Nintendo Download: 24th April (North America)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

NES is remixed, Child of Light, Yoshi's back, a golfing demo and more

It's that time again, North America, for your Nintendo Download update news. This week brings two high profile titles to the Wii U eShop, along with the latest Game Boy Advance Virtual Console offering. It's more of a mixed bag on the 3DS, though there is a demo for a major retail title that arrives next week.

Did you miss the European Nintendo Download news earlier in the week? Worry not, just click right here for all of the details.

Wii U eShop

NES Remix 2 (Nintendo, $14.99) — After the success of the first Remix compilation following its late 2013 release, the release of this sequel is no surprise. It features a host of fresh titles and challenges, as well as new modes for those with save data of the original and the ability to save and share replays. We were fans of this new entry in our recently published NES Remix 2 review — it's available from Friday 25th April.

Child of Light (Ubisoft, $14.99) — Utilising the UbiArt engine from Rayman Legends and its predecessor, this is an RPG with a poetic fairytale storyline; the Wii U version will support co-op utilising the Wii U GamePad, in which one player assists with Igniculus the firefly. We'll get working on a review, and this arrives on 29th April.

Ava and Avior Save the Earth (2020 Venture, $TBC) — This is an edutainment title that aims to promote recycling and 'green' attitudes, presumably with a mix of mini-games and assignments for young gamers to tackle. We'll see whether this is really an inconvenient truth in out upcoming review.

Wii U Virtual Console

Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island (Nintendo, $7.99) — The final part of the opening run of Game Boy Advance titles on the Wii U Virtual Console, this is the portable's version of the iconic Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. While the visual tricks may have lost a little in translation, the terrific gameplay and design survives the transition; we'll flutter jump our way through this again, but in the meantime you can check out our 3DS Ambassador Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island review.

3DS eShop

Me & My Furry Patients 3D (TREVA Entertainment, $29.99) — We all know that the 3DS eShop is short of pet simulation games, as we're surely only just approaching double figures. Nevertheless this one enters the fray and, as the title suggests, is focused on caring for poorly little critters. We'll get ready to apply some super-tiny plasters to hamsters in our review.

Mystery Case Files: Return to Ravenhearst (Tulip Games, $5.99) — Tulip Games is determined to make its object finding series a franchises, now weighing in with a direct sequel to attempt to blend some spooky storytelling with spotting random objects in environments. We'll get into an eagle-eyed review, while in the meantime you can see what we thought of the original Mystery Case Files: Ravenhearst in our review.

3DS Retail Download

Gardening Mama 2: Forest Friends (Majesco Entertainment, $29.99)

Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return (Game Mill Entertainment, $TBC)

3DS eShop Demo

Mario Golf: World Tour (Nintendo, free)

3DS eShop Temporary Discounts

3D Mahjongg (Joindots, $3.99 until 8th May, normally $4.99)

Funfair Party Games (Joindots, $6.99 until 8th May, normally $19.99)

Gardenscapes (Joindots, $5.99 until 8th May, normally $7.99)

Secret Agent Files: Miami (Joindots, $4.99 until 8th May, normally $7.99)

DSiWare

Sea Battle (Teyon, 200 Nintendo Points) — DSiWare will not be sunk, as prolific publisher Teyon returns with this video game version of Battleships, albeit with some tweaks to the formula to liven up proceedings. We'll sink everyone's Battleship in our upcoming review.

That's your lot for this week, North America. Let us know what you're planning to pick up in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (380 votes)

NES Remix 2 (Wii U eShop)

24%

Child of Light (Wii U eShop)

26%

Ava and Avior Save the Earth (Wii U eShop)

Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island (Wii U Virtual Console)

10%

Me & My Furry Patients 3D (3DS eShop)

Mystery Case Files: Return to Ravenhearst (3DS eShop)

Gardening Mama 2: Forest Friends (3DS eShop retail download)

Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return (3DS eShop retail download)

3D Mahjongg (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Funfair Party Games (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Gardenscapes (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Secret Agent Files: Miami (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Sea Battle (DSiWare)

Just the Mario Golf: World Tour demo for me

28%

Nothing for me this week

Please login to vote in this poll.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

I want the Sea Battle review finished ASAP. I don't know why, but it actually sounds promising. Teyon is touch and go I know, but just get it right and for $2, sure.

TheWhiteFalcon

TheWhiteFalcon said:

Hey, we get the World Tour demo after all.

I'll look at NES Remix 2, maybe Child of Light. Probably Yoshi's Island 3.

Can we get a port of Super Mario Advance 4 next?

Porky

Porky said:

Why is Nes Remix 2 at a higher cost in North America than Europe?

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

Has Child of Light got an EU release date yet?

I think Advance Wars will tide me over til MK8. I would consider buying Golden Sun but my backlog might get angry!

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Getting NES Remix 2, the Mario Golf demo and after checking reviews, Child of Light.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

Just the demo, but I don't know why. I don't even feel like playing Mario Golf.

NbaJunkie

NbaJunkie said:

I wish every week would be like this.. ! Child of light and the demo for golf, maybe remix2 in the future

River3636

River3636 said:

Child of light you better believe it. Looks Yummy , Give me more RPGs on WiiU

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

NES Remix 2 & Child of Light on the 29th. I may grab the Mario Golf Demo as well. Too many eShop offerings lately. I still need to start working on Golden Sun.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

Gardening Mama 2 - 3DS
& Mario Golf Demo for me this week. :)

Can't wait for next week to come getting:

Gardening Mama 2 - 3DS
Kirby Triple Deluxe - 3DS
Mario Golf - 3DS

Then in june:

Tomodachi Life - 3DS

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

BertoFlyingFox

BertoFlyingFox said:

Wait...NES remix2 wont be available til tomorrow? That doesnt make very much sense.

Anyway, I'll be picking up the MarioGolf demo for sure.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

At a distant glance, I read that as "Funeral Party". Anyway, I'll be d/ling the demo later today. I'm patiently saving my currently available funds for Shantae & The Pirate's Curse. At the rate Nintendo is releasing GBA games, they seem serious about their opinion that GBA showcases the GamePad. Still don't have a WU yet, but I'll be checking out Nes Remix 2.

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

I'll download the Mario Golf demo as soon as it's available, but I'm definitely downloading NES Remix 2 tomorrow.

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

Lots of stuff!!! w00t!!! Getting Child of Light, NES Remix 2, and Mario Golf demo at least. Very good updates for today!

River3636

River3636 said:

That's a good point @giygas_95 , are they just gonna trickle us. They could bust some gamecube games after MK8 release (I can dream). I did here something about DS a while back. GBA was a step in the right direction the Wii U still needs more diversity in the virtual console department

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

Nes Remix 2 when it comes out and Child of Light later on down the road, at least a month later.

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

For this price I'm getting Child of Light. I thought it was way more expensive.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Ugh. Bland week for us 3DS owners. Not much for golf but I guess I'll give it a whirl?

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

Mario golf demo. YESH! So with the final selection of the early gba game selection will there be a dry spell for the vc games?

XFsWorld

XFsWorld said:

Good Week. Getting NES Remix 2 when I have the funds and gonna try out the Mario Golf demo.

Gonna wait for a review for Child of Light.

ejamer

ejamer said:

Child of Light looks gorgeous. Very keen to find out more about the game... but at $15 for a beautiful RPG like that, might not bother waiting for reviews. The only question if whether I have enough HD space available.

absuplendous

absuplendous said:

I love Yoshi's Island, but not on the GBA. I suppose releasing this game in that format indicates that Super FX 2 chip emulation is too much for the Wii U.

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

April's VC line-up
Week one: 3 titles!
Week two: 2 titles!
Week three: 2 titles!
Week four: one title...
While my Math skills may be a little out of practice, this GBA debut already feels a lot like previous VC support. "Look, we've got games!" and a few weeks later, "Look... we've got A game." Here's to hoping they're not already out of steam.

River3636

River3636 said:

@River3636 maybe other publishers Will be on board and utilize the GBA on virtual console. Castlevanias anyone. I have all the game from the ambassadors program so I hope they go through those games fast and they are.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

@absuplendous: Its not that the Super FX chip is too much for the Wii U its the fact that Nintendo doesn't fully own the rights to that technology. It was co-designed with Argonaut Games. It's kinda of the same reason GoldenEye for the N64 hasn't come to the VC.

biglittlejake

biglittlejake said:

Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island was my first Mario game I beat. I beat it as a GBA game. I for some reason am terrible on Mario games. I guess I am better at Paper Mario than normal Mario.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

just the demo for me. i'm getting kirby next week and mario golf probably around the 20th of next month although i do have a eb games gift card so I might get mario golf after all...not sure yet though

AVahne

AVahne said:

Whoa, didn't think Child of Light would be so cheap. Since it's not retail pricing, I'll consider getting it.

AdanVC

AdanVC said:

Why Yoshi's Island for GBA and not for SNES? I prefer the SNES version because it has smoother framerate and waaaay better sound effects/music because of the higher quality chip sound the SNES had. Sigh. Sometimes Nintendo truly doesn't make any sense with their game releases... Oh well, NES Remix 2 for me :)

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

@AdanVC Because they apparently don't own the chip they used to make it. It's not like they couldn't do something about that, but it looks like none of the Super FX games are ever coming to the VC.

joey302

joey302 said:

This is how it should be EVERY week!! They still need to step up their vc releases. Japan already has 5 T16 games!! And sega where are you? Genesis games please?!?!?

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Wait, Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island AND Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, at the same time on Wii U? WTF Nintendo, really? AND no 3DS love? I know I gotta get a Wii U but damn...

UltraLaserTen

UltraLaserTen said:

This week's offerings look pretty good on the Wii U eShop. Can't exactly say the same about the 3DS though.
I'll try to get Child of Light as soon as possible, I can never get enough of RPGs.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

why Nintendo can´t emulate SNES Yoshi´s Island? Is the chip very difficult to emulate?

Gen0neD

Gen0neD said:

MarioGolf demo for me. Ive been DYING to play this. Child of Light im gonna rock on PS4.

Superryanworld

Superryanworld said:

I've seen better download weeks.Aside from Mario kart 8 and 3ds smash I'm not very excited in general.Oh well, I'm glad I'm not just a Nintendo fan only.Compared to Sony and Microsoft Nintendo is behind in nearly every way.I think I'll just stick with gameinformer,as they cover Nintendo and so much more.

Igmx

Igmx said:

Wasn't NA eShop supposed to get discounts on five big Nintendo games this week? MK7, Animal Crossing and the others.

Gen0neD

Gen0neD said:

Does anyone know if the progress you make in the MG demo, carries over to the full game? If not, i'll wait till the 2nd... begrudgingly.

burninmylight

burninmylight said:

I hope Child of Light turns out to be a good game. I have yet to see how an average battle looks from start to finish, and that is what makes or breaks an RPG for me.

dkxcalibur

dkxcalibur said:

Tooooo many games already so nothing for me. Child of Light looks cool and so does Remix 2 (although I would want to play the first Remix prior). With Pokemon, Fire Emblem, and Rayman Legends being fairly new additions to the family library and DKCTF @ 96% completion we have enough.

Agent721

Agent721 said:

I voted for NES Remix 2, but I will consider Child of Light once I read a review.

Diddy_kong

Diddy_kong said:

Can I just say how amazing it is to finally be able to play Yoshi's Island on a TV again? It was the only beloved SNES title from my childhood to not be released on the Wii VC, so this was a long time coming. :)

jjmesa16

jjmesa16 said:

Shouldn't it be NES Reremixed?

So many great games this week it's hard to pick which one to vote for as I will be picking up at least 2-3 of the choices.

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

@MeloMan No, we're not getting the SNES original and the most likely reason being because they don't own the Super FX chip so both SMW2 and SNES Star Fox will likely never come to VC.

deltamikemike

deltamikemike said:

Only NES Remix 2 for me, massively excited for Child of Light but as always with non-Nintendo titles I'll be buying that on Xbox Live. There's no game I want more than SNES Yoshi's Island on Virtual Console but I will continue to hold off the GBA version unless I run out of other things to play (still haven't touched Earthbound or LTTP).

meatbinbanquet

meatbinbanquet said:

for once,im actually going to buy something....im really really intrigued about Child of Light, been looking forward to it since it was announced

Hortencio

Hortencio said:

Child of Light at last!! NES Remix 2 looks intriguing too, but this week was a good one - take that, haters... And I am actually glad to see the end of the "first cycle" of GBA games, as I still own my SP w/ Mario & Luigi, Metroid Fusion, and Golden Sun...so here's hoping they release great games that I missed/ignored.

JustinH

JustinH said:

Voted for Yoshi's Island, which I got this afternoon. Would've picked NES Remix 2 first, but of course it's not out yet.

Unca_LzStaff

Unca_Lz said:

For the record, NES Remix 2 is coming out at 9:00 am Pacific/12:00 noon Eastern tomorrow, so I'd advise against waiting until midnight tonight ;)

(Source is Nintendo's eShop page on NES Remix 2)

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Is there some reason why we keep getting Yoshi's Island GBA instead of SNES? I'm not entirely convinced that Nintendo can't be donkeyed to emulate the FX chip.

BaffleBlend

BaffleBlend said:

I... actually think putting on the Updated Rerelease of Yoshi's Island was a good choice. This one was meant to be played on a home console and not a portable, after all, and it provides a bit of fresh air instead of just rereleasing the SNES one... again.

evildevil97

evildevil97 said:

Surprised how good the GBA port looks on VC, as well. While I'm sure it's generally preferred to have the SNES version, I think this was a terrific Plan B. I'm assuming the original was just difficult to emulate. Makes no sense knowing it never arrived on the Wii VC, otherwise.

Also, I was kind of disappointed to see that NES Remix 2 doesn't come out until tomorrow. Oh well, though.