Wii U Price And Release Dates Confirmed

Posted by Damien McFerran

Two bundles available at launch, November is the magic month

Nintendo has just confirmed release dates and price points for its forthcoming Wii U console.

In North America and Europe, we'll be getting a white "Basic" pack (with 8GB storage) and a black "Deluxe" pack (with 32GB storage and the same extras that are set to be included with the Japanese "Premium" bundle).

In North America, the Wii U will hit store shelves on 18th November, 2012. The Basic set is $299.99 and the Deluxe retails for $349.99.

In Europe, the release date is 30th November, but no price has been confirmed - instead, Nintendo is allowing retailers to decide, which is what happened with the launch of the 3DS. Trade website MCV has asked retailers for comments:

"MCV understands the trade price for the Basic Pack is £205, the Premium Pack has a trade cost of £246 and the ZombiU version (which includes the Premium Pack and a copy of Ubisoft's horror shooter ZombiU) has a cost price of £270. One of the sources said he expects the retail prices to stick at around £250 for the Basic unit, £290 - £300 for the Premium unit and £330 for the ZombiU set.

We'll see how the competition amongst retailers develops in the coming hours and days.

Which Wii U bundle will you be going for? (264 votes)

8GB Home Type

11%

32GB Premium

89%

Please login to vote in this poll.

[via mcvuk.com]

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

Black Wii for me, still waiting for Ninty Australia to upload their Wii U page for pricing (shouldn't be long now)

Pikachupwnage

Pikachupwnage said:

Deluxe set is a great deal.

Nintendoland
Wii U stand
24GB more internal memory
Nintendo premium

Just 50$ more.

NiBar

NiBar said:

Seriously ? why no white deluxe set. I hate black. Bad mistake Nintendo..

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

I may be getting this when the games starts coming which means months after E3 2013. I still have a few games on the Wii to get through.

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

So basically thats 50$ extra for Nintendo Land, stands, more memory and 10% discount on downloads? thats a no-brainer

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Letting the retailers decide the price again Nintendo? Like with the 3DS? Are you mad? EU getting shafted again. Anyway, besides that - COOL!

AcesHigh

AcesHigh said:

I won the bet! LOL!

The roumor reported earlier was Nov11th by the “analysts” and I stuck with Nov 18th. A dude at GameStop even “let me in on a secret” last week and said it was going to be Nov 14 (WTF?). FAIL! LOL!

Just an example of paying attention to history to predict the future!

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

Guess I won't be getting this launch day. I want the black one but can't afford 349.99 right now.

Silverbullet89

Silverbullet89 said:

Deluxe is easily the best value.... but I won't have the money for it plus a game by then :/.... I'll just have to wait and see I guess D:

AVahne

AVahne said:

I was set to get the White one, since I want to have equilibrium between my Nintendo consoles and my Sony consoles (was planning to get a white Wii U and a white Vita to counter my black PS3 and black 3DS). Now I plan to get the Black Wii U because of all that awesome value, and I'll still get a white Vita...as the outsider lol....

Robo-goose

Robo-goose said:

For fifty extra bucks, you get a fifty-sixty dollar game and 24 extra gigs of storage (and a bunch of little things that you probably won't care much about).
Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

I'm definitely getting the deluxe black one. I feel sorry for those chums that get stuck with anything else.

Hokori

Hokori said:

I wonder how much of a discount I already have from my wii VC downloads, since they said you'll get discounts for every game you download and I already have 70+ games downloaded

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

The only chance I'll get this anytime soon is if I get it for Christmas. My mom just asked we just what Wii U is all about, so I'm going to get every bit of info to convey to make it as appealing as possible!

noxusprime06

noxusprime06 said:

awesome thats super close to my birthday :D. even though the only way im getting this if theres a metroid game or conduit game in its future

THENAMESNORM

THENAMESNORM said:

Shop To in the UK have apparently listed the WiiU Premium Pack for £279! I expect that to come down to around £250 within a few weeks elsewhere though!

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

I'm kinda annoyed that to get white you have to get the lesser version... I generally prefer the white because it stands out against the tendency of TV electronics to be black, but I want the better version... And Nintendo Land...

Also, did I miss something or is Nintendo Network Premium only announced for Japan?

FlaccidSnake

FlaccidSnake said:

@THENAMESNORM Shopto have had that price for months.
Gamestation have just confirmed that we will be able to get the basic pack for £210 and the premium for £250

Nanamine

Nanamine said:

Getting Black Deluxe with: Rayman Legends, Pikmin 3, New Super Mario Bros. U, Scribblenauts: Unlimited qnd maybe ZombiU :D

Ryno

Ryno said:

Guess I don't care about the color all that much. Who wouldn't pay $50 more for the deluxe? I will probably get an additional white Wii U gamepad for the wife.

Knux

Knux said:

Shame that it's so expensive. I don't know if I'll be getting a Wii U anytime soon or not. It looks like Nintendo hasn't learned their lesson with the 3DS.

GreenDream

GreenDream said:

Personally, I'm more interested in the uses of the technology moreso than the games. The Wii Remote was an interesting modding device, and I'm sure the Upad will be too.

I'm also pleasantly surprised with the physical engineering upgrades of the 3DS XL over the 3DS. I think it will last 5 years or more, just as every Nintendo console and handheld has for me. My NES, GBoy, SNES, GBoy Color, N64, GBA, GCN, DS, and Wii all still function to this day. That's probably one reason for the relatively high price tag of Nintendo hardware compared to PC hardware that is rarely ever mentioned - Nintendo hardware just doesn't DIE.

Whereas with just about every other console or system (PC, PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox/360, PSP, Vita), you really have to go out of your way for them to last any more than 5 years of heavy use.

GreenDream

GreenDream said:

Also a little disappointed with adhering to the 6-year old HDMI standard, instead of using the relatively newer DisplayPort or another newer specialized display format. But hey, whadya do...

ADaviii

ADaviii said:

I love Nintendo, but I'm not going to be getting this for the price (at least not day one). Not saying Wii U is a bad console, but I'm probably going to buy a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.0 this year and, while Wii U is great for games, the tablet is great for just about everything else for me.

Maybe next year, though

fortius54

fortius54 said:

I know this is completely off line in this section, but Reggie didn't mention anything about the NFC. We all know the pad supports it, but they didn't say anything. I have a feeling at the next E3 you will see some sort of Pokemon that will use this. I cannot imagine with all of the hype that has surrounded Skylanders that Nintendo does not capitalize on it. Think of the sales alone from the toys. There are hundreds of Pokemon available. It's a gold mine.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Based on the 2 US bundles I can't see a lot of reason for getting the white unless you don't want NL, but even then you could just trade it in after trying it out. Since the black has the extra 24GB and several stands, and NL is a mini-game bundle designed to show off the new system, it is possible it will sell separately for only $30 or $40 rather than $50 or $60. That might give enough reason for people to buy the white. Also, stores may throw it in for a discount - buy the basic get NL for $20 - if the white doesn't sell well over the holidays.

I think the $299 basic should have included NL and then $349 could have added the Controller Pro for the hardcore, or drop both systems $50 to $249 and $299. The Wii was $249 w/ Wii Sports. 5 years later the WiiU should have been $249 or $299 w/ NL. I know the WiiU has the Gamepad, but every game graphically looked like 2 Wiis duct taped together. Actually the Activison games looked worse than that.

In Nintendo's defense, the Wii was completely sold out for over a year, almost 2, so I don't fault them for charging as much as they can, they can always lower it later like the 3DS. And that's when I'll buy it.

fortius54

fortius54 said:

Oh the dilemma of it all. My brain says don't do it, but my heart is say let's go to GameStop, right now and put the money down. I was expecting a $250 and $350 option, but the $300 seems to much and the $350 seems well worth it. Decisions, decisions.

shinpichu

shinpichu said:

I'll wait for a price drop. I kinda want to get the NL bundle, but since I have to be cheap now I'll probably end up going for the regular bundle.

Does the Wii U support external hard drives?

Enzo_V

Enzo_V said:

i hope nintendo life is gonna post the wii u hates i red from ign.com and gamestop they are all like THE WII U IS GONNA FAIL. Lets see how the ps4 fails in the future .-.

hydeks

hydeks said:

$349 for all that and Nintendo Land? And it comes out November 18th!!!?? Wow, I'm in! Kinda wish it was more than 32GB though, but can't complain much.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

A bit more than what I'm willing to pay for the system based on what I've seen so far but it's not a terrible price either. Still $50 cheaper than what the only 360 package worth buying was at its launch and much cheaper than what either PS3 deal was. It'll be interesting to see how the market reacts to the price. 3DS never took off at $250 but this is a home console and considering MS thinks it's ok to still charge $400 for 360 in 2012 I don't think $350 for a new system is unreasonable.

GeePers

GeePers said:

Preordered and prepaid for the 32GB Wii U and Gamestop. Also preordered Lego City, Super Mario, Call of Duty and Assassins Creed.

bluecat

bluecat said:

Sounds great, will probably get the deluxe bundle but I won't be buying at launch. I have to prep for grad school. :|

StephenYap3

StephenYap3 said:

I'll be getting white...what!? I have to get a Black Wii U for the Deluxe pack? Nintendo, I want the "White Deluxe pack"! Do it or I won't buy...

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

Aww I wish the White WiiU was the deluxe version too/ instead. It would of match well with my white gba, ds, ds lite, gamecube (well platium) wii and if they release a white 3ds/3dsxl in NA that too.

Well I guess it's what's on the inside that matters.

FamousQuest

FamousQuest said:

I think the two versions is a smart idea for Nintendo and the bundles are fairly reasonably priced. That said, I'm not really interested for the time being.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

Dated and ready with cash :) I'm getting the Premium version day one in EU along with NSMB.U.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

If I ever get one, although I've got to check out the WU later today(my busy schedule today), just the price points put me off, from the very start. I know pcs are more easily upgradable, & are always ahead of most consoles, but if I'm paying @ least $300, I would like it to go to a console that will not be easily ousted horse-power-wise by competitors. A console that has muscle, for what I'd be paying.

This doesn't mean I'm automatically against the WU, &/or for the next Sony/MS consoles. But, it doesn't mean I'm into the WU just yet, either. I'll have to check out more later today, but as of now, if I get a WU, it will not be @ launch, if at all.

bennyt

bennyt said:

Hi all

Just a heads up. Just preordered my white and black wii u from amazon.co.uk for £220 (white) and £260 (black premuim).

White so far is confirmed for nov 30 whilst the black is for dec 31st

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!

bennyt

bennyt said:

@ Capt N

Thanks, erm yeah you could say i'm a newbie : )
First time posting, but i've been following the site for over a year now, its a great site.
Just sooo pumped for the wii U, thanks goodness my birthday is the 26th oct. I know where my b'day money is going

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I'm surprised its being released in the west before Japan. Anyway, I was hoping to get a white one so that the gamepads and console match the Wii remotes and nunchuks but I'd want to get the deluxe bundle. I'm not planning on getting a Wii U for a while though so maybe the deluxe bundle will be available in white by the time I do get round to it.

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

Ooh, so cheap in the states! (compared to Europe)
I think it's the Ninty Land premium pack for me, but the Zombie U one is kind of tempting.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

@FonistofCruxis: The Wii was released in NA region first, then JPN, & EU. Maybe it's the market Nintendo is catering to? So they release it in NA first?

Ren

Ren said:

whoa, that basic set sure is... basic. why bother? in a year the deluxe will be basic and a redesign will be 64. If they can keep current with downloadable content then we'll all be itching for external storage a few months in. Didn't learn from the Wii on that or on pricing either. Deluxe should also have a remote+ or a pro pad. expensive for a small HD system with a built in Roku. I still prefer the Wii motion system though so I may be willing to do it over xbox if the games pour in fast. Ok, we see it now; Meh. NOW get to those little developers and churn out the games or we'll never touch it. Content is king, now, no device alone can make the sale alone (Apple, Nintendo, Samsung, Sony, whatever. they all do the same junk, but content wins the race)

citizenerased

citizenerased said:

@Ren: Reggie has gone out of the way to say that they kept the disk memory low because it's such a rat race when it comes to that. He's saying people are better off buying a hard drive (if they need that kind of disk space) for a competitive price than Nintendo including it. So yeah they could update it yearly with more disk space, but Nintendo aren't exactly known for their redesigned consoles.

In other words, unless you want Nintendo Land or the premium membership (we still have no idea what that means), you're better off buying basic (and a $50 500 Gb hard drive down the line).

Light-Of-Hope

Light-Of-Hope said:

I was wondering why can't they make white colored system 32GB, but anyway I'm happy to hear the announcement of Wii U release.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Definitely getting a black wii u premium. It's even my preferred colour! Think i. 'll maintain my shopto.net per-order

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

@Knux So you expected a brand new home console to retail for the same price as a 3dsXL or less or something? Not trying to jump at you, I just don't see how anyone could not see this as the steal that it really is(for what iis being offered and brought really).

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Black and bigger... those qualify as a purchase for me :D

And I was spot on with the price, go ME :)

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Shopto has the premium pack at 296 pounds. British consumers getting ripped off yet agin with Nintendo hardware,. Well done NoE it won 't sell at that price. Insanity.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Amazon has changed its premium price as to be announced and GAME has it at 310 pounds. Absolute madness. You Bensons NoE

Dezsi

Dezsi said:

Is it always the case that Europe has to pay more for video game stuff (at least near launch) than America? I haven't been following other launches other than this one.

Flashman

Flashman said:

Was going to order one when Amazon had the price at £265 but at £285 I am gonna pass!

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

I am excited and I would like to get one but I think it is too expensive for what it offers. It should have been $300 max for the Deluxe bundle. Nintendo Land does not look like it will be worth the $60 price tag that Nintendo is trying to sell it for separately and a 32GB hard drive in this day in age is a joke. I will probably end up getting one but I think that Nintendo is going to have a hard time trying to convince people outside of the Nintendo-faithful to pony up the cash for this system. For Nintendo's sake I hope that I am wrong.

BJQ1972

BJQ1972 said:

Don't forget those UK trades prices don't include VAT so you can add 40 odd pound to those. I am expecting about £280 for the basic and £330 for the premium pack.

Huiee123

Huiee123 said:

I have to pay half the price and my brother and parents the other. Hmmf, at least I get to play on first.

Varia01

Varia01 said:

SO EXCITED!!!! MUST HAVE DELUXE!!!! NOW!!!!!! THE NEW ASPECT I AM MOST EXCITED FOR IS THE NEW METROID MINGAME!!!!!!!! (They gladly haven't gave up on the Franchise) I'M SO DESPERATE!!!!!! NINTENDO RULES THE GAMING KINGDOM!!!! IF ANYONE SAYS XBOX 720 or PS4 IS BETTER THAN THIS, I CAN'T WAIT TO CRUSH THEM INTO SENSES!!!! OR BLAST INTO ORBIT UNTIL THEY ADMIT IT!!!! I WANT THE DELUXE SO BAD!!!!!!!!

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

Just preordered the black Wii-U Premium/Zombi U bundle from Shopto.net :D I was all set to get a white Wii-U (to match my white launch model Wii) but given the extras that the Premium set offers, it really is a no brainer.

Super-Mario-Fan

Super-Mario-Fan said:

I wish they had a White Deluxe Wii U Because Every Wii accessory I have is White. so it could all match. What im going to do is buy a case for my Wii U gamepad.

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

Hopefully you can buy the extra discounts on the standard edition. I won't be able to afford the deluxe unless I'm really lucky, so standard for me.

gefflt

gefflt said:

I think I'll be getting the black, Premium Wii U, if only to better differentiate from my white Wii.:P

Cesco

Cesco said:

I hate black consoles too. And 32Gb are almost a joke during these days, if you compare that space with the 120Gb you're getting on the "old" PS3.

Linkstrikesback

Linkstrikesback said:

Wow. If those are really the trade prices for the Wii U in the UK, absolutely no way I'm buying one.

I'm sorry, but I REFUSE to almost as much for a basic bundle in the UK/Europe as Japan and America pay for a Premium bundle. (Japan prices include tax, and Americans tax varies by region, but still...see numbers below).

Prices for Wii U in Japan (Tax inc)
Basic: 26,250 Yen
Premium 31,500 Yen

PRices for Wii u in NA:
Basic: $299.99
Premium $349.99

UK price +VAT according to trade price = £246
£246 is 30788 Yen. Barely less than the Japanese price for PREMIUM. Now, currently, the lowest price I can see for preorder is £250, which is even closer to the Japanese Premium price.
When compared with the NA price, £246 is an almost $400. $50 more than the premium NA price (without tax, might be around even when it's accounted for)

And then we get on to the premium price. Oh god.
UK premium = £295.20 at minimum, again, assuming the above trade price is correct.

That translates to nearly $477 dollars, or 37,000 Yen. Feel free to laugh at the EU now.

I wish, just once, we could get fair pricing in the UK ;-;

/rant over.

I guess I'll see you in 6 months at that price drop you've got scheduled Nintendo!

Cesco

Cesco said:

Definitely not a day-one purchase for me. I'm probably going to buy one of those when there'll be a white deluxe model priced at €249 or less (I bet that this will happen within the end of the next year)

Henmii

Henmii said:

"In Europe, the release date is 30th November, but no price has been confirmed - instead, Nintendo is allowing retailers to decide"

Exactly as I feared! Luckily most retailers didn't rip us off with the 3DS, so hopefully it will cost 300 Euro (the basic bundle) at most retailers in Holland!

What do I think of the price? I hoped for 250, but 300 is reasonable. Luckily, by the time I buy it, it may be reduced to 250 Euro.

Or I could go for the Premium edition. That's pretty expensive though, but then again you get a lot of memory space. So I have yet to decide!

Update: Oh, the Premium edition is only 50 Dollar/Euro more expensive. And by the time I buy it, it will cost 300 Euro. Okay, I may consider it!

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

Damn you European Union!
I want my Wii U ASAP, but I feel like I should wait for the inevitable price reduction. Yet, Nintendo has talked about how they are hoping for to be able to maintain a reasonable price from the get go so no reductions are needed.
The Euro prices are irritating. Rawr!

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

Hooray for finally knowing what prices are and release date! Hmm... now to try and play catch up on the news I missed from earlier. Deluxe addition for me.

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

Just pre-ordered the Deluxe at a local Gamestop, the manager was telling me he's sold nothing but the 32 GB model and lots of them. Hardly anyone is going for the basic package.

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

@ajcismo If that's the case, I better pre-order ASAP. I was lucky to grab a Wii 5 years ago at launch without a pre-order, but this time I better play it safe.

zipmonStaff

zipmon said:

Woohoo!! What a day! =D

$300 sounds about right to me! I'm making my own white "Deluxe" bundle: basic 8gb/white console set, Nintendo Land, and the Gamepad cradle set. It's a weird move on Nintendo's part, splitting the colours up over the two configurations, but for me it's worth the extra ~$20 (forgoing the bundling savings on the Premium set) to get the colour I like.

With SD cards as cheap as they are these days, the 8gb doesn't seem much more restrictive than the 32gb, either. When you run out of room, pop 32 or 64 more gigs in there! =)

I'm getting excited for Miiverse's potential too - hope there're some community features so we can get together as a Nintendo Life tribe!

Metal_Slugger

Metal_Slugger said:

You get a sensor bar a charging cradle, a wii u stand with the deluxe version. That alone is worth the extra. Especially if you plan on pawning your old wii off. I personally think I will get the deluxe version just for the charging cradle. I'm not "thrilled" with nintendo land but I bet once I play it I will really like it. I certainly want to try it that's for sure.

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

Already Pre-ordered my Black Wii U at gamestop!!! Also pre-order Assassin's Creed 3, Rayman Legends, Super Mario Bros. U, and ZombiU!!! Now the wait for Wii U begins!!!!

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

I was planning on putting aside upgrading to the iPhone 5 this year for a Wii U, but I'm going with the iPhone upgrade instead.

While people are praising the HDMI cord that the system comes with (that you can get for a few bucks on Amazon!), I'm not paying $350 for an HD system that comes with 32gb of memory. That's a complete joke in this day and age. Heck, Sony gave away nearly 100gb of games free just a few months back to PS+ members.

Sorry Nintendo, but this is the first console you've produced in the last decade that I won't be buying day one. The competition is entirely too strong these days. :(

Kirk

Kirk said:

Too much.

Nintendo learned absolutely nothing from the whole 3DS debacle.

No sale.

End of.

Juicy_Orange

Juicy_Orange said:

I can wait for Christmas and get the white Wii U. Can't wait for Smash Bros. and a 3D Mario game on this thing!

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

Just changed my pre-order to the premium bundle, officially stoked:D
Bring on Nov 30!!

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox said:

I pre-ordered the black model from Best Buy's web site today (with free store pickup) and I feel great. Now I just have to wait. And wait. And wait. Sigh.

ElementalChaos

ElementalChaos said:

My mom preordered the black Wii U from Gamestop today. Even though I would much prefer the white color, the extra features the premium one offers seals the deal for me.

It's a fine price, really. I never expected anything under $299.

1wiierdguy

1wiierdguy said:

@Janett Wii U memory is expandable by SD or USB. If you want White just grab it. You won't be missing out on anything that can't be puchased seperatley anyway. :)

arrmixer

arrmixer said:

well I'm probably gonna get the deluxe version eventhough like everybody else I really wanted a white Wii U!!!

Anyway gonna preorder tommorrow after work :) getting NSMB U with it as well...

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

My sister already pre-ordered the Deluxe, black version with the Nintendo Network Preminum and Nintendo Land in tow, so we're good to go! NSMBU was pre-ordered as well. I had originally wanted a black Wii U back during E3, so I'm happy to know that I'll have my first black Nintendo console soon.

The Deluxe edition is a wonderful deal considering that Nintendo Land by itself would've cost $50, so now I'll have that along with benefits and the console itself. I'm not so much surprised that North America is getting it before Japan but that we're getting it so much earlier than Japan. That is very unusual, but I'm not complaining.

Wolfo

Wolfo said:

WTF!!!!
Wii U it's expensive!! Iwata says that price will be atractive, but isn't.
It's a new console coming late in generation, can't be selled at this price (And deluxe version, WTF, few capacity), it must be more cheap for this specs.

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

Really people? I am pretty sure some of you went out and bought a $600 PS3 and launch day. Plus Nintendo does there downloads different. remember the block downloading they had on Wii? Plus MORE GB = more money!!!

Ren

Ren said:

for what this is, it's expensive. Nintendo has smartly always kept their profit margins larger than any other systems, but it isn't always the key to a winning system it just ensures that they stay afloat should they take any chances. There's no defending that price with that little memory.
At this 'sub-gen' time an HD console claiming to sell full retail games online, then store them on that? If I pay for a 'deluxe' HD system it means having onboard storage that can handle many full size games. So we're supposed to buy retail games at the E-shop and then put them on SD cards? who's idea was that? That's just a recipe for quick profit at launch for fans, then slumping sales, a price drop and a larger memory version in maybe a year to keep it selling. I'll have to wait for that and get an un-named phone with as much memory in the meantime that does more than recycled games and a media player. So we'll basically be required to buy some cheesy external drive if we want to use all these "fancy downloadable" games. Has anyone at Nintendo ever even tried the other systems before?

Ren

Ren said:

If I buy a Cadillac or a Porsche at a premium price I expect it to have the internal hardware to support that performance that I paid for. not a 5 gallon fuel tank. Oh, but I guess I could always tack a 30 gallon tank onto the back for "extra", right? No way.
Shamefully out of touch, they are. I was hoping for a surprise but nothing has changed.

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

I guess I will get the deluxe one. I cant pay for 350$ now, so when I have the money, I hope the deluxe bundle will still be around.

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

@Gridatttack make sure you pre-order one because i was told when they send out those pre-orders those will be the only console the companies receive!!!

3DS_excel

3DS_excel said:

For those saying that this is expensive, its probably the new controller that's putting the price higher, it's gotta be worth £80. Plus I wouldn't worry what other countries pay as its swings and roundabouts, they pay more for other stuff etc. plus in USA they pay sales tax on items most places and this is added on afterwards, unlike UK prices which already have VAT added.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Amazon uk has wii u premium at 299.99 pounds. Nintendo's farce of ripping off Britain and the EU continues in earnest.

BJQ1972

BJQ1972 said:

@LEGEND_MARIOID you see a £300 price and you see Nintendo ripping us off. I see a £300 price tag and I see £50 going into the pockets of the chancellor. Either way it's expensive.

BJQ1972

BJQ1972 said:

What a lot of people also aren't realizing about the onboard flash memory is how easily and inexpensively upgradeable it is. Any of you upgraded your PS3 HDD? Xbox360 - I would guess that in a lot of cases people have gone out and bought another console rather than try it.

With the WiiU slip in a £20 32GB SD card or pop on a flash drive.

Metal_Slugger

Metal_Slugger said:

I'm not concerned about storage space. No one should be that stuff will be dirt cheap in the future it is now. It would just add to the cost of the wii u. I am more concerned about what darn color I want. I'm tempted to go basic and buy the new Super Mario Bros.. I definitely want to check out nintendo land though but I have a feeling it will be a lot cheaper on the used market than Super Mario Bros. Hmmm... got a lot of time to figure it out unless they all sell out.

No-longer-postin

No-longer-postin said:

I work in the electronics department in my, local Kmart. Not only am I getting it day one, but I'm getting it at a discount. woot woot!!
BTW - 32Gb Premium version, here I come!

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Geeze, if you Europeans complain so much about the cheaper prices of US games, just send us your hard-earned pounds and euros and we'll send you all the Wii-Us you want. The United States is in a big, big hole thanks to everything that we use being made in frikkin China, Geeze!!!

Only problem is whatever discount you get from importing will be lost at the customs office... :p

PixelatedPixie

PixelatedPixie said:

In the poll there really should be an option for 'neither'. Surely I can't be the only one who isn't sold on Wii U and doesn't intend to buy one at launch.

Samholy

Samholy said:

allright. now that the NA prices are official. i must revise my jugement.

349.99 for the console, the hdmi cable, the tablet, a premium online service plus nintendo land seems fairs to me.
i would have bought nintendo land and the cable anyway, which, even at 249$ price point would have cranked high up to that 349.99.

so yeah, i was pissed when i saw 400$ estimated price, now im fine with at 350. for a system launch, its rather cheap too.

still gonna wait for system updates, used games availability and maybe a price drop. i wont do the 3DS at launch mistake again :-p ( i love my 3DS and dont regret it. i only regret the 100 dollars i paid)

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

275 pounds at zavvi uk which is closer to the proper wii u premium price. However, they're probably trying to attract customers as they have poor customer reviews generally..or average ones...Not trusting them with my expensive order as they've let me down ayew times before

Cesco

Cesco said:

Play dot com is about to sell the deluxe model with ZombiU for €472,49... it's about 615$ !
Too expensive or underpowered for that price IMHO

Samholy

Samholy said:

@Kirk
yeah, thats why you simply have to wait a year so there is a fair used games market going on, maybe a console price revision, reviews and system updates.

and you can bet they will lower their price when the next generation consoles will be out there. (PS4 and Xbox720. WiiU is NOT next gen, its current gen update. PC rigs can be way beyond WiiU hardware.)

grimbldoo

grimbldoo said:

@Ren #131 and #132
I do hope you realize that they are putting more than just memory into the system, the thing can stream seamlessy to two wireless screens at once and that requires some bit of hardware. Don't forget that the Wii U Gamepad is estimated to be $150 by itself.
If I could save over $10,000 on a Porsche you can bet I would be willing to carry a 30 gal tank in my trunk.

@Samholy #153
PC rigs were better than the 360 and PS3 the day they came out, it's not a very solid argument.