WayForward Would Like To Make A Metroid Game

Posted by Andy Green

Will you be signing the petition?

WayForward, the developer behind games such as A Boy and his Blob, Mighty Switch Force: Hyper Drive Edition, and the upcoming 3DS title Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage?! has expressed its desire to make a Metroid game.

Responding to a tweet by a fan who thought the studio would do a good job with the franchise, the team seemed pretty enthusiastic about the prospect of developing a game for everyone’s favourite female bounty hunter.

So would we! Someone needs to start a petition! (Because petitions are always super effective!)

WayForward have a good relationship with Nintendo already, with Director and Game Designer Austin Ivansmith saying many of the studio’s games are popular with the Nintendo fanbase and community. Whether or not this relationship is strong enough for them to be entrusted with the Metroid franchise is another matter entirely, but one thing is for certain, the team would love to be given the opportunity.

What do you think? Would you trust WayForward with one of Nintendo’s oldest franchises?

[via twitter.com]

OracleOfTruth

OracleOfTruth said:

@LJM - You forgot the period at the end of your sentence. :P
I would be interested to see Way Forward's take on the series. Hopefully, they would make a Fusion sequel.

Wonder_Ideal

Wonder_Ideal said:

If they made a Metroid game, what kind of gameplay would it have; classic, first person, or Other M style? It makes me wonder.

I-U

I-U said:

The game that WayForward has done that gives me similar vibes to Metroid isn't mentioned. Aliens Infestation, for me, supplied what I would have wanted, in combat and atmosphere, from a Metroid sidescroller on the Nintendo DS. I would trust them to do a new Metroid, as long as it is a sidescroller with no impact on the series' timeline and with no confirmed canon placement. Metroid would be better off not limiting itself to the timeline, and I think WayForward's best opportunity would be on the Wii U shop.

RR529

RR529 said:

After playing MSF!, I'd love to see what they could do with Metroid!

I'm definitely in favor of the idea!

Randomname19

Randomname19 said:

"Is this the Way Forward for Metroid?"
If the way is to make a game similar to Other M (bringing the classic 2D gameplay in 3D),then yes

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

@I-U aliens: infestation was a really good game on the DS and yes, it was very reminiscent of the 2D side-scrolling metroid games such as super metroid, metroid fusion. i always wanted wayforward to make a 2D metroid game with retro studios/nintendo EAD/gearbox making the 3D metroid game for wii U.

so yes, please!

the_shpydar

the_shpydar said:

"(Because petitions are always super effective!)"

I LOL'd hard at that. Yet another reason that i love WayForward. :D

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

Nintendo, seriously start considering adding WayForward as one of your special development teams, like Retro Studios.

StephenYap3

StephenYap3 said:

You got Shantae, WayForward! Isn't that enough? Besides, even though you do have the skills to make one, let the real pros handle it.

Pikachupwnage

Pikachupwnage said:

@StephenYap3

Wayforward makes a nice 2D metriod for the 3DS and retro or one of Nintendo's other awesome studios makes an ambitious metroid prime like 3D metriod for Wii U. Perfect.

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

Im guessing Metroid Blast from Nintendoland is just a taste of a new 3D Metroid game from the big N.......

Jeremyx7

Jeremyx7 said:

Honestly as much as I enjoy WayForward's games overall I would have to say.....a resounding 'NO' to the idea of them making a Metroid Game. They're a great developer but not for Metroid.

Every game I've played from Way Forward is usually a bit to simplistic, short, and straight forward(Linear). Metroid games however are completely the opposite style from their games except for maybe 1 WayFoward game that I can think of at the moment.

I say just let Nintendo keep making them using their own dev departments and Retro Studious. They always do a fantastic job especially with Metroid Fusion, Metroid Prime trilogy, & Zero Mission.

If there is one 3rd party company I would be interested to see make a metroid game it would be 'Nigoro' the same two guys that made La-Mulana!!

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

As long as Yoshio Sakamoto doesn't touch the story at all, I'm all for WayForward giving Metroid a try. Sorry, Yoshio, but after the colossal disaster that was Other M's story, I just don't trust you anymore.

MetalKingShield

MetalKingShield said:

WayForward is the only developer of 2D games I like as much as Nintendo R&D1. To be honest, Nintendo has never "fluffed" a 2D Metroid, so I don't see why R&D1 wouldn't get the chance to make another one. On the other hand, I'd love to see what WayForward could do with it. All I know is that I'd like to see Metroid V!

Alternatively, how about a Metroid-type game with Patricia Wagon?

Emaan

Emaan said:

This could be interested, I say why not. If Nintendo themselves isn't going to make a new one, which we don't know whether they are or not.

CrimsonMoonMist

CrimsonMoonMist said:

I'd be all for seeing what they could cook up.
Having a brand new title on the Wii U and/or 3DS would be great.

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

We are long overdue for a new 2D Metroid, and WayForward is one of the few developers I would trust completely with such a task.

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

I would love to see Metroid with an awesome hand-drawn art-style like A Boy and His Blob [but obviously less kid-like].

Ndayday

Ndayday said:

I love WayForward but have to say no on this one. Not sure how to explain it but their females are decidedly female. Look at Shantae, Officer Wagon and Luna. They're hilarious characters but if that kind of style leeched over to Metroid I'm not sure what I'd think.

Rect_Pola

Rect_Pola said:

HELLS YES.
Their Aliens game is pretty much proof positive that they can pull off a good 2D Metroid.

Void

Void said:

I would be very happy if they made a 2D Metroid game for the 3DS.

idork99

idork99 said:

If anyone has played Aliens: Infestation on the DS (I haven't), then that would be a great indicator of what to expect if Wayforward were to make a 2-D Metroid. Also, I believe Aliens: Infestation was heavily inspired by Metroid which is funny because I read somewhere that Nintendo was inspired to make the original Metroid due to the popularity of the Alien movies back in the 80's. Who would've thought!

TNLGUY

TNLGUY said:

I think they have the potential to handle a Metroid game beautifully. I say go for it.

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

Can Nintendo itself make nothing now but a Mario every 15 minutes and a Zelda every 5 years? Why can't they make a new Metroid themselves?

Syntax

Syntax said:

I think that instead of creating a whole new Metroid game, they should add samus as a playable character in their own games like Mighty Switch Force!

Tsuchiya

Tsuchiya said:

I'd love a good solid 2D Metroid. It's ok in 3D but it's just better as a 2D sidescroller. I hope if they do make one that they steer clear from Other M. That was awful. That didn't know what it was.

SuperPeach

SuperPeach said:

I want another metroid, but after playing some of wayforward's work I have to say. NO. I just don't like their style much.

OracleOfTruth

OracleOfTruth said:

@Tsuchiya
I beg to differ. Other M was quite good. It had a unique combination of 3D, 2D, and first person gameplay. It was not without its flaws, but it was by no means awful.

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

I like Wayforward. I would hope Nintendo would make the next 2D metroid themselves. If they are reluctant then I suppose I would trust Wayforward. It had better be a lot better than their Aliens game though.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

If it is 2D, it could be either them or DreamRift. Wayforward has more experience though.

And the studio should not affect Samus. I don't remember seeing Samus' breasts being gigantic or bouncing out of control in Other M.

Oh, and I hope Wayforward puts a huge disclaimer in the box (or the download page) that says:

THE STORY OF THIS GAME AND/OR THE DEPICTION OF SAMUS WAS HANDLED BY YOSHIO SAKAMOTO. WE WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY PSYCHOLOGICAL DAMAGE.

just to avoid the undeserved backlash of misinformed fanboys.

WaxxyOne

WaxxyOne said:

I am OK with the thought as long as Nintendo oversees the quality and direction of the gameplay and they never, ever, ever let Team Ninja near the franchise again.

@sinalefa
Not misinformed. Heavily let down. There is so much more to a game than the story draft provided by the publisher. Even if you assume that Team Ninja had absolutely no control over the decision to make Samus into a damp washcloth unable to activate her Varia Suit without permission (extremely unlikely), there is still the terrible gameplay, awful art direction, poor pacing, long and incredibly boring cutscenes that did nothing but cause you to fall asleep, schizophrenic difficulty scale, the list goes on*. Team Ninja makes terrible games and then sells them using gore and boobs. Samus deserves better.

• And OH MY GOD the Where's Waldo? intermission screens!!! ARGGGGGGGHHH*slits wrists*
ArcanaXVI

ArcanaXVI said:

I'd love to see what could happen if WayForward took a crack at Metroid. They have my signature.

MegaAdam

MegaAdam said:

I think Wayforward, with a little bit of help from the senior staff at Nintendo, would develop an excellent Metroid game.

Jeremyx7

Jeremyx7 said:

'Nigoro' would be much better qualified over WayForward to help Nintendo Make a Metroid Game. La Mulana alone = more hours & depth than all of WayForward's games combined.

rayword45

rayword45 said:

I'd much rather see then do something non-platformer and I can't see them doing the next Prime.

They should take on another franchise. More games like LIT.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

Sorry but, NO. They've done some good games but nothing to give them the credit they received here. And I have quite a few of them (Mighty Flip Champs, Mighty Switch Force, Shantae:Risky's Revenge, Aliens Infestation, LIT...)

Neither should Dreamrift, at least based on what they did in Monster Tale. What a letdown after Henry Hatsworth.

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

I want to see another Metroid Prime Hunters on 3DS first but maybe some day

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

Well...more metroid games would be better :3
(as long as they are not like other M its fine)

Stratostar

Stratostar said:

I believe they are capable of making an excellent 2D Metroid game. But I, for one, do not wish to go back to 2D. The Prime Trilogy has convinced me that Samus belongs in a 3-Dimensional world.

NImH

NImH said:

OH YES!!! Please please please someone make this happen! I can't imagine a better studio to take the reigns. Wayforward have made it clear that they are Metroid fanboys. No one could ask for a better developer.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Just — somebody make another 2D Metroid!
I'd prefer something gorgeous on the Wii U, but it'd probably end up on the 3DS.

The 2D gameplay of Metroid is a nice companion to the 3D releases, so I hope they keep that going no matter who does it.

Malic

Malic said:

@Nanoline yeah I agree I've been saying someone needs to remake metroid 2 and I wouldn't mind if it was wayforward and please no more linear metroids

Taceus

Taceus said:

Yes to WayForward. I just want a 2D Metroid that plays like Super Metroid and Fusion on my 3DS and a Prime style experience for the WiiU. Metroid bliss for me.

Gamesake

Gamesake said:

@sinalefa I don't remember gigantic breasts bouncing out of control in Metroid Other M either. Talk about a missed opportunity.

RR529

RR529 said:

@WaxxyOne, yes, Team Ninja's games are so terrible. That's very evident with the 8/10 that NL gave to both Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword (DS) & Dead or Alive Dimensions (3DS).

Get over yourself. You may not have liked Other M for whatever reason (I haven't played it, so I'm not going to get into whether or not it's good), but that gives you absolutely no right to criticise their other games as "terrible products that rely solely on gore and boobs to sell". Have you actually played any of their games?

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

hmm as long as it turns out ok =/ them making a adventure time game annoys me and makes me want to say "NO!" -.-

Tsuchiya

Tsuchiya said:

@RR529

If he's played them, he has every right to say so. NL gave those games 8/10. That's just this one site (and I respect it) but it's not a widely held view across the world is it? NL liked them and that's good but someone can say they dislike something and that's good too. :)

pntjr

pntjr said:

smirk
Chuckle chuckle chuckle chuckle
HAHAHAHAAHAHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!
FUNNIEST JOKE EVER! THIS MADE MY DAY!
Leave it to the proffesionals, I do enjoy WayForward but thier minigames won't cut it for Metroid.

MeWario

MeWario said:

Hmmmm nah. Way Forward have made some gems in the past, but also some average games. If it wasn't going to be developed by nintendo or retro then I can think of worse developers to give it too. They should just make there own Metriod clone (shantae) even better!

Peppy_Hare

Peppy_Hare said:

Bit-mapped graphics and 8-channel sound. Let's see those pixels in the vein of Mega Man 10.

OracleOfTruth

OracleOfTruth said:

All this hate for Other M is sad. The game was really fun and it shows that Samus has a soul. For those who haven't played it, I highly recommend giving it a shot.

Malic

Malic said:

@RetroGBHippie92 or maybe you just have bad taste lol . I will say other m was a good game , great no , awesome ! Definitely not . metroid was flawless before other m , the story was whack and the game was way too linear. compared to super and prime its not even close

simonbelmont82

simonbelmont82 said:

it better be epic and stick to the fan base like riddly kraid save points or just super metroid in 3d yeah>>>>>>>>>>>>>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kkslider5552000

kkslider5552000 said:

Could be cool. I mean I mean they're not high on my list of favorite developers exactly, but they could make something really good. At least...I dunno, Zero Mission level.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Wayforward could do a awesome sidescrolling Metroid, I guess! It's really about time that we finally see a new sidescrolling Metroid! It could be on the 3DS!

I prefer it to be a retail title though, instead of a download! But a download title could also be fun.

gojiguy

gojiguy said:

Dear Wayforward,

Metroidvanias and puzzle platformers are cool and all, but...

PLEASE GO BACK TO ACTION GAMES. JUST ONCE.

seronja

seronja said:

an exclusive 2D metroid game that would go back to it's roots of metroidvania for the 3DS would be AWESOME!

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

I don't think they're capabable of doing Metroid justice - taking the only game made by them I have played into account: that overhyped, uninspiring, generic action platformer they produced for the 3DS.
I downloaded more than 130 WiiWare games as well - but LIT isn't one of them. WayForward didn't do it for me yet... I should probably go and try that Shantae game everyone is talking about.

I'm always in for another one made by Team Ninja or Intelligent Systems and I'm very cautious about and extremely oversaturated by American Metroid games.

shredmeister

shredmeister said:

I'm surprised no one mentioned Contra 4 for the DS. They did a GREAT job with that one. I can foresee WayForward carrying the torch for the 2-D versions of Metroid. But I'm on the skeptic side if they plan to make a 3-D game. I'm sure they would do a better job then Tecmo did with Other M. But Retro nailed it with the Prime series, imo. If WayForward can do as good or better, I'm all for it.

Bliquid

Bliquid said:

Well, just do a remake of Super Metroid, then.
The structure is alrdy there, so you just have to add Wayforward's amazing 2D taste.
Everyone's happy.

GameLord08

GameLord08 said:

I think it's a little too ambitious for them at the moment too, but you never know. To change.org! :O

strenny

strenny said:

I habe my doubts with that company. A boy and his blob and the lost Wind Games were totally lame...

MrMario02

MrMario02 said:

in my opinion metroid ended in metroid fusion. i mean that is the end chronologically.

SilverBaretta

SilverBaretta said:

Well, WayForward are the masters of 2D sprite-based games after all. If there's anyone I would trust to make a classic-feeling Metroid with a new twist or two, it's them.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

@WaxxyOne Have you even played any of their other games? I've played Dead or Alive: Dimensions and it is an awesome game, with accessible yet complex gameplay and the destructible, multi-layered arenas are a lot of fun to fight in. It also has a great cast of characters who have more personality than the casts of the majority of fighting games (aside from Guilty gear and Blazblue). So, no, their games aren't "terrible games that rely solely on gore and boobs to sell.

Jeremyx7

Jeremyx7 said:

@SilverBaretta

WayForward are good, but just that...good. Not excellent, not above and beyond, and Definitely NOT Masters of 2D sprite based games...just good. I can name many other 2D based developers out there better qualified to make a metroid style game.

It really puzzles me how a number of people actually believe WayFoward would be qualified to take a shot at making a Metroid game. I've played a number of their games and none of them have me believing they are capable of handling a high profile franchise such as Metroid. Not anytime soon at least.

Hybrid

Hybrid said:

Just anything Metroid would good at this point, Nintendo has been relying on the Mario-verse too much, imo.

Wayforward has been releasing some solid games, so I wouldn't mind them taking a crack at it :-)

kesley4884

kesley4884 said:

What a great idea. Their incredible sprite work and history with games like Shantae and Aliens for the DS makes me think the developers are perfectly well suited to make a classic style 2d Metroid that I have been craving since the release of Metroid IV for the Advance. I had high hopes for Other M and because of that I was ultimately dissapointed. I know they would do a great job with the game. They are one of my favorite developers.

Malic

Malic said:

Let me go on the record by saying when I liked the idea of wayforward developing metroid I was thinking for either 3ds or a downloadable game on the Wii u not a big budget Wii u title. A remake of metroid 2 would be perfect for them and I think they would do a great job , I much rather them than team ninja and leave the next big metroid for retro or nintindo themselves please ;)

JebbyDeringer

JebbyDeringer said:

If anything Team Ninja was incapable of handling Metroid, Team Ninja is incapable of anything except for fully animated breasts. They have never actually made a good game just highly overrated ones. Nothing worse can happen to a game than multi viewpoint fixed camera, it feels so confined and like you should be able to freely move around but you can't.

noxusprime06

noxusprime06 said:

They can as long as they don't ruin the series with a cheap short downloadable game. I want a full non downloadable metroid game for 3DS

Henmii

Henmii said:

@strenny,

The Lost wind titles where made by Frontier, and I loved them. As for A boy and his blob Wii, I am still dissapointed that I could never find it anywhere! I really would love to play it!

TheRealThanos

TheRealThanos said:

@JebbyDeringer
Have to agree with @True_Hero there.
You post opinion as fact, and that is wrong by definition.
If you would have just said 'I think that every game that Team Ninja makes is rubbish' well, then fine because it's YOUR opinion and your entitled to it.

I have ALL the DOA games as well as the Ninja Gaiden games and I think that most of them are good, because if you're just able to look past the superficial, then you will find that their games actually do have quite a few layers, so yeah, DOA has a lot of boobs, but nowadays so do Soul Calibur and Tekken, but nobody is complaining about them for some odd reason.
And at least DOA was the series that brought us destructible/usable surroundings, multi-tiered stages and a unique countering system.
And Ninja Gaiden combined a steep learning curve with very rewarding combos and over the top moves, and yeah there IS a lot of blood.
I guess that's only normal if a Ninja starts swinging around a samurai sword at a bunch of people... ;)

On topic:
WayForward should NOT be making a Metroid game, unless it's a 2D one, as many before me have already said.

And can some of you people please stop typing 'Metriod' instead of MetrOID? It really isn't that hard to do...
(it's probably the same people that also type 'Andriod' if that is the topic of discussion)

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

These guys are good. They need to be given a chance with ever one of Nintendo's IP's. Can you imagine how cute and sexy Samus would be? Not only is the artwork there, these guys also know great gameplay, fun, fresh, retro, imaginative, creative. Sound and music is a lock too. WayForward = talent.

DrDaisy

DrDaisy said:

@LordJumpMad Sheesh! Have you ever posted anything positive on this site? Maybe I'm missing something, but seems like you come here just to talk trash.
Personally, I think it would be great idea for WayForward to make a Metroid game. WayForward has a history of making stellar 2D games long after nearly everyone else has gone almost completely polygonal. If it's not a side-scroller though, maybe WayForward should look at something else ... at least until it gets its feet a little wetter in the multi-scrolling genres.

Bassman_Q

Bassman_Q said:

This would be amazing. :O

... as long as they don't make it overly comical like all their other games.

Wonder_Ideal

Wonder_Ideal said:

@DrDaisy LordJumpMad is the site's resident troll/argument starter. It makes him happy to make people MAD. Just ignore him and enjoy the site. :)

RetroGBHippie92

RetroGBHippie92 said:

@Malic Actually I have good taste, maybe you don't like Other M and that's your opinion. Besides I like it for the actual gameplay not the story, however the story is good just not the voice acting.

TylerTerror1089

TylerTerror1089 said:

Hell no. They make games that are not that mature. I wouldn't trust a company that makes kid-like games working on a mature franchise like Metroid specially when it's my second favorite game franchise ever. Retro Studios did a great job with the Prime trilogy but there needs to be another side scrolling Metroid game for 3DS and/ or Wii U because that is where Metroid is best, and we haven't had a side scrolling game from the franchise since 2004's Zero Mission. It's time, but not for WayForward.