Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Limited Edition Details

Posted by James Newton

The music, the controller, the lot

Can't wait for Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword but want to know more about the limited edition gold Wii Remote Plus? Today is your lucky day.

Nintendo has announced that the game and gold controller will be available in North America from 20th November, retailing at $69.99. The game will be available on its own for $49.99, but whichever package you go for you'll find hidden in the packaging a limited edition soundtrack CD of music to be performed at the Zelda Symphony in October.

Bad news for anyone hoping to pick up the Zelda Wii Remote Plus on its own: it will not be available separately. Worse news: according to the press release, "the gold controller will simply be gold in color and will not contain any actual precious metals."

Damn.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Bundle Highlights a Golden Autumn for Nintendo Games

Dates and Details Revealed on Zelda Bundle with Gold Controller, New Tetris and Professor Layton Titles
REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Leaves won’t be the only things turning gold this fall as Nintendo prepares to launch an extraordinary lineup of games for its Wii™, Nintendo 3DS™ and Nintendo DS™ game systems. At a recent meeting of GameStop retail store managers from across the United States, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing Scott Moffitt revealed new details about upcoming releases for several fan-favorite franchises:

A special limited-edition The Legend of Zelda™: Skyward Sword bundle containing the game and a gold* Wii Remote™ Plus controller will be available when the game launches on Nov. 20.

Also for The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, every copy in the initial production of the game will come packaged with a special music CD featuring orchestral arrangements of select songs that will be performed at The Legend of Zelda 25th Anniversary Symphony Concert.

Nintendo will launch the upcoming Tetris®: Axis game for Nintendo 3DS systems on Oct. 2.

The Professor Layton and the Last Specter™ game for the Nintendo DS family of systems will launch Oct. 17.

“Nintendo has something for you this fall, no matter what type of gamer you are, no matter what Nintendo system you’re playing,” said Moffitt. “Whether you’re looking for a world-spanning epic like The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, the pick-up-and-play puzzle fun of Tetris: Axis or the mind-bending adventure of Professor Layton and the Last Specter, we’ve got you covered.”

The limited-edition gold controller bundle for The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword will be offered at a suggested retail price of $69.99. The game will also be sold separately at a suggested retail price of $49.99, though the gold controller will only be available as part of the special bundle. As an additional 25th anniversary treat for fans who purchase the game early, every copy in the initial production, whether sold by itself or as a part of the limited-edition bundle, will come with a free CD featuring select orchestral arrangements of iconic music spanning the history of the franchise which will be performed at The Legend of Zelda 25th Anniversary Symphony Concert performances in October 2011. For more information about The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, visit http://www.zelda.com/skywardsword.

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

THIS IS EPIC! Not to mention we got a release date for the new Professor Layton game :) We might have already known about that last one but it was news to me!

Link79

Link79 said:

Wow that's the official cover of the game box?
Awesome!
Less than two months to go before gaming bliss arrives!
Cannot freakin wait!

zezhyrule

zezhyrule said:

Bigdog

Bigdog said:

That's a sweet looking box too. Thank you Nintendo. That will do. What will do.

Lan

Lan said:

Wowwee. This just might be my first pre-ordered game.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

In the wake of all this doomsday talk, Nintendo going under, etc... I'm betting they clean up this holiday season, AGAIN. Low-priced Wii will sell to millions more families, DS will keep selling 'cause it's immortal, low-priced 3DS will sell gangbusters with both Mario titles. And analysts will backstep awkwardly, as they have the past two years.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Oh, and... Tetris: Axis?? Could be like a second-coming of Tetrisphere (N64)? I'm intrigued.

AbuJaffer

AbuJaffer said:

Uh... I already have 4 controllers... if there was a motion-plus addition, I would get that... only need one more and all my controllers have motion-plus capabilities.

Robo-goose

Robo-goose said:

I don't know, the fact that there's no real gold may make this a no-buy for me.
The game looks good and all, but, no real gold? Come on, Nintendo.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Ace, but I already have 5 remotes which include 2 wiimotionpluses. I also have 2 wiimotionplus adaptors.

Bigdog

Bigdog said:

@AbuJaffer Me too, I've got four wiimotes too (with two M+), but I'll get rid of one. No way I'm missing out on this, specially since WiiU will be backwards compatible. I don't like having the attachment at the end, and having to remove the remote from the sleeve every time I want to use the M+.

Can't stop looking at this cover, damn it looks good. Wonder what the regular box art will look like.

Wildvine53

Wildvine53 said:

Finally it feels like I've been waiting for this announcement forever! Now I know when I can pick up my copy of Professor Layton and the Last Specter!
Oh, and the Zelda thing is cool too.

MayhemStaff

Mayhem said:

Actually, I'm as excited about knowing when the fourth Layton game is coming out, as knowing the Zelda news heh. Nice that there will be a CD included from the concert though, regardless of package. Will still probably go for the one with the remote in though.

LordAndrew

LordAndrew said:

I think I'll wait for the Allies version of Tetris.

I do want that gold* controller though.

Punny

Punny said:

I don't think that I can wait for this game around Christmas. I think I need this amazing bundle as soon as it launches! I will definately be getting the game with the controller (and the CD, of course). :)

Rensch

Rensch said:

I guess I'll have to get the bundle, as I do not own a Wii motionPlus yet.

Ultronator

Ultronator said:

@James, I'd be willing to bet that the number of people who want the controller but not the game would be next to none. After all, what other game are they gonna use it to play? Now if you're going to complain about anything it should be that there isn't a bundle with a diamond encrusted sword attachment for the controller.

Yosher

Yosher said:

I will forever keep that controller protected in its cond- I mean jacket.

Ecto-1

Ecto-1 said:

Seriously, the controller isn't real gold!!! WHY NOT!!! I want a gold controller, not some cheap imitation. Just kidding, this looks awesome. Great box art and a sweet controller (even if it isn't real gold, sniff).

KonsumKasse

KonsumKasse said:

Will Europe get the unreviled japanese cover?
My thoughts runs in those ways because its been a common practice since Phantom Hourglass.

iphys

iphys said:

Places in Canada have been pricing this game at $60, so I wonder what exactly I have pre-ordered, or if they will adjust the price on my pre-order.

Traxx

Traxx said:

Finally a reasonable opportunity to get a RemotePlus. It only took... 2 years (?).

This cover won't make it to Europe thanks to stupid, big USK button. Maybe it will only be slightly altered, but it won't look exactly like that at least.

Ryno

Ryno said:

I am going to preorder 10,000 of these then resell them on EBAY!!! :p

Shining-Void

Shining-Void said:

I WILL GET THIIIIIIS !!! Now all i need is a gold CCpro :) I can't wait anymore stop teasing me nintendo T-T time to break out my hidden stash

TheGreenSpiny

TheGreenSpiny said:

I don't car for that gold Wii remote, though it's only $20, and I don't own a wii remote plus yet... Decisions, decisions.

Shockwave

Shockwave said:

What's with half the buttons like the A and Dpad being gold, and the other ones being white?

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

I am sure that these Wiimotes will be popping up in used stores by themselves after awhile. Thats how I got my gold CCpro which the Zelda Wiimote will go with it nicely.

Going to pre order this one today from Amazon.

Link-Hero

Link-Hero said:

Wow, it looks amazing!

My only question is what store can we get this? Hopefully it's not only available at Gamestop, because if it is, then I will be pissed. :(

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Wow. $20 Wiimote with motion plus and soundtrack CD. That's a steal. I was already thinking of getting a controller and the game was a definite buy, so the value makes this is an easy pre-order. Good to be a Zelda fan today... will be better in November... though this might be a gift for my daughter. Hmm...

JakobG

JakobG said:

Alright America, if this won't come out in Europe, then stop whining about Rainfall.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Oh, I can't wait! But, so many projects, essays and work shifts to survive until November. :( Then not much time to play because of those same things.

I'm so glad Nintendo has kept alive the tradition of gold Zelda products, that started with the original. I remember seeing The Legend of Zelda cart for the first time over 23 years ago and thinking "oooohhh, it's so pretty and shiny"! ;)

On a side note, since there's Limited Edition version and just the game by itself, if you have it reserved somewhere like GameStop, you may want to call and make sure you have the version you want reserved. Like when I reserved the 3DS (before official colors were announced), the default color the system reserved for you was the Cosmo Black.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

@FluttershyGuy: Who in their right mind will reserve the game at Game Stop? Knowing how GS works they will probably rip open the box and toss out the Wiimote and the music CD.

Hmmm just checked Amazon and all they have is the $49.99 Game and CD bundle for pre order. :(

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

@Tasuki: Funny, that's not what they did with any other special edition bundle aside from that instance earlier. Oh look, only Gamestop has it listed. Too bad >:3

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

Ahhh, that'll go nicely with my gold Classic Controller Pro. And my gold N64 controller. And my gold Zelda cartridge. And my gold Ocarina of Time cartridge. And my gold Majora's Mask cartridge. And my, okay, you get the idea.

...and no, I don't have a gold Zelda II cartridge. But I will get a gold disc for Skyward Sword! :)

...seriously, Nintendo, we need a Gold Nunchaku.

SuperLink

SuperLink said:

All I care about is the game and the CD.

I've been waiting a long time for a Zelda CD to listen to (and what better Zelda CD to listen to than one performed by the Zelda Symphony?), and this might be the perfect oppritunity to get it. Also, the cover art is fantastic. Well done, Nintendo. :)

P.S. Screw that "gold" remote. What a waste. I might get it if I needed another Wii remote, but I already have four, so...PASS!

@MasterGraveheart Have you ever heard the story of King Midas? I think that you'd like it. ;)

fishman100

fishman100 said:

ZOMG I'm preordering this! :D

EDIT: tl;dr: Professor Layton and the Last Specter arrives October 17th

littlebigplanet

littlebigplanet said:

The wait to play this game is dreadful. Then again, there are a bunch of AAA 3DS titles to tide me over.
Starfox comes in a week.
Pokemon Rumble blast comes out october
Super Mario 3D Land comes out november.
Plus with Rolling Western, Metroid 2, the 20 free games (hoping for Pokemon, any one, prefferably Emerald), and Im currently playing Donkey Kong and Gargoyle's Quest, both of which are a blast.
The wait shouldnt be too long

Azikira

Azikira said:

No matter how you look at it, the Collector's Edition is a great deal. Goes to pre-order

Azikira

Azikira said:

@powderedtoast: I was suprised how high quality these Virtual Console games were! And by the power of Google, I learned that one of my favorite SNES games, Demon's Crest is actually the 2nd sequel to Gargoyle's Quest. I had no idea. XD

littlebigplanet

littlebigplanet said:

@Azikira I know! Gargoyles Quest is a little gem that pushed the limits of the Gameboy. Its good to know that 3rd parties support VC, if they didnt, I would've never played this. The length of the game is worth $3. You get so much bang for your buck there.
Good story, pretty long game (for GB), Platforming and RPG, and great replay value.
I cant wait for Megaman and Bionic Commando (looks good)

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

That looks so epic I can hardly even fathom it! I'm definitely picking up the limited edition bundle. That Wii Remote is looking sweet. I can't even wait to play this sure to be amazing game!

Azikira

Azikira said:

@powderedtoast: I've definately gotten more then enough time in it to think it is a worthy purchase. Plus it gets me pumped for Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3 (Seeing how Firebrand is going to be playable).

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

nice i will plug my gold classic controler pro into that golden wiimote :P

assuming this is a U.S pricing for the standard game alone for $49.99 i paid 59.99 in canada which goes up to 64$ or 67 in total i forgot lol, im guessing im probably going to pony up more money to get that special edition :P

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

I asked my Mom to get me this for my birthday. Even If I don't get it I'm buying this immediately after. It looks so I awesome!

littlebigplanet

littlebigplanet said:

@azikira I know, I have only played about 3 hours so far, but by the time I'm done, I'll be itching to play it again.
I dont care what some people say. I am LOVING the VC so far. Avenging spirit is a great game, and Gargoyle's Quest is... mindblowing!
Right now, there are 5 VC games I have, and they are all great.
-Link's Awakening DX
-Avenging Spirit
-Gargoyle's Quest
-Donkey Kong
-Mario's Picross
These are just appetizers, really. Soon we are getting the best of the best. Metroid 2, Mario Land 2, Pokemon R/B/Y (its obvious we'll see them soon, thats instant millions for nintendo), etc.
I still cant believe a lot of people complain about pricing, too. It's not expensive at all, compared to buying an original cart at a retro game store. Link's Awakening DX costs $20, plus another $5 to get the internal battery changed.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

The boxart looks really good! That CD would be great to have too, but I'm not so sure if I could shore up the extra bucks.

Ren

Ren said:

Perfect! Glad I waited on Mo+ for this. then I can get the other stuff "game only" for cheap. True it's weird with the white buttons. I hope it's the super shiny, high-gloss gold like the original gold Zelda cartridge. I'm not so into the matte gold in the picture, but it's hard to tell what it'll be in person.

Oscarsome

Oscarsome said:

I wish it would come with a nunchuck controller. :/ I mean, you will be using that, too, so why not provide it for the price?

But I will be preordering this! Soon enough....

Box art is shiny, :D

timp29

timp29 said:

MasterGraveHeart is right! Nintendo needs to make a gold nunchuck for this bad boy!

Especially as Goldeneye owners have a gold classic controller pro ;)

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

That is hands down thee' GREATEST Zelda Box Art in existence! :o
Can't wait to get my Gold Zelda Wii Motion Plus as well! :D

2-D

2-D said:

Had this preordered on Amazon since it was announced at E3 2010. Probably means I'll have to repreorder to get the controller bundle and therefore lose the price I locked in then.
Bargain.

Monkeh

Monkeh said:

Please make a newspost when this becomes available for Europeans! Must have this! :D

pikku

pikku said:

Think I'll pass, just don't have $70 this Christmas. :P

Gotta save for MK and SM3DL :O

pntjr

pntjr said:

That boxart is sexy.. So sexy that i'll buy the game bundle just to look at the cover art all day... I'm counting down the days...

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

So a game, a music CD and a special wiimote for 70 bucks? That is a steal, if you ask me. I am sorry, Mr. Drake, I believe you and Sully will have to wait until next year then.

BTW, that box art is just so awesome!

Pj1

Pj1 said:

I'm hoping NoE will announce this soon! I'll buy it as it will be a limited edtion.

Crystalking18

Crystalking18 said:

...... Nintendo, I am giving you a blank check. Fill in how much you want for this, and you'll have it. Happy Thanksgiving to me.

timp29

timp29 said:

Haha imagine a solid gold wii remote. Probably be barely able to swing it for more than 5 minutes. I'm sure Miyamoto has two.

hatty475

hatty475 said:

A normal WiiMote weighs about 0.3 lbs which is approximately 5 ounces. One troy ounce of gold can cost about $1K or more depending on the amount of karats. Gold is also denser than plastic and therefore has more mass per unit volume than plastic. If Nintendo were to sell WiiMotes made of pure gold for an extra $20, they'd probably be selling at a loss.

Jahir

Jahir said:

Man... In Mexico we'll have it for 120 dollars :( It's a lot of money but I don't have any choice but buy it u_u

Terave

Terave said:

I alreay one a Wii motion plus... and I want the 3DS AAA Titles as well... hard descisions...

Gamesake

Gamesake said:

This golden Wii Remote Plus will separate the men from the boys... because men have better things to do I guess.

R-L-A-George

R-L-A-George said:

I'd get that if I had the money, I need a job seriously, unless my mom let me use my needs money for art supplies(which is a need) and I start doing commissions.

Jamouse

Jamouse said:

hey, wait didn't Miyamoto mention something about being able to hold up your sword for the first time in a zelda game?
Like i said before, nice boxart link

phoenix1818

phoenix1818 said:

This actually looks really good! Not that I need another wii remote, but I hope this comes to Australia.

I've been eying the Limited Edition on the EB Games website for some time now, but it doesn't say anything about that particular version, it's just priced at $20 higher.

kingofe3

kingofe3 said:

I would get this, but I already have 2 wii remote plus. I'm still getting the game.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Can Nintendo please put this bundle on Amazon? I'd much rather pre-order there than at Gamestop.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Did the original LoZ and LoZII:AoL???

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

I keep checking Amazon to preorder the Wiimote bundle but it just keeps giving me the standard one. Is the wiimote bundle only at certain stores?

fpssoviet

fpssoviet said:

im so getting wii mote its 20$ for wiimote+ and its gold with that white zelda simbole

winter123

winter123 said:

20 dollars for that awesome controller. So in for 1. I have a motionplus dongle, but its so ugly... and now I'll have 2!

Sam_Loser2

Sam_Loser2 said:

An extra $20 for a special controler? You mean like the controler that cost me $40? Sounds good to me! Also comes with a motion +, which I will I do not actually have.