We Pray - Coming To A Console Near You?

Posted by Philip J Reed

Wii is getting cross...

File this one under "Huh?", "What?", and...you know what? Let's not file this one at all.

We Pray is set to be the motion-controlled minigame-based church simulator to end all motion-controlled minigame-based church simulators. If, of course, it really exists...

Check out the trailer below.

According to the Prayer Works Interactive official site it's for real, with a release date of Easter 2010, and an exceptionally lengthy preorder period starting November 20 of this year. (That's not too surprising, though. Jesus was pretty well-known for his patience.)

But is it real, or is this some kind of hoax? Goodness knows. The concept seems a little ridiculous, yes, but when has that stopped anyone before? And you might want to laugh at the preposterously low production values, but I have two words for you: Wisdom Tree.

The more we think about it, the less unlikely it seems. Time will tell on this one. In the meantime, let's just hope it features unlockable Popes.

And that it's narrated by Father Guido Sarducci.

Oh, and that you can purchase absolution in the form of downloadable content.

Anyway, enough joking; that's what the comments section is for.

So what do you think? Is this real? And will keeping it in our homes prevent us from having to pay property taxes?

[via masswepray.com]

cheetahman91

cheetahman91 said:

I doubt it's real. I can go to church and pray without this junk anyways thank you very much.

Knux

Knux said:

This is a joke, right? I can read the Bible and go to church without this.

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

Echo comments 3 and 4. And since when do I "have to wait until Sunday to worship the Lord"?

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

I wanna say my little "fact that shows gaming is big" spiel, but this is just TOO weird. I mean, is this like PETA, where the company is just making games to eff with us, or is this actually mean to be taken serious? I'm sorry, but I can't even COMPREHEND this weird...thing.

EDIT: Love the name choice. They just need to take the M out of "Mass" and I'll be laughing my (Mass - M) off. :D

cheetahman91

cheetahman91 said:

If it IS real, I wonder if it'll be worse than games by a certain company that that Phillip fellow mentioned in the article.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

Certainly a gag.

But on to more important matters: I'd much rather create a Jesus Mii and play It's My Birthday on Christmas than suffer through the above flagellation.

Roopa132

Roopa132 said:

Oh come on that can't be true. I laughed the whole time watching this video. I bet it's a parody.

moomoo

moomoo said:

My family and I laughed so hard when I showed them this. It's totally fake. It was probably used as a starter to a church service.

Percentful

Percentful said:

Seriously, I'm a christian, and this is a little insulting. I'm seriously hoping this is a joke. Playing on a wii is not going to church.

zezhyrule

zezhyrule said:

Fake! Doesn't wisdom tree make christian games anyway? not catholic...
ditto comment 21

AVahne

AVahne said:

can't be real, Nintendo doesn't like games that specifically target a certain religion only. that's why they didn't allow all those christian games for SNES

NintenDude97

NintenDude97 said:

This is weird...0.o I mean you don't have to buy a Wii game to pray! You can just pick up your Bible!

megaboomface2

megaboomface2 said:

this is omg.....................................................................................................................................amazing no1 game for whatever day it is released if it pays to play

Ren

Ren said:

very fake, but funny. I could also see something like this getting made, but it's clearly a parody. Nice job on the ad though, to whomever made it.

TeMPO

TeMPO said:

LOL!!! That's brilliant. The look on the kid's face was killing me too. Nice parody.

MarkyVigoroth

MarkyVigoroth said:

This is obviously a parody. (Besides, due to the Wii supposed to be appealing to EVERYBODY AT THE SAME TIME, I doubt a religion-exclusive simulation game would actually be available in Wii...
Also, the game should be called Wii% Pray.)

The video reminds me of that "We Move: Pain vs. Pleasure" game hoax (since these videos have pretty much the same better-than-the-Wii-can-make character graphics and both use "We" instead of "Wii"). Also, since when does an actual game require more than 1 peripheral (even though one is actually a shell)?

I wonder if this is the start of a viral campaign!

/coming from a rather fundamentalist Christian/

% = Unless they are intentionally trying to avoid using a copyrighted name...

MattL

MattL said:

This is very amusing, and if it turns out to be true I'll feel thrice as happy about being an atheist ;)

Egg_miester

Egg_miester said:

its an odd idea and with region being nearly banned everywhere else on a wii game could be fun if done right, reminds me of the great old nes bible games

Kawaiipikachu

Kawaiipikachu said:

Jesus Christ is this a god awful idea for a game.
It must be blashamphay for this game to be relesed.
Let's hope that the devolopers be repenting for there sins.

geek-master

geek-master said:

im not roman cathlic im non denominational but im sure i wont show my grandma this she would hate me!!

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

Yeah, Im not so sure about this one. I a Christian myself and somehting about this just feels very wrong. Maybe its fake. On the other hand, I loved the blue cartridge on the NES Bible Games where you are David and at the end of the game you got to fight Goliath. That was a fun game based on Christian faith.

primeris

primeris said:

I don't even want to see the video. If this gets made, all parties involved need to lose money, so that something like this never gets made again. (Wisdom Tree blows)

cheetahman91

cheetahman91 said:

After watching the video, I'd say this is about as real as that Wii No Ma or whatever it's called.
They should do a remake of Super Noah's Ark 3D.

JeanLuc_Vaycard

JeanLuc_Vaycard said:

This also reminds me of the Wii breakfast video on Youtube if anyone remembers. Plus the cross remotes look like fake plastic and those kneeling boards look pretty crudely put together.

A-SWE

A-SWE said:

actually... who says this is for wii? Wii aint mentioned anywhere in the video or the site, or am i blind? 0.o

Toko24

Toko24 said:

Wow im...im kinda shocked i finished watching that...(shudders)

Well i think its fake

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

Well, there doesn't seem to be an ESRB rating for it, but that doesn't really count for much.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

@Kawaiipikachu Funny that you should accuse someone of blasphemy right after taking the Lord's name in vain.

I'll file this one under sacreligious. Still, it's a very funny video since I'm not Catholic, but if I was...eh, I'd probably still be laughing.

wanderlustwarrior

wanderlustwarrior said:

I'm not Catholic either, but I'm still pretty offended. Sacreligious indeed, especially with the rites they'd be able to do.

Oh, and how you know it is fake: it's got DLC.

SandMan

SandMan said:

No.... No... No. No! No! No! NO! NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT BURNS!!!

Objection

Objection said:

I'm going to go with this being a hilarious parody/hoax. Although if I didn't need the dumb-looking accessories, I'd probably buy a copy for the S&G.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Yeah, moving up a pew put it over the edge for me. lol.

Quite a few churches use videos at the start of their sermon and this would be a great one to kick off a conversation with the congregation about empty ritual and treating religion like a competition or game. My guess is that this is made for that purpose.

Actually, that's my hope! The alternative is difficult to stomach. Could it be someone's attempt to get kids into the priesthood by making rituals fun? Hope not, because it looks more likely to make those church rituals ring completely hollow.

CptRoboto

CptRoboto said:

I wonder if they will make an evangelical one where you just sit and listen to someone talk for an hour? (j/k)

RedLemon

RedLemon said:

Well that was...icky.

As an atheist, this doesn't offend me in the slightest. However, if it is real (though I'm quite sure it isn't) then I think we've officially reached the low point of Wii's shovelware era.

Of course, one could argue that more effort was put into this video alone then most of the half-baked games flooding the market these days. But I digress...

nitro_rev

nitro_rev said:

I laughed my off when I saw the controller, but when the guy mentioned DLC... oh dear...

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

I'm a religious person, and as such I'm pretty offended by this. I don't think I need to explain why.

WesterHive

WesterHive said:

Wow, Bible Adventures on NES was awesome. I liked being Noah and collecting the animals.

Lonnie2Hottie

Lonnie2Hottie said:

As fake as fake gets. When they started the game, the screen said "press start". No start button on the remote. Besides, I didn't find it funny. I found it way creepy.

Ren

Ren said:

The only thing thats actually frightening is that anyone has any question that this is real. It's a well made video, but jeez, you guys; Haven't you ever seen a parody before? The website is a nice touch, too.

astarisborn94

astarisborn94 said:

I am a Christain and all, but this is no doubt the very worst idea in the history of the Wii.

If this is real, this is going to make Nintendo fans either laugh there off or get furious at Nintendo.

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

I'm a Christian myself... and I don't buy this. The graphics look v-go at best (or whatever that toy system is called) and, let's be honest, how many other Nintendo games really have a mass quantity of DLC? Smash Bros. doesn't count, that isn't mass quantity.

The controller gives it away for me though. One button? Really? I smell another Wii Get Huge!

I don't know if people will be offended at the desanctifications of our/their religious beliefs or at the price tag this would warrent. Game disc, cross controller, kneeling block... I think I'll just go to church this Sunday and do it right.

said:

Wii Pray, huh? they should change the name to "Wii Won't Pay".

Slionr

Slionr said:

.... you gotta be kiddin me :S
as a chrisitan, I feel offended.... realy, this puts us in a bad light for the public, it creats wrong idea of our religious culture......
What a horrible way to advertise a religion and making money out of this....

BlueFlameBat

BlueFlameBat said:

It might be real, and I'm fine with that. If people want to act like idiots "in the name of God," I say let them. Although the peripheral makes it look fake. Why completely cover the entire Wii remote and add a red cover-button? I mean, the bowling ball I can understand, but this?!

Fulgor_Astral

Fulgor_Astral said:

xDDDD OMG... religion is so funny xD

I hope its not a parody, i'll sure be glad to know what kind of fool (dont know if i can get banned in this site, so I'll play safe) buys this.

grenworthshero

grenworthshero said:

I REALLY hope no one actually thinks this is real. There's no way. Lonnie2Hottie is right. I noticed that too. There is no start button.

rhythmheavenfan

rhythmheavenfan said:

I'm Christian and I say that this game is completely fake, just like everyone else thinks. You don't play a videogame to worship God. And you can worship on other days beside Sunday, and definitely without a videogame.

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

Probably a conversation starter for a service (or viral marketing internet campaign) and not real.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Definitely bogus, but amusing. I cannot believe a game with the Catholic overtones indicated would be real (especially the "kneeling peripheral"); it's more fundamentalists that would be interested in making a game to proslytise.

James

James said:

Guys, it isn't even running on a Wii - it's the launch title for a brand new console out early next year!

Ryuuga

Ryuuga said:

<ironic>
Finally, the videogame I've been waiting for! They should also release a Wiiware version of this game, it would be #1 in a few days!
</ironic>
Seriously, this make Super 3D Noah's Ark a true classic.

FantasiaWHT

FantasiaWHT said:

As long as we can nick people and convert them to Unitarians.

I think this particular game is a hoax (largely judging from the really low quality and the high unlikelihood of that kneeler accessory), but I think as a concept it could actually work. Religion is really important to a lot of people, and I think the motion controls could make for some neat interaction.

FantasiaWHT

FantasiaWHT said:

If you notice, neither the website nor the video mentions what system it's for... is it "supposed" to be a plug-n-play? The video doesn't show any hardware.

John3714

John3714 said:

It's fake, guys.

There's no mention in the commercial or site about the Wii, or any console for that matter.

Outrunner

Outrunner said:

Fake. I agree with what zezhyrule said in comment 24. This is Roman Catholic... not Christian.

premko

premko said:

Forget Metroid, forget Zelda, forget Mario ! I`m buying it as soon as it becomes available :)

postmanX3

postmanX3 said:

I... actually think this is real.

According to GameFAQs, it's a "PC" game, but they're not an entirely credible source.

MattL

MattL said:

Don't ask me why I watched this again, but it was even funnier on the second sitting. :D

Sabrewing

Sabrewing said:

Because the ad doesn't mention this being for the Wii actually makes this MORE credible; it could easily be its own little stand-alone console like those little Atari and Sega multi-game things that plug right into the TV, or a PC application like Guitar Praise. However, that brings up the question of whether this company would be infringing on any patents, since it's utilizing a sensor bar in the same way the Wii does.

As creepy as this is, I honestly have a morbid curiosity about it. We'll see if they actually open up preorders for it.

SMW

SMW said:

No one mentioned the big, red win button? Have a seat on the kneeler accessory and shake the cross while hitting the win button to win!

Looks like just another Wii wannabe. Copied the pointer and motion controls. (See a sensor bar below the TV.)

ASDFGHJKL

ASDFGHJKL said:

Ill be getting this with We Move: Pain vs Pleasure next christmas. And next christmas, when you read it, it will still say NEXT christmas.

letsplay

letsplay said:

Wii eat breakfast. Make pancakes. Make fresh orange juice. Unlock secrets in the Kitchen.

MarkyVigoroth

MarkyVigoroth said:

abgar-san, I see that as a rounded body instead of a specific body part.
letsplay-san, I would actually play that "Wii Eat Breakfast" game!

By the way, since everyone seems to be mentioning this:
I am actually not offended, but only rather curious.

SmaMan

SmaMan said:

@24&99
Not to bring this into a heated theological debate, but Catholicism is Christianity.

I also think this is fake, even possibly a fake plug-and-play system. No kid that age (as depicted in the video) is going to know or even grasp the concept of Transubstantiation. That's just one of the many factors I see making this look like a parody and nothing more. I could go on...

Also the site looks fake, too... except the ESRB RP rating is a little bit convincing.

timp29

timp29 said:

Worshipping a false idol!! Major sin!!! Thats one of the 10 commandments... how does that bring you closer to heaven. I want to see if the pope gives this his blessing... har har

SmaMan

SmaMan said:

I don't blame everyone for being confused. The cross controller looks like your average Wii Remote add-on, and the kneeler peripheral looks like a slightly modified balance board. Heck, I thought it was the balance board for a second.

Percentful

Percentful said:

I should restate what I said. I'm not really offended, but this insulting in that this game is stupid, and is therefore portraying christianity [my religion] in a bad manner. When I saw this, I didn't say, "Gasp! They insullted my religion! I am deeply and utterly insulted and dissapointed!" I saw the trailer and said "I hope this is a joke." Somehow, I doubt shaking a remote and pressing a button is going to bring you closer to God-it'll probably bring you closer to your video games.
BTW I'm glad this is Nintendo Life and not youtube, or there would be a 2,000 comment war on religion.

Percentful

Percentful said:

@SmaMan I also don't want to start a comment war. However, Catholicism is similar to Christianity, but different in certain practices. In this case though, I would consider this game more catholic. In my church, we've had a bowling alley, a Disco Ball, a water wall, and now we have a basketball court [which doubles as a tennis and volleyball court.]

SmaMan

SmaMan said:

Really? I thought it flopped since people are tired of paying for the same game with minor modifications.

Rocketship92

Rocketship92 said:

Anyone been on the site? Its definitely a joke but its going to offend many people, wonder whos idea it is.

Sabrewing

Sabrewing said:

Haha, this was a gimmick to drum up interest in the 360/PS3 title Dante's Inferno; the main website redirects to their Facebook account.

Ryuuga

Ryuuga said:

@121: Yeah you are right, I just checked it and every single link on wepray site shows a bizarre warning which lets you watch a trailer for Dante`s Inferno. Pretty interesting viral campaign in fact, but kinda disgusting as well.

Laxeybobby

Laxeybobby said:

It's an elaborate hoax to promote the game Dante's Inferno.

Just click on any of the links to read more from the official web site and you get to the real game..

I can imagine this upsetting the church going folk, using the church to advertise a game based on the devil and hell.

Meffaliss

Meffaliss said:

...Obviously fake to me, it's so esy to spot ... XD
But, if it IS real,... WHAT ARE THEY THINING?!?
I'm going to play some Demon's Crest to recover myself from this fake/or not fake ad...

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

If you disable JavaScript on their webpage, you can click to view the phony screenshots without getting redirected with this "Inferno" crap. The way the people are dressed all identical and male/female are arranged into a checkerboard pattern makes them look more like a cult that a real church. This is really sick. I'm Protestant, not Catholic, but I've been to Catholic services and they're generally ornate and very beautiful, like you can feel a Holy presence. But turning religion into a joke like this to advertise a demonic game is treading on blasphemous. But if they really want tons of negative publicity and a worldwide mass boycott, of your product, and possible moral and legal repercussions, this is the way to do it. Never underestimate the power of a mass boycott!!! I know it really tarnished Disney's reputation badly when the Southern Baptist Convention decided to boycott their animated films, a decision I had absolutely nothing to do with :P

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

What a poor ad campaign for dante's inferno! I understand it's supposed to be a joke, but to some(including me), it's not a joke. It's disgusting, instead. & to add insult to injury, there are plug-n-play rip-offs of all the current gen consoles, or @ least of Wii, & Xbox 360. Some of those stooge (plug-n-play) co.(mpanies) may actually take notice of this, & actually decide to create, & market something very similar to this.

Why this isn't a joke is simply that it takes pot-shots @ a religious faith, in this case Catholicism. I'm Christian, not Catholic, but I still find this pretty disgusting.