Nintendo Download: 31st July (North America)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

XType, music, Mega Man battles, Steel Empire and more

It's Nintendo Download Update time, North America, and this week serves up a decent number of new games on both Wii U and 3DS, along with a Game Boy Advance Mega Man title. Throw in some discounts and a free demo and there's a decent selection this week, so let's get to it.

Missed the European Nintendo Download Update earlier this week? That was silly of you! Worry not, the details are right here.

Wii U eShop

XType Plus (PhobosLab, $2.99 / $2.99 CAD) — (Update: This title has been delayed due to a major bug that's been discovered in Europe, and is now unavailable in both NA and EU) This shoot 'em up comes courtesy of the Nintendo Web Framework, with PhobosLab also developing its own engine to allow easy coding in the platform. This has always looked like one of the most impressive titles from the service, visually, while it gives a rare chance to play a new shooter on the Wii U; we'll blast away some enemies for our review.

Frederic: Resurrection of Music (Forever Entertainment S. A., $5.99) — Previously released on PC and smart device platforms, this is a music adventure game that certainly has an intriguing style; it promises "megatons of humor" and over an hour of animated comic footage, while a dozen remixes of classical music are included. We'll check out the rhythm in this for our upcoming review.

IQ Test (Ninja Pig Studios, introductory price of $3.99 / $3.99 CAD, normally $4.99) — This is a multiplayer party game in which you try to prove or raise your IQ with various challenges; we'll try to prove our brainpower in a review.

Wii U Virtual Console

Mega Man Battle Network (Capcom, $7.99 / $7.99CAD) — Announced a good while ago, this Game Boy Advance title finally arrives on the Wii U, and it's the first entry in one of the most diverse Mega Man spin-offs that Capcom produced. An action RPG, we'll get blasting in this one to let you know what we think.

Wii U eShop Price Reduction

Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag (Ubisoft, $29.99 from 4th August, previously $39.99)

3DS eShop

Steel Empire (Teyon, $29.99 / $29.99CAD) — Long awaited in the Nintendo Life office, which is a pity as it's based in the UK, this remaster of the Sega Genesis shooter has plenty of improvements on what some consider to be a cult classic. You can check out our preview and comparison video while you wait for our review.

Tangram Attack (Square One Games Inc, $2.99 / $2.99CAD) — This certainly looks like an intriguing title, as fast-paced slicing on the touch screen has the purpose of clearing tangram shapes on the top screen. A concept that's proved popular in other formats, we'll see how this eShop version shapes up.

3DS Retail Download

LEGO Ninjago: Nindroids (WB Games, $29.99 / $29.99CAD)

3DS eShop Temporary Discounts

Darts Up 3D (EnjoyUp Games, $0.99 / $0.99CAD until 20th August, normally $2.99 / $2.99CAD)

Sweet Memories Blackjack (CIRCLE Entertainment, $2.79 / $3.09CAD until 21st August, normally $3.99 / $3.99CAD)

Wakedas (CIRCLE Entertainment, $1.99 / $2.19CAD until 21st August, normally $2.99 / $3.09CAD)

3DS eShop Demo

Cubit The Hardcore Platformer (CoderChild, free)

That's your lot, North America. Let us know what you plan to download in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (277 votes)

XType Plus (Wii U eShop)

Frederic: Resurrection of Music (Wii U eShop)

IQ Test (Wii U eShop)

Mega Man Battle Network (Wii U Virtual Console)

28%

Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag (Wii U eShop permanent discount)

Steel Empire (3DS eShop)

Tangram Attack (3DS eShop)

LEGO Ninjago: Nindroids (3DS retail download)

Darts Up 3D (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Sweet Memories Blackjack (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Wakedas (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Just the Cubit demo for me

Nothing for me this week

46%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

Oh Sh*t! Megaman Battle Network. My little brother is going to be so happy about this. He was a huge fan of this iteration of Megaman as a kid but he never played the first entry.

gabopr75

gabopr75 said:

Megaman Battle Network for me. Man I wiished we got the Pokemon TCG or pokemon Pinball RS, or a Yugioh gba game (dungeon dice Monssters or Sacred Cards any one really). We can dream.

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

Nothing for me this week, finally arrived to the Shovel Knight party yesterday so I can't really spare anymore cash for now.

Olmectron

Olmectron said:

XType for me. I've got 5 dollars left in my account. Would choose Megaman if I had more money.

Nimious

Nimious said:

Mega Man Battle Network was part of my childhood :O. I'm so happy to see it come to the Wii U. Maybe I'll get it again for another play through. It sure has been long enough :].

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Steel Empire is too expensive and you can find a physical copy of AC IV for half that so it's a blah week.

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

Hmmm, interested in Steel Empire, but can't afford a game that price right now. Tangrams also sounds interesting, but I'm not sure about it yet. Likely nothing for me this week.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

sigh.... at least we finally got Battle network but... why no Megaman 5 and 6 either? Europe got all 3 released at the same time but NA only gets one... This is just pathetic. Wii U might be my last Nintendo console.

Discipledoctor

Discipledoctor said:

Well, I can finally shut up because the greatest series in the world has finally landed on Wii U.

My bet for the August games are MM 5, 6, 7, and X3. Maybe Zero or Battle Chip Challenge.

But HOLY CRAP ITS FINALLY HEREEEEE
Gotta haul drywall with my grandpa and then it's time once again. What a glorious day.

Gen0neD

Gen0neD said:

XType for me. Really want Steel Empire, but not for 30 bucks. 15 dollars maximum. Until then, nope.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

Nothing for me this week. I can just play AC4 and Wind Waker HD. This way I can save my money for other things.

Caryslan

Caryslan said:

For once, I'm happy that there is nothing really good coming out this week to the 3DS. There's nothing this week that will compete with my money, so I can feel better getting Nazo no Murasame Jō next week!

ECMIM

ECMIM said:

Steel Empire...for $30...for a slightly buffed remake of a (solid, but not great--it sure as hell isn't a Gaiares, TFIV, or MUSHA) shooter from 1992...what am I missing here?? A desire to make sure no other shooters are ever brought to eShop?? Did someone at Teyon cut this deal while on a 3-day bender and agreed to a mil up front?? Sales are going to be severely depressed if a shoot 'em up junkie like me--with no money issues--is balking at the MSRP.

(I mean, for God's sake, Kokuga was $15 and was a full retail release in Japan!)

MAB

MAB said:

Playing XType now. High difficulty which I like... They need to patch the online leaderboard because it keeps crashing so don't use that feature yet ;)

blaze8937

blaze8937 said:

Nothing unfortunately.... I would consider battle network but I still have my original cartridge

Tsusasi

Tsusasi said:

Steel Empire would have been an instant purchase for me at $20 or less… and then they lost their freakin' minds. $30 for a remake? For shooter that, as with most Shmups, doesn't last all that long and has middling replay value at best? Yeeeeeeeeaaaaah… did they even take a look at what their competition is at that price point? Or even less for that matter?

Oh well. I'll throw my original cartridge in my Nomad and play away until there's a sale.

mrchills

mrchills said:

Still no N64, let alone Gamecube. Considering the WII could play these games, I suppose the WII U is the first more recent console that has less capabilities than the consoles before it. And please don't say I could play n64 games on the wii u if I go into "wii" mode. I need to get batteries for my wiimote, and I cant use my awesome wii u controller. I remember a few months ago there was a big story on this site about how n64 games were "rated" for virtual console. I knew they were just pulling ourchains. Why must you torment me so Nintendo?

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@ikki5 There is all that stuff you got in Mega May. The GB / GBC Megaman stuff. I have the same interest in the Letter as in Pokemon.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

@unrandomsaand you guys got similar things as well. For example, what is happening right now with the NES remix that we don't have. The difference with this is you guys get great deals and we got games for the 3DS (which i got none of them). Personally I'd rather the massive sale

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

Nothing for me. I'll get Steel Empire when it sinks to $15 or less, although even $15 is a bit high for me. I think $10 is that game's sweet spot.

TheBigK

TheBigK said:

I'm actually shopping around for the Mega Man Battle Network original cart to add to my small GBA collection. If I can't find it for a decent price, I may pick it up on the eShop.

HyperSonicEXE

HyperSonicEXE said:

Hm. MMBN2 and MMBN3 were better, but I just gotta vote with my dollars - MM needs support, and money is the only way to get Capcom to listen.
Also, this series is what the EXE in my username is a reference to! It's that good.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

@ikki5
Wow, no Mega Man games is what makes you not want a Nintendo system? All the things wrong with Nintendo platforms and THAT is the nail in the coffin, an emulation? Wow.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

@brandonbwii No, the garbage support for it makes it crap. Like come on, we have to wait 3-6 months for a quality retail game, abysmal VC services, massive delays, The horrible decisions and the worst kind of ID system you can get, and the constant talk of improving things and then nothing happens. remember last year they acknowledged that they knew the VC was poor and that they would improve it? Well, they havn't done much. We'd get the few odd week of stuff and then back to complete crap. The least they could do is get the digital releases, push and convince others to port their games to the Wii U ( and 3DS but it has a great library) and VC better as that would be next to nothing to do compared everything else. This is all just adding to the nails in the coffin.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Please let X-Type Be good, please let X-Type be good.... buying this if reviews are good, obviously.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Xtype since the premise reminds me of EnbornX on Android. And holy moly Steel Empire's expensive O_O

Cyberbotv2

Cyberbotv2 said:

@mrchills : this is a legitimate gripe. Where the hell are those DS games they promised? Where are the genesis games? Why haven't they unified the account system yet? I'm actually finding myself getting turned off by all the promises. We've heard jack since E3. And the competition is looking better and better every day.

Cosats

Cosats said:

Please, be aware that X-Type + has a severe crashing bug that somehow escaped from both the developer's and Nintendo's tests. The developer already contacted Nintendo. Better buy it after a confirmation is announced that everything is working properly.

Stu13

Stu13 said:

Did NOA forget that we never got Nightmare In Dreamland? Someone should remind them.

DragonbornRito

DragonbornRito said:

@argh4430 It's just the one thing that I've been hoping for to come over here since it came out in Europe. Even just a "We're working on it" or "It's on its way" would be awesome.

I don't understand the way you put that. Felt like some venom in those words. Like I'm part of a plague or something. It was a tongue-in-cheek internet comment with tongue-in-cheek internet wording. I've never not been satisfied being a Nintendo fan. Oh well, maybe you didn't mean much by it and I'm the one reading too much into it. XD Wouldn't be the first time. Thank you, internet!

mike_intv

mike_intv said:

What happened to Ice Cream Surfer?
Wasn't that supposed to be out in NA this week as well?

ECMIM

ECMIM said:

X-Type has been yanked from the eShop, no doubt because of the bug.

shane1228

shane1228 said:

Steel Empire for $30, wha wha what? I figured it would be like $8.99 at the most. Good luck moving any copies at that price...

FlaygletheBagel

FlaygletheBagel said:

@Cyberbotv2 Well said. I'm with you there. I love Nintendo, but the VC on 3DS/Wii U is one of the worst services I've ever seen. They keep overpromising and underdelivering.

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

For reference, as was with the Letter, Frederic's journey to Canada seems to have been delayed.
Whether the game makes it North or not is beside the point: the fact there is any divide between Nintendo of America and Nintendo Canada is infuriating.
Thankfully, it's only been indie titles thus far.

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

MM 5, 6, X3 and Battlechip Challenge.
Sorry NL, Nintendo Everything beat you to it.
No 7, but X3 is confirmed.

Captain_Gonru

Captain_Gonru said:

@Spoony_Tech Maybe call it a glimpse of the digital-only future. Though, at that point, why run the sale at all? It's not like you have a choice, assuming you want the game at all.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

On the one hand I'm jealous we haven't got Steel Empire 3DS in Europe yet but on the other, I'm not prepared to shell out 30 bucks for it anyway when you can get the likes of Gate Of Thunder on Wii VC for under £7. We did get Pop N Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adventures on our VC today at least and I'm happy with that for now :)

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

I have $25 eShop credit just sitting there, so I may get Mega Man Battle Network. Steel Empire looks fun... but not for $30. lol

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

Nothing again...

Waiting for these title's to hit the Price Drop Section in the 3DS E-Shop:

Life With Horses - 3DS
Madagascar/Crood's Combo Pack - 3DS (Europe already got a sale on this title in the 3ds e-shop a while back not understanding why the US hasn't yet.. :( Considering only 3 people have rated the game with star's in the US 3ds e-shop...

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

2Sang

2Sang said:

Decent week for Wii U crap for 3ds. I've officially lost the intense hype from e3, so a direct within the next week or 2 would be nice to re-inflate my hype balloon.

2Sang

2Sang said:

@WaLzgi yeah. Megaman BN is good or at least I've heard that. When I pick up a wii u, I'll most likely pick this up

EDIT: Sorry I thought you meant that because the vc this was a good week. My hype has just slowly decreased since e3, but to an extent hype was bound to fall. They haven't had any major good news since e3 for me aside from Robin and Takamaru being released on 3ds eshop. I'm expecting a mid-size direct around 1-2 weeks now.

They should announce another vet for ssb4 to keep the fans hyped while they work on making a direct for the next few weeks.

Windy

Windy said:

Sorry Teyon. You are out of your ever loving minds! Good luck selling that steel empire at that price. I'm shocked actually. I was thinking at most 14.99 . let's see how many people rate it in the Eshop within the next month. I'm betting less than 30.

WindWakerLink

WindWakerLink said:

YES!!! The Original Mega Man Battle Network!!!!

Lan: "Battle chips in! Download!"

Mega Man: "Let's do it Lan!"

Getting this tonight!!! This game came out sooner than I thought. I'm still in the middle of Golden Sun which is a AMAZING GAME!!!!

KryptoKrunch

KryptoKrunch said:

Xtype for me(I'm really liking that price for a game that sounds pretty good).

Fingers crossed for a sale on Steel Empire later.

S3OL

S3OL said:

Totally unrelated but Shovel Knight needs to hurry his metal ass to the UK eShop.

Second, I've never tried Battle Network but I'm a huge Megaman fan so that needs to be changed.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@ikki5

It's coming in August where they'll be releasing a Mega Man game every week of the month.

If you feel that's reason enough to warrant stopping playing Nintendo games, well, Idk what to tell you.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

No new Wiiware this time?? just kidding, but i´m waiting the review of Karaoke Joysound.

I will download IQ Test and Megaman.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

@JaxonH yeah, they are releasing them in August... but yet at the same time, if you look at it with Europe, they got them all one one day and with the way the VC releases work, that megaman game will most likely be the only title released on the day so pretty much, they are spreading them out over all making it so they can do less releases and less work.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@ikki5

Ya I hear ya, but Idk, it's just old games so to me I'm just not that bothered by it. I'm happy when they come, and I snatch em up, but I've waited 15+ years not playing many of these VC releases, what's another couple weeks ya know?

With that said, I do see Europe getting much better VC than NA, such as Mario Kart SNES still MIA for example. But it's whatever. Like I said, these games have been out over a decade so, it's not exactly like I need to play them right this second...

paburrows

paburrows said:

So how does Mega Man Battles compare to Final Fantasy Tactics or any or the Advance Wars games?

odd69

odd69 said:

Battle Network is kinda fun, i will be rebuying this as i dont have my original cartridge anymore, or was it the DS version i had? hmm well its still a insta-buy

ikki5

ikki5 said:

@JaxonH The reason I am bothered with it is that they should be chunking these out at a rather quick pace, especially if they are just going to dish out the quality retail titles out once every 4 or 5 months. But instead it is one title a week that most of the time, no one cares about. They told us that they would improve it but over all, they haven't.

mr_nihilism

mr_nihilism said:

I seriously thought the price for Steel Empire was a typo, but nope, it's for real. No way. Just no way.

Depeche

Depeche said:

Wow, 29.99 for steel empire, oh well divert funds to iTunes again. Isn't this an old genesis game?

joey302

joey302 said:

Nintendo of America continues to suck on a weekly basis!!! Japan getting close to 200 wii u vc titles to choose from!! How Did this happen? Because they get 4-5 vc titles a week not 1 a week for a year and a half!! I really don't understand the friggin problem!! The vc service has soooo much potential!! Horrible horrible horrible!!! And where the hell is SEGA???

meltendo

meltendo said:

This is insane...NOW is the time for Nintendo to release more VC games on the 3DS while everyone is waiting for Fall to come around for all of the big releases. My gut feeling is they really want their fans to buy Mario Kart 8 and a Wii U at this time--cutting off new releases on the 3DS puts more focus on the Wii U. They must not realize it makes buyers like me start to look at the PS4 and the Xbox One more positively.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@ikki5

Right, I just don't let VC stuff bother me. Except for DKC trilogy. I'm still freaking out for those games. I'm really more excited for indie games than VC. Again, except for DKC. I finally said screw it I'll just play em on my Wii.

Kilroy

Kilroy said:

@B3ND3R Not for $30 for a remake that, while the original was well received, was not without fault. Kokuga was a retail release in Japan and that debuted here for only $15. That was the maximum amount I was willing to pay, especially for a game from a company who I don't put in the highest regard...

Cyberbotv2

Cyberbotv2 said:

@joey302 : Wait, what?! I didn't know Japan had that many VC games out there. This is ridiculous. Do they realize that mostly hardcore Nintendo loyalists own the Wii U? Not having a beefed up VC is a death knell moving forward.

joey302

joey302 said:

@Cyberbotv2 Dude it's ridiculous! Japan has 184 as of now...highlights include 14 turbographx 16 games....super Mario kart....and a bunch of final fantasy titles! Ugh!! I don't understand it at all. Lol check out last weeks NL eshop post and catch my rage :-(

DeltaPeng

DeltaPeng said:

Megaman battle network is an amazing series (MMBN1 and 3 are the best, 2 is also good). I think it's strikes a stronger chord if you've played at least some of the original Megaman games, but still a solid experience.

Cathousemaster

Cathousemaster said:

Hi - can I ask someone to check whether "Flowerworks HD" has been reduced in price this week on the NOA e-store? It was supposed to have been reduced from $6 to $4 - but its almost impossible for us to check, and I haven't had confirmation from Nintendo yet. Thanks :)

argh4430

argh4430 said:

@DragonbornRito Yeah, sorry about that. I really shouldn't have said anything. I'm just sick of reading threads where all it is is complaints, and yeah, i'm complaining about complaints.

Cathousemaster

Cathousemaster said:

Nintendo have confirmed that the price was adjusted... but it seems the news didn't get out. US sales have a long way before they catch up to Europe sales!

I'll contact NintendoLife, and ask for the price adjustment to be listed for the next week.