Nintendo Download: 31st October (Europe)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Free fitness for U, Castlevania gets super, a lot of discounts and more

This week's download news for Europe arrived a little later than normal, which we'll assume is an attempt to creep us out before they arrive on the creepiest day of the year. This time around we're light on new releases, though a major Wii franchise makes its awaited début on Nintendo's new system. We also have a Konami Classic and a ridiculous number of discounts, so let's get to the details.

Wii U Virtual Console

Super Castlevania IV (Konami, €7.99 / £5.49) — Now this is a perfect Halloween game, and some would argue — against some fierce opposition — that it's the peak of the Castlevania franchise. This Super NES title is held in particularly high esteem for good reason, and is sure to tempt some downloads on the spookiest night of the year. You can see what we thought in our Wii Virtual Console Super Castlevania IV review until we summon the bravery to tackle it all over again. This is the US version of the game.

Wii U Retail Download

Wii Fit U (Nintendo, free trial) — Arriving on 1st November, you can download a free 31-day trial of the full Wii Fit U software, giving you early access if you also have Wii Balance Board. This could be a far cheaper option than buying the sets coming to retail, as you just need to buy and sync a Fit Metre (available at retail in various colours from the same date as this download) to extend the trial indefinitely. We'll do some stretches and warm up for a review.

Wii U eShop Retail Download Temporary Discounts

Trine 2: Director's Cut (Frozenbyte, €6.79 / £5.49 until 14th November, normally €16.99 / £13.99)

Wii U eShop Retail Temporary Discounts

Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth (Ubisoft, €14.99 / £11.99 until 7th November, normally €29.99 / £23.99)

ZombiU (Ubisoft, €14.99 / £11.99 until 7th November, normally €29.99 / £23.99)

Resident Evil Revelations (Capcom, €29.99 / £23.99 until 14th November, normally €49.99 / £39.99)

Rabbids Land (Ubisoft, €14.99 / £11.99 until 7th November, normally €29.99 / £23.99)

Sports Connection (Ubisoft, €14.99 / £11.99 until 7th November, normally €29.99 / £23.99)

Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013 (Ubisoft, €14.99 / £11.99 until 7th November, normally €29.99 / £23.99)

3DS Retail Download

Hotel Transylvania (Avanquest, €19.99 / £17.99) — This adventure platform is slightly horrifying, and not in a good way, as made clear in our review.

3DS eShop Temporary Discounts

Football Up 3D (EnjoyUp Games, €4.19 / £3.59 until 28th November, normally €6.99 / £5.99)

2 Fast 4 Gnomz (QubicGames, €2.99 / £2.69 until 21st November, normally €4.99 / £4.49)

3DS eShop Retail Download Temporary Discounts

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D (Capcom, €5.99 / £5.39 until 14th November, normally €9.99 / £8.99)

Resident Evil Revelations (Capcom, €17.99 / £14.99 until 14th November, normally €29.99 / £24.99)

3DS eShop Permanent Discount

Aqua Moto Racing 3D (Zordix AB, €7.99 / £7.19), was €9.99 / £8.99) — Price reduced from 1st November.

3DS eShop Retail Download Permanent Discount

MYST (Funbox Media, €13.99 / £12.59, was €19.99 / £17.99) — Price reduced from 1st November

So that's another week down, Europe, with plenty of discounts joining some new releases. Let us know what you plan to download in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (277 votes)

Super Castlevania IV (Wii U Virtual Console)

18%

Wii Fit U (Wii U eShop free retail trial)

39%

Trine 2: Director's Cut (Wii U eShop temporary discount)

Assassin's Creed III (Wii U eShop retail temporary discount)

Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth (Wii U eShop retail temporary discount)

ZombiU (Wii U eShop retail temporary discount)

Resident Evil Revelations (Wii U eShop retail temporary discount)

Rabbids Land (Wii U eShop retail temporary discount)

Sports Connection (Wii U eShop retail temporary discount)

Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013 (Wii U eShop retail temporary discount)

Hotel Transylvania (3DS retail download)

Football Up 3D (3DS eShop temporary discount)

2 Fast 4 Gnomz (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D (3DS eShop retail temporary discount)

Resident Evil Revelations (3DS eShop retail temporary discount)

Aqua Moto Racing 3D (3DS eShop permanent discount)

MYST (3DS eShop retail permanent discount)

Nothing for me this week

21%

Please login to vote in this poll.

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

Wow!!
Assassins and ZombiU for £11.99 each. Bargain,
I bet splinter call goes this way by Xmas ad I was stupid enough to pay £55.99 at launch for it :-( never again ubisoft. Never again

Weird

Weird said:

damn how mean... trine 2 would be so perfect but i dont have the money to buy it yet... hmpf >,<

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

Super castlevania IV!!!!!
Very nice, one of the best SNES games and by far the best castlevania of that generation.

MF_MaxiMillion

MF_MaxiMillion said:

So Revelations has more discount in America than Europe? Dun make no sense, yo! Still, might be a good time to pick it up.

How much blocks is it, again..?

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

Sega? Sega? Where are these mega drive 3d classics???? Especially Shinobi III? I patiently and valiantly left £10 credit on my 3DS for the last 3 months for this game only for it to not materialise. Please hurry or somebody else will end up with my money.

Beta

Beta said:

Does anybody know if Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth is any good for that price? I know that most reviews said it's crappy, but it was retail-priced, so how good would it be with an eShop game price?

wasf

wasf said:

wii fit U and maybe zombie U or AC 3, those prices are sweet!

Emblem

Emblem said:

Those massive discounts are definitely a step in the right direction but nothing for me this week. I don't have a balance board so i'm waiting for Wii U Fit boxed.

jord91

jord91 said:

Wiw what a week might even give assasins creed a go now but definately trine 2 for me and possibly resident evil mercenaries as that price is just insane

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

RE: Mercenaries for me. Revelations' assault mode is awesome (and so is the campaign, great game. Everyone should give it a try).

I hope Capcom develops more 3DS games. REvelations, MH3 and SSFIV are some of the best games the 3DS has to offer.

ChessboardMan

ChessboardMan said:

I just had a quick look into Fit Metres… is it just more, or are the different colours just a ring around the middle and that's it, apart from the Black version?
Hardly seems the most effective use of colour?

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

@MadAussieBloke by the end of the year we see these Sega classics on 3DS an the addition of mega drive and Saturn to the virtual console I would explosively soil myself

cookiex

cookiex said:

I'll be downloading the Wii Fit U trial before anything else. Time to dust off and bring out the balance board! :)

daveh30

daveh30 said:

I hope that UbiSoft sale carries over to NA this week. I already have AC3 and ZU, but I've been weirdly curious about Rabbids Land. At this price I would give it a shot. Wii Fit U is a no brainer.

Chris77

Chris77 said:

Wii Fit U for sure, will be ordering the fit meter as well. Might take the RE:R 3DS as I sold my card of that before I had an XL. Would be good to have it on the go. Never played AC, but at £12 I might have to give that a little go.

eza

eza said:

I picked up a used balance board last week in anticipation for €25. Looking forward to trying it out soon!

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

I still use Wii Fit and don't really need to upgrade and I don't want to use an excessive amount of my 32GB on it, but it sounds like it will be much cheaper than going retail.

Will be using my first £5 of Network Premium Points to buy Castlevania :)

ikki5

ikki5 said:

Super castlevania IV... a decent VC title, nice. i ope we get it in North America too. I'll finally have something else to buy on the e-shop.

LeVideoGamer

LeVideoGamer said:

Better than past weeks, but nothing for me again. Not a fan of Castlevania or Wii Fit.

I might finally buy The Wonderful 101 this week.

rjejr

rjejr said:

With the Trine 2, ZombieU and AC3 deep discounts Nintendo should think about a "Plus" program like on PSN.

They could call it "Players Choice" ;-) Each month players get a choice from 2 games. One of the main complaints of PS+ is giving out games people already own.

Mainer82

Mainer82 said:

I'll buy the Wii Fit U Disc and use it with our existing board. It'll be a nice Christmas gift for my Wife.

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

What a timing! O_O
Just saw few days ago a shop selling ACIII and Zombi U at 20€ and was considering if get at least one of them, but now I could get both of them with those prices ^o^

FishieFish

FishieFish said:

Trine 2 is discounted by that much?!
Sweet, I'll get it!
I have heard good things about this game.

Late

Late said:

I'm going to get the Wii Fit U trial. Some really nice discounts but I already own Assassin's Creed 3 and Trine 2 and I'm not into horror games so no Resident Evil or Zombi U for me.

Marshi

Marshi said:

Being a gentleman of the rotund nature im quite excited for wii fit u! Guna get the fit metre and go on a mega excercise routine. Ive always had a problem with weight and wii fit is the ONLY thing ive had success with, I lost nearly 3 stone last year because of wii fit so it does work people!

nono6400

nono6400 said:

Super Castlevania IV is a very nice game... who aged. It's still a very good nostalgia moment for those who played it when it was released and it might still catch the interest of the others, enough to be played till its final credits.But its gameplay feels now very very old.

In my opinion, Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis) is a little more interesting, Dracula X (Nec, Super Nes) is far more challenging and fascinating, and the masterpiece of the saga still is Symphony of the Night (PSone, Saturn)...

Spanjard

Spanjard said:

Assasins creed for €15? I like where this is going.

Anyone knows how much space the game takes up?

datamonkey

datamonkey said:

"Assassin's Creed III (Ubisoft, €14.99 / £11.99 until 7th November, normally €69.99 / £54.99)"

AC3 has been available for about £12.50 on Amazon/shopto for at least 6 months so really this price is just in line with the actual market price. I hope nobody paid £55 for it from the eshop.

erv

erv said:

AC3 is worth that price, I paid it for retail though.

I'm thinking about zombiU, it seems to be worth the experiment :)

gaby_gabito

gaby_gabito said:

I didn't realize Wii Fit U would be coming so soon! Does anyone know if a new balance board is in the works? I don't want to purchase one now, just to have to order a new one later on.

Mahe

Mahe said:

Didn't remember that Wii Fit U was this soon!

@gaby_gabito Nope, they're using the same Balance Boards with Wii Fit U. No known difference from the existing ones.

Big_L91

Big_L91 said:

@DESS-M-8 yeah i learned to only really buy first party from day one since mario and the like seem to keep there price. i mean galaxy 2 is still £30 2nd hand most places.

edit all though its a double edge sword really as no support means less realeses in the future.

Jack_Package

Jack_Package said:

Luckily for me, I bought AC3 brand new for £8 last week, so I already know how rubbish it is and saved myself £3 this week

I might be stupid enough to pick up Marvel, though

Oubie

Oubie said:

Why is there zero promotion on tv about Wii Fit U? Or are they waiting for the physical release around Dec 6 (Europe), Dec 13 (NA)? And what about Wii Sports Club? I know Club is only a digital release but still... 2 of the most succesful products of the Wii era need a bigger marketing push!

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

I didn't realise all I need to do in order to get Wii Fit U permanent was buy the fit metre - excellent!

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Wii Fit U full DL is "free" with wii fit u meter which is around £20. :). No brainer! On my 2012th day on wii fit plus baby

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

Already have Assassin's Creed III, ZombiU and Trine 2, so it's Wii Fit U for me, and maybe, just maybe Resident Evil Revelations and Super Castlevania IV.

ledreppe

ledreppe said:

I heard the free Wii Fit U trial runs from 1st Nov to 31st January. So does that mean that if I download it this Friday, would I be able to start it for the first time on 31st January and still get the whole free month after that?

I just don't have time for it until the xmas games rush is over, but I wouldn't want to miss out on the free trial, 'cause if I like it I will then purchase the Fit Meter to unlock the time limit.

ACK

ACK said:

Anyone who doesn't pick up ZombiU at that price is crazy. It's a great survival FPS that can be picked up for a quick fix or played for hours on end. There's no foreplay here. Because of this, I'll likely play it routinely for years and I can't commend it enough for that.

An excellent download.

MussakkuLaden

MussakkuLaden said:

Great discounts from Ubisoft, but I already have those games. RE Revelations is still too expensive for me, one should soon be able to get the retail version for the same price or lower.
However, nice as the discount for AC III is, I had wished they would bring a discount on the DLC instead. All 3 parts of the Washington add-on will now cost more than twice as much as the main game...

NES_64

NES_64 said:

Downloading full retail games for first time. ZombieU and Wii Fit U. Preordered my 'Fit Metre.' But I still use and will continue to use my Pokewalker.

mch

mch said:

Wii Fit U of course! IT´S FINALLY HERE! ..uhm.. almost..!
Gotta get those thingies.. WII FIT METERS! one in light green and one in black for me. :)

mch

mch said:

@ACK
Totally agree with you. People get ZombiU it´s very much worth it! Get scared!

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I might buy Super Castlevania IV, Assassin's Creed III, 2 Fast 4 Gnomz &/or Aqua Moto Racing 3D. Definitely downloading Wii Fit U & going to buy a Wii Fit Meter sometime in November. Great deals all around :D

WYLD-WOO

WYLD-WOO said:

Only one very poor 3DS title this week? Am I missing a trick, because there is no treat for my 3DS...

Oniinside

Oniinside said:

discounts on ZombiU and Revelations tempt me... given that I have a 5 euros discount

WYLD-WOO

WYLD-WOO said:

@Salnax
Both Resident Evil titles are great games, sure your enjoy Mercs. For the people that already have both, it seems like a trick instead of treat this Halloween on the 3DS.

AdanVC

AdanVC said:

I lost all hopes to see A Link to the Past on Virtual Console... It would have been perfect to release it to keep the hype of ALBW going. Sigh.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

Nothing new for me this week....although I've still got some stuff on my 3DS E-Shop watchlist, so I'll probably just get something I didn't have the spare cash for a few weeks ago.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

The Resi games sure are tempting at those prices... Anyone even half interested in AC3 and ZombiU should not miss this opportunity :O.
Will get the Wii Fit Trial at some point, might be time to buy a second hand balance board :)

electrolite77

electrolite77 said:

Will be downloading Wii Fit U myself, picked up a Balance Board from Game for £7.99 so all I need is the meter and I'm good to go.

Won't be bothering with anything else until that Account System is sorted out

Vriess

Vriess said:

Will buy the Castlevania IV Wii U "upgrade", Trine 2 and maybe Assassin's Creed III.

Still waiting for the rest of the Virtual Console titles though.... :S

banacheck

banacheck said:

I'm surprised people still haven't played ZombiU or ACIII, i'm trying to finish all my unplayed games before the 29/11. Rayman Legends, Dragon's Crown, Kingdom of Hearts 1.5, Ni no Kuni, Remember Me & still got too finish Diablo III and playing Batman Arkham Origins at the moment. I'm waiting for Mario 3D & Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze for my Wii U, everything else PS4 or PS3 only. Only one month too go and counting.

Sinister

Sinister said:

Hmm i am thinking about Revelations on the 3DS.
If you do not own Mercenaries on the 3DS you should pick it up. Great fun.

JustinH

JustinH said:

If you don't have ZombiU, this is a great price for it. If you have a Wii U and you consider yourself even an occasional survival horror fan, get it.

Luna-Harmony

Luna-Harmony said:

Great timeing for castlevania being on thursday.
I recommend Trine2 to anybody the wiiu version is best. I own trine one and two on ps3 and the wiiu version is the best version for shore.

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

I'll definitely upgrade Super Castlevania! A nice game to play during the halloween weekend.
I'm glad it's the US version. Isn't it supposed to be faster than the PAL version?

vampyren

vampyren said:

Damn you i was so hyped about Super Castlevania IV but its not available in EU (Sweden) i just cried inside ;( :(

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

@banacheck you're buyin a PS4? At launch? Ohhhhhh dear. Wii U might have released a year late, but PS4 is at least 2 years too early. An utterly pointless release at this time. Offering the same games as I'll be able to get on my PS3? For more money? Looking virtually the same??? They should have waited two years for the next generation of graphics adds and then developed and released. Anything multi format goes on my Wii U. Anything else (battlefield, uncharted, beyond two souls and last of us, PS3. May look at a PS4 when try iron out the bugs and maybe have built up some worthwhile exclusives
In a few years. Next month? Not a chance.
I think there's a real chance some of the exclusive 2nd party studios with Sony and Microsoft may go multi format over next 3 years. Namely naughty dog, quantum dream and rare. We've already seen Bungie leave to develop where they like. Maybe Sony and Microsoft should develop their own software instead of just under par hardware. Speaking from experience of 3 360s, 2 and 3PS3s. Microsoft will never darken my door again and Sony is just about hanging on by it's teeth. It was saved by the lack of battlefield on wii u this year and the fact beyond two souls turned out to be bloody amazing

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

@Vriess II it is an upgrade, you're getting it at 60hz instead of 50hz and off-tv Gamepad play.
If you could just have your wii version on your wii u but just on the tv and at the old 50hz for free, would you? Oh wait you can, just boot up your wii mode. If you want the extra features then it's at an upgrade price of what? £1.50 or something? Sod all in other words. If you're getting it, you obviously value what's on offer. You can already play the version you already have somewhat are you complaining about?

DavidH

DavidH said:

Any idea when Wii Fit U will be up? wasn't at 7.30 this morning UK time.
Cheers.

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

Quite disappointed that USA gets RE:Revelations for 10 dollars and Europe has to pay twice that with 18 euros. Very bad pricing from Capcom. No purchase with those uneven prices.