Tecmo Koei Hopeful That Hyrule Warriors Will Tap Into Zelda Fanbase and Hit One Million Sales

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

This new screen looks rather tasty

While it's been absent from Nintendo's Direct broadcasts since its shock reveal in late 2013, Hyrule Warriors is a potentially intriguing title on the way to Wii U. The Tecmo Koei-developed title, spinning off from the well known Dynasty Warriors franchise, is due this Summer in Japan and will hopefully not be far behind in other major territories.

It certainly has the potential to perform well for Nintendo's system in Japan, though there is a smaller but dedicated Dynasty Warriors fanbase in the West, along with legions of Zelda fans. Tecmo Koei's Yoichi Erikawa has spoken to Nikkei Trendy about his hopes for the collaboration (translated by Nintendo Everything), stating that he anticipates the combination of brands will deliver solid sales worldwide.

In gaming, this is a first-time collaboration. As a new entry in the Warriors series, we plan to release the game Hyrule Warriors in collaboration with Nintendo in the summer of this year. In addition to our Warriors series fan base, Nintendo’s The Legend of Zelda is also a very popular series with a large fan base, and I think it will become a great new market. Because of The Legend of Zelda’s legion of fans overseas, we are aiming to sell more than one million copies worldwide.

Getting past one million copies isn't hugely ambitious when considered without much context, though considering the franchises' modest sales in the West and the limited Wii U fanbase, it seems like a sensible target.

A fresh screen — top of the article — certainly promises a fairly attractive game, which will hopefully run smoothly with an army of enemies on screen. We'll get a look soon enough.

[via trendy.nikkeibp.co.jp, nintendoeverything.com]

PrincessEevee9

PrincessEevee9 said:

I for one am so pumped to buy this game. And hopefully Tecmo Koeicontinues to collaborate with Nintendo!

Legodavid18

Legodavid18 said:

Isn't it Tecmo Koei? Anyway, I'll definitly be one of those one million. I love Zelda and I love the Warriors series, so that kind of speaks for itself.

Volmun

Volmun said:

Im realy looking forward to it lol

My only concern is that. Is it multyplayer? As i like playing the DW games with my frend

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

Definitely a believeable goal. The Zelda fanbase is a large and powerful one that'll support any game involved with the series. And I can guarantee you I'll be buying this!

HappyHappyist

HappyHappyist said:

I know nothing about it, you know nothing about it, none of us know anything about this game! That's my favorite thing to say because of the amount of hype this game is getting. I'm not ignoring it, but I'll see if i'm interested when I get an update about what actually happens in the game.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

Well, as with everything: If people keep up the hate for it, it wont do anything.
If MK8 recieves such negative press, having a zelda spin off that crossed with Dynasty Warriors, one of the worst recieved series out there, it doesnt look that good.
As a diehard fan of anything Koei and Warriors related, i know where this could end. Prepare for taglines like "repetative, button mashing, bland, unimaginative, stale" etc.
I hope that it does well, and i definitly deign koei the success with it. Lets all cross our fingers and hope that the usual hate press shuts the heck up about it.

DespyCL

DespyCL said:

Finally a believeable goal, not like the ones that nintendo proposed for the wii u.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

The Gundam spin-offs tend to sell well without being great games, so I'm sure this will sell decently.

Legodavid18

Legodavid18 said:

@Einherjar I've pretty much learned to ignore reviews about Warriors games that have those words in them, because the reviewers are pretty much never fans of the series (who would know what people who are interested in the series would want to see in a new game). A review by, say Jim Sterling, is a whole lot more reliable if you ask me.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

I'll wait for reviews. If it's just a Samurai Warriors skin, I'll skip it.

I'm hoping they make something interesting with it.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

With the total lack of games released this year I'm sure it will. Not enough to choose from. How many games have came out this year for the U? Less or more then 5?

SKYW4LK3R

SKYW4LK3R said:

I want it! As long as it has a decent story mode and local or online multiplayer!

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

I'm hoping they work in a great story for this game. Setting it as a prequel to skyward sword where there was a huge battle between the humans and The Demon Army would be ideal. It's a time period a normal Zelda game wouldn't tell very well. I'm getting it anyway as Zelda is my favorite game franchise. A fresh take is good.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

@HappyHappyist Actually we know ALLOT about it! If you've ever played a game in the Warriors series, well, you've played them all. Funnily enough, their consistency is actually something i love, and I can't wait for what is quite obviously going to be classic DW gameplay with a Zelda themed story and character roster.

SleepyCrossing

SleepyCrossing said:

I've never played DW, but I really like the concept. This seems like a somewhat reasonable goal for Hyrule Warrors.. provided the Wii U stops getting so much (unfounded) negative press..

River3636

River3636 said:

I'm getting this when it comes out immediately. They have 999,999 to go who's in.

DualWielding

DualWielding said:

It'll make the million, Wii U may not have sold a lot but the ones who have bought it are hardcore NIntendo fanboys who would buy anything featuring LInk

allav866

allav866 said:

New screen? What new screen? They showed the exact same thing on the E3 trailer, so what's different?

Datasun_7

Datasun_7 said:

Yeah I'll get it :) never played dynasty warriors so hopefully as my first installment I'll enjoy it :) I really want a load of playable Zelda characters though, like phantom Zelda, girahim, gannondorf, tingle ;), etc

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I wonder if a Zelda flappy bird clone would sell at £8. (Like the Pokemon match 3 does).

Emblem

Emblem said:

@Legodavid18 @Einherjar Totally agree, i'm an avid fan of Warriors and Armoured Core games, both are Japanese action games with niche game play and they are almost never reviewed favorably in the West dispite being critically acclaimed in Japan.

I also agree that if MK8 is getting so much flak i expect lots of critics and Zelda "fans" to hate this just for being what it is. I expect mixed reviews and lots of hate but i'm 99% sure ot'll be unfounded and i'll love it anyway.

@Peach64 Gundam has one of the largest fan bases though and Gundam Musou is multi-plat.

yokokazuo

yokokazuo said:

So far, the only Warriors game that I've played is Samurai Warriors 3, but I enjoyed it a lot so I will definitely buy this(plus it's Zelda!).

JCnator

JCnator said:

Personally, this game looks very interesting. I could easily imagine some classic Zelda gameplay, but in a much faster pace and more intense that the Warriors franchises are known for. The thing is, I'm wondering how the entire game will play. That's because the first trailer made the game seems like to be a clone of Dynasty Warriors with Zelda slapped in, since it's just demonstrating the concept in first place. I guess I'll be waiting for later trailers and reviews to come before I decide to take part among the million gamers who would purchase the game.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Is it a bad sign that the game looks better in stills than in motion? Maybe I'm just warming up to it. The concept sounds awesome: Hyrule Wars, but then it just looks silly to me. I don't know. I'm waiting for reviews on this one because it's going to have to be a high quality game for me to overcome the feeling of paper thin enemies flying in all directions and no feeling of impact or weight. I've never played these types of games, however, so maybe there's something to it I'd enjoy.

faint

faint said:

@ferthepoet actually I have a u and didn't buy skyward sword. I will buy this because I like the series. Link is just a bonus.

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

Love both series, totally interested in the game and the goal itself is reasonable and could easily be beaten even (or so I wish them ^^).

Only matter, as many pointed out, are the critics... The Warriors' serie playstyle is definitly one of the less appreciated by the press despite the many fans loving it >.>;

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

I'm still on the fence. None of the Samurai Warriors games ever struck me as fun games, so this one has my doubts.
Still, the major thing I'm hoping for is lots of playable characters. And if Nintendo doesn't allow TK to bring in at least Ganon or Zelda as playable, I'm out.

But that's the thing I'm thinking about. Will it tie in with the Zelda canon? If yes, will it even feature any familiar characters like Elda or Ganondorf?
If not, will we get enemies like Horror Kid, Girahim, Vaati, Onox, Veran, or any previous antagonist? And what about allies? Is there a chance for Princess Midna to show up? Or maybe even Shiek? Or SS Impa?

So many questions - and answers are difficult to find because Nintendo never featured Zelda characters outside their respective timelines, not even as cameos.

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

Considering the trouble I had, going into Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper, it doesn't seem likely for me to buy it at the moment.

Shambo

Shambo said:

The announcement of the game caught me completely off guard, but I'm really looking forward to it!

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

It'll probably sell 1 million worldwide. I probably won't get it though. Don't really like the Dynasty Warriors games, and if this game is just one of those but with a coat of Zelda paint on it, count me out. I'll just wait for the next real Zelda game to come out.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

I'm a.big Warriors fan,.but can never get into.Zelda games. I'll buy this, and it'll he the first Zelda game I will complete.
Personally, I hope it's a bit more like DW 5, where each character has their own story, but with only 5 to 10 playable characters with decent length stories.

Diddy_kong

Diddy_kong said:

I'm not really a Zelda fan, but I am still keeping an open mind about this one. I like that Nintendo is trying something new with one of their biggest IPs. Looking forward to some new info on the game at E3.

Tops

Tops said:

I agree with @Kaze_Memaryu in needing to know more about the character roster. I'm still excited to see what they will put into this, but I think the characters on offer will be a huge drawing factor for me.

I've never played a DW game so I'll need to read through some reviews and watch some gameplay vids first.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

@BakaKnight it's funny when they say how this series is bland and repetitive, and then go on to say how the new CoD game is the best game ever made.

Personally, I believe this won't just be a "Zelda skin". Gundam wasn't just a skin, and even Samurai Warriors had its tweaks (which is why the Orichi games never really worked that well). The Warriors (or Musuo for the Japanese) games are all about the story, and there is so much rich story from the Zelda games for them to use.

Ryo_Hazuki-san

Ryo_Hazuki-san said:

going to be great refreshing game for zelda fans. hopefully it bridges the gap in the story and shows the Hyrule war from the zelda story.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

@Kaze_Memaryu Zelda canon is a bit like Mario canon - so many games are not.sequels or prequels in a story sense, they are more like remakes. My guess is it will borrow elements from various games as well as adding its own, so it.can tie in extra characters and allow people to play the story from more than just Link's point of view. It would have to allow for a lot of "what if's?", as people beat the game with each different character.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@Legodavid18 @Emblem
Jim Sterling would be the perfect man to review such a game.
But i have to agree with you, i couldnt care less about reviews like that. But i cant stem the 1mil sales on my own, as much as i loved to (well, ive done my best with owning every DW game on ANY console with EVERY bit of DLC, also on EVERY system. You could say that im either obsessed with the series or are a serious contributer and supporter to Koei)

@Emblem
Well, i hope that you are not surprised that these "flaws" are mandatory for fans of the series to like the games.
Anyone accusing the series for "button mashing" never played them on anything but easy difficulty. And by the way, harder difficultys are mandatory to unlock stuff in the game and arent just there for bragging rights. Button mashing on, say, DW8s Ultimate difficulty will get you killed in seconds.

The other points, well, they are basicly dependant on your personal taste. If youd ask me, i would say the same about any AAA title at the moment, be it UbiSofts "climbing on buildings" simulator (Assassins Creed for the folks not getting the joke) or the countless, "ever same" military shooters.
Why they get away with using the same stuff over and over again is beyond me. Still, if you like them, im fine with it. But its NOT a reason for a lowered review score. If stuff like that would really matter, shooters in general would have reached scores of 1 by now, since they havent evolved past "point at man and shoot" since the PS2 era.

ChessboardMan

ChessboardMan said:

@aaronsullivan unless there's new footage as well, aren't you comparing half a year old footage to the very latest screenshot?
I think everyone agreed that the footage at the time looked pretty rough around the edges, so it isn't all that surprising that they've orked on the graphics a fair bit since then.

Dr_Corndog

Dr_Corndog said:

I had a roommate who was a fan of the series. Definitely looked like a guilty pleasure sort of game to me.

Grannamir

Grannamir said:

Well i don't known about reaching 1 million (somenthing is telling me they will achieve more then that)... but i will buy it for sure, and have lots of fan making super moves with Link.

ProudasaPeacock

ProudasaPeacock said:

I'll probably get this. I've never played a Warriors game before so this should make a good introduction to the series.
Also, that new screenshot looks really good :) Shame they're still using the Skyward Sword bokoblins though, I was hoping those were just placeholder models. Those guys and their leopard-print just creep me the heck out.

vattodev

vattodev said:

@HappyHappyist If you played any Warriors game you already know what to expect on this one. What we don't know is what characters are going to be available and if duel mode is going to be available. If they really follow the Warriors formula and give us nearly 20 playable characters and duel mode, then it is going to sell a lot. Who doesn't want to see link fighting ganon in a true fighting game engine full of combos and sword moves?

noctowl

noctowl said:

Def buy for me. From time to time it's nice to have a game you can just turn your brain off and enjoy the action.

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

@MadAdam81

What the only games that you could argue aren't related are the Original two, the Oracle games, four swords, and the minish cap. Every thing elsw is pretty conntctes story wise. Though I agree with you on face value its semi remakes.

DiscoGentleman

DiscoGentleman said:

I'm very excited for this game, as a Zelda fan and a Dynasty Warriors fan (though I haven't played much of the latter in the past 4 years, except for Warriors Orochi on Wii U, which I really enjoyed).

I totally don't understand the hate on this game. Don't get it at all.
So many "hardcore fans" are hating on it, won't give it a chance or buy it, talk sh!t about it, and then wonder why the only things that sells on Wii U are 1st party Mario/Zelda titles. "Oh? It's not solely made by Nintendo? IT'S CRAP!"

"Fans" like these are the reason people hate Nintendo fans.

SomeBitTripFan

SomeBitTripFan said:

Eh, the trailer put me off and I'm not going to be the guy to buy a game just because it has Zelda on the box. Unless they show something to change my mind personally (As of right now, the game just looks like a flashy slaughterfest of enemies who just stare at you.) I'll pass.

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

I'm not sure about a million, it's a niche genre, on a system with a limited userbase.

Esiwlwo

Esiwlwo said:

I would pay full price for a new Zelda game in a heartbeat...but I don't think I would drop full price on a dynasty warriors title, so I may wait on it. Will have to see more.

Expa0

Expa0 said:

I don't care for Zelda much and beyond the empires subseries I'm not too big into DW either, but I'm still kinda interested to see how they pull this of. At the very least I'm more interested in this than your average Zelda game.

Action51 said:

@memoryman3 - Is this the "Downgrade" you were so worried about?

It's the Super Mario World 3D alpha trailer all over again.

When was the last time Nintendo showed early footage that was better then the finished product?

Can we now officially call your "downgrade" theory debunked?

• Oh wait! Now we have "doctored screenshots!" Aha! Toss away your downgrade worries, we have new unfounded negative attacks to shift our attention to!

Thanks! - I was afraid you might throw in the towel, but you are the gift that keeps on giving...a sort of laughably predictable misinformation troll.

Action51 said:

@faint - i know, but he's so much fun because he posts easily debunked misinformation all the time and is completely oblivious.

memoryman3

memoryman3 said:

@Action51 This is not developed by Nintendo.

Nintendo's screens show none of the fake effects shown here.

Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario 3D World's shots have aliasing.

This looks too clean and too high res. Downsampling from an ultra high resolution. Plus the same textures from the trailer.

Tainy

Tainy said:

Personally, I'm not excited about this at all. It actually looks pretty bad. Very poor presentation.

kereke12

kereke12 said:

This game looks awesome but I have to complain. What's the story line of this??

Action51 said:

@memoryman3 - fake effects.

Got it...okay then. Everyone remember that?

Untitled

Wait a second...are those screens from an existing Wii U game using the same engine?

Damn those doctored screenshots taken from the Wii U directly!

memoryman3

memoryman3 said:

@faint @Action51 Did Dynasty Warriors 8 look like this on PS4?
Untitled

Using the same fake motion blur of HYRULE WARRIOR.....

EDIT: Spong.... SPONG? You just backfired on yourself kid....

Action51 said:

@memoryman3 - wow dude...you are something else.

First, you originally claimed you feared some vague "downgrade" in the Hyrule Warriors graphics, which based on precedent, and the very method by which alpha through beta through final releases work...is just silly.

So now we have a more recent screenshot and your "downgrade" theory is more silly then ever...so what do you do?

Fake effects! Doctored screenshots!

So I show you screens of an existing game on Wii U...and again totally debunk your nonsense.

Now you post a random screenshot from some version of the game and ask us if it's for a PS4 game, and try to discredit Sprong...ohhh some little website called Sprong is in on the conspiracy to make a Wii U game (a game that I own by the way...got it for $17 bucks!) ...look better then it is?

• new memoryman3 conspiracy!... Sprong (who I really don't know much about except they had easily accessible pics of the Wii U version) is trying to make Hyrule Warriors look better by posting "doctored" pics of Warriors of Orochi 3 Hyper Wii U edition!

Wow...you are AMAZING! Please never leave this site because you provide so much entertainment!

PS: nothing personal memoryman3 ...it's just that I don't think you post on these forums in good faith.

World

World said:

I've never liked the Warriors games (I guess I've only played, like, two of them so whatever). But if there is a storyline involving a sympathetic Ganondorf trying to unite feudal Hyrule, I am THERE.

BoobooMama

BoobooMama said:

I haven't played a DW game since the PS2, but I'm so hyped for this! If this really does take place before Skyward Sword, I really doubt Ganondorf or Zelda will be a playable character though...

maceng

maceng said:

@memoryman3
Definitely not a million. 3DS fan base sits at around 42 million, while the Wii U camp is almost stagnant at 6.1million. So its a 7 to 1 ratio. If the latest Zelda on the 3DS managed to sell 5million, then, yes, it is a proability, that this will hit a million sales (Wii U owners tend to buy more software than 3DS ones). I think that they should not expect more than 650-700 thousands units.

faint

faint said:

@maceng your ignoring certin things here like zelda not being that popular as a whole in japan but warriors consistently being popular there. Also the obvious boost the wii u will have in sales due to mario kart

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Sounds like a solid sales goal to me. Even though we know next to nothing about it, Hyrule Warriors does have the potential to bring in elements from throughout the Zelda series in it, which could be a lot of elements considering how large the Zelda universe is.

maceng

maceng said:

@faint:
The said the same thing about Mario 3D World: it's gonna boost the WiiU sales. Guess what, it didn't happened (well, just a bit). Even if the Wii U manages to approach the 9 million mark (it won't), then it will mena that one in every 9 Wii U owners will buy the game, which I doubt.

Pikmin was supposed to be big in Japan and it didn't sell. Only a bunch of WiiU games have surpassed the 1 million mark, all of them made by Nintendo. Even Zelda's WindWaker managed to sell just 1.2 million, including those tethered to a Wii U.

I hope that they sell more than a million. I'm just been realistic and a bit cautious about it.

maceng

maceng said:

Also, read all the comments here: very few are stating that they will buy downright the game. Most are taking a waiting stance and for some is not their cup of tea (like me).

maceng

maceng said:

You are right, faint.
31 people are buying it vs 29 that they say that they don't have any interest in the game.

For those that are in the fence, I count them all and divided evenly among the two groups. I didn't consider those that made comments not expressing their intent to buy or that were repetitive.

faint

faint said:

@memoryman3 your right about that but it is being overseen by the lead director of the current zelda series. I also bet they are spending more monney on the final product then they normally would since they are spending nintys monney instead of their own.

Action51 said:

@memoryman3 - Uhm..."doctored screenshots"...?

Are those next to President Obama's fake birth certificate and that old reel of Bigfoot film? Are they in Area 51? Area 52 maybe? Next to the fake moon landing video?

Seriously, what are you going on about?
I've already thoroughly debunked your misinformation, now go find another thread to infest. Shoo!

SonataAndante

SonataAndante said:

I'll most likely give it a whirl, seems like an interesting game and I've never played a Dynasty Warriors game. I imagine the gameplay will be quality, but I still don't like the use of Skyward Sword's very cartoony looking Bokoblins. I personally think they look a bit out of place with everything else shown. SS has a distinct art style and I don't think directly lifting assets from it and mixing them with other things is the best idea.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Of course I'll be scooping this up day one. I never miss a release. Gotsta have me ALL dem games!

1 million is a realistic, sensible, and very attainable goal. Such contrast to the AAA game industry, where 4 million sold loses money and jeopardizes the franchise.

Mikeopferman

Mikeopferman said:

Never played a Dynasty Warriors game, but I will buy this on day one because of Zelda, barring a horrible review from this site. I really want Zelda WiiU! I do hope they have a cool multiplayer part in it. I actually thought about buying a cheap Dynasty Warriors game just to get a feel for it.

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

I'm really excited for this game and will probably get it at launch if I can find the money.

BUT — I really hope they settle on an art style. The brand new, detailed, realistic dodongo is great. I'd love a game modeled like that. And I liked the bokoblin look in Skyward Sword and would really enjoy an action game in that style. But mixing realism and superdeformity makes for a really awful overall look that seems cheap, incohesive and confusing, in my eyes. A game isn't all about visuals and I may end up loving it anyway, but if the game launches looking like it does right now, that aspect will be a MAJOR disappointment for me.

Gamecubii-64DD

Gamecubii-64DD said:

"This new screen looks rather tasty" LOL. A nice ref to Slippy from Starfox Assault! "This base...it looks...RATHER TASTY!" "You're driving this happy go lucky thing to the limit slippy." ROFL

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

I'll be getting it, the last DW game i played was on the PS2. It looks like fun, and i love the bright colours they use in the visuals.

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

Easiest and best way to 1 million sales? Nintendo, I have your answer...

Try some advertising. I know, I know, sounds nutty, even downright insane. Make it fun, heck, you don't even have to show the game, but maybe lose the family on the couch routine. Sony ran PS4 ads for 6 months that didn't show anything but dudebros singing and explosions. Have some guy in a Link costume hack away at some Orc-like creatures then slap the Hyrule Warriors name and a Wii U at the end and put it on TV. You might get some sales and even gasp sell a few U's in the process.

Hong

Hong said:

One million? So bold.

I wish them the best success with this product. :)

MrWu

MrWu said:

The visuals need a bump. The trailer had too much green and uninspired castle /brick textures. It's lacking a bit of ooomph.

Granted the franchise has rarely traded on visuals given it can get quick hectic with lots of enemies and the focus is to put as many enemy soldiers on screen as possible, it still needs to look presentable.

memoryman3

memoryman3 said:

@Action51 Plus Super Mario 3D World alpha trailer looked close to the final product.
Except the poles not giving you a 1UP
I actually liked that trailer.

memoryman3

memoryman3 said:

@JaxonH Why would this sell even close to 250k?

If this reaches one million. I will be very shocked. I mean, this would be VERY telling of what Nintendo fans demand. Anything that has ZELDA on the box.....

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Though I like this kind of game, I don't think the Legend of Zelda universe is fit for this type of genre. Fire Emblem would be more suitable but the Legend of Zelda? That's kinda meh at best, other than Link, Sheik, and Zelda who else would be a playable general? With Fire Emblem at least you know which unit you can train and which general to kill in able to complete a mission.

mch

mch said:

I'll keep both eyes on it. Hope it turns out to be great. It would be my first of the series.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@memoryman3

Why wouldn't it? This is not some western AAA title, this is a Japanese title. And one crossed over with Legend of Zelda at that. Nobody said 3rd party games don't sell. It's WESTERN AAA 3rd party games that have the biggest problems selling. And anything that has to do with Zelda is going to do pretty well. I'd be shocked if this game couldn't manage what they're shooting for. Might take 6 months to a year, but they'll get there.

It is what it is. One of the most fundamental tenets in business is 'brand sells'. You do a crossover with Link in the game, and it's going to bring in customers from the Zelda fanbase. That's the whole reason they're doing this crossover in the first place. Zelda sells. You like Warriors? Come play this game. You like Zelda? Come play this game. That's the purpose of a crossover.

But who cares anyways? If it doesn't hit a million, what difference does it make? This is a pretty trivial thing to argue about...

@memoryman3

• So there was no "downgrade", and in fact there hasn't been a "downgrade" on any game we've seen for Wii U in terms of initial footage vs final game. Only the opposite in a few cases.
  • You still have no evidence that any screenshots were "doctored" and in fact general screenshots from a Wii U game I posted using what we might assume will be the same engine would suggest there is no need to "doctor" them anyway.
  • You attack the Spong website and suggest that negates my examples, but you don't say why. The fact is, Spong had nothing to say about Hyrule Warriors. They simply had a Wii U specific screenshot secion for Warriors of Orochi 3. So we can assume that was a desperation tactic.

Here's some from GameDynamo :

Gamershell:
Untitled

These are all from the Wii U version specifically. I suppose you should be ready to happily admit you were wrong and that the final version may end up looking half decent?

That is what you want, right?
As a Nintendo fan who visits this forum frequently...you do want more quality games on the Wii U, right?

Hmm?

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@memoryman3

And yes, pretty much every single Wii U game. Well, every one worth owning anyways. I don't buy the shovelware.

I own every 1st party release, every AAA multiplat, and every 3rd party exclusive. I don't do LEGO games or movie tie-ins (I DO own Lego City Undercover though), and of course I stay away from the shovelware.

memoryman3

memoryman3 said:

@Action51 Sonic Transformed Wii U e-shop screens are doctored. Look at the e-shop screens, then play the demo. (AA and effects ramped up to max at 1080p vs 576p in game with post process AA)

@JaxonH
You put Hyrule WARRIOR over decent Western AAA titles on Wii U?

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@memoryman3

I don't put any game OVER another. I buy em all, and I play em all. Who says you have to choose one or the other? I can enjoy Hyrule Warriors, and turn around and play Watch Dogs all the same. Nobody's putting anything OVER another game. But when it comes to sales, yes, absolutely. Hyrule Warriors should sell WAY more than AAA multiplats, because it's crossed over with the Zelda franchise. Keep in mind, there's ONE kind of game Nintendo fans love, and that's 1st party. You cross a game over with one of Nintendo fans' most beloved characters? Of course it's going to do well.

I think you make the mistake of believing that just because a game sells more, that means it's better. Forgetting that different people have different preferences. And Nintendo fans have preference for Zelda.

Action51 said:

@JaxonH - I don't think that he's quite getting the concept of:
"keep digging yourself a deeper hole"

But it is pretty fun seeing what new tricks, fallacies, and logic pretzels he will use next!

memoryman3

memoryman3 said:

@JaxonH Sometimes I don't know what to say. People would take a CASH-IN over a good western game on Nintendo?

This game will sell 200k MAXIMA!

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@memoryman3

But who are you to judge what others should or shouldn't enjoy?

You act as if every person in the world is SUPPOSED to like western AAA games or something? And you act as if just because YOU don't think Hyrule Warriors looks good, that everyone else is SUPPOSED to mimic your personal opinions.

Soccer's a great game, but it's not that popular in North America. Hockey's a great game and Canadians love it, but come to the US and nobody follows the sport. American football is king in the US, but not so much elsewhere. There is such a thing as preference, and different people like different things.

Nintendo is the fanbase of gamers who like different things.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@memoryman3

And yes, absolutely agree. You DO damage the brand if it sucks. Which is one of the key reasons I believe this game will be good. Nintendo isn't going to want to damage the Zelda brand.

Action51 said:

@memoryman3 - I'm not a big fan of the Warriors series. I think they're okay...not bad. I think Call of Duty is okay...not bad. So...?

First off, the Japanese fan base will eat this up. I'm glad they get a game they probably really want. I'm not a selfish twelve year old...I'm happy to see everyone get games they like.

Secondly, I think we'll have to see how this whole thing plays out before we start praising or condemning it, huh? This is a first time collaboration of this kind between the two franchises.

Let's wait a little and see how it shapes up before we post review scores.

Action51 said:

Here's one that looks really bad:

Untitled

That doesn't mean the effects used in the Hyrule Warriors pics was fake...since we know the game frequently uses them.

Like this:

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

???

Who said anything about wanting less games? I'm not AGAINST games coming to Wii U. I just don't freak out about it when certain games don't come. Especially when those games are known to consistenly flop.

@JaxonH - yup!

Check this:

Untitled

See, that's the thing with the Warriors games...they look okay when static, but can be beautiful when there's a lot of action going on.

memoryman3

memoryman3 said:

@JaxonH Good games flopping. Bad games doing well. It's all depressing. Could we stop talking about the flops, It makes me sad even though I have a PS4.....

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@memoryman3

Good games that Nintendo fans don't have a preference for. Just cause a game is good, doesn't mean it's what everyone is going to LIKE.

Bad games to YOU. Not to the people buying them.

memoryman3

memoryman3 said:

@JaxonH Well I would be fine if it didn't leave the lineup to be absolutely BARREN after Mario Kart and Watch_Dogs and SSB....

@memoryman3

Desperation tactic! LOL!...it's your attack on Spong all over again!

Is that fake too?
Give it up...you were proven wrong.
Aren't you glad the game will look better then that original alpha trailer?

Wow man!
Here is what you are saying essentially:

The internet is brimming with dozens of "doctored shots" of the Wii U version of Warriors of Orochi 3 Hyper which were posted all over the web roughly a year ago...all for the express purpose of making the game engine look better to create false expectations for a Hyrule Warriors game that wasn't even announced at the time.

Please don't drive anywhere while under the influence of whatever large quantity of reality altering substances you need to take in order to believe in that absurd logic pretzel.

Action51 said:

@memoryman3 - Doctored photogate continues!!!

Untitled

Look at these people doctoring screenshots of the Xbox360 now!
Clearly Gears of War 3 isn't just a nice looking game!

@memoryman3

• but didn't you say that the Hyrule Warriors final game will look worse?
  • Why is that game different?
  • What was all that about a "downgrade" then?

Okay...you aren't even taking your trolling seriously anymore. I was having fun, but now I just feel bad for you.

Happy gaming 'till next time! :)

faint

faint said:

@memoryman3 so no sonic boom or infinity or sky landers and ninty is having this big digital event to announce nothing? So all of e3 will pas and no games will be added to the roster?

Action51 said:

@faint - They didn't announce ANYTHING last year, just Super Mario 3D world, Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Monolishsoft X, Bayonetta 2, Super Smash Bros,,, Watchdogs, Call of Duty: Ghosts, Batman Arkham Origins, Assassin's Creed 4, Skylanders Swap Force, and a bunch of indie games that no one cares about like Scram Kitty, and Shovel Knight.

Zymesh

Zymesh said:

A possible scenario for the story would be how hey incorporated the different timelines/era/"universe" of Gundam in Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3.

Story for that game was the different era pilots and mechs was transported into one dimension and duked out. So friendlies will coop with bad guys since they did not know they were bad in their respective 'universe'. Another storyline was for specific per era re-enacting what happened in the anime.

Please note that Gundam has different timelines,and eras like Universal Century, Cosmic Era, etc and most of the notable characters/gundam/mechs are in the game.

So i guess yes, its possible for Ganon, Mina, Zelda, Cartoon Link and other characters from the Zelda Universe to be in the same field as coop or enemies. Cant wait to know more about this game.

element187

element187 said:

@memoryman3 what a silly thing to say. All retail and commercial games are created for the purpose of making money, because that's what businesses do, make money. I know, earth shattering stuff here, companies try to make money.

They create a product that people may want to purchase. Is there anything wrong or inheritantly bad about trying to leverage a product to make a profit? The allure of making a profit has led to some very interesting and useful inventions.... Without the motivations of profit, cars, computers, and even video games would have never been invented if it wasn't for the desire for someone to make a profit somewhere. Profit and greed has created so many great and amazing things in our world that just wouldn't be possible in a Marxist/progressive environment where everything is controlled and run by government.

A seperate question. Why are so many gamers anti-capitalist and Marxist? I always see comments on video game sites where gamers just loathe companies who make money, when it's that desire for money that creates the motivation and willingness for a company to want to invest the capital necessary to make a high quality product that people want to purchase. This entire hobby wouldn't even exist without the desire to make lots and lots of money. Profit is good for the video game industry, without it the industry wouldn't even exist.

blodermoder

blodermoder said:

@element187
Because maximizing profits and making good games, while related, are completely different things. People like it when their favorite vg-company makes money, but just because a game sells well to a large crowd, it doesn't mean that it provides better content to the average gamer. You don't have to be a marxist or anti-capitalist to think that.

Action51 said:

@element187 - because entertainment media like music, film, and even video games straddle that fine line between art and industry.

If you're young, you may have never heard of the term "selling out"...that was an expression meant to describe a musician or band that gave up making artistic, meaningful music to sell more recordings to a mass market.

Ultimately, your point is totally valid, but there is a difference between a company that makes utilitarian products like soap (hint: people rarely go on-line to troll DIal and Coast message boards) and a company that makes video games or a studio that makes television shows.

@memoryman3

Are you STILL insisting like a temperamental child that there will be this mystical and unprecedented "downgrade" in visuals from the early alpha trailer?

Since logic and facts have absolutely no effect:
Untitled

That will probably have the same effect on your nonsense.