Xenoblade Chronicles Coming to 3DS in Japan

Posted by Alex Olney

Surprising is not the word

During its most recent Direct livestream, Nintendo announced that the critically acclaimed Xenoblade Chronicles will be heading over to its handheld system.

After a huge number of surprises, Nintendo still had bombshells to drop on us. This surprise came at the end of the presentation after the announcement of Shulk's presence in Smash Bros. and of course the revised versions of the 3DS and 3DS XL, but was no less shocking.

The title was heralded as one of the greatest Wii games to come out at the end of the console's life by critics and fans alike. Unfortunately due to its release date, the game was not widely distributed, and still holds most of its value, so to have the game re-released to a whole new audience is a deeply encouraging thought.

This game will only run on the New 3DS systems, and there's no word on a release outside of Japan yet, but if something should change, we'll let you know as soon as we do.

Are you excited by this recent development? Will you be buying this version if it's released in your territory, or are you content with the original? Let us know in the comments!

KodyDawg

KodyDawg said:

I'll probably pick it up if it comes to NA. I've never playe the original, and I don't want to have to pay $70+ to get the game.

ChessboardMan

ChessboardMan said:

Heh, that's a website, somewhere, that was, somehow, making 3D screencaps of Wii games. One of them was Xenoblade, so I actually have 3D pictures of Xenoblade already, though no idea if the quality of the 3DS version will be the same.

reborn

reborn said:

At first I was upset not being able to play it as I'm not going to buy the new 3DS... soon. But then I've seen the images and there is a HUGE downgrade from the Wii version. I've played through the Wii version so many hours and the 3DS one totally pales in comparison with the original.

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

So...the New 3DS HAS to be more powerful, eh? If it doesn't run on the normal/old model and everything.
Good for the people who'll get the new one, a super dumb decision by Nintendo for everyone else. I don't understand why they'd do this at all :|

WebHead

WebHead said:

I think as someone else said this games will only work on the new models coming out.

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

It sold much better Stateside than it did in Japan, so it will probably be localized. It would be shame on NoA if they made that same mistake twice.

Great news for people who missed it the first time around though!

Legromancer

Legromancer said:

sold,
Sold on new 3DS LL( XL here?)
And sooo sold on Xenoblade remake. Yeah, it's just a remake, but there ain't many seireis i wholeheartly can support. This is my cance.
Sold, sold, sold

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

THAT made my jaw drop on so many levels.
This HAS to come to the EU...it just HAS to...

Nareva

Nareva said:

There's nothing in the article that suggests this will only work on the new models.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

@Nareva I think I heard Iwata saying "CPU" in the Nintendo Direct, while Xenoblade footage was being shown. So I'm assuming it's 'new 3DS' exclusive.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

Whatever, it's going to be terrible to look at. On Wii the popping was pretty bad, I don't wanna imagine the heights it's gonna reach on the portable.

Aaand, I already played for countless hours so I'll just wait for X.

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

Huh. Well what I'll do, then, is sell my copy of Xenoblade on Wii for $100 online, and put that $ toward the new 3DS model and the game when they release next year.

I'm not a fan of the new model of 3DS getting its own exclusives. They're really forcing you to buy a system that you already have just to get one game. Unless their plan is to make multiple exclusives, in which case my question is... Why didn't you make this 3DS model from the start?

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

@Nareva If they come to EU, I'll be getting a new 3DS for MH4, and so I'd want to pick up Xenoblade 3DS as I missed it on Wii. But my guess is that this model isn't coming to the west at all (and therefore no Xenoblade) as it's compatible games are all Japanese exclusives/top sellers only in Japan :(

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

I think I am content with my Wii version but I would buy an HD Wii U version (at a budget price) and am half hoping they include the original in 'X' like they did with Bayonetta. I won't hold my breath though.

If they bring a Xenoblade themed 3DS bundle to the West I will get one....

triforcepower73

triforcepower73 said:

WHHHHY does Nintendo keep doing this to Monolith Soft's incredible masterpiece?! First they release it in limited supply to ONLY gamestop and much to their surprise it sells out like crazy and they don't have enough supply to meet demand. What do they do? Of course they wouldn't send more copies of it over to America. They just sit back and let people sell it for hundreds of dollars on ebay! Now, instead of shipping more Wii copies or making it available for the original 3DS, they shut off 30 million current 3DS users(I think that's the number) by only releasing it on the new one that I'm definitely not buying. Nintendo hardly ever disappoints me or pisses me off but this does both for me.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

Happy there's a chance for Xenoblade to sell more copies but was hoping it was an original game rather than a port.

triforcepower73

triforcepower73 said:

And I feel sorry for the people that will be playing this game for the first time on the new 3DS. The epic, sprawling vastness and sense of incredible awe felt when you first see the Bionis' Leg and pretty much all the areas in this game cannot be felt to such an incredible degree on a 4 inch screen.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

When playing the Wii game, I thought about how cool the landscapes would feel in 3D... this is going to be pretty awesome. That said, I don't think I'll get it unless I can somehow transfer my save game. If this is indeed a "New 3DS" exclusive, I bet it will be download only to prevent retail confusion.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

The fact that it's only playable on the new 3DS models is worrying. I hope this doesn't become a trend.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

I'll be buying a New 3DS XL regardless. Might as well play this since I never did on the Wii.

KikReask

KikReask said:

And here I was ALMOST ready to shell out £60-£70 on Amazon for a copy of the Wii version, welp, best save up for N3DS.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

They're basically just releasing this so to promote Shulk's appearance in Super Smash Bros. 4 so good for them. I probably won't be getting this for the 3DS as I already own it for the Wii myself but to those who never got a chance to play this, good for them the 3DS version will be perfect for them as the Wii version is very expensive to get nowadays.

Caryslan

Caryslan said:

I have this on the Wii, but I really wanted this on the 3DS since my Wii's disc drive died out. But sadly, Nintendo lost a customer with this game because I can't afford to upgrade to a new 3DS model to play a single game.

Good job Nintendo, you lost a sell on my end. Maybe I'll play it used one day when I do get a N3DS or the real succesor to the 3DS.

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

@Aviator Which is why it's not likely to come here. They'd have to find some way of getting it to work on regular 3DSes, because NoA would have to be crazy to think that enough people are going to buy that new, suped-up 3DS with its gimped second Circle Pad.

This creates a clear disconnect between owners of what should be considered the same system, that reminds me of arguments related to GamePad-less Wii Us.

NintendoFan64

NintendoFan64 said:

I never did play Xenoblade Chronicles, so this gives me an excuse to finally check it out...assuming it comes to America, that is.

BertoFlyingFox

BertoFlyingFox said:

Yes, a portable version sounds perfect. As for New3DS exclusive, I dont mind that either so long as the price is right.

I'm willing to bet we'll see GBA games ported to New3DS along with more GC and Wii games. An answer to all their emulation woes.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

On the train?... NOW IT'S REYN TIME!
On the toilet? NOW IT'S REYN TIME!
On holiday? NOW IT'S REYN TIME
Just reached the peak of Everest? NOW IT'S REYN TIME!

All thanks to this new release, it's Reyn Time all the time ; )

chiefeagle02

chiefeagle02 said:

I think I'll pay the $60 to get it on the Wii versus shelling out for a brand new console just to play the game. On the other hand, with it on the 3DS (and likely the eShop), it'd be a breath of relief to see distrubution rights out of GameStop's hands. THAT IS, of course, if the game is released in North America.

blaze8937

blaze8937 said:

Im definitely excited for this game just not to happy that I have to get a new system to play it but for xenoblade I will make an exception

RoomB31

RoomB31 said:

awesome!, and I just sold my wii version, so if I ever get the itch again!!

Ryu_Niiyama

Ryu_Niiyama said:

Very nice, but there is no way I'm playing that long game on a handheld. To those that have not played this however, pick it up as soon as you can! Great game!

earthboundlink

earthboundlink said:

Never had the chance to play this one on Wii, and you can't really find it anymore at a reasonable price, so PLEASE BRING THIS TO NORTH AMERICA!!! The inclusion of Shulk in Smash paves the way perfectly to bring the game here, just like Marth/Roy did for Fire Emblem all those years ago.

I only bought Fire Emblem for GBA because of the Melee characters, and now it's one of my favorite Nintendo series. Even though Xenoblade already came out in the US, it can get wider distribution on the 3DS.

crazycrazydave

crazycrazydave said:

Would make perfect sense to localise this. All the voice work and translation has already been done, so why not? Why not try and get a bigger return?

Who knows, it might just make me upgrade my 3DS to the new model.

MAN1AC

MAN1AC said:

I wanted them to remaster it and release it on the Wii U :(

What is this nonsense?

Ryno

Ryno said:

"Feel the power of the Monado!" Oh my, I may need to get this. Xenoblade on the Wii was just amazing.

YorkshireNed

YorkshireNed said:

Well, I've already completed Xenoblade, so don't need it again BUT it would be nice to see it released properly and widely so more people got to enjoy it.

Volmun

Volmun said:

well i did think it'd be a cool 3DS game back when it was announced lol then thay sent us (UK) The 3D Puzzle Pannle and now this lol

WanderingPB

WanderingPB said:

How many surprises does Nintendo have up their sleeve?! Hmmm i wonder what surprises were tied to the other leaks? Hmmmm i wonder...

WitchSugoi

WitchSugoi said:

So does this mean that the new 3DS is going to be at the Wii's power level? If so, BRING ON THE PRIME TRILOGY PORT!

Oh yeah and I totally need this since the Wii version is too expensive to get now.

Lasermaster123

Lasermaster123 said:

... Now we are going to have another label on the games. This game works on new 3DS/ normal 3DS/ 2DS! Very simple! Plus I just hope not too many games come exclusively for new 3DS otherwise that would be a disappointing move considering it will feel like a new generation instead of a redesigned model. Cool surprise for JRPG fans on Nintendo consoles!

@PrincessSugoi
Not exactly. The game looks very bad compared to the Wii edition but the power will be enough to get downscaled games I guess. We already did get DKCR:3D although it was at 30 fps not 60.

Nintendo after all these surprises just give me and other GS fans, Golden Sun 4 and Isaac for Sm4sh (sorry I just had to say it).

SavoirFaire

SavoirFaire said:

Good thing I haven't picked up a new XL yet. I guess i'll wait to see if this comes to the US.

I don't expect too many "for use on the super new 3DS" games, as that will cause a mess for the retailers in the US (and elsewhere).

ColdingLight

ColdingLight said:

The bigger question is : Do we have to create another Operation just to get this damn game localized in the Americas?

El_Scorpio

El_Scorpio said:

Nintendo of Japan has confirmed that more exclusive games for the "new" 3DS will follow... Extremely stupid move since there are over 45 millions of 3DS owners. Definitely I won't support this madness.

WitchSugoi

WitchSugoi said:

@Lasermaster123

I didn't see the direct but I just saw some footage from the announcement and yeah jagged lines ahoy (I forgot about DKCR3D derp). This upgrade does seem like a good excuse to produce more 3DS Wii ports and at this point, I imagine if they're bothering to make this then the 3DS successor will indeed be a HD console.

Lasermaster123

Lasermaster123 said:

@El_Scorpio

Yea now this move doesn't sound so good after all. This is what the 3DS XL should have been. Launching this after 45 million 3DS sales then putting exclusive games on it (1 or 2 is fine) that to, many, is just not nice!

@PrincessSugoi
That is fine, but I don't want to buy a new console of the same generation just for Wii ports. They should have used the CPU power only for multitasking and kept the games across both the same.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@CaviarMeths Why is it so expensive then in the USA ? Normally if something sells well there is more copies so it ends up cheap used. (In the UK it has just held its value - £40 or £50 with the classic controller pro).

JellySplat

JellySplat said:

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

I already own Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii (luckily, I was able to get it as the praise just started ramping up for only $44 at GameStop) so I won't be getting this.

I said it on the Reaction Video article and I'll say it again. I really hope this doesn't mean 44 million people have to buy another 3DS to play newer games. This isn't a great move in my opinion. It's looking like it's doing a Sega upgrade.

If it were just Circle Pad Pro features being added, that'd be fine. A faster CPU and New Exclusive games is a path I can't follow...

Again, if, down the line, there are a TON of 3DS games that require the faster CPU, then I'll bite the bullet. As of now though, I already have Xenoblade Chronicles and my 3DS works just fine. I know there's system transfer, but there's no WiFi at my GameStop, so I can't trade in my system and break the new one out of the package to keep all of the stuff I had before.

tabris95

tabris95 said:

Lol The New 3DS also doubles as a clock. "Hey New 3DS, what time is it?" "It's Reyn time!"

Sam_Loser2

Sam_Loser2 said:

@ricklongo I'm with you there... though I am very tempted to get the new system...

It does raise some strange concerns for me... instead of new system generations, with obvious improvements in power and new libraries, will we get these sort of 'half-upgrades' that have a few exclusives?

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

@Sam_Loser2 Well, I'm pretty sure I'll get a New 3DS XL, but that's because I've been meaning to upgrade to an XL for a while now. It still worries me as a possible practice for console manufacturers.

I'm also curious to see how badly 3DS sales dip in the coming months, because I reckon a lot of potential consumers will be waiting for the new models.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

KUSENOBUREIDOOOOOOOO!!!!

This certainly is a surprise, since I wouldn't expect a game of this scope to make it onto 3DS. This is definitely going to be a top-runner, especially in japan!

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

It is impressive to have this game be portable. I have already invested over 40 hours into it this month (and fairly sure I have only barely scratched the surface of the story). It looks like it is the same or similar textures on the models, but the models and effects themselves might be simpler.

One-Winged-Pit

One-Winged-Pit said:

As extremely tempting as this looks to me, it just looks like a downgrade from the Wii, so I might just pass. I was hoping the New 3DS would at least look better than the Wii version if it is being a model exclusive. sigh

ColdingLight

ColdingLight said:

Ohhhh that is soo bad! I didn't even read that part! So the port can only be played on the New 3DS? Daaamn! Who the Hell said that was a good idea?! ughhhhh just when I got excited...

Shambo

Shambo said:

Enough great but uncertain news already, I'm getting dizzy and confused.

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

@unrandomsam because it had a very limited release in US. Only 500k copies were printed and all of them controlled by Gamestop. The game sold out within months, so the demand greatly exceeds the supply.

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

Well, well...I likely will never get or play the Wii version simply because I prefer handheld gaming, I can see the graphics have been scaled down, but I want to play Xenoblade so I will be getting this and one of the New 3DSes

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Is this the reason Nintendo has not released more copies of Xenoblade and hasn't put it in the eShop?

AlphaAlex

AlphaAlex said:

@JellySplat "Welp! What am I expected to do with my other 3ds XL model? I can't just sell it, but it can't just go to zero use either.... Decisions, Decisions..."
Hmmm... Use it as a Streetpass slave?

ColdingLight

ColdingLight said:

Why the Hell would they make Xenoblade exclusive to this new piece of crap? Just release it for all 3ds models. What a terrible business idea. This whole idea is going to negatively impact sales on the earlier 3DS consoles. And did anyone ask for this? None of the features seem appealing. No more bluriness when the 3D is turned on? As if anyone plays 3DS games with the 3D turned on anymore. It's a dead gimmick. That new analog stick looks like crap too. And why does it have more shoulder buttons? is this a whole new console or a remake of the 3DS's? I'm so confused... Also, great job with the placement of the stylist, I can see it now, in the heat of gameplay, me scratching the New 3DS's just to get the damn stick out. Also, nice name guys, I mean, NEW 3DS and New 3DS XL? Brilliant job Nintendo...Brilliant.

mamp

mamp said:

So gonna get this game just like I did the Wii version but I never even opened. Videogame shopping addiction has ruined my life.

Epicnessofme99

Epicnessofme99 said:

Not going to lie I thought this was actually great idea at first till I saw it in action and saw how awful it looked, and it also seems to run at a terrible frame-rate.

Henmii

Henmii said:

"This game will only run on the New 3DS systems"

That's such a dumb decision.

andreoni79

andreoni79 said:

So if I get tired of playing downgraded versions of PS4 and XBONE games on my WiiU, then I can play downgraded versions of Wii games on my 3DS! Urrah!

Anomen

Anomen said:

@Legromancer
I doesn't seem to be a reamke, just a port with lower graphics. That doesn't mean it'll be a bad game, just the same thing on another device ;)

lamco

lamco said:

Thank god! I never got to play the original and those go for around £40 (lowest) so i am super hyped for this!

kurtasbestos

kurtasbestos said:

Noooooooo I want to play this game again on 3DS exactly as much as I don't want to have to buy a new 3DS. Or maybe more. Or less. I'm not sure. At any rate, I want this game but I won't get to play it because I finally bought my 3DS about a month ago and I want my money's worth, damnit.

uximal

uximal said:

Xenoblade is by far one of my favourite Wii titles, Now I have to buy the new 3DS. Although I was wondering can we confirm whether xenoblade required the new CPU power... considering titles like RE: Revelation, MH3U and soon MH4U are gorgeous games on current 3DS family ..the amount of detail is just amazing so can we really say that it was not possible to port Xenoblade on the current system?

Leafgreenmary

Leafgreenmary said:

I really want a US release. The Wii game is over $80 where I live, sometimes even more expensive on amazon! I have a Wii, but honestly, the 3ds is such a great system, and we need more games.

JaredJ

JaredJ said:

Disappointed actually, I was really hoping for an HD remaster of Xenoblade Chronicles for Wii U.

XFsWorld

XFsWorld said:

@uximal Notice how all those games you listed are Capcom games? ;) Capcom does a great job with 3DS games, including Super Street Fighter IV.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Why would it require the new 3DS? The Wii version only makes use of one control stick and uses no motion controls, while there are just as many buttons on the current 3DS as on the Wiimote/Nunchuck. I guess this means the new 3DS does indeed have more RAM under the hood, which is necessary to run this game.