between Link/Young Link/Toon Link. Or perhaps, another Capcom character relevant to Nintendo, such as Phoenix Wright, or Arthur. More unique, or niche Nintendo characters would be just as well. Edit: Maybe Chun-Li fighting Peach?! :P

noctowl

noctowl said:

@SecondServing i don't have anything against people who do want those characters...but they just make me facepalm like when people want sora or goku.

SecondServing

SecondServing said:

@noctowl I personally believe a Namco character doesn't belong in a Smash game. Sega and Capcom were all right for me, but I think Namco is pushing it.

MrMario02

MrMario02 said:

I say, Pac-Man fits best because:
1.Everyone recognizes him
2.Nintendo is currently picking characters that everyone wants (well mostly)
3.Just like sonic and snake, he has appeared in a fighting game

KarateKid1234

KarateKid1234 said:

Pac-Man is overrated. I do see him getting in, but same goes for Klonoa and Dig Dug. Those two have been on Nintendo Consoles, except Klonoa once.

KarateKid1234

KarateKid1234 said:

@allav866 Then you've took the food. The one who requests PPG is Wesley. He's a common troll. Like, who would only post about only wanting a character and not antything else? Hmm...Croi. Yes, all Croi does is ask Sakurai for Goemon. Ok, I've gotten carried to World 8, haven't I? Let's say usually people with Stupid Request are Trolls, but there is some peeps (mmmm peeps) that are for real.

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

I'd be cool with PacMan or maybe Dig Dug. I don't even know the other guys and I've played games for over 20 years now. Please no DBZ characters...

Williaint

Williaint said:

I'm not a fan of the 'limbed' Pac-Man, and would rather see him as a floating orb, than with limbs or in some sort of mech.

PrincessEevee9

PrincessEevee9 said:

Why am I not surprised Pac-man's on the list but you forgot characters that are a stupid choice? Lloyd Irving is the only acceptable person on this list because you conveniently didn't bother looking at more suitable player characters from the Tales Of franchise. Where the blazes is Cless Albane or Mint Adenade from Phantasia or if really want someone from Symphonia Shena Fujibayashi? This looks like no effort at all was put into this.

Rafie

Rafie said:

Pac Man would make the most sense since he's no stranger to Nintendo games. Mario Kart GP, etc

R_Champ

R_Champ said:

Eh, I'd only like Pac Man if it were classic Pac Man, which I think would be hard to pull off. And Lloyd Irving is as overrated as Kingdom Hearts. Plus, you're probably not going to see a Tales game on a Nintendo system ever again so, like Snake, Tales characters are probably out of the question. Characters like Lloyd, Sora, and Geno can go make sweet fanfiction love in Smash Bros. limbo (Deviant Art).

VolcanoFlamesNL

VolcanoFlamesNL said:

Hmm. I'm not so sure, but I'd love Smash Bros. to be.... Ninty-only. Anyway though. Pacman, Klonoa, Lloyd, Dampierre and Combot look good.

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

Honestly, I find it kind of disappointing that nobody talked about digimon.....Imagine how baddonkey that would be having Agumon vs Pikachu. Am I the only digimon fan that survived throughout the 90s?!
Please watch the profanity — TBD

VolcanoFlamesNL

VolcanoFlamesNL said:

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

Reiko Nagase from Ridge Racer would be fun! Richard Miller (the one man army) from Time Crisis!

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

I'm all for Lloyd... Although Emil would make more sense since Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World was on Wii... Either would rock!

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

Simon Belmont from Castlevania and Crono from Square Enix are the only third party characters left that I want.

But for Namco? Klonoa, no question. His bouncing abilities would be far more original than yet another sword-user or a character like Pac-Man which would have to be cobbled from the ground up to even make sense.

Squid

Squid said:

Naw, King Of All Cosmos wouldn't be the same if he was downsized... I don't really care for Pac-Man but if Sakurai wanted to make him work I think he could. I think if any BN character appeared, Lloyd is more likely. Then again, in Project X Zone, Namco used Yuri Lowell instead of Lloyd, so who knows...

Honestly though, I can't see Sakurai putting another 3rd-party in; I think he'll cap it at Mega Man and Sonic only. If anything there could be a Namco cameo somewhere, but I doubt it.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

The only real character on that list that I'd like to see appear in Super Smash Bros. is Pac-Man. Well, either him or Yuri from Tales of Vesperia, but that would never happen since it's a Xbox 360 game.

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

Guys, we're completely forgetting the embodiment of Namco itself: generic tank from Tank! Tank! Tank! Clearly that's the best choice for Smash!

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Either Pac-Man or Lloyd would be great for Super Smash Bros. 4. Both had a strong history appearance on Nintendo consoles.

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

Smash is not PlayStation Allstars. Nintendo does not have such a weak portfolio of characters it needs to dilute it's roster with stolen babies. Smash is a celebration of Nintendo and Nintendo IPs. And with the way Namco continually treats Nintendo (read poorly) it certainly doesn't deserve to be included. It's bad enough that Sonic and Snake were added.

Remisio

Remisio said:

Lloyd for me. Am I the only one who utterly despises PAC-MAN's new designs? Sigh... Honestly I liked him better as a cheese pizza with a missing slice. Sure he's iconic but his new design really weirdos me out. Just imagine that thing staring at you over your shoulder and you turn around and... Ugh shudder most of the third party characters I'd like are unlikely because their developers have skipped out on Nintendo lately. No one wants Rayman but I would honestly prefer him over PAC-Man, Simon Belmont is iconic just like mega man, but with how the reboot lords of shadows has been going I'm meh on him, seeing an HD version of his classic model would be better but why advertise a game that isn't on wiiu anymore other than VC? And same for Lloyd sadly, minus the VC part. (Come on Nintendo, GCVC do it, renew your rights on eternal darkness by releasing it on VC, Gheist I liked and all those hidden GC gems)

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

Pac-Man makes the most sense. Even then I don't think he has that good of a chance. It'd still be cool though!

EarthboundBenjy

EarthboundBenjy said:

Lloyd Irving!
Though Yuri Lowell is cooler in my opinion, Lloyd is realistically the only Tales character that could make it.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

I think Pacman would be a devastatingly dull playable character but It would be amazing if they based a stage around the original arcade game or featured a Pacman based section as either a Single player minigame (break the targets style affair) or as part of the adventure mode.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

@FilmerNgameR: Amen to that, brother!

Personally, I wouldn't mind Pac-Man, but not the new "Pac is Back" Pac-Man. That's not Pac-Man. I'd settle more for the Pac-Man World design instead.

rdxgeno

rdxgeno said:

There are many interesting choices here, though I'd be ok with whichever character Sakurai decides to include (or not include) simply because he knows how to make them work. In the past I would've been skeptical about inclusions of characters like Wii fit trainer, Villager or even Rosalina (another Mario rep) yet he made them look interesting and fun. I really can't wait to see if any Namco character makes it in but if it were my guess I think it's going to be Pac-Man. It would be a missed opportunity if it weren't him being the iconic character that he is, besides I trust Sakurai could somehow make him more appealing as a fighter. He just needs to think outside of the box.

BlackStar9000

BlackStar9000 said:

Man, fans these days, I vote 100% for Klonoa and Pacman, never played tales but Lloyd looks cool, for everyone who doesnt want these characters STFU! Please understand (bows) these additional characters would only add to the fun of this game, I trust that Nintendo or Sakurai wouldnt leave out any of the key mainstay characters for a random 3rd party one. Also, go play the Klonoa Wii/PS2 and tell me that he wouldn't be awesome? That second game of his is a true gem, and the GBA ones were fun as well. Pac-man has a lot of new moves thanks to that last game that no one brought for the Wii U, or the Ipad endless runner pacman game. My most desired character (not namco or bandai) is between Simon Belmont and Viewtiful Joe

Intrepid

Intrepid said:

I'm in the camp that feels that just because Namco is working on the game, it does not mean that any Namco characters will be in it. I really wouldn't want want any of them in the game either, but if Pac-Man ends up in it then I guess so be it.

redsoul91

redsoul91 said:

While I definitely agree that Pac-man makes poetic sense, I still can't get over how little I can picture a moveset that makes sense.. Combot actually sounds brilliant though! I can't believe it's only 4% right now!

evildevil97

evildevil97 said:

I like the idea of Pac-Man, but adding a few references here and there to other classic Namco arcade games. (Imagine using a Galaxian during a smash attack, for example.)

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

Pac-Man is a no brainer, I've wanted him and Mega Man in ever since Brawl. Even with the new design. I don't care, Pac-Man is the only other 4rd party character who deserves a spot on the roster.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Pac-Man is almost a given, seeing as Pac-Man was in a Mario game before (the Mariokart arcade titles) and the Pac-Man tv series is airing right now!

Personally I would love Red Savarin and his robot from Solatorobo!

Coffeeman777

Coffeeman777 said:

Do you guys remember the GameCube exclusive series Baten Kaitos? The games won awards and both have a interesting turn based card battle system. I think that makes Kalas and Sagi good candidates.

Although I suppose blue haired, male sword users are somewhat stale...

neohopeSTF

neohopeSTF said:

If there had to be one Pac-Man is the most obvious, but King of all Cosmos though :P would be the best classic mode final boss.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

@SammySpaceTime
Pac-man is overrated? were you even alive when it was introduced into the arcades?:P No other Namco character deserves a shot more than he does. As much as I love Klonoa(Wii) there's no way Sakurai would opt for him over Pac-man who is one of the most beloved and popular videogame characters of all time.

Klonoa's been in what, like 3 games? His last outing(the amazing Wii remake) did xtremely poor in sales to boot...

Pacman or Dig Dug(Classic look) are the only two that have a chance of making it in.

rylo151

rylo151 said:

how can anyone want pacman in it? in my opinion he just looks wrong in 3d, in every game! plus he doesnt suit nintendo at all, none of these capcom characters do, just keep it nintendo only, sonic is the only 3rd party i would accept, even little mac looks wrong

rylo151

rylo151 said:

plus what would pacmans moveset be?? its not like he is a fighter, all he does is eat!

neohopeSTF

neohopeSTF said:

@rylo151 Little Mac is a Nintendo character btw :P seriously though Mega Man is pretty Nintendo as it is. Moveset arguement is as bad as size matters argument if anybody can think of a moveset it would be Sakurai.

rylo151

rylo151 said:

i didn't know punch out was a Nintendo game. but please not pacman, unless he was just a floating yellow pizza, he just looks wrong with limbs and a face! but id still rather more nintendo characters than any 3rd party ones

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

@WaveBoy Klonoa's been in more than three games, and here's the kicker- they're all excellent!

I don't really want a Namco character but if they HAVE to have one, I'd rather him and his move-set potential for bouncing.

Simon Belmont is the only third party character left that would make sense, though.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

As long as it's not the super ugly wannabe Pac-Man you have pictured here, i'm fine with any of these characters.

Bizzyb

Bizzyb said:

If Characters like R.O.B., G&W, Ice Climbers, Little Mac, and Snake were given thoughtful unique movesets I see no reason why Pac-Man can't be given one as well.

CharleSketch

CharleSketch said:

@Bizzyb I kind of see the comparisons to R.O.B. since it was a toy, and Ice Climbers since I never played the NES game so I don't know what their abilities were. But you cannot seriously compare Pac-man to Little Mac, Snake and G&W. Little Mac is a boxer, you can give almost any other boxing move you can think of, plus more fantastical stuff; Snake is a soldier, endless supplies of weapons and his CQC; G&W had a ton of games where the character did something different, something his Smash Bros.-self does.

Like I hypothetically asked before: tell me what does Pac-man do beside eating pellets. I'm sure if Sakurai decides himself to add the character he'll work out something fun, but for now you canot tell me Pac-man is an "obvious" choice.

SockoMario

SockoMario said:

This article made me want to punch my computer screen. And seeing that Pac-Man has a high amount of votes makes me want to destroy my Nintendo consoles.

Thankfully, Sakurai stated that he has no interest in having these silly Namco characters in Smash.

BAGBOY

BAGBOY said:

I don't see why people keep posting more opinions on this thread, the consensus is (including my opinion of course): PAC MAN IS GOOD TO GO ON THE NEW SMASH, ANYBODY ELSE IS TRASH AND DOESN'T HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY HE HAS.

There, no point arguing this much more, Sakurai will find a way to give him a pretty awesome moveset and a great final smash, period.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

PacMan needs to happen. Having Sonic, Mario, MegaMan & PacMan in the same game would be amazing :D

TheBeardMan

TheBeardMan said:

Lloyd Irving for sure. While on the subject, bring us Wii U owners Tales of Symphonic Chronicles ;)

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

@SparkOfSpirit

Don't forget Bill Rizer from Contra and Arthur from Ghosts 'n Goblins. Two franchises that gave birth on the NES outside of their two original outings in the arcade, that spawned sequels both on the Nes & snes. They deserve to be up there just as much as Mr.Belmont. ;)

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

I'd say Lloyd Irving is the most suitable out of the bunch. Not just because of the variety of moves at his disposal, but the series as a whole just fits well with Smash Bros.'s lighthearted antics. It wouldn't feel strange at all having him in that kind of setting.

@PrincessEevee9
The only problem with the cast from Phantasia is most people probably have no clue who they even are, let alone about the game itself. Didn't exactly stop Marth or Roy but they'll likely be much more choosy with guest-stars. Sheena unfortunately misses the spotlight, and if not Lloyd it'd probably be Zelos. I think the klutzy assassin would be a close 3rd though.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Pacman is the obvious choice (after all, they stuck him in Mario Kart GP Arcade), but I voted King of the Cosmos because he's so dang awesome looking! :D

shigulicious

shigulicious said:

Klonoa and Lloyd. Also, bring in Simon Belmont please! His move set should be easy to incorporate.

Memeboy3

Memeboy3 said:

I'll be Realistic: None of Them will be chosen by Me and Most likely Won't be in Smash....

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

Personally, I'd rather see Tingle from LoZ or Non-Specific Action Figure in Smash Bros over PacMan.

PrincessEevee9

PrincessEevee9 said:

@Zombie_Barioth No No stop you're gonna make me want the entire cast now. xD Oh god Zelos. I'd only accept them all in if they have the glorious taunts and personalities they're known for! What about Presea and Regal tag-team?

It's utterly unfair how Symphonia is regarded as the best in the series when Phantasia is the better game.

Cyberbotv2

Cyberbotv2 said:

Wow, so many great recommendations in the comments! I wish Capcom could drop a character on Smash, namely RE 4 Leon with his magnum. That would be epic!

Senario

Senario said:

No pac man because that is silly and doesn't really fit the game. To me pac man always has no arms and no legs. No Lloyd Irving because they just released the HD collection of the symphonia series on PS3 and skipped over Wii U.

If I could pick any character from anywhere bomber man might be interesting.

EarthboundBenjy

EarthboundBenjy said:

@retro_player_22

Funnily enough I had been thinking about this by myself maybe just a little too much.
Lloyd, Luke, Cress, Asbel, and Emil are pretty much the only possible characters from Tales, as they are the only ones to appear on Nintendo systems. Though I guess Tales of Hearts and Tales of Innocence (And Tales of the Tempest) were on Nintendo DS, but it's so unlikely characters from them would get picked over Lloyd that they're practically impossible anyway.

I agree that Lloyd, Cress and Luke are the only potential Tales characters, with Lloyd being waaaay far ahead as being the most likely.

Hortencio

Hortencio said:

It's going to be Pac Man (sigh), but I'd reach a new level of cream if they included any of the following: Heihachi, Jin, Mitsurugi, Nightmare, or my personal "please, God," Yoshimitsu.
Big up to Finntendo and Nintenjoe64, they know what a seasoned fighting vet Yoshimitsu (this would be his 4th (?) different fighting franchise) is...c'mon, Nintendo, return the Soul Cal II Link 'favor' with my man 'mitsu!

Yomerodes

Yomerodes said:

Dampierre, of course. I didn't even knew the character existed until today (and I have Sould Calibur Broken Destiny), but sure why not...with Smash my philosophy is, the crazier and nonsensical, the better.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@PrincessEevee9
I think a tag-team would be a bit weird for a Tales of character since they all have their own style and moves. The only one that might work is Luke and Mieu.

They'd add Lloyd for the same reason he was in SoulCalibur Legends. Hes iconic not just within the series itself but more importantly for Nintendo consoles. Can't really blame anyone though since except for a couple remakes its the only original Tales of game we've gotten on Nintendo hardware. People would be as confused as when Marth and Roy first showed up.

piojito_O

piojito_O said:

Either Lloyd gets in OR NO ONE DOES! =k

Seriously though;
With that great move pool, Lloyd makes perfect sense! maybe have Genis & Raine as assist trophy, & most importantly= cough Kratos as Final smash! [Shinning bind or Judgment] :D

If the choice were up to Namco, I would think that Tales would be the way to go? They'll be gaining more adoring fans, people will want to look into all the games.
(basically what Smash did for FireEmblem)

~And hopefully they'll finally port their newest games to Ninty consoles already! >:/

Not too thrilled to play as Pacman, (at least not with his newer design ick, x_x; )

Honestly can't see him being an exciting character, Not that I doubt Mr. Sakurai's ability to make something out of him.

If he's all that important:
Make him an assist trophy, dedicate a stage to him, but as a fighter? - Ehhhhhhh.. If they were to go with the robot suit thing again - pass. :/

Would not mind Klonoa though.

tripunktoj

tripunktoj said:

Team up Pac-Man with Ms. Pac-Man, or the ghosts ala Captain Olimar & Pikmin. Or give him the moves used in his most recent outings, its not that hard to give him a decent move set and gameplay mechanics if they'd really wanted to include him.

Finntendo

Finntendo said:

@Hortencio

Exactly! I mean how great it would be? Yoshimitsu has such a great moves and would fit perfectly to that group. (I must admit, everytime I start failing in games including Yoshimitsu - I just change back to him and everything is good again)... namunamunamunamunamuu...

PrincessEevee9

PrincessEevee9 said:

@FilmerNgameR Please make happen, please.

@Zombie_Barioth I think it'd be weird if they didn't pair up certain character together or any at all. Judging by the gameplay and style every character compliments another. I say Regal and Presea because I know they both have history and when you play as both of them they just sync or so I see it as.

Shambo

Shambo said:

Lloyd, King (or at least a Katamari stage, or a Katamari support) and Pac Man, but not the Capcom X Namco version.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Even if the rumor of customizable movesets is true, Combot would easily break the game. Unlike in Tekken, the different moves of a Smash Bros. character have a very wide variety of power and usefulness. An advanced player could easily come up with an uber Combot moveset that would make him nearly unbeatable against any character other than another Combot.

iKhan

iKhan said:

Also worth mentioning that ToS's Director and Producer, Yoshito Higuchi, IS ALSO CO-DIRECTING SMASH BROS!