Club Nintendo Rewards Updated With Some Retro Classics

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Oh, and 3D Classics: Urban Champion

It's that time once again, North America, when Club Nintendo changes its monthly offerings of download titles that you can acquire with your hard-earned gold coins. There are a couple of grade-A undisputed classics included, and at least one that quite clearly isn't, despite its name claiming otherwise. Still, if you have coins burning a hole in your virtual pocket and have a 3DS, Wii or Wii U handy, these may tempt you into giving some of that gold up; all of the following are available until 5th May.

Super Mario 64 — 200 coins
Super Metroid — 150 coins
Kirby's Pinball Land — 150 coins
3D Classics: Urban Champion — 150 coins

So, let us know which — if any of these — you plan to pick up in the comments and poll below.

Which Club Nintendo Reward will you pick up first? (268 votes)

Super Mario 64 (Wii Shop)

22%

Super Metroid (Wii Shop)

11%

Kirby's Pinball Land (3DS eShop)

12%

3D Classics: Urban Champion (3DS eShop)

Nothing for me this time

49%

Please login to vote in this poll.

[via club.nintendo.com]

Related Games

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Ha Ha Ha! I love how you said some classics...oh and 3D classics Urban Champion.

I passed on Star Ship Defense because I thought there might be something better this time, but I already have Super Metroid and Mario 64, and the other two don't interest me. Looks like I'll be waiting another month.

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox said:

I'm saving for the Hanafuda cards (800 coins). Long way to go. They'll probably be sold out by the time I have enough.

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

Sucks to not get this in the UK!! Saving my points for ages waiting to see how the virtual console Wii/Wii u thing settles down.....I ain't paying more to convert them to the game pad friendly versions of games I've already bought. Sound like its gonna happen though....=(

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

Nintendo of Europe really should spruce up our rewards, we don't get any of these but we really should get SOMETHING better than what we've got now. I don't mean VC games but damnit man we should get something better than Wall decals and notebooks, sticky pads and crap like THAT! ARRRRGRHHHH

photofool83

photofool83 said:

I was about to get Super Metroid but then I remembered that it's going to be one of the featured games for 30 cents on Wii U.

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

I already have all of these, and even if I didn't have Super Metroid it's coming to the Wii U eShop next month for 30 cents. :D

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I already own Super Metroid and Super Mario 64 so I won't be getting any games this month since I really don't want Urban Champion or Kirby Pinball

Yrreiht

Yrreiht said:

already have all of these except urban champion, which i don't plan on getting.

Huachiman

Huachiman said:

Already have Super Metroid. Super Mario for me (even though I have the cart somewhere). I figure I need to spend my coins on something before they expire. I've been waiting forever for Ocarina or ALTTP! Waiting in vain, I guess.

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

"Club Nintendo Rewards Updated With Some Retro Classics Oh, and 3D Classics: Urban Champion."
It's always urban champion isn't it.

Linkstrikesback

Linkstrikesback said:

Someone should stick a reminder in for any wii u owners: Super Metroid is going to be $0.30 for a month from halfway through may.

It's probably not worth wasting the coins if you can get the better wii u version soon for nearly nothing.

TheXboxHero

TheXboxHero said:

Leaning toward getting 3D clasics: Urban Champion, but still considering. I like the 3D effect of it.

Shworange

Shworange said:

It would be kind of silly to get super metroid for WiiU owners when we will get it for
30 cents in two months

paburrows

paburrows said:

I love these, but already have Mario and Metroid, I might go for the Kirby one, but probably not.

shyguy91

shyguy91 said:

Nintendo Europe sucks so much... late releases, garbage rewards for our hardly earned coins... meh..

SMW

SMW said:

I'll pass on Super Metroid and pay up my 30 cents to get it on the Wii U!

Mario 64 though I may consider. If I get it, I'd be able to upgrade it to the Wii U VC whenever they get that rolling. Although not being able to tie Wii purchases on the Wii U to Club Nintendo is whats preventing me from going for it. I'll just stick to my N64 copy considering its pretty much identical to this version.

Kirby sounds like the good choice for me. I'm not too big of a pinball fan, but its Kirby!

rjejr

rjejr said:

Thanks for posting the update. I'll pass though, still playing Paper Mario and I already have Mario.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Well let's see.....I have them all except for the one I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole!! Garbage is garbage free or not!

moomoo

moomoo said:

If I didn't already own Super Metroid and Super Mario 64, I would totally jump on those.

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

ironic for super metriod as for mario 64, i got the ds game and i have no idea how that works on the wii in the wiiu so i'll wait for the upgraded version if i want to get it by then

Metal_Slugger

Metal_Slugger said:

I think I will hold out till they offer WiiU exclusive virtual console downloads. I'm sick of bouncing games back and forth on the memory card and wii emulator on the Wiiu.

SSJ3Goku

SSJ3Goku said:

I would grab a game, but I already have Super Mario 64 DS and I only have 10 coins. Spent them on Kid Icarus last month.

russellohh

russellohh said:

I just ordered one Super Metroid, 1 Mario 64, and soon another Mario 64. Awww yeah fanboy time.

tweet75

tweet75 said:

i only wish nintendo would have offered games as rewards from day one of club nintendo. I already bought all of these.

Dodger

Dodger said:

Nobody can complain about the quality of the rewards this month. The 3DS ones are rather lame, but Mario 64 and Super Metroid more then make up for it.

I have Mario 64 already so I'll pick up Super Metroid. That game has always been on my to buy list but always too low to actually get it.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

So somebody tell me what is the point of getting Super Metroid for coins when it comes out next month for 30 cents.

Jukilum

Jukilum said:

@LavaTwilight You realize that that is pretty much what we get in NA right? And these deals are terrible. You only get 160 coins for registering a Wii U.

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

Lots of people already said it, but I want to join!
Bring such idea in Europe Nintendo!!! >O<

It's not that huge deal, but it's a nice extra prize to choose ^O^
Sure, technically in Europe we have the cards with the points as prizes, too bad they are still the old ones working only for the DSi and Wii and the card of 1000 points (or 10 € if you prefer) cost 4000 stars which are around 800 coins at the change @O@;

Ark

Ark said:

@Tasuki
Perhaps it's for the several millions of Wii owners that do not own a Wii U. Super Metroid will only be 30 cents on the Wii U's Virtual Console and this will be part of a limited promotion.

Purchasing through Club Nintendo also removes the need to use a credit card or pre-paid card (although I suspect most would be able to scrape together 30 cents if they even occasionally purchase downloadable games).

Icarus423

Icarus423 said:

Super Mario 64!! Awesome. Tricky Club N, almost went for Super Metroid too but I can wait and spend 30 cents for it on my Wii U (even though I don't want to wait)

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

@ #47 Tasuki
I´m 1000% agree with you. I had preffer another Wii VC game instead Super Metroid.

Firejonie

Firejonie said:

I have all of these, besides Super Metroid. But since I have a Wii U, I'll be getting Super Metroid for 30 cents next month. So nothing for me this month.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

I already have Mario 64, and I'm gonna wait for Super Metroid to go on sale for 30 cents, so nothing for me this month.

SirQuincealot

SirQuincealot said:

spent all my coins yesterday, to get kid icarus, it was risky not knowing if anything better was coming, but i seemed to make the right choice (as i dont play my wii)

SirQuincealot

SirQuincealot said:

@mariobro4 i think theyve had most of the so called claasics i got excitbike from the rewards (not great) twinbee im almost positvie and kid icarus, i dont think theyve had kirby yet

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

I might get Pinball Land...other than that nothing to interesting and I can wait about a month for Metroid to be 30 cents.

KAHN

KAHN said:

Kirby's pinball: don't like kirby
mario 64: HATE HATE HATE this game
urban champion: bought this one (unfortunately)
super metroid: ordered this on SNES, CIB :D

Emaan

Emaan said:

I think I'll go for Super Mario 64. I already have Super Metroid incoming next month via the famicom 30th anniversary promotion on Wii U, for 30 cents no less!

RR529

RR529 said:

Super Metroid for me (I don't have a Wii U). It'll give me a good reason to dust off my Wii (the last game I played on it was Super Mario RPG).

It'll be good to finally play the only main series Metroid I haven't played (although I sort of wish I could get it on 3DS, so I could have all 4 on one system, lol).

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

I have them all. I wish they'd put something I could waste points on like Yoshi Story or something more ambitious like F-Zero X.

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

Why super metroid?! We get that in a month on wii u for $.30... If i get it here, i have to pay $1 to upgrade it for wiiu.

I-U

I-U said:

As a Wii U owner, I can't wait for Super Metroid for $.30 next month, so I'm definitely passing on these rewards.

evanescent_hero

evanescent_hero said:

I already own Kirby Pinball and don't much care for 3D Mario games. I'd be all over Super Metroid if I weren't getting it really cheap next month, and I don't know a thing about Urban Champion, so...we'll see. But probably nothing this month. Mostly I'm just waiting to learn this year's platinum and gold rewards.

Kaine_Morrison

Kaine_Morrison said:

Also saving for the Hanafuda cards.
I'm only about halfway there.
Once August hits, I'll have a lot more because that's when I plan on getting the WiiU and Wind Waker HD.

Epicnessofme99

Epicnessofme99 said:

I feel kinda bad picking up the Yoshi Cleaning Cloth now, I really wanted to get Mario 64, also I still haven't received the cloth.

ouroborous

ouroborous said:

why for the love of god can we not get Super Metroid on 3DS eshop????
you do realize that THIS is EXACTLY why people use emulators and flashcarts, right?

idork99

idork99 said:

Picked up Kirby's Pinball Land earlier today and managed to play one of the tables/levels so far. Not a bad little Pinball game for a quick play session.

Toothedbuffalo

Toothedbuffalo said:

Australia has a crap stuff on club nintendo as well i have 6000 points and there is nothing worth getting they should change it over to be the same as usa club nintendo as well

GloryQuestor

GloryQuestor said:

After a long string of them putting up 3DS titles I already bought with cash prior ( >_<; ), I decided to waste some coins and get 3D Classics: Urban Champion, if only because it's free and at least it's a decent time-waster.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

Bought 3D Classics Urban Champion when it was offered for the second time via Club Ninty. Only did it to complete my 3D classic collection.
And without a Wii U, I have another month to decide if I want Super Metroid.

Stratostar

Stratostar said:

@Knuckles I'm about to do the same thing. I've been waiting for Urban Champion to be offered again, but only because I enjoy collecting the games in the 3D Classics series. I like the way each game's colorful icon looks on my 3DS' Home Menu. :)

fregrold

fregrold said:

I just bought the hanafuda cards (OMG they are tiny), and I don't have enough surveys to get enough points. I might have to buy a game to get Super Mario 64.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I already have Super Metroid (awesome game) so I will take Mario 64. I would like to see how well it holds up today, after playing Sunshine and considering that did not stand the test of time.

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

I was thinking of Pinball...until I saw the trailer. I love pinball but the layout in that game is pretty bland. If you guys need a pinball game, PInball Pulse: The Ancients Beckon is a much better alternative.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

Well, I already have Super Mario 64, and I'm getting Super Metroid next month with the Famicom promotion. And I don't have much interest in the other two. Then there was the time that Nintendo gave me a faulty code...

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

I had more fun with urban champions than SM64 :P

And I cant get none, because this only applies to the US...

HeatBombastic

HeatBombastic said:

@bezerker99 Overpaid? What the heck does that even mean? Nintendo loses money on the game give-aways unless people buy more games solely to buy club nintendo awards.

HeatBombastic

HeatBombastic said:

Urban Champions is underrated. Symmetrical fighting games are always the best. I hope the symmetrical dude goes in Smash, because Smash is based on Urban Champions after all.

ecco6t9

ecco6t9 said:

They always give these away.... And next month will be DSiWare that I have zero room for.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

pass on these items i want more like the ds game card case or special items even though i seem to miss out on those :(

datamonkey

datamonkey said:

What's the fuss about? Everyone should know by now that being a Nintendo gamer in Europe sucks s***.

I'm fed up of it. It's not like we're a small market. There's about 700 million of us!

Why do we get shoe laces and post-it notes on our Club Nintendo while Japan gets amazing collectors items and the US gets these retro game downloads?

TheInvisibleTor

TheInvisibleTor said:

I no own wii u so I picked up super metroid. the only super minor flaw i had was the intro voice, which was really bad, but otherwise the games really fun.

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

Seems weird to be releasing Super Metroid now, given it will be out on the WiiU VC for cheap soon. Fine with me though - since I don't have the coins to buy it now anyways (gold nunchuck woo!).

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

I wish they'd release more 3D classics because I REALLY WANT 3D classics Starfox! I've never gotten to play the first one before!

@Token_Girl I got the gold nunchuck too!

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

I've put about 2 1/2 hours into 3D Classics: Urban Champions. I actually kind of like it in small doses.

Windy

Windy said:

I have 1200 coins But I have all the games each month that they put up :( I may have to stop holding out and just get some Nintendo Swag

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

@Windy: Did you get the Ball Game & Watch game yet? If you have nothing else to buy, I'd grab that for nostalgia's sake. I hope you grabbed both Game & Watch DS collections for 800 coins each. They were the best items to use your hand earned coins on in my opinion:) Too bad the 1st one is no longer available, but you could get lucky and find both used at a Gamestop near you.

Cygnus

Cygnus said:

I'm so disappointed there's no Mario 64 3DS version. I want to play that on the go :(

SonataAndante

SonataAndante said:

Why do they keep putting Urban Champion up? This is like the 3rd time it's been offered and I kinda doubt it's downloaded that often. Does anyone actually want Urban Champion? I mean it doesn't look like a BAD game, it just looks like there's so little to it that you've seen and played it all after 5 minutes. Have they ever put any of the 3DS VC's NES titles up as rewards yet? I don't recall, but that would be nice. I'd drop some coins on SMB or Zelda 2 on my 3DS. Then again I really should just buy Zelda 2 already.

Musharna

Musharna said:

@SonataAndante I bought it and enjoy the game, but I didn't get it via club nintendo. I beat the game at least twice and wouldn't mind beatin it again just because the 3D on the game is that good.

Why would you want super mario 64 on your Wii or Wii U when you can get the portable DS version.

Omarsonic9

Omarsonic9 said:

I got Super Mario 64!

It says I need Wii Classic Controller thing...

F***, now I need to go to the store again.

citizen_zane

citizen_zane said:

I love Urban Champion. This was the original Street Fighter! I used to play this with my younger brother, back in the 80's. It actually has more depth than you might realize. Here are a list of moves:
high strong punch
low strong punch
high weak punch
low weak punch
high block
low block
dodge
That's seven moves! That's more moves than most games from that era had. Then you've got other factors that affect gameplay like flower pots being dropped on your head, cops patrolling the streets, a stamina meter and a timer. A lot of people rip on this game without ever having played it. Many of those who have played it, never played it with another person. It makes a big difference. The single player mode is nothing to sneeze at either. When the game was reviewed here, it was said that "The computer-controlled opponents you face are idiots and are very good at walking directly into your fists if you time your punches just right." That's a load of crap if you play this game for any significant amount of time (more than 10 minutes perhaps?). The difficulty ramps up later on, providing a serious challenge to anyone.
I'm just glad that someone at Nintendo must still appreciate this game. I feel lucky to have this available on the 3DS. The only thing missing now is online play.

Chariblaze

Chariblaze said:

I won't have a Wii U for a while, so Super Metroid it is. I believe the upgrade cost will always be $0.30 for these Famicom Anniversary games, so that'll be fine with me.