Nintendo 64 Titles Heading to the Wii U Virtual Console

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Update - this is not new

Update:

As pointed out and checked on our system, Nintendo 64 games were mentioned way back when the Virtual Console launched on Wii U, in a system notification. To break into first person, this was a result of a short memory on my part (I thought this was new text), so my apologies.

Original article:

The Wii U Virtual Console has had its critics, justifiably, though since April has at least served up some fresh content in the form of Game Boy Advance titles; when you throw in the attractive scanned manuals and features to adjust the visuals, they've been a welcome addition. The platform is still lagging behind its Wii contemporary, however, and is taking a good while to catch up.

One missing system is the Nintendo 64, home to some all-time classics and a favourite of retro gamers, in particular. Its arrival has had an air of inevitability, and it seems that the official Nintendo of America website, namely on the Wii U Virtual Console page, has let slip that the system will be added; we're not even sure whether this text is new — especially due to the GBA reference — yet it seems like the most solid confirmation we've seen that this platform is coming in the reasonable future. You can see the paragraph in question below.

It may not be the GameCube line-up that some of us are dreaming of — we still hope the upcoming Wii U controller adapter will pave the way for that — but we suspect this would be a well-received update to the roster of systems on the Wii U's VC. The system's games can already be accessed via the Wii Mode, of course, though there'd be greater convenience to have these titles available on the newer store, along with GamePad functionality.

Would you be pleased to see Nintendo 64 games on the Wii U Virtual Console?

[via nintendo.com, alwaysnintendo.com]

Peach64

Peach64 said:

As I said in the thread about the VC earlier, I'd really like Cube games, but Nintendo need to focus on new, Wii U games far more than the VC. I'm quite happy for them to just try and get the Wii U services up to date with the Wii service (only talking about first party here) for now.

SuperSammy64

SuperSammy64 said:

Wait, how is this a rumor? I believe I heard this announcement in a Nintendo Direct from early 2013.

Jayvir

Jayvir said:

Super Mario 64 has NOT aged that well. I found it very difficult to play that game when I tried recently just because of the camera

WiiULoveSquid

WiiULoveSquid said:

Better have pixel perfect settings for 1080p display. Not really into N64 games anymore though.

Andremario

Andremario said:

This is good news but not surprising. I was expecting such. Now all they gotta do is get gba/snes on 3ds and we'll be cool.

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

Disappointed as for the best N64 games either you can already get it on Wii VC (e.g. SM64, MK64, OoT, MM) or it will never be released on VC at all (e.g. DK64), would much rather Gamecube and DS came first (I'm not counting Brain Training),

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

In relates news it was just leaked that the Cube will also be announced soon. The very first game to be added to the Cube VC line up.............Wind Waker! :P

Fauxhebro

Fauxhebro said:

You know its all about the price and the games released. Wouldn't mind paying 10 bucks for some good classics but id be disappointed if they released something like burger king racing.

PKpunky

PKpunky said:

This has been on the website for a long time now. I don't know how anyone could have missed it.

123akis

123akis said:

@ThomasBW84 I think Nintendo wrote in the notification we all received on our Wii U when the Wii U Virtual console service that N64 will be added in the future EDIT: As nobody has said anything about N64 on Wii U for a long time most of us has forgotten about it

8BitPenguin

8BitPenguin said:

Sorry to rain on your parade but thats been up there since last year and not a word has ever been said about it (ok, maybe whispers, but nothing substancial)

BillyCupid

BillyCupid said:

This has definitely been on the website a very long time. I read the same paragraph when I bought my Wii U a year ago. I remember because I was surprised about the mention of GBA games.

Dr_Corndog

Dr_Corndog said:

SM64 has aged just fine. DK64, on the other hand...

It seems silly to me, though, that we had hundreds of games released on the Wii's VC, and now we're having to wait for the exact same games to be slowly doled out on the Wii U.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Meh, F-Zero X and Conker's Bad Fur Day are the only N64 games that are still good today. The rest fell victim to time and refined design from successors without leaving much uniqueness behind.

DakotaM47

DakotaM47 said:

I read the title and had a head seizure. I thought it meant release date. Don't do dis to me guys. :3

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

@SuperSammy64
You're right. It was announced in the same Direct as SNES and NES. GBA was announced too.

Even earlier than that though, NOA said TBGX-16 was on the way to 3DS. I'm still waiting.

Psyclone

Psyclone said:

Imagine if they brought back Goldeneye 007 or Perfect Dark with online multiplayer! my god!... one can dream one can dream...

gohanrage

gohanrage said:

I still do not own Super Mario 64. I played it many times. When I got my N64 the first game I bought was Mario Kart 64.

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

Harvest Moon 64 will make me the happiest man alive. Seriously DO IT. I've played Back to Nature but I've never played 64. I heard the 64 have different characters and stuff but the main gameplay is the same!

Discipledoctor

Discipledoctor said:

My heart rose...and my heart fell.

It's not new, but at least it's been confirmed, even if it's been for over a year. One day, one day.

bofis

bofis said:

I'm more excited if this means I can play Mario Kart 64 with the Pro Controller and GamePad instead of only classic controllers

HappyHappyist

HappyHappyist said:

N64 had probably some of the most games I don't care for. I think Mario 64 and Majora's Mask are the two best things to come from the N64, and those two games have been remade.

Fauxhebro

Fauxhebro said:

Just make the pro controller for wii u compatible with the wii mode. Maybe they cant do it wirelessly but maybe they can do something through the charger.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

I hope it is not too much for me saying this but.... it's about bloody time.

Jenraux

Jenraux said:

@Hy8ogen HM64 has the same characters as Back To Nature, but is set in a different village, and character personalities are somewhat different as the games were developed simultaneously and the dev teams went their own way with design.

Both great games if you're into HM though... Also I only seem to comment on stuff related to HM on here...

theberrage

theberrage said:

Unfortunately they will just release games already released on Wii . Nothing to see here.

SahashraLA

SahashraLA said:

I'm hoping that the GC adapter can be used with both these and the Wii mode's VC titles. The Classic Pro's analog stick just doesn't do that well with replacing the C buttons. Zelda's outings in particular are much more frustrating on the Wii VC.

GamecubeComplex

GamecubeComplex said:

Bomberman 64, Nintendo! Make it happen! I really want to play that game...
Seriously though, this is exciting. I hope for a couple of the gems from the Wii VC- Mario 64 comes to mind, since I've never played the original, only DS- but I can dream, can't I? I never actually owned a Classic Controller, so I want some of the previous VC games.

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

If they could port over the Wii's N64 library in the space of a month or so and that add to it, this would be golden!

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

Still not sure why people can't just simply buy them off of the Wii Shop through the Wii U's Wii mode. You can play N64 games no problem doing that, though I am guessing people want gamepad support, but you can just buy them on the Wii Shop then upgrade them to Wii U version once they become available there.

ghasfarost

ghasfarost said:

@Dr_Corndog Its all nintendo's fault and NOT making the Wii a more robust system. Now that they are finally going thru major architecture changes to make descent online services, VC from Wii just cannot work out of the box on WiiU.

ghasfarost

ghasfarost said:

@Dpishere that is exactly what i am doing... though it is certainly sad to watch the Wii Shop and contemplate around 24 titles only for N64 available for purchase. It seems all of them are first party only. It makes me wonder if someday third party publishers will come back to WiiU and re-publish their old games U_U

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

@ghasfarost Yeah, though I know it isn't possible I would have liked to be able to purchase Jet Force Gemini, Goldeneye, and Donkey Kong 64 to able to play on my Wii. Ah well...

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

@Jenraux I'm a big Harvest Moon fan too! I've play almost every Harvest Moon game there is and Back to Nature is by far my favorite game in the series. I hope someday we will see a full on 2.5D Harvest Moon game with gorgeous graphics. Imagine the possibilities! And also NO MORE 3D Harvest Moon game...please they are just dreadful.

KillScottKill

KillScottKill said:

@Dpishere posts like this are so asinine. It really confuses me what is running through people's brains when they try to make this point.

How about this:

The Wii U VC has save states, the Wii VC does not.

The Wii U VC has Gamepad, and thus off screen play. The Wii VC does not.

The Wii VC on Wii U doesn't support GameCube controllers (yet), so you have to play N64 games with the far inferior Classic Controller and Classic Controller Pro. N64 games on the Wii U VC would assuredly support the Pro Controller, which is far more preferable.

For those who don't use credit cards, Nintendo eShop cards are far easier to find than archaic Wii Point cards.

How's that for all the reasons as to why people would prefer N64 games being ported over to the Wii U VC?

SahashraLA

SahashraLA said:

3 titles I do have some hope left for seeing on the Wii U VC would have to be Goemon, Megaman 64 and Neon Genesis Evangelion. With Goemon showing up on the VC, Megaman showing up multiple times on the VC (for NES, SNES and GBA) and a revitalization to Evangelion (continued film support and talks of a remastered series), these 3 additions wouldn't be entirely out of place.
I could even see Konami dropping Castlevania 64, having poor sales and pulling complete support from even the VC.
Which would suck, as, again, Contra, Metal Gear and every amazing GBA / DS Castlevania would go by the wayside.
Doubly so should GC titles hit the VC. I'd be upset not to have a playable copy of Twin Snakes.
Then again, if Capcom steps up with Viewtiful Joe, Megaman Collection, RE4, Power Stone, MvC and (I can't stress this enough) Bionic Commando. I'm also hoping that Darkstalkers makes it's way to Nintendo at some point. Anniversary Collection? I'd buy a PS3 for that. Not even joking. Though, I'd prefer a 360, for access to Radiant Silvergun, Guardian Heroes and the Fable titles (not all, most).
RPGs, with customizable levelling (ala Xenoblade Chronicles, Dragon Age) would greatly benefit from the Gamepad. Darksiders 2 did. I guess my rant can be summarized in 5 points:
1) More Capcom and Konami on the VC
2) More imports on the VC
3) More classic upgrades (Rebirth was nice, let's keep that going) that are already available elsewhere
4) A new Capcom RPG (Breath of Fire would be sweet) with custom levelling and skill trees
5) GC and N64 asap
and hey, if you want 6, then let's keep the train going.. MOTHER, MOTHER 3! MOTHER, MOTHER 3!

Jenraux

Jenraux said:

@Hy8ogen latest I've played is Grand Bazaar on my (3)DS, haven't played any of the 3DS ones yet, was waiting for them to get a handle on it before I had a go.

A Wonderful Life on the PS2 was good, and just had a blast finishing Hero of Leaf Valley on my PSVita, so they've managed decent 3d ones in the past.

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

@KillScottKill I am a different type of gamer it seems, as none of those features, while they are nice, are necessary for me. I just want to be able to play the games, extra features are just that, extra. I still boot up my old N64 to play my old games, I didn't need those features to enjoy them then, and I don't now. You got me on the old Wii Points system though, THAT is archaic!

Henmii

Henmii said:

Hopefully they go a bit further this time and add lots of stuff! Like Donkey kong 64 or Banjo tooie (my expansion pack doesn't work anymore, so it would be appreciated)! Yeah I know, the Rare debacle and stuff. But a man can dream!

Mario-Fan

Mario-Fan said:

yeah id love to see Nintendo 64 games on the Wii U. but i really think nintendo is forgetting about the gamecube. id love to see Super Mario Sunshine or Dubble Dash on the Wii U virtual concole. or even better would be to see an HD remix for those gamecube games and more. but for now, ill love to see Super Mario 64 or the origional Super Smash Bros on the Wii U Virtual Console.

Gonzo1

Gonzo1 said:

The only thing that annoys me with VC console is that all the titles I've got on Wii mode, I've got to buy them again if I want to use them with the Gamepad.

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

Might as well delete the article then, since it's not new news. Hah. Got me hyped up for nothing! :( I still go into Wii mode to play the N64 games.

wayneyrob22

wayneyrob22 said:

it won`t be the gamecube as i and a lot of others wish, f zero gx would be downloaded in 1080p like hot cakes, but nintendo decide to release a bunch of old school games, game boy advance and a flirt with n64 games, nintendo wonder why the system is struggling.

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

@KillScottKill
1. Never really seen the point in savestates.
2. You can have the Gamepad as a screen on Wii VC games, just your controller would have to be the Classic or Gamecube controller.
3. You can use unofficial Gamecube controller adapters that plug into your Wii remote.
4. Eshop cards can be redeemed on the Wii Shop Channel

wayneyrob22

wayneyrob22 said:

this is why nintendo need to open their eyes, not because i am typing on my laptop and somebody is watching what i write, nintendo make it very hard for anybody to do that, hence flash and other updates only come from nintendo.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

They would have to all be 60hz for me to be interested. (The Windwaker bonus disk was even with the European Languages in it).

And it would have to be more like the quality of the GBA (Not like NES/SNES/DS that are not acceptable).

Blue-Thunder

Blue-Thunder said:

I'm shock, but I'm happy. The N64 is home to some great games. The problem is I bought all these games first time round, then I bought them on Wii VC and I'm not buying them again. For anyone who doesn't own them it's really good news.

WanderingPB

WanderingPB said:

@Peach64 I agree Nintendo needs to focus primarily on the New Wii U games being developed but its also important to continue to improve the Operating system b/c its ridiculous that the Wii has features the Wii U doesnt. Also since we've already seen or have purchased the VC games from the Wii why not focus on bringing something fresh to the VC like the entire Gamecube library. Still im glad that Nintendo is really trying

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Grumblevolcano Do you see the point of the Rumble Pak ? That will be able to be supported.

They should support everything but I know they won't. (The same method they use to transfer mii's between 3DS and Wii U could be used to transfer in lieu of the transfer pak).

wayneyrob22

wayneyrob22 said:

back to the virtual console nintendo will not put gamecube games on because it will cost them too much, the same as they did not make the wii hi def, they are scared of going under like sega nearly did and many older companies did, fzero in 1080p anybody? what are they bothered about?

LtAldoRaine

LtAldoRaine said:

Does anyone know for a fact why Nintendo removed the DKC trilogy from the Wii VC? I hope whatever the reason, that doesn't stop Nintendo from getting DK64 on the Wii U. And getting the DKC trilogy back would be nice as well.

wayneyrob22

wayneyrob22 said:

games on virtual conole n64, rr64, perfect dark but that is unlikely because microsoft own rare now, world driver championship, rush 2049 for some reason nintendo put crusin usa on wii vc, the lowest rated driving game?? how about quake ii,

rjejr

rjejr said:

Its on the Nintendo website so it must be true. We'll be buying N64 VC right after we start using our 2nd Gamepads.

"Other Controllers
The Wii U console is capable of supporting two Wii U GamePad controllers,"

And that webpage has been updated since launch, it lists the price as $299.99 MSRP for the Deluxe, no price for the Basic, so I think its' legit.
With thanks to @gatorboi352 for the link.

wayneyrob22

wayneyrob22 said:

you can have a n64 modified now so it can display in 1080p, it does have an svideo signal anyway.

wayneyrob22

wayneyrob22 said:

the wii u can ony support one gamepad, it`s intended for a second screen for multiplayer and multi functional that usually can not be operated by normal controller.

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

@rjejr We'll probably be getting a unified account system around then too as Treehouse had the 2 Gamepads and Reggie talking about his 3DS problems.

wayneyrob22

wayneyrob22 said:

it`s not possible that two gamepads can run on the same wii u system, you have to remember that a wii u game pad is a virtual addition to the wii u and is a major part of the wii u, it recieves and sends data to the wii u, the wii u can operate independantly from the gamepad but relys on a signal coming from the gamepad and vice versa, in essence you could say they are two pieces of tech, but they need each other, nintendo will have protected this very heavily, happy gaming, lets see what happens.

GN004Nadleeh

GN004Nadleeh said:

it is about time! like persona 3 and 4 i like to have the original discs for ps2 and also digital on ps3 and updated versions on vita/psp. my 2ds is pretty much a zelda ds. hope they have off tv play

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

N64 games were confirmed to be coming by Nintendo in the January 2013 Nintendo Direct along with GBA games. And then they were never mentioned again, like Fire Emblem x SMT in the same Direct.

wayneyrob22

wayneyrob22 said:

lets hope nintendo get some more games out there because for whatever reason a lot of american studios are not, me personally not too bothered about ea, i can only recall call of duty franchise and fifa 07 on gamecube being particularly good, thing is it`s not good being a nintendo fan when the big boys are saying "go get yourself a propper console"

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

I'm guessing at some point we'll see all Mario Kart games aside from 7 and Wii on Wii U.at some point. An update for Wii to work in Wii U mode would be awesome, but likely impossible.

Dreamz

Dreamz said:

Yes! I've been waiting for this since I picked up my Wii U.

Games I hope to see:

• Super Mario 64
  • Star Fox 64
  • Blast Corps
  • Pilot Wings 64
  • Bomberman 64
  • Perfect Dark
maceng

maceng said:

@Peach64
I think that Nintendo should focus on both. For this year we have like 6-8 AAA retail titles (DKTF, Mario Kart 8, Hyrule Warriors, Smash Bros, Captain Toad, Wii U Sports, and so on), plus several download-only titles (a la NES Remix). That's much more than can be handle by one team. So, if there's another team handling VC releases, no harm done. Overall, the attach rate for games for the GameCube wast like 11 games/console, while that number dropped to 8 for the Wii. For the WiiU this number is 5.5 so far. Which means, that Nintendo just need to continue with its trend while adding more options. Maybe, now Big N needs an attach rate of 5 retail games plus 8 download-only games to break even and further increase the user base.

joey302

joey302 said:

By the time they get n64 on wii u vc I'll be dead!! Lol still waiting on Genesis too but SEGA being stupid!!

biglittlejake

biglittlejake said:

Now the question is do I just get a classic controller and buy OOT, and Majoras Mask, maybe even Paper Mario 64? Or do I wait which could be years. I just bought my Wii U this Spring. So I am still trying to catch up on games.

Game-Over

Game-Over said:

Good to hear this, like with the original Wii the VC is such an important part of the Wii U and updates like this are badly needed to keep things interesting. Patience has been a bit of virtue when it's come to the Wii U VC, it's good to see that it's starting to pay off. Hopefully more consoles are to follow.

NImH

NImH said:

@wayneyrob22 Nintendo officially stated Wii U was compatible with 2 gamepads when it was released. That's already been established, so I don't know where you're pulling those "facts" from.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@biglittlejake Depends whether you are bothered about a working Stone of Agony.

(Or if you are in the PAL region where the only version that is 60hz is still the one on the Gamecube bonus disk - it also fully supports the rumble for the stone of agony).

Hero-of-WiiU

Hero-of-WiiU said:

Thanks a lot, was hyped for majoras mask to come to Wii U as if I bought it in Wii mode I would have to play it on small gamepad as the TV emits weird colors. Be careful with future articles like this.

CrabGats

CrabGats said:

@SuperSammy64 I admire you pulling out a dictionary, Sammy, but bodacious is too lukewarm of a word to be using to describe a game as ground breaking as Super Mario 64, don't you think?

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

If only the powers that be could somehow bestow upon us the RARE N64 titles we all deserve on the VC.

grumblegrumble

grumblegrumble said:

Please... release... Tetrisphere !!! :) I have been dying to play that again since the late 90's. It's a well forgotten little gem.. you can't even see a page for it here on NL. But it rules! Oh, and Banjo-Kazooie!

DBPirate

DBPirate said:

Glad they re-confirmed this. I was worrying Nintendo 64 games wouldn't even be coming and would be replaced by GBA.

allav866

allav866 said:

Please, DK64. Please, DK64. Please, DK64. Please, DK64. Please, DK64. Please, DK64. Please, DK64. Please, DK64. Please, DK64. Please, DK64!

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

The first one they will release is super mario 64 and im getting it cause i want to play it again.

ChessboardMan

ChessboardMan said:

Ok there's a lot of comments, so I don't know if someone has mentioned it, but… Pokemon Snap with integrated MiiVerse.
Nintendo made it so that the Wii VC version could export to messages, and even to the memory card if memory serves me right?
Though it could be a lot of work for something that people will have a laugh with for a couple days, then forget about…

Austroid

Austroid said:

I already bought all the N64 games I could want off Wii's VC.

Maybe if they added Pilotwings 64...

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

@Grumblevolcano ocarina of time and majoras mask are not on wii vc anymore. LOADS of wii vc consoles are disappeared. I suspect as they are coded for wii u they are dropped from wii heading towards a launch framework on wii vc

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

Bringing Conkers Bad Fur Day, Killer Instinct Gold, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie and Donkey Kong 64 would be AMAZING

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

@Mitsuko_Chan????? They're not dead, they're owned by Microsoft whichbis actually worse and is the actual reason Rare game won't be appearing on Wii U VC

odd69

odd69 said:

I'll support N64 on the WiiU, just like i did with Wii. I just hope they release games that are not already on the Wii.

8BitSamurai

8BitSamurai said:

If they can't even put out a decent selections for the systems they have out on it now, what would be the point?

Action51

Action51 said:

I am gonna be "that guy" to say it:

N64 is EASILY my least favorite Nintendo console (aside from the Virtual Boy)

I was also not a Rare worshipper...though I did enjoy their SNES games.

whodatninja

whodatninja said:

**** YEAH! Now i can hopefully get to play Majora's Mask in a non-blurry state. (tried hooking up my old N64 and it looks awful :()

zool

zool said:

If its true it is for Nintendo's benefit more than ours.

To fill that games gap that the Wii u suffers from while making money for Nintendo.

Will the games be untouched and a low price. I think not.

Will they get a face lift and be sold at £50 as the Windwaker was. I think so.

8BitSamurai

8BitSamurai said:

@Action51
I'm gonna be "that other guy" and agree with your comment wholeheartedly. Personally, I can only think of a select few games I'd like to see on the VC.

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

@DESS-M-8 I've just checked and they're still there. Nothing seems to have changed since the Commodore 64 games were removed last August (all of them).

Volmun

Volmun said:

I just hope Kirby 64 / Crystle Shards comes out as its one of the (main) Kirby games I havnt played

Sandro89

Sandro89 said:

Just downloaded Minish Cap. Very good game.

Games I want in the future.

• Super mario rpg
  • Paper mario n64
  • Mario 64x4
  • Metroid Zero Mission
daniruy

daniruy said:

I would gladly accept Super Mario 64 in every incarnation of the game, because it is awesome - even the DS version, which isn't so good and has good (but not awesome) controls. I would be happy in playing this beauty in my GamePad.

That said, I would like to see:

• Jet Force Gemini (I think it's rare, so forget it).
  • Perfect Dark (forget it as well)
  • Goldeneye 007 (again)
  • Conker's Bad Fur Day (...)
  • Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie (...)
  • Diddy Kong Racing (...)
  • Blast Corps (...)

(Rare was TRULY important for me, I'm realizing...)

GXPblog

GXPblog said:

Uh oh. I can see myself blowing hundreds of pounds on the Wii U Virtual Console when I can finally get my hands on one! >.<

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

No. I had a Playstation during that era precisely because there wasn't anything on the N64 that interested me. I tried (and disliked) Mario 64, so I'll likely get that just because it will be discounted, but other than Tetrisphere (which was originally destined for the Atari Jaguar until Nintendo poached it), I can't think of anything I'd want to see. Maybe Body Harvest?

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

I'd say Yes. Mostly, I just want to play Gamecube titles, but it was also inevitable that the N64 would come first so it's a step in the right direction. Not sure how many titles I would be 'repurchasing', maybe just Mario and the 2 Zeldas, but if they can get some fresh N64 games too like Castlevania 64 then I'd be prepared to lay some extra money on the table.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Loved my N64 back in the day. I'm excited to buy all the games again! I wouldn't mind them giving the games the HD treatment though. :-D

XyVoX

XyVoX said:

LOOK if Nintendo release N64 games in UK/europe and its the same 50hz rubbish slowed down gameplay they did on the Wii then they need shooting, The N64 sucked big time in 50hz i can tell ya.

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

There's only one big reason why I hope N64 games arrive on Wii U Virtual Console: The controller options. Now that I have all my previous Virtual Console games on Wii U, I can't stand playing some of my 64 games using just the Classic Controller Pro. Star Fox 64's controls are a pain, and to an extent the same applies for the original Super Smash Bros. I simply can't stand using the Classic Controller for N64 games, I miss having a GameCube control option. :(

To be honest, if GameCube controllers were currently usable on Wii U I wouldn't have a need for N64 games on Wii U's VC.

KevTastic84

KevTastic84 said:

Would probably pay the upgrade fee from my Wii VC purchased versions of Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time so i could play them using the Wii U Gamepad.

Melkac

Melkac said:

@Jayvir Yup, it hasn't aged well at all. It's still a surprisingly fun game to play if you can ignore the stiff controls for Mario, weird camera controls and sometimes awkward level design. The same can't be said for the Sonic Adventure games.

noctowl

noctowl said:

Sigh...the GameCube controller adapter has nothing to do with GameCube VC. Zero. None. Nada. If they ever do make GameCube VC the gamepad and pro controllers will be compatible. The option to use GameCube controllers are just that, an option.

But noctowl! Teh analog triggerz!!!11! Give me a break. GameCube, 360, PS3, I've beaten a huge list of games over the years and not one time did I need analog triggers. Offer better control and precision? absolutely. Required to beat a game? Never.

Gashole

Gashole said:

So THAT'S how little the attention is for Wii U right now! I always wondered. Thanks again, Nintendo Life!

mrchills

mrchills said:

I really wouldn't hold your breath for any vc games from consoles better than super Nintendo. Playing those old games was the best part of my wii. When I first heard mentions of the wii u, talk of the wii u vc included n64 AND gamecube games. I was so excited! Im confident that whatever technical limitations have prohibited Nintendo from putting up n64 games on wii u vc for the last few years hasn't changed. There's a reason why Link to the Past is the most high tech game on wii u vc.

Pj1

Pj1 said:

I reckon Donkey Kong 64 won't appear on the service as it was made by rare, I was very disappointed that I missed the deadline to download them on the Wii VC snes service, I did have them all but I don't think they transferred that well from Wii to Wii-U. I will probably download M.K 64 but I'll miss for now Mario 64 until Nintendo say that G.C controllers will work for that service, I actually prefer the G.C controller to the N64 one. I don't know why, I find the N64 controller playing Mario 64 tricky compared to the cube controller. Looking forward to Nintendo announcing a date for Gamecube titles to hit Wii-U VC.... but I think they will release those adapter things first. ;-)

eltomo

eltomo said:

Pleased! I've fallen in love with the game pad it goes everywhere with me in the house!

N64 titles will be another topping to a cake that won't fall! :)

Thulfram

Thulfram said:

@eltomo

You must live in a small house with paper walls. If I take the GamePad into the other room, it loses the signal!

Naoiko

Naoiko said:

It's really nice that they at least came out and confirmed it. Their are a few games I'd love to see hit the eshop, as the prices online for them are WAY to expensive for my taste. Banjo Tooie maybe?

S3OL

S3OL said:

Would rather the Gamecube games came out first.

But if that isn't the case, then I'd really like for Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie to be amongst the launch titles for the N64 VC.

Graeme

Graeme said:

Sorry if this has already been asked but why does the Virtual Console seem such a head Ache for Nintendo? Is there a reason you couldn't have say 4 people who have a full time job to set up the Virtual Console and load games weekly/monthly? Also why do they insist on releasing terrible games for it when they have thousands of classics?

It is all very frustrating at times