Nintendo Download: 17th July (North America)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Strike Force Foxx, Mr. Driller 2, making comics and discounts

It's time for the weekly Nintendo Download Update, North America, and this week brings a relatively short list for consideration. The Game Boy Advance library on the Wii U Virtual Console grows again, while we have a mix of helicopter action and comic book production over on the 3DS. Besides those additions we have a collection of discounts, with reductions on a few of the premium downloads across both current Nintendo systems. All the details are below.

Did you miss the Nintendo Download Update for Europe earlier this week? Fret not, the details are all right here.

Wii U Virtual Console

Mr. Driller 2 (Bandai Namco, $6.99) — This action puzzle franchise has had entries on Game Boy Color, GameCube, DS, DSiWare and WiiWare, while the series itself an offshoot of Dig Dug. A decent addition to the Game Boy Advance library on Wii U, this nevertheless fails to convert a solid idea into enticing modes and gameplay ideas — it had a reasonable if limited recommendation in our Mr. Driller 2 review.

Wii U eShop Temporary Discounts

Little Inferno (Tomorrow Corporation, $4.99 until 24th July, normally $9.99)

3DS eShop

Strike Force Foxx (Big John Games, $4.99) — Perhaps a title to tempt retro gamers and newcomers alike, this is a 2D action game in which you unleash explosive mayhem with a Razor-One helicopter. This has more than 35 mission to take on, and we'll see whether it flies straight in our upcoming review.

Comic Workshop (Collavier Corporation, $7.99) — This is certainly promising in principal, as it's a tool set to enable you to create your own comics and manga, with various lessons and templates to help you along. Another potential purchase for those with artistic ambitions, we'll put this to the test for our review.

3DS eShop Temporary Discounts

SteamWorld Dig (Image & Form, $4.49 until 31st July, normally $8.99)

escapeVektor (Nnooo, $3.99 until 31st July, normally $6.99)

Snow Moto Racing 3D (Zordix AB, $3.99 until 21st August, normally $5.99)

Shin Megami Tensei IV (Atlus, discounted from 21st July until 4th August)

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (Atlus, discounted from 21st July until 4th August)

A limited line-up this week, which nevertheless has a few tempting options. Let us know what you plan to pick up in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (331 votes)

Mr. Driller 2 (Wii U Virtual Console)

Little Inferno (Wii U eShop temporary discount)

Strike Force Foxx (3DS eShop)

Comic Workshop (3DS eShop)

SteamWorld Dig (3DS eShop temporary discount)

11%

escapeVektor (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Snow Moto Racing 3D (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Nothing for me this week

63%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Drac_Mazoku

Drac_Mazoku said:

Meh week. But I guess it was to be expected since everyone is downloading their CN rewards and playing that, so I guess they decided to drop any focus on the weekly eShop release. Nothing for me this week.

2Sang

2Sang said:

2 bad weeks in a row. Come on nintendo, give us that magic like e3. I don't know why they don't do their own version of a steam sale as well.

Nashew

Nashew said:

Steamworld Dig! I've been wanting to get it for a while now, but I was waiting for a sale! :D

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Anyone one that has yet to pick up Steamworld Dig needs to play this game Now! That and Shovel Knight should be requirements for all gamers.

Caryslan

Caryslan said:

Nintendo must have forgotten how to put a new Virtual Console game onto the 3DS eshop each week.

Really Nintendo, put up some Virtual Console games! Where's Final Fantasy, Donkey Kong Land, or the other NES and Game Boy games that are in the pipeline that have been out for months in other regions?

There's no excuse given there are tons of games they could put up each week.

majinx07

majinx07 said:

Wake me up when we have a week that has a game(s) that's actually worth downloading

Shotgunryugan

Shotgunryugan said:

I'm interested in Comic Workshop as I used to draw lots of comics when I was a kid(Mainly DBZ/Yugioh/Sailor Moon rip offs, lol).

I'll wait for a review first.

Zach777

Zach777 said:

After e3 Nintendo decided to vacation for the rest of 2014... Because clearly 2015 is the focus year. Clearly.

Gen0neD

Gen0neD said:

1st, the crap digital only Platinum Club Nintendo rewards and now this. NoA is on a roll.

Stu13

Stu13 said:

I second the motion that everyone should jump on that SeamWorld discount if you don't have it already. First week in a while with nothing of interest to me. yawn

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

This is where I will defend Nintendo VC at least for a week. If a 3rd party is releasing something on the VC then Nintendo needs to let them have the week to themselves in hopes of pushing their product. Better sales will mean more options of 3rd party titles.

But Nintendo should be releasing more VC titles in general.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

Nothing for me as I will be downloading Mario Kart 8, to replace the one that my youngest broke in half.

ejamer

ejamer said:

SteamWorld Dig discount is awesome if you don't already have the game.

HeroOfCybertron

HeroOfCybertron said:

Nothing for me this week probably just Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition that I haven't had a chance to get yet, though Comic Workshop looks interesting if there is a way a way to share comics like using QR codes since I'm not creative enough to make a comic but I'd be interested in looking at comics made by other people.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

You know it's bad when you can see it all without scrolling and you can see the votes... But don't worry guys, remember, we are apparently better than NoE.

@Zach777
Didn't that happen for 2013 because 2014 was the focus?

@GuitarAnthony

yeah but the fact that the 3DS actually got releases and 5 times the number of discounts makes up for the fact that there is no VC game like the Wii u did.

Mommar

Mommar said:

I'm curious what Strike Force Foxx is like but I'm very skeptical it will be any good.

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

Was hoping AVGN Adventures would arrive after hearing that "very soon" announcement. Maybe next week...

burninmylight

burninmylight said:

@Spoony_Tech

I've been wanting Steamworld Dig to come to the Wii U, then I get a 3DS as soon as that gets announced. Now I'm debating on which console to buy it for (crossbuy NIntendo, CROSSBUY!). Is it one of those games that is really meant for a handheld, or would I appreciate it more playing on an HDTV? I'm also wondering if the developer plans to add new content to the WIi U version.

Olmectron

Olmectron said:

How many weeks are left for Super Smash Bros. for 3DS?... Wake me up that week, please. Slowpoke yawn... Zzz.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@burninmylight I really do hope they add something to the U version for added incentive to re-buy. If not cross buy or a reduced early price like Swords and Soldiers should be welcomed. Say no more then 4.99 for the first month. Would like even cheaper but don't want to push my luck.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Comic Workshop sounds interesting, but I don't see myself drawing in the small screen of a 3DS, even my XL.

As many others, I heartily recommend Steamworld Dig. And the lack of games does not bother me. My WWHD is downloading, I need to claim my Platinum reward (most likely Earthbound) and I haven't even picked up Shovel Knight.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

@ColdingLight - It has only been 2 weeks. We in Europe are still waiting for those six Mega Man titles that the US got over a month ago.

@Gerbwmu - I'm pretty sure cannibalised sales doesn't factor into an emulation service for games that are up to 20 something years old. If it does - Nintendo is doing something else wrong with their VC service.

@Blast - I almost forgot that demo's were actually a feature of the 3DS and Wii U. I guess this shows how little is being released nowadays.

Olmectron

Olmectron said:

@Unca_Lz Thanks for checking it for me! Although, I would prefer to be awakened one week before, in 10 weeks and 1 day, since I forgot a great Wii U game which is released that date.

Ralek85

Ralek85 said:

Wohoo, Soul Hackers on sale ... must be an odd calendar week. ^^
Just kidding, although I wonder why those Atlus games seem to be on constant sale. It's the same for PSN really.
Nothing for WiiU, no surprise there. Maybe I'll live to see a Nintendo sale similar to anything M$ or especially Sony tend to come up over the summer, or on christmas, or any other time they feel like it.

Olmectron

Olmectron said:

@sinalefa So many great games. Right? I bought Shovel Knight for both Wii U and 3DS. I loved the game, and got a little bit obsessed with it; but still, I regret I had to delay my The Wonderful 101 purchase another month...

SavoirFaire

SavoirFaire said:

Picked up NES remix as my play reward so that and my massive backlog will keep me busy another week. Id really like to see the old final fantasy series on the VC one day. Also 1941/1942/Lifeforce/blaster master would be nice as well. For someone that hates the way Nintendo's account system works, I have spent a ton of money on it...

I got steamworld dig last time it was on sale. Great game even at full price. My only gripe is I would have preferred it on Wii U as I like the big screen to play on :)

Luigi_is_better

Luigi_is_better said:

Does anyone know anything about Wii Karaoke U coming to North America or the Wii version that supposedly got released last week? I can't find that one anywhere. But I'd definitely prefer the Wii U version anyway.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Well, another lackluster week, but at least I got NES Remix and Sniper Elite III!

Although that helicopter game sounds interesting...I hope it gets a good review score.

Memeboy3

Memeboy3 said:

Seriously, You guys can't even give SteamWorld Dig or Comic Worskshop a chance?!
This isn't a bad week at all.

TheKingOfTown

TheKingOfTown said:

These days, bad weeks almost never come up. After suffering through the horrible weeks of the late Wii and DSi days, these Wii U and 3DS updates are much better.

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

@ZachBeacon Kind of makes sense given that Earthbound is free via Platinum rewards. People were angry enough about no physical goods but having a sale item would make the situation worse.

mr_nihilism

mr_nihilism said:

Thanks, big N, for giving me the perfect opportunity to both save money and try and finish off the games I've already got. You're the best!

ZachBeacon

ZachBeacon said:

@Grumblevolcano I'm not sure most would go for a $10 game as the Platinum reward anyway...especially when it ought to have been a monthly reward or a sale item by now.

Granted I wish I had gone with Earthbound or NES Remix because I am NOT happy with Donkey Kong Returns 3D

Xtremetdifan

Xtremetdifan said:

This is a bad week? That comic workshop sounds promising, and a dreamworld discount is begging me to buy it.

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

@ZachBeacon Earthbound would still give points towards the digital deluxe promotion though even if unwanted so I'd guess it would be a more popular choice than DKCR3D and Fluidity at least (provided they owned a 32GB Wii U).

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

For 8 dollars on PSN, I got Wild Arms 1 and 2, Syphon Filter 1, 2 and 3, the Legend of Dragoon and a new costume for FF Dissidia 012.
The same price as one SNES VC game.
Nintendo, if you're reading this, you're about to drop the last ball. You're a blind juggler and you're losing your audience.
Why does Miiverse support crap like The Letter? The dev engages with his audience, responds and seems to want to make it better.
Is it pure garbage? Sounds like it. Is he still doing a better job catering to his fans? If not, why are we getting ONE VC game when literally NOTHING else is out this week on Wii U?
Drop the 'Club Nintendo was our focus' excuses and start taking this seriously again. There's alot of games coming out, eventually, yes, but I'm not so far invested that I won't just drop your half baked console like a bad habit.

ModestFan93

ModestFan93 said:

@Olmectron October 3rd.

Where the hell is Pokémon Trading Card game?!? And Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland. Ugh tired of Europe getting important stuff before us.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

@Spoony_Tech

Is SteamWorld Dig really that good? Jus saw it on sale in the price drop section & watched the trailer for it. Really look's tempting. Debating whether to get it. :)

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

Nothing for me this week, but then I still have a huge backlog and have Arkham Origins on it's way thanks to an Amazon price too good to pass on. I also need to save the rest of my gaming budget for the year for Smash Bros U and hopefully a few other Virtual Console/eShop gems.

Zodiak13

Zodiak13 said:

I'm ok with these small weeks. I have lots to catch up on from that last month or so.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

@ZachBeacon Of course not, We don't get sales that Europe gets. Also the fact that Earthbound was a Platinum reward definitely means there is no discount because Nintendo doesn't want to lose even more money.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@Barbiegurl777 @Zodiak13 Thanks for the answer on my part and yes it's that good. At first I just couldn't get into it and thought it was a waste for my time and money. Found out I was playing it wrong. I was just digging everything up looking for stuff and in the dark might I add. Later on I was told I was a fool ok not really but I gave it another shot after a friend told me to dig paths and not just everything up and boy did the game open up like night and day. To this day it and Shovel Knight are by far the 2 best offerings on the shop. Not saying there isn't good stuff there but they're in a league of their own!

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

People are crying doom and gloom, seriously? The past couple of months left me with a HUGE e-Shop backlog - I finished Shovel Knight and Guacamelee, still have to get Armillo, Stick it to the Man, Bombing Bastards, Scram Kitty, and One Piece. Some weaker weeks are to be expected.

Igmx

Igmx said:

Seriously, it feels like these Shin Megami Tensei games get discounted every freaking week.

mullen

mullen said:

FYI, I think (as far as I know) the comic workshop's tutorial is just about how to use its tools, not about how to draw comic.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, because if it also teach you how to draw comic, similar to art academy, I will definitely buy it.

daveh30

daveh30 said:

Also, The Letter, which released in the US last week, comes out in Canada today... for those who are interested.

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

Even though I'm a semi-professional graphic novelist I still DLed comic workshop as it looked like fun to mess around with.

Linker2A03

Linker2A03 said:

I downloaded Comic Workshop the minute the eShop uploaded! Once I get a chance to really use it, I might post what I think about it.

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

Hmmm Little Inferno seems to be praised by many but I wonder how much of a "game" it actually is. Anybody know if it worth a purchase?

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I was really hoping that North America would of gotten the Earthbound discount Europe received, but I'm not surprised we didn't. We got it as a Club Nintendo reward for platinum members after all. Nothing beyond that for me this week!

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Today is a good day. Why, you might ask? Well, I've finally come to a place where I've given up waiting for VC games to release that I want to play. No more, I say. I fired up DKC Diddy's Kong Quest yesterday on ol' Betsy (my original Wii) and enjoyed it thoroughly. Today, I play some more. When I'm done, I'm moving on to DKC 3 Dixie Kong's Double Trouble. And after that, the original Donkey Kong Country.

Ahhhh yes, it feels good to give up. It feels good to stop waiting for newer versions and just play the VC games I want to play, when I want to play them. I've got a decent selection on Wii U, and I'll definitely play those too (like Earthbound, Metroid Fusion, Minish Cap, etc), but for all the rest that haven't released yet on Wii U, the ol' Betsy versions will do just fine I say.

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

Nintendo doesn't seem keen in dishing out the proposed 9 million for Rare's DKC, Jet Force Gemini, and DK64 or the proposed 14 million for Banjo Kazooie so it's pretty plain to see that Nintendo is waiting for the Wii U to take off. How many systems sold? An economist friend of mine is pretty pessimistic. To the tune of 22 million systems sold.
From what I heard, the 3 games are under a single banner, seeing as Microsoft can't use DK and apparently has zero interest in JFG. Banjo Kazooie, on the other hand, is one I've heard MS is VERY interested in doing an HD re-release for.
All this is pretty negative, I realize, and could pertain to hundreds more games (Square Enix, Konami, Sega to name a few). On the plus side, Wooden Sen Sey drops onto the NA eShop next week. After a few overly simplistic titles, it looks like Neko has finally found a solid action platformer.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Darn it, no Sub Wars discount! If they had provided it this week, I would've gone for it to also get the Blue Marine. Now, I'll just forever stick to the free version.

Strike Force Foxx sounds very interesting, though. I look forward to reading its review.

ogo79

ogo79 said:

@Zach777
yes were joking. you were on to us the whole time werent you? it was all a joke. its fixed now above. mother 3 was added. go head have a look, go on now, take a peek...

CaPPa

CaPPa said:

@Dpishere
Little Inferno is definitely worth buying for $4.99.

As to how much of a game is there, well all you really do is burn things to get money to buy more things to burn. There are combinations of items to work out (some are incredibly vague) and you progress through a story (which is also very vague). It is unlike any other game, despite the rather light gameplay and story it becomes a real thought provoking experience.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

@Spoony_Tech

Lol & hmm... I'll probably download steamworld dig on the 3ds e-shop tonight. Haha you had to throw in shovel knight lol maybe if the price goes down on shovel knight I might cave but it's the old school snes graphic's that annoy me about shovel knight for some reason don't get me wrong I love old school & SNES was my favorite console for loong time but I love the graphic's on the 3ds like mk7, animal crossing new leaf, etc

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

Action51

Action51 said:

People of Nintendolife:

Don't be afraid to check out Mr. Driller 2. It's a great little puzzle game that will keep you up past your bedtime and wanting to try that stage 1 more time...

Nice for me that when I downloaded it I got an E-shop Deluxe Digital promotion bonus $5 too!

Yrreiht

Yrreiht said:

Why are the SMT games not on sale for me? They are still the same price on the eShop. The Etrian Odyssey are on sale though, but I already have both of them...

Edit: NVM, I really need new glasses -_-''

Windy

Windy said:

I was hoping we would see Outrun and Fantasy Zone II today. Can't wait to see what Outrun looks like in 3d. I will buy fantasy zone to support sega since they are the only company pumping out 3d classics and darn good one too. Galaxy Force was an amazing example of what a 3d game should look like on 3ds. Just awesome

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Not a great week by any means, but if you don't have Steamworld Dig, buy that. Awesome game.

tcpunx

tcpunx said:

Are we supposed to be getting more Sega 3D classics soon? I kind of figured the next round was on the distant horizon...

Jayvir

Jayvir said:

Kinda meh. I'm a fan of Mr. Driller but there are far better versions than that. Too bad we are still in that dumb summer game drought. Luckily starting in September, we have at least one big title a month. It will more than make up for these mild weeks.

Beau_Skunk

Beau_Skunk said:

Meh, once again no Virtual Console game for us 3DS-owners. (Goodness, I've been waiting for "Bubble Bobble" sense it was released in Japan back in October! It's been almost a year! Not to mention Japan also has the entire "Donkey Kong Land" Gameboy trilogy for 3DS. No clue if issues with Rare/Microsoft will keep it off the American/European Eshops, or not... Japan has less strict copyright laws.)

Steamworld Dig at the lower price looks tempting though, is it worth 5 bucks?