Poll: Which Colour Wii U Would You Prefer?

Posted by Darren Calvert

You might have to wait for black, though

Yesterday we quizzed readers to discover what colour Wii U they would like to buy on launch. The results, you might say, were a bit of a landslide.

Black won with an impressive 190 votes, compared to a measly 49 votes for the white option.

If Nintendo Life readers reflect the mood of the general buying public then Nintendo might fall at the first hurdle with the Wii U launch. Yesterday we reported that a Nintendo representative at E3 had claimed that Wii U would only be available in white at launch, while the black option could follow at a later undisclosed date.

When the original Wii was released in November 2006, the public largely welcomed the white only option possibly because it followed Apple’s style at the time. But times have changed and six years later, most consumer electronics are either black or aluminium. Could a white Wii U look too similar to the original Wii for the general public to really grasp that this is a brand new console, not a simple HD revision?

If a white Wii U was the only option at launch, would you snap one up without hesitation or would you wait for the black option to surface? As always, let us know your thoughts.

[via facebook.com]

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

Black is by far my preference. If it's up to me, I'd probably wait for it. But I wouldn't complain if someone gave me white for Christmas. :)

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

I want black but don't want to wait way after launch....maybe have to get white and then watch everyone else get the awesome special Mario and Zelda editions later.

Hokori

Hokori said:

Black because a white 3DS wasn't available when I wanted it to be and I want them to match kinda like the Lite and Wii matched

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

White, looks a lot better in my living room. Black is a really overused color for electronics.

thebluelight1

thebluelight1 said:

Remember the lime green Wii (or maybe even Revolution) they originally showed off? I want that, that'll stand out amongst my other consoles :P

Or you know, just white since that'll be there at launch and I'm too impatient to wait for anything better, like black.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Black, but I don't want to wait until after Christmas to get a black one. I wouldn't complain if I ended up with white since it's still a Wii U, but I never had a black console before and I would like for Wii U to be my first one.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

I don't plan on buying a Wii u at launch (After Nintendo's abysmal E3) despite which color it comes in. I'd prefer black, but it doesn't really matter I guess.

bahooney

bahooney said:

Unless a 3D Mario romp/whatever Retro is working on/Zelda game comes out before the black console, I'll be waiting. Nothing at E3 sold me on purchasing a Wii U day one, or anything close to that.

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

black because i want something different though it if does not come i will just get a white one and wait even longer till red or purple version comes out and just transfer over to that

NX01Trekkie1992

NX01Trekkie1992 said:

black black black, and I will wait til they release it, even though I was PLANNING on buying a Wii U day one, nice move nintendo, you lost money on me

rjejr

rjejr said:

Black, but my 7 yr. old son wants white.

I really couldn't wait to get a WiiU before E3, but now I can.
More important than the color though is the price. That, and how hard is it to find. I'm not camping out.
And actual release dates for games, none for this "holiday" and "launch" nonsense.
So basically E3 told me nothing I need to know while simultaneously deflating my desire to purchase one. Color? Who cares about color?

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

Ultimately, I want red. Since I will have no choice at launch though I will end up getting white and resenting everyone when red comes out a year later.

Blaze

Blaze said:

I'd buy a black Wii U over a white one anyday. If I wanted a Wii U at launch and it was only available in white I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up though, but seeing as the Wii U software line-up is lackluster I'd expect that the black one would be available by the time I want a Wii U. :)

Ryno

Ryno said:

Why does everything have to be either white or black? What not a shade of grey or even more preferably Midnight Purple?

ennan

ennan said:

Black because it'll really make me feel like Batman...

Seriously though I prefer the black and for the first time ever I might not get a Nintendo console on launch day. Maybe I'm getting old but must-have-regardless-of-colour vibe has gone.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

All polls so far show that black is the most popular colour, so hopefully Nintendo take notice and actually give people a choice over which colour they want or they will lose sales. At least they're not stupid enough to release a console that is bright orange and looks like a lunch box!

zane

zane said:

Gold? yes thank you... or possibly silver... Black rather than white...

MayhemStaff

Mayhem said:

Black shows up fingerprints a lot more easily. I have a black Cube, but I stuck with the white Wii as I liked it. I imagine I'll probably plump for a white Wii U as well.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

I want the white. I generally prefer the lighter color option when it's available, and I prefer the way the white frames the touch screen over the black, though I'd probably get the Wii U Pro controller in black.

R-L-A-George

R-L-A-George said:

Black, I like it. Its actually quite refreshing in comparison to the white wii that sat around and got a bit dirty looking do to hands and dust. LOL, my family's has a mark telling which way up the disk goes. Everybody kept accidentally sticking it upside down. LOL.

nfzeta007

nfzeta007 said:

I want a Zelda edition one like with the 3DS, =), honestly that was the first design i wanted other than black or blue.

Koos

Koos said:

I am sure the Black will be at launch. Just an off-comment said that it won't, but they'll make the effort since they are aware of the demand. It already exists and everything and in every video and stuff.

Taya

Taya said:

I'd prefer an actual colour like red.

But if given an option between black or white (or grey or silver) I'd probably choose white.

nfzeta007

nfzeta007 said:

if they gave silver at launch i would hesitate on the black, i like black but silver just has that sleek look

drumsandperc92

drumsandperc92 said:

i'd wait for Black given the current lineup of launch period games.
If Nintendo had blown us out of the water with a surprise AAA 1st party launch title, such as a new Metroid or Star Fox or all new IP that Retro is working on, or something like that, then even if they only offered white I'd buy one on day one.
But given the lineup, if it really is only white I'd wait.
But given the lineup, if they do offer black right away then it's good enough that I'd probably buy one at launch.

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox said:

I'll definitely wait for Black. The launch-window games aren't targeted at me, anyway. I'm one of those weirdos who likes games like Xenoblade, Rune Factory, Harvest Moon, Little King's Story, Fishing Resort, Geometry Wars: Galaxies, A Boy and His Blob. Games which sells thousands of copies, not millions.

PixelatedPixie

PixelatedPixie said:

I too would really like a nice scarlet red. Or maybe a dark green. Just how expensive is it to colour plastic anyway? Nintendo had shown so many beautiful colours for the Wii but hardly any of them were actually sold. I don't get it. People clearly dig having several different options. White and Black just seem a little dull.

Chuie

Chuie said:

i wish there will be a red but black is better then white cause i got black every thing ps3 xbox 360 3ds wii ps2 psp
and my red consoles ar gameboy sp ds lite snes was spray painted nintendo 64

Azikira

Azikira said:

I'll get the White one. I like my Sony consoles black, and my Nintendo ones white/various colors. :B

Squid

Squid said:

"When the original Wii was released in November 2006, the public largely welcomed the white only option possibly because it followed Apple’s style at the time. But times have changed and six years later, most consumer electronics are either black or aluminium."

So I guess black's the new white?

Number_6

Number_6 said:

White, because it drives me crazy trying to keep "fingerprints" from becoming the color of my black Wii remote. I hate having fingerprint covered things sitting out in my living room.

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

@hendie001

OMG A purple Wii U will be AWESOME! I WOULD have to buy it even though I'd already have one at the time! Otherwise I'm not racist! They may look different on the outside but inside they have the same processing units and storage capacity so it doesnt bother me... unless they do have different storage capacity in which case it does...

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

I would get black because of the set-up I have. The stand I have is black, as well as my tv, with my PS2, xbox 360, dvd surround stereo system and N64. My wii is also among my set-up but since it's white it stands out like a sore thumb. That is the reason I am getting a black wii u, if my set-up was white (like a white ps2 and 360) then I would have gone with the white wii u.

TheN64Dude

TheN64Dude said:

black is my favorite color (except platinum, duh) but, the console looks better in white and if I got black it'd be easier to see the smudges. so i'd go with white.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Hard to tell! Both are nice! Maybe it sounds weird, but I'll guess I go for white because of the following: A white Wii u means a white Wii u gamepad. And since you see dirt better on a white controller (I have sweaty hands) it's easier for me to clean it! Seriously! I love my Zelda-styled 3DS, but it's black and thus harder to properly clean. That's my opion anyway!

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

If I had a choice, black just to contrast with my Japanese Wii which is white., however I am buying at launch regardless so if white is the only choice, white it will be.

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

Why are so many people complaining about Wii U? I think it looks pretty awesome. But I digress...given the options, I'd choose white in a snap. Black shows dirt and grime way too easy, plus it's a much more refreshing shade in a world seemingly dominated by darker colours and shades. :)

Plus, I'm a good guy, and you know...white = good, black = the-alignment-that's-not-good. ;)

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

I prefer black and I would be willing to wait for that color to be available before buying a Wii U. I don't see why Nintendo would tease us with that color if they don't intend to make it available at launch. Just give the public the option of both colors. Releasing only white when the public has already seen the black version would most likely result in some lost sales.

hillbill26

hillbill26 said:

Black. It makes it look cooler and seems to give it the look of a console for hardcore gamers.

Pro-N-Gamer

Pro-N-Gamer said:

White is for girls :D I really hope Nintendo will be wise enough to release both colours at the same day.

techwiz97

techwiz97 said:

I want black, but I will be getting it at launch so I am PERFECTLY happy with white!

Ruthven

Ruthven said:

BLACK... I got a launch White Wii and changed to a Black Wii as soon as it come out, even though it was a VERY painful process as there is no official way of moving all saves and settings. :(
If they do launch the back Wii U at a later date please at least make it EASY to transfer your saves and settings to the new console.

Ruthven

Ruthven said:

If Nintendo do launch the back Wii U later at least make it EASY to transfer your saves and settings to the new console.

Ruthven

Ruthven said:

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

Black

I'm never buying a white controller or handheld again if I have any other options. They look very pretty when they're brand new; not quite as much after a couple of years of consistent use.

BenAV

BenAV said:

Either is fine for me, but I'd probably prefer white just because I have a white Wii, so that means my Wii U controllers would match my Wii controllers.

Jr-Joe

Jr-Joe said:

Black, but both look good. I don't mind waiting for the black one, I'll just play some PS3 in the meantime.

TheAdza

TheAdza said:

I'd like a black one but I would also like it to be verticle which unfortunately it isnt. Its going to be tough finding a spot for it next to my TV with the PS3, 360, Wii, Saturn, and Dreamcast all taking up space. Might be time to retire a few.

Rekiotsu

Rekiotsu said:

I say black and i would probably wait for it too. But nintendo would be stupid to make us wait because it would drop sales.

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

I believe I said traditional two tone NES gray. That would be sweet, but as it stands between the two...I'll take white.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

If nothing else but white was announced until the launch i wouldn't have minded much, but now i think that if i get one it has to be black.
Also: good thought about the similarity to the Wii. But you also have to consider that people might not want a console and controller that looks different from their white remotes. So maybe it would be a good idea to show the black one in TV ads and at the end of it mention something like "also available in white".

Dizzard

Dizzard said:

Out of the two choices, I would pick black.

I'm not really fond of either though. I really do think Black and White are bland and overrated.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Black.
If black is as far off as the black Wii was, then I'll buy a white Wii U and paint my own design on it.

MattL

MattL said:

Instinct says black, but to Hell with being picky, I just want one! And soon ;) Can't wait :)

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Let's see, if I'm Nintendo, I'm thinking the following:

1) People who liked the "clean white" look of the Wii will instantly recognize the "clean white" look of the Wii U, so that's one for Wii U.
2) People, mostly casuals, may also get the two white systems confused and may say, "Well, that's ok, I've got a Wii, I don't really need an upgrade, what for? Money's tight, [etc. reasoning] and this would be a strike against Wii U in white
3) Black is a color that fits with most electronics, also, it will help those distinguish the Wii and Wii U very easily.
Bonus) People were horribly teased of a black Wii WAY BACK when they were still announcing the prototype of the Wii... do I want to repeat history.

In conclusion, I would say, I need to launch with BOTH systems right away, that way the MOST AMOUNT of people can be happy.

In my opinion, this... black later... option is not acceptable, and Nintendo really needs to inform us of "when" that will be. I'd MUCH rather have black.

hydeks

hydeks said:

I chose white, I like white, my black wii looks too scratched up just from me touching it -_-

Malkeor

Malkeor said:

Black probably just because white would be distracting, compared to black, for the controller in my opinion.

If it was just the console, I would probably go with white.

Super-Mario-Fan

Super-Mario-Fan said:

I don't really care what color to get. There's white and there's black, they both look fine. I would get white, it matches my Wii and all my Wii accessories.

emiru69

emiru69 said:

i was going to say black but I just love that 3DS purple!!!
I want to see a purple Wii U and for the ads, I want Prince singing a modified version of "Purple Rain"! _ What?! If you are going to bananas go all the way! Ask Donkey Kong!

TimboBaggins

TimboBaggins said:

I don't want to say I would wait.....but I might put it off for a few months. But I'm not waiting 5 years for the black version. I wish they hadn't even shown the black version if they aren't going to sell it

Bassman_Q

Bassman_Q said:

Black.

Not available on launch date? Then I'll just wait til they release the black one, even if it takes a year or two.

Of course, if they ever released a dark green or dark blue color, that would be amazing. :D

Vriess

Vriess said:

Both look nice. I won't buy the Wii U at launch so I will probably have the choice by the time I do.

Masterman280

Masterman280 said:

White gets dirty, the control sticks, dpad and buttons will start to turn to a different colour. Black only gets dusty and fingerprints show a lot, but all you need to do is wipe it off.

Nintendoro

Nintendoro said:

You guys are such racists... Anyway, I would probably want black one more, but white one is gorgeous too and I don't care which one to get. Pity they are both glossy. Matte colors would have been much more practical. Hate cleaning fingerprints and dust

Joshume

Joshume said:

I personnaly prefer black,since it's my favorite color.I wonder how long we'll have to wait,though.At least that gives me time to save up for a WiiU itself.

By...........Joshume

WaveyChristmas

WaveyChristmas said:

WHITE.(It looks whimsical just like the wii. :D ) Not a fan of black videogames electronics....Just seems a tad boring imo, as 'black' can look like an electronic blob of nothingness. There needs to be something to break things up, white at least does that. But for people who like it bland and boring, Black no doubt will blur right into their Black TV stands where everything is black, a big fat black square-blob. :p I need things to be broken up, Black, light brown, white, maybe a bit of color ect ect instead of black, black, black.

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

If it's in black, I get black, if it's in white I get white. I don't get about console colors... Just the controllers for the consoles!

shinesprite

shinesprite said:

I think this poll was severely missing a "Don't Care" choice.

. . . but personally, I really like how the Home light accents a darker controlled, but at the same time, I don't like how the painted "TV" and "Power" buttons look. That said, for me it'll somewhat be the flip of a coin.

Most players have a white Wii (and presumably white Wiimotes), so it would reason to believe that they would want to keep a nice, neat set and go with white. ;)

wiiUnbaCODaclll

wiiUnbaCODaclll said:

i say both.... i dont like how they gave the black wii u everything 32G, game ext... they could aleast gave the white 10G and SUPER MARIO BRO U... OR AT LEAST ONE OF THE 2 (i did notice the black atracts lots of finger prints though)