Nintendo Download: 21st November (North America)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Mario, Zelda, Crazy Coasters, EDGE, discounted Mega Man and much more

It's Nintendo Download update time again, North America, and this week brings two long awaited retail releases on the Wii U and 3DS, a new Mario Party game, plenty of reduced price Mega Man and some promising download-only content on the Wii U, in particular. There's plenty to choose from, so let's get to it.

Wii U eShop

Coaster Crazy Deluxe (Frontier, $9.99) — Frontier was last seen on Nintendo download platforms with the excellent WiiWare titles LostWinds and LostWinds: Winter of the Melodias, and now makes its Wii U eShop debut with this rollercoaster design game. It has some wacky touches, such as the task to keep the "Crazies" happy, while also throwing in online leaderboards and challenges. We'll eat too many sugary snacks and hit the theme park for our upcoming review.

Mysterious Cities of Gold: Secret Paths (Ynnis Interactive, $14.99) — Based on a Japanese / French animated series with a loyal following, this project ran a successful crowdfunding campaign to secure English localisation. An adventure in which you control up to three characters, this aims to suit various gaming ages while offering free DLC to expand the story alongside the TV show. We'll try to find our way to a review, soon.

EDGE (Two Tribes, $1.99 until 2nd January 2014, then $3.99) — Originally released on smartphones and PC, this is the second "Two Tribes Classic" to arrive on the Wii U eShop, and in this case the game is making its Nintendo début. It's a stylish retro-infused puzzle platformer in which you manoeuvre a cube through tricky environments. We rated this one very highly with 9/10 in our review.

Wii U Virtual Console

Brawl Brothers (HAMSTER, $7.99) — The 16-bit era had its share of excellent beat 'em ups, and this one was another contender for the crown. We felt some over-long stage design let this one down — along with other minor annoyances — in our Wii Virtual Console Brawl Brothers review; we'll get ready for action for an updated review, soon.

Wii U Retail Download

Super Mario 3D World (Nintendo, $59.99) — With each passing reveal and trailer in recent weeks the hype has increased for this latest 3D Mario title; it's bursting with creative level design, new power-ups, fun mechanics and the best multiplayer yet seen in a Mario platformer. It's been critically acclaimed and could be the definitive Wii U title of 2013 — we awarded 10/10 in our Super Mario 3D World review. Available from midnight on 22nd November.

Wii U eShop Temporary Discount

Mega Man (Capcom, $3.49 until 28th November, normally $4.99)

Mega Man 2 (Capcom, $3.49 until 28th November, normally $4.99)

Mega Man 3 (Capcom, $3.49 until 28th November, normally $4.99)

Mega Man 4 (Capcom, $3.49 until 28th November, normally $4.99)

3DS eShop

Jewel Match 3 (Joindots, $6.99) — The match-3 genre continues to grow on the 3DS eShop, with this effort promising "100 absolutely huge levels" and including a suitably dramatic storyline. These puzzle games can be rather fun, and this one has three modes to choose from, so we'll see how it stacks up.

Ohno Odyssey (Big John Games, $5.99) — This looks like a fairly charming physics-based action-platformer, which promises 35 levels to take on. It looks positive, but we'll get cracking on a review to let you know what we think.

Christmas Wonderland 3 (Microvalue, $7.99) — The first two titles in this series were abominations; let's see if this one fares better.

3DS Virtual Console

City Connection (HAMSTER, $4.99) — Another NES title makes its way to the 3DS VC, with this one very much part of the early 8-bit generation of simplistic, single screen experiences. In our opinion this isn't a retro gem, as you can see in our City Connection review.

3DS Retail Download

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (Nintendo, $39.99) — It's a new Zelda title on the 3DS, words to give many gamers a thrill. Set in the same world as the iconic SNES title The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, this latest entry shakes up some core aspects of the series formula by allowing players more freedom in choosing the order of playing dungeons. We feel that it's a bold, fresh take on the series that hits its marks, awarding 10/10 in our The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds review. Available from midnight on 22nd November.

Mario Party: Island Tour (Nintendo, $39.99) — The latest in the Mario Party series brings us the franchise début on 3DS; it'll include seven boards, 80 minigames, a single player minigame tower, AR card features and local and Download Play multiplayer. It could be ideal portable fun for the Holiday season, and we'll give it a whirl and let you know what we think soon. Available from midnight on 22nd November.

3DS eShop DLC

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies "Turnabout Reclaimed" (Capcom, $5.99) — This case is a prequel to those in the main game. Having received his attorney’s badge back following the events of Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney, what better way to ease back into the business than defending a killer whale accused of murder?

3DS eShop Temporary Discount

Mega Man (Capcom, $3.49 until 28th November, normally $4.99)

Mega Man 2 (Capcom, $3.49 until 28th November, normally $4.99)

Mega Man 3 (Capcom, $3.49 until 28th November, normally $4.99)

Mega Man 4 (Capcom, $3.49 until 28th November, normally $4.99)

DSiWare

Hands On! Tangrams (Enjoy Gaming, 500 Nintendo Points) — Just when you thought you'd seen it all with Tangrams and DSiWare, both return in one triumphant swoop... maybe. This one promises 10 themed levels with 100 puzzles, so we'll switch out brains on and work on a review.

Quite a few different options this time around, North American gamers. Let us know what you plan to download in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (334 votes)

Coaster Crazy Deluxe (Wii U eShop)

Mysterious Cities of Gold: Secret Paths (Wii U eShop)

EDGE (Wii U eShop)

13%

Brawl Brothers (Wii U Virtual Console)

Super Mario 3D World (Wii U retail download)

22%

Mega Man (Wii U Virtual Console temporary discount)

Mega Man 2 (Wii U Virtual Console temporary discount)

Mega Man 3 (Wii U Virtual Console temporary discount)

Mega Man 4 (Wii U Virtual Console temporary discount)

Jewel Match 3 (3DS eShop)

Ohno Odyssey (3DS eShop)

Christmas Wonderland 3 (3DS eShop)

City Connection (3DS Virtual Console)

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS retail download)

15%

Mario Party: Island Tour (3DS retail download)

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies "Turnabout Reclaimed" (3DS eShop DLC)

Mega Man (3DS Virtual Console temporary discount)

Mega Man 2 (3DS Virtual Console temporary discount)

Mega Man 3 (3DS Virtual Console temporary discount)

Mega Man 4 (3DS Virtual Console temporary discount)

Hands On! Tangrams (DSiWare)

Nothing for me this week

19%

Please login to vote in this poll.

speedyboris

speedyboris said:

I'll definitely be buying Super Mario 3D World. I was hoping for Mario 3 to be released alongside it, but I can't complain too much since 3D World will keep me occupied.

Still, they better hold to their word to release SMB3 before the end of 2013!

OracleOfTruth

OracleOfTruth said:

I'll be saving SM3DW for Christmas, but the Mega Man discounts look appealing. Too bad I recently got 1-3 already. I guess I can still get 4 for cheap.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

Well... i got my hopes up for Megaman for no reason. I was hoping they'd add at least a new Megaman title but all it is are discounts.... of the ones i already own....

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

Nothing for me since I have LOZ: ALBW coming tomorrow hopefully. Planning on getting Mario Party soon. Waiting to see what deals are on for Black Friday first

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

Wow, I thought Ohno Odyssey came out a while back, I got a free redeem code for a game that didn't came out yet, gotta try it out to one of the first to play it.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Was hoping for a SM3DW demo to hold me over until Christmas, oh well. Not like the game needs it, can't be too many undecideds on this one. W101 in the mail tomorrow and my wife gets her Wii Fit U Meter next Tuesday so that should hold us over for awhile.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Okay, big missed opportunity in not releasing SMB3 and ALttP this week to coincide with their new releases, but good week anyway. It is kind of irritating though. I mean they say SMB3 is coming to VC and then when you'd think it'd be the perfect time to release it, they don't. Oh well...Anyway, can't wait for ALBW although I pre-ordered it!

I'll download SM3DW on Christmas day along with W101 and Pikmin 3.

Mario Party who now? I didn't even know it was coming out this week.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Someone help me out with what MegaMan's to get. I've only ever played the very first one. Which is the best of the first 4?

Kevin

Kevin said:

Seriously? No Mario or Zelda games on the Wii U VC today? Way to keep dropping the ball Nintendo.

SpinelessOyster

SpinelessOyster said:

Lots for me this week. Physical 3D World and Link Between Worlds, EDGE, and maybe Brawl Brothers if I can find the time.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

@Spoony_Tech I love 2, 3, and 4 honestly. 4 is my favorite although a lot of people say it's one of the worst ones. If you can only get one though, I'd say go with 2 or 3.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

@Spoony_Tech: Honestly you cant go wrong with the next 4 Mega Mans. Although most people will say that Mega Man 2 is the best the series has to offer. I myself like Mega Man 3 the best. But yeah if you want to stick with continuity go with Mega Man 2 otherwise any of those 3 will be great choices.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

@Spoony_Tech 2>1>3
My personal favourite is 2. It's the only one I owned as a child. It might be because I had the most practice on but I found it to be more fun and less unfair than 1 and 3. Megaman 3 has loads of slowdown and flicker which makes me prefer 1. Never played 4.

It is a bit annoying that they've not put LttP or Mario 64 on VC to complement the release of their successors.

Late

Late said:

@Spoony_Tech: I think Mega Man 2 is the most popular choice with Mega Man 3 not far behind. All of them are great games but I'd get 2 or 3 first.

dadajo

dadajo said:

@Spoony_Tech Without question 2 by far is the most polished with 3 getting a close 2nd. The first and fourth are fine they are just not as enjoyable as 2 or 3.

Tra_Venous

Tra_Venous said:

You should allow us to select multiple games in the poll, because I'm getting a bunch this week.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

Wow, more shovelware for the 3DS eShop.

I hope they apply those Mega Man discounts in Europe too. I would gladly get Mega Man 3 and maybe the first one.

It'd be interesting to know if the Ace Attorney dlc is worthy of its price. Will you review it?

Wanderhope

Wanderhope said:

It's D-Day.

Torn between 3D World, A Link Between Worlds (most likely the former), or waiting until I finish Wind Waker HD and Pokemon X before getting either.

3D Mario games may be my favorite type of game, period, so I'm not sure how long I can hold out.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

...I was kinda hoping Nintendo would've released a Link to the Past for Wii U's VC... :/
(even though I already have it on Wii, lol)

workerbot

workerbot said:

Can't agree with you on the previous Christmas Wonderland releases. I enjoyed both very much and am looking forward to this new one. I also hope Jewel Match 3 is actually released today, since it was on the list to be out last week.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

I didn't think I would get so many responses! Thanks everyone. I guess 2 and 3 it is for now! Even though its been what 25 years since I've played a Mega Man! Yeah I'm old.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

Well, if I owned a Wii U I'd be downloading EDGE today, but since I don't there won't be anything of interest to me this week. I'm saving A Link Between Worlds for Christmas so that's a no-go as well. Perhaps Black Friday and Cyber Monday will have some sweet deals on games. From what I've seen in the ads, they certainly show some promise.

EDIT: Actually, it seems they announced that EDGE is coming to the 3DS eShop at some point so all hope is not lost!

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I repeat the question I made in the Chainlink Mario video.

When eShop says midnight, what timezone do they work with? I want to get Mario and probably Edge. And Megaman 2 since I already have 3.

daveh30

daveh30 said:

got Mario, Zelda, and Mario Party pre-ordered..... might download Edge to tide me over till tomorrow

luisterr

luisterr said:

When is the review for Mario Party: Island Tour going to be available? I am definitely getting TLOZ:A Link Between Worlds and Super Mario 3D World.

JonSpangler

JonSpangler said:

@sinalefa
When I waited for wind waker to download it at midnight it actually became available 11pm my time (Illinois). I am hoping that is the case tonight to.

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

I'll be grabbing physical copies of Mario 3D World and Link Between Worlds soon, so i dont really need anything from the eshop this week. Just looking forward to playing the two best games to release this year.

Scon

Scon said:

No VC SMB3 love for us this week? Nnnrgh...

Anyway, Dual Destines DLC was a no-brainer :P

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@Giygas_95 Thanks for that second post but music ha never swayed me into buying a game. Dare i say more then 50% of the time i play with no sound!

The dlc case for Ace Attorney is live now! Took 30 seconds to dl.

Mainer82

Mainer82 said:

I thought that Mega Man X2 was coming out this week for Wii U VC??

I'm picking up my physical copies of Mario and Zelda tomorrow.

Edit: Also, VERY surprised that ALttP is not out on Wii U... Sometimes Nintendo just doesn't know what they are doing. :S

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

Come on Nintendo, why not release Super Mario Bros. 3 or A Link to the Past this week? (And seeing a previous comment, why not Mega Man X2 either?)

Aside from that, I'm getting the physical copy of Super Mario 3D World for Christmas, so nothing for me this week.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Probably saving them for Christmas now.

KillScottKill

KillScottKill said:

Amazingly, I haven't bought the Mega Man games off of eShop yet. Hello discount! THANK YOU BASED NINTENDO.

SirQuincealot

SirQuincealot said:

@Kevin god niontendo why dont you release every single game at once jeez, even the one that are allready available on wii mode, make me press an extra button nontendo? how dare you

sarcasm over

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

I'm disappointed that Mega Man X isn't discounted, but this still a pretty great week. I'll be getting EDGE as soon as it goes up, and I'll be keeping an eye on the Rollercoaster game.

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

I already have all of those Mega Man games and I'm getting a physical copy of the new Zelda, so no downloads for me this week.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

@SirQuincealot: I have found the Mega Buster broken in MM 4. Because it introduced it everything is seriously beefed up on hit points even the most common Met so that you have to use the Mega Buster.

Laxiom

Laxiom said:

Downloading Mario 3D World, and grabbing Zelda at retail.
It's gunna be one of the least productive weekends in years. It's ok family, I'm sure that leaky roof will sort itself out.
There's no substitute for positive thinking!

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

@Kevin I know, right? Releasing two of the best-received and much-awaited new games of the year on one day. But they don't re-release a game from 20 years ago. Dropping the ball, big-time.

NbaJunkie

NbaJunkie said:

Getting SM3DW tonight..Maybe a couple discounted titles too like megaman two,and cube.This is an awesome week for the eshop!

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

SM3DW for sure. Probably Edge, MM2 (3DS)... I didn't know Mario Party was coming out as well. Zelda's a retail one for me. Killer week!

chiefeagle02

chiefeagle02 said:

Well, there's only one more Thursday in November (Happy Thanksgiving), so I guess we're getting YouTube next week (assuming nothing goes awry on Nintendo's end).

Otherwise, for this week, MAYBE the Mega Man games on sale. I was planning on getting Zelda as a physical release.

ScorpionMG

ScorpionMG said:

Got my pikmin 3 copy today, now waiting for my capture device, mario 3d world and w101 :D

minotaurgamer

minotaurgamer said:

I wonder why only 1-4 are in the discount. Oh well. I am getting ALBW physically so nothing for me this week.

I guess I am the only one that enjoyed City Connection.No masterpiece yeah but it's still fun and addictive, something games should be. anyway to each its own

KillerGBH

KillerGBH said:

What a crazy week , downloading zelda and mario in 12hours so near :). massive fun soon xD

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

I don't understand the "big opportunity" argument. You're gonna buy those VC titles either way, right? ;)

Super_Gravy

Super_Gravy said:

Well I going download Super Mario 3D World and Link Between World but I pick Mega Man 4 since Mega Man 4 is only thing I can buy right now. If Mega Man 4 got an discount the same time as Super Mario 3D World and Link Between World then I would pick Super Mario 3D World.

Super_Gravy

Super_Gravy said:

@HyperSonicEXE: Not really and you still use miiverse without the game. Only catch is that you would not able to share your screenshot and its doesn't say you have played the game either.

jjmesa16

jjmesa16 said:

Definitely getting SM3DW, physical though. I might go for EDGE too. I would get LOZ: ALBW but I think I'll wait on that until Christmas. Too many games to play and too little time, and money.

james_squared

james_squared said:

I just watched the trailer for Coaster Crazy Deluxe on the Wii U and it looks pretty neat. I think I'd enjoy making my patrons puke and crash.

OptimisticLink

OptimisticLink said:

Getting Mega Man 2 at discount (I've been wanting to get into the series for a while), and downloading Super Mario 3D World tomorrow, as well as A Link Between Worlds at retail.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

I'll be getting EGDE, Mega Man 2-4, and Super Mario 3D Land. Those deals are just too good to pass up...

I want A Link Between Wolrds, too, but I'll probably have to wait until around Christmas for that one. This looks be a good week, IMO.

Michial

Michial said:

What time are they available? I'm in Seattle pacific time. Can I dl at midnight?

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

No discount for Mega Man X on the Wii U? Man, what a bummer. :/

Still, amazing week. I'll probably not download anything, since my two retail purchases of Mario 3DW and Zelda ALBW will keep me pretty busy for a while.

Super_Gravy

Super_Gravy said:

@Michial: 3:00 AM EST = 12:00 AM PST

If there is a such thing as an timezone trick then all of you guys probably going for EST or later time. That mean I will get the game first before any of you guys.

12:00 AM EST November 22nd = 9:00 PM PST November 21st

EDIT: Sorry about that Michial. I didn't realize that you are kidding. XD You got me there!

earthboundlink

earthboundlink said:

I just got Wii U this month, so I'm leaning toward 3D World... but LttP is my all time favorite game... but I'm in the middle of WW:HD and Pikmin 3... have a job and a baby at home... not enough money or time for everything... but have a $10 eshop credit from Wii U digital promotion... GAAAAHHHH!!! NINTENDO OVERLOAD!!!

earthboundlink

earthboundlink said:

@OptimisticLink I am jealous of you if you are about to experience Mega Man for the first time. One of the greatest platforming series in existence, and none better than Mega Man 2. WARNING: DO NOT THROW YOUR GAMEPAD AT THE TELEVISION, IT WILL NOT BRING MEGA MAN BACK TO LIFE!

Light

Light said:

I see people asking for mario bros 3, this is already released on the wii eshop and works just find. I would prefer for them to release A Link To the Past (snes) on wii U eshop, because i am not going to buy a classic controller just to play this game or any of the older N64 games. I already have 4 wiimotes/nunchucks and would prefer to invest in the newer wii u pro controller.

Light

Light said:

And yeah, already have my wii u eshop credit available waiting to download 3d world :)

Light

Light said:

I think the greatest invention for them would be to allow 3ds games to play through the wii-u, but of course this is just a dream..... as much as i like zelda, I am not spending money on a portable console again.

3DSfan134

3DSfan134 said:

Mario Party for Black Friday or for Christmas but ALBW can wait until Christmas or for Black Friday if I don't get Mario Party.

PS4 FTW! :D

Retrowire

Retrowire said:

For anybody on the fence about any of these eShop titles. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND EDGE. I have it on my android device, and will be getting it on my Wii U. YES. Awesome music, super unique puzzler.

element187

element187 said:

Oh yea, Super Mario 3D World!!!

I wish I could vote for two, because I"m also getting Edge.... 1080p/60fps puzzler? Yes Please!!!

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

I voted for nothing.....but $1.99 for the Edge seems again like too good of a deal to pass on......two tribes is forcing their way into my wallet with these cheap releases. I will pick up SMB3DW sometime after Christmas......unless Santa decides to magically make it appear under my tree......

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

I think I'll finally pick up mega man 2 and 3 now, or at the very least the second one. Those emulators really don't have the same feeling as well, emulating it from an actual console.

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

City Connection! Also grabbing LOZ & MPIT physical copies tomorrow:) Just missing Blaster Master and NA will have all EU's 3DS NES VC titles!

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Nada. I'm got retail preorders for SM3DW and Zelda 3DS as I usually prefer discs whenever they offer the option. Won't be playing them till Christmas however.

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

So YouTube is releasing on Thanksgiving?

Huh. I don't know of any places open on Thanksgiving. I'm pretty sure McDonald's will be closed all day.

Eh, I'll just get it the next day.

Alshain01

Alshain01 said:

I really thought A Link to the Past would be on that list today. Buying the Zelda console tomorrow so nothing for me today (I guess technically I'm downloading Zelda).

Bakajin

Bakajin said:

I clicked 'nothing for me this week,' since I'm only planning on picking up the physical ALBW right after I get off work tomorrow, but the more I think about, the more I think it might be nice to have a Mega Man on my XL. Probably #3.

CaPPa

CaPPa said:

I have SM3DW and ALBW preordered already, so I'll be picking them up from the store tomorrow.

I'll download EDGE and will take a look at The Mysterious Cities game, just because I remember the show back when I was a kid.

Beau_Skunk

Beau_Skunk said:

Sense Megaman 4 is the only MM game I don't already have that's been discounted, I went, and got it. (For 3DS, I don't have a WiiU.)

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@Oddy: You may want to check around, actually — there are a lot of stores that will be open on Thanksgiving this year for the Black Friday shenanigans, lol. Who knows what may or may not be open in your area :3

Noboty

Noboty said:

As far as downloads go, I'm planning to get megaman since I never finished it. I am also getting Zelda, but in it's physical form.

WaxxyOne

WaxxyOne said:

Super Mario 3D World and A Link Between Worlds on the same freaking day? Well, there goes all of my money and free time for awhile.....

odd69

odd69 said:

i want the disc of mario 3D land, but im not fighting black friday so ill get it whenever

TristanRW

TristanRW said:

Getting physical copies of both SM3DW and Link Between Worlds tomorrow. I'm super excited. Although they are coming from UPS so Ill get them around 5. Gonna be hard waiting. Lol

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

@Blizzaga: Ha ha. I already have the Wii Shop channel version. I want the Wii U features, plus the ability to play it on my 3DS. I just wonder what's taking them so long to friggin' port the game - it can't require that much effort.

whatisyourforte

whatisyourforte said:

Yo errrbody...Link To The Past is a reward at Club Nintendo right now. I'm pretty sure they coordinated THAT coincide with A Link Between World's release.

Sixmillion

Sixmillion said:

I was thinking on getting some of the megaman, but are they redoing the megaman as a 3d classics ?