Nintendo Download: 20th March (North America)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Pokémon battles, chess, discounts, freebies and more

It's that time, North America, when Nintendo lets you know what download treats await you on the Wii U and 3DS this week. There are new download-only titles on both platforms, while there are also freebies on each through a trial and retail demo. Throw in discounts across the systems and there'll hopefully be something for everyone; have a look below to see if you'll be spending any cash.

Missed this week's European Download update details on Monday? Don't worry, all of the info is right here.

Wii U eShop

Pure Chess (Ripstone, $7.99) — Arriving perhaps a little later than expected, this title — developed by VooFoo — arrives with some attractive HD visuals on the Wii U, as well as multiple control schemes, modes and tutorials. Most exciting is the news that online matches will be cross-platform between Wii U, 3DS, Android and iOS players, greatly opening up a world of opponents. We've conducted an extensive interview with VooFoo Studios to learn more, and our review will follow soon.

Wii U Virtual Console

Volleyball (Nintendo, $4.99) — Nintendo continues to release its basic sports range from the NES era onto its shiny new system, this time taking to the court for some Volleyball shenanigans. Unfortunately, we thought this was rubbish in our Wii Virtual Console Volleyball review, but we'll take another look.

Wii U eShop Retail Download

Hello Kitty Cruisers (Bergsala Lightweight, $19.95) — Available from 21st March.

Wii U eShop Promotion

Wii Sports Club (Nintendo, free) — Free access to Wii Sports Club: Tennis, Wii Sports Club: Bowling and Wii Sports Club: Golf from 21st March at 9am Pacific until 23rd March at 11:59pm Pacific.

Wii U eShop Temporary Discounts

Darksiders II (Nordic, $19.99 until 1st April)

Jeopardy! (Nordic, $19.99 until 1st April)

Wheel of Fortune (Nordic, $19.99 until 1st April)

3DS eShop

Pokémon Battle Trozei (Nintendo, $7.99) — Known as Pokémon Link: Battle! in Europe, this incorporates match-3 puzzling with battles and the age-old activity of collecting pocket monsters. With four player co-op and all of the Pokémon included, including those from X & Y, this is a fun hybrid experience perfectly suited to 3DS-owning 'mon fans. We gave this a strong recommendation in our Pokémon Battle Trozei review.

Pure Chess (Ripstone, $7.99) — This is the same title as that on the Wii U, albeit substituting HD visuals for autostereoscopic 3D. We'll provide reviews of both versions.

Yumi's Odd Odyssey (Natsume, $29.99) — This is the first time the puzzle-platform series has made it outside of Japan, with the eShop providing a localised outlet for Natsume. We'll get working on a review and let you know what we think.

3DS eShop Temporary Discounts

Mutant Mudds (Renegade Kid, $6.30 until 3rd April, normally $8.99)

ATV Wild Ride 3D (Renegade Kid, $5.60 until 3rd April, normally $7.99)

Bomb Monkey (Renegade Kid, $2.10 until 3rd April, normally $2.99)

3DS eShop Retail Download Demo

Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars (Atlus, free) — Available from 25th March.

Those are your options this week, North America. Let us know if you're planning to pick any of these up in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (429 votes)

Pure Chess (Wii U eShop)

Volleyball (Wii U Virtual Console)

Hello Kitty Cruisers (Wii U eShop retail download)

Darksiders II (Wii U eShop temporary discount)

Jeopardy! (Wii U eShop temporary discount)

Wheel of Fortune (Wii U eShop temporary discount)

Pokémon Battle Trozei (3DS eShop)

26%

Pure Chess (3DS eShop)

Yumi's Odd Odyssey (3DS eShop)

Mutant Mudds (3DS eShop temporary discount)

ATV Wild Ride 3D (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Bomb Monkey (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Just the Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars demo for me

10%

I'll try Wii Sports Club for free, nothing else

Nothing for me this week

25%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Blast

Blast said:

I'm getting Darksiders 2 for my Wii U and that Conception demo for my 3DS! Finally!!!! A good week! :)

ikki5

ikki5 said:

Wow, I grew concerned when I saw 100% for "Nothing for me this week". Then I looked at the number of votes and saw this:
"What will you be downloading first this week? (1 vote)"

This is the first time I have even seem myself being the first vote :D

Ha ha, but yeah, nothing but trash for the Wii U this week.

They seem to be doing a lot of Wii Sports Club promotions it seems. I am beginning to wonder if they are starting to see that it is really not kicking up as much as they had hoped...

HeroOfCybertron

HeroOfCybertron said:

I'm getting Pokémon Battle Trozei, Yumi's Odd Odyssey looks interesting but not at $30 I'll wait for a sale and I'll also be downloading the Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars demo.

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

I'm getting Yumi's Odd Oddesy and I'll be taking advantage of the Wii Sports Club deal

EDIT: After reading about Pure Chess, I'll even get that as well.

Zemus-DJ

Zemus-DJ said:

Not a bad week :) Darksiders II for my WiiU
Pokemon Trozei, Pure Chess & Conception Demo for my 3DS ^.^

Though I do hope at some point they ramp up the 3DS VC for more consoles/handhelds

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Getting Trozei, and I could get Yumi at full price if it gets good reviews. Darksiders would be tempting if I had a hard drive.

rjejr

rjejr said:

JeoparDY, not JeoparTy. The highlighted link.

I was really excited, thought we were getting a Pokemon chess set. That would be cool.

Sports Club free for everybody, right? Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Have to say, pretty busy week all around, nice.

Is there a review forthcoming for Yumi's Odd Odyssey? I never read up on it when it came out in Japan.

Gustoff

Gustoff said:

So with all the Renegade Kid discounts this week, does that mean that the release of Moon Chronicles is imminent? Sure hope so, been waiting for that game.

kensredemption

kensredemption said:

Happy week for me, it seems. Ha ha ha. I've been meaning to wrap up Darksiders II, and my mom loves anything Hello Kitty related. That, plus I've been going rabid for anything that would promote cross-platform capabilities. For the first time in a long time, I'm dumping most of my paycheck on Nintendo. Woo!

FishieFish

FishieFish said:

"3DS eShop Retail Download
Yumi's Odd Odyssey (Natsume, $29.99)"

I thought that was a digital only release?

Keion

Keion said:

Wonderful~
The Conception II demo is out! I'm pretty excited about owning this game!

ReshiramZekrom

ReshiramZekrom said:

Sorry if it was mentioned before in a different article, but does Pure Chess (specifically the 3DS version) teach you how to play chess? I want to try it out but I know almost absolutely nothing about chess. If yes, then Pure Chess will be a purchase from me alongside Pokémon Battle Trozei (which of course is a given considering my username)

mystman12

mystman12 said:

I'll be getting Pokemon Battle Trozei. I'm hoping the catch 'em all aspect will keep me addicted longer than most puzzle games. (Usually, if my only goal is to beat the high score, then I don't stay addicted very long)

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

Thanks @ThomasBW84 cant believe. it slipped by me, I check every Monday at 10:30 for this update and refresh every so often till it's posted. Must be blind.
Definitely chess and castlevania today.

Nice of Konami to give us castlevania IV and I, and mirror of fate, but turns their back on us with Lord of Shadow 2.

Would have been nice to see a port of lord of shadows 1 and 2, and Metal Gear 5 along with working out, legally, how to give us Twin Snakes in HD, the single greatest metal gear game ever made.

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

Pokémon Battle Trozei, Pure Chess, and the demo for me.

Already have a physical copy of Darksiders and really recommend it at that price for anyone who's held off!

DiscoGentleman

DiscoGentleman said:

No way! I was just looking on amazon to buy Darksiders II for 30-40$! Great timing! Will def get this, be playin' some Wii Sports, AND Trozei. A good week!

Oh, and Conception demo and Pure Chess for Wii U.

Great week!

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

Hello Kitty Kruiser's? YES!! Looking more & more forward to april when I get my wii u hello Hello Kitty! :D

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

Nice week to download. Going to download Pokémon Battle Trozei when it's time and Pure Chess (WiiU) when I get home from work.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

It's a little steep, but I'm thinking Yumi's Odd Odyssey to support the Umihara Kawase series FINALLY making the jump west.

2Sang

2Sang said:

SMB3 Please undastand
Having good games on vc ever. Please undastand
Satisfying fans.Please undastand

Maybe I'll pick up bomb monkey anyways.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

POkemon Trozei for sure, and Conception II demo.

I also recommend Bomb Monkey and Mutant Mudds. Two awesome games right there.

hcfwesker

hcfwesker said:

If it takes so long to get games from Wii Shop to WiiU eShop; why, oh god why, are they picking these games thinking that's what we're wanting. Bravo, NOA!

Probably get Pure Chess for WiiU just to have something to buy. Online matches concern me with this one; like how long a chess match can take and what if a losing player decides to exit the game when they know they're beat.

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

NES volleyball? Oh my that's as far away from appealing as it gets for me. That's not a slow drip of releases anymore, that's just bad and enough to repel people from checking what's new on the VC.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Tasuki The PAL region 3DS VC Release of Super Mario Bros 3 is not 100% right with any luck for you that is the reason it hasn't been released. (Like playing it with input lag).

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

FYI - Yumi's Odd Odyssey has been updated as an eShop-only entry now, so thanks to those that pointed that out. We will be reviewing it, too.

@ScorpionMG Unfortunately that Wii Sports Club trial this weekend is NA only.

shigulicious

shigulicious said:

I'm gonna be playing a lot of chess. If anyone wants to play, feel free to send me a request. shigulicious .

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

You know this VC stuff is getting old fast. Sure it takes some effort to touch up a game but come on, 90% of the emulator code can be reused on every game. They could drop every single rom they have on the same emulator and all but a small handful would work perfectly.

They're already got a lot of emulators built up to n64, there's some games I'd like to play that I missed the first time around and would really prefer to pay for them but nintendo sure isn't helping me.

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

I picked up 007 Legends from Amazon yesterday for $10. I probably will be playing Call of Bond this weekend. I've already played the first four chapters on Xbox, but thought it was worth picking up at that price for a generic FPS that actually still has a T Rating.

Just wish it had Off-TV play, as it will limit when I can play it. At least there is Wii Sports Club free weekend to mess around with, although I am not a fan of the golf so far (too realistic now).

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

@shigulicious I'm hoping to get the game. When you're looking for players online don't forget to mention it in the "chess club! / pure chess" thread. I hope we can get enough people here to do a tournament!

NbaJunkie

NbaJunkie said:

Ill be buying Pure chess on Wiiu, and on my phone too.Im really tempted to buy Darksiders2.But it seems to have too much god of war for my liking. Finally a halfway decent VC week..

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

I'll be downloading the Conception demo on my Vita. Really curious about Yumi's Odd Odyssey, but I'm trying to save some money, so I probably won't be getting this for a while. The chess game sounds like fun, but same deal. I have money put aside for Mario 3, and nothing else.

ericwithcheese2

ericwithcheese2 said:

@ReshiramZekrom From the article posted about it last week:

"Newcomers needn't be scared off by the game’s huge chess cred, either: the title aims to expand the audience of players by offering a set of tutorials to hone your skills."

It doesn't specifically say a tutorial is in the 3DS version, but I can't see why it wouldn't be. :)

Heiki

Heiki said:

Another week and again nothing that interests me. They have such a great chance to bring more VC games to fill the release gap on Wii U, but they just give us some random NES game no one wants. We've had only one direct this year, so Nintendo seems really laid back to me.
I don't really care about indies, and that seems to be the only thing that's been coming to eShop lately. Oh well, I guess that just means my money is going to Sony platforms for a while.

noctowl

noctowl said:

Already have darksiders 2... But I'm stuck on it. Oh well.

Pure chess is free on the App Store right now.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@Unca_Lz possibly, but right now they're not even releasing anything anyone cares about. There are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of old games out there for the various systems they have emulators for. 64-bit era and above would be harder to do and cost more money, but 16-bit and below is stupid easy. Even restricting it to just those games there's a huge library. I know licensing issues come into play but it wouldn't be hard to get these(specially since they already have agreements for a lot of them).

I'm just getting frustrated because at this point it's really starting to look like nintendo doesn't care about the wiiU at all. Of their first party games hardly any use the second screen for anything beyond off tv play or some little gimmick. If they want to sell the second screen, SELL IT. There's nothing being released until may, and after that there's going to be a huge gap to the end of the year unless they have some major surprise in store. Despite that huge drought they're not even giving us any VC games. I've been a huge supporter of the wiiU but it's just starting to seem like they really don't care at all.

Porky

Porky said:

Finally! A Nintendo published virtual console game! How long has it been since we got one?

Xcape_DuCkMAN_X

Xcape_DuCkMAN_X said:

Instead of releasing Mario 3 in the states, they decide to release an offensively weak game like Vollyball on the VC. At least give us Pro Wrestling, or something fun.

Discostew

Discostew said:

@Yorumi Licensing does prevent many titles from being released, but I'm really getting annoyed that some games that have been released in all regions back in the day have yet to do so in VC form on the Wii U. Final Fantasy VI and Secret of Mana are just two of the games I'm still waiting for in NA. But then there are other games like SMB3 that, if I'm not mistaken, was promised months ago, and yet here we are without it.

Looking at all these sports titles, I'm seriously wondering if this has anything to do with EA and the sour relationship they have together. If Nintendo's answer to not having EA's support of sports titles is by releasing their own sports titles from back on the NES, then Nintendo seriously has problems. Nintendo needs to re-evaluate their stance on VC. Don't just release games just to have games. Release games that interest people. Release big-name titles. What does it take (in terms of costs) to release their own highly-rated games as well as 3rd-party ones?

JustinH

JustinH said:

Yumi's Odd Oddessy is a must for me, but download-only at $33 plus tax (thanks for singling out us Canadians!) I'll wait for a sale.

How come no one is revving up their engines for Hello Kitty Kruisers?!

sonicfanatic

sonicfanatic said:

every week there are people posting about a lack of Super Mario bros. 3 which is completely 100% justified it's been like 3 months since Nintendo announced it would be hitting the virtual console I come on that is just sad

OGGamer

OGGamer said:

What in the world happened to Ballpoint universe ? It was supposed to be released on the 18th . Answers please PLEASE...

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

@Sandro89 if it was on wii u people would complain the game is too simple and that the display being on the tv is useless because people would only be looking at the gamepad since that's where the touch screen is

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@Discostew Their own games would cost almost nothing. I'm a programer and I've actually built an emulator, not one that's available it was just for my own self-learning. Once the emulator is built(on the wiiU that's already done for snes and nes) that's all the work. Every game has it's own quirks from time to time, but I'm not exaggerating when I say easily 90% of the emulator code will work perfectly for most games. That means for their own games they need a programer and a bug tester on it for a day and it's done.

I don't really know much about licensing but it can't be hard to get a percent of sales deal or something. Sega is a big partner, build an emulator for for master system, genesis, saturn, and dreamcast and release those classics. Kids growing up on nintendo systems probably missed a lot of sega classics.

As far as the game selection, they should be focusing efforts on the big name games, but also lesser known games are still highly acclaimed. There's a lot of diamonds in the rough out there that a lot of people missed the first time around, specially since a lot of us were kids and couldn't possibly get everything. Gog does ok selling almost exclusively old school classics, nintendo should be all over that.

simonhwsn

simonhwsn said:

I'm getting Pökemon BT right away and will wait for a sale for yumi's odd odyssey

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

also, the first trozei was amazing, so i can't wait to try and catch em all in this one, and $8 is a steal for that much collection content

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@Unca_Lz all the more reason there shouldn't be this embarrassing drip when nearly all the work is already done. I guess I can't say I'm really surprised, it's just, ugh, sell your systems nintendo.

dkxcalibur

dkxcalibur said:

It depends......If I buy myself a 3DS then I may buy Trozei. If not, then I may buy Pure Chess. Pure Chess looks really good. While I've enjoyed playing chess in the past, I'm not very good; so the tutorial might be nice.

dkxcalibur

dkxcalibur said:

I was always happy with the Wii's VC to be honest, although everything can be better too. As far as the Wii U's VC goes, all I can say is that Nintendo is missing opportunities once again.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

@Yorumi Perhaps they don't have access to those games. The other companies don't have to say "yes" just because they can. Even if Nintendo releases 5 games a week, there will be nothing left by the end of the year...and then fans complain!

Tonnie_gAmEr25

Tonnie_gAmEr25 said:

Pokemon for me!! And I'll have to wait for that review on Yumi's to see if it's a buy for me!! Can't wait for the conception demo!! :)

Walle559

Walle559 said:

Darksiders 2 for me. Loved the first one, always wanted to play the second one. Downloading now.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@Unca_Lz it's not entirely about quantity but quality. Volleyball is an insult, urban champion is an insult, nes golf is an insult. If they're going to release them at least do so after they've exhausted their library of games anyone wants. Sure the other companies don't have to say yes, but if nintendo offered to do the minimal programing involved any company that's already releasing games on the system isn't going to refuse. With the exception of maybe EA I doubt anyone else would refuse that offer.

I'm not suggesting that tomorrow they could drop every game from the GC on down on the VC, but it's been a year and we're still getting crap like volleyball.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

I'll try the Conception 2 demo, & d/l any other demos I might have missed. The Chess game sounds interesting, but I'm going to save my current e-Shop funds for Shantae And the Pirates Curse. I may even get another points card, & either d/l Risky's Revenge, or what I've been thinking on doing is wait until Pirate's Curse drops, & see if it(RR) goes on sale temporarily. Edit #1: I suspect PC will drop (to/on the e-Shop) early summer; I would say mid-May-mid-June. Edit #2: Maybe even as early as mid-late April.

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

I wish there was an endless mode or something without a time limit in Pokemon Trozei

Everyone who hasn't played Darksiders 2 should check it out! That was the only Wii U launch title I cared about playing Christmas 2012, it has some bugs but its perfectly playable and loads of fun if you like the Zelda series. Besides, the game should last you at least 20hrs if you only care about the main quest but it has fun side quests as well. The game is definitely worth $40 so 19.99 is a steal guys.

Oh, you don't need to play Darksiders 1 first (though it is recommended) the other way 'round is fine as well, both stories run parallel.

YUXLOA

YUXLOA said:

Yumi's Odd Odyssey is all I need. Been waiting for the localization for a long time.

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

Oh, the VC just continues to wreak of laziness and untapped potential.
Maybe in the next fiscal year we'll be wowed.

Mathieran

Mathieran said:

I got Darksiders II yesterday and it is totally worth it for that price. It was so much more than I was expecting. I feel bad that I didn't buy it a long time ago.

ejamer

ejamer said:

Considering Darksiders 2. The price is great and I really want the game... but would MUCH prefer to get a retail copy instead of digital. Unfortunately haven't seen a retail copy for less than $50 locally. Hmm...

hcfwesker

hcfwesker said:

@Yorumi What makes it even more baffling is how fast Capcom got a lot of their AAA games out at one time for most series entries to the eShop ... Final Fight series, Street Fighter 2 series, Ghost n goblins games, and Megaman games out on the WiiU eShop at a very respectable and fast rate. Why can't Nintendo do this on their own system?

And for those who haven't notice, about the SMB3 issue, it's the ONLY VC eShop game that is listed on the VC eShop coming soon list, and has been there since November!!!

jjmesa16

jjmesa16 said:

Wow! Something beat out "Nothing for me this week". That hasn't happened in a while.

ToonLink795

ToonLink795 said:

Hmmm... The only thing that seems really interesting is Darksiders II since that is something I thought about getting for quite some time. Don’t know if I will get it though since I’m saving for other games that are still not out.

Also already have Mutant Mudds on Wii U so no for that.
Guess I will just have to wait till the good stuff comes out someday lol.
Where are you indie games?

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

Is the Pure Chess DLC on sale, or was there a mistake somewhere? Either way, I just bought all three level packs for a buck each.

eaglebob345

eaglebob345 said:

@Blast Same here, I was a bit bummed out that DSII was still $40-60 on Amazon, but I was planning on getting it next Friday, anyways.

FLUX_CAPACITOR

FLUX_CAPACITOR said:

@ThomasBW84 hey, I don't know if you guys have already done this and I just missed it, but is there any way you guys could use your vast nintendolife influence and general manliness to get noa to explain what happened to smb3? I mean I thought that game was slated to hit the na eshop last year.

soma

soma said:

I'll be getting Mutant Mudds, I enjoyed the demo but then forgot about it. =p

Gioku

Gioku said:

Hmm... I still kinda want to get Bomb Monkey, $2.10 is a nice price, and don't have too many puzzle games on my 3DS... does anyone think I should go for it?

Kroisos

Kroisos said:

Yumi for me, eventually. I'm considering buying it now even if I don't download and play it immediately (I'm Bravely going through my backlog as we speak), because I want to show that there is an audience for these kinds of games, and the only way to do that is to be part of it. I understand waiting for a sale, but if too many people do that, this will be the only time this series comes over, and others won't be following it.

Nintendo64Dude

Nintendo64Dude said:

VOLLEYBALL????? REALLY?!?!?!? Where the hell is Super Mario Bros. 3?!?!?!?!?!?!? I've been saving my money for it and it still hasn't shown up at all! This EASILY proves that Nintendo of America doesn't get it!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Capt_N Mutant Mudds is a mediocre game. (The Wii U review for it is about right). I don't buy into the same game being better or worse according to platform. (Other than when one platform is broken in some way which isn't the case here).

faint

faint said:

@Yorumi actually I feel the majority of first party title use it. The down side is four of them are party games. Sing party/nintendo land/game and wario/wii party u. All of these titles have something impossible on other consoles. with out that we have one rts pikmen with a map function while using alternate controls (nice but not needed) wind waker remake dktf which didn't use it at all smu/Lu the gimmick your talking about? And 3d world the captin toad levels are imposible with out it. oh and wii fit u has diffrent exercises that also can't be done without the pad. So that 6 vs 4. What this realy shows is a lack of first party content.

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

@Discostew an interesting idea. Perhaps there is more to the whole EA deal than we realize. Nintendo trying to make it up by releasing old sports games is not exactly a winning idea though.

VC has been a bit appailing as of late, but not to concerned about that either way for now. Still, will get some things when the drip feed in down the line upgraded from Wii VC.

Pure Chess for me this week, when I have the time anyways.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@faint the gimmick is when it's present largely for no other reason than to be present and isn't really a core part of the game. NSMBU it's for trolling in multiplayer. Pikmin it's mostly for mission mode to make up for the fact that RTS's are terrible on consoles, Don't get me wrong I enjoyed pikmin but it doesn't change the fact that it'd be way better on a pc. 3D world you occasionally touch a block to make it pop out, capt. toad levels rely more on camera rotation than anything from the second screen. DKC didn't even use it as mentioned cause why should we expect retro, working on a flagship game, to spend a few moments to just simply mirror the screen.

It doesn't need to some extremely innovative way of using it, I just kind of feel like it should look like the game was at least designed with the second screen in mind. Splinter cell and lego city both use it fine. It's not particularly creative in either game but it also doesn't feel completely tacked on.

They're constantly saying you have to use the gamepad to understand it. I understand perfectly how it could be used, but they don't exactly do themselves any favors when the best ideas they can come up largely amount to the equivalent of IOS ports and it's use on their flagship games looks like someone reminded them during crunch time that the gamepad exists. There are just so many cool ways it could be used and become and essential selling point of the system, but they're largely just ignoring it. Why'd they even make it if they didn't know how to use it?

element187

element187 said:

Pure Chess for Wii U for me... I don't care to play it on my 3DS.

But I will be downloading the Conception II demo. I've been in absolute gaming bliss these past 12 months with all of these RPGs from Atlus I have purchased. They really are just straight up amazing in making RPGs.

StraTTtheRipper

StraTTtheRipper said:

Yup, pretty much another week of nothing. Wii sports club isn't selling as well as they had hoped, because, in my opinion, they want too much for the games. There's no way I would pay $10 for Golf. I wish SENRAN KAGURA Burst would got on sale for $20...I'd definitely grab that up.

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

@ThomasBW84 - 8.99 in Canada for Pure Chess

@Lunapplebloom - I might not get that chess as fast as I thought. I don't want to support developers that are going to raise the Canadian price because they can.

faint

faint said:

@Yorumi you only mentioned one of the games I stated that you need the pad for. (Mario land) the party games 4 of them wii fit that makes five and 3d land make 6. First party only that make 6/4 four that don't need it.

Yomerodes

Yomerodes said:

@Unca_Lz

It is true that the last couple of years of the Wii VC were lacking in releases...but the first few years were worth it, by 2008 the N64 virtual console already had 1080, Ogre Battle, Bomberman, multiple Mario games, both Zeldas, Yohi's Story, Star Fox, and a few others. Now, the Wii U is crawling in its secnd year, and the N64 games are still MIA, the SNES games are very far and between (Capcom already have basically more and better games released than Nintendo themselves in the service).

One might say they are saving the best for later (to avoid repeating the situation of the Wii virtual console losing almost all the steam at halfway the wii lifecycle), but considering the Wii U current situation they might as well burn fast the very best cards they still hold in the virtual console department in order to save face with the massive droughts during this year.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@faint I kind of did in the IOS part. I'm not trying to specifically tear those games down, but if they best they can come up with are minigame collections, that's kind of sad. There's just so many uses for the gamepad out there, and it seems like even nintendo themselves is saying "oh just throw out a minigame collection so they don't think we forgot about it."

It's useful for off tv play(but I have more than one tv so even my ps3 technically does that) and text entry, but my pc does that fine. So nearly two years into the life of this console I'm left wondering what really was the point of hte gamepad, and it shouldn't be that way I can see plenty of good uses for it if they'd just do it.

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

I might just wait to Pure Chess is on sale now and I don't mean dropped to U.S. price while they get a sale like Aqua Moto Racing 3D had.

Ste

Ste said:

hi everyone, just wanted to add that Nano Assault Neo is also a price drop to 7.49 from 9.99 in the US.

luke17

luke17 said:

Hello Kitty Cruisers and NES Volleyball???? That's the BEST you got Nintendo???? Simply Embarrassing.

PKNoUsernameHere

PKNoUsernameHere said:

Eh, I'm not getting anything this week. The list looks dull. The one time I have money, there's always a dull list to choose from. :/

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

Gotta $10 eShop card just for Pokémon Battle Trozei this week. Looks like its going to be a blast!!!!!!!!!!

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

I'm surprised how many people want Pokemon Battle Trozei. It looks like just another match 3 game.

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

Grabbed Pokemon Battle Trozei. Yumi's Odd Odyssey for $30? Not at that price. If they release a physical cart I'll gladly pay it though. No 3DS VC this week? Bummer.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

I'm very pleased with the results of this poll. Glad to see some interest in Pure Chess as well as Pokemon Battle Trozei. Most of all, I'm glad to see some folks are gonna pick up Darksiders 2.

And to anyone who doesn't already own Darksiders 2 or hasn't played it, take my advice as a fellow Nintendo gamer: BUY THE GAME. $20 is a really good price, especially considering the physical version hasn't dropped below the $40 mark yet. This isn't just a great game, it's one of the best on the Wii U. It's THAT good. If you like Zelda, you will like this game. It's not too similar to Zelda, so don't get me wrong, but they're similar enough. Only this game has a greater focus on skilled combat, among other things.

Also, Wii Sports Club Golf has new Wii Sports Resort course added to the Wii Sports and NES Golf courses. It's a great game, and one of the most novel used of the Gamepad to date. I'd highly recommend trying it to anyone who liked the original games on Wii, considering it's free this weekend and all.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Yorumi

I understand where you're coming from, but try looking at things from a different perspective. When the Wii launched, and every game shoehorned motion in, people complained about it. People said, "Not every game is suited for motion, it's a gimmick being shoehorned in. Leave it out if it's not a natural fit".

So Nintendo learned their lesson, and are not forcing some major use of the gamepad into games that it doesn't suit naturally. As a result, people say "well it's a gimmick cause they're NOT using it". So they're da**ed if they do, da**ed if they don't. The reason games like NSMBU, Super Mario 3D World and DKC don't have a major use for the pad (if any at all), is because there's not much you can do in a platformer. There's just not. Unless you want to risk screwing up the game just to shoehorn the second screen in. For what NSMBU was, I think Boost mode was about the best use you COULD have for that game. Unless you can give examples of better uses?

Pikmin 3 isn't on PC. It's a Nintendo game. So it really doesn't matter if it would be better on PC, because it's not. It's on a console. And as such, they utilized the gamepad well for the type of game it was. It DID prove very useful in that game. In fact, I can only imagine how sloggish it would have been without the satellite view map at my disposal within a finger's touch at any time. Streamlined to jump right into sat view and correspond with the legend map on the pad. The minute you press a button on the controller it jumps right back to gameplay. Streamlined and efficient, which would not have been the case otherwise. Controlling multiple characters at once was a breeze, and given the nature of the game, was an integral part of it.

The gamepad definitely has plenty of legit uses. Not for every TYPE of game, but for many. Pikmin 3, Zelda Windwaker HD, Wonderful 101 and Wii Sports Club are prime examples of what the pad can add to the experience. It's not gonna be some mind bending addition- Idk why people expect that- it's only a screen after all. But it can provide streamlined experiences, and in some cases (like controlling multiple characters at once in Pikmin 3, solving dual screen puzzles in W101 and seeing the golf ball and club in Wii Sports club), the pad can provide entirely new experiences not feasible on a single screen.

When the gamepad is a natural fit, we'll see it used as applicable. We've got close to 20 AAA games that used the pad to enhance the experience (because those types of games typically fit well with a second screen), and over half of Nintendo's 1st party games have used it to enhance the experience, streamline the experience, or add to the experience. Mario Kart 8? Expect asymmetrical gameplay and a rearview mirror. X? Expect stats and menu integration, as well as quick touch shortcuts for items. Smash Bros? Don't expect much at all, seeing as it's a fighter- what can you really do with a second screen in a fighter? I can't think of anything. But you look at DK vs Mario on Wii U that was a demo at the GDC a few days ago. THAT was innovative gamepad use. Like I said, when the game fits, they'll use it. But you can't expect miracles from a simple screen, it's just going to be small enhancements, streamlining and minor added experiences. And even then, only for the games that are well suited for it.

Please, let's stop abusing the word "gimmick". The gamepad, like the Wiimote, is a legit part of the console. A gimmick is 'pre order now and unlock on-disc skin DLC'. The gamepad is a controller with a screen on it, there to function exactly as I stated above: enhance, streamline, and add, WHEN APPLICABLE. When not applicable, it's default use goes to off-screen play, TV/Cable/Input control, and Miiverse hub. If people could point out what the gamepad should have been used for in games like NSMBU, SM3DW and DKC, I'll concede the point. But up until now, people just complain about not having some mind bending use of the pad, yet fail to point out what that use should have been. People don't even know what they want, or if it's even possible to implement. What exactly DID people want the pad used for in those games? Does anyone even know?

Windy

Windy said:

Has anyone else noticed the same games going on sale every few months? My point is there is a full Eshop of older DSi software that people may want to get there hands on but not pay those older higher prices for. I appreciate the sales we do get but running the same games over and over is noticed and for me and probably most of us.....we've picked up those games either new or from a previous sale. I'm a diehard I check every Thursday and have been frustrated just about every Thursday this year. I guess those older games will just sit there and get 0 downloads each month.

Windy

Windy said:

Oh one more thing.......Whoever is in charge of the VC "YOUR FIRED!" Your doing a horrible job of releasing and Holding back on titles.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

All these discounts and promos make me want to grab my cash and buy eShop cards, but I'm waiting for that 20% discount. I'm patient.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Windy

Agreed. VC is dead to me. For now, anyways. If they're trying to see how many games they can release without selling a copy, they're definitely doing a good job of it. We'll see how things shape up next month with GBA games and NES Remix 2. And hopefully DS and N64 games follow soon after. If they bring GC games this gen though, all will be forgiven. Seriously, I'll forgive them ON THE SPOT for all this garbage VC if they bring GC games before the gen is over. Or the SNES DKC trilogy. That's what I REALLY want. I don't care if we get crap like this for the next 3 years, just give me my DKC games on Wii U! And if they have time, throw em on 3DS too.

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

Waiting for the Pure Chess review, but it looks solid!
Volleyball... about time, Nintendo! You've been promising that one since 2013!

Windy

Windy said:

@JaxonH That's like the 4 or 5th time I've fired the guy in charge of the VC. I just don't think Nintendo's listening.

Windy

Windy said:

@BinaryFragger I was pretty shocked when I saw Yumi's at 29 bucks. I was thinking it was going to be an Eshop type release at 14.99 to 19.99. hopefully a review on it soon to see if its worth that price

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

@Yorumi The reason for the lack of VC titles such as SMB3 is that Nintendo is waiting until April when the new fiscal year starts. Remember when Iwata said that he understands our frustration with the VC and plans to enrich the library? Well, he didn't exactly specify when. Seeing as how Nintendo has already tanked this fiscal year, they might as well wait until the new one starts.

Wait two more weeks and it will start to pick up. Or at least when GBA games arrive.

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

Anyways, I want to get Pokemon Battle Trozei for sure, but I'm going to wait and will be getting a year of Bank instead. Got some more Pokes to transfer.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Windy
On the plus side, we WILL get all the good VC games for NES, SNES, N64, GBA and DS on the Wii U eShop by the end of the generation. I mean, one way or another the games WILL come (Nintendo's not going to pass up money by not releasing them), it's just a matter of how long we have to wait while they trickle the garbage. I'm a fairly patient man. I've played all these games my whole life- at most we'll have to wait 4 more years to have the full library available and for sale on Wii U. I can wait, I suppose. Sure, I'd buy them now if I could, but whatever...

The only games I DON'T want to wait on is the DKC trilogy- I wanna play those right now, and not on my Wii. I want the virtual restore points, button configuration, Pro Controller for TV play and Gamepad for off-TV play. They need to release those games asap since Tropical Freeze just released. Play off the hype> more sales means more money for Ninty. But see, that would make too much sense.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@IceClimbers I hope it is because they have decided that the PAL release of SMB3 is not of sufficient quality. (And PAL is also going to get a fixed version). Either that or it always had bad slippery controls.

(Hard for me to know because the only version I played on an actual NES was the 50hz PAL one. But 60hz All Stars doesn't have that problem).

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

I'm sick of waiting for SMB3. It's ridiculous that it's still not out yet. Best 2D Mario and by a fair amount, even over the still rather stellar SMW. To this day, I can't fathom how Nintendo was able to get the game to run on the Famicom!

Zach777

Zach777 said:

Bummer just bought retail Darksiders 2 on eBay for 35.00 thinking it wa a good deal; oh well. It's a fun game definitely worth owning during the drought.

Earthboundy

Earthboundy said:

I find it funny that the etrian odyssey game discounts we not on this list but i will be buying etrian odyssey untold tomorrow :)

GamerFromJump

GamerFromJump said:

@Yorumi - Someone's already written an NES emulator for Wii that works darn near perfectly (as in. I've never run into problems). It's called FCE Ultra GX.

zeldafoursword

zeldafoursword said:

im getting pokemon battle trozei and maybe hello kitty kruisers but on retail ,it will satisfy me at least a little till may 30 :D

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@GamerFromJump exactly my point, there's little involved in bringing in new VC games once the emulator is done.

@JaxonH I'm not saying they should shoehorn it into everything, I'm saying they should have known that and put games into the production pipeline that use it. Of the games they've released that arn't minigame collections, one has made any real use of the gamepad, and the next two major releases for the rest of this year won't either. Also unless they have some surprises in store I doubt X is going to do anything creative with the gamepad. So we'll be 2 years into the life of the console without any significant use of the gamepad by it's makers other than minigame collections.

The point about pikmin and pc is kind of what if scenario. I want to see the gamepad used in a way that it would enhance even a pc game if it was available there. In the case of pikmin the gamepad functions to do nothing more than provide and inferior simulation of a mouse. If pikmin was on pc the experience would be much better than the gamepad provides, that's not an endorsement of the gamepad.

Instead when you use it to keep the action going like zombie U, or to put puzzles on it that you solve with the touch controls, or say a spell casting game were you have to draw runes to cast spells, then you provide experiences not easily emulated on a pc. Then you sell the gamepad.

I love the gamepad and the concept of it, but right now nintendo is using it for nothing more than a gimmick. They need to get creative with it, use it, sell it. You built the console around it, now build games around it.

alex167

alex167 said:

Does anyone know if Darksiders 2 includes the bonus content that physical copy has?

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Yorumi Understood, but I think people are putting too much stock into the Gamepad. The gamepad isn't supposed to sell the system, the games are, regardless of whether they use the pad or not. And not all games will use it.

Better to release franchises known to sell 10+ million copies, that aren't suited to the pad, than to release franchises that never topped 2 million just because they're well suited for the pad. I mean, if your argument is selling the system, that's just the reality of the situation

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

@Nintendo64Dude If you're waiting for the 3DS release of SMB3, I understand, but if you absolutely can't wait for it on the Wii U, just get it off the Wii Shop and upgrade when it is released on Wii U. Why do so many people forget that the entire Wii VC catalog is already available on the Wii U?! The Wii U re-releases are really only upgrades to add a few features like restore points and the ability to use your e-Shop funds.

Where's the Conception demo? I still can't find it on the e-Shop?

Finntendo

Finntendo said:

HELLO KITTY CRUISERS!!
WHY NOT IN EUROPE!!!!

...Would be so cool when my HK fan friend comes by, would be so cool to play this.
....and if I bought my husband a few new Batman comics, maybe he'd play this with me :D