Nintendo Download: 13th March (North America)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Yoshi, retro Mario, Cubes, Bubbles, Discounts and more

It's Nintendo Download update time, North America, and this week brings you a major retail release on 3DS, some retro treats and three new download-only games on 3DS. There are also some tasty discounts, including one of the must-have eShop releases from 2013; you can check out all of the details below.

Missed the European Download Update earlier this week? Worry not, just click here for all of the details.

Wii U Virtual Console

Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (Nintendo, $4.99) — We suspect many of you know a little about this game's history, in that it was the 'real' sequel to Super Mario Bros. on the NES that was released in Japan, before eventually making its way to the West. It's classic 8-Bit Mario that's also very, very challenging; we gave this a strong recommendation in our recent Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels review.

3DS eShop

Cube Tactics (Teyon, $4.99) — This is a tactical war game, with the twist that the battlefield appears to be constructed of destructible cubes that you can place yourself. It includes over 25 single player missions and online play, in which you can take on up to three others. We'll strategise our way to victory and bring you a review soon.

Lola's ABC Party (BeiZ, $3.99) — We have a lot of time for the Lola series here at Nintendo Life, as to date it's successfully made learning a colourful and relatively fun experience for new gamers. This latest entry is focused on those 3-6 years old, teaching word construction, spelling and improving memory; we'll share our thoughts on it soon.

Bubble Pop World (Cypronia, $4.99) — Cypronia reminds us all that we have AR cards with this real-world match 3 puzzle game. Your goal is to clear 3D objects by pointing at the AR card, while mini-games are also promised alongside a level builder and the ability to share your creations as QR codes. It's arrived earlier than expected in North America — today's announcement said April! — so we'll hunt out our AR cards for a review.

3DS Virtual Console

Galaga (Namco Bandai Games, $4.99) — There are a number of classic old-school NES titles doing the rounds, with this perhaps being the grand old patron to which all other shoot 'em ups pay respects. It's single screen action with a focus on racking up high scores, which actually sounds perfect for a quick commute with your 3DS. We had kind words to say about this in our Wii U Virtual Console Galaga review.

3DS Retail Download

Yoshi's New Island (Nintendo, $39.99) — Available from 14th March. Over 18 years after Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, a direct sequel arrives for the iconic Super NES title — though other releases have perhaps qualified as sequels too. Yoshi has come a long way since those days, and makes his début on Nintendo's latest handheld with various abilities and transformations to aid you in your quest to rescue Baby Luigi. You can see what we think of it in our Yoshi's New Island review, and you can also check out our interview with producer Takashi Tezuka.

Madagascar 3 & The Croods Prehistoric Party Combo Pack (D3Publisher, $29.95)

3DS eShop Temporary Discounts

SteamWorld Dig (Image & Form, $4.50 until 16th March, normally $8.99)

Star Wars Pinball (Zen Studios, $3.49 from 17th-31st March, normally $6.99)

Marvel Pinball 3D (Zen Studios, $3.99 from 17th-31st March, normally $7.99)

Zen Pinball 3D (Zen Studios, $3.49 from 17th-31st March, normally $6.99)

3DS eShop Demo

Wakedas (CIRCLE Ent, free)

In addition there is DLC content for Star Wars Pinball and CastleStorm on the Wii U eShop to consider.

So there you go, North America. Let us know if you're planning to pick any of these up in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (305 votes)

Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (Wii U Virtual Console)

17%

Cube Tactics (3DS eShop)

Lola's ABC Party (3DS eShop)

Bubble Pop World (3DS eShop)

Galaga (3DS Virtual Console)

Yoshi's New Island (3DS retail download)

10%

Madagascar 3 & The Croods Prehistoric Party Combo Pack (3DS retail download)

SteamWorld Dig (3DS eShop temporary discount)

16%

Star Wars Pinball (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Marvel Pinball 3D (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Zen Pinball 3D (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Just the free Wakedas demo for me

Nothing for me this week

34%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Blast

Blast said:

I got some Eshop money saved up for when those GBA titles hopefully come next month for my Wii U.

Stu13

Stu13 said:

Had been waiting for another sale on Steamworld, as I heard that it's rather short. Will be downloading it this evening for sure.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

Looking forward to downloading:

Lola's ABC Party - 3DSware
Yoshi's New Island - 3DS

Yayy!! :D

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

Ronoh

Ronoh said:

Skipping this week. Yoshi doesn't look that promising and I'm burned out of platformers anyway.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@Webby-saama

Fair enough.

So the game came out of nowhere and it is available today, NES Remix Style. Getting that, and Steamworld is a steal at that price, from what I have heard.

Webby-sama

Webby-sama said:

Oh right, waiting for some reviews and more deets on Cube Tactics. Nothing else for now.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

The Zen Studios discounts, and maybe Galaga. I haven't played Galaga in years.

Mrclaycoat

Mrclaycoat said:

I think Nintendo hates the Wii U. When you call them to ask for games, they say that they're busy and ask you to please understand.

rjejr

rjejr said:

So, are the eShops still expected to update the normal time w/ that 4 hour maintenance coming this afternoon? Guess we aren't getting an ND, oh well.

Prime

Prime said:

Will be getting Galaga sooner or later to go with my Namco Museum for my Gamecube.

meltendo

meltendo said:

Yawn. I give up. I'll stick to the big releases and wait for some surprise at E3. I still love you Nintendo! Barely.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

@ThomasBW84 I was just about to edit and say nevermind, I forgot until a moment ago Marvel Pinball costs a dollar more than the other two. The 50% discount is right.

Porky

Porky said:

Yoshi's New Island retail for me and that's it. The Super Mario Bros. 3 comments are always entertaining every week. I share your pain people. I want it on 3ds other than my Wii XD.

SavageGM

SavageGM said:

Galaga? Lol. I'm gonna get SMB3 when it is finally released in 2019 and use up all my club nintendo coins as soon as possible and then never check their drip, drip, pause, drip, pause release of content ever again.

HeroOfCybertron

HeroOfCybertron said:

I'll get Star Wars Pinball when it goes on sale later and wait for some Cube Tactics impressions and I'll be picking up my reserved copy of Yoshi's New Island tomorrow morning.

noctowl

noctowl said:

It's funny, most of the people wanting Mario 3 probably already have several copies laying around. It would be nice to play it on the gamepad, but I don't pretend that I can't play it if I absolutely want to.

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

I guess I'll be upgrading to the Wii U version of Lost Levels this week. Meanwhile I'm still waiting for my copy of DKCTF to arrive from Amazon, I can't wait to finally play that!

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

What Lola wants Lola gets huh? LoL ;-)

Ah... Galaga. Such fond memories of the Golden Era of Arcade gaming and possibly of gaming in general. (debate coming in 3... 2... 1... ;-) )

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

I'm amused that you guys have been demanding SMB3 for months now, and how does Nintendo respond? By giving you the Lost Levels. Well played, Nintendo.

SirQuincealot

SirQuincealot said:

i would have got galaga, but i just a couple weeks ago pick up pacman and galaga dimensions , so i'll pass

wakedas is an excellent game though, you should definitely try it

JCnator

JCnator said:

I'm definitely upgrading Lost Levels to Wii U, so I can totally abuse Restore Points on that game and say goodbye to Game Over screens. Especially because controlling both Mario and Luigi felt too floaty for those types of levels.

Waiting for the reviews to hatch for Yoshi's New Island, but I have a bad feeling I'd be likely holding off buying this one for some time.

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

Mario, since I am browsing on my Wii U now and steamworld dig, I missed the last sale.

xj0462

xj0462 said:

still no smb3!? get it toghther nintedo!!!
awell atleast theres galaga and yoshis island 3d

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

Ah, SMB2 TLL, a massive tease... but I do look forward to the Star Wars Pinball DLC. I actually prefer the Wii U port of this title to the PS3 counterpart.

ejamer

ejamer said:

So are the Zen Pinball discounts only for 3DS? Hmm... I would buy Star Wars on Wii U if the sale applies there also, but otherwise maybe I'll just grab the portable version.

That's a great price for StreamWorld Dig. I know the game is coming to lots of other platforms, but it's fantastic on 3DS and well worth buying. Nice week for sales!

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

I'm still waiting for a Yoshi's New Island review. I'm not spending a cent until I see one.

Zach

Zach said:

Dang, I was hoping for two Wii U vc games this week since EU got two.

GloryQuestor

GloryQuestor said:

I'll probably get Steamworld Dig, now that it's at a good price point.

Right now, I agree that Nintendo's a bit ... fractured. They keep pushing SNES and GBA to Wii U, when the 3DS is clearly the system of choice and it could handle both. Same with a lot of VC and titles on 3DS that still haven't jumped onto Wii U. Both of them could benefit, but right now, neither are.

(And yes, I'm frustrated about SMB3 delay as most everyone. Another example of Nintendo fumbling in terms of VC. -_-; )

Ambassador_Kong

Ambassador_Kong said:

@TeeJay

The fact that there are no early reviews on Yoshi's New Island implies that Nintendo has embargoed reviews to release date. Since most Nintendo games get reviewed a week before release...... read into it what you will.

Ambassador_Kong

Ambassador_Kong said:

Another week of the slow drip. Didn't Iwata say he understood our frustration with the VC and was going to fix it? I suppose if SMB3 coming soon can mean anytime in the next 6 months to a year, then I shouldn't expect any improvement in the VC until 2017

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

I'm very interested in Yoshi's New Island, but I'm just concerned that it's not going to get very good reviews...here's hoping because I honestly think it looks fun.

@NintendoMaster And before the end of 2013 yet!

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

Well... I was hoping for Super Mario Bros. 3, but it's nice that I can upgrade one more of my games I imported from my Wii. And I've been looking forward to Galaga on my 3DS for some time now. So I guess I will actually be picking up an eShop card after work today.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

@gsmaciel: To be honest, with Restore Points, The Lost Levels just became a much fairer fight. And I ain't ashamed to use Restore Points either - if they didn't want them to be used, they wouldn't be included.

But still, even with Restore Points...

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

Bubble Pop World peaks my interest in gameplay, so I'll download that when I get the chance.

Shy_Guy

Shy_Guy said:

Still nothing for me... I think Nintendo wants to fail,how they treat the eshop is inexcusable...

cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo said:

Despite its rather generic name I think I got to give Bubble Pop World a buy just because the developer did something different!
It's rare a developer tries to step out of the box, and when they do I love to support the effort.
Heaven knows we could use more of it in gaming!

DoomTurtle

DoomTurtle said:

No Zen Pinball discounts on the Wii U, only on the 3DS? I'll be getting every table as soon as they get discounted on the Wii U.

JustinH

JustinH said:

Geez, where are the Wii U indies? Are they all failing Lot Check?

Upgrading Lost Levels and I'll probably pick up Steamworld Dig on the weekend.

Noonch

Noonch said:

Every week we line up with our money and our hopes. Every week we're disappointed. I do love Galaga ever since I played the cocktail table Galaga/Ms Pacman machine when I was a kid but I don't want it as the star release for virtual console. That said...pinball.

Ralek85

Ralek85 said:

Considering even the standart weekly PSN sales are more exciting than a month worth of average e-shop updates, one has to seriously question if Nintendo indeed realizes that it is not operating in a separate universe onto itself ... more to the point how much longer they can afford to operate as if they were a special entitiy in this market ...

Morpheel

Morpheel said:

I'm not a fan of cypronia since the Cake Ninja Xmas fiasco, but their Bubble game looks very interesting.

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

I've been wanting to clear out my catalog a little before getting Steamworld Dig, but as usual, eShop sales are my downfall.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

@rjejr They moved that maintenance to Monday yesterday without specifying a reason.

@Ambassador_Kong While Iwata took a role in Nintendo of America I'd look at the Japanese virtual console and weep. That actually gets a healthy dose of content weekly. If only there was a way to get Square-Enix to care about outside of Japan (Square, Enix, Taito all held hostage by them...) and NOA to release things...

ikki5

ikki5 said:

hmm. still not happy about the 1VC a week but... Lost levels I'll take

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

I like the 3DS releases this time! I will defiantly pick up Yoshi's New Island and Galaga once I get the money! They're not on my priority list.

However, I wouldn't mind getting SteamWorld Dig for half off! It's a great deal!!

Juampi

Juampi said:

The dates for the sales are wrong (at least for the pinball games).

The sales are already running, and they end on the 20th.

AdanVC

AdanVC said:

Hahahaha they release Lost Levels but no SMB3 even if it was promised to be released by the end of 2013! I'm so done with Wii U VC. 3DS however is just a great week, lot's of cool looking indie games.

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

Hmmm, Pinball but only Starwars, I don't care for superheros and I got the other. Steamworld Dig too or at least, I'm considering them,

Juampi

Juampi said:

I'm in NA. I just downloaded Zen Pinball 3D for $3.49. I also checked the prices for the other pinball games and they were already reduced as well, with the sale set to end on the 20th.

cheapogamer4life

cheapogamer4life said:

Wow. To bad I just dl'd Star Wars pinball week. I even e looked at the history to see if any of the Zen Pinball games were ever on sale before! Well at least theirs a good chance that the Zen Pinball games will have this same sale on the other platforms.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Starwolf_UK @Unca_Lz - Thank you both.

New marketing slogan - "Wii U: Even the maintenance updates get delayed!"

Maybe tomorrow they'll announce an ND for Monday morning. It's St. Patty's Day, and Luig's color is green, they oughta do something

Warruz

Warruz said:

Really want Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island available on viritual console before I snag the new one. I never got to play the older ones.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

FINALLY! :D So glad Lola's ABC Party is in the 3ds e-shop! :D

Untitled

Got to make Cake & Ice Cream! :D

Untitled

Untitled

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

@ThomasBW84 Hey Thomas, would you be able to put up the Canadian prices, at least temporarily? There have been some pretty noticeable changes in the prices for newer games on the Canadian eShop (ex Yoshi's New Island).

The prices don't match those of the American eShop anymore. Might save some future headaches for Canadian readers.

Stu13

Stu13 said:

I couldn't wait. I popped by my house on my daily trip to the post office from work and set Steamworld to download in sleep mode so it would be waiting for me when I get in later. eShop sales will be the death of me.

kendorage

kendorage said:

nothing for me this week, but f1 race stars is on sale for 15, down from 30, so i downloaded that. fun game to tide me over till mk8.

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

If there were ever a game that needed restore points more it's The Lost Levels.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

Have a feeling that a direct will come last week of March or 1st week of April and then things will start rolling. No reason to do anything in a fiscal year they already tanked.

faint

faint said:

@Shy_Guy yup two very substantial dlc's and a vc title. They totally want to fail. Have you looked at the line up for April? Complian now but your wallet it gonna cry.

KillerGBH

KillerGBH said:

star wars balance of force - bubble pop world and super mario the lost levels for me . just tried bubble pop world and its great ^^

Tony_342

Tony_342 said:

I have to admit, the funds in my eShop account and I are starting to get a bit impatient waiting for The Great eShop Avalance of Early 2014 to begin. First it was supposed to start in February, and now March is halfway over. I said before that it looked like March and April were going to be jam packed with eShop releases, but now it looks like it's going to be April and May (probably because there are no major retail releases during that time - until the very end of May, that is).

Perhaps I should call it "The Great eShop Blooming of Early 2014", since it will be Spring when it starts. But that doesn't really have the same ring to it.

WitchSugoi

WitchSugoi said:

Was saving my current funds for Battle Trozei but at that price, I will be uploading some more to buy SteamWorld Dig.

I'll download the Wakedas demo as well since I've been interested in that game but missed the holiday sale. I'll wait for a Bubble Pop review to see if I might spin that game too.

Overall, not a bad week for me.

Nictendo64

Nictendo64 said:

Wow, sometimes I think that Nintendo doesn't even care about the Wii U eShop anymore. Do they actually think they're going to get away with doing the same EXACT thing with the Wii's shop channel all over again? Why repeat themselves? I've been with Nintendo since the beginning but they are seriously disappointing me with their minimal effort towards the eShop.

OGGamer

OGGamer said:

Yuck! This week stinks . At least ballpoint universe comes out next week and this gives me time to finish windwaker hd .

HylianSane

HylianSane said:

Got Lost Levels from the Club rewards a couple months back, so I think I'll be upgrading right about now.

Juampi

Juampi said:

Since Thomas won't update the article, I'll just say it:

THE ZEN STUDIOS SALE IS UP!!!
YOU CAN ALREADY BUY THE PINBALL GAMES AT THEIR REDUCED PRICES.

Also, according to the eShop, the sale ends after the 20th.

Superryanworld

Superryanworld said:

I will be more than happy to grab Yoshi's New island,and I've got two levels left in tropical freeze so Ive got my Nintendo fix for the time being until Mario kart eight.Glad i have mutiple systems.Im done even checking the e-shope anymore.I keep seeing a slow trickle of games I've had on the wii for
years or games I've already bought on 3ds and the majority of non vc/original content that just doesn't interest me as a gamer.It took forever to build up my vc games/digital content on 3ds,and wii u has been out a year and things are looking the same.Ive had my ps4 for a week,and I hope a year from now im not having the same issues with not enough retail games,and content I actually want to spend money on with the psn service.

ejamer

ejamer said:

@CrissCross87
I'm sure that SteamWorld Dig will look gorgeous on Vita/PS4, but having the map always visible on the lower screen is extremely convenient in the 3DS version - especially later in the game when certain power-ups add more information to the map. In my mind, that might be reason enough to favor the 3DS over other platforms.

From what I've read, there are no additional features or modes being added either - although maybe it's better to wait until next week to confirm that? The one consideration for waiting is that it might be free on PS Plus eventually... although for $5 I think it's worth playing now instead of waiting.

mowerdude

mowerdude said:

And yet another sad week for the Wii U eshop. Does Nintendo care about the Wii U anyone?

Also @CrissCross87 I would hold off on purchasing Steam World Dig for the 3DS for a Week because more than likely you might be-able to purchase Steam World Dig as a cross buy on the Vita and Ps4 systems.

3Daniel

3Daniel said:

@ThomasBW84 not sure if anyone mentioned it but nintendolife is featured over the super mario world tile on the US eshop home page calling it "one of the greatest games ever created."

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@Ernest_The_Crab I'll try and sort something out, certainly, so I'll look into it on Friday and we'll see what we can do. If the Nintendo Canada site isn't up to date (it isn't with all of today's releases) we'll be reliant on a Canadian gamer feeding us the prices.

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

Honestly, I get that you guys are frustrated with Nintendo's trickle release of VC games, but that is no reason to whine about it.

Nintendo isn't releasing SMB3 until April so that its released at the start of the new fiscal year. It will be out before NES Remix 2's April 25th release date. Lost Levels is another game in NES Remix 2, and it was released today.

Iwata stated that he plans to enrich the VC selection back in the investors briefing back in January (or maybe it was before that, I can't remember). He never stated when. April is the earliest time that the VC release rate would be increased. No point in doing anything until then as they have already had a bad fiscal year. Better to start fresh on the new fiscal year.
Tone it back, drop the insults please — TBD

ForeverIgnited

ForeverIgnited said:

I saw retro Mario and got really excited... until I saw it was Lost Levels for Wii U. Aw well. I'll just get Galaga.

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

At that price I might just pick up Steamworld Dig! Have been interested in it for awhile.

QuickSilver88

QuickSilver88 said:

@GloryQuestor ......Man I agree in that their handling of VC has been horrible this generation, other than Earthbound and the original 3DS ambassador GBA games. They shouod be getting way more SNES and GBA on 3DS, but another thing I think they should do is have DS top games in eShop (not just for WiiU) but or 3DS. WiiU should have both top Wii titles for digital, and also GC and N64. Sony has extensive ps1/ps2 libraries for ps3 and ps1 and psp for Vita so why can't Nintendo get in the modern times and try to give us more digital legacy content. Nintendo still knows how to make great games but many of their moves are real head scratchers. The Wii was the pinacle of legacy gaming but Nintendo has stunk it up so far with the current platforms.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Maybe SW Pinball, but I'm more tempted to save my e-Shop funds for Shantae:AtPC.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@noctowl

Right. Don't get me wrong, it's bogus for Nintendo to say a game is coming in 2013 then never bring it and not say a word about it. BUT, I feel the issue is being blown way out of proportion. It's a friggin NES game. Nothing more. A game that's been around over 20 years. If people wanted to play it THAT badly, it's for sale on the WiiShop right now. It's not like DKC where you'd actually have to go buy a SNES to play it.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

I DL'ed Lost Levels. Can I say, thank goodness for save states? Maybe I'll get to see World 9 finally... ;)

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

So-so week again. Is Nintendo REALLY going to release all the quality March titles on the 20th. So far for NA we've got Pokemon Battle Trozei, the ambitious Pure Chess, and anticipated Yumi's Odd Odyssey. I'm not necessarily into any of those games myself, but still that's a quality list for just one day.

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

Steamworld Dig sale again was great, got it this time for 3DS in Europe.

Could've gotten the HD treatment from Steam, but decided to go for the original 3DS version.

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

After how much I enjoyed Zen Pinball 2, I have to say it.. Star Wars Pinball (even for a pinball game) is mostly a cluttered mess. The Clone Wars table and Boba Fett's table are perhaps the worst offenders. It's not to say they're not fun, but in comparison to most Zen tables, they're dim and unfocused. So though I jumped on Castlestorm's DLC asap, I had to pass on SWP's DLC.
It's just a shame Nintendo couldn't have pushed Mario 3 sooner than this..
As a side note, maybe @ThomasBW84 can help with this, but I've seen Citizen of Earth listed for today in North America. That's probably not accurate, is it?

Blizzaga

Blizzaga said:

@IceClimbers You seem to forget that Super Mario Bros. 3 was promised before the end of 2013. It's now three months into 2014 and there has been no explanation whatsoever for its delay. Therefore, we have every reason to whine.

ogo79

ogo79 said:

whoa! whoa! whoa!
whats with all the hostility?
wheres my report button...