Netflix Arrives on 3DS in North America Tomorrow

Posted by James Newton

(Updated with more details) Start streaming!

Those 3DS owners in North America upset about the slight delay to the Nintendo Video application might want to start smiling now: Netflix is coming to 3DS tomorrow.

The free application will allow Netflix members with an unlimited streaming plan to watch TV shows and movies in 2D on their 3DS through the magic of Wi-Fi.

Will you be grabbing Netflix?

Update: Here are some fresh details from a recent press release:

Starting today, Nintendo 3DS™ owners across the United States and Canada can download a free application that allows Netflix members with unlimited streaming plans to instantly watch TV episodes and movies streaming from Netflix. The attractive, easy-to-use service adds a huge value to the Nintendo 3DS portable system, and again demonstrates how Nintendo 3DS continues to present new and different experiences for owners almost every day.

Nintendo 3DS joins the Wii™ console in its ability to stream Netflix content. On an average day, more than 1.5 million Netflix members instantly watch TV shows or movies via the Wii console. Now available for download from the Nintendo eShop, the Netflix application makes it easy for people to enjoy big action films, award-winning documentaries or hit reality shows and sitcoms on the Nintendo 3DS system anytime, anywhere.

“The new Netflix application looks great, plays great and is a fantastic consumer experience,” said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. “It gives Nintendo 3DS owners access to an amazing wealth of movies and TV shows, which they can watch conveniently from thousands of free Wi-Fi access points across the country. Nintendo 3DS truly offers something for everyone.”

“Nintendo is a terrific partner with Netflix,” said Reed Hastings, co-founder and CEO of Netflix. “We’re excited to extend the partnership to include streaming on Nintendo 3DS.”

The new Netflix application for Nintendo 3DS displays movies and TV episodes in 2D on the system’s upper screen. Users will soon have access to an additional library of select movies that can be viewed in 3D without the need for special glasses.

Use of the Netflix application on Nintendo 3DS requires a broadband Internet connection and a Netflix streaming membership starting at $7.99 a month. Netflix members with unlimited streaming plans can instantly watch on their Nintendo 3DS systems and other devices, including the Wii console.

To download the free Netflix application or any other content from the Nintendo eShop, Nintendo 3DS users must first install the free system update that became available on June 6.

The Nintendo 3DS system’s parental control settings can be used to manage access to the Netflix application. Parents who wish to manage the specific content their kids watch will be happy to know that the parental control settings associated with their Netflix account will be applied to the streaming content viewable on the Nintendo 3DS system.

For more information about Nintendo 3DS and its other features, visit http://www.nintendo.com/3ds.

Bugpy

Bugpy said:

Brilliant, all you complaining about getting video content later that Europe, and you get a mainstream service compared to us getting 2 videos we couldn't care about.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

...Well that was ironic, lol.
Anyways yeah...I'm hoping for 3D sometime as well, and still hope for movie downloads as well...You know, for on the road and that sort of stuff. :p

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

Whoo hoo! Glad we're at least getting this. This news makes me at least 80% less mad at Nintendo of America's activities as of late.

Nickno

Nickno said:

Im too mad at Netflix to care. Doubling the cost of what we already have is a load of crap. Instead of $8 for 1 DVD and unlimited streaming, its now $16 for both. So ya, this news makes me mad, cuz we turned off our streaming part since it isnt worth 8 bucks alone.

Hardy83

Hardy83 said:

I don't blame Netflix for the cost increase. I blame the movie companies who's licenses expired demanding more money.
This isn't a cash grab by Netflix, it's them dealing with greedy companies who have all the content.

Also, unless theirs 3D movies, I guess this is neat news, but pretty much every smartphone or console can stream Netflix, so it's nothing special.

Retro_Gamer

Retro_Gamer said:

Wow, that's really good news. Can't wait to see how it all runs on a 3DS, I wonder if they'll ever do 3D movies.

Link79

Link79 said:

Cool! Now I can watch old He-man episodes on my 3DS!
Hope we get some 3D movies later on.
This is better than that Video player that Europe and Japan got.

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

I don't do the DVD thing anyway, so that whole hulabaloo about the price going up doesn't affect me. If I want to watch a movie, I want to watch it right then and there, not wait two days for a package to arrive. As long as the streaming only option is still there and is still under $10 a month, I'll be a happy Netflix subscriber.

iphys

iphys said:

Perfect, and I was just about to cancel my Canadian Netflix on Friday because there's nothing I want to watch anymore, but at least I'll get a chance to try it out first.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Well, that's very welcome news! I don't have Netflix, but I might consider it when they start doing 3D movies.

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

I seriously think I won't use Netflix. (Unless it's the free month which I was waiting to use for a year now) but even if, Netflix Canada only has a few shows and movies worth watching.

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

YES! Sucks that I'm on a trip right now. Might try and get it for the flight back. Why does everything good come out for the eShop while I am away?!

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

Awesome news, but for me it's almost pointless as I never take my 3DS outside my place and i could just get Netflix on the bigscreen for my PS3 or Wii.

Still, it's tempting to watch a little TMNT on the 3DS. B-)

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

I usually just watch Netflix on my 360, but if I am in the living room (no 360), this would be convenient.

realar

realar said:

Holy crap! What a shocker! The only oversight to these services is no Flash on the browser, that's one notable flaw but otherwise we're golden.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

The idea has grand potential, if I used Netflix. I say Nf needs more competition to lower it's prices.

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

Wait... If the Wii netflix was OK (according to people I know) will this one turn out well enough to watch on the small screen, with the graphics of a gamecube?
And can I bring it with me on the go (as In will it just be a load and then it won't lag, or will it be loading as I watch it, like YouTube

bonesy91

bonesy91 said:

so what, I will now be able to watch a movie (or half a movie considering the 3DS battery life) at McDonald's?....... Hooray? _ this kind of just seems like a pointless thing but OK...

siavm

siavm said:

This will quiet you complainers for a while. But seeing how netflix is on pretty much ever device now, what was the point of complaining? And please don't say for the nintendo video service. It sounds cool they are doing it but don't expect anything you really want to watch.

Crunchy_in_milk

Crunchy_in_milk said:

You would think they would've announced the release date for netflix at the same time that they told everyone that North America wouldn't be getting the video channel until... Who knows when. It would have kept a lot of gamers from getting as angry as they did.

Moco_Loco

Moco_Loco said:

@42: the prices are actually going up in part because of competition from other companies. Now that there are other streaming services available, the movie and television studios are now offering their content to the highest bidder.

Issun

Issun said:

What's Netflix ? I'm kinda confused ! I'm seeing it everywhere in the US media, but still don't understand what the deal is ^^'' (we don't have it in France)

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

The 2-3 hour battery life applies when everything is on including 3D. Netflix isn't running 3D as far as we know, so it will last longer than one movie :P

pikku

pikku said:

Haha anyone still complaing that EI got the video thing first? >:3

GASP, unless EU is getting it tommorrow too! D:

ianmage1

ianmage1 said:

"It could come tomorrow, next week, next month..." TOMORROW IT IS! Wow. I really wasn't expecting this at all. I was expecting next month for sure...

Chris720

Chris720 said:

Shame EU will never get Netflix... dunno what Nintendo are going to do to give us EU guys a TV/Movie service. Sure, there is Lovefilm, but I think I read somewhere they have a contract with Sony so only the PS3 can get Lovefilm. :(

Also... Netflix >>>›››››››››› Nintendo Video.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

Neat

...but not all that useful when everything beyond the level of a watch in my house already plays Netflix, and I'd much prefer the TV for clarity or the iPad for mobility.

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

Excellent. Just in time for the price hike and millions of people cancelling!

...seriously, Netflix, what the heck?

(Also, I hope this doesn't give me a "system files are corrupted" error like the Wii Channel keeps giving me.)

thanos316

thanos316 said:

netflix is getting a price hike. i was looking forward to actually picking up a 3ds later this year and getting netflix, but after i heard of the price hike im thinking i might pass on netflix.. but hope video streaming works well on the 3ds. looks like nintendo is on point

k8sMum

k8sMum said:

a question: if the 3D on the 3DS works by going in depthwise, will regular 3D movies which work just the opposite show correctly?? also, if 3D movies require glasses in theaters and home televisions, how will that play out??

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

Typical Nintendo never announcing any dates until it's almost out.

For some reason I'm liking that strategy.

Azooooz

Azooooz said:

Wow, good for you guys, Unfortunately, for me, it will not be useful to me,although I have NTSC Nintendo 3DS. I live outside of US, and Netflix is not available in my country.

Tony3DS

Tony3DS said:

I can’t imagine watching Netflix on a 3DS when I have the Wii attached to my 32 inch television at home. Of course I’m excited to try it out at least, and hopefully they will have streaming 3D movies available some day soon (please Netflix!...at least a few). The only other time this might come in handy if I’m on vacation at a hotel with Wi-Fi. But on vacation you don’t want to waste too much time watching movies.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Forgive me for not leaping for joy I am still ticked at Netflix for their new pricing policy.

AltDotNerd

AltDotNerd said:

@Capt_N
Sitting in a restaurant, hooking up to their wifi, accessing my netflix account, & watching a movie...LIKE A BOSS!

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

I saw alot of posts about this on my Tumblr, and I was wondering if it was actually true. I'm really excited, I'm gonna get my Netflix account up again!

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

Well.. Netflix seems to beat Nintendo Video in terms of choices.. To watch movies.. So, it's all good :)

Bigrat

Bigrat said:

OMG YESSS NOW I CAN WATCH MACGYVER ALL DAY LONG(My computer can't play netflix.) I LOVE YOU NETFILIX! I LOVE YOU NINTENDO! hahaha, a little over excited?

zionich

zionich said:

Whats bad is I would be more excited if I didnt find out last week that Android finally got there Netflix. When the 3D movies start streaming I'll be excited again.

WhiteTrashGuy

WhiteTrashGuy said:

So now we will have Netflix on our XBOX, Wii, Android, Laptop, and 3DS. Now the whole family can ignore eachother!

Peznaze

Peznaze said:

Ah, Netflix' latest salvo in their war on those costly plastic rings. Stream on your Wii, on your PC, on every device! Just don't make them buy, store, ship, and maintain those archaic optical coasters and Netflix will be much happier.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

This news was gonna excite me a bit until greedy Netflix announce their price change to their service. I'll probably wait and see how it would go first, for now i'll just enjoy what's on the eShop.

Sadsack_Awesome

Sadsack_Awesome said:

Damn, Americans get to use their 3DSes to watch practically anything from TV including movies with "Netflix, the application that loves America and hates all decent countries" while all we get is a magic trick and a cartoon...
raises middle finger at America

SMW

SMW said:

Happy birthday to me! Netflix launches on my 25th! Now I just need to get me a 3DS...

Rags

Rags said:

yup! I sure will be downloading it. Though, I hope someone can enlighen me... Do buffering times depend on internet speed, or hardware power?
I'd hate for the experience of watcing netflix on here to be crippled by rediculous loading/buffering times...

HanuKwanzMasBif

HanuKwanzMasBif said:

SCORE! WOO HOO!
One thing to say to you darn Europeans gettin' that darn Nintendo Video before us... IN YOUR FACE!

Samholy

Samholy said:

streaming, no download... anyone knows if we can pre-cache a video ?

cause the time i will be able to watch something on my 3ds is in the bus. i cant stream in the bus, so i need to be sure i can pre-load the videos and watch them later.
youtube can do it, but netflix?

HanChan

HanChan said:

This is really exciting. Even with the price hike I love Netflix (I can watch Doctor Who all day long if I like ). As for the people who are saying mean and nasty things to other countries, you really shouldn't act that way. No one likes the hear people say bad things about where they live, so let's try to act civil and keep hurtful things to ourselves

DrDaisy

DrDaisy said:

With the prices of Netflix services constantly spiking, their expanding platform service just isn't that interesting anymore.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Netflix is great and all, but Japan has free video streaming services, and honestly, I'd be happier with the channels they have then a payed service.

rdvid

rdvid said:

Lol, some of Europeans want Netflix,and some americans want to have free streaming services :P

Its a small world after all.

Tails

Tails said:

Loving Netflix so far on 3DS. Watching some Cartoon movies, and some Lewis Black. Ahh i love this service :3

tanookisuit

tanookisuit said:

The video quality on this big app on the little screen is fantastic, the menu is much like the ps3/360 setup with general categories or you can tap out what you're looking for. The audio and video are as clear as on the tv over a console/netflix able box, and it never dropped a beat.

I ran on a full battery Full Metal Jacket which is about 2 1/2 hours long and it only ate a 1/4 of the battery up, and not once did I get poor or outright signal loss(buffering.) Seemed fitting with Nintendo's lame policies on language, violence, boose, sex and the rest. :D

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

@tanookisuit: (122): "Seemed fitting with Nintendo's lame policies on language, violence, boose, sex and the rest. :D"
On both the Wii and the 3DS, Netflix and the web browser (and possibly the photo channel) are the only places you will ever find nudity on a Nintendo Console.

I just activated Netflix on my 3DS. I also have it installed on my Wii and PS3, although to date I've primarily used it on the PS3.

EDIT: The app takes considerably longer to load on 3DS :P
EDIT2: I believe the application is still somewhat buggy, considering the loading screen sits there indefinitely and there are no thumbnails of any videos.
EDIT3: I powered off my 3DS, rebooted Netflix, and it's working now.

tanookisuit

tanookisuit said:

Fired up as fast as it does on the Wii from what I remember, a bit slower than PS3, but I didn't have any missing images or information ever on mine. I think it is a hit and miss issue.

Skogur

Skogur said:

I would been nice if we from Europe could get real movies from our 3DS too.