Nintendo Confirms Loads of "Veteran Fighters" eShop Discounts to Celebrate Super Smash Bros.

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Fire Emblem! Mario! Donkey Kong! Pokémon! Sonic! Kirby!

Last week Nintendo of Europe announced a huge range of eShop discounts to celebrate Super Smash Bros., with a focus on newcomers to the fighting line-up. As promised it's now unveiled more Super Smash Bros.-themed discounts that'll run from 21st August until 28th August, this time celebrating veteran fighters from the franchise.

There are a variety of terrific discounts on download and retail games for both Wii U and 3DS on the way; details are below.

Fire Emblem

Mario

Pokémon

Donkey Kong

• Donkey Kong (3DS Virtual Console) — €2.79 / £2.51, regular price is €3.99 / £3.59
  • Donkey Kong (Wii U Virtual Console) — €3.49 / £2.44, regular price is €4.99 / £3.49

Kirby

Sonic

• Sonic Lost World (Wii U) — €29.99 / £23.99, regular price is €49.99 / £39.99
  • Sonic Lost World (3DS U) — €23.99 / £20.99, regular price is €39.99 / £34.99

That's the batch of major discounts coming to Europe this week, then. Which of these catch your eye?

Peach64

Peach64 said:

Definitely picking up Fire Emblem, Kirby's Adventure and Dreamland 2 and 3.

erv

erv said:

Nope, not buying. The wii U titles don't have that much of a discount in the first place. And virtual console is something I rarely play.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Europe getting more fun sales. I would love to have the Pokemon Rumble U sale here in America. $18 is ridiculous, but after playing the 3DS game, it's a good time killer worth about $10. Hope the Europeans take advantage of this sale.

antonvaltaz

antonvaltaz said:

Pretty sure the prices for the UK NES games are wrong, unless they really are more expensive in the sale?!

rjejr

rjejr said:

@XCWarrior - Don't bother w/ Rumble U. My kids played it for all of 2 days. They go back to the Wii version adn the 3DS occasionally, but U was a waste, even w/ the free toy from Gamestop. Which sits on a shelf in its ball.

Did the Americas ever get this sale last week? This week?

BensonUii

BensonUii said:

Only Fire Emblem for GBA VC for me. I'm still not sure on the Kirby VCs and I held buying it the last time it went on sale. I would have bought NSMBU if it's 50% less so I could sell my physical copy for the same price. Actually you can buy the retail version now for 20€ new.

Mega719

Mega719 said:

If it comes to NA i probably won't get anything they barely have much of a difference with Wii U. I would have gotten Sonic Lost World if it was cheaper

tom_q

tom_q said:

I am going to finally buy Awakening as the physical copy is still really expensive everywhere.

GuyWithTheGames

GuyWithTheGames said:

if pokemon mystery dungeon/kirby triple deluxe were id be sold. no interest in VC games, sonic 3ds is terrible, and the rest i have in some form

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

I love sales in general and am glad to see the Smash hype momentum continue! Something I would really love to see is an eShop pre-order. Having switched to digital for my 1st party titles I find a big negative being that I don't enjoy the pre-order bonuses that come with physical releases. While I recognize shipping bonus items to people would be a mess, I'd pre-order a digital download code at Gamestop or something if I could snag the bonuses Hyrule Warriors and Smash pre-order folks will enjoy.

DualWielding

DualWielding said:

Nintendo's discounts are pathetic, I've bought games from the PSN just because the sales prices were irresistible, I have never seen a single sale for Nintendo when the prices make me impulse buy

Jmaster

Jmaster said:

Still got 5 euros left. I want to get Kirby's Adventure, but I don't know which version. Any advice?

dinosauryoshi

dinosauryoshi said:

Might get Donkey Kong. I already own the GB version but it'd be nice to be able to play it on my 3DS as it's one of my favourite games. Other than that I'm more of a physical games man so I doubt I'll be getting any others.

ferrers405

ferrers405 said:

Nintendo Sales are just prices which you can find now in some store, they need to do real sales like Steam and PS.

The_Ninja

The_Ninja said:

Why no Zelda? Cmon, Ninty. I would buy OOT3D if you made it cheaper...
I don't really care about the other games here.

I wish GBA/DS games were on Eshop. I would have so many good games to choose from.... C'mon Ninty, do it!

S3OL

S3OL said:

Craaaaaaaaaap. I bought Dreamland 3 and Adventure already. I'll be getting Fire Emblem though but apart from that, everything else looks uber poopoodoodoocacapoopsydoopsy.
Please watch the profanity — TBD

OrangeCluster

OrangeCluster said:

@Jmaster 3D Classics has a better framerate and picture quality overall, plus it looks really cool in 3D. It's really a no brainer in my opinion. :)

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

The Fire Emblem deals are good. Not sure I like Awakening enough to double dip on a digital copy, especailly as I currently have no way to access the save ttransfer tool. FE7 is going to feel odd playing without the (US) Mario Kart DD Disc items.

The Mario deals are a complete and utter joke. Here is an illustration. NSMBU is £20 in John Lewis and Shopto. This eShop sale makes it £40. The eShop needs a sale to be twice as expensive as the best reail deal...missed opportunity to highlight Mario's Super Picross (it is the most unconventional Mario game I can think of on the VC).

Donkey Kong 94 is nice and all but there are only NES Donkey Kong as well (we got MM1-6 last week, DK 1-3 is not a huge leap) and that isn't even getting into DKCR.

Pokemon and Sonic are a complete waste of space, bad spinoffs (3DS rumble is okay I suppose but not for £26) and bad games respectively. That space could have gone to good Zelda, Metroid or even Wario games.

@Jmaster 3D Classics Kirby's Adventure is the one to buy. It fixes the cripling slowdown and flickering the NES game is notorious for (it really pushed the envelope on what the NES can do). Also being in Europe the Wii U VC version runs in 50Hz only (because it was translated into German, why the non-German verisons have to suffer in 50Hz I do not know) and worse than it did on the NES as the TV refresh rate remains 60Hz so the game is really jerky and stuttery (as the system outputs 50Hz as 60Hz by duplicating every 5th frame). Why Nintendo Life choose to gloss over this critical failing I never understand (maybe if there was more pressure Nintendo might fix it for good rather than the fixed when there is no German translation and a US release we have currently). I don't know.

@rjejr America has not had these sales. On the other hand Europe did not get the sales durinmg E3.

russellohh

russellohh said:

I sold my cartridge of Fire Emblem 3 months ago for $35, certain it was going to be on VC soon. Now it's $5. Awww yeah.

XyVoX

XyVoX said:

Yes is it very true their sales are mostly always on the Light side i have to say, shame as i would spend more money with them than anyone else if they do the same sort of discounts other company's offer.

Late

Late said:

I was hoping for better selection but these have to do. Fire Emblem and Kirby's Dream Land 3 for me. I wonder why there aren't discounts for other veterans (mainly Zelda and Metroid.series). I have all the VC games for both series but it would've been nice to have Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages/Seasons and Super Metroid discounts. Then there are also Yoshi, Star Fox and F-Zero games. I wouldn't mind having another discount week after this one that includes games I listed.

clavier141

clavier141 said:

Didn't realise there was a version of Sonic Lost World for the 3DS U. Pretty certain that's a mistake.

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

@rjejr
Pokémon Rumble U is only fun when you have all the toys
Untitled
Really, the game isn't much fun with out them, and to even get one in the US will cost a lot of money.
If you have no more use for that Rumble figure, sell it on eBay and make an easy $30-50 bucks off just one. Their very rare to come by since Nintendo quickly stop making them.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

Been wanting to play the gameboy version of Donkey Kong for awhile having played it once over a decade ago and really enjoying it.
Fire Emblem advance is very tempting... How would people compare the story to that in Shadow Dragon and Awakening?

Dodger

Dodger said:

Like last time, I still believe that it would be good to mark what regions the sale is for in the title, the tagline or the tags. Especially on a site that specializes in global Nintendo news, like this one.

But I hope these sales come to America. They aren't huge, but there were a couple games in both batches that at least someone in my family wants to buy.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

@rjejr Good to know, makes me not miss it as much, lol.

No we didn't get this sale. I do need to remember to pick up Scram Kitty and His Buddy on Rails for 50% off today, I think it ends tomorrow.

readyletsgo

readyletsgo said:

Hmm, not really a great sale. Awakening for €30, should be €15 for the week. Are they learning nothing from psn and Xbox sales at all?

cmk8

cmk8 said:

Bit disappointing, don't think I'll be getting anything from this list.

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

lame. nothing for me. last discounts for newcommers were way better.

even with the discount new super marios. 2 for 3DS is still more expensive than buying it somewhere else in retail. not even speaking of a used version.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@The_Ninja OOT 3D was £19.99 on the eshop when I first got my 3DS. Never realised how infrequent Nintendo sales were at that point or I would have certainly got it.

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

@LordJumpMad I've been looking for those figures for a long time and never came across them. Which is weird because I was really interested in the game but never find any of the figures anywhere I look. Or maybe they were quickly scrapped because amiibo was coming?

ChessboardMan

ChessboardMan said:

I think I'll pick up some Kirby action, and maybe the GB DK, which I seem to recall reading somewhere, that it's slightly different to the NES version?

But disappointed by the lack of Snes Kirby action, I really want to pick them up in a sale… :(

They've barely scratched the surface of the Vets, so part of me hopes we see a third part to this sale, though I think I read it was only two weeks long? I hope I'm wrong about that. No Zeldas and no Metroid Fusion seems a bit of an over sight…

FX102A

FX102A said:

Fire Emblem for me with possibly some Kirby.

Hope they don't continue the week long sales next week as I'm on hols and there is no way to purchase via the internet nor a gift system on Wii U (so no asking a friend).

Get on it Nintendo!

Folkloner

Folkloner said:

Personally, i think the NSMBU sale price is insulting. If anything, that should be the regular price. Unless your absolutely commited to a digital library, i frankly don't see the point.

blaze8937

blaze8937 said:

Noa please tell me you haven't forgotten about us in the states I would love to get the fire emblem games....just saying

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

@DualWielding I don't ever see them doing a Steam type sale anytime soon, but I do wish they would do a little more than they do now. When I first purchased my Wii U, it was in the middle of the 30th year anniversary. I was stoked to find Super Metroid for $0.30, and jumped on the few remaining titles that followed on the day they released. I never would have purchased Wario's Woods or Yoshi had it not been $0.30.

You don't even need to be that extreme, just offer all the NES Year One releases for a $1 on the week they originally released or something simple like that. It isn't about the sales so much as the celebration of Nintendo, the good press, and good will you build with the community.

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

@Hy8ogen
If you really want to get your hands on some of them, your best bet is eBay, you might be lucky and get some cheap.
Or you can try the pokevault, they cost about $10 each but they take a long time to come in the mail
It's the only way to get your hands on Nintendo's first Amiibo

ChessboardMan

ChessboardMan said:

@unrandomsam oh, ok. More Snes Kirby action then. There are still a couple other Kirby Snes titles already on the WiiU VC. Super Star and Dream Course. And there's also the GBA game, though that wasn't of a huge amount of interest to me, it does seem an odd exclusion, and another GBA title is going on sale on the day it is released.

Also slightly odd that the 3D Classic Sonic and the Game Gear VC titles are absent as well.

Reverandjames

Reverandjames said:

If anyone is thinking of getting Fire Emblem Awakening, CdKeys.com have a sale on Nintendo points cards, plus you get 10% if you like their fb page. Means I'm gonna get the game for £22.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

@ChessboardMan DK94 is more than slightly different to the NES DK.The first 4 levels look familiar but it is a great fake out as it launches into almost a different game which is more like a puzzle platformer (think Toki Tori).

@AJWolfTill Better story that those two. Not the best story the franchise has ever had but it provides a good backdrop to the action and I certainly feel that their world is more alive (Awakening feels really like they couldn't be bothered with that). The forced tutorial in the first act is a bit irritating to veterans though (especailly when it forces you to promote a character at a low level) but it was nessecary for the series success.

Poketendo

Poketendo said:

And for those Americans who are sad they didn't get this, remember. You got pokemoncenter.com and we didn't.

Pahvi

Pahvi said:

Thinking about Fire Emblem and Pokemon Rumble U, although I see the warnings above about the latter...

earthboundlink

earthboundlink said:

I've thought about the Sonic Wii U game. I've heard mixed reviews and thought the demo was a little cramped, but not bad. Sale might push me over the cliff since I've got some leftover Nintendo cash on my account anyway that's been burning a hold in my digital pocket. That Sonic Zelda DLC made the version of me from 1993 melt into little drops of happiness, and I'd love to actually play it. If nothing else, it looks like some nice fan service.

Then again, Hyrule Warriors is coming down the pike, which is basically just packed wall to wall with fan service, even if the game itself looks a little mindless.

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

I would be tempted to get Fire Emblem or Pokemon Rumble but I don't think I will bother getting either.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

GBA Fire Emblem and the original Kirby's Dreamland for me (already downloaded Kirby's Dreamland 2 and 3 a while back, didn't bother with the original game at first as I've played through it multiple times before...be nice to revisit it for slightly cheaper though). I've been enjoying these discounts :)

FlaygletheBagel

FlaygletheBagel said:

Dang it, Nintendo of America. Late to the game as usual. Hopefully some Smash promotions are coming soon. NoA would be completely crazy not to capitalize on it.

drewb0203

drewb0203 said:

I don't have FE: Awakening. Should I get it? I'm not the largest fan of RPG's but....it looks amazing.

Dr_Corndog

Dr_Corndog said:

I imagined a comma after "Veteran Fighters" in the title and thought Nintendo had confirmed a slew of additional returning characters.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Starwolf_UK I have that Double Dash bonus disc and I remember that it unlocked something in that game but can't remember what . Can you tell me what it unlocked in Fire Emblem?

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

Aw, no sale in NA? Hoping NoA decides to follow their European counterpart closer to the date of the game's lauch, was hoping the earlier sale would come here so I can finally grab Animal Crossing New Leaf. I'd also actually consider Fire Emblem Awakening if I could grab it on a sale.

HaNks

HaNks said:

that £39.99 as a sale price for NSMBU is crazy, i saw it on deals this week for half that price, physical copy, brand new. and it's still available for under 25...

OrangeCluster

OrangeCluster said:

Kirby's Dreamland 1-3, Donkey Kong '94 and MAYBE Fire Emblem for me, I was hoping to see some more GBA titles in discount and maybe Super Mario Land 1-3 but I'll grab what I can get. :)

Vader_MIB

Vader_MIB said:

Major discounts ? New Super Mario 2 at 36 euros when it can be found 20 euros used ? Wow lol.
I bought it new at 35 a few month ago in a shop...

Finntendo

Finntendo said:

Fire Emblem.

I am so mad at myself. I once saw NSM2 at 19.90e... the same time I saw SM3DL at the same price - and bought only that.

But lol, those Mario Prices are insult. Same with Sonic Lost World.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@LordJumpMad - I think we have Zekrom, maybe Kyurem, one of those big black and white guys, we got it launch day which was awhile ago now. And even w/ all the figures I just can't see it being fun. Maybe if it was the first game in the series, but the 2 previous ones were both much better. Though to be fair I knew form the first video I saw that the "1 arena" model was going to be bad. My kids are the target market though, so for them to think it's bad, it's bad.

Guess we'll hang onto our 1 toy so the kids can tell their friends we have a collectors item, good to know, thanks.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Fire Emblem is the only one of these that I want and don't have. Not sure I have the time to play all the VC games I'm collecting, though!