New "Luigi Code" To Provide a Fresh Take on Virtual Console Classics

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Time to go green

Update: 2nd April - OK maybe this article is telling a few porky pies!

Original Article:

As the "Year of Luigi" gets into full swing, it appears that the younger member of the Mario Bros. is set to appear in a number of additional titles in the coming months, giving them his own twist in the process.

We understand that there are plans to introduce a "Luigi Code" to various Virtual Console releases this year, that'll add Luigi into the main game through colour palette swaps and even re-skins of characters. Perhaps inspired by recent homemade mods by parents swapping the genders of heroes, for example, select retro releases on the 3DS and Wii U Virtual consoles will have subtle tweaks, with each game having its own unique code to enter. Rather like the famous Konami code, there'll be inputs to match titles for various effects; it's also possible that updates will be sent out to existing Virtual Console releases that'll add further Luigi codes.

The possibility of a green Samus suit in Super Metroid on the Wii U Virtual Console, or perhaps a switch to make Dr. Mario transform into Dr. Luigi on the 3DS platform are just some options, with themes likely to range from adding a green hue or possibly making Luigi a playable character in a title such as Balloon Fight.

With the Year of Luigi up to now being limited to just a few game releases, it seems that the promotion is about to get more creative. What Luigi mods and re-skins would you like to see using an all-new code? Let us know in the comments below.

DreamyViridi

DreamyViridi said:

That does sound interesting. There are tons of possib....
Wait a minute... what's the source on this? Not foolin' me! ;)

jilbgm

jilbgm said:

Nintendo is really serious about this year of Luigi, haha, good stuff coming!!

Kolma

Kolma said:

Tread lightly on april first...
That said, I remember rumors of Wii's Virtual Console having enhanced stuff like this before the Wii came out.
If this were to actually happen that would be AMAZING

moroboshi

moroboshi said:

April the 1st, when the internet goes from the most useful thing in the world, to the most useless.

Big_A2

Big_A2 said:

NintendoLife always has the lamest April Fools jokes.

And that's why I love them.

timp29

timp29 said:

Lol it would be a great idea though. Wish nintendo actually did this.

hcfwesker

hcfwesker said:

If only Comments were disabled for this article, it could have been more effective ... I was convinced til I saw the first comment. In admitting that, I really didn't care for the announcement as I read it lol

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

Was this the reason the site was down? :P

But you guys almost got me... Then I realized again that it's April 1st over there, and the mainland States. Well played Thomas... Well played.

But if something like this did happen, it would be great!

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

I want to see Ridley with Luigi's mustache, Captain Falcon with Luigi's hat, and Kirby basically Luigi's nose only enlarged and with appendages. Yes.

Also, since it's April 1, I'll just say I LOVE Metroid: Other M!

Kirk

Kirk said:

I'd believe this one if it weren't for April Fools.

Part me still thinks it might be real.

:o

tripunktoj

tripunktoj said:

Most likely April's fool joke (I'd fell if it weren't for the comments), but it may be true, I mean its not nearly as crazy and impossible as the gamefaqs one, or as dumb and redundant as the one here last year (or the one before that) about 3DS. Its actually a nice, good idea for us and very doable, cheap and profitable for Nintendo (It would tackle my "If its the same game with no extras I'd rather track the actual cart" stance on VC, in the same way that Miiverse, GamePad and 30c prices did on WiiU)

tripunktoj

tripunktoj said:

@FOURSIDE_BOY Yea, but it'd be awesome, and I prefer to think its not until I'm explicitly told from NL its a joke :D. The April's joke I meant was something about contact lens for 3DS, but I don't remember the details and year clearly.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

Best April Fools joke via Internet has to be the Halo movie. If you haven't seen it, Youtube it - unless the Youtube one wasn't a joke, then you should be able to find it elsewhere

Sun

Sun said:

Ha ha... This is a cool twist. I love Luigi BEFORE this somehow stupid marketing year of Luigi.

Hunter-D

Hunter-D said:

I think this is a lovely April Fools, you could actually catch someone off (if they weren't paying attention) with this.

Also it's Luigi!

Sun

Sun said:

@Hunter-D Oh yeah I forgot the golden rule of not reading any news in April the 1st. It's a waste of time.

WolfyWardark

WolfyWardark said:

Apparently, you just have to press the "L" button 1,983 times on any Virtual Console title screen! :O

KamenRiderMelon

KamenRiderMelon said:

I actually had to look at the time this was posted to make sure this was from today. Good job being believable if not particularly funny.

Yoshi3DS

Yoshi3DS said:

hope they do a ‘Year of Yoshi’ someday...
although a ‘Year of Bowser’ sounds interesting

Grodus

Grodus said:

Good one! However, I would like to see a Dr. Luigi.

EDIT: Metroid: Other L, anyone?

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

And the April Fool's jokes/news start rolling in.

Well it's about as accurate as usual from some websites, lol.

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

I came to Nintendo Life thinking "I wonder what their April Fool's article will be this year". As soon as I saw the title, I thought "Bingo! We've struck green oil!" Nice try, guys, but you have to do better than that to fool THIS fool! ;)

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Nice try. I could tell it was a joke because the article didn't post a source of where it got this "information" and I was just fooled a minute ago, so I'm on alert.

Buob

Buob said:

The assets and coding in order to make this possible just don't exist. There is no way one could just add a character into thousands of ROM images and then say "Use the Konami Code to get Luigi in your game. Cool, huh?!" It's simply impossible. That said, you kinda had me for a minute before I realized the date and had thought the whole thing through.

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

I had a feeling something was up when I saw that this is the only Nintendo news site covering this info.

Tornado

Tornado said:

What's sad about this April Fool's joke is that this is exactly the kind of thing that would generate the kind of excitement for Nintendo we haven't seen in awhile. And it probably wouldn't even be all that difficult for Nintendo to do.

ueI

ueI said:

After the joke about DSi virtual console, I'm basically never falling for anything Nintendo Life does.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

Well, I will say this was a pretty good prank. If it's not, then I would like to see Luigi playable in Kid Icarus.

Musterd

Musterd said:

Aww, I wanted Super Luigi Land 2! And maybe even Waluigi Land: Super Luigi Land 3, featuring an all new ending where Luigi comes and takes back the golden statue of Daisy!

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

Nintendo is willing to pay to bring Fez and Super Meat Boy to the Eshop but only if they can replace the main character with Luigi.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

Come on, Nintendo doesn't approve of moding their games, and this wasn't mentioned in the Year of Luigi Nintendo Direct

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

Forgetting the date, almost had me there, haha. At least this would be somewhat believable because it would fit in with the theme and wouldn't be too big a trouble. :P

berenlazarus

berenlazarus said:

Luigi FINALLY GETS HIS DUE IN "SUPER MARIO 64"!!!!!!!!!!!!! "Luigi is Real 2041" in the castle courtyard should read "Luigi is Real 2013"!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

I really wish this was true. Luigi is one of my all time favorite game characters. I'd love to play as him in super metroid, super mario rpg or ocarina of time!

Arianabtd

Arianabtd said:

Oh my Lordy.
I have seriously seen so many April Fools things already, and I some how thought this was real.
My brain is becoming mush because of April Fools x3.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

Why not have a Jack Tretton code where you can play as a god?! >:[

AVahne

AVahne said:

I keep forgetting about April Fools' Day... I feel like smacking someone with a fish now.

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

Umm, nice try? That seems like a lot of work and I doubt it, the data doesn't help you either and would this be the reason for a site crash?

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

If I put the Luigi code in a game that already has Luigi in it do I get to play as Waluigi?

McGruber

McGruber said:

I really like this idea. If it's an April fools joke, the joke is on Nintendo, not gamers...

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I completely expected this to be an April Fool's Day joke when I read the title and I was right!

moo99

moo99 said:

This is like the thinkgeek april fools where you're depressed that it's a joke, instead of relieved

zipmonStaff

zipmon said:

Definitely saw this headline right when I woke up this morning and bought it 100%! Would love to see Nintendo make good on this :D

gloom

gloom said:

I feel like the people most affected by April fools day are gamers.....

Captain_Gonru

Captain_Gonru said:

Ugh. I really hate this nonsense. Back in school, I had a principal that would make anyone caught pulling a prank today write a paper on the origin of the "holiday". It stopped this crap very quickly.

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

Feel free to direct him to our contact form.

Emaan

Emaan said:

I wish this was real. Oh April Fools, how you pull at my heart strings. :O

Morpheel

Morpheel said:

Maybe a loving dad could do these hacks for their second son?

I mean, having to play as the older brother feels wrong to younger brothers like me.

RudysaurusRex

RudysaurusRex said:

No sources is a first for NL... I call bullpoop.
And as far as gaming April Fools, anyone remember The Legend of Zelda movie from IGN?

Ras

Ras said:

I saw this demonstrated. Luigi's head was on Mai Shiranui's body. S/he was still sexy.

Azaris

Azaris said:

@MadAdam81 disagree tonami comeback last year was EPIC.
anyway nice joke here,though it could be better.
my advice:post april first jokes on a day that's not april first and make a fake source link.

Ras

Ras said:

@LazyGamer - they have to walk a line between having fun and staying reputable. They have to make it pretty obvious and stick to April 1, or people would have to question everything they posted.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

If you think about the upcomming DLC for NSMBU, its partly true :P It DOES geht the Luigi switch :D
But to be honest, it would be really cool if this would be possible and if theyd went tthis far with the year of luigi.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Not sure which was worse: the obvious April Fools or the fact that so many people actually fell for this. :|

IAmSpike

IAmSpike said:

I fell for this, then realized what day it was.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

An April Fool's prank. With Luigi.

As a Luigi fan myself, I have to say, this is downright cruel.

Grodus

Grodus said:

@DarkKirby You know how in NSMBU if you give the 2nd player a hat while they are a mii it gives them a green hat, but there is an M? That's what you get. Muigi.