Rumour: We May See a New Nintendo Console at E3

Posted by Corbie Dillard

Sources say Nintendo set to announce new home console

Well it seems that our little hint about a new console possibly coming from Nintendo in our recent article about the Wii price cut might be coming true after all.

Game Informer has just let loose with what could be the biggest E3 rumour to date: according to multiple sources, Nintendo is getting set to announce a brand new HD home console at this year's E3 trade show in Los Angeles.

Very little is known about the new console, although these sources claim that it's exactly the step in the right direction needed to bring back the wealth of third-party support that has been lacking on Nintendo's current Wii console.

We'll keep you posted on any new information about the console and we'll be live at E3 to cover the show every step of the way.

Update: Reports are already rolling in that the new console will feature a brand new controller that will even feature its own HD screen. A handful of publishers have also stated that the system will feature graphical capabilities beyond that of the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 consoles and will be backward compatible with the current library of Wii releases.

Bear in mind that these are just rumours at this stage and should not be taken as solid information until confirmed by Nintendo.

[via gameinformer.com, computerandvideogames.com]

Tails

Tails said:

:O My Wallet just screamed.. and Lit itself on fire from this.. Come on Nintendo Show us How its done Once again.

irken004

irken004 said:

I'd highly doubt that they'll show off a new console. If anything, they may hint as to what the next console can do.

c0ldfire16

c0ldfire16 said:

I really hope this is true, that Nintendo is working on a system with HD graphics. I woud love to see Nintendo be as they once were back in the SNES days, they were the cream of the crop in the graphics department AND they made the best games, hopefully they can go back to the glory days.

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

Oh yeah! I'm very excited even though it will likely be 1 year or more out from this years e3 until it actually hits retail. I wonder what the next big thing will be. DS had touch screen, Wii had motion controls, 3DS has 3D without glasses, I can't imagine what they could have in store for this one. e3 can't come soon enough! :D

Punny

Punny said:

This better not be a "Game Infarcer" moment. Then again, it does seem like the perfect time to eveal a new console. BRING IT ON!!!

erv

erv said:

With pikmin 3 as a launch title. Mark my words, it'll be the prettiest thing you've set eyes on while simultaneously the best thing you have ever played.

J-Forest-Esq

J-Forest-Esq said:

Huh. I doubt it. They might drop a few hints but I don't think they'll show anything concrete. BUT THEN AGAIN...?

SigourneyBeaver

SigourneyBeaver said:

Yet another mention of Nintendo's third-party situation. It's getting very old now. Either Nintendo keeps doing something seriously wrong with every console it makes, or the situation isn't as bad as all that.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

Nintendo pulling off awesome E3 showings consecutively isn't common and hasn't happen since E3 2004 then 2005 then 2006.

Let this be another year of an amazing show for Nintendo :)

I have a good feeling that they'll pull it off this year with surprise games for Wii and 3DS.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Wow, it seems my trip to Los Angeles in June just got a bit more interesting. :D

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

With the possibly word going on that Nintendo is dropping the price of the Wii in a few months I wouldnt be surprised if they announce the next console at E3. At E3 anything is possible.

_Joejoe_

_Joejoe_ said:

So... what your telling me is that Skyward Sword is pretty much going to have the same timing as Twillight Princess did? Appearing inbetween Nintendo Consoles? Wierd...

Welp, guess I best start saving... again.
The Pikmin series may have just jumped a whole console! D: Weird...
(Not counting New Play Control.)

pixelman

pixelman said:

Fffffuuuuu. More things to spend my money on. D:

/me waits for Sony to say OMGMETOO.

X-145

X-145 said:

Every 5 years...nintendo with a new console every 5+- years.
NES: 1985
SNES: 1991
64: 1996
Gamecube: 2001
Wii: 2006
New console: '11-'12
Coincidence? no.
Conspirecy? Hell yes!!!

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

Considering HD is more widespread than it was back in '06, this shouldn't really be surprising :)

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

I don't know how to respond to this exactly. Any generation before this one, I would've been chomping at the bit to hear anything about Nintendo's next console, but for whatever reason I'm just not feeling it this time around. Wii still has plenty of life left in her and I'm actually kind of disappointed to see Nintendo jump on the HD bandwagon. It needed to be done, for sure, but I sencerely hope Nintendo has more surprises in store for Wii owners before the company jumps ship entirely.

potomas

potomas said:

The wii is the most disappointing nintendo console i have owned.It will have to be pretty special for me to even think about getting one.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

I'm game when it hits but for now, only Wii/GameCube love in my home.

Sylverstone

Sylverstone said:

Damn it Corbie! >.<

Other than that...
I'm not sure how I should react to this.

More importantly, what are they thinking up at Nintendo HQ? Is there even a little gimmick this time? Backwards compatibility?

Of course, of course, all roads lead to LA this June.

Do your stuff Corb-man, see if you can make another winning quote for us to exploit use!

TheBaconator

TheBaconator said:

Great...Another thing I'm going to have to wait for. Hope they do what Microsoft did and release the thing the day after the conference.

Platypus

Platypus said:

I'm betting on a controller that can transform into different shapes.

Seriously though I'm going to guess it won't release until 2013

Tar

Tar said:

They might match the xbox or ps3, but the ps4 and new xbox will bee better, so I hope this is a wii 1.5

JohnDoe123

JohnDoe123 said:

I hope they announce a new console. I probably wouldn't get this for a while, though.

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

IT WONT BE A WII. No, it will be something completely New.

I think something with 20 cores, 10GB RAM and a 10TB hard drive and ofcourse a BDXL drive for games.
(the second part of this post is sarcastic)

Burn

Burn said:

No thanks, I think I can squeeze some more life out of my Wii for another year or two.

Arkaein

Arkaein said:

Makes sense. Announce at E3 2011, and likely demo to public at E3 2012 and release in fall of 2012.

That sounds reasonable, in that it would be 6 years after the release of the Wii, a slightly longer span than previous Nintendo consoles. An even longer cycle might be expected given how popular the Wii is, but the fact that the Wii launched as the least powerful of the then "next gen" consoles, and the fact that sales are declining (though still strong overall, relative to the other systems) gives Nintendo incentive and pricing flexibility to launch a new system that gets Nintendo caught up in terms of hardware power without a high price tag or loss leader strategy.

NapalmHornet

NapalmHornet said:

I don't want motion controlls. I hope they also put more horsepower in it this time e.g. HD compatible (1080p) and a wayyy higher graphics card.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

This prediction is probably true.
Nintendo better surprise us with this like last year, though.

turtlelink

turtlelink said:

Does this mean Nintendo lied to us by saying there won't be a new console anytime soon? :o

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Well just because they choose to announce the console doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be released any time soon. I doubt the system will even be playable at this year's E3 show (although a part of me still hopes it will be). :D

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

Darn. My wallet still ( and probably never will) recover for the 3DS. I will get this if it is real for Christmas 2012 or my b-day 2013.

turtlelink

turtlelink said:

Well, I guess I'm glad I didn't get a 3DS yet. If they do announce something, at least I know I have the cash to back up whatever it is. :D

armoredghor

armoredghor said:

I really hope they don't announce it. The others will just attempt to one up them after they've seen it and then claim Nintendo is worthless again. Sony will probably make it compatible with whatever kind of TV they're trying to sell next. Although I would be all for a $100-$150 attachment that brings the wii up to HD and then send up a massive update on all previous games through a new hardrive in said attatchment. A guy can dream.

SigourneyBeaver

SigourneyBeaver said:

I fear that if they do a similar style announcement to the Wii it will hurt them. The Wii announcement was great - calling it Revolution, giving us a fleeting glimpse of it minus the controller and then saying nothing else to let the rumour mill do its work. The reality didn't turn out quite as revolutionary as I would've hoped. Let's face it. It's the only console with a permanent internet connection and nothing has been done with it apart from system updates and the messageboard.

I think they need to be much more open about the next system. They've fired their disruptor. Now its time to let the dust settle.

OldBoy

OldBoy said:

This thing is gonna have to be good,my wallet can't take the strain.The 3DS has broke me and the NGP is due soon too :O
Ah well ,I guess it's time to start selling s**t on E-Bay :P

Highwinter

Highwinter said:

@Armoredghor The rumours are saying it's significantly more powerful than the 360 and PS3 but that won't necessarily mean we'll see new systems from those two. Sony have only just started making a profit on PS3's and Kinect has proved very successful for MS. A new powerful Nintendo system wouldn't automatically render those two pointless..

Remember, the original Xbox was significantly more powerful than anything else on the market at the time but that didn't make it the best or the most popular.

Personally, I was very disappointed with the Wii. I don't mind them trying to appeal to a bigger audience, but it has felt like they abandoned serious gaming by doing so.. Now that the casual market is drying up for them, it'll be very interesting to see what they do.

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

have they ever announced a new console at E3?
they use tokio game shows or own press conferences for that

taffy

taffy said:

I don't know, something tells me this rumour is false. I think Nintendo will be focusing on the 3DS at this years E3, I'd also wager that they'll announce "The last story" and "Xenoblade" for western release. The Wii still has a year or two left in her.

DrCruse

DrCruse said:

Since Nintendo's Lineup for this year at this point consists of a new Wii Play and an N64 remake, and because of the price cut of the Wii, this seems highly likely.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

I laugh at the people who honestly thought a successor to the Wii was going to arrive in around 2015....Are you kidding me!? Nintendo releases a new console every 5 years. Yet this one will most likely be lined up for Nov 2012.

And I can't wait!!!! :D

DF2506

DF2506 said:

I doubt that Nintendo will announce a new console this year. Even if the system is coming out next year, it would still take focus away from the 3DS, which just came out. I doubt Nintendo would want to do that. Especially since they have been playing up how many cool new features the 3DS is going to have. I think new console talk is just from people who want Nintendo to do another new console. I think Nintendo will have one NEXT YEAR and like someone else said, they may HINT about a new system, but I think the focus this year will mostly be on the 3DS, with some interesting new Wii games announced too.

I also have to say that I hope they don't announce a new console. I want Nintendo's E3 to be about the 3DS mostly. I just bought the system. I think its great and has a lot of potential. Here's hoping Nintendo focuses on the 3DS for a little bit before getting another new console.

Moco_Loco

Moco_Loco said:

Someone else once pointed out that Nintendo consoles tend to do something revolutionary every other console, followed up by a refinement. The NES was revolutionary in its day, and the SNES refined and perfected it. The N64 was Nintendo's first foray into polygonal 3D gaming, and the GameCube refined the graphics and the controller without doing anything revolutionary.

I expect that the Wii's successor will refine motion controlled gaming, hopefully improving on both Move and Kinect in order to set a new standard for motion control in HD. I don't care if it's announced at E3 or not, I won't get it for awhile anyway unless I hit the lottery.

yoyogamer

yoyogamer said:

This is old news. The Street fighter creator (I forget his name) claimed that SF4 3D would be able to connect with a gaming system that does "not yet exist" about a month ago. Oh, and he couldn't reveal details until 3 months from now. Suspicious...

TheGreenSpiny

TheGreenSpiny said:

My guess, if Nintendo does anounce a new system they will try something like the DS's third wheel approach. By this I mean they won't phase out the Wii (or plan too) but make a system that's backwards compatible with Wii, uses Wii Remote plus, but has enough horsepower to handle PS360 HD ports. They may even introduce a new classic controller, or a wavebird 2 to give people the choice to play with or without motion controls. And since it's a new Nintendo system, it'll get flooded with HD ports of games from the last 5 years.

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

As sad as I am to say it, I probably won't be getting this one straight out of the gate. My wallet is still in recovery from the 3DS. Also, I hope that Skyward Sword doesn't get the shift from Wii to the new one.

bonesy91

bonesy91 said:

"jumps for joy"
"realizes he also owns a 3ds"
"looks into wallet"
Well... I guess I'll have to start eating one square meal a week for the next two years, in order to afford all of this amazing Nintendo stuff... _

armoredghor

armoredghor said:

@SigourneyBeaver
I would have to disagree. Motion control is still the most revolutionary step the game industry has made since 3D. And the Wii still has DLC, an online marketplace, a web browser, online multiplayer, and Netflix. With a series of News and weather channels that the 360 & PS3 don't have.
@Highwinter
I still think the others would come running. Sony & Microsoft don't have to worry about what profit they make from any of their systems Since they both deal elsewhere leading their respective markets, they have plenty of funds that they can spoil on the gaming market just to stay ahead. I also think that people can be fooled by how small a company is. Nintendo has never been able to fit all their franchises on a single system. So they had to choose between casual, existing franchises or new franchises.

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

@73. Yes. Me. I don't own an HD TV so I really could care less about it and honestly, I don't see too terribly much difference between regular and HD graphics.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

@Moco Loco

Hey now, the GCN had Mini Discs(lol), a Camera Control stick, that unique funky 4 button layout with the Big A and bean buttons, plus the push sensitive L and R Buttons. :p When I first got a hold of the GCN controller it was pretty darn unique I must say and it felt fantastic. But of course, all of that paled in comparison to the birth of the N64's analog stick and controlling mario in huge 3D worlds in Mario 64.

As for the SNES...All i can think of are the shoulder buttons and Mode 7 being an innovation.

Anyways, next Gen is going to be even more wonderful for gaming. Nintendo's first step into HD territory.
1080p Full HD games, meaning NO HDTV Scaling resulting in a perfect image. the crap nowadays has 720p games being scaled to fixed 720p sets or 1080p sets resulting in an inferior scaled image. Hopefully 'LAG' will be history by 2012 and motion finally up to par with CRT. LCD won't be the one to do it, plasma at this point has the only chance, unless OLED blow up into bigger sets by 2012 which I highly doubt will happen.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

I love e3, can't still abandon my dream of a new F-Zero or Starfox on the Wii. Those are always some crazy couple of days, I assume this year will be no different.

NSBlueLighing

NSBlueLighing said:

Yes!!!! Now just dont be cheap on the hardware! COUGH: Disc drives, hard drive not flash drive and jeez DLC support, Names not FC's. Then ill buy it!

pixelman

pixelman said:

IGN's saying late 2012 and that it'll be "much more powerful" than the 360 and PS3, and that Nintendo is trying to recapture the hardcore market. Interesting.

Holiday 2012 would be great for me. That'd give me a good year with the 3DS and let my Wii have some more attention. I really doubt it'll be much more powerful than the 360 and PS3, but you never know. For all we know...

Untitled

:O

E3's going to be fun this year, haha.

Burning_Spear

Burning_Spear said:

This would make sense with the price cut. Move all the Wiis now before a new console is announced.

RYBlast

RYBlast said:

My wallet isn't ready at all. So many games to buy. I WANT A JOB DAMMIT!

And I think they're gonna hint it at E3 2011. but show us the full thing maybe a year later or 2.

James

James said:

That 3DSbuzz post links to a poorly written site that doesn't contain any attributable quote. Considering Yoshinori Ono got in hot water before for saying he wanted to make Nintendo X Capcom, and for saying the 3DS launch was like the Dreamcast, I wonder how likely it is he'd say the 3DS version would connect to a new home console.

As far as I recall, the original quote actually said it was likely the 3DS version would connect to a home console, but that he couldn't say any more until E3. Super Street Fighter IV Wii Edition — you heard it here first, guys. Either that or it's going to connect to Arcade Edition on PS3/360 :3

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

make it more powerful and HD with better online and give me some dang connectivity with my 3DS

GammaGames

GammaGames said:

wait, does the update say the controller has an HD screen? I just have one thing to say:
HUGE SUCCESS!
(im hyped for Portal 2 :D)

Chris720

Chris720 said:

This sounds like a rumour for sure. But a new console should've been hinted at last year, however because of the 3DS showcase they might've bumped it to this year. Either way we still had 1-2 years before the Wii was released... but since the Wii is about 5 years old now, it could well be true.

But with this whole HD thing? Bit late for that now right? They didn't care in '06, why would the care now? However it does boil to this: Nintendo started creating or thinking of the new console (Wii) as soon as the GCN was shown at E3, at that point HD wasn't in or wasn't around (I'm guessing) so they kept the HD out for the Wii...

But who knows what Ninty has up their sleeves? They're full of surprises lately...

Moco_Loco

Moco_Loco said:

If it's released in late 2012, maybe it will be so mind-blowingly awesome that it will actually CAUSE the Apocalypse.

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

Atleast I can get it during the holidays. No money left in my wallet, spent all on the 3DS

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Done editing resume for 2nd job and... sent.
Ah, the first rumors fly, lol. I feel almost responsible. :) I could be wrong, and that's fine, I have an edible hat, but I reeeeally believe that it's announcement time for Nintendo's next console at this E3... then, in-depth details about it @ E3 2012, then, release date November 2012. I can't wait to see if this rumor is true or not...

childofacid

childofacid said:

It would be nice if I could connect my 3DS to the "Wii 2" and use it as a controller. mmhmm.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

As much as I want to get all fired up over this, I must keep my hype in check until the big day. Still, I can't help but dream about it. It obviously won't have that dismal "Wii 2" name but something cool like "Super Wii" that would put it a step above the normal Wii. I won't miss out on the E3 conference this year!

Henmii

Henmii said:

I for a long time believed that we would see the succesor to the Wii this year, and that there would be 2 versions of Skyward sword (similar situation to Twilight princess).

But I have changed my mind: The 3DS is just here. It's expensive, people probably don't want to buy 2 devices in the same year. There will be a big focus on the 3DS this years E3.

And think about it: E3 already sounds very packed, much more then other years. Here are all the games we possibly hear/see more about:

Skyward sword
Last story
Xenoblade
Pandora's tower
Kirby wii
Paper Mario 3D
Mariokart 3D
Mario bros 3D
Oot 3D
Starfox 64 3D
Professor Layton 5
And other games too...

And then Wii 2 on top? Naaah!!

Maybe in 2012 or 2013, but not this year. Either way, I don't think the wii will be around for another 5 years!

Xkhaoz

Xkhaoz said:

Well, there goes the new Sonic game, fixing my 360, everything (except for$0 for OoT and 100 points, need my CN coins)

BudDudandSlash

BudDudandSlash said:

This is exactly what I expected out of this year's E3. The timing was right and the stars are aligned.
Also, see you there, Corbs (and anyone else going). Or if I don't see any of you, at least we'll StreetPass! Those ghosts aren't going to battle themselves!

Tylr

Tylr said:

I think they may annouce it and not release it for a couple of years. The Wii still has a lot of exciting games coming. Hmmm...guess we'll see at E3.

SMBSS

SMBSS said:

What's that? They're making a console that plays NES, SNES, Gameboy/Advance, and Virtual Boy cartridges in one?

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

They're supposed to release it at the end of 2012. So we'll likely just get a small dose at E3 this year. I would bet the majority of the coverage will happen at E3 2012. I'm super stoked for the press conference and the developer's roundtable now, for sure. :D

Zach

Zach said:

I've been a lifelong Nintendo fan, but I got a PS3 last Christmas and within moments of playing it you see how dated the Wii really is. Not that the Wii doesn't have its merits, but they need a new console soon. The online interface is perhaps the most obvious of the features that the PS3 has over the Wii - you immediately feel that it wants you to come and investigate it, and just two days ago I bought PS1 classic Parasite Eve for just $6 on it. So yeah, I hope that Nintendo announces a new console, and I hope they get it right this time - even though they oddly held onto catridges during the N64 days and non-HD non-online-emphasized-strategy during the Wii days. Third time's a charm, right?

HanuKwanzMasBif

HanuKwanzMasBif said:

Personally, I think the Wii still has a good couple years to go. They could leak out a bit of info at a time for the new system, let it get known, then have a big new system blowout at E3 2013 and release the system in July.

Ren

Ren said:

whoa, I hope this is true, but I'd rather not know this early. then have to wait another year.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Wow. Just wow. If this comes true it would be amazing. Though I probably wouldn't get the new console for a while I think the Wii is ready to move on. Now would be the time as there's no new consoles in sight from Sony or Microsoft. If Nintendo brings out a console that's more powerful than their current consoles, they'll be left scrambling & be forced to upgrade perhaps. I guess Nintendo finally found a gaming experience Wii can't do... The next console better not use friend codes! :P Oh & screen on the controller? :S Do they want to see the next console go down as hard as the Dreamcast? ;) haha. This is going to be an exciting E3, even if nothing comes of the rumours! (yay for more awesome Wii games, at least :))

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

I feel like this will happen, I mean come on. In the last 20 years Ninetendo released 5 different home consoles. These are the NA release dates: The NES was release in 1985, the SNES in 1991, N64 in1996, the GC 2001, and the Wii in 2006. Now for the most par it looks like they release a new console for every 5 years. Now if i am not mistaken in November of this year it would be the 5th anniversary of the Wii. I just feel like looking at the past that history will repeat itself regarding the release date. I also feel like the reason for the graphics on the wii being so out of date, is when the wii 2 comes out itll jump way ahead of the game and bring out some of the best graphics we have ever seen. But this is just my oppinion.

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

Tylr, if You read the article again it said that it would be able to play the original Wii games too. Soo if any great titles were to come out, I dnt think it would matter. And regarding about the wii having a few more years on it, if you look at sales number they are declinging. Soo what would be the thing to do, in my oppinion it would be to release the next big thing... the wii 2. Now i kno the 3DS has just come out, but you got people out there who doesnt even touch hand held games.

koops330

koops330 said:

Nintendo needs to wait till like 2014 for a wii 2, I still need to buy a 3DS first.

King_Boo

King_Boo said:

anybody think they'll switch it around from last time, show the the controller at E3 and the console at another event.

motang

motang said:

Yep, been saying this since end of last year, it's time the Super Wii came out!

Wheels2050

Wheels2050 said:

Aaaargh! I still haven't played most of the Wii games I have - I don't have time to invest in a new console!

Although, I'll wait for details. The Wii was always going to be the last console I bought, so I might not even be interested in the next one...

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

A VC transfter will be obvious. And they'll probably add in Saturn, Dreamcast and Gamecube to the VC....And you know, maybe the VC is on the major decline because Nintendo is purposly saving a lot of the classics via download for their next console....

Besides advanced motion controls, i hope they bust out a crazy innovation or suprise, virtual head tracking, who knows!? But it's sad to hear that 3D isn't happening...

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

The people who think it's too soon are the ones who have just recently picked up the Wii, little selfish twats, thinking about themselves only because 'they' finally got around to getting one when it's been out since late 06'.lol
Personally, i got mine at Christmas 07' with Super Mario Galaxy...Can't believe i was a year late with it. eek! They were pretty tough to get i gotta admit.

Anyways, the Wii's been out since Winter 06, launching their next console for Christmas 2012 is perfect timing.

moosa

moosa said:

Will they announce a new console? Sure, maybe. It's a completely logical time to do so, and you don't need a legitimate "inside source" (not that those are ever legitimate) to predict that. I don't believe there's any credibility to any of the other rumored features.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

The rumors, ohhh...

I expected the Wii may not last beyond the year 2012 @ most. This is why I sold my copy of Brawl, while I could still get a little more than 1/2 the retail price tag. Once a rumor of a new system comes, the price goes down, for what I can get out of it. & like I said before, N will probably business-wise make the decision to not support the Wii's online structure w/ it's new game system, so any online-centric Wii games get a price drop. This is why I sold brawl.

But this doesn't necessarily mean something concrete. I still have to eBay purchase a Wii dvd-rom drive to replace the broken one. @ least I hope, & pray my console's issue is the drive.

Earlier this year, there was a rumor about the Wii getting a price cut, & now there is the rumor reported here about it.

There is a chance this could be true. This November will be the Wii, & PS3's 5th year, & I think the 360's 6th. Next gen is probably nearing.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Now that I know who at least a couple of these sources are, I have no doubt that these features that have been spoken of are indeed quite real. LOL :D I just hope they at least show us what it looks like in LA in June. :D

Treetop

Treetop said:

I think it should be called the iWii and anyway Apple is rivaled between microsoft so this could make Microsoft shares smaller if Nintendo and Apple team up That will help Kill off Microsoft from Gaming atlest so both companys win.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

I hope they call it the Nintendo Dolphin and give it some sort of Aqua Blue Color scheme in the same vain as the 3DS....Although I'm totaly down for white as well hehe.

And I know Dolphin was the Gamecube's code name, but damn does it sound great! :D
I'd also be happy with 'Nintendo Splash Woman' LOL

Once Nintendo's Next Console hits later next year, I'll be finally plunging into the HD world, with a big 50" 1080p Plasma. :D

Wolfenstein83

Wolfenstein83 said:

Cool, but I will believe it when I see it, or hear it from Nintendo themselves.
Only because we all know how they like to make everything a big secret.
Remember the time they were going to show off the thing that could take your pulse, and translate it into health in a game?
I don't remember what it was called, but it never showed up at E3.
I think Nintendo should wait just a tiny bit longer before they release a new console, especially since if they are the first out of the gate, everyone else will just be trying to outdo them, tech-spec wise.
Guess we have to wait and see...

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Wolfenstein83
I love your Avatar...It takes me back! :D
Back to that horrible yet memorable and frustrating game.lol
That damn song that loops and loops during the main game is burnt into my skull, but the cabin music is phenomenal.

Nathan

Nathan said:

Oh yeah, it needs to happen ASAP. The Wii sucks right now. Graphics are a major factor for most people, so they better take into consideration the fact that Microsoft and Sony will be upping their capabilities as well with their next gen. I would hate to see Nintendo a step or two behind again...

outrun2sp

outrun2sp said:

The most revolutionary thing that nintendo could do this time is leave the casual market behind and bring back controllers too. Anyone here saying that its too soon cant afford it or got the 3ds. This has to happen and will be a day 1 purchase for me of the american machine. Wont make the mistake i made with wii vc as 50hz is banned in my house.

Really hope it emulates the third party support of the snes as im 32 and am not ecstatic at the idea of mario games good as they are. Capcom, konami and sega on board and the machine will gain back the street credibility that nintendo has lost in the last 5 years. 3ds wont bring it back but this machine will.

zionich

zionich said:

Can some one explain to me why HD graphics is such a big deal, I just dont get it.

JimLad

JimLad said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they did mention something about it.
I think it's the right time if they want to hold on to the head of the market. They've got the install base sure, but their new software sales are suffering from mass core migration to the HD consoles.
More powerful than the PS3/360 though? I'm not sure about that. :/
I just pray to god they give it a decent online service, or that will be a killer in this day and age.

tweet75

tweet75 said:

I sure hope nintendo comes out with a console more powerful than the next gen microsoft and sony machines. Nintendo may "hint" at it at E3 2011 and will be playable at E3 2012 but that doesnt mean it has to arrive till holiday 2012 or later.

daznsaz

daznsaz said:

it will be powerful for sure there not gonna go backwards with any luck it will exceed current ones and they will have other bells an whistles cant wait

Highwinter

Highwinter said:

@Zach Kaplan
I owned a 360 for about a year before getting a Wii and that was the system that really pushed the online services. Using that and then seeing how laughable Nintendo's online "features" were was really astounding. It definitely needs to be one of their main focuses with this new system.

I'm also a bit surprised to see people calling HD graphics a "gimmick" or "buzzword". Yes, they don't add anything to gameplay but it does look significantly better, even 2D games with HD graphics look beautiful and if you're playing non-HD games on an HD TV, you're left with a horribly blurry and washed out looking image on an already dated looking system.

And let's face it, motion controls have proved to be nothing but a gimmick. They also don't add anything to most games at it served purely to appeal to casual gamers who bought a Wii, played one game and never touched it again. As much as I love Nintendo, I don't see why we have to cover for all their mistakes.

And for those that don't think this rumour is true, you just have to look at the facts. Wii sales are drying up, attach rate is very low, upcoming big games are ZERO (other than Zelda), Microsoft have released their own motion control system - which is very popular and Sony have as well, to a lesser degree. They've fallen behind the competition in every conceivable way and these rumours aren't sprouting from one person, this is numerous sources all saying the same thing.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

lol HD graphics actually arent that big of a deal, at first you're like 'wow' but then after that you get used to it and the most important thing shines through...And that's the stale dated dual analog controls that the PS3 and 360 provide. But at the same time, everybody is playing with scaled HD graphics these days...unless they're playing one of the few 1080p games on a 1080p display.

Anyways, I'd take an SD Metroid game with wii pointer controls over an HD Metroid with dual analog anyday. Wii pointer controls are revolutionary for that genre....Hell anything that requires aiming.

Livetyswiretys

Livetyswiretys said:

thank god i decided to not buy any new game consoles the 3ds was the last one and i am about to buy all nintendo machines :) like 3ds and older. i got nes,gc,gb,gba,wii,dsi xl and 3ds so i just need n64 and snes

Ultranintendofanboy

Ultranintendofanboy said:

WaveBoy

The only thing that I were trying to say is that I love fresh Ideas, something new. I have a Wii and I love it. But if a new Nintendo console is going to be anounced I will be very happy of course.

Chris720

Chris720 said:

@134 Which is what kinda happened with the Wii, it was released a few months before the releasse of the PS3, so I'm guessing Sony could've upgraded the PS3 in a few ways before release.

I'd love to see what Nintendo came up with, but coming out this late in the HD era is quite odd. Everything is going the 3D now, even the 3DS went 3D... and now they want their home console HD, all out of the blue? Something is a bit fishy here... I guess we just have to wait until E3... just hope they don't do the same thing they did with TP to SS, being released on both systems. D: Yet the new system's version is better... god the GCN version of TP sucks, Wii version ftw

Burning_Spear

Burning_Spear said:

This is a great time, isn't it? All the excitement, speculation and anticipation? Thinking about the brand-new ways we'll be playing games?

timp29

timp29 said:

hahaha

is anyone else picturing a skyward sword delay to be a front line title on the new system?
edit: just looked 2 comments up :p

cnm_nintendo

cnm_nintendo said:

I kinda hope this new console would also support 3D but I doubt it... Considering how Nintendo is really promoting the Nintendo 3DS which "allow you to view 3D images without the need for special glasses."

rjejr

rjejr said:

Note to Nintendo Life - might want to add the date when you write about a new console announcement - "in anticipation of the system's reported late 2012 launch" - was prominent in the original Gameinformer article.

HD is better. It just is. Why are people still discussing it? That said, a game like Maijin on the PS3 doesn't look much better than MHTri on the Wii. A lot of PSN games don't look much better either. SMG, SSBB, Kirby look fine, but top end games on the PS3 aren't approachable on the Wii, not just b/c of HD but b/c of the Wii's lack of power. Powerful system + HD = far superior visuals.

I like the Wii pointer (not the waggle so much) and hope they keep it. Turn on a PS3 w/ Move and a Wii normally and see which one works better. (I hate the XMB even w/o the Move) I don't see why Nintendo can't improve their current Wiimote-nunchuck system to the point we stop talking about which is better.

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

I highly doubt it we will see it at this E3. I expect a lot of games for the Wii and the 3DS, not a new home console. It would be stupid to announce a new console on the upcoming E3 and then wait for another E3 and lots of months till they release it. Sure there would be hype. But guess how many people aren't going to by a Wii anymore. Would be very stupid in my opinion.

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

@rjejr where in the magazine does it say the anticipation of the system's reprortedlate 2012? Because the only thing I read in the new issue is that specification will be unveiled at E3 in june ,and a introduction early 2012. Launch time or date wasnt specified in the magazine. Tell me where if it was stated.

Malkeor

Malkeor said:

@151: Hopefully not. I mean Skyward Sword is supposed to be released by the end of this year.
If they are announcing the next console (not really showing) then we have till the end of 2012 or even 2013.

@155: Well I really wish more games would take advantage of Wii Motion Plus, and that is about on par with Playstation Move isn't it? Though i'm not too sure....

Hardy83

Hardy83 said:

What about backwards compatible for Gamecube? Ohhhh right, they'll probably be rereleasing those as HD remakes.

Not that it's a bad thing, but it would've been cooler if they just let us use the cube discs and the machine did an upscaling thing.

OrdonianLink

OrdonianLink said:

honestly I like the graphics now, but better than ps3 and xbox? Okay its gotta be called something cool like the HDii

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

A controller with a screen = not good. Hopefully it will remain a rumor, I like my controller with basic pad, analogs, and buttons, not a screen.

SullKid

SullKid said:

One thing that I'm wondering with these HD speculations:
I think it would be extremely hard for Nintendo to find a gfx chip that could NOT provide HD graphics :D
It goes without saying that it will be HD console.

zeeroid

zeeroid said:

@161,retro_player_22: I think you should probably expect something similar to the NGP or lower half of the 3DS. It'll definitely still have buttons, no matter what else happens. I'm excited.

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

A controller with a touch screen, eh? I remember hearing that Nintendo used that as a concept when they were developing the console after Gamecube, but they decided not to because then it would be too similar to the DS.

Just imagine, we could have already had touch screen Wiis. :P

Oh, and hold the phone. It's compatible with Wii games, but will use an all new controller? Huh. Hopefully this means Wiimotes will connect to the system much like Gamecube controllers connect to the Wii, and not that a dude was making up rumors and made a flaw.

LuWiiGi

LuWiiGi said:

I think a controller with a kind of screen could work. Just think, it could be a keyboard, or a classic controller, or a HUD, or something else...it's a great idea - I'm certainly excited for this.

Henmii

Henmii said:

"They're supposed to release it at the end of 2012. So we'll likely just get a small dose at E3 this year. I would bet the majority of the coverage will happen at E3 2012"

Yeah, it has come to my attention now. In that case it is possible that it will be revealed this E3. Maybe just the console and it's controller. And maybe at E3 2012 we see the first footage of the games.

SunnySnivy

SunnySnivy said:

Dang it. How much money is Nintendo going to get from me this time?

I don't like the screen on the controller idea though. It sounds weird, and gimmicky. BUT, I said the same thing about the 3D on the 3DS, and it was the opposite. So.... we'll see. I actually just got a Wii this Christmas so I will probably wait a while on the next console too.