E3 Nintendo Direct Date and Time Confirmed

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Wii U hype mode... ENGAGE!

After promises and statements about a Wii U-centric Nintendo Direct around the time of E3, the big N has now confirmed that a global broadcast will take place just before the expo opens. Both Nintendo of America and Nintendo of Europe have stated that the subject matter will be future Wii U releases; this backs up a previous promise that games set for Fall, Winter and beyond will be shown off.

Now for the all-important details, you'll need to tune in on 11th June at 3pm UK time / 4pm European Central time / 10am Eastern / 7am Pacific.

Nintendo has already confirmed that Smash Bros., 3D Mario and Mario Kart will be shown, but we can also hope to see more of the titles revealed in the special Wii U Direct earlier this year; it would also be remiss of Nintendo if it didn't produce the odd surprise. Nintendo UK has described it as a global edition, so one show is likely to show off these games before a bombardment — well, hopefully — of release dates and further details after the broadcast. With the second half of 2013 and early 2014 being so vital for the Wii U, we can reasonably expect Nintendo to go all out in this presentation.

This, of course, takes place in the absence of a headline conference at E3, which Nintendo opted out of this year. As this event is focused on the Wii U specifically, we'll have to wait and see whether a separate 3DS Nintendo Direct is also lined up. Last year Nintendo produced two main Nintendo Direct-style videos and two live presentations — including the smaller 3DS event — so we wouldn't be surprised if there's more lined up.

It'll be exciting to catch a first glimpse of some big Wii U titles on the way. Naturally we'll be providing full and comprehensive live coverage here on Nintendo Life.

So, on a scale of 1-10, just how hyped are you for this Wii U Nintendo Direct?

ferthepoet

ferthepoet said:

Don't care about Wii U, hope they also have a 3DS direct they'll be stupid not to

Cevan

Cevan said:

I'm looking forward to this. I'm hoping they announce a 3DS Nintendo Direct as well, and possibly even show off the 3DS Super Smash Bros.

SamSan37

SamSan37 said:

This is the big one guys. Hoping for great announcements and new trailers for announced games like Smash, Bayonetta, and Sonic lost.

Rafie

Rafie said:

Doesn't E3 start on the 10th?! Well anyway, I for one am hyped for this! I can finally see some screen shots or even better...a bit of gameplay of the games I'm looking forward to. Smash Bros, Mario Kart, 3D Mario, etc.

OverturePT

OverturePT said:

@ferthepoet Maybe a separate one, but I guess this will be focused on the Wii U. 3DS has a bunch of games coming this year, can't really ask for more, so no reason to put too much focus on that. This is it for the Wii U, they have to save the console at this E3.

Beta

Beta said:

@ferthepoet Actually, it's problem stupid if they do :P They have to focus on reviving the dead Wii U, the 3DS is fine on its own with things coming out this year.

Wonder_Ideal

Wonder_Ideal said:

My body is ready. How about U?
I don't think that Iwata's fruit staring mystery will ever be solved. It is not for mere mortals to understand such things.

sadsack777

sadsack777 said:

I hope Nintendo stands out so much that the wii u will become more of next gen because at the mo its not looking good now they have shown xbox 1 lets just hope the big N stays that way need more wii u games than 3ds the 3ds is doing realy well ,Nintendo needs to have a big surprise in a big way to keep us with the next gen

rjejr

rjejr said:

Thanks for translating all the time info. Late breakfast on the 11th :-)

Don't forget Yoshi's Yarn Planet. Kids need games too.
And WiiFitU or some random dance/zumba game. Moms need games too.
And Wii Music U. ;-)

And for those asking for a 3DS specific ND - what OverturePT just wrote.

Should easily be the highlight of E3.

BATRA

BATRA said:

we will be hear to see all of it just hope to see battalion wars 3 for the wii u been saying this for 3 years now big fan of the game

Portista

Portista said:

...I'm not sure. I've learned not to be to excited about this stuff. I find i get more discouraged then actually pleased. So I'm not holding my breath.

Daggo

Daggo said:

Excitement only to 10? pffft
That puny scale cannot grasp the true form of everyone's exciment!

Drop the Bom-omb, Mr. Iwata!

Mr_Vengeance

Mr_Vengeance said:

Cannot wait!!! Hype set to..... off the scale. I have yet to buy a Wii U, but if this is as good as I think it will be (3D Mario and a new Mario Kart - hello!!!) then I will be investing in new hardware very very soon!

SkywardCrowbar

SkywardCrowbar said:

I want to see the Yoshi game, 3D Mario, Smash Bros., Mario Kart, and some new info about Sonic: Lost World.

Hopefully there will be some info on Bayonetta 2 as well. We just need games, games, and more games.

Mizore

Mizore said:

...I'm hoping they'll still have some surprises at E3 too, if they're revealing all of the big ones in a direct.

RedRocBoy

RedRocBoy said:

Games,games and more games. And those new features coming with the Summer update.

MariosLoveChild

MariosLoveChild said:

Apart from the games already mentioned, I'd love to see a new starfox game and a new pilot wings game. Both need to be more like the snes and N64 games!!

Marakuto

Marakuto said:

@Portista Same here, I usually get that feeling when a Nintendo Direct is shown.

I hope they reveal some exciting things to make me want to actually purchase a Wii U. The big moment is really close now!

Peach64

Peach64 said:

Would have been nice if it had been a bit later for those of us with jobs! Are the conferences usually that time too? I don't think I've watched an E3 conference since 2006, but I seem to remember them all taking place in the evening UK time.

I want to see lots of new stuff instead of new updates to old IPs. It's kind of hard to make a list, but... I'll try anyway.

3D Mario (not a Galaxy game, something new)
Monolith's new game
Retro's new game (REALLY want it to be a new IP)
Square-Enix and Nintendo partnering up to make a Kingdom Hearts style game, but using Nintendo characters and worlds rather than Disney

Advance Wars 3DS
Starfox Adventures type game on the 3DS by Next Level Games
GBA Games on the 3DS VC

I'd love to just see a bunch of great new games come out instead of the 'next iteration' of a 25 year old franchise.

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

Nintendo has no reason to not go all out with tons of game announcements for later this year and the first half of next year. This may be their last chance to show people why Wii U matters before the new consoles release. If they somehow blow E3 for the third year in a row, Wii U may not even reach gamecube levels of sales. I really want to see Wii U succeed. So yes, show us 3D Mario, Mario Kart U, Pikmin 3, Smash Bros U, Wii Fit U, Yarn Yoshi, Wii Party U, Game & Wario, Wonderful 101, and Bayonetta 2... But we need more than that in my opinion. Whatever retro is working on should show, and some distant future titles like Fire Emblem x SMT and the new Xenoblade need to be shown as well. We need another surprise or two as well, big or small... New IP, new Star Fox, Gamecube and Dreamcast support on Wii U VC... Anything really... Just something cool and unexpected.

On a scale of 1 to 10, i'm at 10 just to see the new mario and smash bros games... If thats all they were showing, i'd be at a 10 anyway. Those two games along with pikmin 3 and the new zelda game they have mentioned is in early dev stages are my reasons for buying a Wii U.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I also think it's REALLY important that they show stuff that's coming out in 2014. Every console has a drought of games in it's first 6 months, but for every other console you see stuff that's coming out way before. When the 360 had no games, they were showing off videos of Mass Effect, Gears of War and Bioshock. When the PS3 had no games they were showing off videos of Metal Gear Solid 4. People were playing Mario Galaxy at E3 and putting videos up 18 months before it came out. Nintendo to create a buzz of excitement about the console, not keep everything secret.

Arcamenel

Arcamenel said:

I'll be in class but maybe I can check here on my laptop while my professor attempts to give a coherent lecture.

Smug43

Smug43 said:

Nintendo opted out in order to focus on producing GAMES and the deal with bestbuy to bring the E3 experience to the GAMERS!!! HOW FREAKING AWESOME IS THAT?????? Thank you Nintendo!!!!!!!!!! I would rather they spend the money on this deal than some glamor presentation which IMO they aren't very good at anyways! This June is going to be sooo amazing... there aren't enough bombs to go around!!!!!!

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@gavn64 I don't know what the fruit and veg staring is about, maybe you're right. I just really like using that picture...

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

I hope this Direct will have better production values than they usually do. ;)
This NEEDS to have proper E3 flash and flair! It needs to substitute the usual live stream, so it needs to have real news value and media sexyness.

Pj1

Pj1 said:

Lets hope lots of announcements for great games, the chance to buy second wii-u pads as we all know the battery life in them is bad! Oh & I'd love plenty of retro stuff too.

Zup

Zup said:

just waited for a minute. just 25068 more to go. 25067. and counting

BlackSpy

BlackSpy said:

:'( :'( I'll be out of town when this happens, gotta wait a whole week before I get to watch it. When I get back home, I'm going straight to Ninty's YouTube channel to watch it so I don't accidentally see any spoilers on Nintendo Life. sorry guys, it's gotta be this way

Daggo

Daggo said:

I'm really glad this is coming, but to say the truth I highly doubt any game shown on this Nintendo Direct will be out this year, maybe X, but the others I don't think so.
(Especially Shin Megami Tensei meets Fire Emblem)

kereke12

kereke12 said:

Hype Turn ON Loading.................................
Complete....100% Ok AWESOME Nintendo let just hope you don't leave of anything for 3DS owners and since im getting Wii U(hopefully) Ill be also Watching the Wii U.....Oh and Don't Forget about Miiverse for 3DS.

Mqblank

Mqblank said:

If Nintendo did announce a new IP what type/style of game do you think it would be? (Platform, puzzle, shooter etc)

Farmboy74

Farmboy74 said:

I want to see new killer ip and games that will go into 2014 and beyond!!, I want a new F-Zero game. I wouldn't even mind another entry in the Red Steel series as I quite liked Red Steel 2. Nintendo needs to push as many games as they can and not let Sony & Microsoft overshadow them

AzureShadow

AzureShadow said:

@Mqblank A puzzle type of game with perhaps RTS elements. I think the WiiU Pad would be perfect for that and it is kind of showcased in a few Nintendo Land games at least the Luigi's mansion one. I think it would be a nice change of pace or better yet even some MMO stylized game similar to Lego City which would have been even more fun with co-op; but either way still enjoying it!

InfernoHamadi

InfernoHamadi said:

Also there is going to be a pokemon x and y special at e3 june 11 at 6pm pacific time and will last 90 minutes

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

So soon,wow this has been a quick year.I can remember last years anticipation and disappointment like it was yesterday and the excitement and then confusion of 2 years ago like it was 2 days ago.

cuba444

cuba444 said:

Smash and Mario Kart-can't wait- so soon means a definite 2013 release
I hope

Bragoon

Bragoon said:

I must concur with the sentiment that the hype level is 11. I need my new Smash Bros.

WanderingPB

WanderingPB said:

I can't wait to see what Nintendo's going to bring out! Im very excited for the new classics like mario kart, 3d mario & smash bros but am also excited for possible new IPs…but all in all i jus want quality fun games whether its new or old IPs…

Too many people complaining about new IPs. good games are good games and Nintendo always reinvents the classics anyway so its still fresh and new. Im sure we'll get the best of both worlds

Ren

Ren said:

agreed with someone above. I'd gladly watch some actor in for Iwata who can speak a little faster and more engaging and produced a little better. More excited for 3ds stuff, but I'd love to be suprised by something that should have come last year like a new zelda U or 3d marioU or something.

bassoongoon

bassoongoon said:

I'm excited! I pre-ordered my Wii U, so I got it back in November. So far I have only got 5 games. Not much besides what I have has appealed to me. Kind of sucks that we have had to wait almost a year (in the case of Pikmin) or longer (in the case of Wind Waker HD, Mario and Sonic at the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics, Sonic Lostworld, etc...). Still, not much that can be done about it so I guess I will have to be patient!

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

It's a pivotal day for Nintendo to be sure. Skeptic says Nintendo could make the Wii U it's very last home console if it majorly disappoints here. Optimist says Wii U could show itself as the best value with the most enticing game offerings. :)

strongest_link

strongest_link said:

At hype level 10. I wonder how many Nintendo Directs they will have during E3 this yer. I'm thinking 2-3.

NINTENBOY

NINTENBOY said:

@ferthepoet SCREW THE 3DS!! Which one needs more support right now? Which one has seemingly gotton 24/7 attention from Nintendo and which one has only been talked about on occasion?? Which is selling like crazy and which one struggling??

link3710

link3710 said:

Serebii just posted that there will at least be a Pokemon X/Y conference, so there will be some 3DS report.

ScorpionMG

ScorpionMG said:

@Daggo You must be kidding me right?
3d Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda Wind waker are all confirmed to come this year and probably X too and the sonic games.
I think super smash bros, yoshi, bayonetta 2 and the other will come in 2014

Beta

Beta said:

What's up with people complaining about the 3DS? You have had enough Directs for only the 3DS and games throughout the whole year that will keep you busy. Meanwhile on the Wii U side, it's in a drought and it needs attention to catch up with the 3DS! That's why they need to give it a little more attention this and probably next year!

SkywardCrowbar

SkywardCrowbar said:

Nintendo should only add maybe 1 or 2 games to the fall and holiday lineup. I want to see lots of games for next year. Wii U can't survive another 8 month drought of sales like they had this year again. We need games throughout next year and throughout the rest of the Wii U's life.

ScorpionMG

ScorpionMG said:

@MrMario02 @SuperSah
Guys, Nintendo just said the 1st nintendo direct on e3 will be for wii U, They need to boos the sales fast, this is why they are doing this. If not, its gonna be bad for the company afterm and anyway, they said they were gonna make like 3-5 directs during E3 time, and there will be a 3Ds direct too, So Just wait your turn please.

skjia

skjia said:

@Rafie Nintendo's press conference always used to take place on Tuesday so this is really just replacing that. And yes it will be great to see the games we've all been waiting for. Here's hoping Smash Bros and Mario will be available to play at Best Buy too!

bonham2

bonham2 said:

I love how nearly every Nintendo IP has been mentioned here. Of course I want to see the big guns (Mario, Zelda, Metroid), but I also want some of the forgotten IPs. How about a new Pilotwings, F-Zero, or maybe a new Custom Robo. More than any of those, I want a new Nintendo IP...correction, I want a new Miyamoto IP. Remember how excited he was for Pikmin? I would love to see a new IP designed specifically for the Wii U's gamepad, and not just another eShop game.

Oh, while I'm on that topic, how about some1st party eShop games. I also want a VC schedule or at least a list of upcoming titles. Let's get more consoles on board...how about Dreamcast/Saturn/Sega CD or even some obscure consoles (Jaguar). And GAMECUBE GAMES please.

Yoshi3DS

Yoshi3DS said:

i honestly can't decide whether to get a wii u or wait for xbox one!
im sure when they give the new xbox a gigantic price tag i'll be able to decide

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

What would I like to see? Footage from Super Mario, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros. 4, Sonic Lost World, maybe a couple GameCube remakes, like Luigi's Mansion...

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

I'm interested to see what Nintendo has but since they will opt out of a headline spot at E3 then I think show will be pretty lackluster overall. I think the other companies will focus more on media functionality over games.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Awesome! Though I always try to not get my expectations up too high for Nintendo Directs, they're certainly making that hard this time around :D I'm most greatly looking forward to the next 3D Super Mario game, I really hope it releases before the end of October! & Mario Kart is going to be awesome too! Only 2 & a half weeks to go...

Varia01

Varia01 said:

YES! I can't wait to see these new games! I'm'a'beggin' for a new Metroid game, and hopefullly it will be revealed at E3! :)

G3ry

G3ry said:

I LOVED the cheering and screaming at the E3 SHOW when they announced games, I will be missing that A LOT in the NINTENDO DIRECT!!!
Hopefuly the NINTENDO DIRECT will just be the announcements, and then there is a SHOW at E3 to present how the game looks like and the gameplay!!!
PLEASE SUPPORT 3RD PARTY TITLES ON WII U & 3DS!!!

SkywardCrowbar

SkywardCrowbar said:

Considering Metroid Prime is my favorite game of all time, my top request would be for a new Prime trilogy made by Retro.

Monkeyofthefunk

Monkeyofthefunk said:

I cannot wait for Mario Kart U. If there's a Mario 3D and SSB in the same Direct I'll explode!!
Looking good for this year. Got NSMBU and Runner 2 to keep me happy at the mo, but nothing much after finishing those, so role on a busy release schedule. Would be nice to get a big release during the summer and not all together in the busy Christmas period.

belmont

belmont said:

I would like to see a new IP, some of the old ones have become somewhat tiring to me. The bad think for Nintendo is that the direct will be seen basically only from its fans and core gamers where Sony and Microsoft will get way bigger coverage. So for another time the mass will not know what a Wii U is.

MAN1AC

MAN1AC said:

I really wish they'd move these things to the evening :/
It would be nice to watch them live for once

P-Gamer-C

P-Gamer-C said:

Im not excited about wii u at all anymore if they dont show a zelda game or galaxy 3 who cares but i am looking forward to the 3ds that thing is on fire im about to get luigi mansion

GamerZack7

GamerZack7 said:

@Cevan: I was just thinking the same thing about Smash Bros. 3DS. I hope we get to see some footage of that puppy. I really want to know if the ideas for character customisation and "levelling-up" came to fruition! :D

Mmm...fruit...

tovare

tovare said:

I'm hoping to see some announcements

Source: http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=197249
"Vidyo is the company involved with Nintendo for Wii U Chat. While that experience exists in and of itself right now, it seems like there might be multiple expansions in the future. The followingg info comes from a Vidyo PDF.

Focus on social networking around gaming
Now: video chat in Miiverse
Next: video-powered game experiences

Chat today, conferencing soon
Now: point-to-point
Next: multi-party conferencing

Extending to mobile devices soon
Now: between Wii U consoles
Next: between Wii U and mobile devices

In-game video along with Wii U video chat connecting to other devices? Both sounds like great ways to expand the service. I'm more about games, but I'll take services as well! Thanks to all that sent this in."

Nintendo and Google is allready working toghether with street view, so why not integrate Wii U and google hangouts and video chat :-)

MarioFanatic38

MarioFanatic38 said:

@ferthepoet

Why in the H E double hockey sticks would they do another 3ds direct?? Its Wii U time to shine, the 3ds had its moment for now. They needs to focus on Wii U.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

@MarioFanatic53 ... Lol, wouldn't it be better if the Wii U and 3DS were amazing AT THE SAME TIME!?! I know, far to radical for our human mind to process, but with a good release schedule both consoles could shine at the same time. Now, you do realize that they haven't shown us anything about most of the games they've announced? The Wii U needs announcements, and the 3DS needs elaboration on previous announcements.

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

Prof_Elvin_Gadd said:

Reads own level of hype

Power Scanner explodes

Needs eye doctor ASAP

Seriously though, this is awesome news @NL. I really hope we see more of Monolithsoft's JRPG :D

@Austroid +1 Best show ever my friend.

Sparkz

Sparkz said:

I am definitely hyped all the way up to 11! I wish Ninty all the best and success at a great E3--certainly going to be tuning in! I already plan to get the Wii U, so seeing a vast stretch of future great games will really push me towards being a happy future owner of the console!

hydeks

hydeks said:

Can't wait! So many great games promised, so many games we don't have a clue about. Hopefully Retro shows what there doing.

Gallimastro

Gallimastro said:

First party titles are always a given. I think if Nintendo wants to surprise us with a left hook of awesome, they'd announce third party titles that we'd never expect:

New Mega Man
New Capcom vs ???
a SotNish Castlevania,
a port of Saints Row 4
port of GTA 5
A new Final Fantasy title
A sudden influx of ported games from current gen (sort of like launch)

or the real surprise, exclusive Fallout sequel utilizing the touch pad as a Pip Boy.

I think my optimism has officially reached levels of delusion. Need my reality medicine, brb.

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

a new 3d mario, a new mario kart, and a new smash bros, yoshi made of yarn

I already have all I need, but i'm still excited

brucelebnd

brucelebnd said:

so the Wii U sales rose 875% on UK amazon after Xbox One was unveiled. yup nintendo is dead for sure

Cyberbotv2

Cyberbotv2 said:

I'm hoping for a new IP. I want something like Super Monkey Ball or Eternal Darkness for the Gamecube. Something so darn addictive, I'm engrossed for months.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

for everyone that said the last direct sucked... Now is the one that is going to show good stuff this is going to get crazy lets see what they bring hope theres more third party games

time to board that hype train again ;)

astros75

astros75 said:

Nintendo announcements @ E3 are always one of my favorite times of the year. Can't wait!!

progx

progx said:

Microsoft and Sony are going to ENGAGE into HYPE mode. The PS4 and Xbox One haven't had the warmest receptions. I own an Xbox 360, along with the Wii U and 3DS, I will NOT be replacing it this year with a One. Microsoft is demanding too much money and no bang for it. Nintendo has won all my gaming money. If I can only get GTA V on the Wii U, then my Xbox could enjoy a semi-permanent vacation then its enjoying ;)

Neram

Neram said:

I try not to set my expectations too high for these kinds of things... So basically I'm telling myself no-

OMFG did he say Smash Bros. and 3D Mario!? LONG LIVE NINTENDO! ALL HAIL IWATA AND MIYAMOTO!

The-Chosen-one

The-Chosen-one said:

They will show Smashbros, what more do i need lol. thats all i wanted to see :p
And the next Zelda, the new 3D mario, retros secret title!
Xenoblade!!
and i dont know what else they have in stoor, but this time in E3 they will be less talking, and more showing!

Yai

Yai said:

Cannot wait to see what the 3D mario will be like. Mainly because it has been ages since a game with the calibre of things like Galaxy or 64. Smash as well, as I found Brawl pretty amazing. I wonder if they will show some new big secret thing as well o:

Kirk

Kirk said:

You know, it would be a stunning surprise if Nintendo actually just blew us all away and along with the Mario, Mario Kart and Smash Bros titles they've already announced they also showed us new Star Fox, F-Zero, Metroid and Earthbound games too. Or at the very least they could announce that those games are in development and coming to Wii U. Now that would be the kind of Nintendo Direct that would at least blow every single once Nintendo hardcore fan away, if not all the non-Nintendo gamers who are even harder to please, along with all the fanboys who are going to happy with whatever Nintendo shows regardless. Why however do I think that's somehow just beyond Nintendo to deliver in this day and age...

Araknie

Araknie said:

Do want more exclusives and release dates for all 2013 games from september and on.
Then i will be happy as a furry in Hamtaro's disco club.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

@MarioFanatic53 Yes they do. We have 0 information on LoZ 3D, and no information on Yoshi's Island. I'm not saying announcements, just information on previously announced titles. The 3DS has had a flurry of announcements but little information on those. The Wii U has a couple of announced titles too, but no information on them, and they both need attention. They aren't competing for conference time this year, so what's the problem with giving them both attention?

Snowdog14

Snowdog14 said:

A 10. Simple as that. This gives another reason for me to buy a Wii U. I CAN'T WAIT FOR MARIO KART WII U! XD

Yoshis_VGM

Yoshis_VGM said:

@Yoshi3DS I honestly think you just answered your own question.

Besides, you should get Wii U...it's exactly what it's meant to be: a gaming console.