Nintendo Download: 16th January (North America)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Unepic, Powered Up F1, double Castlevania and a discount

It's Nintendo Download time, North America, and this week we have rather slim pickings. That said, there are two new offerings on the Wii U eShop, a Konami double on the Virtual Console's and an attractive discount. So, let's get to it.

Wii U eShop

Unepic (EnjoyUp Games, $9.99) — The work of Barcelona-based Francisco Téllez de Meneses, this is a dungeon-filled 2D RPG that promises a great deal of depth with a high number of rooms, potions, weapons and more to explore; it also uses the GamePad for off-TV or as a resource to access items. We'll see whether it's an (un)epic adventure in our upcoming review.

F1 Race Stars: Powered Up Edition (Codemasters, $29.99) — This was originally set to be an early retail release on Wii U, before eventually re-emerging as an eShop-only title due late last year. It now arrives on the grid a little later than expected and promises a light-hearted kart-racing take on the world's richest motor-sport event — the spiel for this promises four extra tracks and bonus accessory packs for this Wii U version. We'll get into gear and bring you a review.

Wii U Virtual Console

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (Konami, $4.99) — When this sequel was released it was a fairly dramatic departure from the original, aiming for a greater sense of adventure and discovery rather than linear stages. To this day it's divisive, and anyone stepping in will likely need to consult Miiverse and online guides to get past some of the more peculiar puzzles; we'll embark on the quest once again, but in the meantime you can check out our Wii Virtual Console Castlevania II: Simon's Quest review.

3DS Virtual Console

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (Konami, $4.99) — Like the Wii U Virtual Console entry, but on the 3DS equivalent; it's the on-the-go option.

3DS eShop Retail Download Discount

Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl (Atlus, $19.99 from 20th to 27th January, normally $39.99)

That's your lot, North America. Let us know what you plan to download in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (369 votes)

Unepic (Wii U eShop)

19%

F1 Race Stars: Powered Up Edition (Wii U eShop)

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (Wii U Virtual Console)

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (3DS Virtual Console)

Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl (3DS retail download temporary discount)

Nothing for me this week

56%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Related Games

Mathieran

Mathieran said:

Does anyone know when the new stuff usually becomes available? I would like to get Unepic some game time this morning, it looks like something right up my alley.

daveh30

daveh30 said:

Interested in F1, but I think I'll wait for a sale. Unepic... doesn't like like my thing, but I'll check out the reviews...

gsmaciel

gsmaciel said:

What a drought on the 3DS eShop... They skipped last week and only one VC game today. And it's not SMB3 :

KillerGBH

KillerGBH said:

UNEPIC is awesome and i recommend it for anyone who seeking for 2D RPG on Wii U. i tried the pc version and this game is amazing but now i wanna play with my gamepad lol ^^

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

You guys should add that Bomb Monkey got a perma price drop from $4.99 to $2.99!

Aloth

Aloth said:

F1 is totally broken on the ps3, maybe they fixed it.
Unepic for me.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

@gsmaciel

Yeah this is defently a drought for the 3ds e-shop. :(

Just tell's me Nintendo doesn't have much to offer in january at all. :(

No downloading again this week. Have to save cash for wii u system anyways but this is riduluous. So far just been putting stuff on wishlist in the 3ds e-shop for time being but there's nothing here this week that would be romotely interesting to me. :(

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

Stu13

Stu13 said:

I love Simon's Quest, warts and all. I will be snagging the 3DS version at approximately 12:01 eastern. Boobooda-do-do-doooo.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Not sure which system i want Castlevania ll on! Is NL reviewing both versions separately?

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@XCWarrior I don't know why NoA doesn't put these discounts in its update, it's rather silly...

@Spoony_Tech I know one of our NA guys is working on Unepic right now, so I'm sure it'll be as soon as they can finish the job. Not 100% sure on whether we're reviewing both Castlevanias, it was only on 3DS in Europe this week. It's possible we'll have separate reviewers.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@MERG Do you have it yet? Oh and i started SMT IV again only to keep getting my butt kicked! So close to the end too. Can't figure out for the life of me how to beat that stupid boss!

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

What a horrible night to have a curse.

I'm gettin' CVII on my Wii U today for a dollar!!! ;)

HeroOfCybertron

HeroOfCybertron said:

I'm getting Castlevania II: Simon's Quest, I'm just not sure what system to get it for though, I can get it for $1.00 on the Wii U but I might just end up getting it for both and I'm interested to see how Unepic is.

MERG

MERG said:

@Spoony_Tech I will get Untold when I get home from work. I can't remember off the top of my head how I beat the last boss of SMT but it was NOT easy. I hope you can get through it so you can put it to rest.

How are you liking the WiiU?

CatMarioUltra

CatMarioUltra said:

Nothing for me this week. I'm still happy with Chibi-Robo!: Photo Finder. Although, I can see we still aren't getting SMB3 after all this time. (Not that I'm surprised, anyways. I'd be surprised if it came out before summer's end at this rate.)

BigH88

BigH88 said:

Waiting for the Unepic review. Maybe NL can change my mind and make a purchase.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@MERG Well i'm still not at the last boss remember.

I'm on it everyday for hours a day lol! Loving every minute of it.

Oh and dl the demo of Chibi Robo, it's surprisingly fun. For 9.99 its looks to be a steal!

MERG

MERG said:

@Spoony_Tech Ooops...I forgot you're not quite there.

Yeah...I love the WiiU. Off TV play has been a godsend for me.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll dl the demo and give it a whirl.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

So instead of SMB3 they are giving us the worst Castlevaina of the NES era.

freaksloan

freaksloan said:

I want F1 Race Stars: Powered Up Edition, but $30 is a little too steep for me right now. Guess will wait for a price drop.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

@Mathieran

They come out 2:00pm AST or 1:00pm EST. I hope that helps.

@daveh30

Actually, they are Noon Central, not EST. they are at 2:00pm AST for me which is 1 hour a head of EST.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Wow lots of hate for Castlevaina II! Its one of my favorite Castlevainas and to me was great. I never had any problems with it and I played it as a kid!

ikki5

ikki5 said:

@TreesenHauser

then you must have a magic console because they are updated on the hour, not the quarter hour. For the last few weeks (at least 6) they have been at 2:00pm AST. I know this because I am at home on my Wii u and at 2:00 I usually browse the E-shop and nothing new shows up there until 2:00pm

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

For everyone who feels it's their civic-gaming duty to forewarn us about Simon's Quest, I've had the cartridge since 1988 plus have it on Wii VC. I'm fully aware of what I'm getting here so u can save the sermon.

ejamer

ejamer said:

Interested to find out more about Unepic. Also thinikng aboutEtrian Odyssey while it's on sale... but haven't gotten through EO4 yet and strongly prefer physical copies when possible, so will probably pass for now.

Oh yeah, and all the Castlevania 2 hate is laughable. The game is hard, and unabashedly old-school... but it's also awesome. Night/day cycles, action RPG, lots of hidden secrets and tricks that you need to figure out to progress. Not for the faint of heart but a fantastic game nonetheless.

TonLoco

TonLoco said:

Wish there was more wii u discounts. I guess January just isn't going to be a great month for either eshops.

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

Oh by the way, it's not like I completely hate Simon's Quest. It's actually alright, but it's simply not one of my favorites of the series. Besides I already have it on Wii VC, so I'll stick with that when I have an itch to check it out again.

farore311

farore311 said:

I won't purchase a thing as long as they keep smb3 and a link to the past, away from my wallet.

Vann

Vann said:

Thats all for the 3DS? no new eShop game? Don't get me wrong, im not bashing on Simon's Quest but to only get that on this week seams pretty weak IMHO.
I mean, january is a slow month for gaming in general, shouldn't it be a time to boost eShop sales with new content? Since reatail games usually don't come out at this time of the year, seams reasonable to me.
Anyway, I just bought 4 games last week between eShop discounts and retail sales so I guess I'll be fine.
Love my 3DS

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

I have officially given up on SMB3 coming to NA on the 3DS. Very slim week, but at least we get Castlevania 2.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@Ernest_The_Crab Its not really a boss but more a quest that has to be done to advance. Its Baal! I've had a pretty easy go up to this point and he keeps destroying me.

I'm sorty not Baal but Beelzebub.

TG1

TG1 said:

Unepic makes great use of the Wii U Game Pa! Very funny too!

tchaten

tchaten said:

Where the heck is A Link to the Past and Super Mario Bros. 3!

What the heck is going on over there at NOA - A Link to the Past was released many weeks ago in Europe and Mario 3 was announced as a 2013 release in a Nintendo direct

#disappointed

daveh30

daveh30 said:

@ikki5 Negative. I'm in the Atlantic Time Zone as well. It updates at 1pm Atlantic, 12 Eastern. Every week. I set my watch by it.

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

It's actually a tempting week for me. Scribblenauts: Unmasked (if $20), Unepic, and Simon's Quest. May have to see what sort of hit the budget can take this week.

daveh30

daveh30 said:

@ikki5
Just saw your other reply to TreesenHauser... if you're logged into the eShop before it updates, stuff doesn't show up right away. if you log out and log in after 1PM AST, it'll be updated.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

Well I hadn't checked it out but since unepic is getting some good recommendations here I'll give it a try. Also atlus is clearly forcing me to buy Etrian.

Vriess

Vriess said:

Releasing the same game on two platforms at the same time is just making us screams; CROSS BUY!!!
Give it to us Nintendo! NOW!!!

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

I hope Konami eventually comes back to the Game Boy and releases Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge for JPN, NA, PAL players...

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

I feel sorry for anyone not downloading Castlevania II. Especially if they use the angry video game nerd as a point of reference.

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

Today, I will try to find a way to buy Castlevania II: Simon's Quest, or I may do so this weekend hopefully...

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

I'll wait for the Unepic review to decide on that one. If its lame, i'll be skipping any downloads for the third week in a row.

placidcasual

placidcasual said:

@Spoony_Tech I loved it when I was a kid too. I think I'd lack the patience for it now though- modern gaming has ruined me, my inner 10 year old is disappointed in me...

Joetherocker

Joetherocker said:

I've never actually played Simon's Quest. I suppose I'll get it eventually, just to see it for myself and so I can finish playing the original Castlevanias. Just not this week, since I still need to get Chibi Robo.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

@daveh30
I know that I have to log in and out, I check it every time and it is 2:00pm AST but you say it is 1:00AST... but we'll know in 35 minutes.

(your second comment also contradicts the one 2 posts up)

joeb1kenobi

joeb1kenobi said:

Love Castlevania 2! Especially now that I can play it on the go. Possibly Unepic, $10 seems a reasonable gamble.

Kmno

Kmno said:

Another week the Bank misses its mark. Please understand I guess?.....

AdanVC

AdanVC said:

Interesting indie titles for Wii U. Virtual Console on the other hand... I'm getting tired y'know Nintendo? No SMB3 or ALTTP in 'merica when you promised to bring SMB3 before the end of the year is something to be quite dissapointed about. I'm holding to play ALBW on 3DS in order to play ALTTP first... Sigh.

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

@KillerGBH While it is a funny video, it misses the magic of playing this game as a kid and being worried about it switching to night when you lack the resources to get to safety, the joy of figuring out the next obscure clue to undo the curse, or the satisfaction of finally beating it.

paburrows

paburrows said:

As for Castlevania 2 I loved that game as a kid, I'll probably get it ether this of next week.

Shy_Guy

Shy_Guy said:

Wow!? I wonder whats NOA excuse of why SMB3 hasn't been available in North America yet...

Kosher-X

Kosher-X said:

I'd like to buy Castlevania II and some other Virtual Console games, but I can't do this if Nintendo doesn't solve their problem with credit cards from Brazil not being accepted in America as before. This sucks.

T7L3R

T7L3R said:

Nothing for me as I'm looking to upgrade from my basic wii u to the deluxe model soon. Gotta save up some cash first though so that means a self-inflicted game drought.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

@daveh30
yeah I guess you were right, strange because I remember waiting for Wii fit, Wii Sport Club and Ducktales and wasn't able to get them until after 2:00

hcfwesker

hcfwesker said:

im probably one of the few that actually is happy today and am much more excited to get simons quest rather than the long overdo SMB3

daveh30

daveh30 said:

@Ikki5 I downloaded all 3 of those titles at 1pm sharp. I'm off work for 9 months of parental leave. eShop update is the highlight of my week.

Agent721

Agent721 said:

I just bought a new, unopened NES from 1988 and a ton of original games, including Simon's Quest (all with original boxes, manuals, etc...a nostalgic dream come true). Its the first game I put in, playing it for about 3 hours last night. I absolutely love that game and now, it's also on the Wii U. Awesome!! I now own it three times...OG version, Wii & Wii U. For me, it is a classic, along with other unsung classics like Dragon Warrior, Faxanadu & even Ultima Exodus. Its amazing how much fun I had playing the NES last night. I wish Nintendo made original copies of their old joysticks for the Wii U. I also wished they included digital copies of all the original maps & manual within each Wii U VC purchase. For those of us a bit older, certain Nostalgia is priceless.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa... THIRTY DOLLARS for F1 Race Stars? :O

Unepic doesn't look that appealing, to be honest. Eagerly awaiting for the reviews!

Dplusplus

Dplusplus said:

Wasn't Etrian just on sale? I know I got it for $30 two weeks ago. Not that I'm complaining about only getting 10$ off, but the same thing happened with EO4, too. I enjoy the games, but I get the feeling I should wait for them to be half-price before I buy them =/

bloodycelt

bloodycelt said:

Again, they are prob. holding off on SMB3 and ALTTP to allow third party VC releases a chance to sell.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

@Kosher-X Canada does accept Brazilian credit cards, if you're interested in downloading stuff from the e-Shop while we don't get an official one in Brazil.

Kosher-X

Kosher-X said:

@ricklongo I know, but I can't change it anymore because of Nintendo Network does not allow it without losing my account and the games bought and registered there.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

Don´t get mad about TLOZ:LTTP and SMB 3. You can download them throught Wii Mode, it has off screen too. And if some day it arrives to Wii U you can pay the update to play again the same game only with save states.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

untold isnt on sale on the eShop. it is etrian odyssey 4 is the one on sale

EDIT: Never mind I re-read the release lol long day today lol

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

Prof_Elvin_Gadd said:

I'm a HUGE fan of RPGs and Platformers... but not a huge fan of games that combine the two in Unepic's fashion for some reason. It looks like a more than quality game, however. Go buy it already!

Webby-sama

Webby-sama said:

@Pokefanmum82
They have Untold listed as going on sale Monday (20 January). Follows suit with the Atlus sales of this week that started on Monday (13 January) even though the announcements came the previous Thursdays.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

yeah i re-read the article lol getting scribblenauts unmasked, EO Untold and Soul Hackers next week

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

At this rate, I'll have Shantae and the Pirate's Curse before they even mention Super Mario Bros. 3 again.

soma

soma said:

As much as I like Castlevania 2, I already have it on Wii VC. Why do they keep releasing the same games? I'd love to see some GB and GBA games for 3DS.

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

I want Unepic!!! But I leave for a trip tomorrow and am gone for 9 days so it'd be a waste for me to download it today. :-/

Zach777

Zach777 said:

Unepic is actually a really solid game. I'm certain that if you are a gamer and are alive you will enjoy the title immensely!

brewsky

brewsky said:

@DarkEdi There are a lot more benefits with the Wii U VC compared to the Wii. True Off-TV play (can play using the GamePad), save states, control mapping, Miiverse, no need to boot into Wii Mode. You're also missing the point. Nintendo promised SMB3 by the end of 2013 and it didn't happen. That's why a lot of people are upset. Don't forget that people want this on 3DS as well, including myself. I want my Mario 3 to be portable.

shredmeister

shredmeister said:

@SetupDisk

I know, right? I don't remember Castlevania 2 being a bad game at all. And I didn't know anyone 'hated' it. Then AVGN came around, and almost everyone agreed with him whether they played it or not. He was really only trying to get people to laugh, and has admitted that he doesn't really hate the game.

Webby-sama

Webby-sama said:

I really want Super Mario Bros. 3. I've had the spot on the 3DS home interface reserved next to Super Mario Bro. 2 and Super Mario Land for a while now. I'm a pretty patient dude but I'm admittedly a little annoyed that nothing has been said (as far as I know) after it was announced to be released before the end of last year. Would be nice to just get an update, honestly.

faint

faint said:

@KillerGBH you know in his castlevaina retrospective he states that he actualy likes this game. it's just flawed. i honestly enjoyed it growing up.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

@ntabruzzo You are right but it the game isn´t available you can play it in wii mode because we don´t know when it arrives. And there are a lot of games /consoles that never will arrive to Wii U so it is a good option the Wii Mode. When it arrives then do the update but why to skip to play the game if there is a way to play it? ;)

burninmylight

burninmylight said:

@Zach777

Thanks a lot for sharing that! I was really close to buying it for $30 on Groupon just a few days ago, so now I'll gladly download it for cheaper when I get home. Wonder why Nintendo doesn't mention it in the press release?

LDXD

LDXD said:

I love castlevania 2 Simons quest its actually one of my favorites
It can use a remake to fix some of the issues and update the graphics
Lol I remember when I was a kid it was probably the only time we called the 1-800 # to figure out what the hell we were supposed to do regarding that stupid red crystal whoever figured that out on their own kudos to you

Zach777

Zach777 said:

@burninmylight

The 3DS version is 19.99, the Wii U version is 39.99

I'm not sure why Ninty doesn't list all sales either. They have many illogical business practices.

BooJoh

BooJoh said:

After getting Unepic on the cheap in a Steam sale and finding out my controller is rather inadequate for it, I'll be double dipping on that.

On the other hand, I'm finding it almost insulting that Nintendo has moved over to releasing VC games simultaneously on 3DS and Wii U but still makes us pay full price separately for both versions. C'mon Nintendo, Sony has been letting us play their classics cross-system for years. >:

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

@Kosher-X I figure you're talking about 3DS games, right? On Wii U, you can always make an additional account in the same console (your purchased games will still be there).

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

So is Rage of the Gladiator a Canada only sale? It is 3.59 here instead of the normal 7.29 till the 30th.

Gold

Gold said:

If Atlus is always doing these price cuts, I don't see why they can't just do a permanent one. Also, no Bank/SMB3/ALttP sadly, but those permanent price drops make this week good.

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

@DarkEdi That's exactly why I've given up about it myself. I've had SMB3 since I got a Wii and recently got Link to the Past via Club Nintendo. I'm good for now.

james_squared

james_squared said:

Unepic looks pretty neat. I looked at a bunch of the reviews and videos for the PC version and it seems like a game I would like to play. It doesn't look like there is any special Wii U functionality to it though, but it still looks like fun.

I'm so very on the fence about Knytt Underground. I played the demo on the Mac and it was good. I might just wait until a sale or something. Hmm...

So many decisions. Maybe I should just focus on work instead...

2Sang

2Sang said:

I'm shocked this week is very bare bones. The price drops are nice, though.

ReaperX30

ReaperX30 said:

Just got Unepic and it looks pretty sweet but if I try to play it on my TV, I'm missing the bottom of the screen. This only happens in this game so I know it's not my TV and there's no option to resize the picture. Maybe in a future update.

Windy

Windy said:

If I had a Wii-U I would be getting F1 Race Stars today the game is awesome.

ICHIkatakuri

ICHIkatakuri said:

Simons Quest!!!!! I hope that's on the EU shop next week, I want to hit Deborah cliff with my head!

element187

element187 said:

@Yorumi agreed. I'm kinda interested in Etrian Odyssey. I keep seeing IV on sale but I couldn't get into the demo... But for some reason this new one the demo is clicking with me a bit more, but I still unsure for $40

I'll bite for $20. I saw this and instantly raced to the 3ds eshop and still saw it for full price still and just now noticed it's not until January 20th... So Monday it will be mine.

grumblegrumble

grumblegrumble said:

Simons Quest IS a great game. I'll totally be snagging it tonight. This is the game that saves this week for me, imho.

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

That Etrian Odyssey discount would be tempting, but no Atlus games ever get discounted in Europe for some strange reason...

grumblegrumble

grumblegrumble said:

Darts Up 3D is only 99 cents this week, too, guys. The review got a 6/10 on here, for 99 cents that doesn't sound too bad.

GN004Nadleeh

GN004Nadleeh said:

none of the new stuff for me at the moment. i have like 2 hours till i get paid and i am trying to decide between Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D or Pokemon X. i am definitely getting Soul Hackers still on sale for $20.

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

I wish Europe had unepic it looks epic... (See what I did there) hope it's not like it's name suggests though :/
Hopefully a review soon

odd69

odd69 said:

ahh Unepic is the winner ! Finally a good eshop game this dry spell sucked, well its time to buy this gem and play some wiiu later folks