Nintendo Is Working On The Next Mario Game, But Can't Reveal If It's Coming To 3DS Or Wii U

Posted by Damien McFerran

"There’s still a lot more room for discovery and invention"

Nintendo producer Yoshiaki Koizumi has revealed that work has already begun on the next Super Mario game, but he is unable to give any information about which console it is coming to.

Speaking to EDGE in a feature about the making of Super Mario 3D World, Koizumi refused to be drawn on which system would receive Mario's next adventure:

That’s still a secret! I can tell you, though, that we've already started approaching our next challenge. There’s still a lot more room for discovery and invention, and we’ll continue to propose new and exciting game mechanics going into the future.

However, 3D World co-director and EAD Tokyo team leader Kenta Motokura did reveal that if the game was to arrive on the Wii U, he and his staff would need to utilise the Wii U GamePad even more effectively than before.

The release of this new title is obviously still some way off in the future, but what are your hopes? Would you like to see the 3DS get some more love, or do you think Nintendo should aim to give the Wii U another solid-gold classic to bolster its commercial fortunes? Share your predictions and ideas by leaving a comment below.

[via edge-online.com]

torotoid64

torotoid64 said:

If its a 3D world/land sequel I will never buy a new Mario game for the rest of my life

Matts14

Matts14 said:

Wii U needs it more but it will make more money on 3DS so it'll be for the 3DS

Swiket

Swiket said:

Wow Nintendo is working on a new Mario game, thanks to the modern-day Sherlocks who helped us solve this

I'm not trying to seem jaded because Nintendo is working on another Mario game or anything, but the news title might as well be "Nintendo is working on a new game"

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

I'm pretty sure Nintendo is ALWAYS working on the next Mario game, just like their R&D department is always working on the next console/handheld. That's how a business works.

Rafie

Rafie said:

Hopefully this game won't be coming until 2016 or so. To make a game that exceeds SMB3DW will definitely take more time and creativity than ever.

I am a bit discouraged about a new Mario title versus a Wii U title for Kid Icarus or a new Kirby game for the Wii U. shruggs shoulders I'll still get this game. :)

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

Encouraged about his Wii U Gamepad comments. More games need to utilize this in cool, new ways!

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

When's a new Metroid game coming??? Mario should take a vacation. (that doesn't mean make Sunshine 2)

LtAldoRaine

LtAldoRaine said:

Just hope it's for the Wii U. I mean, I'll buy it anyway, but the Wii U needs it more. Being a console game also means they can't be too restricted on development. They can go bigger and more awesome.

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

I will be very disappointed if it turns out to be another 3DS game. 3D World was great, but it wasn't that innovative, and didn't show off all that the Wii U can do.

This better be a new 3D Mario game like SM64, Sunshine, or the Galaxy games.

MoonKnight7

MoonKnight7 said:

This is perfectly fine. Is it milking the cow? Sure, but, Mario 3D World was overflowing with praise, they'd be crazy not to start another Mario game.

Nik-Davies

Nik-Davies said:

What's that screenshot from?
It's probably Galaxy but I wouldn't know as I haven't played them

Emblem

Emblem said:

Every series gets one offering per console afaik so i doubt its a sequel of "New" or "3D" on 3DS or Wii U. Paper Mario U perhaps?

Octane

Octane said:

There was no need to mention the GamePad if the game wasn't planned for the Wii U. Koizumi did consider making an open 3D Mario game for the Wii U (like 64/Sunshine), and it's better to aim for a early release in the Wii U's lifespan, than for a late release with those kind of games. We'll see how this will turn out.

Octane

Octane said:

@PinkSpider
I'd rather see something original. Galaxy 2 was after all a product of leftover ideas, and after seeing what they did to the New Super Mario series, I'd rather see them working on something new..

Action51

Action51 said:

Oh come on...we just got an amazing Mario game!

I'm all for remaining positive, but I would much rather hear news of rumors circulating the next Zelda or Metroid release.

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

Make a real 3D platformer like 64/Sunshine or sod off.
But more importantly, give someone else a crack at the limelight like Samus or Starfox nintendo, geez. You'd better show us something different at e3, this Mario overkill is just ridiculous now. A new Mario game used to be a major gaming event, now its just like "meh, another one eh?"

Action51

Action51 said:

@Ichiban - I agree. Mario fans and Nintendo consumers aren't like the CoD and Madden/FIFA crowd. We want occasional releases that are amazing and play many other genres in the meantime, we don't just buy 1 or 2 annual franchises and never even play the 6 hour single player campaign.

However, there is one ray of hope here...this could be a Mario themed RPG like Seven Stars?

LtAldoRaine

LtAldoRaine said:

I also would like it better if it was a whole new sub-series, but I can't deny that the thought of Super Mario Galaxy 3 for Wii U makes me feel all funny inside. And Nintendo EAD Tokyo puts more work on new titles than whoever makes the NSMB games, so there is that.

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

I'm 99% sure its just going to be Mario 3D Land 2 on 3DS, but what i really hope for is a successor to the true 3D Mario line (64/Sunshine/Galaxy) for Wii U.

Nik-Davies

Nik-Davies said:

@MoonKnight7 Really? I don't recognise the enemies or the area...The quality of the image certainly does look 3D World, but I thought it would've been from NintendoLife's Galaxy HD video.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

It's a shame if EAD are making another Mario. They're one of the best dev teams of all time and could probably shame most of the "AAA" game devs of today. I want to see something ambitious like Ocarina of Time was but in line with the new hardware.

Not buying unless it's "Mario's bad mushroom day" where eating a bad Mushroom convinces Mario to return to Brooklyn and re-educate New Yorkers in an ultra violent, psychedelic shoot em up with realistic graphics.

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

@Action51 the difference between Mario and CoD is that two Mario games are rarely ever the same. It has an incredible history of creativity and diversity, unlike CoD. The NSMB series is the one that i'd compare to CoD, but the mainline Super Mario games i could never get enough of.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

it will most likely be for the 3DS. the Wii U had gotten a lot of mario lately

marko

marko said:

I would rather a new STAR FOX game or Metroid or Get ZELDA out on WII U Already!!!
Damn it Nintendo you're killing Mario!
He is no longer the Cash Cow he used to be Mario overkill indeed

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

If they make a proper 3D Mario game for the 3DS that is a decent length and better level design than 3D Land, I will be happy.

ArrenX

ArrenX said:

Another Mario game? Yes there's still a lot of room for new franchises!

Octane

Octane said:

Assuming they are developing a Mario game for the Wii U, we probably won't see a release anytime soon, late 2015 would be my guess. Retro already confirmed to be working on something (Metroid?), and hopefully E3 this year will bring us some good news (Zelda confirmed for E3). There's more than enough time for our Zeldas en Metroids in between. It's just a confirmation that there's a Mario game in development, as there probably always is..

Smooching

Smooching said:

My thought: the game will be released on both at the same time, like Super Smash Bros (give or take a season) :O

Based on pure speculation of course.

ToniK

ToniK said:

A little pause wouldn't bring the world to an end. Maybe even try something else. Something really far out! Maybe even a game without Mario! I'm crazy I know but that could really work...

No, I can't reach the necessary level of sarcasm right now.

FilmerNgameR

FilmerNgameR said:

Alright Nintendo just blow us away with a real 3D Mario for Wii U and please make Mario punch goombas again that was awesome to do in Mario 64.

Tobias95

Tobias95 said:

Why almoste allways Mario/pokemon or to a degree Zelda/Kirby?

They have other franchises, what about Balloontrip 3D, Ice climbers remastered, new fzero, starfox returns or somthing in the line of other series?

SilverArrow

SilverArrow said:

I can not believe you people! You act as if it's coming around the corner bend! Seriously, they're always working on games. Then the second they let slip that one of the games in development is a Mario game, you automatically jump to comments about milking! It's not coming soon so shut up already!

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

I hope that they actually do something new with it. Failing that, make it very similar to Super Mario 64, because we only saw that format in one game of the franchise - more would be nice.

Goginho

Goginho said:

Woot woooot ! Oh man, I'm just so excited for this. I mean, obviously we're gonna get more Mario games. But it's talk about future Mario games that gets me excited :D and I can't really decide for Wii U or 3DS. My preference is home console, but I really hope we get a true 3D Mario game for the 3DS, a successor to either SM64, with Peach's Castle grounds, maybe even paintings again and what not, or SM Sunshine (mmm.. water spraying in 3D).

Ideally though, I would love both systems getting a game, so that way in their lifespans, they'd have two 3D Mario games each, which again, is an ideal case scenario imo.. Hopefully it'd be like Smash Bros., with a 3DS game coming out a few months before a Wii U game, maybe even up to a year earlier, whatever, as longs as both systems get another 3D Mario treatment, I'd be ecstatic :DDDD

They could also feature some cross-play, in a way. Or even co-op multiplayer, up to four or more players. One on GamePad, one on TV, and however many with 3DS'. But that's pushing it. So hopefully it'd at least end up Wii U co-op two player, Mario and Luigi respectively, one on GamePad and other on TV, that way they don't both need to be on the same screen / in the same location. The 3DS game, however, could also get such a multiplayer co-op treatment. Man, so much potential. I really hope they do go that far as to add some in-depth multiplayer, unlike 3D World, which was very basic and limited.

Spuratis

Spuratis said:

Wasn't there already another tweet where they mentioned using the Gamepad a lot more? I could have swore I read that.. I'd be shocked if the next Mario game wasn't coming to Wii U.

Sir_JBizzle

Sir_JBizzle said:

I wonder if they truly don't know which platform they are going to release it on. I wonder if they just have a concept and as they flesh out ideas, they'll figure out what system to release it on.

Though it wouldn't surprise me if this is a 3DS release since we're hot of the heels of 3D World

SilverArrow

SilverArrow said:

Wow, so basically Super Mario 3D World isn't a "true 3D Mario" because it doesn't have a hub world? Back in my day, Super Mario Bros. 2 wasn't a "true 2D Mario" because you couldn't stomp enemies. Never stopped it from being canon.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Super Mario Universe (aka SMG3). Hopefully on Wii U, though knowing Nitnedo it will be on 3DS.

OTOH, Wii U still hasn't had a sequel to Sluggers or Strikers or Sports Mix or Paper Mario. Wii had about 30 games w/ Mario in the title, Wii U is lacking quite a bit behind though, though Kart is coming.

Considering how slow they are at making HD games, if they are smart they are working on a Super Mario Universe game for the next home/handheld combo system, fusion, unity, whatever.

Shambo

Shambo said:

Galaxy 3 or Sunshine 2 please, it's too late for not getting my hopes up, they've been up eversince I finished the previous games of those titles.

And too all those that don't believe it will happen: look at what Nintendo did when 3DS was down. A massive line-up of spectacular first-party releases, and now they're back on top on the handheld market. If the same happens to Wii U, Nintendo will remain the number one must-have number two home console developer to any gamer, number one overall to their fans (like me).

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

Well, I would definitely be happy for either... but if I had to pick, I would want a single player Mario game on Wii U. I loved 3D World, it was amazing, but it needs to be it's own thing. I want a new Super Mario Galaxy or Super Mario 64 style Mario game — more about open worlds and less about racing the clock. Just my two cents!

Edit: I know Galaxy had the 2nd player that could collect starbits and such, and I would be okay with this... just not another multiplayer Mario game so soon. IMO

Yorumi said:

I'll join those who say I'm sick of mario. There's already multiple mario games on wiiU and 3ds. Heck if you count luigiU as it's own game you have 3 mario games on the wiiU already. That's more than 1 per year.

Maybe if they actually tried promoting their other IPs a bit they'd get people to buy them. Heck until recently I never even knew there were f-zero games one the n64 and gamecube, and I had subscriptions to gaming magazines at the time those systems were out. Promote some starfox, metroid, f-zero, etc. and get some diversity on the systems.

armondo36

armondo36 said:

As much as I love Mario games, this is Nintendo's problem in a nutshell. What ELSE are they working on? What are they bringing to E3? All we ever hear about is Mario or Zelda or Pokémon. The fans are practically begging for a new Starfox or f-zero or metroid or any of a dozen other franchises, but all Nintendo wants to do is Mario. I'm concerned that they were so noncommittal about which platform, as well. Its felt lately as if Nintendo plans to let the Wii U die quietly after Zelda comes out...

StephenYap3

StephenYap3 said:

@Emblem If it a Paper Mario U, as much as I loved all four Paper Mario titles in the series, I'm hoping U will return to its roots with the first two titles.

Anyways, I'm seriously hoping this new Mario title will not carry over from 3D Land or 3D World, although I liked those two. Instead, have it focus on the open-ended exploration of Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine, as well as bring back the punching and kicking for the red plumber. Bring back the 8-hit variably-damaged health meter because I personally disliked the 3-hit health meter the Galaxy games had.

GooRoo

GooRoo said:

@SanderEvers I like that idea quite a bit. I also like the idea of Mario and Link switching places and making each fight through the other's world.

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Since they're making it anyway, I would be really happy to see it on Wii U with a control scheme that actually makes use of the GamePad, and rocking a brand new look. I think everyone is positively sick of the static aesthetic Mario has had for much too long, now.

LtAldoRaine

LtAldoRaine said:

I'm not sick of Mario (except for NSMB) but yeah, I agree with the people clamoring for Star Fox,F-Zero, Metroid, or anything really. Why not make a new Ice Climbers game or something? I kind of understand that they would want to stick to their lead franchises, what with the Wii U not selling well and all, but variety is key, and Nintendo definitely has plenty of franchises to use. Or maybe make a new ambitious,not mini-game franchise. I'm not really upset about it like other people, but it would be nice.

iEndzone

iEndzone said:

Really hope it's a true 3D Mario. By that, I mean a game where Mario has health, there's an expansive hub world, and there are multiple missions in each location/level, akin to 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy.

GalacticMario28

GalacticMario28 said:

"Working on" the game doesn't mean it's going to come out tomorrow, or even necessarily this year. They're probably always working on a new Mario game; the only difference here is that we got word of it early.
That said, I don't expect this to be a sequel. The 3D Mario games have always come in pairs: 64/Sunshine, Galaxy/2, 3D Land/World. It's possible that the next game could break that trend, but I think it's going to be something new, and that makes me excited. I will patiently wait to see what amazing things these guys come up with next.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

Isn't Nintendo always working on the next Mario Game......especially with there being effectively 2 consoles (Wii U / 3DS) to make them for. Fun to speculate what kind of game and for what system but other then that......I'll go 3DS and it's going to be Peach's Quest - an RPG style 3D game to save the Mushroom Kingdom & Mario from a new evil......

Yorumi said:

@GalacticMario28 even if it comes out next year it's still a lot of overload. We could say we can always assume they're "working" on a mario game but they have dozens of IPs, how many of them are being "worked" on.

I know it's popular but they really shouldn't always be "working" on a mario game cause they don't need to release one every 8 months.

SilverArrow

SilverArrow said:

@GalacticMario28
Thank you. At least a few people understand.

@Yorumi
He and I are saying that they are "working" on a new Mario game and we caught word early. That really doesn't mean they're not working on anything else.

Ryno

Ryno said:

Is it safe to assume Nintendo is always working on a Mario game?

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

So people are complaining about something that shouldn't be out of the ordinary anyways? I have to agree with @Swiket on this one. It would be more surprising if they weren't tossing around ideas for Mario games.

Almost as ridiculous as not brainstorming on what their next hardware device will be.

readyletsgo

readyletsgo said:

Christ, give Mario a break! There have been so many main line Mario games in the past 4/5 years and the spin-offs too, I dont care what people say, Mario is the CoD for Nintendo, sure each one is different but its still Mario to the average customer!

Most likely they are working on a new Mario for the Wii U AND the 3DS. Its what Mario Ltd, I mean, Nintendo Ltd. do.

Work on something else please.

shane1228

shane1228 said:

Oh come on, we all know it's not coming to the 3DS although that would be pretty awesome if it did. Nintendo will want to use the most powerful processing power available to them plus they have been really banking on the WiiU lately.

Yorumi said:

@DimetriWarrior I think you're not seeing my point exactly. Yes we know for certain they are working on other things. We know about X, we know about smash bros. zelda U.

The point is with dozens of other IPs, give mario a rest. There doesn't need to be a new mario game every 8 months. The joke about it become Call of mario yearly release isn't a joke anymore. It's one thing to take 3 years to make a mario game and so one is always being worked on. It's another thing when there have been 3 reelased within a year of each other and still be working on another.

We havn't seen a f-zero game in over 10 years and yet in a two year time period we got 5 mario games. It's so much overkill.

WebHead

WebHead said:

I see 2015 since that's the 30th anniversary of the franchise. (At least for SMB).

Doma

Doma said:

I'm proud of the fact i haven't bought a Mario related game since 2011 (Smash Bros. will end this period, but that has everything to do with it containing other IP). I'm doing my part, but it seems the majority of Nintendo's fanbase enjoy playing the same crap over and over...

Blast

Blast said:

I'm not surprised and this is great news. I bet the game will be nice.

Yoshis_VGM

Yoshis_VGM said:

Wow, such negativity in the comments! Seriously people, it takes about 2-3 years to develop these games and they JUST STARTED on the new one. It won't be here until late 2015/early 2016, I'd suppose. And honestly, this is hardly milking the franchise. This game will be the 16th Super Mario game in roughly 30 years, yet there has been 18 Call of Duty games in 10 years. That is hardly milking it.

On top of this, you guys made these exact same comments when 3D World was announced, and look how good that turned out to be. I'm never doubting the Tokyo EAD team again. They say they're making a new 3D Mario, it's guaranteed it will be nothing short of amazing.

Common sense, people.

Tlink7

Tlink7 said:

It should be for the Wii U, it really needs more new games and the machine's superiority should allow for more innovation. It will probably be for the 3DS though, because it'll produce more revenue and it hasn't had a Mario game in a while (not counting spin-offs). Please be for the Wii U though!

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

@Doma I'd hardly call 3D World "crap", the NSMB series may be bland but that title was quite the quality game.

kuribo4

kuribo4 said:

@Superiorspider
Sorry but I'm sick of reading this today. This reveal should be celebrated.
When has EAD Tokyo milked or shown a lack of creativity? I could definitely live without the unnecessary NSMB sequels. But this is just insulting.

kuribo4

kuribo4 said:

@ShadJV People don't even know what they talk about. They just go with the flow. "Mario is milked." They don't even know thee are sub series in Mario developed BY COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TEAMS.

kuribo4

kuribo4 said:

@Yoshis_VGM In fact it is the 11th or 12th made by the Mario team. I don't think the fact the the Nintendo COMPANY makes many Mario games, should have any effect on how you judge the MARIO DEVELOPMENT TEAM.
I swear it's so sad this isn't celebrated news. The internet is o horrible.

Yorumi said:

@Yoshis_VGM the interesting thing is looking recently the rate of release of mario games is actually higher than CoD. By november the rate of release will only be a tiny bit lower than CoD. Even going as far as 2016 we're still not a whole lot behind the CoD rate.

That's kind of sad for a company with so many IPs needs to restrict their releases to roughly the rate of CoD.

drumsandperc92

drumsandperc92 said:

we still haven't seen a 'proper' 3d platforming Super Mario game on Wii U (i.e. SM64, Sunshine, Galaxy 1&2), so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
3D world looks great (haven't played it) but I feel like it might've been pushed out there just to get a Mario game on Wii U quickly. We need an entry in the main line of Super Mario games though!

LetsGoRetro

LetsGoRetro said:

3d World was very good, but it was missing that "Mario mystique". How much of that is dependent on the fact that I'm an adult now, I'm not sure, but every mainline Mario game has always had this exciting "newness" to it. Mario 64 is obviously the best example. It felt monumental, like you were stepping into a new world. Even smb3 had it by maximizing the good parts of smb. Heck, even smw had it, and it was just basically graphical refinement and yoshi.

I'm not sure what the others did that 3d world didnt (is it just cuz I'm 30?), but 3d World was moreso a feeling of "Oh, these are cool twists and takes on what I like". I think it's more than being older. I remember taking an hour long bus ride with my friends to play mario64 with my friends and just being in awe that this was sonething that existed. It was so new and exciting. I cant imagine kida doing that with 3d World.

The only series that still get me that excited are Zelda, Final Fantasy (both of which has subpar entries the last 3 times, but I hold into hope), and Suikoden, if it ever comes back (please!)

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

Needs to be for Wii U. SM3DW was great but didn't capture the audience like it was expected to. Even I felt like its inclusion of 4 players held it back in terms of what they could do. It is a nice spinoff franchise that I could see be on the scale of NSMB. But it's time for the single player Mario adventure to come back.

ICHIkatakuri

ICHIkatakuri said:

@drumsandperc92
You should give it a go, I wasn't sold on it and elements of 3D world are not what I had hoped for in a console mario game. But, there's a lot of it, it's great fun in Multiplayer, the inventive nature of each level is staggering.

Daemonite

Daemonite said:

We all know what game they're working on, right? ...Mario Paint 3D, of course! lol :)

Oh god, Nintendo, don't tell me i gave you an idea for another Mario rehash...

kuribo4

kuribo4 said:

@LetsGoRetro I think I know what you mean...and I'm 17. I think 3D World just wasn't that type of game. It had small levels floating in mid air, very abstract stuff. For that mystique you are talking about, we'd need a slightly more normal world. Suddenly it's more Zelda-esque. I like both types of game though. :)

SneakyStyle

SneakyStyle said:

WiiU needs it but we all know that won't happen, they will most likely show more support for the 3DS yet again... >< Looks at dust on WiiU

Splatom

Splatom said:

Heard it here, my predictions ;): Super Mario (untitled at the moment, maybe universe) cross-platform in some way.

Or... Super Mario 3D Bros for 3DS. You'll never know... Until 2015/2016.

Those are my predictions.

Or it might be for a new system altogether. :D

With Nintendo you never know...

drumsandperc92

drumsandperc92 said:

@kuribo4 I'm not saying 3D world wasn't a proper platformer. I'm saying it wasn't a proper 3D Super Mario adventure game, following in the traditions of the games I mentioned.
Those games being primarily single player, somewhat longer levels with multiple stars, tied together in an open 'hub' world with more of a story.
SM64 & Sunshine did that best as far as i'm concerned, but galaxy's levels were so fantastic it didn't matter that the hub world was so limited compared to Sunshine before it.
Galaxy 2, I was honestly disappointed they basically ditched HUB worlds. Mario's head ship doesn't count in my opinion.
Super Mario 3D Land/World feels like a natural evolution from the New Super Mario Bros games. Very retro, bringing back a lot of elements of NES/SNES classic mario games and bringing it into today's world.
But since SM64, the console mario games have had a separate line of evolution of an adventure/platformer type game, primarily single player.
I want an entry in that line of mario, which is my personal favorite and more along what everyone expected when Nintendo announced 3D World instead...

IRNBRU115

IRNBRU115 said:

If it's a new 3D land/world I will just be like meh. If it's a new galaxy I could jump to the moon and back!

kereke12

kereke12 said:

Uhh umm wow another Mario. That's wonderful news but what people really want is Metriod, Zelda, F-Zero, Starfox....

Frapp

Frapp said:

For me, the next mainline Mario game should be for the launch of the next systems.

smikey

smikey said:

I'd take few more mario games on wii u wouldn't mind any of the following -golf (yes i know its coming to 3ds but i'd still prefer it on wii u) or mario strikers, or mario baseball, or a proper paper mario ( like 1,000 year door not wii or 3ds one) or tennis (yes i know it's pn 3ds I own it still prefer home console)

if it were a proper mario game sequel i'd perfer sunshine 2 but I can't see that ever happening more likely a galaxy 3 but I don't think they'll actually do that either.

as for a metroid / star fox or f zero game everyone keeps demanding I expect at least one of them to be at e3 (metroid is my bet)
of course there are millions of comments demanding these games online then when they get made they sell badly and don't get remade for years & everyone moans about it again.
mario sells so mario gets made if metroid sells millions then metroid gets made more often.

zool

zool said:

It would be news if Nintendo were NOT working on a new Mario game. I would guess that they are working a few Mario games.

But as long as they leave the Mario bros type of games alone. No more flag poles and timers and short levels with tricky jumps.

A game similar to Super Mario 64; but a proper 3ds game that looks like the 3ds Zelda Ocarina graphics.

Or an all new Super Mario 64 in HD.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@zool Dunno what games you are playing there are no tricky bits really in anything modern. The DS NSMB is the last even half reasonable one. If they just increased the pace like that part collecting powerups in the new 3DS Smash Brothers and made it require perfection again then that would be great. No fun in anything at snails pace. (Kirby's Adventure Wii being a possible exception just because of how much it mixes stuff up so it never gets boring). The second half should be like the Lost Levels of any Mario Game.

Yorumi said:

@smikey I think a big part of the problem with games that arn't mario is nintendo doesn't promote them at all. I mentioned before it wasn't until recently I even knew there was f-zero games on the n64 and gamecube. I didn't follow every last bit of news at the time but I also wasn't exactly out of touch.

Mario is relentlessly promoted, and their other games receive no promotion at all. Then they come back and say "well mario sells better than those games." Gee I wonder why.

The other problem is this argument of sales to some extent only applies to the home console. The home console has better graphics and so costs more to make a game, thus it needs more sales. So if we assume these are the best those game's sales will ever be. Ok fine maybe that doesn't make enough to justify a home console game. Um it's a lot cheaper to make a portable game. A 2d metroid game wouldn't be as expensive as a 3d one.

By virtue of the lower graphics a starfox or f-zero would be far cheaper to make. Advance wars still uses sprite graphics and no one cares, that's really cheap to make.

They could build up a fanbase for the games by releasing cheaper versions on the 3ds, promoting them really well, and they that would start justifying home console releases and more investment into them. And stop dumping them when one single game doesn't become a phenomenon. The first etrian odyssey didn't set the world on fire and neither did the second, but atlus kept at it and EO4 and millennium girl were highly anticipated releases.

vamkar

vamkar said:

this is a 3D Mario game! which are considered as of the best games in history, just see the top 3 games of all time in gamerankings! is not a new super mario bros game... so Im very excited for this news.

FX29

FX29 said:

@WebHead
Well that makes sense. There isn't a better way to celebrate Mario's 30th anniversary than making a new game.

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

I am less than thrilled with another Mario Game, but it is at least a game.

I think again they should be pushing a mid-tier level of games using Kid Icarus, Advance/Battalion Wars, Star Tropics, Golden Sun and Punch-Out. Something that can be done quickly with 2D Sprite or Unity 3D level graphics and provide that old-school NES feel.

Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike said:

@Octane This. In fact, didn't he already consider making a Mario Galaxy 3? That could be it. I just wish they'd have come to that conclusion when they were making 3D World, doesn't really do much to promote the Wii U, it's just another Mario game full of the same elements we've seen a zillion times before.

The only thing I really hope for in a new Mario game is that it's for Wii U, it uses the Gamepad in an interesting way, and it's original like Sunshine and Galaxy were (none of this New Super Mario 3D Land World crap we've been getting for the last 7 years).

AkinaChan

AkinaChan said:

I really hope this is a true 3D Platformer for the Wii U. Hopefully, E3 will shed some light on this. They made plenty of room to talk about new titles with the Smash Bros Direct :3

EtoidPvp

EtoidPvp said:

Wii U needs it more. I had some problems playing 3d land but wii u's sales aren't at the right point yet.

smikey

smikey said:

@Yorumi I agree they could put these "wanted" games on 3ds at a much lower cost & with a massively bigger install base probably make far more money.
& it's certainly true as much as I defend most Nintendo decisions they don't advertise non mario games anywhere near as much (with a few exceptions like pokemon & zelda ect)

It's still more than likely however if say at e3 they announced metroid for wii u firstly half this website would complain about it not having a release date then half the ones who keep saying they want it won't buy it.
but if they announced metroid for 3ds (making far more money in sales and savings) firstly half this website would complain about not having a release date then they'd all complain it wasn't on wii u & that Nintendo don't care about wii u blah blah.

of course Nintendo could fix this by announcing metroid for both wii u & 3ds but then look at all the complaints about smash bros.

Really can't win.

I do hope they release all the games everyone wants to see but we'll see.
personally I'd love to see advanced wars on wii u or 3ds.

In any event a new mario game will nearly always be in some kind of development and it's probably mario party on wii u just to get people shouting even more

Cia

Cia said:

"Mario 3d World is not a real 3d Mario game"

-Everyone who haven't actually played the game.

Yorumi said:

@kuribo4 you know you can edit posts and put multiple @'s in the same one right?

@smikey no worse than what this information is showing. Sure you can't please everyone but 5 mario games in 2 years(nov '11 - nov '13, 3dland, nsmb2, nsmbu, nslu, 3dworld), it's just getting excessive and they're hardly trying to promote their other series.

I know we don't know this is a wiiU game but if my choice is between more support for the wiiU in the form of endless mario games, or metroid, starfox, advanced wars, and f-zero on 3ds I'll take the latter. I really hope they are planning some absolutely explosive announcements at e3.

Oh and just to be clear I don't mind the use of mario in other games like mario kart, golf, strikers, smash bros. etc. You could argue mario himself is over used, but I'd be just as upset if we had gone 10 years without a mario platformer but had like 8 f-zero games in the same time.

Mr_Video

Mr_Video said:

The release target better be a few years from now, Mario really needs to be shelved for a while. I loved 3D World, but they're really milking the series now. It'd be nice to see some of the more neglected IPs see some new titles, like Metroid or F-Zero. (Both of which I sadly never had the opportunity to try.) Or even better yet, something completely new.

GreatPlayer

GreatPlayer said:

@Yorumi It just occurs to me that Nintendo has nothing other than the Mario franchise. And Nintendo expects every Wii U console gamer to be pleased with the Mario games that Nintendo fans were forced upon, which to a certain extent is true (when you read what you say).

Yorumi said:

@GreatPlayer they really do seem to have nothing but mario lately. We havn't even seen a screenshot of zelda U oh but good news there's potentially a 4th mario game in works. What's worse is the mario games arn't even really creative, nothing like galaxy was.

It's just starting to really annoy me that there are so many great directions they could take starfox in, or advance wars, or f-zero, or metroid, or even animal crossing. AC is the only one on that list they're even regularly releasing and they're not bothering to make any real advances in the series. Oh but it's ok we're getting mario games at a rate of one ever 8 moths right now.

Gamecubii-64DD

Gamecubii-64DD said:

It's absolutely Mario Sunshine 2. Luigi's Mansion 2 was on the 3DS so sunshine 2 is gonna be on the Wii U. They're both GC titles.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Obviously it's coming to Wii U. There isn't enough life left in 3DS for another Mario game just starting development. The handheld is already over 3 years old, which means if this game were coming to the 3DS, then it would release during it's very last year before the new handheld. Wii U has much more life left in it- we won't be seeing the next home console until holiday season 2017 or 2018. Even with a 3 year dev cycle, this game would still release with a year or two left before 9th gen.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Yorumi

It's just one game man. One game that won't release for another 3 years. Do you realize how many games will have come out between now and then? Annual Call of Duty, annual Assassin's Creed, annual Madden, annual Fifa, annual everything nowadays. So we get a second 3D Mario game on Wii U this gen. Is this really the battle you want to pick a fight with when there's so many other games that get 6, 7, 8 releases per gen on a single console?

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

As long as it's for the Wii U, is exploration based and makes heavy-innovative use of the gamepad I'll be happy. But for the love of Mickey Rooney, don't give us Galaxy 3 or a 3D Land/World sequel....

Yorumi said:

@JaxonH I also don't much care about those other companies and don't want to see nintendo become like them which they're fast doing. They've been milking mario more than CoD over the last few years and it needs a rest. As I said we havn't even seen a screenshot of zelda U but thank god we know that the potentially 4 mario game is in the works for the wiiU.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Yorumi

Mario more than Call of Duty? Not quite. Call of Duty gets a new release every single year, spanning 7 direct sequels in one generation on a single console. We get one 2D Mario per console per generation. We get one 3D Mario per console per generation. Not seeing it man, sorry. Last gen Nintendo made an exception and gave us two 3D Mario's on the Wii. But considering the DS only got a remake, it evens out.

So what if we get a second 3D Mario this gen? I mean, are you really gonna be upset that out of the 50-75 or so first party games that will be released on Wii U over the course of this gen, that two of them will be 3D Mario games instead of one? Idk man, that seems pretty rigid to me. I mean, we don't need a screenshot of Zelda U as a prerequisite to knowing about a game being in production. And there isn't four Mario games, there's just not. We have one 2D Mario on Wii U, and one 3D Mario. That's it. Same for 3DS. You cannot combine them because they are separate consoles. I mean, we'll have four Zeldas too if you use that logic.

All I'm saying is, we only get one Mario per gen per console per genre. We don't get a New Super Mario Bros sequel on Wii U every Christmas. We don't get a 3D Mario on Wii U every holiday season. There are going to be a TON of games between now and the 3 years it will take for this new game to release. By the time it does, you'll probably be complaining about not having a Mario game in 3 years. I know I will be. Personally, I'd be upset if they DIDN'T announce a second 3D Mario, cause I think I speak for everyone when I say I want to see a Galaxy 3 or equivalent. And I have a hunch that's exactly what this is, considering Miamoto's latest statement about the series.

element187

element187 said:

@WiiULoveGBA if it comes out for 3DS that would be the equivalent of Nintendo waiving the white flag on Wii U.

If Nintendo is serious about turning the Wii U around, they would keep firing 3D Mario at the Wii U in addition to other major franchises..... A Galaxy type of Mario game for Wii U would help move systems. 3D World sold several million copies in less than 3 months on tiny install base (while moving half a million consoles)

element187

element187 said:

@Nintenjoe64 I wouldn't be surprised at no DLC for 3D World. Nintendo no doubt has a ton of unused ideas from 3D World, that may make dlc feasible, but knowing Nintendo, they would turn it into a full blown game on its own so they can sell it for full price..... That's how Galaxy 2 was created, and Nintendo would make a killing doing that as opposed to dlc.

Marshi

Marshi said:

Hope: Super mario universe for wiiu utilising the gamepad in unique ways and creating massive open worlds to explore. Like a kind of skyrim with mario in it!

Reality: Its super mario 3d land 2 for the 3ds. More of the same 3d that plays like a 2d mario adventure that will sell loads but be about as inotative as cod

I hate been cynical...

Yorumi said:

@JaxonH I laid out all the games they've done. We've got 3 mario games on the wiiU right now. They have IPs we havn't heard anything about in years of decades how about giving mario a rest and develop one of those since both the 3ds and wiiU have plenty of mario to choose from. For that matter we don't even know it's a 3d mario game. For all we know it's nsmb3.

I'm also not buying this arbitrary 3 year thing. 3d world was announced mere months before it was released. Ok sure this isn't the official announcement but there's a limit to when 3d world could have gone into development. Luigi U certainly wasn't in development for 3 years, and don't pull the "oh they already had the engine." It doesn't take 3 years to build that engine. Nintendo games tend toward the more simplistic side and thus tend to be somewhat easier to develop than some of the other games we typically see.

I'm just not giving nintendo a pass just because they're nintendo. The quality and diversity of nintendo games is going down. They ignore IPs for years of decades, then don't promote them at all and use that self-fullfilling prophesy to say that's why they need to make more mario.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@JaxonH
The main thing is at the rate they've been releasing Mario games we should be seeing something for their other IP. They supposedly have teams dedicated to each series, but then what are they doing while 3D land, NSMB2, NSMBU, and 3D world have been in the works?

Mario IS becoming like Nintendo's COD, not literally but they way they've been depending on it. At the rate they've been releasing games I'd be almost shocked if even Retro's new project gets released by the time this game releases.

@Yorumi
Nintendo did actually admit they could make NSMB yearly if they actually wanted to, that at least says something about how simple the games are to make. Its not like they have a lot of text or even voice acting that needs localizing either.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Yorumi

I'm not disagreeing with you on wanting other types of games. I want to see games like Metroid, Star Fox, F-Zero, Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem, Battalion Wars, Sin & Punishment and the like as much as the next guy. I've just been gaming Nintendo long enough to know that a ton of different games will most definitely be available once everything is said and done and the generation is over. I guess a simple way to put it is- I have faith, because they've never let me down once in the five generations prior.

You're right, it COULD be a NSMB sequel, but I don't think so. Tokyo EAD only does the 3D Mario games. Everyone knows that. Which means it's a 3D Mario game on Wii U or 3DS. I don't think it's on 3DS because the handheld is well into its 4th year on the market. By the time the game would release it would be the eve of the next-gen handheld launch.

I go by three years because that's how long typical 1st party games take to develop. DKC Tropical Freeze took a solid 3 years, and it was a 2D platformer. Same for DKC Returns. Same for Metroid and Zelda- they take 3 years. Even Mario Galaxy 1 and 2. So while it is an assumption, it's an educated one.

As for the diversity- to each their own as I always say, but personally I'm pretty happy with the charted course. I mean, we've seen a Kid Icarus reboot, a Luigi's Mansion sequel, a Donkey Kong Country sequel, a new Yoshi's Island, a Starfox classic remake, a brand new IP with Wonderful 101, a Pikmin sequel after 9 long years, with a Xenoblade sequel coming, a Fire Emblem/SMT crossover coming, a Zelda/Dynasty Warriors crossover coming, Bayonetta 2... and that's all just in the last year or two. Multiply that by the 6 years a console generation lasts, and you begin to understand the sheer breadth of diversity the Wii U and 3DS libraries will embrace by the time the sun sets on this generation.

And as for quality, again, that's opinion and will vary depending on the eye of the beholder. But me, I feel every single game that has come to 3DS or Wii U has completely outdone any standing predecessors on prior consoles. I've been saying this alot lately, but I feel like Nintendo has REALLY upped their game as far as quality goes. I'd rank the Gamecube and SNES as the highest quality libraries up until this point. But at the rate Nintendo's going, 3DS and Wii U will be reigning champs in just a few more years. That's just how I feel about it- Idk, Fire Emblem Awakening, Zelda Link Between Worlds, DKC Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3, Mario Kart 8... these games just DOMINATE as far as quality goes.

It's cool though, I get what you're saying. I think if Nintendo wasn't so secretive about what they're working on, and we knew all the games they have in development for 2014, 2015 and 2016 release, you'd feel differently. Again, I just have faith.

KeithTheGeek

KeithTheGeek said:

It makes me sad when people say 3D World isn't a "real" 3D Mario game. I mean, yeah, it doesn't play the same as the others but...it's still 3D. And a platformer. I thought 3D World was incredible in fact, it's my favorite Mario game at the moment.

That said...I'd love to see a proper follow up to Sunshine, or one of the Galaxys. Surely they have ideas for that style of Mario game that have been stewing on the back burner, eh?

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@KeithTheGeek

Yes, they do. Miamoto was recently interviewed and stated that he would like to get back to the Mario Galaxy series. And if there's one thing I've learned- what Miamoto wants, Miamoto gets. Remember the last time he said he'd like to see something? It was when he stated in an interview that he'd like to see a remake to Zelda Link to the Past. Couple months later, bam. Zelda Link Between Worlds announced.

Yorumi said:

@JaxonH I see the quality stagnating and even going down. DKCTF is one of those getting a pass just because it's nintendo. The physics in that arn't done right, for example a swinging vine imparts no momentum. There's problems with the controls, like roll and pound being the same button despite the system having plenty of buttons. It's annoying that nintendo and those they contract with look at a 10 button controller and assume none of us are smart enough to realize it has more than 2. The bonus games were a joke, and the over all level design can't hold a candle to snes dkc. That game was a huge letdown because I know what real dkc games were like.

They so far have had a pretty strong aversion of using their own technology in the game pad. Then there's animal crossing where they barely change anything, and remain miles behind the sims and I'd even argue harvest moon all while it's devs pat themselves on the back for what a good job they're doing innovating. The VC is a joke at this point. They think we're too stupid to build mario kart tracks.

Sure there are plenty of worse companies out there but they are going in the wrong direction and I certainly don't want them to aspire to be just better than garbage.

Leonn

Leonn said:

Are we supposed to be surprised that they are already making another Mario game? Lol. However, I'm gonna make a prediction, I don't think its coming to either 3ds or wiiu, I'm thinking a brand new console, they must realize by now the wiius short comings, not only in sales but also in graphics. I think there's a chance that , well judging by the lack of wiiu games upcoming that is, they're preparing for a new system. Probably not though, however the wiiu just got a Mario game, so I doubt its for the wiiu

divinelite

divinelite said:

Mario worshipper be happy...
While others begging for another metroid, fzero, others entries will be shoved upon the glorious mario

Well look at the bright side people, if I want to promote wii u I can tell them it has countless mario more than other character wii u has

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Yorumi

Really gotta disagree with you there. DKC's mechanics were by design. Tropical Freeze is the most perfectly flawless technical platformer I've ever played. Watch my time trial runs ranking 4th and 13th in the world and you'll see just how amazingly precise you can be in that game. It played exactly like Returns, which was unanimously hailed a technical masterpiece. Not sure what changed from Returns to Tropical Freeze, but you can't hate one and not the other. And TF blew Returns out the gate- no more forced motion controls, no more "blowing" mechanic. Added run mechanic. New characters and movesets for each. Idk, I don't think we're gonna agree on this one- cause Tropical Freeze was one of the finest video games I've ever played in my life.

Yorumi said:

@JaxonH I'm really sick of the notion that bad physics is by design. A swinging vine should impart momentum, end of debate. That's essentially just a different wording of the classic "it's not a bug it's a feature." While the controls are usable that doesn't mean they're good. The wiiU has more than enough buttons to accommodate this, and you should be able to bind any action to any button. You know snes games allowed you to bind any action to any button, and yet this game which doesn't even mirror the sceen onto the gamepad is "perfectly flawless"?

This is exactly what I mean about giving nintendo a pass for being nintendo. If it is so perfectly flawless why can't it even be equally creative as the original dkc games on the snes? If it wasn't nintendo people would be pointing these things out and marking down review scores because of it. Instead because it's nintendo it's called perfect and flawless.

Oh and the only reason I didn't mention returns is because I didn't play it. But if returns is even less creative than this, then that's really sad and rather destroys my faith in retro.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

Well, I did recall reading that at one time they were looking into remaking Super Mario Sunshine for the 3DS.

In any case, I'll be picking up this new title if it's a platformer. The only way I'll stop is if they stop being good.

GalacticMario28

GalacticMario28 said:

@Yorumi
You seem to think that a new Mario game in the works means there won't be any other games in the works as well. Last I checked, the 3D Mario team works only on 3D Mario games, the Zelda team works only on Zelda games, etc. Other franchises are handled by other teams. Those who are still blown away by recent 3D Mario games will be delighted to play another one in a few years. Those who aren't can look forward to a game they're more interested in.
And since you apparently haven't noticed, there's a pretty big difference between a NSMB game and even a modern 3D Mario game; the difference is reflected in both sales and internet discussions. So it's not so much five Mario games in three years as it is two-and-a-half 2D Mario games (the half is for Luigi U, since it was primarily dlc, and even the retail version was half the price of NSMBU) and two 3D Mario games across two different platforms. When you look at it like that, it's really not that much.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Yorumi

It's a 2D platformer, not a vine simulator. Things aren't supposed to be realistic. The goal isn't to have realistic vine momentum, the goal is to have something that swings back and forth for you to grab and climb on. When you jump on a swinging vine, it stops its inertia and starts swinging the other way. That's about as realistic as it gets in a 2D platformer man.

And no, the SNES DKC games did not have customizable controls. Neither did they assign one button per action. In the SNES games, you used the same button to run and roll, AND to ground pound (only for ground pound, you also pressed down, which Tropical Freeze has eliminated the need to do). In Tropical Freeze, you have a SEPARATE button for run and roll/ground pound. So please, don't. It's by design. It's not bad physics- it means you can't perform a ground pound while moving, and you can't start a roll from a still position. Exactly like the original DKC games. Simple as that. And because one of these actions can only be executed while still and the other while moving, why have 2 different command buttons for the gamer to switch between, when it can be streamlined down to a single button that provides dual uses depending on context?

Also, the game is playable on the gamepad, so what is your complaint about not mirroring on the gamepad? If you want to view and play it on the gamepad, you can do so. If you'd rather play it on the TV, you can do so. You can do either one you choose. And you hated the bonus rooms? I'm surprised you like video games at all lol... It's a game man! The bonus rooms were 3 times as diverse as Returns, completely optional and 100% fun times. Yet this is one of your reasons for hating DKC?

And not equally creative? You're joking, please tell me you're joking. Tropical Freeze is about as creative as they come. I'm beginning to think you haven't played the game. Because nobody legit plays that game and says it's less creative than the originals, unless they're just jaded and looking to foster complaints. Have you forgotten what the originals were like? Couple wooden planks in a mine, maybe some hills with tree leaves in the background. That's it. It seems to me you're nitpicking anything you can to blast the game.

And btw, it's not because it's Nintendo. It's cause it's one of the best video games I've ever played.

Yorumi said:

@JaxonH vines impart momentum in 2d platformers, it's pretty common when you're swinging and let go you fly farther. When I let go of a vine it shouldn't feel like I jumped from a standing position on a flat platform. If that's by design then it's bad design.

I never said the snes dkc games allowed button binding I said the snes did, it's a very trivial task and they should have included it. You're the one calling this game perfect. Even if we ignore that though there is absolutely no reason to be binding things to the same button when there are plenty of buttons on the controller. Again bad design.

My friends and family enjoy watching each other play games. I, and some others here prefer playing on the gamepad, but when we're doing that no one can watch. Sure that one is truly minor but it is an issue in a "perfect" game as you say.

Creative? hmm like how every bonus game is the same thing? Creative mechanics like say the animal buddies? The most creative amount of terrain they have is ice. You can try to say I'm alone in this, and attack me but I can assure you I am not. The players seem to be roughly split on this on forums and clearly there's quite a lot of players who don't think it's a "perfect" game.

The game has technical flaws, and lacks creatively the most glaring example of which is the bonus games. It doesn't make it a terrible game but it's far from "perfect".

GalacticMario28

GalacticMario28 said:

@Yorumi
Well, I'm sorry that there are only four specific games you care to see at this point, but when you say it like that, it sounds like it has less to do with Mario and more about your personal wish list not being fulfilled. If that's the case, complaining about Mario isn't going to help you much. If you want more of those games, you'll have to convince a lot of Mario/Zelda fans that the franchises you mentioned are awesome and that they should start demanding that Nintendo make more of those games ASAP.

And Nintendo doesn't get excused for things; it's actually the other way around. Whenever Nintendo does something even remotely unoriginal or "safe," they get bashed all over the internet for it, yet when any other company makes something that is either unoriginal or just has a couple of new twists, no one complains at all.

Yorumi said:

@GalacticMario28 There havn't been 5 zelda games in 2 years. There's multiple mario games on the wiiU and 3ds. I said earlier I'd have the same complain about any other IP if there had been so many back to back. It's not just those 4 specific ones it's just examples of other games they're completely ignoring. It's also kind of a meaningless response cause would you really like it if I responded to you by saying "well I'm sorry that the only thing you want on a nintendo console is mario." It just puts words in people's mouths and doesn't advance the discussion at all.

I get it it's popular, but I've been over this already, nintendo doesn't even it's other IPs a chance. They only promote mario and pokemon. The other IPs got years adn decades between releases, and when they are they arn't advetised at all. Then when they predictably don't sell nintendo uses that to say they need more mario. And again they could make a lot of these games fairly inexpensively on the 3ds and work on building fanbases by promoting them well and not giving up after one single game.

We'll see what they deliver, and e3 is right around the corner, but enough with mario for a while that's all I'm saying.

GalacticMario28

GalacticMario28 said:

@Yorumi
I'll acknowledge that I read a bit too much into that statement. I only mentioned Zelda because it's popular, so it has a lot of fans who, if introduced to some less established franchises like F-Zero, could increase the size of those fanbases and make it more likely that we'll see more of those games before our grandchildren are spoon-feeding us. I agree that Nintendo doesn't need to rely almost exclusively on Mario to sell systems, but I still don't think one more game coming in a couple of years is as big of a deal as some people are making it out to be. I suppose that's all I'm trying to say.

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

I am personally hoping for the evolution of Mario Galaxy, which I'm sure this is in reference to. (not to say I want Galaxy 3, I just want to see the evolution after Galaxy, such was the case with Sunshine and 64.)

Honestly, a 4 player 3D Mario game with no timer and large worlds to explore and stars to find is my ideal Wii U experience.

Yorumi said:

@GalacticMario28 well what you're mainly seeing is the straw that's breaking the camel's back. I for sure, and I'd say most people commenting, don't think this is some horrendous decision that's going to ruin nintendo. People were saying enough when 3d world was announced, and now we're just one more game down the line so you're seeing the backlash growing even more.

I don't want to play armchair ceo exactly but these things don't "slip" they're intentional. It's certainly not all negative but there's a decent bit of anger over this. The do need to start paying attention to this or they risk driving even more of their fanbase away.

GreatPlayer

GreatPlayer said:

@Yorumi I remember in the SNES era Mario does not appear that often. Now it seems that every Nintendo game has Mario in it. Unless you are a hardcore Mario fan, you start to get tired to the games. I personally did not buy Mario 3D World given how frequent Mario games appear (I was very sick of another game with Mario cameo appearance). I know that there are many fans saying the more Mario the merrier. But, it may not reflect the attitudes of other gamers.

If Mario Galaxy 3 comes out my hitch is that it will appeal to the group of gamers who already purchased Wii U or 3DS. Do Nintendo have other strategies to attract gamers from PS4 or Xbox One? I know many people saying that Nintendo made good games, but the question is... do every gamer like Nintendo games? When I play Rayman Origins and Sonic I know what the answer is negative.

Yorumi said:

@GreatPlayer It's difficult to say with the fanbases of the other systems. The 3rd parties arn't wrong when they say their games don't sell on nintendo systems so clearly the nintendo fanbase isn't that into their games. At the same time the nintendo type games don't really sell on the sony/ms systems. So the fanbases are definitely different. I mean to give you an idea I've got a ps3, but I have I think 7 games for it. As much as I've been raging here I've got more wiiU games than that. So there's definitely different fanbases(for the record I bought it for tales of graces which is easily the most fun tales game I've ever played).

There's also the problem that nitnendo's fanbase tends to be a bit closed minded. Sonic all-stars racing transformed is better than mario kart wii, and yet it didn't sell all that well on the wiiU. Even when it comes to nintendo's own IPs it's really unpredictable what will and won't sell. Pokemon(an rpg) can't stay on the shelves, xenoblade didn't even really justify the localization(not that i'm not greatful for it). Why does animal crossing sell but not harvest moon?

Personally I see their best chances coming in a few areas they should persue. Metroid offers a pretty mature universe that they could do a lot with. No more whinny samus with daddy issues. You're not going to pull in the fps crowd with that but if promoted and done right you'd offer something more for that type of gamer.

They really need to build up monolith, promote the heck out of X, and give them funding to start pumping out more RPGs. The idea is to fracture off the SE fanbase. There are impossible die-hards, but there are a lot of SE fans upset with what they've been doing to FF. If they also helped pay for ports of tales games from namco they could get a decent rpg offering.

As crazy as it sounds I think they're relying too much on the nintendo fanbase and not really doing anything to grow that fanbase. Anyway it's easy for me to sit here and say this when I'm risking nothing, it's quite another to be in Iwata's position and be making these decisions when they affect the lives of thousands of people.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@GalacticMario28
Nintendo does get excused for things, not everything, but even small criticisms like the Wii U needing an ethernet adapter is defended. Part of what you mentioned I think is due to holding Nintendo in higher regard, thus higher standards. The SNES shows what they're capable of.

@Yorumi
For similar but poor selling games it could be that being by Nintendo just makes it "better", kinda like how cheap wine tastes just as good as more expensive ones. Its a weird bias for games, but the principal should be the same. Games like Animal Crossing do have a slight edge in certain areas, while the motivation for playing might be the same.

As for Nintendo's focus on their fanbase, it might be due to playing it safe and not wanting to risk their long-term well-being on expanding their audience. It works against their blue ocean strategy but they could be hoping their games being as inclusive as possible will do the work for them.

Yorumi said:

@Zombie_Barioth that does seem to be what their current strategy is. We'll see how things play out, and hopefully 2015 is when we'll see zelda U and X.

The ethernet port is funny to me for two reasons. I never cared about it being wireless only but it was funny seeing them promoting the usb ethernet port to wire the connection. And also with my personal setup my desktop pc is across the room from my router but it's wired(didn't have a wireless card and I didn't want to buy one). My wiiU though is sitting inches from the router and on a wireless connection. Just kind of weird.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@Yorumi
Yea, and that one little thing just added fuel to the fire, because apparently people aren't just defending the Wii U's wifi, but needing an adapter too. Naturally Nintendo's critics are adding it to their list of, well, criticism.

Anyway, I'm curious to see how Hyrule Warriors does. With as bad a rap as Dynasty Warriors gets I wanna see if people are more open to it for being Zelda or reject it for being too different. That and Bayonetta 2 since its the kind of game most diehard fans would likely turn their nose up at despite the hype its gotten.

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

Mario 3D world should have been developed for 3DS.

Mario needs a FULL fledged expedition into HD next gen. We need stunning in the same way when we first saw Mario 64 and Suler Mario Galaxy.
It needs to be a new Mario Series.
It needs to be HD
It needs to be next gen.

These three rules also need applying to:
Zelda
Metroid
F-Zero
Star Fox

If Nintendo don't start hitting THAT stride for first party, then it's THAT that stops Wii U being next gen. Currently Wii U first party titles look like tarted up versions of Wii games. Haven't all their games been 2-7Gb per game so far???
They need to push further into the power of the Wii U and deliver some next gen visuals and huge worlds with depth aswell as first rate gaming experiences.

Nintendo's best attempt yet and greatest wii u title yet? Donkey Kong Returns. It doesn't exactly make Beyond Two souls look bad visually though and that is running on a weaker machine.

Bishasaurus

Bishasaurus said:

@Swiket

Aptly put my friend. Seriously, like there would be a moment that a single Mario game wouldn't be in a development, at least in the planning phase. The fact that they're already making a new Mario game doesn't mean it will be even shown in near future. Instawin for Internet-Sherlocks indeed.

withoutdk

withoutdk said:

and i have not even finished luigi or 3d land... .. ...
but i will have to buy it if it is for the wii u.. as it needs support.

Yoshis_VGM

Yoshis_VGM said:

@DESS-M-8 Personally Mario Kart 8 looks like the most visually impressive game the Wii U has offered up as of yet. But I totally agree, the next 3D Mario game needs to be an entirely new game, NOT GALAXY 3!! Honestly, I don't want a Galaxy 3. I loved the first two, don't get me wrong, but a third one is not needed.

Although your comment with 3D World though, I felt that it's better on Wii U. I don't really see the 3DS being able to pull that game off. It was a fantastic game but I admit, it's time for a brand new Mario game.

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

@Yoshis_VGM my comment about 3D world is due to the fact it is clearly a direct sequel to 3D land so why change format AND by being on Wii U instead of 3DS it instantly is not "3D" world.

Also, I agree about MarioKart 8, however it's not out yet.

When its released, if it's as solid as donkey kong, then I'd agree 100% that it's been superseded. Definitely looking forward to what Retro Studios bring next.

Alucard83

Alucard83 said:

If they are smart they will bring it on WII U. In the past we had mario 1, 2 and 3. Not 1 game per console. The DS is now a number one thing of Nintendo. How about gamers playing WII U?? I won't get the 3DS since it cost a lot of money for a technology that is like the Nintendo 64 era. Just my opinion!

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@Alucard83
Well, for one thing SMB2 wasn't supposed to be a Mario game. Thats also one of the few console generations that had multiple games, most had 1, along with a 20-year long hiatus for 2D games.

The 3DS isn't as weak as it looks by the way, its actually fairly close to the Wii power-wise. In fact a few games are actually enhanced versions of Wii games. You could probably say its to the Wii as the PSP was to the PS2.

Ayronom

Ayronom said:

Super Mario Galaxy 3, Super Mario Sunshine 2, or another Super Mario 3D World game.

kuribo4

kuribo4 said:

I am hoping for Mario Universe too. One big world.
And I don't know how, but make the game have exploration like Mario 64 but also fast platforming like 3D World. That'd be awesome.

DaveGX

DaveGX said:

I have a particular idea what the next Mario should be, I'm not particular for another Galaxy because #2 felt like a similar, too close story to the 1st, and I actually really lik how well everything is laid out in 3D world like sort of a throwback to the originals, but I'm thinking the next should be super Mario Universe maybe? I know someone already posted concepts on YouTube, but I wouldn't have Mario visiting other Nintendo Universes. To me it'd make more sense to have different variation/alternate Universes of the Super Mario Universe in general. Basically there could be different scenarios of the Mushroom Kingdom/Worlds, Dinosaur Island, etc, variations /twists on all enemies and all items beyond we've come to expect or things we could only imagine. again these are just some basic ideas.

GalacticMario28

GalacticMario28 said:

@Yorumi
I understand what you're saying, but the fact is there will always be more Mario games, just like there will always be more Zelda games and more games in every other exceedingly popular franchise. This information did come awfully soon after the release of the last Mario game, so I can kind of see why people are making a big deal about it, but that doesn't change the fact that it will be a while before we actually get the game. Hopefully Nintendo will release a lot of other games to distract people from Mario in the meantime.

@Zombie_Barioth
I understand people having higher expectations for Nintendo, but sometimes it just gets a little out of hand. For example, compare the announcement of DKC Tropical Freeze to the announcement of Rayman Legends. Both are the 5th main entries in their franchises, both are made in a similar style to their immediate predecessors (both of which came quite a few years after the 3rd entries), and both were released between 2-3 years after their predecessors. Yet Legends was hyped and DKCTF was bashed. You could argue about the quality of each game, but there was no way of knowing how good/bad they would be when they were first announced.
I agree that there are times, such as the adapter issue you mentioned, when people do defend Nintendo too much, but I think there are other times when people criticize Nintendo too much.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@GalacticMario28
Yea, theres definitely a lot of give and take to it. With DK, just like Mario, I think it comes down to how frequent their games have been appearing recently.

Not that either needs to go away for another 20 years, but the past games are still relatively fresh in peoples' memory, so it feels like we 'just' got one already. For some there might not be such a thing as too much, for others once in a while is plenty.

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

Another request is.....

Stop making the mushroom kingdom like Skylands!!!!!!!!!

Why are all levels in Mario games just arbitrary floating land masses? Why do we not have and actual world in which to play?
Mario Sunshine created us a world and it was lush and stunning.

Now with the added depth provided by HD visual technology and the vastly improves draw distance, having a living Mario World is surely on the cards?

I'm not saying create an RPG or something like Hyrule shoehorned into Mario. But stop with the floating land clumps and create something solid. Something stunning. A proper home for Mario and his adventures.

A world with no ground just instantly rules out utilising Yoshi properly and is a constant health risk to him.

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

Another request is.....

Stop making the mushroom kingdom like Skylands!!!!!!!!!

Mario Sunshine created us a world and it was lush and stunning.

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

Meh, i rather hear about one of those "new" franchise they said they had a development when they announced the Wii U at E3 2011. I have only seen 2 released and maybe 1 that hasnt been released yet.

DaveGX

DaveGX said:

@DESS-M-8 No offense, but back in the early/retro days, desie that I've enver really goteen into Spyro/SkyLanders,floating land masses or platforms were pretty much what Nintendo challenged us with in a Super Mario Bros game other than the sual midair platforms. I believe its perfectly suitable. Although Super Mario 64 did have its fair share of solid areas too in its own respect, so i'l give hem props for that as well also because it was the 1st 3D Super Mario to really challenge us. Galaxy 1 and 2 were challenging too but somewhat of a cakewalk in my opinion because of that experience with the exception of the more challenging levels.

Gameday

Gameday said:

It better not come out for another 2-3 years... I think it needs to be a new creation on Wii U... The 3ds has tons of Mario games. Who's with me ?

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

@DaveGX no offense taken, also too many mis-types to actually understand what you're saying.

My point references skylanders as there will be more people that have played than Mario64. Also Mario64 employed the "floating islands" due to memory restriction and adding environmental depth was impossible back then, similar techniques were the ever present and excused "Fog" to hide draw distances.
Sequel to Mario64, Mario Sunshine brought back a solid land mass as a base for the Mario World as was experienced on the SNES.
It has then gone back to the floating islands with Galaxy.

The style and charm of an actual world is much more investable for a player as the island approach feels more like a broken disjointed WarioWare approach to the game, with each level having no tangeable relationship to te preceding one.

Presenting a world for Mario to adventure in would add depth and present the opportunity to start showing a true next gen Mario. Mario 3D World felt no different to 3D Land on the far inferior 3DS hardware.

You want people to invest a lot of time and money into a next home console? Take your flagship franchises and develop actual next gen games. The Wii U is an amazing piece of machinery with a higher ceiling for potential than the PS4 or Xbox One. It's true.
However the shortcomings this generation are now lack of software over hardware, the opposite to the Wii at launch.
Withing 2 years if Wii Launch we had Zelda, Mario Galaxy.
They've would have done better to have held back Skyward Sword, developed it in HD and added a wii remote for £349 when launching the Wii U.
MarioKart and Smash Bros will not move consoles, they are nintendo gamer games.
Flagship titles are what attract buyers.
Mario
Zelda
Metroid
F-Zero
Star Fox

These are the games that have been responsible for moving hardware units throughout Nintendos hardware history. The sub-series games are for fans.

Nintendo need a Mario game on Wii U, it's needs to be very high end and it needs to make an almighty bang when it arrives, and needs to be closely followed by Meteoid and Zelda. They need to establish that the wii u is a source of consistent AAA exclusives worthy of your attention a your money,
Right now. Nintendo are failing in a big way and are at risk of no recovery,
They also need E3 to be VERY big for then this year.

DaveGX

DaveGX said:

@DESS-M-8 But if you really think about it, Nintendo's consoles are nowhere near in XBox or PlayStation's league because Nintendo is way too protective of their products, their hardware proves it, and it's rather reflected upon in their own IPs, really.. That's where the lack of hardware is coming from because their hardware doesn't meet a lot of developers standards for what's considered next gen.They turn every feature that could be so much better into mere's child's play and incomplete because they're too busy catering to the younger audience. Gamers don't want to be treated like children. Another problem is that in all honesty, I don't feel that they really listen to their audiences at all; What they do is listen and read feedback then take that feedback and produce their own ideas/version of it, not what their audiences really want. The only real reason Nintendo ever got as far as they did with their franchises is because there was hardly any competition back in the day. But now that there is they need to realize hat the times have changed and open up their own standards. They can't keep relying on their old-school ways of selling wishful thinking to everybody, the beliefs or hope that what they like is what we'll like.and such. If I were with them and would've done 1 thing different, considering the DS line, now that technology is further along enough, I would've looked into/invested time into 3D VR HMD possibilities earlier on as opposed to the 3DS, just not to jump ship but because more possibilities are open for them to do so and right this time around. And while it's pretty much a well known fact that the VirtualBoy was way ahead of its time and simply wasn't ready, that doesn't man Nintendo should ignore/walk away from the idea because by this point they can definitely produce something worthy and comfortable if done correctly, just don' try and build all the hardware/entire console onto the HMD, that was their 1st mistake that added the weight and made it uncomfortable.

Henmii

Henmii said:

I think they will do a new Galaxy after all. But from the sound of it they have just started, so we won't see it at this years E3.