Feature: The Biggest 3DS Games of 2014

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

2013 set a high standard

2013 was a terrific year for the 3DS, when the recovery of 2012 was consolidated into a year of substantial sales and critical acclaim from gamers. The line-up of games throughout the year probably wasn't as substantial as popular perception would suggest, but it was a case of a small quantity delivering excellent quality, and big-name franchises and ideas that attracted millions of new 3DS owners into the fold.

In that respect 2014 has a lot to live up to, with the big names of 2013 setting high standards. What's striking is that the confirmed line-up of 3DS titles for the coming year is relatively thin at this moment in time, suggesting that more is in the works that's yet to be revealed. We're also dealing (mostly) in confirmed, announced titles, so on those grounds titles such as Fantasy Life are left out as we await localisation details. We've also included one game that's a major upcoming release in North America, even if Europeans jumped in during December.

What we can say for sure is that more titles are sure to be confirmed in the coming months, in particular to cover the second half of the year.

Kirby: Triple Deluxe — 2014

If one game character represents the irreverent, playful whimsy of which Nintendo is so proud it may well be Kirby. The pink ball and his world have their own crazy logic, as you go around absorbing power-ups and generally being charmed silly by the visuals and music. This is due imminently in Japan, so we're simply awaiting localisation; footage to date has shown fun mini-games and multi-layered levels to take advantage of the portable's stereoscopic 3D effect.

Yoshi's New Island — Spring 2014

We'll be honest, we were unimpressed with this in our first impressions, as it was lacking in both polish and creative spark. Yet still, we've learnt from experience that impressions of early builds certainly don't tell anything like the full story, so we'll take heart from the most recent footage and hope that this delivers a strong new entry in the Yoshi spin-off series. Expect an attractive yet probably divisive hand-drawn style and lots of egg throwing; here's hoping for an enjoyable end result.

Super Smash Bros. — 2014

This unsurprisingly appeared on our Wii U list, with the 3DS version representing the first portable entry in the franchise. We're yet to learn what, if any, interaction will be possible between the two iterations — cross-play seems unlikely due to alternate stages, but we can dream — yet we know for sure that the portable's version will be unique from its HD brethren. It'll have a rather different art-style, for one thing, which some of the Nintendo Life community often say is preferable with its bold colours and black outlines, and will possibly cause nostalgia overload with some of its unique stage settings. It'll be Smash Bros. on the go, which is a hugely exciting prospect.

Mario Golf: World Tour — 2014

Originally pegged for late 2013, this was pushed back potentially for extended development, or perhaps to flesh out 2014's lineup. Whatever the case, and despite a little bit of an absence of recent footage, this may be on some wishlists for those that remember the RPG-lite Mario sports games of years gone by. This is being developed by Camelot and will include online play and communities, so is full of promise.

Monster Hunter 4 — TBC

We've allowed ourselves one speculative localisation simply because it's Monster Hunter. It's in doubt solely due to the franchise struggling to have the same impact in the West as it does in Japan, where the latest entry has easily surpassed Capcom's initial projections. We'd like to think that Capcom will see some gaps in 2014's 3DS line-up and seize an opportunity to give the series another whirl in the West, and we imagine the online play would be particularly popular with enthusiasts.

Professor Layton Vs. Ace Attorney — 28th March (Europe) & 2014 (North America)

This mash-up of the iconic Level-5 and Capcom franchises arrived in Japan in late 2012, and is now finally making its way to eager fans in the West. It has a fantastical tale that involves time-travel, while combining the puzzle-solving professor's gameplay with courtroom drama. We have no objections.

Bravely Default — 7th February 2014 (North America)

A December arrival in Europe, such was its impact that despite regional limitations it still (just) seized the prize of "3DS Retail Third-Party Game of the Year" in the Readers' awards. It hits North America soon, including a gorgeous limited edition boxed set, and is a polished, beautifully constructed RPG; a sequel is already well on its way to Japan, too.

Treasurenauts — Q1 2014

Originally due in late 2013, this eShop title was pushed back by Renegade Kid in order to allow for finishing touches to be applied. The developer's greatest recent success has been Mutant Mudds, so taking the extra time to ensure that this retro-style action platformer hits the mark may indeed be a wise decision. Footage to date looks colourful and plenty of fun, and we hopefully don't have long to wait before we see more.

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse — Q1 2014

Another eShop download that slid into the new year from 2014, this is the continuation of WayForward's flagship franchise, also maintaining the tradition of first-releases being on Nintendo's portable — for the last time, too, ahead of HD title Shantae: Half-Genie Hero which is confirmed for the Wii U eShop. Our time with the game has shown it to be full of potential, with gorgeous pixel-based visuals and familiar mechanics. With its two predecessors being such excellent titles, we're keen to play this one.

Shovel Knight — Q1 2014

This crowdfunded début from Yacht Club Games almost made it onto our Wii U list, and while HD visuals are attractive we do think this retro-styled action platformer could be a great fit for Nintendo's portable system. Like its fellow eShop titles in this list it was originally due in late 2013 but slipped to Q1 this year, so it hopefully won't be long before we head out on an adventure with the heroic knight; pogo-like moves with the shovel are sure to prompt serious nostalgia, along with the pixel-based visuals — that's surely exactly as the developer intends.

Those are ten games — that we know about — which are full of potential for the 3DS. Nintendo likely has various other tricks up its sleeve, but let us know your favourites from this list in the comments and poll below.

What's your most anticipated 3DS game of 2014? (851 votes)

Kirby: Triple Deluxe

10%

Bravely Default

14%

Treasurenauts

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse

Shovel Knight

My choice isn't on the list

Please login to vote in this poll.

Interneto

Interneto said:

• Super Smash Bros.
  • Shovel Knight
  • Monster Hunter 4
  • Professor Layton Vs. Ace Attorney
Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Smash Bros.! I'm also looking forward to Yoshi and Kirby. Definitely Treasurenauts as well.

NightmareXIV

NightmareXIV said:

Can you guys believe how awesome it will be say twenty. Years from now when these games become classics, and you can brag about being around when they were released.

Snes_is_king

Snes_is_king said:

its gonna be another hard year for my wallet. between this and wii u, it's time to get a second job lol.

sonicfan1373

sonicfan1373 said:

I think it is a safe bet that more key games will be announced between April (start of new business year) and June (E3). I am personally anticipating a Majora's Mask remake done by Grezzo.

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call is what I'm really looking forward to next year, that is if Square even brings out next year. I'm also holding out for a Pokémon Gen. 6 spinoff game (or Ruby and Sapphire 3D...:P)

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

of all the games the only one that interests me is monster hunter 4.

2013 had way more interesting games. and 2012, too.

AdanVC

AdanVC said:

Kirby's Triple Deluxe and Smash Bros for me. I can't believe Kirby is out next week in Japan and here probably would be out at least early spring or even summer :( Also...I don't know but I predict that this year a brand new 2D Metroid would be announced for 3DS. I believe it's more possible and realistic to see it there than on Wii U at this point. A new 2D Metroid like Super Metroid, Fusion or Zero Mission for the GBA... yes it would happen.

Edit: After a while trying to choose one to vote, I end up voting for Yoshi's New Island. It looks kinda meh at this point but come on! It's produced by Takashi Tezuka, the Godfather of the best Nintendo games and director of the original Yoshi's Island. We could give it the benefit of doubt. I'm sure would not dissapoint. :)

Baum897

Baum897 said:

The more time passes and the more I see of the two games, the more I'm convinced, that Kirby and Yoshi's Island will be THE two titles, that'll make me buy a 3DS.
Super Mario World 2 was the very first game I ever played (and finished...something I'm unable to do now for some odd reason) and there's something about Triple Deluxe, that reminds me of Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards - the first game I owned for myself and man...did I love that game ^.^

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

It doesn't seem to be on many people's radars, but Yumi's Odd Odyssey is an upcoming eShop exclusive that I'm very excited about.

Gold

Gold said:

Kirby : Triple Deluxe
Treasurenauts
Shovel Knight (Wii U Version)
I don't want the 3DS Smash Bros. I hate the look of it.
Only 2 things for 3DS so far! Time to finish up my Wii collection then!

Stu13

Stu13 said:

Shovel Knight and Treasurenauts are both right up my alley. Is '1001 Spikes' still coming to 3DS? Haven't heard anything about it in quite a while.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I wanted to troll and say SMB3 and Link to the Past in NA.

From this list, Bravely Default, Smash Bros. followed by Shantae, Shovel Knight and Kirby.

Emaan

Emaan said:

I'm actually more excited for Kirby: Triple Deluxe than anything else, even Super Smash Bros. :D

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

I voted for Mario Golf: World Tour only because I feel like I'll be the only one who does. It's actually #2:
1) Monster Hunter 4
2) Mario Golf: World Tour
3) Bravely Default
4) Shovel Knight
......
Top 10) Treasurenauts
..........
174) the 3DS version of Smash (Game is meant for a big screen)

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

@Jazzer94 - Umihara Kawase Portable was released for the PSP and was initially planned for a NA release under the title "Yumi's Odd Odyssey", but it was a buggy, butchered re-release of the 2nd game that was widely panned and it remained a Japanese exclusive.

Yumi's Odd Odyssey/Sayonara Umihara Kawase, while re-using that old planned name, is a brand new entry made by the original developer and the first game in the series to receive a Western release.

MAN1AC

MAN1AC said:

Wii U - Smash Bros.
3DS - Bravely Default

Shovel Knight and Kirby are most own games for me as well. Is Shovel Knight being released on the 3DS?

Mollutje

Mollutje said:

A lot of these really don't appeal to me that much to be honest. I'm much more looking forward to the upcoming Wii U titles. Mario Kart 8 in particular. Kirby seems like it will be a charming new title, but Yoshi's New Island seems thoroughly uninspired. Frankly, I'm most excited about the eShop titles. C'mooooooooon Shovel Knight!

GuSilverFlame

GuSilverFlame said:

1 Kirby Triple Deluxe
2 Smash Bros. 3DS
3 Monster Hunter 4
4 prof Layton Vs. Ace Attorney
5 Bravely Default
6 Shovel Knight

Gioku

Gioku said:

I'm the world's biggest Yoshi and Kirby fan! :3 :3 :3

Both a new Kirby game and a new Yoshi game means this will be the best year ever! :D :D :D

...I'm excited for Smash Bros., Shantae, Shovel Knight, and Mario Golf, too! :)

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I have to vote for Super Smash Bros. again, but my second choice is easily Kirby: Triple Deluxe. From what I've seen, that game may be even better than Return to Dreamland and it's going to have amazing use of 3D.

I'm also looking forward to Yoshi's New Island even though many aren't. I will consider it a success if it's better than Yoshi's Island DS.

Mario Golf: World Tour might be a summer release. That's another 3DS game I'm looking forward to and hopefully the long wait will make it well-worth it. Mario Tennis Open was pretty bare-bones, so hopefully there's a lot more to this new golf game for Mario.

Shantae should be good, and I'll most likely get Shovel Knight for Wii U.

2013 set a very high bar for 3DS that I feel it might not make for 2014. That doesn't mean that it can't get a few really good games throughout this year, though.

ant

ant said:

totally forgot about mario golf. still looking forward to it

XFsWorld

XFsWorld said:

Mario Golf
Monster Hunter 4
Kirby Triple Deluxe
Smash Bros
Treasurenauts

Edit: Where's IronFall and Cult County?

mullen

mullen said:

I vote for Layton x Phoenix. The game I like most is Bravely Default, but I already have it and have no intention to play a 3rd or 4th time. I also interested in Super Smash Bros., but I'm just afraid the stupid network or region-lock policy may ruin this game like Mario Party. I need more information to make decision.

ShockeyRai

ShockeyRai said:

Wii U: Super Smash Bros, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. Mario Kart 8 & Shantae: Half-Genie Hero
3DS: Kirby Triple Deluxe, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, Mario Golf: World Tour & Super Smash Bros

Yes, I know... I put Super Smash Bros in both Wii U & 3DS
I'm think of getting both versions because there's no way i could resist Portable Super Smash Bros. :)

PrincessEevee9

PrincessEevee9 said:

@Gioku Ahem :3

Gotta say Kirby Triple Deluxe has me more excited the anything this year. Even moreso than Bravely Default ( which I never would have guessed they'd localize). Smash will be an insta-buy but not as hyped for it as the previous two!! Hope Mario Golf hurries up and Shantae only cause my friend got be throughly interested in the series.

@RevolverLink Never heard of it but still be looking into that now.

Technosphile

Technosphile said:

I should have been playing Mario Golf already, and Nintendo's no-showing it since E3 is worrisome.

ferthepoet

ferthepoet said:

Persona Q is missing from the list, I know it's not been confirmed for localization but neither has Monster Hunter 4

Ultra128

Ultra128 said:

I still have Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour on GC. It was highly enjoyable game. Thus, I am looking forward to World Tour. Hopefully we will get some new footage soon, though.

Warbeard

Warbeard said:

I still don't understand the love for Shantae - even to mention it in passing near Smash Bros' should be a crime

mookysam

mookysam said:

My vote goes to Yoshi's New Island. It looks delightful and exactly the sort of game I've been missing.

Fingers crossed for a European Shin Megami Tensei IV release at some point this year. Same goes for the elusive Dragon Quest VII. All in all I don't see 2014 being as strong as this year for the 3DS, but that's okay. I have a lot of games to catch up on!

SeVok

SeVok said:

I hope we do not get a poor year of 3DS releases as a cost of such tremendous 2013.

BabyLogey

BabyLogey said:

Although SSB 3DS would definitely be at the top of my MUST BUY!!!!!! list, I'm possibly equally excited for Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, from what I've WayForward has never let me down (SpongeBob SquigglePants was a little repetitive, though..). I still haven't beat the first one or Risky's Revenge, but who cares?! The internet's already given away some important elements from Risky's Revenge.. I'm also freakin' excited for Treasurenauts, it looks fun (and also I noticed Max from Mutant Mudds was in there). But I still need to get some games from 2013 this year too, I never got the Regular Show game, or the second Adventure Time game, unfortunately didn't get Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, and I also never got Mario & Luigi: Dream Team.

RetroRider

RetroRider said:

1. Smash Bros for 3DS

2. Shovel Knight

3. Treasurenauts

Waiting for these games is hard, but knowing that the longer that wait, the better the game.

And I expect that all 3 of them will be very well worth the wait

Peach64

Peach64 said:

It's looking a bit bare for me. I'm sure Kirby will be good, and I'd love Yoshi to be good, but knowing the team that's working on it I'm not expecting much. Layton vs Phoenix Wright is the big one, but I'm hoping for a lot of announcements this year.

Of course European releases of Shin Megami Tensei IV and Dragon Quest VII would go down pretty well!

t1redmonkey

t1redmonkey said:

Cautiously optimistic for Mario Golf, since the GBC and GBA versions had incredibly fun and addictive gameplay. Hopefully Camelot don't mess it up, like they did with Mario Tennis!

Yomerodes

Yomerodes said:

Not on the list, Curtain Call and Conception 2.

Those two and Smash are my sure bets for 2014.

Shambo

Shambo said:

Difficult question. I'm incredibly excited about MH 4, and Smash Bros mostly on Wii U, yet I'll get both versions. Still, I decided to vote for PL vs AA, since I couldn't believe my eyes when they first showed their first Japanese trailer. Been looking forward since then! Most others are must-haves too, and I'm hoping for some major announcements as well. How about an Advance/Battalion Wars, or a Metroid (Prime) game? Maybe a true Eternal Darkness game can actually happen? Who knows?
Edit: and Senran Kagura Burst.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Actually Gunlord will be the best presuming it is no worse than the Dreamcast / Neo Geo version.

(Actually got effort put into the sprites puts stuff like Shovel Knight / Treasurenauts to shame).

Even Retro City Rampage looks like the proportions will be right for the 3DS.

Shantae will be more like the too easy / short dsiware than the good one so I am not interested much about that.

I probably will get Shovel Knight but it certainly doesn't look anything special.

Not sure about the Nintendo produced stuff I suppose I will get whichever (or none) is 60fps out of Kirby / Yoshi's Island.

Probably get Mario Golf as well but not immediately.

Zero_Revolution

Zero_Revolution said:

I'm most looking forward to Kirby: Triple Deluxe and Shantae Pirate's Curse, Bravely Default is something I'll have to look into though. The others don't excite me at all, and I'd rather get Smash Bros. on Wii U than 3DS. I'm in hopes of some new interesting games to be announced for the 3DS later this year, as there doesn't seem t be much coming. Probably because Nintendo is focusing more on Wii U.

Bassman_Q

Bassman_Q said:

1. Layton v. Ace Attorney - Been hyped for this one ever since it was announced back in 2011. Even bought a used copy of Layton and the Diabolical Box to become familiar with the series.
2. Smash Bros. - Super-hyped to be able to play it on the go. Especially with Villager, Mega Man, and Rosalina!
3. Shovel Knight - Been hyped for this one since it's announcement early last year. The promo images and features here on NL were always great to see. I only hope it's no more than $10 on the eShop, cuz then I'd have to buy more prepaid funds.
4. Shantae 3 - Ill admit I wasn't too excited for this one when it was announced, but now that I've beaten the DsiWare sequel finally and have started the first GBC one, I'm pretty hyped for this now.

I'm downloading the Bravely Default demo as I type this, so I'll try it out and see if it's worth my money as well.

RedFireTiger

RedFireTiger said:

Yoshi yoshi yoshi. Im excited for yoshi and kirby and im not even a big kirby fan. Im also surpisingly interested in Mario golf

appel

appel said:

I'm not too excited about the games mentioned in this article - I do not see a lot of originality. I'm only hoping that Touch Detective 3 will also be released outside of Japan.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

Super Smash Bros., hands down!
It's the first portable SSB, FINALLY, for cryin' out loud!

cookiex

cookiex said:

Professor Layton Vs. Ace Attorney over anything else (mostly because I've played a lot of Dual Destines and would like to try out Layton).

Smash Bros. is for the big screen in glorious HD.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

looking forward to Kirby Triple Deluxe, Professor Layton & the Azran Legacy, Bravely Default, Yoshi's New Island, Mario Golf World Tour, Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney, Super Smash Bros for the 3DS and for the Wii U I'm looking forward to Mario Kart 8,Tropical Freeze, Super Smash Bros.

ningeek185

ningeek185 said:

The N3DS has the best Nintendo games, especially for die-hard Nintendo fanboys. Here's the list of games that I have and want for 2014 (3DS):

HAVE:
~Pokemon X
~LoZ: Link Between Worlds
~Mario Kart 7
~Super Mario 3D Land
~Super Mario Bros. 2

WANT:
~AC: New Leaf
~Ocarina of Time 3D
~Kirby: Triple Deluxe
~DKCR: 3D
~Yoshi's Island
~SSB

As you can see, my list is pretty good on both ends, but I think that after I buy all of my wants for 2014, I'll need another game card case :)

Windy

Windy said:

One Piece the RPG comes out 4 days after Bravely Default. I'm looking forward to that and Mario Golf

RetroRider

RetroRider said:

@Bassman_Q

Sadly shovel Knight will cost $15.

Really a small price to pay for such a wonderful game, only ever heard good about it.

And the developers are really nice people, I had a few questions about the game while also conversating a little with them. So I really can't wait for the game

belmont

belmont said:

Where are the j-rpg localizations? Anyway from the mentioned games only Professor Layton Vs. Ace Attorney appeals to me.

okamiki

okamiki said:

Monster hunter 4 without a doubt.

And I hope the versions of smash are really different and have ninty advertise theses differences otherwise it will be a game that only fit who just have 3ds and, who knows, this can be a problem for wii u's sales...

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Yeah...Shovel Knight is the only game there I'm ever going to buy, unless Yoshi's New Island turns out to be great somehow.

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

Can't forget Persona Q, which we know is coming to Japan during Summer. Seeing as this is an Atlus game, America might see it during Holiday 2014/Early 2015. Europe won't see it until Q3 2015.

Shroom_Muncher

Shroom_Muncher said:

Awsome. Even more to add to my 3ds list, shame the wii u doesn't have as strong as a line up err lined up

Macarony64

Macarony64 said:

Monster hunter 4 , bravely default and everything on the list plus the ones not here XD.

Falchion

Falchion said:

This is a weak line up... I only want Kirby Triple Deluxe and Bravely Default. I voted for Bravely Default, i am so excited for the demo!

donkeykong64

donkeykong64 said:

No more c-stick madness for smash bros!

All these games get me so excited for the new year. Although I still crave an original domkey kong 3ds game.

donkeykong64

donkeykong64 said:

No more c-stick madness for smash bros!

divinelite

divinelite said:

Only super smash brothers
And really hype the cell shading over realistic yet bland on wii u

t1redmonkey

t1redmonkey said:

@appel Wow I had no idea that was in development! +1 from me then for a western localization, though I doubt it'll happen...

AVahne

AVahne said:

MH4 followed by BD. I have a Wii U, so I'm not really excited for a portable Smash Bros. Like Mario Kart, I just think it's much better when played on a TV with friends or siblings.

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

The three games I'm interested in is Smash Bros, Triple Deluxe and Pirate's Curse. Overall, these games will be welcome to the growing library of 3DS games.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@RetroRider How I see it is with Shovel Knight being multiplatform it isn't worth that much to me unless it has a demo. (Failing that I will wait for the PC version to be 75% off and use that as the demo).

Frapp

Frapp said:

Everything but Mario Golf for me and am still waiting for that Chibi-Robo date for Europe.
What I REALLY want to see, though, are some games that involve Wii U and 3DS connectivity, either in a Crystal Chronicles/Four Swords sort of way or with some other integration. Since the Wii U GamePad is a natural extension of the GameCube to GBA connectivity idea, it's really disappointing to me that we've not seen anything yet using Wii U-3DS connectivity apart from Monster Hunter's local co-op and sharing Miis, although Miyamoto did say last year Nintendo were trying out ideas. On the Wii, with the brilliant Wiiware game MaBoShi you could download a full version of the game to the DS; in the same way, a DS demo was available with Geometry Wars Galaxies on Wii. I think there are a lot of interesting gameplay possibilties involving Wii U to 3DS connectivity and the eShop would be a great way to deliver such niche games.

Bryon15

Bryon15 said:

Yoshi's island 2 for nds was pretty mediocre. So I don't have high hopes for the sequel. I mostly want:

Bravely default
Kirby triple deluxe
Super smash bros 4
Monster hunter 4

ZephyrTortera

ZephyrTortera said:

All of these games are on my watchlist. Especially MH4. I'm a MH junkie all the way. Plus Fantasy Life if it ever comes.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

To anyone who has never played a Monster Hunter game before, please do yourself a favor and try Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, preferably on Wii U if you have one, otherwise 3DS should suffice. The franchise is immensely popular for good reason, and MH3U is the defining experience for the franchise, particularly the Wii U version due to the HD graphics and smooth online.

If MH4 comes west, we need more than 12% of Nintendo fans to show interest in the game. Otherwise it may flop and we'll never see another one in the west again. If more people gave MH3U a chance, I think this poll would have a totally different outcome. Fellow Nintendo fans, Monster Hunter is your favorite game, you just don't know it yet ;)

MAB

MAB said:

I was looking forward to some Cult County 3DS survival horror but it looks like it might be put on the back burner or canned... MH 4 is the only game to look forward to on the underwhelming 3DS and it might not even come to the west but I would prefer a game like that on Wii U anyway ;)

GoombaJMR

GoombaJMR said:

quick question
is Professor Layton Vs. Ace Attorney getting a retail release?
thanks xd

GoombaJMR

GoombaJMR said:

quick question
is Professor Layton Vs. Ace Attorney getting a retail release?
thanks xd

uceenk

uceenk said:

i wait

• bravely default
  • monster hunter 4

also i dream "Fortune Street" would be released on 3DS on 2014, i love that game, played a lot of hours in Wii and iOS version

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Monster Hunterrrrrr!

Kirbyyyyy!

Chibi Robooooo!

Shantaeeeee!

Getting Shovel Knight on Wii U, for sure.

JellySplat

JellySplat said:

@RedFireTiger

Sweet! I'm not quite old enough to have owned any of the REAL classics... But my Brother has the original Ocarina of Time gold cartridge IN THE BOX!!!
(not to mention his mint R.O.B)

ZephyrTortera

ZephyrTortera said:

I finally got to play the Bravely Default demo, and I can honestly say I want it as much as MH4, Smash, and Kirby. And that's for just playing 10 minutes! So addicting...

Epicnessofme99

Epicnessofme99 said:

This years looking awesome and I definitely would've put Monster Hunter 4 if it was confirmed for this year just because i'm really psyched for it but I don't think it'll happen and I wanted to give another game I was looking forward to a chance which is Bravely Default. Smash is also awesome and all but i'm gonna mainly be playing it on the Wii U and i'm more hyped for it on there but i'll definitely be getting the 3DS version as well.

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

While I love 2D platformers, it seems to me they are dominating (not just this list) a tad too much currently.

DF2506

DF2506 said:

I played the Bravely Default demo yesterday and LOVED IT. I want that game! Some of the other games are interesting but none of them excite me like Bravely Default does.

PrincessSugoi

PrincessSugoi said:

Kirby: Triple Deluxe by far.

I feel I should care more about PL v. PW but since I have no experience with the Layton games, I can't really get hyped about it. Excited for SSB4 but not entirely sure yet if I want the 3DS version. Shovel Knight hasn't been on my radar but looks pretty interesting, I may have to get it if the reviews are good (and the price is right). Whether I care about Bravely Default will entirely depend on the demo.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Seeing as How Shovel Knight and SSB 4 will be hitting the U, i'll go with.....Dare i say it, Kirby? :P

MJKOP

MJKOP said:

Yoshi! Only because I loved the SNES original so much, I have it on GBA too I really hope it delivers

hamsterfactor

hamsterfactor said:

I already have Bravely Default (I've only played the demo though), so my most wanted game for 2014 is Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney - huge AA fan and I've played all Layton games, including the last one which I'm playing right now.

Next is Kirby and Yoshi's Island... though to be honest it's actually Dragon Quest VII, but it hasn't been announced yet :( Would like to see Fantasy Life too.

tj3dsXL

tj3dsXL said:

#1= M.H. 4
#2= The X-Files: Resist or Serve 3D
#3= Mario Golf Tour/Kirby Triple Deluxe
Physical Copies for M.H4 & Kirby PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

accc

accc said:

The game I'm looking forward to the most is a US release of Rabi Laby Episode 3

Kirk

Kirk said:

There's obviously a few big and hopefully very good/great games on that list but I expect to see a LOT more than ten games to get genuinely excited about on a system over an entire year. Christ, I'd hope to see ten big and great games from Nintendo's first parties alone in an entire year on their flagship handheld, never mind counting any third party games.

There's realistically only four games on that list I'd even seriously consider buying, if I actually owned a 3DS/2DS, and I think any great console should have a lot more than four games I'd really want to buy in any given year.

Also, Yoshi's New Island looks like it's going to be a major disappoint based on what I've seen thus far, which is a real missed opportunity to give the fans something great in the first true sequel to what is one of thee best platform games of all time.

Kirk

Kirk said:

@R-Moss

"Smash for 3DS will be awful."

There is absolutely ZERO basis, using any kind of facts or evidence, for that assertion.

coolvw93

coolvw93 said:

Smash bros 3ds and monster hunter 4 and professor layton vs ace attorney are the ones i will defintitely be going after.

Pixel-Perfect

Pixel-Perfect said:

Right now I'd say my most anticipated game is a tie between Triple Deluxe and Bravely Default. I'm excited for Professor Layton vs Ace Attourney too. I have no idea if the 3DS version of Smash will be worth picking up since I'm getting the Wii U version for sure. Definitely looking forward to Shovel Knight, but I haven't decided what system I'll get it on.

Doma

Doma said:

I only want Smash and MH4 for sure from these, i hope for some surprises soon....

I know i'd prefer the WiiU ver of Smash, but there are even less games of interest to me on that platform, so no.

Melkaticox

Melkaticox said:

I really hope the 3DS version of Super Smash Bros. isn't the main focus of Nintendo's future marketing campaign...

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

1) Kirby: Triple Deluxe
2) Yoshi's New Island
3) Bravely Default
4) Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
5) SMB3
6) PokeBank

I'll wait to get Monster Hunter 4 for the Wii U, or I may decide to get it on the 3DS this time just so I could play Multiplayer with a few friends rather than playing alone at my house. I also prefer SSB4 on Wii U, but I may also buy it on the 3DS once again to play it on the go with friends.

ShadowFox42

ShadowFox42 said:

1. Bravely Default
2. Yoshi's New Island
3. Kirby: Triple Deluxe
4. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse

Super Smash Bros. I will be getting for the WiiU.

Darkness5000

Darkness5000 said:

1. Bravely Default
2. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright
3. Super Smash Bros. (Going to get the Wii u version too)
4. Kirby: Triple Deluxe

tabris95

tabris95 said:

I'm honestly not too excited for Smash Bros. on 3DS. We already have the WiiU version to look forward to and until they start showing us how it stands apart from its console version other than stages I am going to consider it the inferior version that I wont be buying.

Guybrush_Threepwood

Guybrush_Threepwood said:

Can't wait to play Ace Attorney vs. the lame other guy (the Phoenix Wright games are way better imho) and Mario Golf: World Tour! :)

siconlol

siconlol said:

Smash would be number one but Wii u version absolutely destroys the 3ds version Yoshis island is meh and so tied between Kirby and Bravely Default :3 I don't think a new Pokemon will come out this year, (can't wait for the hoen remake only so it can get out the way for sinnoh come in and make every other game prior look like garbage ;) )

ChronoPower

ChronoPower said:

I beat the Demo for Bravely Default yesterday, cant wait for my collectors edition to come out.
Also, yoshis Island DS was my first videogame I owned and played, so I am looking forward to the new one.

jarrettkerpan

jarrettkerpan said:

I am just waiting to see how SSB is going to play on a handheld with a very small screen. The other games pan all the way back when fighters are far away from each other. I'm looking forward to seeing how they solve this issue, or if it is even an issue

Zodiak13

Zodiak13 said:

Of the list, only Bravely Default catches my eye. I'm sure I'll buy many others, but that is the one I really want bad.

MGartist

MGartist said:

Hi, everyone! First day of being a member on this site and first comment, so here I go:
Super Smash Bros. for the 3DS is definitely top on the list of must get games for me, I've always wanted to play this game on the go! :)
Bravely Default looks like a very interesting game. The art style and colors are very eye catching and I like the FF games that I've played as well as Chrono Tigger for the DS so far, so why not? That collector's edition looks awesome too, I'd love to have the art book and soundtrack cd of this game. ^_^
I have to admit, I never played a Kirby game... (Was always interested, but never got around to playing one). This one looks really fun and I'm looking to forward to it. (I want to have a more wide interest of games beyond the ones that I've always played like Pokemon, Mario and Sonic. I am a new fan of Zelda, played Orcarina 3D for the first time and am having a blast! ^_^).
The gameplay looks really fun for the Shantae game too.
If anyone has any 3DS game recommendations, feel free to let me know. ^_^ Just got my 2DS (upgraded from a DSi) and am trying to catch up on all the awesome 3DS games.

ToadFan

ToadFan said:

The game I'm most excited for is definitely Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney. But there are many other games that I might pick up. Here are my top four games.

1. Layton vs Attorney