Zelda Remakes Still Part of Nintendo's Quest

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Miyamoto weighing up two distinct options

Ever since The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D arrived on 3DS, fans of the series have been eager to see what's next. Our team had hopes, before they were cruelly dashed, that an all-new Zelda entry would be teased for 3DS at E3. Judging on comments made by Shigeru Miyamoto to IGN, however, it seems that Nintendo is prioritising the potential revival of two classics in the franchise.

The identity of the two titles is hardly a surprise, with Miyamoto reiterating previous teases that A Link to the Past and Majora's Mask are on the agenda. He also went on to say that consideration would be given to expanding the audience for both 3DS and Wii U with its Zelda entries, so he may not be talking exclusively about 3DS in terms of these remakes.

We haven't quite decided yet, whether we're going to do A Link to the Past, because there's also the possibility of doing a remake of Majora's Mask. This is something we've certainly been talking about and doing a little bit of experimenting with, to figure out which way we're going to go.

We have so many goals right now. We're always looking at expanding our audience and giving people the opportunity to get their hands on 3DS and see what kind of fun gaming experiences they can have. And now, we're also tasked with pushing the Wii U. So we have lots of good opportunities in terms of thinking about which Zelda game is going to be best for which purpose.

All suitably vague, but which title would you prefer to play again? Should one of them appear on Wii U, rather than just focusing on a 3D remake? Let us know in the comments below.

[via uk.ign.com]

Related Games

BenAV

BenAV said:

I'd like to see each at some stage, because I would love to play a remade version of both.
I'll take new Zelda games over either any day though.

Koos

Koos said:

Hopefully Majora's Mask, since I downladed a Link to the Past to the Wii already. I also downloaded Ocarina and regretted it since I also bought the remake. Majora's mask is like the twin of Ocarina and that should be the obvious choice anyway.

tinman

tinman said:

Which title would you prefer to play again?

NONE! Give me new games. Nintendo, I'm already fed up with your thinking about more remakes.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

New games take much longer to produce than remakes. The demand for good games quickly forces them to produce remakes from time to time while also working on the next new game behind the scenes.

Chrno-x

Chrno-x said:

remake A Link to the Past on 3DS and Majora's Mask on Wii U at launch. But now I prefer both of them on 3DS.

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

Given the option, I'd rather Nintendo just make a new Zelda game built from the ground up for 3DS, but The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D and 3D Classics: A Link to the Past would still be insta-buys for me. Because I'm both a big Zelda nerd and a sucker.

What I definitely don't want though, and what I've seen discussed on some gaming forums, is a re-imagining of ALttP in the style of the N64-to-present console entries, because 1) if they're going to do that, they might as well just make a brand new game anyway and 2) Ocarina of Time already was that.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I would like a Majora's Mask remake for 3DS or Wii U. A Link to the Past would be great for a 3D Classic.

Mainly, I would like Majora's Mask because it's still a Zelda game I haven't played yet and it would be nice to have an updated remake for it after Ocarina of Time got one. They shouldn't leave it behind in the N64 age when a modern remake would make it shine as much as OOT.

To those worried that such remakes would take up Nintendo's time in making new games, they could give the responsibility of making these remakes to a studio like Grezzo. Nintendo EAD wasn't involved in OOT 3D. While the studio could work on remakes, Nintendo could still think and work on new games.

thanos316

thanos316 said:

A new zelda game for the wii u. Why just throw out a demo of zelda at e3 2011 and now 2012 is here your talking about remakes. Something new and fresh so the masses out there wont think that all nintendo systems are about are remakes..

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

Gladly buy both. Gladly buy a new game for both systems. And I'd gladly buy a VC release of Ages/Seasons.

THENAMESNORM

THENAMESNORM said:

I think A Link to the Past would work better on 3DS, and Majora's Mask would be better suited to Wii-U

Marakuto

Marakuto said:

If a 3D Link to the Past came out (With the Downfall timeline storyline implemented) I would definately get it!

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

I'd much rather see enhanced remakes of the Mystical Seed trilogy (better known as the Oracle series), with Mystical Seed of Courage reinstated as a title in the trilogy. After all, video game technology has come a long way since the days of the Game Boy Color, so surely Nintendo is able to reproduce a trilogy of games with a fully-functioning password/transfer system. :)

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

Stop being lazy Nintendo and do both. Sheesh - of course Nintendo IS lazy these days - no sense of urgency at all coming from them.

SPEtheridge

SPEtheridge said:

i'd want both but if it was only one it would be a remake of ALTTP that would be awesome with the 3DS screen would have to be 2D or 2.5D though no fully 3d remake.

Emaan

Emaan said:

I'd rather Majora's Mask be on the 3DS, as its the sequel to Ocarina of Time, so its better to keep them both in one place. Majora's Mask can be remade like Ocarina of Time was in 3D, with reworked graphics. A Link to the Past though, I wish it could just be in HD on the Wii U, no major changes. With remakes in question however, I'd love to see HD remakes of both Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

Also a Legend of Zelda HD collection for the Wii U

Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, bring it out in the Wii U's third year and I'll be stoked.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Oh I would love to see OOT on the Wii U! Just imagine it with the same graphics as that tech demo from last years E3! I would also take any Zelda game remade on the 3DS. Its just an all new experience. The game I would like to see the most however on my 3DS would have to be Wind Waker!! Make it happen Nintendo!

eternalstar0211

eternalstar0211 said:

A new Zelda game on both systems which is a sequel to a link to the past would please me.Also,IGN is having a poll on whether fans want a Majora remake,ALTTP remake or sequel maybe Ninty will check on opinions there.

JohnDoe123

JohnDoe123 said:

A Link to the Past. I already have Majora's Mask. But what I really want is a new 2D Zelda.

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

both please,I would mostly play MM though *BUT*since they have lots of time before the 3ds is old,with MM put in MM beta,MM was suppose to have 6 temples,7 days,a story of how majoras mask was made(the mask not the game),you could play as adult link,the moon had no face and more.That would be really epic to have after beating MM.The sad thing was this never came to be because the game cube was around the cornner so they rushed MM.

this stuff is real,not hacked

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

MM MUST BE on the 3DS, after all, it is a direct sequel to OOT.

A link to the past would be great on both!

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

Both, but Majora's Mask if they can't do both because Link to the Past was on GBA. I think there's going to be a new Zelda on 3DS before there's another remake.

Silvervisiona

Silvervisiona said:

Since Nintendo hasn't decided yet, it will still be a long time before we get to see anything. I think they should do a brand new top-down Zelda, followed by a remake of MM. Or, do a 3D remake of Link to the Past, followed by a brand new 3D Zelda!

Expa0

Expa0 said:

Majora's Mask and Wind Waker are the only Zelda titles I like, but really I don't see the point of these remakes especially since OOT remake made it apparent that they're not willing to add any meaningful extra content. And also the touchscreen menu was extremely awkward to use. I recommend downloading the VC releases if someone really wants to play OOT or MM.

Steamboat_Willie

Steamboat_Willie said:

A Link to the Past is already perfect the way it is to me. Majora's Mask is my favorite 3d Zelda, but I admit that it could use a fresh coat of paint.

So, MM remake for me.

EvilLink

EvilLink said:

I hope Nintendo do a Link to the Past sequel for the WiiU, that would be awesome.

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

Remakes are really good if you're a fan of the series and they do it really well and of course, Nintendo always do! Since OOT is a 3DS remake wouldn't it make sense to do MM on 3DS too?
As for me I'm not really a fan of handheld games, had a few G&W's but that was it. I found myself buying handhelds from Gamegear to DSi and I'd play them a few weeks then get tired of it... I never understood why...
So naturally any Wii remakes will do me fine but, again, I've downloaded the Zelda titles from the VC and I'm not that huge of a fan so I won't be spending more money on getting the same games again.

Doma

Doma said:

@bezerker99
True, you'd expect them to have at least started development on something by now. Kinda unbelievable that they're still at the 'pondering' stage, after a full year.

Majora's Mask remake should take priority (LttP just doesn’t need one), but i'd hope for some actual new content this time. Would a few new masks/side quest be too much to ask for? they'd need to add something to make up for the lack of a (already made) MQ mode.

Shotgunryugan

Shotgunryugan said:

I really hope they remake Majora's Mask,that is my favorite 3D Zelda game,so i am definitely buying it,if it gets remade.

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

I'd buy either... but I REALLY hope if they do A Link to the Past, that they'll recreate it as a 3D Zelda, with maybe the original 16-bit version also on the cart. I know it would take a LOT more time and work from them, but it would be exciting and new enough to satisfy those wanting a brand new Zelda, but familiar enough to please fans of the classic.

NintendoLand

NintendoLand said:

@Doma @bezerker99

I'm getting sick of people calling Nintendo lazy(since 2006) do you NOT realize they are a Software AND hardware developer in the industry?

funny 2010 "nintendo is Lazy" video:

Let's see whats currently on this "lazy" companies plate...

Hardware
:Wii U Console (HD, new experiences etc.)
Wii U Controller (NFC development, Motion tech, touchscreen etc.)
Wii U Classic Controller (possibly working on one final design)
More hardware to come (that other lazy hardware developers will just copy)

Wii U Software development off the top of my head:
Wii U original OS
2 gamepad controller support firmware update
Miiverse
Nintendoland
New Super Mario Bros. U
Pikmin 3
Wii Fit U
Game & Wario
Retro Studios 2 projects (1 unknown title and 1 original IP)
Wii U Panorama View (INNOVATIVE AND ORIGINAL AS HECK!!)
Super Smash Bros 4 for Wii U (AND 3DS)
Several more Wii U games currently in development

3DS software development off the top of my head:
you know what? This is gonna take forever. I've made my point enough already and this list does't take into account the full pressure they get to continue other IP's, Star Fox U, F-Zero, Zelda's, Wii Sports U, Mario Kart U etc.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Isn't it obvious? Nintendo, get to work on a Link to the Past sequel. At the same time, get Grezzo working on a Majora's Mask remake. These two are so obvious, they should start tomorrow. Finally, slightly more wishful, get Capcom working on Oracle of Seasons/Ages sequels for both the Wii U and 3DS, with cross-compatibility between the two.

NintendoLand

NintendoLand said:

Back on topic:

as you can see Nintendo has an outstanding workload on their plate. So naturally they will be heartbroken between choosing to create an original Zelda(which satisfies most fans) but takes MORE time. OR developing a remake(which satisfies less fans) but is faster to make.

I always wanted to see an Ocarina of Time HD remake. Problem is, they just released an Ocarina of Time remake on 3DS, so naturally their next zelda remake will be Majoras Mask 3DS.

What they should do is hire a New 2nd party developer to create an original Zelda 3DS/Wii U IP(maybe the stories can cross platforms?) with fresh ideas, and while that 2nd party creates new Zalda games, Nintendo can develop the remakes simultaneously.

Nintendo should then finish the MM 3DS remake and then create an Ocarina-of-Time-style Link to the Past in HD for Wii U.If you thought Twilight Princess was dark, you must have never played a Link to the Past. I can't imagine how dark and scary a 3rd person Link to the past HD would be!!

NintendoLand

NintendoLand said:

@dark-insanity you mean to tell me Majoras Mask was supposed to be even MORE EPIC?!!

I did not know this.

Hey... you might be onto something here... would love to see the extended version of Majora's Mask... sounds amazing.

Zach777

Zach777 said:

Remake Majora's Mask, get someone like Grezzo to do it. Miyamoto can work on A Link to the Past 3D because he is the one who brought it up anyway. Then just port the Oracle games to the 3DS VC. Nintendo already said they were interested in the MM remake AND ALttP so it's a bad move to say they are interested in both and then bring it to an either-or choice. They will inevitably upset someone with that road.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

Isn't it obvious? Release A Link to the Past as a FREE 3D Classic for Zelda's 26th anniversary, and Majora's Mask as a 3D Remake early next year, because they would need the time to get started, and if they pushed it, they could release it early next year :)

TNLGUY

TNLGUY said:

Give us SNES VC on 3DS and gimme my Majora's Mask remake and I'll be happy.

Steamboat_Willie

Steamboat_Willie said:

And if you do decide to remake either of them, make sure you roll out a special edition 3DS with them like you did with OoT. :)

kimaster

kimaster said:

@BenAV Whichever game they decide to remake, it wont be the Zelda team working on it. They're already working on the next console Zelda. The remake(s) will most likely be made by Grezzo studios, the ones who did the Ocarina of Time 3D remake.

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

I say remake A Link to the Past for the 3DS and then remake Majora's Mask for Wii U. Termina is just begging to be re-imagined in high definition.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Preferably neither as I'd always take a new Zelda, but if there's one game I'd like remade and remastered, it would be this (and it may come as a huge shock)-- the original Legend of Zelda: visuals brought up to LTTP standard, bosses and world 3D'd and made more vivid. They can make it a part of the 3D Classics series for all I care, but I feel that would be a great new (and much needed) way to experience the original LoZ... it derserves it, I think.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

I would really, reaaally like to see Majora's Mask be released as a remake just as Ocarina was.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Man, I'm tired of all the teasing for A Link to the Past, which they've done for like a year now (I like Majora's Mask too, but not as much), and it now might not even be the one to be remade. I know MM has only been put on VC aside from the N64 release. However, in 20 years, A Link to the Past has only had the GBA port and its VC release. Oh yeah, MM was also on the GameCube Zelda Collector's Edition disc. So, despite being 8 years older, LttP has as many releases as MM.

Of course, I'm biased because I'm a retro gamer to my very core, but they need to give the 3D Zeldas a rest for a while, in my opinion. The last traditional overhead Zelda was Spirit Tracks, 3 or 4 years ago. In the meantime, we've had Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time 3DS. And you can bet that Zelda Wii U will be 3D, we've already seen the tech demo. It's time for another classic Zelda, and what better than A Link to the Past? At some point, I'd like to see Majora's Mask. But, I'd like to see a return to Zelda's overhead roots first, as I'm a little burnt out on the 3D (and others may be too, going by Skyward Sword's sales).

Just because the 3DS has the capabilities to present great looking 3D Zelda games doesn't mean that's the only kind of Zelda game I want to see from here on out. The original TLoZ, TLoZ: A Link to the Past, and others like them drew in hoards of fans and made gamers everywhere happy ages before 3D gaming was possible.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

I've wanted a Link to the Past remake since I saw THIS picture of what it could look like.
Untitled
I'm sorry, MM fans, but I'll take that over MM every day of the year!

Hokori

Hokori said:

None, if you must do something MM related on 3DS let it be a Majoras' Mask Mask as a StreetPass item, or you know any of the 24 masks in the game.

Rapido

Rapido said:

COME ON!!!! Nintendo!! Give us a NEW Zelda game. I'll buy ten of thousands of it (Fingers Crossed). Majoras Mask remake would be nice though.

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

Considering the overall atmosphere of Majora's Mask (and level of creepiness) I'd say a remake of it on Wii U would work better for it. It would be more doable to remake it completely on the Wii U rather than do a reskinned port like the 3DS Ocarina of Time (you can easily tell if you look at the environments, especially walls and the ground).

Link to the Past would probably work better for the 3DS since it already has had some time on portables. The original viewpoint seems more suited for a portable system. It seems to be one of those games where if you change too much (for example viewpoint) it'll damage the original experience of playing the game.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Enough with the remakes already. The money and development time spent on this could be put to better use by making a new Star Fox, F-Zero or Wave Race, or even better a brand new IP for the 'core' gamers.

Henmii

Henmii said:

I first want to see a totally new 3DS Zelda, and I guess it's underway. I mean: They haven't decided yet if they will do a A link to the past or Majora's mask remake, but they must be doing SOMETHING in the mean time!

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

I'd really like to see OoT 3D released for Wii U eShop without fancy 3D, but having traditional controls, aswell as using the Gamepad for 3DS type controls.This would go for any remake they release on 3DS, please bring it to Wii U on eShop too.I prefer most games on a home console.

ouroborous

ouroborous said:

I love the remake of Ocarina, but it's a sin that there is not already a NEW Zelda game on the 3DS. I wouldn't be opposed to another remake of and old Zelda game but I want to see it on the 3DS and couldn't care less if they make one for the WiiU (though I do plan to buy a WiiU, if only for Pikmin3). Thank God there's a Castlevania for 3DS coming. I don't suppose we'll ever see another Metroid game on a handheld :( But if they need ideas, the fan-made remake of Metroid 2 is beyond georgeous and awesome, look it up.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

I'll take both but I would prefer them to remake A Link to the Past first. Oh and it doesn't bother me that Nintendo is remaking it's classics just as long as they are working on some new Zelda games for both the Wii U and the 3DS.

PoorVGameNerd

PoorVGameNerd said:

I still prefer the 2D Zeldas over the 3D ones. More action, less talking, no 10 minute cutscenes. Anyway, I think Nintendo should focus more on making new games rather than rehashing old titles over and over again, regardless of how great they are.

Chuie

Chuie said:

i like a new zelda game with a good story that takes a while to beat the game not real long but long like 25 hours all zelda games has good storys but i want a real good one

grimbldoo

grimbldoo said:

The OoT remake was just beautiful, the color and the fact that link had an actual nose (don't forgot the bottle wasn't shaped like some weird diamond), so the MM remake would also be amazing, since the 3DS is around the Wii's level, they could make the game even better quality than it was, but then it would lose some of its charm. I would really like an SSB remake though, I hope they think of it.

CowLaunch

CowLaunch said:

Majora's Mask, as I felt it was more in need of a remake than Ocarina. Same goes for Starwing over Starfox.

Drewroxsox

Drewroxsox said:

I don't want a MM remake, because that's the only Zelda game I played that I sucked at. I can't fly through each section in a timely matter, which is why I don't want to play that game anymore:) #NEWZELDA

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

I'll be honest, I have not played either.

But if I were to choose which one I would rather play, that would be a Link to the Past (I've heard so many good things about that one).

Doma

Doma said:

@Nintendoland #44
Excluding Retro's stuff and Smash Bros (which are too far off), that software line-up you list seems especially dire to me, so you can excuse me for not caring. I won't be buying a Wii U for a long while. (..1 original IP from Retro? what's your source for this btw)
Yeah, i'm aware they've got other stuff to work on. My disappointment comes from their current 3DS line-up which consists of games announced years ago.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

@PVGN - They are making new games. They just take longer than 18 months to finish. Remakes are what they fill the gaps with.

Untitled

I'd play that if it were real.

Jaco

Jaco said:

Majora's Mask for Wii U with emphasis on graphics, especially environments like waves in the ocean, snow blizzards, the swamp and the rain that happens on the 2nd day. Environmental effects would be awesome on an HD console and switching masks on the fly with the touchscreen would be amazing. (also just thought that an eclipse should technically be happening everyday so the lighting effects would be pretty cool and give a sense of suspence)

A Link to the Past would be perfect for the handheld not only for new 3D effects and graphics, but it would be an easier game to pick up and play on the go. With Majora's Mask you have to be able to engross yourself with the experience and sit down and play, not the best for on the go. With the SNES game you could just open your 3DS, play around for 10-15 min while on the subway or something then close it and when you open it be right back where you were.

Those are just my ideas anyway...

TheN64Dude

TheN64Dude said:

Majora's Mask. I think that game was way more of a classic and timeless story than LTTP. If you want a remake of Link to The Past just make it a 3D: Classics on the eShop. Majora's Mask was always my favorite Zelda game of all time (until Spirit Tracks came out) and I can't see Nintendo picking LTTP over Majora's Mask.

TheN64Dude

TheN64Dude said:

TheN64Dude

TheN64Dude said:

Besides you can easily compromise by having Majora's Mask 3D/HD AND 3D Classics: A Link To The Past.

TheN64Dude

TheN64Dude said:

Majora's Mask. I think that game was way more of a classic and timeless story than LTTP. If you want a remake of Link to The Past just make it a 3D: Classics on the eShop. Majora's Mask was always my favorite Zelda game of all time (until Spirit Tracks came out) and we already got Minish Cap & Link's Awakening on 3DS. I can't see Nintendo picking LTTP over Majora's Mask. In fact the logical thing to do is compromise. Have "Majora's Mask 3D" with "3D Classics: ALTTP" as a pre-order bonus. But, seriously do Majora's Mask! My sister and I will flip :D

Shock_Tart

Shock_Tart said:

i honestly want both but to me it would make more sense to put a link to the past as a 3d classics game for the e shop. and do a cartrage reliese for majoras mask like N64Dude said.

Edlicious

Edlicious said:

someone said wind waker 3d, and honestly that sounds pretty awesome, but then again the 3ds wouldn't produce that much better graphics.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

I was not the biggest fan of Majora's mask, played it, enjoyed it to an extent, but didn't love it. And I don't want a 2D A Link to the Past with 3D effects.

I would rather have Wind Waker (it was great even for 1/2 of a game) for it's vast oceans (in 3D), better graphics, or Twilight Princess.

Zanreo

Zanreo said:

I'd rather have ALTTP on Virtual Console/3D Classics, really. (What can I say, I like pixels/2D graphics.) Majora's Mask remake would be cool, though... as for 3DS or Wii U, I could take any of them.

TimboBaggins

TimboBaggins said:

Majora's Mask should be remade for the 3ds in the same exact fashion as Ocarina was. A link to the past would not look nearly as good in 3d. A link to the past should be completely remade with polygons instead of sprites and released as a downloadable game on the wii U, maybe with help messages or hints pop ups to appeal to casual gamers. Overall, A Link to the Past will be easier for a new player to control.

TimboBaggins

TimboBaggins said:

And by polygons, I still mean the normal top down Link to the Past. I want it to be exactly the same, but prettier, a la DKCR

srai

srai said:

wind waker would be way better cause its a detailed game with a lot of side quests

hcat

hcat said:

I didn't get a chance to play either of these (blasphemy, I know) and I'd love to have either ported.

Drawdler

Drawdler said:

I'd like both, but I'd prefer Majora's Mask. Didn't A Link To The Past already get put on a VC? And as someone else said, a Wind Waker remake would be epic also...

Quarghor

Quarghor said:

A Link to the Past! And screw Majora's Mask; give me Wind Waker instead. That would work absolutely wonderfully in 3D, considering its size and setting. It would be breathtaking, no doubt.

DrSlump

DrSlump said:

But, is it possible that nintendo designers have no more fantasy to bring new characters and stories to us?
What about a studio ghibli consulence?