Nintendo Still Working On Bringing Game Boy Advance Titles To 3DS Virtual Console, Says Natsume

Posted by Damien McFerran

Publisher excited about DS support on Wii U, more GBC on the way

Remember the 3DS Ambassador campaign? Of course you do — it rewarded early adopters by giving them a raft of awesome Game Boy Advance titles for free. At the time, many assumed that the exciting prospect of downloading and playing even more GBA games on the 3DS Virtual Console was just around the corner, but we're now in 2014 and there's still no sign of them.

However, veteran publisher Natsume has confirmed — via its community manager's site — that Nintendo is still working on bringing GBA games to the 3DS eShop. It has also been confirmed that Natsume itself has plans for more Game Boy Color games, and — in the wake of recent news — DS titles, too:

Nintendo does not put recent console games on the 3DS eShop, and sadly that means we cannot either. The same goes with GBA (outside of the ambassador games) — though they’re working on this and we look forward to the day it’s possible. ...We’re aware today that Nintendo has announced plans to launch DS games for the WiiU – it’s an exciting time, and we’ll be reviewing our DS catalogue for potential titles.

Harvest Moon GBC did quite well for us, and we have a solid library of GBC games to draw from for re-release. Currently, we are working with Nintendo to re-release some more of our classic GBC games. When we have dates for future eShop re-releases (and we WILL be releasing more eShop titles), we’ll announce them on our social media first! We’ll touch upon the challenges of releasing classic titles onto modern systems in a later question.

We're sure you'll all agree that Nintendo is sitting on a goldmine when it comes to Game Boy Advance software, and we'd certainly welcome a steady stream of classic titles from that platform. Which Natsume GBC, GBA and DS titles would you like to see? Let us know by posting a comment below.

[via ceecee-natsume.tumblr.com, gonintendo.com]

Volmun

Volmun said:

Id wind up buying Metroid ZeroMission again lol (alredy got fusion on the ambasidor promo)

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I'd love this. So many great GBA out there that are now hard/expensive to get your hands on. This would be a far bigger deal for me than DS games on Wii U.

Nomad

Nomad said:

I'd rather they work on bringing SNES games to the 3DS virtual console.

Chris720

Chris720 said:

They'd have to change the software so we can return to the Home Menu since that bugs me on the current versions.

But I'll be looking forward to this. Plenty of awesome GBA games I want to play.

Jese_1

Jese_1 said:

Like with the GBA/N64/Game Cube/DS virtual console on the Wii U, I won't get excited until (if) we get firm release dates. I'm a patient man, but I'm getting bored of all these amazing things being announced and then not having them actually be released.

KJ85

KJ85 said:

Personally, I think Natsume is being misinterpreted a little. We know that Nintendo plan to make GBA games available on Wii U, and they have been pretty clear that the GBA ambassador games will not become available to other 3DS owners.

Nowhere in this quote from Natsume does it say that the GBA games will come to 3DS, but I understad why it could be interpreted in that way.

Gunblade_Hero

Gunblade_Hero said:

The question is: Why did it take so friggin long for them to bring GBA titles to the eshop! Those games will sell like hotcakes on the 3DS.

Crimzonlogic

Crimzonlogic said:

I've been wanting to play Minish Cap again for a long time. It's hard to find, and I'm not buying on Ebay again after getting bootlegs! :(

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

@arronishere I already have Minish Cap on my 3DS (yay for the Ambassador program!)

Also I don't think GBA will come to the 3DS outside of the Ambassador program unless Nintendo says so (and they have never done so, so..)

chreddy

chreddy said:

Finally! I'm looking forward to Metroid Zero Mission, Metroid Fusion and the Super Mario Advance series.

Artwark

Artwark said:

GBA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT TOOK THEM SO LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?!?!????

bouncer0304

bouncer0304 said:

As someone who lost their ambassador status thanks to Nintendo's screw up (too long to explain here) i think Nintendo are just being stubourn. Not having GBA titles is plain daft, simple as that. I wish they'd just release them, even if we never got the ambassador games. The virtual console is laughable compared to Sony's. Three years on and only a fraction of Nintendo's wonderful past games on the 3ds- such a shame :-(

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Harvest Moon 2 and 3 for the GBC please. They're insta-buys for me.
Honestly though I think the VC will always be a disappointment. So long as they're releasing a maximum of 1 game each week on each platform, and its only an NES game (which already is available on the Wii VC) - the service isn't going anywhere.

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

Yes, Nintendo. Bringing GBA to the 3DS Virtual Console was a no-brainer since day one. Get on it.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

Can it really take this long to sort out a reasonable emulator that plays at least a few of the hundreds of ROMs they must have on file?

I can see why they drip feed us VC games but they're eventually going to alienate the remaining fan-base who would have spent loads on VC games by now..

andreoni79

andreoni79 said:

... if I could only sell my Ambassador games! :) I already had 8 of them on cartridge! Finally I can buy those I missed!

LostHeaven

LostHeaven said:

My 3DS's existence would be complete with a GBA VC.
And happy to know the GBC version of Harvest Moon did well for them. I was delighted when they released it, still playing it on my 3DS!

shaneoh

shaneoh said:

"At the time, many assumed that the exciting prospect of downloading and playing even more GBA games on the 3DS Virtual Console was just around the corner"

No because it was stated that there were no future plans to bring them to the eShop

jord91

jord91 said:

Should of happened years ago,the virtual console on both current nintendo platforms is a joke,the funny thing is they pale in comparison to the wiis virtual console service back when it was at this point several years ago . Which is uttetly inexcusable!

Yamitora1

Yamitora1 said:

Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald; Pokemon Diamond, Pearl and Platinum; Pokemon Black, White Black2 and White2 as well.

ROBLOGNICK

ROBLOGNICK said:

Ugh, Nintendo should be bringing GBA games to Wii U AND 3DS Virtual Console because they should be the same system!

ikki5

ikki5 said:

well... they already have some GBA titles available for those "biggest fans" Why not start with releasing those to the public, I'd say those 3DS ambassadors have had their compensation. And if they don't.... they know that GBA games can come so why don't they start doing it.

WiiULoveSquid

WiiULoveSquid said:

I'll believe it when I see it in the eShop until then who knows if yet another year will pass with no word. Just look at SMB3 for NA and that one was on the coming soon list lol

DarkCojiro

DarkCojiro said:

Where in the quote does it say GBA games are coming to 3DS? It mentions them coming but not which console. Nintendo themselves confirmed GBA games were coming to Wii U in a Nintendo Direct last summer and have mentioned they have "no plans" to release them for the 3DS so I would take this with a grain of salt while we wait for more info.

Azooooz

Azooooz said:

It saddens me that most users wanted something for a healthy console rather than for the dying one (i.e. 3DS and Wii U)

ToniK

ToniK said:

I don't really know why I sold my GBA. The display was horrible but I kinda miss it :( I also had the opportunity to play the games I missed on DS but sold that as well. Well, gotta get with the times I guess :D

JonathanDunn

JonathanDunn said:

Yeah, it's all about Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age! :)
Metroid Zero Mission would be great too, and A Link to the Past (if they're not gonna do SNES ports down the line that is!).

JosieC84

JosieC84 said:

But..but...but what about the Wii U? Surely it can take GBA games as well since they are doing it with the DS.

Anyway it's lovely to hear they're trying to add GBA games on the 3DS.

PS. Hi! I've just joined. Nice to meet you all!

Daruncic

Daruncic said:

"No, Nintendo does not put recent console games on the 3DS eShop, and sadly that means we cannot either. The same goes with GBA (outside of the ambassador games) — though they’re working on this and we look forward to the day it’s possible. But until that day comes, we aren’t actively working on porting any specific GBA or GameCube games."

Sounds like the opposite. No plans, aren't working on, etc.

AuburnGamer

AuburnGamer said:

Can't remember if this is a Natsume game or not, but I have always wanted to play Survival Kids for the GBC and it is too expensive to find a cart.

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

I am happy to have so many GBA games from the Ambassador program on my 3DS... but I do want this to come to EShop asap mainly for Final Fantasy Tactics Advance! Oh, and Advance Wars!

mhoving

mhoving said:

There are so many great games on the GBA and most of them can be hard to find, or are immensely expensive nowadays. Releasing them on the VC would definitely make the 3DS more popular.

I only cared for Medabots AX, but since multiplayer is unlikely I don't think I will get it again. Maybe I would go for the best harvest moon game they have for the GBA, but even then, I am not truly interested in that series.

I find games from other companies much more interesting, like the three castlevania games, the golden sun titles (which to me are still among the greatest RPG's ever made), sonic battle, advance wars, tactics ogre, the mega man battle network series and final fantasy tactics are titles which I would love the see on the 3DS VC.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

From Natsume I'd like to play Survival Kids.

GBA games on my 3DS? Metroid Zero Mission, Golden Sun, Golden Sun 2, Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Advance Wars 2, Castlevania: Circle of the Moon, Mega Man Zero, Boktai...

Stu13

Stu13 said:

I just played through Super Metroid for the first time in years and it's really got me itching to play Zero Mission and Fusion. But I'm just going to end up buying a second hand GBA because I'm not delusional enough to think that these will hit the 3DS anytime soon, if ever. I would love to give that money to Nintendo instead, but it ain't happening.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@TheTreePerson Not really. As long as they use double pixels if the screen end ups bigger overall and is nicer then it is the best way to play them. (It isn't the same as old home console games that need to be run on a CRT to look right). I am not interested in the inferior ports of SNES games though.

Nintendude789

Nintendude789 said:

Thank God! I was doubting about it. Hopefully they bring Super Monkey Ball Jr., but it was published by THQ, so Sega will have a hard time bringing the game, maybe they can't bring it all. Oh well.

Beetlejuice

Beetlejuice said:

If some kid in a basement with no funds can create emulators that run Nintendo software across all sorts of platforms, how come Nintendo's own employees seem to have so much trouble getting this stuff to work?

allav866

allav866 said:

I have a whole folder of Zelda titles, but it's missing Minish Cap because I waited a week from when I was able to get a 3DS to get it for its reduced, non-ambassador price. Thinking on it, I wonder if Nintendo will also add Zelda: Four Swords/Link to the Past. I just want LttP on the go.

brewsky

brewsky said:

Well, it doesn't explicitly say GBA games to the 3DS, but we've known that GBA games were coming to the Wii U for quite a while.

I truly think that the ambassador games should be released on the eShop. Ambassadors have had exclusive rights to these games for more than two years now. Just getting these games for free was a $100 value (assuming GBA will sell for $10 each). Combined with the $50 value of the NES games and exclusive rights up to this point, it more than makes up for a $70 price drop.

Ambassadors, feel free to disagree.

TheAdza

TheAdza said:

It shouldn't be taking this long. Why are we constantly getting the same old old old old NES games for 3DS and Wii U instead of some more different and unique GBA and DS games? It's stupid that it's taking so long.

Noboty

Noboty said:

"Nintendo does not put recent console games on the 3DS eShop, and sadly that means we cannot either. The same goes with GBA"

This says to me that they DON'T plan on adding GBA games to the 3DS eshop (still).

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Two words (well, a word and a number): Mother 3.

I think this is one of the few games that would hype me beyond sane levels about a Virtual Console release. The others are the impossible ones, like the original DKC series or Banjo-Kazooie.

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

I would love to have the GBA Tales of Phantasia on my 3DS. Minish Cap and Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/FireRed/LeafGreen would be amazing, too. Not to mention Harvest Moon More Friends of Mineral Town..... the list could go on and on.

AmazonianBeauty

AmazonianBeauty said:

I would love to see just Super Metroid on the 3DS VC, but even if that never happens, I've always got my SNES and can still play it anytime i wanted :)

TonyBoySP

TonyBoySP said:

Nintendo: Please bring us Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3 with ALL the e-reader extra levels as unlockables or something like that...

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Warioware : Twisted I want more than anything else. (Probably more than a new 3DS entry).

Goginho

Goginho said:

Well, basically all the Mario, Zelda, DK, Wario games there are. I need the Super Mario Advance series in my collection/library, as well as Wario Land 4 to complete my handheld Wario collection and any of the Zelda games there are. I can think of Minish Cap at the moment, that I need in my portable library. We're also missing the true DK platformers on the VC. Would be great to get those on there. Oh, and Mario Kart: Super Circuit (although it counts as a Mario game).

ShadowFox254

ShadowFox254 said:

Fire Emblem: Fuuin Tsurugi
SMT 1-2
FFVI Advance
F-Zero GP Legend & Climax
Metroid: Zero Mission
Advance Wars
Dragon Ball Z: The Legacy of Goku series
Astro Boy: Omega Factor
Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 1 & 2
Golden Sun
Mario Tennis: Power Tour

takes out a blink check and a pen

LDXD

LDXD said:

Castlevania what is it aria of sorrow and circle of the moon and metroid zero mission would all be insta buys for me

DinoFett

DinoFett said:

I have a lot of GBA physical media but that won't keep me from rebuying on VC for a more uniform mobile experience with a lot of downloadables on 3ds.

StephenYap3

StephenYap3 said:

Good. It's nice to have games like Link's Awakening DX, Wario Land 2, some Indies, and some 3DSWare, but the GBA titles are highly needed for the 3DS.

I'm thinking Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green, Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow, and...that's all I have.

TheMasterMind

TheMasterMind said:

Sonic Advance Series
Super Mario Advance Series
Pokemon Ru/Sa/Em/FR/LG
Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past
Mega Man & Bass
Metroid Zero Mission

Please Nintendo, bring The Game Boy Advance Games to The 3DS Virtual Console.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Wait, so this is for 3DS VC? I thought Nintendo said they would come to Wii U VC. If Natsume is correct, Nintendo would have changed its mind and gone with 3DS, which quite frankly is better suited for GBA games thanks to the GBA Ambassador program that I've been enjoying immensely since I received it two years ago. I do feel bad for those who missed out.

One game that I think should be seriously considered is WarioWare: Twisted. That game never released in Europe; which I find to be a shame because I think it's the best WarioWare in the series. It would be perfect for the 3DS gyroscope.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@GN004Nadleeh Security I think. Looks like the current ones run on the GBA part of the DS that is part of the 3DS. (That is why you cannot return to the home menu or use save states). It uses real cartridge (The last system to do so). 3DS and DS is more like an sdcard the way it works. Fully emulating is a different thing. (And doing it without dropping the security level is more than likely even harder).

KillerGBH

KillerGBH said:

sound good 3ds need gba games like golden sun ( my favorite rpg on gba ) and WII U need 64/gamecube VC too ^^

mamp

mamp said:

At the rate Nintendo keeps releasing their games we'll be lucky if we even get GBA VC service.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

@mamp: You hit the nail on the head with that. ESPECIALLY when it comes to North America.

Personally, I'd like to see the Sonic Advance trilogy, Sonic Battle, Sonic Rush, Sonic Rush Adventure, Sonic Chronicles, New Super Mario Bros., Mario Kart DS, and Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga hit the Virtual Console on Wii U. Some of those games I missed out on, while the others would be pretty cool to play on the big screen.

nintykid

nintykid said:

Wait, I thought GBA games were coming to Wii U, now they announce DS for Wii U and GBA for 3DS?! Looks like their a bit lost/disorganized...

Prime

Prime said:

@unrandomsam I disagree. If you play, say Mario Kart DS on the DS or 3DS, you can have all the glitches and whatnot, also a game is MENT to be played on its console, not the VC...

Rensch

Rensch said:

I already have many of the games I really wanted for GBA. Still a few I am looking for, though. Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland (excellent remake of the already available Kirby's Adventure) Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, Wario Land 4 just to name a few.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

The GBA still has my favorite portable library.

Bring on Double Dragon Advance, Mega Man Zero series, Klonoa, Sonic Advance, and Ninja Five-O!

Doge

Doge said:

Hey, we can all agree that we need mario and luigi superstar saga...

BornToSmash

BornToSmash said:

Concerning Natsume, Kirby Squeak Squad for DS is the best that comes to mind.

Games I'd like in general? Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, LoZ: Phantom Hourglass + Spirit Tracks, Pokemon Conquest, and Final Fantasy Tactics A2. The DS remakes of Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 4 would be welcome too.

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

Please tell me this is true. When Nintendo announced GBA games on Wii U I wanted to tear my hair out.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

"and we'd certainly welcome a steady stream of classic titles from that platform."

Only one problem...it probably wouldn't be a steady stream of classics if the current state of the VC is anything to go by. I'm guessing they'd start out with good titles, but then there'd be a drought later on.

But I'd at least hope that they would keep a steady flow of good games coming. We'll see...

@SparkOfSpirit If you want the Zero series you could get the Mega Man Zero DS collection (if you have a DS). It's probably cheaper than getting each one separately, and you get them all on one card.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@ikki5

I'm ok with that. As a qualifying ambassador myself, I was thrilled to receive those 20 VC games from Nintendo. But I'm not greedy, and I have no qualms with Nintendo releasing those games to sell on the eShop. I don't see why anyone SHOULD have a problem with that, unless they're just being selfish. I mean, we still got the games for free, so yeah.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

All I want is the original Donkey Kong Country games to release on the eShop. Preferably Wii U, but I'll take 3DS. Heck, I'll take em BOTH. I'm afraid Nintendo's going to do what I think they're going to do though, and release the GBA version of the DKC trilogy. While I am interested in those to a lesser extent, I would only accept them as a substitute for the SNES versions if we got the SNES versions on Wii U VC. Then I'd be ok with the GBA versions on 3DS I suppose...

FilmerNgameR

FilmerNgameR said:

Okay Nintendo now bribe SEGA to release Sonic Advance 1-3 and Sonic Battle on VC I never got to play those games except Sonic Advance 3. :O

FilmerNgameR

FilmerNgameR said:

Wow Sonic was a big hit on GBA and DS. It would be great if SEGA continues that legacy on the 3DS.

Heiki

Heiki said:

I never really got into video games until last year, so there are obviously tons of games I have missed from previous generations. Wouldn't hurt to have more VC titles (including GBA games of course) on both Wii U and 3DS but Nintendo doesn't seem to want my money.

slidecage

slidecage said:

i say we get this news by summer fall

Nintendo to give up on handheld market and is going into tablets and will put most of its time into the WII U. would suck if that happened but nintendo just dont see to care about its 3ds system

bringing out the 2DS system was a last tempt to save their handheld side

Caryslan

Caryslan said:

@slidecage Last chance to save their handheld side? Their handheld side is doing very well, despite the mobile market being a threat. The 3DS has sold 45 million units, is the top selling system in Japan and other regions, and is nothing but pure profit for Nintendo at this point. What is there to save? Its beating the Vita, and 45 million sold in 3 years is an impressive number, especially when you consider everyone was saying the 3DS would not be successful thanks to mobile gaming.

Even if it is selling below the DS' level at a comparable timeframe, its still their most profitable system right now!

And how do they not care about the 3DS?

Last year saw the 3DS get tons of excellent games, and this year looks just as good. Killing off the 3DS family would be sucide at this point. I would see them killing off the Wii U before they did anything to mess with the 3DS family.

Even if the Wii U flops, the 3DS is still a decent enough success for Nintendo. Why would they kill off such a successful system? They could survive on their handheld business alone at this point.

AntiGuy

AntiGuy said:

Metrod Zero Mission, Mario & Luigi Super Star Saga, Super Mario World on the GO!!! man... :')

Tops

Tops said:

I've got my good old Ambassador games and would still love to see GBA games on the 3DS. Nintendo needs to get on this asap

R_Champ

R_Champ said:

@JaxonH

Wasn't there some sort of conflict with Rare? I thought that's why the DKC Trilogy got pulled off of Wii Virtual Console (and why Banjo Kazooie went to 360 Marketplace). I'd love to see them on WiiU/3DS but that may sadly not happen...ever

tanookisuit

tanookisuit said:

I could see this DS support be a gateway drug for the GBA being a public thing. I'm curious whenever it does potentially happen if they honor their ambassador agreement and keep those 10 exclusive to those who ate the $80 loss. There's so many other games from their own library that would draw some pretty heavy purchasing power if they priced the titles right.

Even against the lame dollar app and IAP junk that goes on, a $5-10 range game brought back from a dead era would be entirely acceptable as you're getting a lot there without ads and harassment.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@R_Champ

No. Those games are Nintendo owned, as are all the characters. Just because RARE developed it, doesn't mean they own it. Donkey Kong is owned by Nintendo, so the game stays in Nintendo ownership. RARE even tweeted that they don't know why Nintendo removed the games from WiiShop, and that they hold no rights whatsoever, and that if the games aren't available, it's on Nintendo's end, not theirs.

audiobrainiac

audiobrainiac said:

I'll need all the metroid games, sonic games, mario games, and zelda games on my 3DS ASAP. Oh and all the kirby games too. Get right on that Nintendo.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

@audiobrainiac And the F-Zero games. ;) Boy I'm glad I'm an ambassador. F-Zero Maximum Velocity is one of my favorite games. I wouldn't mind seeing GP Legend and Climax.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

Still want to see on 3ds virtual console:

Rugrats - Totally Angelica - GBC
Rugrats - Time Traveler's - GBC
Rugrats - In Paris - GBC

As for natsume titles I don't remember playing any natsume titles for GB, GBC, or GBA or if the games were I just didn't pay to close attention to name brands at the time most my gb, gbc, gba games are made by:

THQ
Disney Interactive
Nintendo
Warner Bros

I forget the other brands... sorry...

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Caryslan It is doing very well in Japan and I think France ? Everywhere else is a disappointment (That is exactly what Nintendo themselves said). Elsewhere hardly any units of software are getting sold (I think because of the parasitical nature of the used market).

Gashole

Gashole said:

"Nintendo does not put recent console games on the 3DS eShop, and sadly that means we cannot either."
This is yet another reason why Nintendo is losing so much money.
And for the first time in their 30-plus-year video gaming history, they are losing their fans, too.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

If anyone cares, they did end up allowing your 3DS to go into sleep mode, by closing it, while playing GBA games. It used to be a manual thing you had to do(press L + R + select).

So they have improved the ambassador GBA games. They'll probably allow multiplay, eventually, too. One step at a time.

Gorlokk

Gorlokk said:

3DS?! What happened to GBA games on Wii U? I was really liking the idea of playing GBA games on the Gamepad alone, or even on the big screen.

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

How about giving us the option to fit the virtual console games on the 3ds screen in full?! I bought my first VC game yesterday, and was shocked at the borders around the game screen. The screen is small enough as it is! I have this option on my Vita, why not 3ds?
Until you sort this out, you can stick your virtual console Nintendo.
(Unless of course theres already a way to do this, i will take this all back!)

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

I'd like to see Metroid Zero Mission, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga, Drilldozer and Mega Man & Bass on the 3DS virtual console, along with the ambassador games, of course.

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

@TheTreePerson GBA, DS, and 3DS actually have the same architecture, just at different power levels. The GBA games released to Ambassadors run in their native code, meaning its not emulation like the other VC games.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@IceClimbers No reason the 3DS couldn't emulate the N64. Mips and ARM are similar enough. Two processors so it can be split emulating the DSP and the MIPS processor. The video hardware is much more powerful on the 3DS. The best people at doing such things can do it with a 5% or 10% performance hit. (Like those who worked for Transistive).

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@IceClimbers Similar to the way that old 26 bit addressing ARM code for RiscOS can be run on 32 bit modern RiscOS stuff the same sort of thing could be done with the benefits of saves states and such. The hard part is doing it without dropping the security level. (The GBA uses proper ROM not the type of fake sdcard like cartridge the DS and 3DS uses).

luckybreak

luckybreak said:

i had the ambassador program, so i kinda already have the gba games on my 3DS i want: minish cap, wario ware, and fire emblem. would be nice to see some others though.

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Metroid Fusion, Golden Sun, maybe? I still have a bunch of GBA games, so I'm unsure how many I'd really need on 3DS VC.

Joygame51

Joygame51 said:

Would buy Minish Cap even if it were 12 bucks on eshop...oops lets make that 9.99 LOL !

8bitforever

8bitforever said:

@Caryslan carefull, the Vita is now keeping a steady second place and will likely beat the 3DS when PS4 comes out in Feburary. Nintendo has done well with the 3DS but it truly is inferior to the Vita, and with Sony you don't have to pay for games twice that can run on both systems. I think consumers are starting to get tired of the VC not having good titles. There are at least 300 titles for Vita across PS1, Indie, PSP. And Sony has great sales often along with Playstation Plus which kills Nintendo Club! Times are changing and the big N can either quickly catch up or die a slow death. I finally traded my 3DS in because I was tired of waiting for the games. It will not happen, they announced GBA a year ago and still nothing. I will always Nintendo but Iwata will be remembered as the CEO who killed them.

EdwardCORE

EdwardCORE said:

I can't see any benefit from putting DS on the Wii U, really, Nintendo is making a tremendous effort to make things worse for themselves. What they have to focus is to bring Advance games to 3DS and GameCube games to Wii U, plus some other consoles, like the Dreamcast. We can play DS games on the 3DS, it's not like we can't play them now. The Advance and the GameCube are systems that deserve having a second run now. I long to play Mario Sunshine, Mario kart double dash, F-Zero GX, Luigi's Mansion in HD, as well for all those amazing Advance games, such as Metroid Fusion and Minish Cap. Nintendo is constantly doing the wrong thing, and when it has a good idea, it takes too long to materialize. They have to take extreme measures, and take them now.

SyFyTy

SyFyTy said:

Although I have the ambassador games, I also have the original working game carts (and all official original guides for BOTH Advance Wars titles, BOTH Fire Emblem Titles and BOTH Golden Sun titles, each for GBA, for use on my GB Micro, though I'd like em on my 3ds too. those 6 are my greatest gaming pride and joy. By putting the Advance wars GBA cart in the DS lite while playing Advan. Wars Dual strike you were/are able to unlock additional (though minimal) content within the DS AWDS game. Loved it! still got it all. I would love to see Mother3 EarthBound (GBA) come to VC instead of just on the Wii U VC. Sadly no GBA ever will make it to the 3ds, the titles misleading.

R_Champ

R_Champ said:

@JaxonH

Oh, I guess it was like Earthbound where a lot of false info was floating around...I'm way too gullible. Here's hoping we see the DKC Trilogy on Wii U and/or 3DS soon.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@8bitforever

Ok, yeah the Vita's nice. I own one. But traded your 3DS for no games? It's kind of the other way around. I mean, don't get me wrong, I like all my consoles, but I play my Vita like twice a year. 3DS, like twice a week. It's got all the games. Yes, Sony's service is top-notch, and their past catalog is expansive. But, 3DS eShop has quite a few good ones too. And 3DS has things Vita doesn't, like backward compatibility, so it's not like Nintendo's hardware is all lacking and behind. And no one buys a console or handheld for eShop or PSN games anyways.

Nintendo isn't going to "die a slow death". They could never "catch up with the times", as you put it, and they would still remain as a gaming staple for the simple reason that they make some of the funnest and well-known games in the industry. Sure, sales might take a hit. Sure, they might concede some marketshare, but Nintendo could fly blind and they'd still never die. Make no mistake. They're too big and too good at what they do. Don't mistake poor Wii U sales and VC selection as meaning their downfall. One need only look at Sony's losses for the last decade, along with their own "Wii U", and they're not going anywhere. Don't be so dramatic. Nobody's going anywhere.

8bitforever

8bitforever said:

@JaxonH I don't get why people say Vita has no games. I have a nice catalog that keeps me playing just fine. 3DS has more games but a lot more crap too. I don't play Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, or Pokemon so the rest of my choices are slim. I have The Walking Dead, Ninja Gaiden 1&2, Dead or Alive 5 Plus, Injustice, The Wolf Among Us, Capcom vs Marvel 3 Ultimate, and the list goes on. Most of these can't even be played on a Nintendo system. The 3DS is an okay system for kids, but most games don't appeal to me. I beat the new Zelda game in three days! What a waste! As an adult and long time gamer, I need challenge and I want my handheld to at least be able to play HD games. After the OLED 720p screen on the Vita, the 3DS looks terrible. I have just grown up and away from Nintendo does these days. I have played enough Mario and need a break. I honesty don't see how they can keep it going. My kids beat Mario 3D World because I was tired of it. Nintendo just can't ride on 1st party alone forever. Sure, they can go a little longer but unless they start releasing hardware that competes, and get their account system fixed, then I won't own another Nintendo product.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@8bitforever

Then why are you on this site if Nintendo's just for kids?

3DS IS a great handheld for kids. But it's also a great handheld for anyone who loves fun games, no matter how old you are. I'm 30, and I have more fun on 3DS than all my other consoles (except Wii U). So you beat Zelda in 3 days. You can beat most games in 3 days. It's 20 hours. You can beat Assassin's Creed Liberation in 3 days, or Uncharted Golden Abyss in 3 days. I just beat Tomb Raider on PS4 in 15 hours. And those games aren't even in the same league as Link Between Worlds. In fact, I don't think any Vita games are. That's the thing. Vita's got plenty of games, but they're all mediocre games, good at best. Doesn't mean I don't like my Vita, cause I do (and I'll finally be enjoying a great game with FFX next month), but up til now, it's been shaky.

I mean, you say it's for kids but you won't play the best "not-for-kids" games on the console: Fire Emblem Awakening? Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate? Resident Evil Revelations? Tales of the Abyss? Bravely Default? Castlevania Mirror of Fate? MGS3 Snake Eater? Shin Megami Tensei 4? And games don't have to be on an HD screen to be fun. 3DS games look amazing, especially in 3D> yes, Vita looks better. But that doesn't do much to make the game fun. I could play 8-bit pong and have fun. Graphics are great, but they're not everything. Nobody said they couldn't look at PS2 games anymore after seeing Xbox and Gamecube. Not at all. Because the existence of something more powerful doesn't negate how much fun something is. Furthermore, most 1st party Nintendo games look almost just as good as Vita games due to the artstyle working in their favor.

I don't care how old you are- games like DKC Returns 3D, Mario & Luigi Dream Team, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, Kid Icarus Uprising, Mario Kart 7, Star Fox64, and Mario 3D Land are great games. In fact, I think the OLDER you are, the more you appreciate games like this. In a world where we're suffocated by the "real" and the "gritty", it's nice to have a fantastical release. Video games are games. They're imaginary fun. It's the essence of staying a kid at heart. I'm an adult who plays games because it makes me feel like a kid, not a kid wanting to play games to feel like an adult.

In the end, graphics and "for kids" and all that is meaningless. What it boils down to is "how fun is the interactive game?". That's what matters. It could be a violent shooter with fatalities, or a whimsical platformer with iconic mascots. Either way, there's fun to be had. I'd play a game about kitty cats and lollipops if it was fun enough. But there's no such thing as "out-growing" a fun game. Now Animal Crossing- that is, of course, specifically tailored to younger audiences through it's ease and approach. Games like Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance and Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D are not specifically tailored to younger audiences. They're designed for all audiences.

I don't hate Sony, or the Vita, and obviously I do play it from time to time. And there's nothing wrong with you having a preference. But you just threw me off when you said you "outgrew" Nintendo. There is no such thing. They have a certain flavor to their games, and while yes, some games ARE tailored to younger audiences, most of their core franchises are not. You don't want to play Mario? Well, I love Mario. Some of the greatest, funnest games ever conceived. But to each their own. There's still dozens of games that are not Mario games on 3DS. And Fire Emblem Awakening was the best game to release in 2013. You really should check that one out.

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

Create an apple-like system while you're at it and release GBA and DS games around the same time: profit.
I love playing GBA games on my 3DS XL and I need more of them asap. I hope Nintendo makes my wish come true....

Just imagine playing GB/GBC/GBA/DS/N64/SNES/NES on 3DS and continuing those saves on Wii U. I'm sure people will buy more VC games when they are available on all their Nintendo devices. I'm sincerely depressed/sad we have to buy the same games on different systems.
Oh and asking 1-1,50 for a Wii U upgrade wouldn't be that bad if they didn't remove it from your Wii menu...

Nintendo wants to reward people like me who buy 100's euros worth of games and hardware every year? Give us what we deserve in this day and age. They are right when they say they lose a big chunk of their audience every hardware transition, people don't like having to buy games again and again for every new system released.
I want to buy more digital retail releases but not being able to switch between my XL's is absurd.

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

@Jese_1
This is the reason Nintendo has so many issues with piracy. If they released more than a few N64 games on Wii and actually RELEASED some GBA games on 3DS, maybe I wouldn't have had to hack my systems to play them.

Demyx215

Demyx215 said:

Please, for the love of all that is holy, release ALL of the Pokémon games on the 3ds shop. Also, Fire Emblem Rekka No Ken and Fire Emblem Sacred Stones should be released for the shop too.

Nintendo should also get back with Intelligent Systems and start Re-releasing a lot of the Fire Emblem games like Thracia and Binding Blade for U.S. Consumers.....

Fammy

Fammy said:

I would love to see Harvest Moon 2 and 3 in the eshop's Virtual console section. Maybe a few gba games if it's possible?

ToonLink795

ToonLink795 said:

Can't not wait for the GBA games to arive on the Wii U here soon. Also I was One of the lucky ones to get free GBA games on my 3DS most of them which I never owned before. Just to be fair I may even rebuy a few of the GBA games I got for free if they ever come to the Wii U.