Weirdness: Luigi's Mario Kart 8 'Death Stare' Is Deemed Noteworthy By Fox News

Posted by Damien McFerran

More exposure for Mario Kart 8, though

One of the more amusing memes to come out of Mario Kart 8 has to be Luigi's "Death Stare", which we're pretty sure you've seen several times in the game itself, as well as on various social networking sites.

It would appear that this particular element of Nintendo's new Wii U racer has well and truly "gone viral" and crossed over to the mainstream media — as evidenced by a clip featured on Fox News in North America.

Perhaps it was a rather slow news day in the Fox office, but we personally think this is fantastic publicity for the Wii U — and will surely result in additional sales for the platform. In fact, this is the kind of exposure that money simply cannot buy, and bodes well for the future commercial performance of the game — which has already sold over 1.2 million copies worldwide since its launch.

Here's Fox's coverage of the video:

And here's the original video, which has over a million views now:

[via gonintendo.com]

Kewlan

Kewlan said:

Luigi's done with all the poopoodoodoocacapoopledoople he's gotten.

readypembroke

readypembroke said:

Just to let you know, that isn't Fox News. It is a Fox affiliate in New York City. The actual Fox News is called Fox News Channel.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

The video has as many views as copies sold of the game over the weekend. Think about what that tells us as sentiment species of this planet.

smikey

smikey said:

Of course he looks mad he'd probably spent the day playing online & getting screwed on the last lap of every race.
still this is his 8th mario kart & his 4th online so he should be use to it by now.

MegaStoneSmash91

MegaStoneSmash91 said:

I enjoyed this way more than I should have. :D It's just so satisfying to see yourself roll right past someone in the highlight reels. The song is also surprisingly appropriate.

DreamyViridi

DreamyViridi said:

Well, this happened! XD
I suppose this is a good way of advertising the game. It will spread through word-of-mouth thanks to this! Luigi's clearly had enough of the 'Green Mario' treatment he's been getting up until now. The Year of Luigi ain't over 'til Luigi says it's over. You will respect the L or get the Shell!

Artwark

Artwark said:

Yeah It looks like Luigi is trying to tell us to request another year of luigi!!!!!! :D

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

Luigi isn't the only one who gives people the sink eye in MK8
Untitled
I'm pretty sure Nintendo didn't think their Kart racing game will look so dark.

Mega719

Mega719 said:

Saw this coming when i was playing this myself i thought "this isn't the plumbers we know a love crack a smile "

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Sheesh, not even Mario's serious face can compare to Luigi's look of stern determination. Still, though, it's funny something like this could spark interest in the game.

Stu13

Stu13 said:

I've watched this at least 10 times and it just keeps getting funnier. Best use of the internet in the history of the internet. Thank you, Al Gore.

shigulicious

shigulicious said:

I prefer the footage of Luigi blasting Toadette with that green shell. The broadcasters would have scored a few points if they pointed out that the "other racer" was in fact Luigi's nemesis Waluigi. But free advertizing is cool.

shigulicious

shigulicious said:

@ModestFan93 This was a local Fox affiliate, not that Sean Hannity Fox News channel. That station would have blamed Luigi's anger towards President Obama.

Shambo

Shambo said:

A brother can only live so long in the shadow of his older brother, before going to the dark side.

"Come to the dark side, we recently recruited Luigi!". I'd fall for that.

Shambo

Shambo said:

@Goginho Well, he became the hero in a scarier adventure, didn't get the same praise (only a "that's a my brother!"). He did however show he's the one with the guts, the talent, personality, love in his heart,... And now he's showing he's got a lot more where all that came from.

Gotta love the 'Luigi wins by doing actually nothing' Youtube Mario Party video's ;)

Yai

Yai said:

I love the fact that this got on TV xD When I first saw it I died... Luigi is truely creepy in MK8 D:

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

I looked at a highlight reel of mine from when I played on the downhill mountain course, and there was a part that focused on Toadette driving along with her happy little smile as Luigi zoomed up to the camera from behind. As the two of them got right next to each other, I hit slow-mo and Luigi slowly turned to give Toadette that death stare...while Toadette just smiled innocently back. It was HILARIOUS.

I laughed so hard at that second video!

IxnayontheCK

IxnayontheCK said:

Bloody hell I can't stop laughing about it! God knows why this has hit my funny bone but it only makes me want this game even more haha

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

I seem to remember one of the earlier trailers for Mario Kart 8 depicting Luigi passing or bumping past Mario, looking rather aggressive, and laughing at him, if I recall correctly. Luigi is playing for keeps in this new one; that's for sure.

And yeah, Feaux News, slow news day, desperate fools trying to stir controversy will only help with sales, Luigi's a badass, blah blah blah... We should already know this.

Also, I know that this apparently famous stare is used indiscriminately, but c'mon! It's Waluigi he's looking at. No surprise, there. It'd be more disturbing if they used a clip where he struck Daisy, then looked back at her with those cold, unfeeling eyes.

Cresartist

Cresartist said:

A FOX News articles (a short one, anyway) about video games that doesn't involve a long rant how it's corrupting our youth or saying how it's making people become violent and commit violent acts?

What year is it?

Excep7ional

Excep7ional said:

I'm loving these Luigi gifs/memes.

EDIT- lmao that second video. Definitely adding that to my favorites.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

@Genesaur "It'd be more disturbing if they used a clip where he struck Daisy, then looked back at her with those cold, unfeeling eyes." I would love to see that. I hate Daisy with a passion...it seems like Mario Kart games, for whatever reason, prefer her because she always seems to be in the top three, and she's always annoying the stew out of me by hitting me with a shell, flying past and going "Oh yeah!". She needs to get the death stare!

ToonLink795

ToonLink795 said:

LOL I have Mario Kart 8 and did not realize that Luigi gives a death stare look at characters in the game. Maybe I should play as him a little more.

Ninhau

Ninhau said:

Do I see a Resident Evil spinoff starring Luigi? Dead Mansion on the WiiU

kensredemption

kensredemption said:

Fox will report about anything remotely trivial, won't they? I think Luigi can be forgiven since he's giving the "death stare" to Waluigi. :P

edcomics

edcomics said:

That's pretty funny, actually. I hadn't seen the Luigi thing yet. Just a small note to point out for some people, though. The clip was aired on the Fox 5 network, which is actually quite different from the Fox News network. It's pretty clear they're joking about it and it was just included as a little bit of fun.

ECMIM

ECMIM said:

Perhaps someone else noted this, but this is NOT Fox News--this is a clip from a Fox channel affiliate (read: a regular OTA channel) in NYC, which has nothing to do w/ the cable channel Fox News.

(A small quibble, but accuracy is nice, yes?)

koelboel

koelboel said:

@LordJumpMad
Hahaha, DK was twitching so fast you could almost get the feeling DK is repaying an earlier death stare. Just saying, Luigi would know.

GalacticMario28

GalacticMario28 said:

This is great. I can't believe something like this is getting this kind of exposure, but I'm not complaining. I'll have to look for this stare once I get the game.

absuplendous

absuplendous said:

@ECMIM Accuracy is nice, but not as nice as click-bait.

What's as concerning is that some people approached the article/video with the mindset that it was "Fox News," which led them to either misinterpret the tone or intent, or worse, imagine it.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

I think what's even more funny than the this making a local news station is that all you have to do is say the words "fox news" and religious zealots come out of the woodwork to attack the infidel.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

That is pretty funny, mainly cause it's a news station pointing it out. Also love the original.

It would be also funny if it played a satanic chant or part of a opera song. Maybe "Vesti la giubba" or "Mozart- Requiem", granted they been played to death in dramatic moments. But nice pick of song none the less.

Drobotic

Drobotic said:

That's not the TRUE original.I saw it on Know Your Meme and it just had the footage of Luigi passing Waluigi with a death stare with no music.

HappyMaskedGuy

HappyMaskedGuy said:

Clearly the Wii U is still DOOOOMED...

Haha, those Nintendo cynics never cease to amaze me with their ability to grossly underestimate the greatest gaming company ever (and evermore).

All who bashed the Wii U, please get off this planet. You are all fools of the highest caliber.

Lobster

Lobster said:

Hahahaha nice!

That's not Fox News, btw. That's a local Fox station. Fox News is called Fox News, not Fox (Channel Number).
Edit: For instance, my local Fox station, which provides local news, is Fox 11. It most certainly is not Fox News.

noctowl

noctowl said:

lol at all the hate on Fox News when this isn't even from Fox News. Just shows how ignorant people are.

HappyMaskedGuy

HappyMaskedGuy said:

Why is everyone getting so hung up on the fact it isn't Fox News? Plenty of people have already pointed out as much in the comments- aye, journalistic accuracy is important, but big woo, it isn't Fox Network News. Who cares? :/

No need to repeat what others have said already. Read the other comments first perhaps? It's good manners, yo ;)

Oragami

Oragami said:

Fox News isn't even CLOSE to the worst or least accurate news station out there.
Have you watched MSNBC?
And yes, I know that this isn't Fox News in the video.

mch

mch said:

Video is awesome, Luigi's awesome, death stare is epic, as is the game, sound is poopoodoodoocacapoopledoopledoggiepoops imo.

noctowl

noctowl said:

@Oragami or any news station for that matter. They all have an agenda. It's a business. It's entertainment. People just like to hate on fox since it's different than their usual "news" source...the daily show and Stephen cobert.

Mecha_Boo

Mecha_Boo said:

The thing about this, if they had actually mentioned the fact that this was a new mario kart on wii u, which would have taken about five seconds, this would have been good publicity. but right now the same problem as most advertisements for wii u are happening. no ignorant parents or families are going to know the difference between this and the wii version, because they wont pay enough attention.

Tony_342

Tony_342 said:

I completely agree with the points made in this article. This is exactly the kind of silly-funny-viral-free-marketing-publicity-type.... thing that the Wii U needs right now to get over this hump of unnecessary, completely undeserved negativity that's been surrounding the system for the past year and a half.

LawRulesALL

LawRulesALL said:

Hi guys, new here on nintendolife community!! 'Till now I've been only seeing the news and expectating passively without leaving my mark anywhere. I´ve recently bought a Blue Special Pokémon X & Y 3DS (it was by march, i think...) and only now decided to comment here. Know why?? BECAUSE OF THIS FREAKIN' VIDEO! That's why. ROFL out here xD Seriously tough, this is great marketing for nintendo for free, I've clearly seen, after that, that Wii U's community is dedicated and passioned.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

All joking aside, Mario's been making faces like this for years, but no one says anything about it. Oh, but when his little brother gets serious, people think he's become demon-possessed!

shinesprite

shinesprite said:

Really, there's no need for any of this point-at-the-TV-and-shoot nonsense, MKTV has it covered. ... whatever, as long as it works for them. ;)

Vincent294

Vincent294 said:

@Oragami If there is a close second on my opinion, MSNBC is crap too. I can see either being the worst. I just read Reuters or Washington Post, sometimes Al Jazeera. Washington Post openly has some bias towards each side, which is interesting.

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

between the Luigi "death stare" and the DK "derp face" MK8 is shaping up to be my favorite in the series. LOL!

R_Champ

R_Champ said:

@noctowl

Not usual like Colbert and Stewart in that it's not funny, not interesting, and over 90% fabricated ("people say") BS...every news show has an agenda and makes exaggerations/mistakes; Fox News has a vendetta against intelligence. This Luigi story is the best thing I've seen out of them since their inception.

Oragami

Oragami said:

@R_Champ Fox News is the only news station that is willing to call out all other news stations on their BS. And I have yet to see an actual lie Fox News has told (while I've seen several from MSNBC). And how does Fox News have a vendetta against intelligence?