Nintendo Download: 19th September (North America)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

A legendary HD release, monstrous discounts, classic Mario and much more

We have a bumper Nintendo Download week for you, North America, with over a dozen games gracing the Wii U, 3DS and even the DSi. A certain Zelda title is headlining, but we also have terrific — but brief — Monster Hunter discounts, some retro goodies and enough new 3DS eShop software to actually shake a stick at. Onward to the details, brave gamers.

Wii U Virtual Console

Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo, $4.99) — This wasn't Mario's first appearance in gaming, but it was the title that propelled the mascot and 2D platforming to a whole new level. This original may stop you from running left and have some other quirks, but it's still very much worth playing, as our Super Mario Bros. review explains.

Wii U Retail Download

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (Nintendo, $49.99) — An early download release certainly represents a treat for North American Wii U gamers, arriving alongside the official hardware price cut and limited edition Wind Waker HD bundle. Already a wonderful game on the GameCube, this HD re-release includes a range of improvements and adjustments in order to deliver the definitive version. We were certainly impressed with the final results, recommending this as a must-have for those new to the title and well worth consideration for those that adventured through the GameCube title; check out our The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD review for full details. Available to download from 20th September.

Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure (WB Games, $59.99) — Available from 24th September

Wii U Temporary Discounts

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Capcom, $29.99 until 9am Pacific Time on 22nd September, normally $59.99)

Chasing Aurora (Broken Rules, $4.99 until 3rd October, normally $6.99)

3DS eShop

Star Wars Pinball (Zen Studios, $6.99) — As the Wii U eShop version prepares itself for a new set of tables, the long promised release finally arrives on the 3DS. Two previous entries have done a solid job on Nintendo's portable, and this entry of three tables is sure to keep sci-fi fans happy. We'll see whether it has Hollywood quality in our upcoming review.

AiRace Speed (QubicGames, $4.99) — The third in this download-only series, this 3DS entry is aiming to live up to its name with high-tempo tunnel flying. With 18 tracks, five different jets and some impressive gameplay footage shown to date, this one certainly seems to have potential; we'll get prepped and bring you a review.

Rage of the Gladiator (Gamelion Studios, $6.99) — Originally a well-regarded WiiWare title, this 3DS version includes improved visuals, two additional difficulty settings and a new in-game shop to buy and upgrade weapons. We'll go a bit Russell Crowe for a review, and in the meantime you can read our enthusiastic recommendation in the WiiWare Rage of the Gladiator review.

Mahjong 3D - Essentials (TREVA Entertainment GmbH, $2.99) — This takes the basics of Mahjong Solitaire, the tile matching puzzle genre that has made many appearances on Nintendo's portable download stores, and give you lots of it. There's a lot of content here that's well presented, and certainly does the job at its budget price, as our Mahjong 3D - Essentials review makes clear.

3DS Virtual Console

Solomon's Key (Tecmo Koie, $3.99) — This is the action puzzler that just keeps returning in recent times, with Wii U Virtual Console releases in North America and Europe also arriving earlier in the year. It has a loyal following, but it's also relentlessly challenging to the point that may be a turn-off for some; that shouldn't count against it as long as gamers are aware, as we explained in our Solomon's Key review.

3DS Retail Downloads

Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure (Warner Bros., $39.99) — Available from 24th September.

FIFA 14 (EA, $39.99) — Available from 24th September.

Hakuoki: Memories of the Shinsengumi (Aksys Games, $34.99)

Shifting World (Aksys Games, $7.99) — A puzzle title that doesn't reach its potential, to learn more you can check out our Shifting World review.

3DS Temporary Discounts

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Capcom, $19.99 until 9am Pacific Time on 22nd September, normally $39.99)

DSiWare

Tales to Enjoy! The Ugly Duckling (Enjoy Gaming, 300 Nintendo Points) — Enjoy Games brings more interactive stories and minigames with The Ugly Duckling, which includes full voice acting.

Tales to Enjoy! Three Little Pigs (Enjoy Gaming, 300 Nintendo Points) — As above but with Three Little Pigs.

Phew, lots to choose from. Let us know what you plan to download in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (325 votes)

Super Mario Bros. (Wii U Virtual Console)

12%

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (Wii U retail download)

30%

Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure (Wii U retail download)

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Wii U eShop temporary discount)

Chasing Aurora (Wii U eShop temporary discount)

Star Wars Pinball (3DS eShop)

AiRace Speed (3DS eShop)

Rage of the Gladiator (3DS eShop)

Mahjong 3D - Essentials (3DS eShop)

Solomon's Key (3DS Virtual Console)

Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure (3DS retail download)

FIFA 14 (3DS retail download)

Hakuoki: Memories of the Shinsengumi (3DS retail download)

Shifting World (3DS retail download)

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Tales to Enjoy! The Ugly Duckling (DSiWare)

Tales to Enjoy! Three Little Pigs (DSiWare)

Nothing for me this week

27%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Kolma

Kolma said:

Whether or not Nintendo is releasing SMB today because of Yamauchi.
Or that they kept his death secret until today.
I will still be buying it both for what it means, and that it's a great game to this date.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Wow what awesome deals on Monster Hunter. If I didnt already have it I would for sure pick it up now.

WinterWarm

WinterWarm said:

"A bit Russel Crowe" LoL nice @ThomasBW84.

I'm definitely getting Rage of the Gladiator. I don't have the money for Monster Hunter, unfortunately. :(

TreonsRealm

TreonsRealm said:

I thought Kung Fu Rabbit was supposed to be half price like the European eShop this week? What happened?

Mainer82

Mainer82 said:

I'm waiting for WW Retail disc. I'm also hoping to see A Link to the Past as a Wii U download.

SammyOfMobius

SammyOfMobius said:

No Super Mario Bros. 3? Wow, what a shame. :( Well, I suppose I'll hold out this week. Maybe SMB3 will come next week. Other than that, I guess this week isn't half-bad. SMB3 would've made it amazing though.

tchaten

tchaten said:

Super Mario Bros. first only because I'll have to wait until midnight to download Wind Waker HD!

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

Heck of a week. Gonna be spending quite a bit of coin. That MH3 discount has me interested.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Get Monster hunter people!! You have no excuses! Its well worth 200 hours of your time and way more then that actually!

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Call me when SMB3 releases on 3DS...

I did just get Contra 4 though. I can't wait to unlock Contra and Super C on it!

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

Getting Star wars pinball but it will have to wait until next weekend when I get my Pokemon X & Y red limited edition console since the screen on my pink one is completely black.

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

I am getting the physical Wind Waker with the Ganondorf figure for sure. I hate how they have been with us retail buyers with games like this and Luigi. I feel like I am being punished for wanting the box version like I have always got.

JohniePizzapies

JohniePizzapies said:

I've been eyeing Monster Hunter for some time and these discounts are pretty good. But I prefer physical copies and do not like to download retail games. Now I'm confused. great.

russellohh

russellohh said:

Gahhh I never did get into Monster Hunter, but with the price discount, maybe I will give it another go...

I just felt like a jerk killing all the sleepy vegetarian animals that didn't attack me, and the controls felt so slow. But but.... hmmmmm!

Sonicfan11589

Sonicfan11589 said:

@Mainer82 agreed on thee Link to the Past comment, would be great for newcomers and those who want a refreshing of the story before the new 3DS game releases.

Klimbatize

Klimbatize said:

Solomon's Key is only $4? Is that the first NES game to be less than $5? I think it is. Good sign of things to come.

Great week overall. Will be buying at least four games for the 3DS.

jestermx6

jestermx6 said:

I'm waiting for disc release of WW HD. But the fanboy in me wants to download it tomorrow so i can play this weekend!

rjejr

rjejr said:

That's a pretty big DL week for Nintendo, yes?

Is NL planning anything special for the re-launch of Wii U that starts tomorrow? (It's still weird being in Best Buy and Target seeing the $349 price everywhere and thinking "Hasn't that gone down yet?")

Maybe a "create a new marketing slogan" contest or something? I need an NL t-shirt, screen saver, or an autographed TW bobblehead :-)

MussakkuLaden

MussakkuLaden said:

The discount of MH3 is a nice move, would be grat to see something like that in Europe too. However, as it's rather the hardcore and time-consuming aspects of the game which put me off, and not the pricing, I would probably skip it nevertheless.

MussakkuLaden

MussakkuLaden said:

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

Those are amazing sales on MH3U. Just three days to take advantage of that!!!

Star Wars Pinball and Rage of the Gladiator are on my GET list.

ejamer

ejamer said:

WOW... This is an amazing week for Nintendo downloads! Zelda, massive Monster Hunter discount, more 3DS pinball, and Rage of the Gladiator returns in portable form?

Fantastic! My only complaint is a lack of time and money to enjoy them all the way I'd like to.

Cohort

Cohort said:

MH3U 3DS for me, I have a PAL Wii U so I'll have to wait until tomorrow for Wind Waker..

Birdman

Birdman said:

Either Rage of the Gladiator (eventually) or Hakuoki, if that one turns out to be good.

VoiceOfReason

VoiceOfReason said:

Wait... Monster Hunter is only on discount for two days. Dang it! I am still trying to find the money for WWHD and then have enough for LBW when it comes out. I have to make a decision quick.

WinterWarm

WinterWarm said:

@jay2

I think NA already has The Lost Levels... Near positive I saw it in the Virtual Console.

I might get StarWars Pinball if I can demo it first.

Seeing alot of content but no samples. :/

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

Still no Revenge of the 'Gator or Star Soldier :( Nothing for me then. I'd probably get that Solitare Mahjong game if I didn't already have a good one.

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

I was really hoping for Sonic Classic 3D this week.
Oh well, I'll guess I'll get the Ugly Duckling because the game looks like @lz

biglee

biglee said:

Waiting for my limited edition WW HD with Ganandorf figure on October 4th. Plus I still have to beat Ocarina of Time 3D before then. Most likely SMB for me this week. The question is when are the N64 Virtual Console games coming?!?

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

People buy Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate on the discount! Amazing game, especially with online co-op on Wii U! Do it! Do it now!

AirRace Speed is the new title I think has the most promise. I await the review.

GrimSh

GrimSh said:

I actually had no idea that WindWalker would be released this week as a downloadable title! What a delightful surprise.

SmaMan

SmaMan said:

I better hold off this week. I'm heading back from Chicago and just picked up some fine retro fare I will be enjoying this week. X-Men Vs. Street Fighter anyone?

LDXD

LDXD said:

Nothing because I'm waiting for the boxed version of WW because it just looks so good :)

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

I despise impulse purchases, and I've survived steam sales before, but that Monster Hunter discount...

Emblem

Emblem said:

I'm so jealous of the US right now, we have to wait until the 4th for Zelda and Unmasked hasn't even got a release date in the UK. Well atleast we got Megaman X today which i'll be downloading soon.

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

SMB was announce last week, I think, and it's well worth a buck. WindWaker at midnight! US peoples, TARGET will be running their buy 2 get 1 Wii U game free Sept. 22 to 28, but that's before the physical WindWaker release so nice there. Still, good deal.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

You need to update this download list. In Wii VC some games are back:

• Ninja Spirit
  • Legend of Hero Tonma
  • R-Type
  • Vigilante

It is very weird that this games came back since it has more than a year they were out of the store.

Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King said:

@Kolma since Europe got SMB last week, and we caught up with MegaMan X (finally) this week, I'm guess it was just a coincidence this fell at the same time as both Europe and America caught up on a game this week.

jay2

jay2 said:

@WinterWarm Yes, it's on the Wii Virtual Console and the 3DS Virtual Console, and I have both. I'd really like to see it on the Wii U VC.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

This is definitely one of the better weeks we've had so far, but I gotta ask... what's the deal with the Virtual Console slowrolling? Not only should they give us more vintage games every week, they should definitely start including N64 and GameCube titles in the Wii U side of the VC.

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

I'll be picking up Wind Waker HD as a physical copy later, but i'm kinda tempted by MH3U on 3DS. I played the WiiU demo, but didnt think it was worth $40 or $60. But at $20, i may give it a go.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

What a bad week... The one game beside scribblenauts dc comic adventure - 3ds i was looking forward to downloading was Cut The Rope - 3dsware guess just getting Scribblenauts DC: CA - 3ds. :'(

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

snoox

snoox said:

I can't decide whether to get Super Mario Bros for Wii U or 3DS.... suggestions?? ^.^

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Kind of amazing/sad that we get the chance to re-experience two of Nintendo's landmark games (SMB & Wind Waker) the day Yamauchi passes away. RIP, good sir.

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

Hmmm maybe I just might have to pick up MH3 but like is it worth the space and the time? Like is this a game I'm gonna be really going back to time and time again?

idork99

idork99 said:

Another great week! I'm looking at Star Wars Pinball!

Also, what a steal for MH3U! Probably one of the top 10 games on the 3DS IMO with hours upon hours of gaming fun! For those that do not have this game, it's a must play!

Senario

Senario said:

@russellohh fight a rathaos and never feel bad again!
@Blue_Yoshi it is well worth your time and can be worth hundreds of hrs of fun! Even more so on the wii u because of online play!

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Nintendo makes more money from digital downloads than they do from retail releases, since the store gets their own cut from retail releases. Its fair I think of them to push download releases.

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

Awesome week all around for once. I grabbed Star Wars Pinball & Solomon's Key. Thinking about Rage of the Gladiator & AiRace Speed after I see the reviews.

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

@Fast_45er

That's an excellent purchase there!! I have the game as well and from time to time, I pop it into my 3DS just to play the original NES titles. :)

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

@Urbanhispanic Thanks! Although after trying the first level, I'm not sure how I'm going to beat it, but I'll get through it eventually. :)

I'd never tried a Contra game before so given the fact that there are three of them on that cartridge, and that it was only $16 on Amazon I took the plunge! I was going to get Super C on 3DS along with Contra if it's ever released on 3DS VC, and Contra 3 when it gets released on Wii U. This seemed like a better deal. Still going to try Contra 3 on Wii U when it comes out though!

JustinH

JustinH said:

Already bought (and beat) Super Mario Bros. I'm getting Wind Waker at retail.

SMW

SMW said:

Wind Waker! Not this week, though. Actually, probably not until after I buy Wii Fit U. (Well the Fit Meter atleast.) Gotta save up a bit so I'm not too broke after all the bills.

XFsWorld

XFsWorld said:

Woah no love for Scribblenauts o.o

and Wow we forgot that Flipnote 3D even exist!! Lol

AdanVC

AdanVC said:

Dat sweet Monster Hunter discount is tempting! I think It's finally time to get it so I can play it while I wait for my retail disc of Wind Waker HD. (It's the Ganondorf Edition so 2 more weeks, sigh)

OptometristLime

OptometristLime said:

@russellohh
That was the exact scene that put me off Monster Hunter's gameplay. It's not a common hindrance perhaps, but we do share that perspective.

But then I'm a Pokemon Mastah so the creatures I fight end up in Poke balls, or maimed to the point of fainting I guess...? Yey Pokemon! :$

Hamguar

Hamguar said:

Man If I didn't get Monster Hunter 3 U at launch I totally would now. Even so I've logged in 800+ hours and only now just started my little hiatus, although I kinda miss playing it. It really is worth your money if you haven't gotten it yet.

Hamguar

Hamguar said:

@ russellohh If it helps, look at it as an alternate universe where nature is ultra hyper aggressive to the point that the BEST humanity can hope for society-wise is the hunter/gatherer/stone age era as the normal fauna have the capability of wiping out entire villages by just existing. Heck the Deviljho is basically an ecosystem devouring fiend.

Senario

Senario said:

@OptometristLime To be fair you do not need to hunt herbivores later in the game usually. When you go on the harvest tour quests you get free raw meat which is the only supply you might need from them.

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

In the UK theres so much I want
SSF43D, Monster hunter Wii U, Rage of the gladiator, I still need to download the 30% reduced wonderful 101, I want Rayman legends, Zelda WW Wii U, GTA 5
I think I'm gonna have to sell body parts

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

Zelda is $49.99 on the US eShop, but 59.99€ on the Euro eShop? That's over 81 US Dollars!! :(

Windy

Windy said:

Was going to buy a bunch of games this week but picked up 2 old games on Playstation 2 from Ebay (Persona 3 and Persona 4) Will be getting Star Wars Pinball and Mahjong Essentials soon

Slayer

Slayer said:

No good DSiWare for me. This Tales series is ridiculous and is spamming the DSi Shop with its horrible games.