Video: What Could Super Mario Galaxy Look Like In HD?

Posted by Rory Cocker

We give a Wii classic the High Definition treatment

While many other console owners made the leap into HD with the launch of the Xbox 360 and PS3 many years ago, Nintendo fans had to wait a little longer — lest we forget, the entire Wii era was spent in Standard Definition. This got us thinking — what would some of the Wii's best games look like when rendered at a higher resolution?

With that thought in mind, we present the first in what we intend to be a long line of comparison videos which show what certain Wii titles look like in both SD and HD — just so you can see what your eyeballs have been missing all these years. We've picked a solid favourite in the form of Super Mario Galaxy, one of the console's most celebrated releases.

It's worth pointing out that this footage is a hypothetical demonstration designed to illustrate what the game might look like running in HD, and is not (we repeat, NOT) a trailer for an official Nintendo product, nor is it affiliated or endorsed by Nintendo in any way. Got that? Good.

Feast your eyes and then vote in the poll below — which game would you like us to focus on next time?

What game would you like us to give the HD treatment to next? (648 votes)

Xenoblade Chronicles

28%

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

32%

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

10%

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

17%

Metroid Other M

Wii Sports Resort

Please login to vote in this poll.

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

Such a goldmine of opportunity. Some would complain about making HD ports of their Wii hits since they're not new games, but you can't tell me they wouldn't sell well. Maybe boost a few Wii U numbers in the process.

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

I want none of those games in HD tbh...actually...I don't want any HD remakes/remasters/whatever you want to call them at all.

I'm sure A LOT people would love it, but I'm the type of guy, who wants to have (more or less :p) new experiences over that kind of stuff. Mostly because I always kept my games and consoles and I really only buy games on VC or remakes if I don't own the original (anymore in some cases like A Link to the Past)

Burning_Spear

Burning_Spear said:

I think it's beautiful and I appreciate Nintendolife's work, but I think Galaxy is a masterpiece that needs to be left in its original glory.

allav866

allav866 said:

I would think that Nintendo would add more advanced lighting effects and textures like Wind Waker HD. It would only be justified if it came as a Galaxy 1+2 HD on a single disc, or separately on the eShop.

Goginho

Goginho said:

I dunno, there's a certain charm about those SD games on the Wii. As good as it looks in HD, I personally don't feel it necessary at all to upgrade, since I can imagine the developers had SD in mind when creating these games, and that would kind of defeat a bit of the purpose imo., and go against the base philosphy behind creating the visuals as they have become.
We should just be thankful that we're getting class A titles from Nintendo in HD at this point in time and I cannot wait to see what the next Zelda, 3D Mario (in style of 64 - Galaxy) and the rest of the line-up we have in store, look once they come out. Just look at how gorgeous MK 8 is turning out to be, and it was made specifically with HD in mind. Now think about how MK Wii would look in HD. It would certainly look a lot cleaner, but would it fit with the character models and environments and what not? I think it wouldn't be as smooth-looking though.

If anything, I'd say Twilight Princess would benefit from a similar treatment Wind Waker got. From this list though, I'd have to choose Wii Sports Resort.

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

I can already play Wii games on my Wii U, and none of them are particularly ugly looking (unless they were originally ugly on the Wii anyway). I'd rather see HD remakes of N64 or Gamecube games.

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

I'd love to play Galaxy in HD. That's not breathtakingly different, but definitely improved. With that said, I'd love to see Metroid Prime 3 next :D

Kafei2006

Kafei2006 said:

I've been playing Xenoblade Chronicles in HD on Dolphin, and it looks amazing!! Since I can't capture the greatness of it myself, i'd like to see you guys do it instead ^^.

Goginho

Goginho said:

@PvtOttobot It was like that mainly because of the visual direction they took. It's an art movement called impressionism, which is all about sort, thick brush strokes, and blurred off distances, giving a sense of freshness and depth, so I wouldn't necessarily call it bad. Maybe bad for you, but that's a matter of taste, I guess. I personally found it suiting and perfect tbh.. It is perfect, because it is a clever and ideal method of working around the SD limitations of the Wii to make an outstanding-looking Zelda game, so I'd say SS needs an HD upgrade the least.

@Burning_Spear Exactly my thoughts. Galaxy should be left the way it is :)

LordFamicom

LordFamicom said:

I'm not completely sure about this and correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Wii U play Wii games in a better quality?

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

2015 will be the year of HD remasters on eShop calling it now. The mark of a true nintendo fan-consumer is that you've purchased the same games more than once

Vriess

Vriess said:

I want 16:9 format Twilight Princess in HD with Wii U gamepad and pro controller support!! :P

Dominicruz

Dominicruz said:

looks good.That song of that game remind me pokemon x that city song I forgot the name of that city.

el_anto

el_anto said:

Why doesn't nintendo with here next update just have the wii backwards compatibility show with hd resolutions from your same resolution option from the wii u menu, how difficult could it be, just hd the resolution, if its clearer there would be a great difference, sharper and more detailed picture

rjejr

rjejr said:

My son bought SMG a few weeks ago and has been playing it on the 32" 720p tv in the bedroom on the old Wii and it looks fine. I wouldnt be opposed to an HD 2 pack like somebody else mentioned but Ild really rather see them focus else where since the Wii U can play Wii games. Though I really want Monolith to give us Xenoblade in HD as a digital download before we get X.

artyt89

artyt89 said:

just finished super mario galaxy for the first time a few days ago!!! AMAZING GAME!! time for SMG 2 now :}

MAB

MAB said:

Yeah, don't go giving Nintendo any ideas... Mario is tired and needs to rest for a while ;)

Untitled

Linkstrikesback

Linkstrikesback said:

"What could it look like" vs "what will it look like if it happens" are two very different things.

1) is what we've been seeing for years on dolphin, and is glorious. 2) is the nintendo approach where they put BLOOM EVERYWHERE for no reason (thanks WWHD).

XyVoX

XyVoX said:

I can say for sure that using only the Monster component cable (others component cables dont show as clear or crisp picture ive tried) and plugging the component cable into my high end home cinema amp which happens to have one of the best scaling chips out there which means upscaling it to 1080p and outputting through HDMI pretty much look like this as do most of the other Wii games aswell..

Franklin

Franklin said:

I find the preoccupation with HD bewildering. It's a nice extra, nothing more.

element187

element187 said:

@Peach64 I respectfully disagree. Adding modern shading and lighting effects to Wind Waker made the game pop. It's ok on dolphin, it's breathtaking in their HD remake

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

Seeing as I can just pop Galaxy 1/2 into my Wii U (and they are cheap and easy to find in stores) I'd prefer F-Zero GX or Starfox Assault get the HD treatment first.

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

I agree with Jazzer94, F-Zero GX all the way!!
Or even something different, like Kirbys Air Ride or Resident Evil Remake.

Kirk

Kirk said:

The irony here is that the "HD" footage is MUCH closer to how this game looks running on my SD CRTV than the "SD" footage is.

I think most people have forgotten how good most of these SD games look when running and viewed directly on a high quality SD CRTV because of how totally and utterly sh*t most SD video footage running on your computer looks by comparison. That video is not an accurate representation of how these games look in actual real world use, or at least certainly on based on how they look running on my ancient SD CRTV. Even if you run the games directly on an HDTV, most of the time it make these games look like crap when compared to simply running then on a proper SD CRTV because of the lack of filtering (basically free anti-aliasing) and in many cases the higher contrast ratios and better blacks on many old CRTVs.

You're computer screen playing video footage of an SD game simply cannot match the quality of a good SD CRTV when trying to display these games in the best possible light (when representing how good or bad they actually look in SD).

shigulicious

shigulicious said:

If Nintendo needs to release HD ports like this to fill in gaps of new games ( like Wind Waker), Im all for it. I would only buy them at a nice discount since the originals hold up fine IMO.

yuwarite

yuwarite said:

Discussion of the Dolphin emulator is against the Community Rules/TOS:

"Unacceptable Content

Whilst we grant members the freedom to talk about almost any topic there are still limits, most of these fall under the common sense column but the following subjects are explicitly against our rules:

• Any illegal activity, including but not limited to, talk of modchips, flashcarts, piracy, warez, etc.
  • Talk or discussion about any unofficial emulators and/or ROMs"
RogueBologna

RogueBologna said:

I am all for HD releases if they are cheap and/or come with the series. (Just as long as they're a good deal.) I'd definitely buy the Prime games and Xenoblade, and a couple friends of mine would probably finally try the Gaalacy games.

NaturalGus

NaturalGus said:

i feel the wind waker hd was awesome but not a significant leap since the standard def graphics were fantastic to begin with. same thing.with mario galaxy. running galaxy in 480p has pretty much felt like HD on that game anyway. what i WOULD like to see is an HD remake of Mario 64 or Ocarina of Time. Look to the N64 for games that are in dire need of an HD treatment, not the wii or gamecube, those are already ok

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

@Goginho I'm not an idiot. I know what impressionism is and I know that that's what the SS art style was based on. But that doesn't mean to say that the view distance wasn't still horribly short! I loved the impressionist style backgrounds and general feel of the art, but I hated the constant shift between toon animation and that, every time you move a couple meters away from an object. I think it would really benefit from HD and Next Gen power on the Wii U, but the main problem I had with SS was that STUPID harp!! It sounded truly terrible (seeing as it was out of time 50% of the time) and was an utter disaster to control with motion +, and the normal focus on music in Zelda games was totally downplayed/just annoying when it did happen.

NorthLightSuplx

NorthLightSuplx said:

I just want to be able to play all the Wii games with dual analog stick controls. I was not a big fan of motion controls.

Zach

Zach said:

HINT: The video looks a lot better when you turn it up from 240p #iknowfromexperience #dooh

Buduski

Buduski said:

I would love to see a Xenoblade chronicles HD remake and a Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess HD remake and I would be a very happy Nintendo Gamer.

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

I'd like to see TP over SS for an HD remake. SS looks gorgeous as is--I only want a remake of that one if they use the extra power of the Wii U to fix other stuff. For example, being able to seamlessly skydive into/out of Skyloft without initiating a loading scene.

accc

accc said:

I played Mario Galaxy and a handful of other Wii games in 1080p with Dolphin, it was glorious!

RancidVomit86

RancidVomit86 said:

I'm assuming you used Dolphin to get these games in HD. Again something we can't talk about on forums but it will be OK to use it to put front page features up. Make the decision if you are pro or anti emulation and stick to it nintendolife.com.

TheRealThanos

TheRealThanos said:

Dolphin is all nice and great, but the only difference I saw was the image being cleaned up and a considerable improvement in anti-aliasing. That combined does a lot, but the difference to me isn't enough to say that we need to have remakes of these games. New games and experiences are a priority to me, although some games, like Xenoblade, would have benefited from being in HD for sure.
As for people that don't have a Wii U but do want to get the most out of their Wii games without having to spend a lot of money, buy one of these: http://www.tmart.com/Converter-Cable-720-1080p-for-WII-to-HDMI_p163575.html
I have one myself and have the Wii hooked up to a 42" HD Panasonic Viera plasma TV and it looks beautiful. When I first bought my Wii, I connected it with the standard cables and some time after that switched to component cables to be able to enjoy a better image quality, but this thing is another considerable step up from that. The only difference between this little gadget and a program like Dolphin is that you cannot adjust settings, so some games will still have 'jaggies' but the upscaling and cleanup of the images works wonderfully well, so if you want to do your Wii justice it is certainly worth it to purchase one of these little gizmo's. The first time I fired up Donkey Kong Country Returns I couldn't believe that those were Wii graphics. I didn't even play the game; I just let it run to admire the cleaned up and upscaled graphics. Besides Donkey Kong Country Returns, (and of course Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2) Kirby's Epic Yarn and Muramasa The Demon Blade also look incredible.
A side note to those that wonder: No, the Wii U does NOT work the same as one of these dedicated upscaling boxes, so the results aren't the same either. The dedicated HDMI upscaler will provide better results with most games, while the Wii U in general just makes the image look better simply because you are using an HDMI connected console. Any upscaling/cleanup is therefore only marginal. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/01/nintendo_reconfirms_wii_u_will_not_make_wii_games_sharper

Gold

Gold said:

Maybe I'll buy this game for the 3rd time if an HD Collection/remake happens....

Maelstrom

Maelstrom said:

I am pretty sure that you can achieve these graphics on Dolphin, and that can be done legally by ripping your games to your computer. Unfortunately, the computer will have to be powerful and not all games run flawlessly

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

Wait a minute, you means to tell me that Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 aren't in HD? But they looked so real back then, especially the first game. I thought the Wii had HD graphics, because of Super Mario Galaxy. IF THE WII COULD DO THAT, THEN THE WII WILL RULE THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!

.....And then I went on the internet :P

Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh said:

Not that big of a difference to me either. If anything, your video just shows how unbelievably good Galaxy already looks at 480p. It's almost HD.

XyVoX

XyVoX said:

In reality art design and level geometry always trumps resolution, metroids a Prime example excuse the pun.

CharleSketch

CharleSketch said:

Some of these comments read as if they were written by a friend of mine who's out of contact with the modern world. He doesn't notices a single difference between a video clip in SD and in HD, or knows what an iPad is.

Mario Galaxy looks really beautiful in HD; and it's true, the developers intended for the game to be in SD, but that's because of their limitations back then. If this same game was made today, they'd focus on taking advantage of the HD and making the game pop out even more. Take a look at Wind Waker for example: made with the Gamecube limitations in mind, but it looks gorgeous with an HD coat. True, both WW and MG have aged really well visually, but wanting a pretty game to look even prettier shouldn't even be up for discussion.

That said, I'd love some sort of HD remake of at least the first Mario Galaxy on the Wii U, but it's very unlikely we'd ever get one with Wii mode implemented on the console already. Also, I'd rather have Nintendo focus their people on new projects... or Smash. Yeah, just hurry up on Smash Bros., will ya? At least give us the official title.

Ibrahim77X

Ibrahim77X said:

Twas a tough decision between Skyward Sword and SSBB, but I ultimately chose Skyward Sword since we're getting a HD SSB.

dadajo

dadajo said:

I miss Xenoblade first time around so I absolutely would buy it the day it came out if it were to come out in hd. But I just thought of something. Nintendo make something like Super Mario Allstars 2 where you remake 64, sunshine, and galaxy 1 and 2 with wiiu graphics and hd from 3d world. (One can dream right?)

shinokami

shinokami said:

Mario Galaxy HD would look like the Rosalina levels in Super Mario 3D world so this is not even close to that

Melkac

Melkac said:

@Goginho I can safely say you're wrong. You just need to connect a Wii to an HDTV to see the results.

If Nintendo made a "Wii HD Collection" that included Super Mario Galaxy 1+2, Metroid Prime 3, Skyward Sword and Fatal Frame 4 as an unlockable bonus (no Xenoblade Chronicles. They should include the game in "X"), I would totally try as hard as I can to get a Wii U.

Phle

Phle said:

It might sound weird, but I don't think The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword needs an HD remake. It looks great, I played it for the first time on my Wii U and I was amazed. I never thought that the graphics where lacking in any way. I would rather like to see a Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD remake. I loved Twilight Princess and I think the game could benefit a lot from HD graphics.

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

Skyward Sword would probably be a good game to do this with due to it's art style compared to Twilight Princess which would need a complete facelift as far as redoing models, textures & lighting.

TheRealThanos

TheRealThanos said:

@Moorpheel I'm sorry, but really? Did you set this video clip to the highest resolution and on full screen? Then you will see besides the sharper, cleaner look of the textures, that all the jagged edges have also disappeared. "Slightly less dark" doesn't even begin to describe the difference...

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

If they do announce a Super Mario Galaxy 3, then they better give us Super Mario Galaxy 1 + 2 HD Collection.

And as for the poll, it's a tough tie between Xenoblade & Skyward Sword. But I would much rather see Xenoblade's gorgeous landscapes in crisp HD!

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

Thats nice, but i dont want Ninty to do what Sony is doing right now on Vita and pretend like rereleasing old games with HD graphics is the same as making a new game. I wouldnt mind a really old game, like from the 64 era, getting that treatment, but GCN and Wii titles dont look that bad, and just need to be put on VC instead. An HD upgrade for Mario 64 would be great, as that game is very old and not in stores anymore. But Wii games dont need it. They already look fine, and are easily playable on WiiU.

The only Wii game i'd care to see in HD is Xenoblade, but thats only really because i want it to be rereleased so that Gamestop cant charge $90 anymore.

Wind Waker HD is a great game and all, but it did next to nothing outside of a quicker boat and slightly better graphics than the GCN version. I'd have much rather them not made it at all and just put all that time into the next Zelda on WiiU. Wind Waker was already one of the most beautiful games ever made, and didnt need the upgrade at all. It should have just been released on VC like all GCN games should.

If they want to rerelease games in HD, fine, but they need to do more than just make the graphics better. New levels, secrets, unlockables, and game modes. Something that would actually make people that already own the original version want to buy the same game another time. Graphics arent enough to justify a $50-60 purchase. I'd rather them make a brand new Mario, Zelda or Metroid than simply rerelease an old one that is the exact same game i already paid for a few years ago, but a little shinier.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Samurai_Goroh It looks great on a CRT (Even at 480i using RGB). Nowhere near as good on a Plasma via component. The thing is if Nintendo wasn't interested in reselling the same game over and over again then they could have just put supersampling into the Wii U for Wii games.

skywake

skywake said:

It's funny, I played most of the games on the Wii U on a 32" LCD TV. In my mind Galaxy looked exactly like the HD version of it here. Memory up-scales everything.

Technosphile

Technosphile said:

How about Goldeneye HD, with Nintendo Network support? I can think of a few people who would buy a U for that.

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

@ajcismo While you and I would see it as a golden opportunity, many others would see it as Nintendo milking the cow because they are lazy.

I'd love to see SM64, Sunshine, Twilight Princess, MM, all the Prime Trilogy and Other M (YES I went there! LoL!), and many other games remade in HD.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

I would say Metroid Prime 3...but I know a better choice...Metroid Prime Trilogy. :p

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

@bezerker99 Me too!!! Let's stands together brother (or sister if you're a girl, ;-) ) against the angry mob that awaits us for liking Other M! LOL! ;-)

TheRealThanos

TheRealThanos said:

@Mizore That would then be an HD remake of a remake, not gonna happen, although it would deserve it so I agree with you as far as that is concerned.
@Dark-Link73 A quick look at his profile should have answered that question for you... ;)

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

@Technosphile Which GoldenEye? N64 version or the Wii remake? N64: Not happening as long as M$ owns Rare. Wii: Not happening because it'd be a remake of a remake. This is Nintendo we're taking about here, not CAPCOM, lol! Besides, Activision already made an HD version of the Wii version for PS3 and 360 and it didn't do nearly as good as the Wii version. Activision doesn't even wasn't to make DLC for U, I doubt they'll make an HD remake of their remake.

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

@bizcuthammer The only thing is that Wind Waker HD only took a couple months and was done by a team consisting mostly of people uninvolved in the main Zelda development team.

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

@TheRealThanos While you're right about that, I don't bother with checking out profiles in blogs and forums anymore. I have learned over the years that people trend to lie in their profile, specially about their age and gender. ;-)

TheRealThanos

TheRealThanos said:

@Dark-Link73 That must then either be an age or an insecurity thing, I don't know. At my age (43), I don't feel the need to do that nor did I ever since I've always been quite comfortable with who I am. The only thing we all do is give ourselves an online name and that is no more than logical to me, if only to preserve some measure of privacy; wouldn't want irate gamers and fanboys to spam my professional online pages and profiles... ;)

Technosphile

Technosphile said:

@Dark-Link73 you're not telling me anything I don't know. I'm playing Goldeneye Wii as we speak, which Nintendo is going to kill off forever in three months time. A guy can dream.

Blue-Thunder

Blue-Thunder said:

I really don't want Nintendo wasting development time making HD updates. I want new games. Thank you very much.
I already have most Nintendo games made for home consoles and I have no intention of forking out more cash to play then again in HD.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

@TheRealThanos Actually Trilogy isn't really a remake...just a port of all 3 games together, modified to use Wii remote controls. (and some minor tweaking within the games here and there)

TheRealThanos

TheRealThanos said:

@PinkSpider It is done with Dolphin, a GameCube & Wii emulator for PC. You need quite a modern PC to get the most out of it, though. As a legal alternative, you could go for a solution such as I mentioned earlier in comment #54.
@Mizore Although I personally do agree with you, officially it is still considered a remake, same as Pikmin, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat and Mario Tennis for the Wii.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

I wanted to vote Other M, but Skyward Sword is more visually unique, so I picked that. As for Brawl, we've sorta already seen that in HD. And as for SMG2, it's visually identical to SMG so not much point in up-scaling that one.

Hard choices though. I also wanted to pick Corruption.

yuwarite

yuwarite said:

Pull this article down? It contradicts the community rules on discussion of emulators. And can we be 100% certain the writer legally ripped their copy of SMG?

Jared1984

Jared1984 said:

I'd love an HD DE-motion controlled version of skyward sword. Ultra slow start plus awful gimmicky controls had me sprinting to EB to trade it in.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

@Kirk I gotta agree with you. I've been playing Metroid Prime Trilogy on my Wii U, and honestly, I didn't miss high definition at all. I mean I almost couldn't tell it WAS standard definition. The graphics are just that good, but that's Retro for ya. It's almost hard to tell Donkey Kong Country Returns runs in SD.

@yuwarite "Talk or discussion about any unofficial emulators and/or ROMs. Linking to any download sites, torrents or other resources that allow users to gain access to illegal content, ROMs, emulators or related activities."

Nowhere does he mention any ROMs or emulators, nor did he link to any other sites. He's just showing us what it'd look like in HD.

And to be honest I don't think the HD up-scale makes a lot of difference. Most of these games look fantastic in SD.

Goginho

Goginho said:

@Melkac Hey, to you I'm wrong, to me I'm right ..soo, I guess we're dealing with subjectivity here then.

@PvtOttobot lol don't worry, I never meant you're an idiot :P
All I can say is, whatever floats your boat. SS is least in need of a HD remake / update imo. and I stand by that.
Now, I don't want to get into the gameplay side of things here, but I never had trouble with the motion controls of the harp, as well for anything else, but I can agree on the fact that the music aspect was a bit downplayed in this entry, considering the depth it had in previous games (when included), such as in OoT / MM, Awakening and Ages, even TP and WW. Overall, it's decent in SS and we have to take into consideration the fact that this is the first in the timeline, so things aren't going to be as developed as in the other entries, story-wise that is. I don't mind it at all tbh..
In the end though, different strokes for different folks :)

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Giygas_95 Apart from when they do - The translation mod for Fatal Frame - the piracy of a loader (Still piracy even if it is a piracy enabling thing) breaking the encryption and then break your system doing so. That was pretty recently.

(Do as we say not as we do applies here.)

yuwarite

yuwarite said:

@Giygas_95 How did the writer achieve this without the use of an emulator and a potentially illegally obtained ISO of SMG, then?

open

open said:

@Baum897 Ah for me - since I still have to play any of the galaxy games this would still be a new experience for me!

Epicnessofme99

Epicnessofme99 said:

Honestly, I still think they don't need it unless they do a total graphical overhaul like in Wind Waker and even then it's still a waste of time, they should HD remaster older games instead

open

open said:

If you think about HOW Wind Waker HD was born - do not be surprised if we see some more HD editions.

WW HD was made when Nintendo were experimenting with HD design, as they haven't had that much experience doing that kind of work. They said that WW looked so vitally fresh they decided to release it as a new edition.

But basically it was an exercise in HD development, and they sure were experimenting on other titles, so it would make sense that they do HD editions of older games, even if just for the practice.

It would probably be Gamecube games though as not as many people would have played GC games compared to Wii.

ICHIkatakuri

ICHIkatakuri said:

@6ch6ris6 I think metroid would benefit more from HD than the others too but would need for than just fancy graphics, like the spaceship at the beginning having more than 5 staff on it.

Ste

Ste said:

I voted for Skyward Sword out of those choices, but I would have rather voted for Twilight Princess or The Last Story.

3DSfan134

3DSfan134 said:

That music is calm and very peaceful but really I want that when I get a Wii U for my birthday and SSB4 :D

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Parasky Use the HTML5 video player. (Otherwise the framerate is capped at 30fps due to flash video) and set it to 720p - HD. If you are looking at a 360p video there is not going to be any noticable difference. (And looking at half the real framerate is pointless as well).

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Not even sure whether it is not capped at 30fps even with the HTML5 video player.

Just as pointless as the digital foundry ones where they only let you use the flash player.

Much easier to just host the files.

WWammy

WWammy said:

@Goginho I agree using wii on a good quality CRT TV gives the best picture quality and my guess is that people are using Wii with HD televisions is why they think the upscaling looks better

rbmoura85

rbmoura85 said:

If nintendo did this, i think they would apply shaders and new lightining effects, making it look much better then this, actually.

Anguspuss

Anguspuss said:

if you see the space most wii games no reason why with the drought of games ninterndo cant get there finger out and release hd versions of wii games. if wind walker gc game only took 6 months then we could have smg 1+2 plus heep of others for xmas 2014

RennanNT

RennanNT said:

If it were for the graphics only, Skyward Sword.

But rather than graphics, I would rather have Xenoblade's complex menu on the gamepad. It would speed up so much gameplay. Also, $70 for a used game is terrible, eShop would solved the problem, even with the scammers as they would have to drop the price.

EdwardCORE

EdwardCORE said:

It is amusing to read articles like that, considering that's Nintendo we are talking about, the very same company that thinks it is an amazing idea to have GBA games on the Wii U. Sorry, I really am a fan of Nintendo games and consoles, but something Nintendo doesn't have is a keen for marketing their own classic games. Since Nintendo can't even bring GBA games to 3DS, I got myself a modded PSP to run a dedicated GBA emulator. So, just as the Dolphin Emulator is the only way to play such games in HD, Nintendo is only destined to be the fondest maker of great emulated games.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

@yuwarite Again, remember that the rule just says not to MENTION any such emulators or ROMs, which he didn't. It does seem like an odd rule, however, and somewhat of a loophole. I don't really understand the rule because, if I recall correctly, this site posts news about emulators and ROMs quite frequently.

Melkac

Melkac said:

@Goginho It's not subjective, it's not even an opinion. It's a fact that most (if not all) Wii games look terrible on HDTVs.

EdwardCORE

EdwardCORE said:

@Burning_Spear @Goginho but this is the game in all its glory, since all you see in HD is already there, all textures and effects in all Wii and GC games are made with a higher resolution and then stripped down to fit the low specs of the Wii. So, the Wii game is basically a toned (a lot) down version of a game that could be easily ported with no effort for the Wii U, basically adjusting it to a higher settings. Anyone who ever played a Wii or GC game on Dolphin knows that. So the Wii version of this game is not a game in all its glory, but a game that has been prevented of achieving such glory.

Mahe

Mahe said:

Makes me want to replay the game. Looks much more interesting than Mario 3D World. Wonder how it would look on my Wii U?

@Melkac It's not fact, you just have a poorly compatible HDTV. Wii games look great through Wii U backwards compatibility and HDMI on my HDTV. Much better than the "SD" version in this video.

meltendo

meltendo said:

I would want any HD rereleases to be done in batches...not as a big event like Wind Waker. Give us an HD game every 3 months instead of only 1 a year. I would hate Nintendo to get lazy and believe they can simply release an HD game for the Holiday quarter instead of giving us something new.

Goginho

Goginho said:

@EdwardCORE Not a bad point. But I see it as the developers having SD in mind when creating these games, so they accomodate the visuals toward the technical capabilites. Maybe Mario (as with other character models) would benefit from an upscale, smoothing out some of the jaggies and what not, but some objects or environments would look unnatural or odd. It's kind of hard to explain, you have to look at the difference of some things in SD and HD, such as the lava for example, which in Galaxy's case looks a bit 'artificial' and 'solid' for my liking, especially since the bit of blur effect gets taken away, compared to how natural and authentic the lava looks in 3D World, which obviously had HD in mind from start to finish. All in all, HD is a positive thing, but I feel it unnecessary in this case, unless of course games get a full remake treatment such as with Wind Waker.

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

maybe its my computer, but there's not much hd-ness happening. remember when you showed that twilight princess re-texture? now THAT was awesome

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Goginho Thing is running SD on most modern TV's doesn't work right (Regardless of how it looks). Even if you have one of the best ones with less than 2 frames latency that doesn't apply to 480p over HDMI.

bbve

bbve said:

Best part is Nintendo would make it look better than this. Also, Twilight Princess and Mario Sunshine both need a remake before any of the titles listed.

Pichuka97

Pichuka97 said:

Hot damn, this looks good. If they added a few more features and tweaks, Nintendo would have another smash hit.

LightSuitGuy

LightSuitGuy said:

I still say that Metroid Prime 3 was one the best looking games on Wii. Retro did an amazing job with their inspiring art direction. Add the fact it was only SD, and that makes it all the more incredible.

SpaceBooger

SpaceBooger said:

Instead of remakes, is it impossible (from a technical standpoint) that there is a patch for the WiiU to play Wii games in a higher resolution, or is it limited by hardware?

blodermoder

blodermoder said:

@SpaceBooger Yeah, I also want to know! Instead of remaking the games in HD, Nintendo should instead release a new Wii Emulator that plays games in HD. It shouldn't be impossible!

2Sang

2Sang said:

I'd rather not have any wii remakes other than xenoblade. I'd prefer they focus on gamecube or maybe N64 remakes if any at all, The Wii games are playable on wii u already, are cheaper than wii u games, and are in recent memory for most gamers. It would be a bad move to remake wii games because they would simply not sell as many copies as older remakes cough Majora's mask*cough*

ModernMARVEL

ModernMARVEL said:

So I'll suppose that all games are going to be done, just what comes first is the one with the best votes.

WaveyChristmas

WaveyChristmas said:

Wan't a closer step to HD?, play your Wii games in 4:3(obviously with component cables, or HDMI on your Wii U) like they were ment to. Not that soft anamorphic ugly widescreen rubbish. ;)

manic_mario

manic_mario said:

Does anyone remember the WiiUmagine rumor that came out a few months ago? With the drought of quality games over the next few months, that needs to become a reality. It's a quick and easy way to bring back some classics (preferably N64 games) with an HD update. Even throw in the best from the GameCube to expand the library even more. So much untapped potential! Unfortunately, it will probably continue to go untapped with the way Nintendo has been with the Wii U...

AlmightyDerek

AlmightyDerek said:

The people who see no difference are crazy or leave the video on the default 240p resolution. There's a huge difference. I love HD remasters. You get the original look of the game mostly preserved but with all the little issues fixed. Also even if a game is pretty in 480p it would be even prettier in 1080p. I'm an old school gamer who's been playing since the NES days and I'm all for technology. As long as the original gameplay shines through better or at least cleaned up graphics are always welcome.

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

Xenoblade Chronicles and Skyward Sword on Wii U with 1080p/60fps would be quite something. Would definitely buy both.

Same with Last Story and Pandora's Tower.

Or alternatively and cheaper solution would be to release a system update that would make it possible to launch Wii disc games straight from Wii U without going to the Wii mode and then upscaling the games to 720/1080p.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Anybody else wanna see Sunshine remade? Even though it was a Game Cube game, the graphics still impress even today.

rbmoura85

rbmoura85 said:

@EdwardCORE Nintendo releases oot 3d and wind waker hd, fans complain of too much remakes ...Nintendo doesnt reliese majoras mask hd or xenoblade hd, fans complain of not enough remakes

Aint internet hell ?

panzerjedi

panzerjedi said:

I absolutely love this song from Super Mario Galaxy. Makes me want to play the game every single time I hear it.

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

Actually this ISN'T HD. HD is more than just upscaling to 1080p with an emulator. You also need to increase the resolution of the textures and models. (more polygons).

To see this, use Dolphin to play The Wind Waker GC in HD, then play it on the Wii U.

Kafei2006

Kafei2006 said:

@NintendoDolphin If I had stolen them yes, but I own the games. Nintendo has no right, per European law, to forbid me to use the software that I purchased any way that I want, so long as I don't make any illegal profit out of it, or copy it to re-distribute. Besides dolphin doesn't run on roms, it runs on isos :P.

trugs26

trugs26 said:

Doing a HD remake of Galaxy 1 and 2 would be a waste of time. They look good enough. There are so many N64 games that would actually benefit from a HD remake. If not those, then new games is what I want. Remakes of Wii and GCN games are a waste of time. They're perfectly playable and look good enough.

stonework

stonework said:

What it would have looked like? You have it right in front of your eyes, it's called 3D World.

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

If you're going to high def a game, do it to a game barely anyone played 10-15 years ago so we can rediscover it.

That or Tetris HD.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@SanderEvers Whether it is HD or not depends on the resolution and that is it. This emulator does a better job than lots (most ?) stuff that is released as HD. (e.g recently Resident Evil 4 HD). Not even sure whether this is using super sampling at maximum or not. (Which obviously can be done in advance for such as Nintendo).

And Nintendo's modern stuff is upscaled 720p.

Hardy83

Hardy83 said:

Mario Galaxy 1 &2
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Xenoblade
Zelda Skyward sword

They should all get HD remakes and be sold for $40.
Also they should have optional regular control options, since the motion controls hurt some of the games CoughSkywardCough. :P

koelboel

koelboel said:

Very nice, but I quickly sorta forgot about the visual and started focusing on the music. The Galaxy soundtrack is just sick.

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

@NintendoDolphin
Illegal? Yes.
Morally wrong? IMO, only if you don't currently physically own the game. That or the game costs $150 on eBay and may never see a VC release.
Either way, will you get caught? Nah. The servers hosting ROMs can get shut down if the owners aren't careful, but nobody gets arrested for downloading ROMs.

I don't condone piracy, but downloading games that the original creators no longer make money off of (a.k.a. Every game out of print without a VC release) is a different story.

Nareva

Nareva said:

Other than Xenoblade, which I haven't played, I would much rather Nintendo worked on new games. If they do more HD ports it should be of older games. SMG is great, but way too recent. Maybe more GC games like Wind Waker, which was excellent.

seronja

seronja said:

could you please do metroid prime 3, metroid other m, tloz: skyward sword & xenoblade chronicles? i would really love to see how would these games look in ful 1080p HD

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

@SanderEvers
It is HD. The term "HD" only applies to the resolution. Of course, an official HD remake would likely clean up the graphics, replace the textures with higher rez ones, throw in some more polygons, and perhaps add some graphical effects (<3 light bloom), but it doesn't have to be done in that manner to be considered "HD."

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@NintendoROCKET Of course they could however people would be less willing to pay full price in 5 years if they did that. (Doing it would have generated significant goodwill though).

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

@Goginho WW was my favourite, with MM/OoT coming 2nd and TP third. Skyward Sword just felt unpolished and depressing (mostly due to the irony of it's lively style, yet extremely deprpressing story and locations) to me. I hope the new Zelda is MM esque, with TP style graphics (but HD), with the same awesome 'upgrade your weapons/items' thing from SS and the feeling of freedom from WW. I know it won't happen, but I can dream :)

Hyperstar96

Hyperstar96 said:

@NintendoDolphin No, it's not. Downloading ROMs of game you don't (and possibly do, but that's questionable) own is illegal, but ripping your own ROMs/ISOs is perfectly legal.

Goginho

Goginho said:

@PvtOttobot lol kinda ironic how you find SS depressing, yet you hope for the next Zelda to be like MM, which was one of the deepest and saddest of them all to me :P
Yea, I git ..every Zelda game has high highs, and low lows. I don't think there is a single Zelda game that has everything down and perfected, not even OoT, which imo. is as perfect as a Zelda game can get, but to be fair to the others, the combat system doesn't age well (which is quite simplistic for today's standards, but everything else is top notch about the game; story...etc..), despite still being classic and fun. I hope the next one will have all the best elements from the series jam packed.
..on second thought, I almost forgot about Between Worlds, which, when I think about it, does a lot of things amazingly well, and has very few things that I feel are out of place or wrong. The only thing I can think of is that the dungeons are a bit on the shorter side (still very enjoyable though).
So all in all, Between World is going in the right direction of a perfect Zelda game, and I only expect the next, the upcoming console game to expand upon it and be out of this world. And I do hope for a more varied experience, not just sticking to one theme or motive. I loved the seriousness and thematic of MM, as I loved the vibrance of WW and the cinematics and emotions, as well as motion controls of SS, and so I hope they add both ends and as much in between as possible, you know -the best of all the worlds, and not just choose one theme and stick to it. Have sky elements, flying on the Loftwing again, then riding Epona through fields like from TP, and sail the seas again. Have really dark and hopeless parts, like the first time you're a wolf in TP, and have majestic and triumphant parts..etc... SS was great, but it was too safe imo.. They had a water part where you ride a boat, but that was just a little too little for my liking.
Whew, anyway lol :P yea, I expect a great game and I have high hopes for the next one. I do know that I'd be satisfied, because that's how Nintendo rolls. They do pay attention to quality for that matter.

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

I would rather have New HD games as the old ones were fine to begin with. Judging by the video,it wouldn't be a drastic change tbh. Most HD remakes tends to still look the same as the original game either way. Very rare ocassions like Wind Waker for example tend to stand out with the remake over most other HD remakes.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

@Goginho I just didn't like the ironic depression (for ex. Super Mario Sunshine, had a very depressing feel {Mario jailed, the inhabitants lifestyle being ruined and a father manipulating his son to get a hold of a woman!} but was set on a go easy tropical island full of colour, the contrast makes me feel sick with depression, instead of exited by the creepiness {MM}). I really do love OoT, but being only like 8 when I played it on GCN (along with WW in the special 2 disk game), I preferred WW due to it's more friendly puzzles and it's near perfect (to this day) graphics. I still haven't gotten to play ALBW unfortunately but I have high hopes and it's defos my birthday game (this April), I'll probably also ask for money to pick up MK8 when it comes out :) Anyway, I would buy the Zelda game you just described :D can't wait for this E3!!!!!!

FineLerv

FineLerv said:

I gave up on Skyward Sword and I never got to play Xenoblade so that gets my vote.

Williaint

Williaint said:

All I'm gonna say is "Yawn." I'm not impressed.
Besides, we don't need a new Super Mario Game for a while — especially not remakes.

There were none on the list that I'd like to see re-done in HD.

FineLerv

FineLerv said:

Why do commenters think they're entitled to tell NintendoLife what they can and can't post? Just make your own website if you want to control the content.

WaveyChristmas

WaveyChristmas said:

@Williaint
Even if Super Mario Galaxy were revamped to 1080p, as is, i still wouldn't replay it. It wasn't even that great to begin with. :p Upping the resolution, textures(ect) doesn't make for a worth while 2nd play through, unless things in the game or controls are changed for the better, like in Wind Waker HD.

Nico07

Nico07 said:

@Undead_terror I agree Twilight would look great. Sony and Microsoft weren't above and still aren't above HD remakes. While Nintendo is creating new content HD remakes can fill the void. Its worked for Wind Waker..

Williaint

Williaint said:

@WaveBoy Since 'Galaxy' is still just a last gen game (Though the idea of Mario 128 has been around for longer), it doesn't need to be remade. I don't want it to happen, but I'd rather see Majora's Mask be redone before the 'Galaxy' games do... Anyway, WaveBoy, I support your stance against the tediously pointless updated graphics. There isn't much more you could do to make the controls better. You could probably find Galaxy one and two in a package for $20 or less.
Going through the list, again, there aren't any that really need an HD update or remake. I'm not going to criticize NL's choice of articles, but this idea just doesn't have enough merit as a stand-outty article.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I'm impressed Super Mario Galaxy has aged so well! Sure, the HD version is more crisp & has better lighting, but it's not that big of a difference that it's like night & day. I would still buy Super Mario Galaxy HD of course, as I do every Mario game, but it's definitely not a necessary upgrade. I want to see Xenoblade Chronicles (my #1 favourite game of all time ever) get the HD treatment!

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

i'm going to add the last story, i would love a hd version of that (nintendo really need to work with mistwalker on a second one too).

ROBLOGNICK

ROBLOGNICK said:

I don't think any of the games listed need an HD remaster any time soon.

I'd rather see Super Mario Sunshine, Starfox, F-Zero or maybe Chibi Robo.

biglee

biglee said:

None of the above. The real question is, why is LoZ Twilight Princess not on the list? IMO Twilight Princess is in need of an HD remake far above any other (major) first party Wii title. I certainly wouldn't mind a TP and SS HD bundle though. I'd buy it in a heart beat. As for Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, they still look amazing just the way they are.

Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike said:

The difference is barely noticeable TBH, it's just slightly brighter graphics and maybe slightly more detail. I don't think it's really worth it giving Wii games an HD remaster, they should work with N64 and Gamecube games first.

SuprisedStar

SuprisedStar said:

@Swiket @Kafei2006 @ToastyYogurt @Hyperstar96 Sigh...

What are Nintendo ROMS?

A Nintendo ROM ("Read Only Memory") is the type of chip used in Nintendo's video game cartridge which contains the game software. However, this term is commonly used on many gaming sites on the Internet and refers to game data that was copied from an authentic Nintendo video game cartridge.

What is a Nintendo Video Game Emulator?

A Nintendo emulator is a software program that is designed to allow game play on a platform that it was not created for. A Nintendo emulator allows for Nintendo console based or arcade games to be played on unauthorized hardware. The video games are obtained by downloading illegally copied software, i.e. Nintendo ROMs, from Internet distributors. Nintendo ROMs then work with the Nintendo emulator to enable game play on unauthorized hardware such as a personal computer, a modified console, etc.

Can I Download a Nintendo ROM from the Internet if I Already Own the Authentic Game?

There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet.

How Does Nintendo Feel About the Emergence of Video Game Emulators?

The introduction of emulators created to play illegally copied Nintendo software represents the greatest threat to date to the intellectual property rights of video game developers. As is the case with any business or industry, when its products become available for free, the revenue stream supporting that industry is threatened. Such emulators have the potential to significantly damage a worldwide entertainment software industry which generates over $15 billion annually, and tens of thousands of jobs.

What Does Nintendo Think of the Argument that Emulators are Actually Good for Nintendo Because it Promotes the Nintendo Brand to PC Users and Leads to More Sales?

Distribution of an emulator developed to play illegally copied Nintendo software hurts Nintendo's goodwill, the millions of dollars invested in research & development and marketing by Nintendo and its licensees. Substantial damages are caused to Nintendo and its licensees. It is irrelevant whether or not someone profits from the distribution of an emulator. The emulator promotes the play of illegal ROMs , NOT authentic games. Thus, not only does it not lead to more sales, it has the opposite effect and purpose.

How Come Nintendo Does Not Take Steps Towards Legitimizing Nintendo Emulators?

Emulators developed to play illegally copied Nintendo software promote piracy. That's like asking why doesn't Nintendo legitimize piracy. It doesn't make any business sense. It's that simple and not open to debate.

People Making Nintendo Emulators and Nintendo ROMs are Helping Publishers by Making Old Games Available that are No Longer Being Sold by the Copyright Owner. This Does Not Hurt Anyone and Allows Gamers to Play Old Favorites. What's the Problem?

The problem is that it's illegal. Copyrights and trademarks of games are corporate assets. If these vintage titles are available far and wide, it undermines the value of this intellectual property and adversely affects the right owner. In addition, the assumption that the games involved are vintage or nostalgia games is incorrect. Nintendo is famous for bringing back to life its popular characters for its newer systems, for example, Mario and Donkey Kong have enjoyed their adventures on all Nintendo platforms, going from coin-op machines to our latest hardware platforms. As a copyright owner, and creator of such famous characters, only Nintendo has the right to benefit from such valuable assets.

Isn't it Okay to Download Nintendo ROMs for Games that are No Longer Distributed in the Stores or Commercially Exploited? Aren't They Considered "Public Domain"?

No, the current availability of a game in stores is irrelevant as to its copyright status. Copyrights do not enter the public domain just because they are no longer commercially exploited or widely available. Therefore, the copyrights of games are valid even if the games are not found on store shelves, and using, copying and/or distributing those games is a copyright infringement.

Haven't the Copyrights for Old Games Expired?

U.S. copyright laws state that copyrights owned by corporations are valid for 75 years from the date of first publication. Because video games have been around for less than three decades, the copyrights of all video games will not expire for many decades to come.

Are Game Copying Devices Illegal?

Yes. Game copiers enable users to illegally copy video game software onto floppy disks, writeable compact disks or the hard drive of a personal computer. They enable the user to make, play and distribute illegal copies of video game software which violates Nintendo's copyrights and trademarks. These devices also allow for the uploading and downloading of ROMs to and from the Internet. Based upon the functions of these devices, they are illegal.

Can Websites and/or Internet Content Providers be Held Liable for Violation of Intellectual Property Rights if they are Only Providing Links to Illegal Software and/or Other Illegal Devices?

Yes. Personal Websites and/or Internet Content Providers sites That link to Nintendo ROMs, Nintendo emulators and/or illegal copying devices can be held liable for copyright and trademark violations, regardless of whether the illegal software and/or devices are on their site or whether they are linking to the sites where the illegal items are found.

How Do I Report Potential Infringements to Nintendo Products?

To report infringing items on internet auction sites, please call us at 1-800-255-3700 or e-mail us at auctionpiracy@noa.nintendo.com

To report ROM sites, emulators, Game Copiers, Counterfeit manufacturing, or other illegal activities, please call us at 1-800-255-3700 or e-mail us at piracyscene@noa.nintendo.com

For any other legal inquiry or concern, please call us at 1-800-255-3700 or e-mail us at noalegal@noa.nintendo.com

For more information on piracy issues regarding the videogame industry, please visit the Entertainment Software Association's website at www.theESA.com.

Quoted from the Nintendo legal support. Don't believe me? Look them up. Oh and ISOs are the disk form of ROMs.

Kafei2006

Kafei2006 said:

@NintendoDolphin FInd me a source that mentions European law and we'll see.

Besides, even if it was illegal here (which I know for a fact isn't, as you are allowed to make a backup copy of any DVD/CD/Software/Book for your personal use to either allow readability on a different type of media reader AND/OR to avoid damaging the original support, as previously ruled by the High European Court of Justice. Redistribution is however forbidden for very good reason) I wouldn't be damaging anyone's business since I own the games (heck, I own nearly 80 Wii games XD), so I'd like to see anyone sue me for it. The great thing about Europe is that you are not forced to pay for any lawyer upfront, the losing party has to pay for both entities ;), as to ensure that the richer can't always win because they can afford the best lawyers.

SuprisedStar

SuprisedStar said:

"Don't think US laws apply to everyone, you're not yet masters of the world (a common American misconception :P)."

Didn't say that genius. |:/

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

@NintendoDolphin
....If you actually understood my comment, you would understand that Nintendo's Piracy FAQ doesn't apply to what I said. I acknowledged it's illegal. But as far as I believe, it's not truly piracy unless the creators of the product aren't currently making money off of it. Take Mother 3 for example. Currently out of print, and will very likely never see a VC release anywhere other than Japan, seeing as there's no official translation anywhere else. Copies on eBay skyrocket to prices higher than most people would be willing to pay for a GBA game. And even if you did manage to grab a copy, you'd need to know Japanese to actually understand it. Nintendo, Itoi, and the developers involved aren't making any money off of it at the current time, and even if they eventually do begin making money off of it again, it would likely be only available in Japan. Therefore, I don't think it's wrong to grab the ROM, an emulator, and the translation patch to play the game.
Another instance is me trying to set up an emulator to play Double Dash online with some far away friends. I'd never be able to get together with them in real life to play, and I own an actual copy, so I don't think I'm doing wrong.
Yes, in both of these cases, I am breaking the law. But the law can be very stingy at times. I get that it's trying to protect the ability of a business to make money, and I respect that. But if it's an instance where the company won't lose money from my actions, then I don't think it's a bad idea. I frown upon piracy in other instances.