Nintendo Download: 19th December (North America)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Knytt Underground, Classic Konami, 3D Sega and more

It's that time again, North America, when we can calm down from Nintendo Direct madness and consider the week's download options; this is the last pre-Christmas update, too. This week brings us new offerings on the Wii U and 3DS eShop platforms, with plenty of diversity and styles to choose from. Without further pre-amble let's get right to it.

Wii U eShop

Knytt Underground (Ripstone, $12.99) — The work of well-known Indie developer Nifflas, this title makes the jump from various other platforms onto the Wii U. Perhaps unlike any other download game on the system to date, it looks set to be an atmospheric experience that requires exploration and curiosity, as well as manipulation of various abilities — including a ball form. This also includes extra 'Hype Infinity' content that was previously PC-only; until our review is ready you can check out our extended developer interview in part one and part two.

Wii U Virtual Console

Castlevania (Konami, $4.99) — This NES beginning of a classic Konami franchise makes its way to the Wii U, bringing its trademark difficulty and classic music along for the adventure. While it naturally has rough 8-bit edges, this may be worthwhile for fans keen to revisit the beginnings of the iconic Konami franchise; you can check out our Castlevania 3DS Virtual Console review to learn more.

Wii U eShop Temporary Discounts

Little Inferno (Tomorrow Corporation, $4.99 until 2nd January, normally $9.99)

Wii U eShop Demo

Nano Assault Neo (Shin'en Multimedia, free)

3DS eShop

3D Streets of Rage (SEGA, $5.99) — This sidescrolling beat-'em-up is likely to be familiar to many gamers of the early '90s, with its sequel also being memorable. The act of walking the streets and beating up any and all thugs in the way is self explanatory but can certainly be fun; we'll see whether this does the original justice in our review.

3D Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master (SEGA, $5.99) — It's more sidescrolling action, but this time around with some jumping and ninja moves thrown in. The Shinobi franchise is certainly a retro favourite for Sega fans in the Nintendo Life team, and the company opts to bring us the third in the series for this 3D remake. We'll summon our inner ninja to bring you a review.

Banana Bliss: Jungle Puzzles (Teyon, $3.99) — This looks like a rather cheerful puzzle game in which you navigate your character (Morris the monkey) through plenty of quick-fire, short levels to rescue his "beloved sweetheart" Molly. There are apparently over 300 levels, so we'll swing into action with our review.

Winter Sports 2012: Feel the Spirit (Teyon, $9.99) — Originally released way back in January 2012 as a retail title, this arrives on the download store still sporting its original 2012 name. No doubt released to capitalise on buzz for the Winter Olympics early next year, this lands at a reduced price and earned a reasonable recommendation in our original Winter Sports 2012: Feel the Spirit review.

3DS Virtual Console

Crash'n The Boys Street Challenge (Arcsystem Works, $4.99) — This is actually the first time this game has had the Virtual Console treatment in Europe, and could turn heads with its peculiar premise. It takes sporting events and adds a "street" twist for the competing teams, which seems to be that they fight a lot. We'll take another look, but we were left underwhelmed in our Wii Virtual Console Crash'n The Boys Street Challenge review.

3DS eShop Demo

Brunch Panic (CIRCLE Entertainment, free)

World Conqueror 3D (CIRCLE Entertainment, free)

That's everything for this week, North America. Let us know what you plan to download in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (268 votes)

Knytt Underground (Wii U eShop)

Castlevania (Wii U Virtual Console)

Little Inferno (Wii U eShop temporary discount)

3D Streets of Rage (3DS eShop)

16%

3D Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master (3DS eShop)

Banana Bliss: Jungle Puzzles (3DS eShop)

Winter Sports 2012: Feel the Spirit (3DS eShop)

Crash'n The Boys Street Challenge (3DS Virtual Console)

Just demo content for me

14%

Nothing for me this week

41%

Please login to vote in this poll.

SNES4Life

SNES4Life said:

Well Nintendo just got $20 bucks from me... NES Remix plus castlevania Wii U!!!

Alshain01

Alshain01 said:

Still no A Link to the Past. Not buying another thing from the eShop until NoA stops screwing around.

zeldazero

zeldazero said:

I seriously think they want the North American VC for the Wii U to fail...Just because Europe Wii U sales aren't the greatest doesn't mean you give them the best games to try to sell more consoles while giving your loyal fans in America the shaft...no Link to the past or Mario 3 still...

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

Not much of a pre-christmas selection. Oh well, I'm still engrossed in pokemon and Animal Crossing.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

Well.....nothing for me this week.....I have plenty to purchase after Christmas anyway and now all the hype about NES Remix......I need to add funds to the eshop

X_mirage_X

X_mirage_X said:

I will likely get NES Remix, but I am with the others that won't be buying any VC stuff until they loosen their grip on the first party stuff!

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

Yeah. There's pretty much nothing on VC that I would consider buying before A Link to the Past, now that I know it's been localized.

So pass.

ACK

ACK said:

Crash N Boys? Really? Of all the games to choose from? Now if Zanac never gets released on the 3DS VC... I shudder at the thought of an unholy existence were I can play Crash N Boys on the go 'til the end of days, but never Zanac.

Gotta say, after checking the European discounts, I was kinda banking on saving some dough on some Christmas downloads. Oh well.

Zach

Zach said:

Renegade Kid posted they were starting a big EShop sale today?

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

This week sucks. I was hoping that Nintendogs + Cats would be available. I hope that next week will be better. Ahhh who am I kidding? It will probably suck too.

shigulicious

shigulicious said:

I was hoping a similar lineup as Europe but man, the lack of discounts. Why can't NA receive the love Reggie? It's like NOA is trying to preserve a profit margain. But it's Christmas time! I'm spending more money on XBL. I planned on getting Star Wars Pinball and Nano Assault on the WiiU if it was on sale here. Again, XBL is getting into my wallet today. Instead of some video tribute to us loyal fans at the end of the Direct, Im pretty certain everyone would prefer getting rewarded with their loyalty with, I dunno, discounts. gets off soapbox

daveh30

daveh30 said:

Dang... I was really hoping we'd get the Toki Tori 2+ sale that EU got...

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

NA had better get Link to the Past soon. Europe already has it, and so does Japan i believe. I'm chomping at the bit to play it on the GamePad for just $1.50.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

Castlevania is ok... i would have rathered Mario Bros. 3, I at least hope it gets released with EU but i am fine with the Wii U releases for this week as we have some great stuff added yesterday.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

@WiiDSmoker There are lots of discounts going on right now. Nintendo Life should do an article updating everyone on all that is on sale. All Renegade Kids and Nano Assault Neo I know are on sale, among others going on until the end of the year.

farore311

farore311 said:

no... where is a link to the past. I can understand we haven't got bravely default for "maybe" localization and distribution issues. but come on nintendo, a vc game already out on the wii and localized more than 20 years ago.It's probably the matter of the press of a button. And then it might also be a marketing strategy to avoid alienating a link between worlds sales.

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

Castlevania is one of my all-time favorite NES classics... a shame it will get buried beneath angry comments about not being ALTTP.
I agree, where's our Link?! But I can't deny CV is a fantastic game.
Still, what's up, Nintendo? Unless you bust out Zelda 3 and SMB3 on Dec. 26th in the US you'll have some mighty peeved fans.

GuitarAnthony

GuitarAnthony said:

Europe gets Life Force and NA gets Crash and the Boys? Grrr...

Least I have the last 2 Sega 3D games forthcoming.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

@TonyBoySP I agree with you totally. Picked up Mega Man I on that $2 sale a few days ago, but we need the rest of them on 3DSVC ASAP

JustinH

JustinH said:

I'll be busy with NES Remix. Those who don't have Little Inferno should consider it ar $5.

Caryslan

Caryslan said:

If I did not have one of those Genesis portables, I would be get either Streets of Rage or Shinobi III:) Not a bad week, although I wonder where SMB 3 is. Will it be this year's Christmas Virtual Console game?

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

I am curious as to how the Virtual Console will "fail". Will it be one of those things that will be discontinued?

Caryslan

Caryslan said:

@sleepinglion I'm getting the feeling A Link To The Past and Super Mario Bros 3 will be the Christmas Week Virtual Console games. I think in 2009 the Wii VC got Super Smash Bros and in 2010, it got Mario Party 2. It seems like Nintendo is saving at least one of those games for the Christmas Update.

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

Underground and Castlevania for me. Though the timing of Castlevania seems a little out of season. <_<

ericwithcheese2

ericwithcheese2 said:

I'm getting 3D Streets of Rage, but for a pre-Christmas week, this selection is kind of disappointing. I'm hoping for a big week next week as Nintendo will know many 3DS's and Wii U's will be opened for the holiday. Hopefully, they will offer a lot of great content next Thursday, including SMB3.

NImH

NImH said:

I just saw a great episode of The Backlog with Joe Walker on Crash and the Boys. It looks like a fun game so I'll probably be swooping on that this week.

Mr_Nose

Mr_Nose said:

Shinobi 3 and Streets of Rage? Oh God, yes!

Bummer, can't download 'em yet. Soon, my pretties... soon.

maxcriden

maxcriden said:

Hi,

When can we expect the Knytt Underground review? I'm eager to pick it up but really hoping for a review first. Thanks!

Zemus-DJ

Zemus-DJ said:

No life force? :( sad panda! From a stand point I knew Nintendo would hold out till the 26th in hopes all the little kiddies will take the plunge for smb3.

Japan got final fantasy NES (hard type) for 3ds today hoping we get that soon! Still waiting for castlevania II and hope to see some DQ loving soon.

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

Nothing for me from that list, but I will be picking up NES Remix this weekend. We still have a little time left in the year (what 2 weeks?) so perhaps we will still see SMB3 before 2014 arrives. I doubt we will get Link to the Past anytime soon, so I'll just stop holding my breath and enjoy Link Between Worlds.

khululy

khululy said:

I just downloaded the 3D classics and I can say I am impressed with how well they are done once again. I was kinda worried how Streets of rage was going to turn out but it's wonderfull. M2 did an Amazing job on these games and I am hoping part 2 will see a Western release as well.

james_squared

james_squared said:

Nothing listed above, but I purchased NES Remix yesterday and I will probably pick up Wii Sports Club Golf.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@Mrclaycoat

I kid you not when I tell you I am dying for my working day to end today so I can go back home to play it. I know the price tag is scaring people away, but I can see getting many hours out of this one. There are dozens of challenges (trailer says over 200 stages), and if you are OCD affected you will want to have all stages with three stars and all stamps for Miiverse. Easier said than done.

A true love letter to retro fans. As @SetupDisk mentions in the review, no one who has downloaded it has regretted paying its entry fee.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

That's disappointing. I was hoping for a big Christmas sale, perhaps with similar discounts to what Europe's getting, more than one non-VC eshop game, and, though it's been said many times already, A Link to the Past.

Also, what happened to all the games that were supposed to come to the eshop by the end of the year? There's only one more Thursday in 2013, and all we've gotten these last few months are the Two Tribes ports, Mysterious Cities of Gold, and now Knytt Underground. I'm not complaining about those games, but weren't there supposed to be a LOT more?

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Why does Nintendo waste its time on making brand-new games in universally-loved franchises when all people want are old games released twenty years ago?? Who cares about 3D World and Link Between Worlds. The people demand LttP and SMB3!
(...)

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@JustinH Cannot imagine it is better value than the current humble bundle version. (Steam and Android and the beat the average is less than just that with loads.

ACK

ACK said:

@NImH Please don't. It's junk, through and through. Hardly functioning junk. It's made to be played with friends, but you'll just chase them off if you give them the controller and tell them to play Crash N Boys. Your money is far better spent elsewhere...

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

@LittleIrves Yeah, why would anyone want to play the game that spawned the sequel, or the game that introduced all the game mechanics that the current one builds upon?

At least in my case, I just want the simplicity of not having to use the TV and Wii mode to play them.

Ryno

Ryno said:

@Klimbatize: LOL!

If I had a 3DS I would pick up those 3DS classics for sure. I will pick up Castlevania for Wii U VC sometime soon, such a classic.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

I'll wait for the Knytt Underground reviews. Got too much on my plate right now, so I'm not in a hurry.

JJtheTexan

JJtheTexan said:

For those bargain-hunting, I heartily recommend Little Inferno. It's a charming, inventive, clever and addictive game and well worth $5! My only complaint: there is little-to-no replay value.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

Shinobi III is one of the best games ever made. You're doing yourself a disservice if you don't pick it up.

Personally, I seem to not be getting the discount for Castlevania showing up, so I'll be waiting for that on my Wii U.

grumblegrumble

grumblegrumble said:

They should offer Super Mario Bros Deluxe to us in NA! Even at a price of $4.99 for a 3DS VC title, I'm sure we would all buy it anyways (even though Europe gets it for free.)

element187

element187 said:

@shigulicious you do realize Nintendo doesn't choose the price or sales of third party content, right? If pinball tables are not on sale, it has nothing to do with NOA or Nintendo.

Also all of the VC donkey kong games were on sale last week. Thanksgiving weekend all of the VC Mario games were on sale.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Wii U finally gets a demo and it isn't WW HD or Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympics (both demos are available in Target) it's Nano Assault Neo. No offense to Shinen but I think Nintendo can do a little bit better than that.

Oh well, it's a demo, its free, and Christmas is a week away.

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

@StraTTtheRipper I thought so, too, but the game is an absolute blast (and an addictive one at that). I've yet to encounter one player with buyer's remorse. It's just a wonderful title.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

It was just confirmed on Miiverse that both regions are getting Zen Pinball 2 sales! I'm so happy as now I can get them all!

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@ThomasBW84 You can check my Miiverse for the sale confirmation for Zen Pinball in both regions! I think an update is in order. Maybe it will quite a few here lol!

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

So, I downloaded Castlevania on Wii Virtual Console previously, and despite that I'm not receiving the usual discount on the eShop that I'm supposed to get for the VC upgrade. It wants to charge me full price for it. I'm not paying $5 for a game I already paid $5 for, so I went ahead and finally upgraded Super Castlevania IV for $1.50.

But until Nintendo fixes that issue I guess I won't be getting Castlevania. Is anyone else having that problem?

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

55% don't want NES Castlevania, Knytt Underworld, 3D Streets of Rage, OR 3D Shinobi this week? For anyone who's curious, BOTH of the 3D Classics this week are amazing and must-buy items, especially 3D Streets of Rage! It's a really good game and great for those who are unfamiliar with Beat-Them-Up type of games. Enjoy!

Nico07

Nico07 said:

@zeldazero Exactly, Iwata keeps hinting at Super Mario 3 (which should arrive next week). I've been waiting for A Link to the Past (and Super Mario Kart) since the eShop launched in January. Who knows if N64 or Gamecube content will ever materialize. Also when is the US going to get the extended GamePad battery pack? Its been available virtually everywhere else in the world for months now. And finally an option for using a second Gamepad has been talked about but hopefully shows in 2014. Rant done.

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

@TreesenHauser I was just about to post on this. Yep, I'm having the same issue. So are a lot of folks on Miiverse.

It happened to me a while back with Zelda 1. I purchased it without looking at the price (knowing I owned it on the Wii's VC) and realized later I'd been charged 4.99. It took Nintendo two weeks to issue me a refund and I had to speak with four different customer service reps.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

I take back part of my earlier complaint. There are actually quite a few games on sale that simply aren't listed here. On the 3DS Nicalis appears to be having a sale on their games (Ikachan, Cave Story, Nightsky, and VVVVVV), as are Circle and Renegade Kid. Most of the Guild games are on sale too, and Project X Zone is only $15! On the Wii U there's Toki Tori 1 and 2, Pinball, Trine 2, Little Inferno, Nano Assault, Giana Sisters, and Mutant Mudds. I still wish we had the Cloudberry and Ducktales sale that Europe has, but I'll be getting some great games this week anyway.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

Is there any word on why NES Castlevania isn't offering the discount for those who own it on their Wii VC?

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

3D Streets of Rage, all the way! One of the best beat em ups there is, i even prefered it over it's sequel. Most likely due to the fact that the original was the first of it's kind and holds a special place in my heart like most 'early' genesis games. Oh and can't forget about Shinobi III 3D, i'll have to give that one a whirl down the yelllow brick road.

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

To those of you saying this is a disappointing week: How is it disappointing? Sure, not a whole lot was added other than the 3D Sega Classics and Knytt Underground (plus NES Remix and Sports Club Golf from yesterday), but there are a TON of good games on sale from now through early January.

Project X Zone is only $15 right now ($35 is the normal price). All of the Guild games (Liberation Maiden, Crimson Shroud, etc) are only $5. The Nicalis games (VVVVVV, Cave Story, etc) are on sale too. Cave Story almost never goes on sale, and its $7 at the moment. Renegade Kid games like Mutant Mudds are also on sale.

Anyway, I have no clue as to what I want to pick up. The Mutant Mudds, Cave Story, and Project X Zone sales are extremely tempting, but I also want to pick up either 3D Streets of Rage or 3D Shinobi III. Can't choose.

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

Nothing for me this week, but the background music on the eShop is sure damn catchy. Was holding out for Zelda... perhaps next week.

ogo79

ogo79 said:

and i too was going to upgrade castlevania to my wii u vc, hopefully they will fix this soon

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

Grabbing Both Sega 3D classics, Crash & Boys, Banana Bliss, and both 3DS demos tomorrow. I might grab a few discounted games as well. I can't believe how many games are on sale at the same time, I'm lovin' it!

speedyboris

speedyboris said:

I went on the store and Castlevania was $4.99 even though I bought it on Wii. Um, please fix it, Nintendo?

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

I wish the Project X Zone discount would come to Europe. Would be an instabuy for 15€.

3D Streets of Rage is great, I wonder how long will it take for the best part, the second one to come out since M2 an Sega are churning these out 2 games per week.

meltendo

meltendo said:

Got Streets of Rage and again I'm impressed with what Sega is doing. Nintendo on the other hand...I'm starting to think they believe in pushing only their big releases like Smash Brothers and leaving us high and dry in between those major event games. Boo. We'll be forced to play on other machines.

MrSpellyness

MrSpellyness said:

I think Nintendo is releasing VC at too slow of a pace, especially considering that most of the releases are playable on wii. They need to pick up the pace. At this rate it will take years before they move everything to Wii U and start with new titles. We still haven't see a single GBC title on VC even though they said they would release some a year ago.

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

@LittleIrves At least with the SNES releases I am finding that it is a sweet spot for my nostalgia. There is just something about the 16-bit era that hits home for me. But then I still have a soft spot for EGA and VGA graphic games, especially Sierra ones.

The NES games I get partially for nostalgia, but the reason was better summed up and shown by the experience of Retro Game Challenge on DS (man, I miss that game). There was just something magical about gaming pre-internet and it's great to go back and visit it every now and then.

But I will agree with you, that I am not a huge fan of paying full price for the privilege with each console. Which is why most of my Virtual Console games come from Club Nintendo Rewards.

3dcaleb

3dcaleb said:

the new pac man game is half price too. ($19.99 discounted from $39.99) i wish they would have reviwed it, im not sure if its worth getting. anyone played it? how is it? theres so many games on sale im going to have to ask for e-shop cards for christmas.