CoroCoro Magazine Reveals Pokémon X & Y Starter Evolutions, Mega Mewtwo X and New 'Mon

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

All aboard the magazine scan hype train!

We have genuine fears for the health of some Pokémon fans; if the game doesn't arrive soon they may, as we've previously suggested, spontaneously combust. The Pokémon Company doesn't mind, however, as it continually feeds new information that makes many of us — even the uninitiated — want to play this game yesterday. The Pokémon X & Y releases are about a month away from their 12th October release, so we've got more hype to handle.

As is our now traditional routine, we cast our gaze to early scans of CoroCoro magazine (visible below), which typically trump official announcements. Serebii has once again done sterling work in bringing translated information to us, with this week's reveals including an image of Mega Mewtwo X, evolutions for the new starters Chespin, Fennekin and Froakie, and some new 'mon. Below are the details.

Middle starter evolutions

• Hariboogu (ハリボーグ) — Chespin's evolution. A pure Grass-type that knows the move Mud Shot.
  • Teerunaa — Fennekin's evolution. A pure Fire-type that knows the move Psycho Cut.
  • Gerogashira — Froakie's evolution. A pure Water-type that knows Bounce.

Two Fossil Pokémon

• Chigorasu. A Rock/Dragon T-Rex which has a new ability called 'Hard Jaw', which increases the attack power of biting moves and knows Crunch.
  • Amarusu. A Rock/Ice Diplodocus which has a new ability called Freeze Skin, which turns Normal type moves into Ice-type moves and raises their power. It knows Aurora Beam.

Two other new Pokémon

• Torimian. A white dog that was seen in the recent Pokémon Direct and is a Normal-type. It has a new ability called Fur Coat which reduces Physical Damage. You can also customise its appearance.
  • Nyaonikusu. A psychic-type cat which has male and female appearances. Moves vary by gender. The male is more of a supporter while the female is more of an attacker; the female knows Extrasensory and the male knows Miracle Eye. It has Keen Eye or Infiltrator.

Fairy Type chart

• Reportedly, Fairy is Super Effective on Fighting, Dark and Dragon and not effective on Fire, Poison or Steel. Is weak to Poison and Steel while resists Fighting, Dark and Bug. It is immune to Dragon.

Mega Evolutions - Mewtwo and Garchomp

• Each game has a named Mewtwo exclusive to that version. Mega Mewtwo X is a Psychic/Fighting-type and has the ability Steadfast. Mega Mewtwo Y is exclusive to Pokémon Y, no further details yet. They use the items Mewtwonite X & Mewtwonite Y to Mega Evolve.
  • Mega Garchomp has the ability Sandforce

Miscellaneous

Change your hair and clothes at a Boutique and Salon, reflected in the graphics, with a famous actress called Karune. Team Flare has five scientists, Kuseroshiki, Momiji, Bara, Akebi, Corea.

As always thanks are due to Serebii, and names and details may be slightly different once The Pokémon Company makes its official announcements for the Western localisations. So, what do you think of these details and the images below?

[via serebii.net]

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Awesome pictures. Mega Mewtwo X looks pretty buff and I like that design more than the other one. The evolved Fennekin looks radically different. Not only can it stand on its hind legs, but it even lost its tail! This is crazy stuff.

YT-SutibunDatsW

YT-SutibunDatsW said:

I told EVERYONE i know Mega Salamance wont work because you have to wait till lv.60 for him to evolve.
Garchomp was the perfect choice with the theory of choosing Mega Evolutions for High Attacking Stat Pokemon. And his lv to evolve is only 48
Good job Gamefreak ^_^

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

yeah wtf happen to that grass starter ._. it wasnt my fav but dam wtf but darn Fennekin looks ok-ish :| only cool one is froakie and i wasnt even going to choose him :o darn it all.... then theres mewtwo ugh -___- glad im getting Y and not X

lol jaydenn!

Ecto-1

Ecto-1 said:

@DestinyMan But Fennekin's evolution still has its tail though.

These second stages aren't too bad, but I am not sure what they were thinking with Chespin's evolution. Looks like someone stuffed a cheerful round gopher into an Axew costume (or am I thinking of Larvitar). I'm getting a serious sense of deja vu from that tail.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

@Ecto-1: I meant that Fennekin's tail isn't attached to its body, though. Now it looks like Fennekin might use the tail as a brush for attacking.

I like that dinosaur Chigorasu.

-Crystalline-

-Crystalline- said:

Finally. Pokemon start looking good, again.

Gosh, the fifth generation was the ugliest. Things seemed rushed.

randomlypikachu

randomlypikachu said:

Well now I know what starter I'm getting XD

But now I'm not sure if I want Y after seeing this new mewtwo mega....

Leandro

Leandro said:

What were they thinking when they created a MEGA GARCHOMP? It's an abomination, will wreck every single pokemon in battles (not that it's a bad thing for those who have garchomp, lol). Gotta get him guys before the game lauches!

Marakuto

Marakuto said:

Sableye and Spiritomb now have a weakness (excluding the previous way of using a ghost revealing move then fighting type attack to counter them) and Eelektross now holds the title with no weakness (unless Mold breaker/Smack down/ Gravity is involved).

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

So a Megamewtwo per game? Sold! For the fifth or so time already!!

Those starters look freaky. What is that thing protruding from Teerunaa's tail? Looks like a branch.

RazzFox

RazzFox said:

people need to calm down these are second evos. if its 3rd is good who cares?
remember torchikcs 2nd it looked awful . but it evolves to blaziken so no harm done

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

After all these years we finally get a legit T-Rex Pokemon AND IT'S A ROCK/DRAGON plus the Dilpodocus was a complete surprise and the fact that it can not only turn normal type moves into ice type moves but power them up as well. Glad I chose Froakie from the beginning. Maybe these middle evolution moves are hints at their finals typing. Grass/Ground, Fire/Psychic, and Water/Flying

LtAldoRaine

LtAldoRaine said:

Ugh,hated how Chespin's evolution looks. And I know it's not going to be,but the fact that Fennekin's evolution is standing up makes me fear that we're going to have another Fire/Fight starter :P I liked Froakie's evolution quite a bit. Still,these are only second evolutions,so I'm hoping Chespin will have a cool final evolution (and maybe Fennekin's and Froakie's will be terrible,who knows?)

LtAldoRaine

LtAldoRaine said:

Oh,I just now read the Fairy-type-chart-thingy. Immune to Dragon,huh? Well,that's awesome,Gardevoir just got a huge boost,I love that Pokémon.

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

Nappa Vegeta, what's Mewtwo X's power level!
Vegeta We need to solve for X! Crush Scouter
Nappa What?! Solve for X? We're no good at Algebra!
Vegeta Shut up Nappa!
Nappa I think Chespin's evolution is cute :3
I know, it's too early in the morning for a math joke

Gioku

Gioku said:

Goddamnit. There are multiple mega evolutions! At least for Mewtwo... this is a bit much... :$

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

I love the fossil Pokemon this go-around. They look so awesome. Not too sure about the 2nd evolutions for the starters though. I still think the games are going to be awesome.

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

Love what i've seen from x & y so far (except maybe chespins evolution lol). 31 days til release. I cant wait. Preordered Y at Gamestop and got a neat map of the Kalos region. Seems like this game will be bigger than any Pokemon game before it, so i'm stoked to play it and battle/trade with my family and friends. Iys gonna be awesome.

steamhare

steamhare said:

I'm still going chespin, at this stage. He retains his lol troll look.

Also... Is that a baby T-rex pokemon?

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

Lol, like we really needed another type weak against Steel. That makes what, 12 now? Out of 18?

Hopefully Fenniken's final form looks a little more... aesthetically pleasing. At least it's unlikely to be another Fire/Fighting. Hariboogu looks hilariously awful.

Nyaonikusu sounds awesome!

Romeo

Romeo said:

ok, i've already posted this in the thread, but... am i really the only one who has a problem with this?

Mewtwo 2 evolutions, 1 exclusive to X, the other to Y.
if a pokemon is exclusive to 1 version, you can still get it.. via trade, etc.

but a mega evolution being exclusive?
that means...if you choose to play X.. you will NEVER be able to get mewtwo's Y evolution on your x game...
you can get all the pokemon, all mega evolutions.. except for 1

if you want to build a team around mewtwo's second evolution.. you will have to buy the other version (Y in this case) - many will do this anway
but you will NEVER have both mega evolutions on 1 version..

= you won't have 1 mewtwo with both mega evolutions available in battle + you won't have 2x mewtwo (1 with x-evolution and the other with y-evolution)
if you play X.. every mewtwo you'll get will only have the X-evolution

absolutely terrible.

• fennekin, chespin evolutions = horrible
  • only 1 legendary for each gen rumored to have a mega evolution = terrible
    no mew, etc. mega evolutions :/

a t-rex pokemon tho? that's great!

RazzFox

RazzFox said:

Romeo@ the second evo doesent matter becuse their not final and all games have all-ways had exclusives so what if you carnt have both mewtwo forms dude relax

Yrreiht

Yrreiht said:

@Romeo Sheesh, calm down, why would you use 2 Mewtwos anyway? Legendaries are banned in online battles and using them in the adventure seems a bit cheating.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@LordJumpMad - its never too early in the morning for a Vegeta - shut up Napa! comment though.

Do they sell this mag in the US? Even in Japanese I get the impression this issue would sell.

Shadowkiller97

Shadowkiller97 said:

@Romeo So far we know that Mega Evolutions are temporary 1-battle forms. We don't know how often it is possible or how permanent the stones are, Furthermore, unlike a regular evolution, the Mega Evolutions require the Pokemon to have the right Mega stone. In that case, if you are okay with trading, this should not bother you because you can always trade a Pokemon holding Mewtwonite X or Mewtwonite Y so that you can get your other Mega Mewtwo evolution in the opposite game. Therefore, I see no reason why you cannont have two Mewtwo's, with one holding the X stone and the other with the Y stone.

Neferupitou

Neferupitou said:

The hell?, Mewtwo is already too overpowered...well other pokes getting overpowered too so...maybe it,s just me.

Romeo

Romeo said:

oh man....
it's not about about having 2 mewtwo's in my team, it's about being able to have EVERYTHING there is in this game
every pokemon + every mega evolution.. on 1 version of the game

it's about BEING ABLE to say (when playing X): "yea, i feel like using the Y-evolution today, should be fun...."

or being able to say... "i've "collected"/catched everything there is in this game"

i just want to be able to have ALL content on 1 version... if a pokemon is exclusive to Y.. i can still get it and use it on X
i want the same thing with mewtwo's 2 mega evolutions

i dont want to use 2x mewtwo with their different evolutions in online battles...wtf?
are you high?

SpinelessOyster

SpinelessOyster said:

@YT-SutibunDatsW It's still probably going to be my choice. I'm not too turned off by it. I just hope this is some kind of cocoon or something that leads to a much more wicked final evo.

Romeo

Romeo said:

i mean.. why would i ever do that? that doesn't even make sense... we'll have 700+ pokemon.. and we're only able to have 6 in our team
don't need 2x the same on my team..

3Daniel

3Daniel said:

@Romeo they could just release mewtwoniteX or mewtwoniteY as a timed event down the road. And you were never able to catch em all using 1 version of a generation.

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

@CaviarMeths Actually, that would make 3 Pokemon types weak to Steel; the other two are Ice and Rock. However, it also means that Steel now has 13 types it resists.

It's still mostly a defensive type, especially since most Steel Pokemon either have small movepools or low attacking stats (there are exceptions).

Romeo

Romeo said:

@3Daniel i wouldn't even mind having to buy both version.. if i'd be able to put both mewtwo's on 1 version at the end of the day
that's what im concerned about

if i try to trade/transer the Y evolution to X, if a message will pop up saying
"you can't have Mewtwo Y on Pokemon X. Please put in Pokemon Y to use Mewtwo Y."

IKAY

IKAY said:

Am I the only one, who noticed that the llama pokemon has multiple colours?

The grass evolution is not as cool as I expected it to be. Better the final stage looks better. The T-Rex is the fossil I always wanted. It's evolution must look baddonkey!

JuanitoShet

JuanitoShet said:

Wow. All of these new creatures look so ODD. It's crazy! The ones I immediately liked are the T-Rex & the psychic Pokémon. :B

Mega Mewtwo X doesn't look as great as Mega Mewto Y — probably in the minority in this opinion. :B

Shadowkiller97

Shadowkiller97 said:

@Romeo
"if i try to trade/transer the Y evolution to X, if a message will pop up saying
"you can't have Mewtwo Y on Pokemon X""

Where did you get that information? Are you all worked up over speculation/assumption? And as I stated before, it appears Mega Evolutions are tied to the stone the Pokemon is holding, which you CAN trade between games if the Pokemon holding it is traded.

Ecto-1

Ecto-1 said:

@Romeo There have been instances in the past in which it was not possible to obtain all forms of a pokemon on a single version of a game. Take for instance Deoxys in generation 3. In that generation, Deoxys' form depended on what version of the game you were playing (Ruby and Sapphire got normal form, FireRed got attack form, LeafGreen got defense form, and Emerald got speed form). There was no way to obtain every form on a single game. Even if you traded one from FireRed to Emerald, it would change from attack form to speed form.

Shadowkiller97

Shadowkiller97 said:

@IKAY I think you are referring to Torimian? Which is a dog Pokemon and it is mentioned in the article that it is customizable.

AddDavey

AddDavey said:

Aww, Mega Mewtwo X looks awesome but I'm getting Y :( suppose they have to balance the awesomeness of Yveltal!

TwoSmoove

TwoSmoove said:

@Romeo The same thing happened with Deoxys and his forms back in Gen 3. You couldn't have more than one form because they were exclusive to the game you had him on. They remedied that in Gen 4 and up though, so maybe that'll be the case here too.

MasterChordles

MasterChordles said:

And it looks like another fire/fighting starter. Hopefully the final evolution isn't :| froakie looks fresking awesome though

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

Read all of this earlier. Good news! Fennekin and Froakie's evolution looks pretty cool.. Chespin just looks bloated. Also, Mega MewTwo Y looks cooler than X IMO, although I'm going to be playing X though.

Yosher

Yosher said:

At least these starting Pokémon evolutions are the middle ones. So there's still room for improvement for the fully evolved ones!

And with Fennekin's evolution knowing Psycho Cut, that can possibly mean the fully evolved form will be Psychic type instead of Fighting for once.

Sandro89

Sandro89 said:

Oh damn this game is gonna be awesome.
Not that keen on the starter evo's but usually the 2nd stages arent that pretty so yeah. 1st and 2nd gen starters were good but after that they got uglier and uglier.

Mewtwo X and Y is great, i like Y more but a fighting Mewtwo is great too.

3Daniel

3Daniel said:

I was hoping for grass dark for chespin line with an emphasis on the hood his starter wears much like scraggy in terms of deaign but o well. Ive never been a fire fan but fenns evo looks cool with the detatched tail. I really like mewtwoY but i need a xerneas. Funny how varied everyone's opinions can be. Also trex looks awesome, the poodle pokemon i thought was an absol preve...

Wonder_Ideal

Wonder_Ideal said:

Wow. Froakie's second stage is looking pretty slick. That is just continuing to make me happy that I chose Froakie. :D

Yosher

Yosher said:

@ShadowFox254 I was talking design-wise. I personally don't really care about the competitive scene, I simply use the Pokémon I want to use, whether they're in top uber god wreck-it-all tier or bottom-of-the-crap-well tier. If I like them, I'll take them into my team!

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

I kind of like Fennekin's evolution, I think the 3rd form is going to be really cool. Also I think they practically confirmed fire/psychic for 3rd form. He's definitely my starter, I really hope he's useful on competitive teams.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

Chespin is becoming increasingly dire, the Fennekin and Froakie mid evolves look nice though. I love the four completely new ones.
@John-San3 Five may have had some duff designs but generation 4 seems hugely uninspired to me. (Except for that adorably awesome whale pokemon.)

PokeNerd

PokeNerd said:

@DestinyMan You might want to re-look at Fennekins evolved form. It clearly has a tail, I just don't get why it has a stick in its fur.

OptometristLime

OptometristLime said:

@DarkKirby lmao!

Fennekin went from cute and elegant for me, to... looking like a Digimon or something. That's alright though; Fire types aren't my usual choice and I actually like Chespin. He is squealing "Hug me!" at the top of his lungs. :D

Shadowkiller97

Shadowkiller97 said:

@PokeNerd That was my initial reaction to his comment too... but looking at it again I can kind of see what he is seeing... It looks kind of like a broom-accessory with that stick popping out.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Fennekin's final form will be a kabuki actor with a fox mask - calling it now!
But really...the frog is probably the only one that looks good now.
Loving the Dragon-type T-Rex fossil Pokemon though, but Garchomp's Mega form looks...meh
Jeez, whatever happened to the days when a fire starter's second form still looked cool? Charmeleon was awesome and Quilava had an aura of coolness about it.

Justaguest

Justaguest said:

Going for Froakie then. Chespin looks ugly and Fennekin is really weird >< I guess I was expecting him to be quadruped but the stick pierced into his tail.. shivers. my prediction for final evolution is fighting/water, psychic/fire, ground/grass althou tahts probably not that hard to guess now.

SpinelessOyster

SpinelessOyster said:

I like the idea of a customizable Pokemon. I'd be kind of cool if something similar could be implemented into a couple others as well.

jpfan1989

jpfan1989 said:

Mewtwo X, friggen awesome.
Chigurasu, T Rex, Finally! Its about time!
Amerusu.. Are you sure that is a diplodocus? Its looks more like a Brachiosaur or maybe another sauropod who's name I can't remember right now.

Volmun

Volmun said:

is Fennekin's tail a pain brush? lol eniway il be going with the frog (lol alwayes liked him naw i do more)

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

Well until today I was most likely going with Chespin but now I think Froakie will be my choice.

PKNoUsernameHere

PKNoUsernameHere said:

I was going to go with Chespin or Fennekin but their new Evolutions look ugly,So I'm gonna go with Froakie and Charmander.

Morgan19

Morgan19 said:

Surprised no one's said this yet, but given the game's France-influenced location, Fennekin's second evo apperance absolutely screams "french maid outfit"...

My guess is that Chespin will be like Butterfree, where it starts out normal, then cocoons, then becomes something more menacing.

Froakie4Life

Froakie4Life said:

Okay, fennekin's evo is clearly suppose to resemble a witch with a broom on its back (it's stick tail thing) which definitely points to it being fire/physic. Overall I think it looks cool and has a lot of 3rd evo potential, and so does froakie's... But as for chespin? God no.

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

O my, I was impressed with Chespin, but what the hell did they do to him in his second evolution. I bet the third one will be a ball of an egg. Jeez.

Never like Froakie and don't like his evolution at all. Fennekin's evolution looks kinda alright though.

I will never let Bulbasaur evolve. So unless the third evolution brings some surprises, I will either end up with two Grass Pokemon I don't want to evolve or with Bulbasaur and the firefox.

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

Mega Garchomp looks scary as hell...

...my gawd, what have they done to you, poor Chespin? That last evo better get it right because I still want Chespin. :(

Froakie's evo does look badass though....

Shadowkiller97

Shadowkiller97 said:

@Sneaker13 I think Chespin (which has armor based on a chestnut I think) is evolving towards an armor based mammal. So my guess for its final form is a more armored/fierce looking armadillo.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Fossil Pokemon seem interesting...Mega Garchomp looks...weird to me, but okies. xD

PokeNerd

PokeNerd said:

@Shadowkiller97 I agree with you there. But if it were a broom or brush I would that it would have to be held. Perhaps the stick can be removed from the fur and used as a weapon much like farfetch uses a leek, or timburr, gurdurr and conkledor use a post, beam and stone pillars. I know those items aren't attached to them but it's a possibility. Course maybe it is removable. All we can do is wait for more info or for the game to come out so we can see for ourselves and read the pokedex.

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

I love the new fossils and Mega Mewtwo version exclusives. The new fairy type information is the best news though.

Dynetheous

Dynetheous said:

Froakie's evolved form is actually translated as gekogashira, they messed up on the second katagana, its a ko not a ro.

ZephyrTortera

ZephyrTortera said:

The Chespin evo isnt terrible I just hope he looks better in final. Im liking the other twos as well. Mega Garchmp is AMAZING!!!! And since I'm getting X mewtwo X WILL BE MINES! liking the new ones as well.

Sensei_Sendai

Sensei_Sendai said:

Am I the only one that likes the Chespin Evolution. He's cute and Derpy.

Not a big fan of the Fennekin Evo and my favorite is Froakie's Evo. I'm kind of scared that the Standing Fennekin may mean we get another Fighting/Fire...I will hurt someone if that happens.

OOH! Psybeam and Pyschic, that means Fire/Physic. That's a first -_-

Bassman_Q

Bassman_Q said:

Well, first-form-wise, Chespin's was my favorite and Froakie's was my least, and with these second forms, Froakie's is my favorite and Chespin's is my least favorite. :/ I'm still gonna choose Chespin, but I may never let him evolve. Still, I have my fingers crossed since some of the last few gens' 2nd evolutions of the starters were pretty bad, yet the last form ended up pretty baddonkey. Take Piplup, for example. His first form was effin' adorable, yet his second was damn ugly, and his third made him an absolute baddonkey penguin. XD

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@Gaminguy010 considering how many psychic attacks it's getting prepare to be wrong. They havn't revealed a single fighting type move for it to my knowledge. The smart money is on fire/psychic.

miletich3

miletich3 said:

Why is Chespin's evolution so fat? Oh and my intuition tells me the starters final evolutions will appear once Pokemon X & Y comes out.

TobiasAmaranth

TobiasAmaranth said:

I have never been more pleased by an X Y update. Fennekin becomes furry, Mega Mewtwo gets a non-ugly version, and the first ever female-is-distinct-from-male Pokemon (appropriately originating from a fossil).

Tsukun

Tsukun said:

Chespin's evolution as rad as heck. It's like a little cuddly version of a Fire Emblem knight. Fennekin's evolution with the twig in its tail reminds me of a witch. (maybe its tail is meant to look like a witch's broom?) Froakie's looks like a hooded thief-type of character, not bad.

I'm still going with Chespin, personally, but these all look pretty cool.

Nabbit101

Nabbit101 said:

I don't know why but I just have to have Chespin's evolution but Froakie doesn't look to bad but the fox is well weird Now Garchomp just looks like a shark on land IMO

Skeet102

Skeet102 said:

i love froakies evo, mega mewtwo x, and the fossil pokemon. I really wanted ghost to be good against fairy though. BTW, fennekins evo has a stick in its tail, sticks are used as weapons, weapons are used in fighting, fire fighting type confirmed. : P

Shadowkiller97

Shadowkiller97 said:

@Skeet102 Fennekin's evolution has a stick in its tail. Wands are essentially sticks. Wands are used as a way to channel energy. Fire/Psychic confirmed :P

Talismans (i.e. the spoons held by Kadabra and Alakazam) can be made of anything. Fennekin's evolution has a stick in its tail, sticks are used as talismans, talismans are used to channel psychic energy, Fire/Psychic confirmed :P

Intrepid

Intrepid said:

I'm so glad Froakie was my choice from the beginning! I'm so sorry to all of the Chespin fans though...

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

Hmm...not so sure on these starter EVO's. I never evolved my Snivy because that 3rd evolution sucked so that better not happen with Chespin.....

MontMartre

MontMartre said:

Why is it the more I look at chespins evolution the more I start to really like it! It's so happy looking! :D I'm a bad person arn't I... XD

MeWario

MeWario said:

Wow! Big news! Second evolution is always the least important so I'll wait till the third evolutions are revealed before I judge. So far I still LOVE Froakie :)

MeWario

MeWario said:

It's funny people here are saying Fennekin will end up fire/psychic... Judging by the legs and stick/broom I'd say it is going to be fire/dark.

Die2Distroy

Die2Distroy said:

I got this idea from someone else, but I'll share them anyway, the Starters this Gen could be based of Medieval Fantasy, especially since Kalos is based in France. Chespin's line could be based on Knights/Warriors, Fennekin's line could be based on a Witch/Mage and Froakie's line being based on a Rogue/Thief.

Shadowkiller97

Shadowkiller97 said:

@MeWario It is partly based on it learning "Psycho Cut" and partly based on the original reveal trailer with Fennekin unleashing what looked a lot like a psychic type attack.

Nico85

Nico85 said:

Wanted froakie right form the start but i'm still excited to see the other starters' final evolutions! This game will be awesome! Btw am i the only one who liked combusken more than blaziken ?

Swiket

Swiket said:

I vaguely remember when NintendoLife posted an article about the new Gen 5 starters, and the article was basically complaining about how ugly they were. Feels like just yesterday I was defending poor Oshawott.

gamerphil07

gamerphil07 said:

OOOOHHH!! I get it now! Kalos = France, so they made a poodle pokemon! Hah! I just got a poodle... how ironic. I also guessed megaman and villager for smash, and a new mario game similar to mario bros. 2 (3d world) and I guessed mega garchomp and blastoise! 2013 is my lucky year!

Arcamenel

Arcamenel said:

Chespin is rumored to become grass/dark but so far it looks too happy-go-lucky to be a dark type. If the rumor is true, it must go through a drastic change in its last evolution.
@DarkNinja9 I think they're both adorable but favor the male version more.

JubilifeRival

JubilifeRival said:

Awesome! I knew from the start Chespin was a derpy troll, so screw him. Makes me so glad Froakie got this cool of an evo! He may turn out to be one of my favorite starters. I saw a "leak" a while ago on Fennekin and the (most likely) fan art looks almost exactly like this! I'm so happy with the fossil guys and Garchomp will pwn even more. So happy Nintendo :)

Nabbit101

Nabbit101 said:

@Froakie4Life Makes me hope if Fennekin's final evolution is psychic it'll look like some fox/witch thing and then I'll choose it otherwise me want chespin!!!

MeWario

MeWario said:

@Glare I feel the same way about Froakie, best starter to come along since Gold/Silver in my opinion. I love him! Bit disappointed his beard seems to be less prominent though :(

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

My question is what are they talking about with those screenshots of Bebe on the bottom? You know the Fairy type Pokemon that looks like a flower.

Jarod

Jarod said:

@Romeo im reading this late so somebody probably already got to you but it said the mewtwo will come with a mega stone x or y depending on the game that doesnt mean you couldnt trade with somone who has the mewtwo with a y stone to get the y mewtwo on x...

BigDaddysPizza

BigDaddysPizza said:

Hey people, Serebii just reported that Steel is going to lose its resistance to Dark and Ghost moves. It now has 11 immunities instead of 13. What do you guys think?

BlatantlyHeroic

BlatantlyHeroic said:

Guys, we've never been able to trade transformation items before, do you think they'll really change that? I don't mean that in a rude way, I'm just stating what they usually do.

3Daniel

3Daniel said:

@Archgamer some of us aren't into competitive battling ;) its like adopting a dog. some turn out brilliant and others... not so much. but once we choose them we stick by them regardless of their stats and abilities. I love grass types even though they have the most weaknesses. And I always get a Jigglypuff on my team even though she's not the greatest battler by far simply because I have a soft spot for the singing puff ball.

Kasplat

Kasplat said:

@Archgamer Personally 1/2 of what determines what goes in my team is their looks, and I think others feel the same way. Cuz nobody wants a Bibarel in their team, no matter how good it is.

mamp

mamp said:

I want the dog OMG I want a customizable poodle. OH and the female version of that cat looks cool and the T-rex just takes my cake.

JaxxRaxor

JaxxRaxor said:

@BigDaddysPizza I think you mean 10 resistances and 1 immunity? :-P

In terms of what I think, I think the steel resistance changes as well as the fairy type are good in terms of type balance. Steel losing resistance to Ghost and Dark, if the rumor is true, simply makes Steel pokemon a bit easier to deal with while still keeping them as the best overall defensive type. Fairy being Immune, not just resistant, to Dragon is a big deal because a lot of pokemon in the Smogon OU tier are dragon and Draco Meteor and Outrage are nearly broken in terms of power in the hands of a dragon pokemon. Having a type immune pokemon to check this will be very helpful. Fairy being resistant to Fighting, another dominate type, is also helpful.
I do hope that Gamefreak changed the mechanics of auto weather abilities (Drought, Drizzle, Sandstream and Snow Warning) because having permanent weather by simply switching in a pokemon negatively affected the meta game in my opinion.

SockoMario

SockoMario said:

I don't like the design's of the starter's evolutions (except for Frokaie's)
Chespin looks like a fat stuffed animal, and I thought it was Pignite when I first saw it.
Fenniken's is the worst. It looks too humanoid, and I can tell its next evolution is gonna be fire/fighting. Not to menttion its dull color scheme.
Frokie's look decent. I love Mega Garchomp's design, I like Mega Mewtwo X's design better than Mega Mewtwo Y's, and I don't like the dinosaur Pokemon. They look like Digimon. Oh, and don't call me a "Genwunner" all because I don't like some of these designs. I don't even like Generation 1. I think Generation 5 is the best generation. And I'm not saying some these Pokemon will "suck" all because I don't like some of their designs.

Pod

Pod said:

Froaky actually evolves into a pretty cool dude.

The others... not so much.

Crummy second-stage evolutions for starters is kind of a tradition, though.

RedBeanPorridge

RedBeanPorridge said:

Where's everybody being told that fennekin's evolution learns psycho cut? Unless this is a misprint, on the page with the starter's evolutions, on the bottom left it says "psychoshock" Which is psyshock's japanese name.

themac2001

themac2001 said:

Remember kids, you don't want to get fat or you'll look like Chespin's evolution.
@Hoerig Never thought i'd be choosing Froakie.

Brother_Jolteon

Brother_Jolteon said:

Mewtwo is strong as heck, so what way to make him more powerful? Give him 2 new mega forms..... hah! I love it! Especially Mewtwo X, he's gonna kick so much butt, it ain't even funny (well yeah, it is funny)

But I want them to fix the online battling! I want to battle with LV100s, not 50s!

Shadowkiller97

Shadowkiller97 said:

@Suicune Official English names from the www.pokemonxy.com
Chespin --> Quilladin
Fenniken --> Braixen
Froakie --> Frogadier

After seeing the in game shots of the Quilladin, Chespin is back on my radar as my starter.

natsu

natsu said:

Wow Braixens looks like he might be a fire and psychic type. Yes I called him a guy

Houndoom2000

Houndoom2000 said:

@SockoMario real pokemon fans don't judge pokemon by there appearances they just try and if they don't like it they release it for example chespin looks wierd but it can be really strong and fennikins one looks like a girl but then when it evolves it can look like a menacing (boy pokemon) and everyone had enough of fire/fighting types and its time for gamefreak to move on and I think it's going to be fire/psychic